PDA

View Full Version : By the numbers (true best starter) Excel formula I made up.

johntom2000
06-26-2013, 03:27 AM
speed/acc mc zc awr pc/pr total % best to start (round up If .5 or higher)
#22 187 74 88 73 111 533 76
#26 176 70 82 65 146 539 77
#23 180 76 72 74 146 548 78
#15 176 70 75 81 142 544 78
#18 185 78 71 67 119 520 74
#20 168 73 70 68 136 515 74

I came up with this just out of my head trying to get my depth chart ready for my OD with Old Dominion. I was getting all bunched up looking at who has speed, who this and that. So, I came up with a crazy idea to take skills your looking for that position.Take for example my CB's in the chart above. First total each of them up and divide by the number of skills your look at and round up by the nearest number. (example 10 skills slots/by the total of all the numbers added up) (example 75.5 would be 76, 75.4 would be 75) the finally number you get would be the % of that player being the best to play that position to start. I know its sounds crazy but, heck I am going to try it for the first few games. They are alot of people with high in some areas and low in others areas no matter the OVR in the game is low or high.

If you got two or more players with the same true overall after dividing you take the player with the highest total before you divided it.

Tell me what you think?

Thanks,

John

punter
06-26-2013, 04:08 AM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/punterking/dunce.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/punterking/media/dunce.jpg.html)

souljahbill
06-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Does this work for every position?

johntom2000
06-26-2013, 04:49 AM
Does this work for every position?

Yes.

johntom2000
06-26-2013, 08:08 AM
I am going to run this little experiment for a couple of games with my OD. Then if it don't work I will go back to my previous way of setting the dept chart by overalls and stats. I got a feeling I am on to something.

Quest4Gold
06-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Yeah with no turbo button anymore, I believe acceleration is going to play a big part in this year's game more than any other game before.

johntom2000
06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Yeah with no turbo button anymore, I believe acceleration is going to play a big part in this year's game more than any other game before.

Yes with this forumla every key rating counts. It's not just with OVR and speed anymore. I really thinks this gives the best depth chart possible.

AustinWolv
06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Overall well-rounded players yes, in your CB example. However, look at zone coverage versus man coverage........if you play a lot of zone let's say, your two highest overall guys are some of your lowest at zone coverage. And same thing, if you played a lot of man coverage, one of them is one of your lowest at man while the other is "high" compared to your other CBs.
However, both are high in AWR and PR/PC which in theory is very important.

I think your idea is solid in theory, but you'll have to look at variables of what *type* of player you want for the *philosophy* of what you are calling as well......

johntom2000
06-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Overall well-rounded players yes, in your CB example. However, look at zone coverage versus man coverage........if you play a lot of zone let's say, your two highest overall guys are some of your lowest at zone coverage. And same thing, if you played a lot of man coverage, one of them is one of your lowest at man while the other is "high" compared to your other CBs.
However, both are high in AWR and PR/PC which in theory is very important.

I think your idea is solid in theory, but you'll have to look at variables of what *type* of player you want for the *philosophy* of what you are calling as well......

Very true but, you have to get the BEST player on the field. So you have to balance out your play calling to maximum this depth chart. I still think this will be a game changer no matter what the philosophy is. Which that will be a role into also when trying this. I will run this for a year. I may get smoked. I may stumbled on to something.

majesty95
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Sounds interesting. I may give it a whirl.

johntom2000
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Sounds interesting. I may give it a whirl.

I will be posting the whole system tonight while at work. Stay tuned! An will be running this system my first year of my OD.

johntom2000
06-26-2013, 07:37 PM
I just posted the system http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?7013-The-PTR-System-%28Playing-By-The-Ratings%29&p=206039#post206039 check it out!

JeffHCross
06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Nice to see you're still thinking up stuff like this, johntom. Though Austin is right that this kind of technique really needs to modified for personal preference.

jello1717
06-30-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm sure most experienced players don't bother with OVR ratings when setting their depth charts and instead look at certain ratings that are important for their position. With me, for example, my TE's job is to block so I couldn't give a rat's ass if my TE can catch the ball (obviously it's nice if he can) so I mainly look at RBK, IBK, PBK, and then his receiving ratings if I need a tie breaker. For MLB I value TKL over everything else so I'll sometimes end up starting that 88 OVR MLB with 95 TKL over that 92 OVR MLB with 80 TKL (although that's a bad example since I'd never recruit that 80 TKL MLB in the first place).

I didn't really understand your OP, but it sounds similar to what I do with recruits when it's too tough to decide which one I want to sign. I do weighted averages of the ratings for which I can to see which one is more valuable to me. I give each rating a value of 1-2 and multiply that by their rating to see which one would be better. Below is an picture of what I do for TEs:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/jello1717/weightedrecruitingformula2_zpsac98eb82.png

The top row is my personal weight for each rating (IE. RBK is twice as important to me as REL) and the bottom row is just a copy/paste of what the formula looks like for box Y45 which is simply the weighted average of their ratings.

johntom2000
07-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Nice to see you're still thinking up stuff like this, johntom. Though Austin is right that this kind of technique really needs to modified for personal preference.

I going to give it a shot when the game drops with my OD team. Thanks, I don't know If I could take that as a good or bad comment LOL. I will post my results after my first season. If it don't work out I am going to go with the OVR system of old.

AustinWolv
07-02-2013, 12:38 PM
A good way to test it deeper is to run two simultaneous ODs......one using your method and one using OVR. Then, compare them for which you think works better versus just playing with your system and trying to make a decision based on "feel" alone.
Being able to compare the two ODs gives you tangible results in terms of stats, W-L results, and actually seeing how your position groups play.

johntom2000
07-02-2013, 11:11 PM
A good way to test it deeper is to run two simultaneous ODs......one using your method and one using OVR. Then, compare them for which you think works better versus just playing with your system and trying to make a decision based on "feel" alone.
Being able to compare the two ODs gives you tangible results in terms of stats, W-L results, and actually seeing how your position groups play.

I am planning on doing that my first year of my OD which I have all CPU games. :D Then 2nd year will do the OVR. Then do like you said compare.

johntom2000
07-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I done got my roster broken down and ready to go with my system. Now I am working on my custom playbook. :D I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!