PDA

View Full Version : Running the option (Moved)

Slaticus
07-29-2010, 11:09 PM
I am not sure if these belong here but whatever. I have been doing these videos for about a week and figured that I would post them.

The Flexbone Triple Option
http://www.youtube.com/user/Welcome2TheColliseum#p/a/u/2/-eBspE4jZgU

The I Form Option
http://www.youtube.com/user/Welcome2TheColliseum#p/u/3/UsBECjYmaAw

The Pistol Option 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/Welcome2TheColliseum#p/u/6/bjYIS5E6mkY

The Pistol Option 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/Welcome2TheColliseum#p/u/5/mba-Gv_n2sE

The Spread Option
http://www.youtube.com/user/Welcome2TheColliseum#p/u/0/y0jS-hDVvBc

Hope you like 'em. Tell me what you think and what not.

If you have any requests email me at thecolliseum@yahoo.com

JeffHCross
07-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Haven't watched your videos yet (too late, gotta crash), but a quick question ... it seems to me that sometimes the read I'm expecting to use on the option isn't there. Either they're blocking the guy I expect to be free, or something else strange happens. Have you seen this occur, or am I just overlooking the reads on occasion? I'm fairly sure (read: 99.9%) that I know which reads to look for, just sometimes they're not there. It almost feels like NCAA 10 on occasion.

One problem I know I'm having is that the Play Art shows the receiver's buttons, and, depending on formation, that can cover the play art around the player I want to be unblocked. So sometimes I can't see whether or not the read is going to be unblocked.

Slaticus
07-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Most of the time the read is clear for me. Some times the playart does get in the way but I have been running this long enough tog guess with decent accuracy on where they are going to be.

morsdraconis
07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
There's definitely an issue with the playside TE. He doesn't block the DE/LB being left uncovered, but then he doesn't block anyone outside of that unblocked player as well so any type of load up on the playside of the read is pretty much unblocked resulting in you having to give it to your first option and most likely getting stopped for no gain.

I don't know how many times I've had the CPU load up a blitz on the playside of the read option, forcing me to give it to the HB and then getting blown up by a DE or DT because of it.

Slaticus
07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Thats why I really do not run the spread option all that often. The CPU tends to eat it up.

AustinWolv
07-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Spread option:
The CPU catches on to what you are doing, so they'll bring a LB or CB to the LOS just outside of the DE, while also shifting the DL towards the play side (the give to the HB).
You need to be prepared to audible out.
If you are in a 3 WR shotgun set, you can motion the strongside TE over to the read side, and still sometimes get a solid run IF the end man on the LOS crashes on the HB or is picked up by the TE. Any give here to the HB will likely be stuffed and the keep with the QB is risky in that it can get blown up also. If they are sending two on the read side, it will absolutely get eaten up.
The thing is to keep the base and sweep plays running nicely so you can surprise them with the read option. You can't 'overuse' the read option, as they will adjust.

I've also seen where they kept the read side LB or DB blitzing from their normal positions. If you start seeing this, start running bubbles, PA bubble screen (granted, I haven't tested this play enough to say that it works, as I usually just audible out to a pass), etc. Do not go straight PA pass, because the blitzers will smoke you.

morsdraconis
07-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Spread option:
The CPU catches on to what you are doing, so they'll bring a LB or CB to the LOS just outside of the DE, while also shifting the DL towards the play side (the give to the HB).
You need to be prepared to audible out.
If you are in a 3 WR shotgun set, you can motion the strongside TE over to the read side, and still sometimes get a solid run IF the end man on the LOS crashes on the HB or is picked up by the TE. Any give here to the HB will likely be stuffed and the keep with the QB is risky in that it can get blown up also. If they are sending two on the read side, it will absolutely get eaten up.
The thing is to keep the base and sweep plays running nicely so you can surprise them with the read option. You can't 'overuse' the read option, as they will adjust.

I've also seen where they kept the read side LB or DB blitzing from their normal positions. If you start seeing this, start running bubbles, PA bubble screen (granted, I haven't tested this play enough to say that it works, as I usually just audible out to a pass), etc. Do not go straight PA pass, because the blitzers will smoke you.

Unfortunately, because of the instant pressure that the CPU can get, the PA bubble screen is atrocious. It pretty much doesn't work at all.

I wish there was a way to have one of the formation audibles be a screen/bubble screen instead of hoping I have every formation setup having a bubble screen that also has a read option play in it. They REALLY need to make the formation audibles editable. That would be AWESOME.

AustinWolv
07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
They REALLY need to make the formation audibles editable. That would be AWESOME.
That would be great and have thought the same as recently as last night when I formation-audibled to a run but it wasn't the run that I would preferred to have.

When I actually get some free time, going to sit down the PA bubble and see how/where it works.

Slaticus
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I totally agree. That would make this game even better