PDA

View Full Version : NBA Live 14 (PS4, XB1) - November 19, 2013

cdj
05-03-2013, 12:18 PM
- Official website says "more details coming soon (http://www.easports.com/nba-live)", but it is not scheduled to be at E3.

- Bad news: Kotaku reports that the team has suffered some layoffs, including the game's Creative Director (http://kotaku.com/ea-sports-also-hurts-after-a-rough-week-of-painful-cuts-483860247). pastapadre claims that "Correspondence with current and former Tiburon employees have painted a picture of disarray and mistrust (http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/04/30/to-surprise-of-few-nba-live-series-found-to-be-on-shaky-ground-again#more-76239)." However, he does not clarify if that is within the team or with upper-level management following layoffs and decisions handed down.

- Good news: It appears NBA Live 14 will include NBA Live Ultimate Team (http://www.goodgamebro.com/2013/04/30/nba-live-14-to-feature-popular-ultimate-team-mode/). I would say that is the best news the franchise has had in three years and it was not something formally announced by the studio.

JBHuskers
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
From what Pasta said, it seems like it will be shown behind closed doors.

Oneback
05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
This game is like a unicorn, until the box is in front of me I don't believe it will actually release.

CLW
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Even money this game NEVER comes out. :nod: Honestly, they have fallen SO............. far behind 2K with basketball it may be virtually impossible for them to gain any traction (at least w/o some MAJOR help from 2K screwing something up completely).

They'd probably be better off going with a college hoops game than an NBA in order to pick up consumers like me who won't buy a NBA game but would kill for a decent college hoops title. But that route has issues as well due to the lawsuit. EA probably should just give up hoops and save the $/resources for other titles.

JBHuskers
05-03-2013, 01:29 PM
While I think there is a place for NBA Live, I definitely think there HAS to be a market for a college basketball game. Has to be.

CLW
05-03-2013, 02:06 PM
While I think there is a place for NBA Live, I definitely think there HAS to be a market for a college basketball game. Has to be.

There would be (probably the same extent as previous NCAA basketball titles) BUT FOR the lawsuit. I just cannot see EA (a Defendant in the current lawsuit) or ANY company touching a "new" NCAA title given the murkiness of the legal grounds they would be standing on.

countryboy
05-03-2013, 04:39 PM

I am not sure why EA doesn't just give up on Live and concentrate on a college basketball game. Gotta believe they would sell just as many c-bball games as they would Live, if not more.

bdoughty
05-03-2013, 04:39 PM
From what Pasta said, it seems like it will be shown behind closed doors.

Always a good sign of a quality game.

countryboy
05-03-2013, 04:41 PM
There would be (probably the same extent as previous NCAA basketball titles) BUT FOR the lawsuit. I just cannot see EA (a Defendant in the current lawsuit) or ANY company touching a "new" NCAA title given the murkiness of the legal grounds they would be standing on.

My fear with this lawsuit is this, and I know it may be silly but I wonder if this goes against EA, what can of worms do we open? Does someone who happens to look like another particular video game character go after that maker claiming they should receive royalties?

I know its far fetched, but think about the world we live in and the things people sue over nowadays.

CLW
05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
My fear with this lawsuit is this, and I know it may be silly but I wonder if this goes against EA, what can of worms do we open? Does someone who happens to look like another particular video game character go after that maker claiming they should receive royalties?

I know its far fetched, but think about the world we live in and the things people sue over nowadays.

It's an "odd" case to say the least to me (but I'm VERY anti-lawsuit in most cases). I find there are a NUMBER of HUGE holes in Plaintiffs' arguments against EA/NCAA in this case including but not limited to: (1) 1st Amendment; (2) "Likeness" are NOT being used by NCAA/EA; (3) the Plaintiffs WERE compensated in the form of a FREE education along with all of the other perks to being a Div 1 Football/Basketball athlete; (4) they have a number of "legal"/procedural arguments for class certification that are just WRONG and the Supreme Court would likely slap it down if/when the class is certified; (5) they have a problem proving actual damages; (6) IF EA/NCAA is liable then why not sue EVERY media outlet on the planet that has published your picture or video highlights from your games w/o compensation/permission (7) etc....

Its just a classic case of LOSERS looking for a PAY DAY against a deep pocket because they cannot/will not take advantage of the opportunities they were given in life.

Unfortunately, American society has changed and these LOSERS now have a > 50% shot at winning this case. They have cherry picked the MOST plaintiff AND class-action friendly trial court and appellate court in America. The ONLY chance the status quo remains is if NCAA/EA decide its worth it to fight to SCOTUS and the SCOTUS decides to take the case and rules 5-4 in their favor. That will take years and MILLIONS of legal fees.

The NCAA/EA might just decide to end it settle and STOP making the series ending NCAA Football and any chance of NCAA Basketball returning to video games.

countryboy
05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
It's an "odd" case to say the least to me (but I'm VERY anti-lawsuit in most cases). I find there are a NUMBER of HUGE holes in Plaintiffs' arguments against EA/NCAA in this case including but not limited to: (1) 1st Amendment; (2) "Likeness" are NOT being used by NCAA/EA; (3) the Plaintiffs WERE compensated in the form of a FREE education along with all of the other perks to being a Div 1 Football/Basketball athlete; (4) they have a number of "legal"/procedural arguments for class certification that are just WRONG and the Supreme Court would likely slap it down if/when the class is certified; (5) they have a problem proving actual damages; (6) IF EA/NCAA is liable then why not sue EVERY media outlet on the planet that has published your picture or video highlights from your games w/o compensation/permission (7) etc....

Its just a classic case of LOSERS looking for a PAY DAY against a deep pocket because they cannot/will not take advantage of the opportunities they were given in life.

Unfortunately, American society has changed and these LOSERS now have a > 50% shot at winning this case. They have cherry picked the MOST plaintiff AND class-action friendly trial court and appellate court in America. The ONLY chance the status quo remains is if NCAA/EA decide its worth it to fight to SCOTUS and the SCOTUS decides to take the case and rules 5-4 in their favor. That will take years and MILLIONS of legal fees.

The NCAA/EA might just decide to end it settle and STOP making the series ending NCAA Football and any chance of NCAA Basketball returning to video games.

I agree 1000% with what you said. As I don't see how this could go any other way but in EA's favor. BUT with that said, the bolded part is what worries me. In my heart of hearts I can't see them doing that, but anything is possible.

Rudy
05-03-2013, 11:27 PM

The college basketball games never sold well. The market is soft and that's why both EA and 2K dropped it. The lawsuit is just the last nail in the coffin unfortunately for you guys.

gschwendt
05-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Gibeau: NBA Live coming in fiscal 2014
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/07/gibeau-nba-live-coming-in-fiscal-2014/

JBHuskers
05-07-2013, 05:12 PM
:up:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

gschwendt
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
@owengood: Frank Gibeau, on conference call, strongly hints that NBA Live is a next-gen title
http://twitter.com/owengood/status/331882348083810305

gschwendt
05-17-2013, 10:56 PM

CLW
05-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Kyrie is my boy and all but he looks UGLY in Live 14 on One:

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/773019123.jpg?1369159961

cdj
05-22-2013, 06:46 AM
It's pretty clear more time was spent on Madden, FIFA, and UFC in that CGI trailer than on NBA. However, the more "skin" that is shown in a CGI trailer, the worse it usually looks.

CLW
05-22-2013, 06:48 AM
It's pretty clear more time was spent on Madden, FIFA, and UFC in that CGI trailer than on NBA. However, the more "skin" that is shown in a CGI trailer, the worse it usually looks.

I believe 2K has said they will be on PS4/One at launch so if Live sucks at E3 I can almost guarantee another cancellation and maybe EA just takes its ball and goes home for good.

Escobar
05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
They just need someone who has a concept of Kinesiology to design the player models. Just because someone is tall and skinny doesn't mean they don't have muscle mass. Ricky Rubio looks like Dirk Nowitzki in that video. And the same thing when they show the side shot of RGIII running. He looks ultra skinny. They need to model the players' bodies and clothes as different layers. It looks like they are trying to do them all in one and that is causing the akwardness of the look.

countryboy
05-24-2013, 02:12 PM
I believe 2K has said they will be on PS4/One at launch so if Live sucks at E3 I can almost guarantee another cancellation and maybe EA just takes its ball and goes home for good.

they will be.

I am not sure how Live can catch up at this point. They are so far behind they would need a rear view mirror to see how far ahead 2K really is at this point.

I know College basketball games don't sell well and I understand the lawsuit that is in place, but I gotta believe EA would make more money selling a college basketball game vs a NBA game.

bdoughty
05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I would rather see 2Ksports jump back into the college game. Since we would know what to expect. Let EA bungle another Live game and be done with it. They should just stick to making an NBA Street game.

JBHuskers
05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
If they would have stayed on the Live 10 path, there wouldn't be any bungling. That game was good.

bdoughty
05-24-2013, 07:50 PM
If they would have stayed on the Live 10 path, there wouldn't be any bungling. That game was good.

It was getting good and so was NCAA Basketball but they decided to take a giant dump on their customer with the later and try to turn the former into NBANHLNBA 11 and the rest is history. I can't see them making a comeback. To 2K's credit they got out of hockey when they realized EA had a superior market, though a much smaller base than basketball.

JBHuskers
05-24-2013, 07:52 PM
It was getting good and so was NCAA Basketball but they decided to take a giant dump on their customer with the later and try to turn the former into NBANHLNBA 11 and the rest is history. I can't see them making a comeback. To 2K's credit they got out of hockey when they realized EA had a superior market, though a much smaller base than basketball.

Yeah the great thing was how you had to play NCAA and NBA different to succeed.

It's EA, I don't rule out a comeback eventually. They have a lot of proving to do though.

Rudy
05-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Live 10 was pretty good. Fans of that series will buy and people looking for a change from 2K may as well.

countryboy
05-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I would rather see 2Ksports jump back into the college game. Since we would know what to expect. Let EA bungle another Live game and be done with it. They should just stick to making an NBA Street game.

I would as well, but I truly don't see that happening.

EA's last installment of the college game was on the right track, but sadly they decided to quit on it and its fanbase.

cdj
06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
EA's release following the Xbox One reveal basically confirmed NBA Live 14 is headed solely to PS4/XB1 but today sites are tripping (http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/6/4402300/nba-live-14-ps4-xbox-one-exclusive) over (http://www.operationsports.com/news/636325/nba-live-14-confirmed-for-release-on-xbox-one-and-ps4-only/) themselves (http://stickskills.com/2013/06/06/nba-live-14-to-be-exclusive-to-the-xbox-one-playstation-4/) to (http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/06/nba-live-14-will-release-exclusively-on-ps4-and-xbox-one/) report (http://sportsgamershow.com/post/52330491934/nba-live-14-exclusive-to-xbox-one-and-playstation-4) this newfound fact.

Their "source" is this Games Industry International article (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-06-nba-live-14-dev-on-the-rebuilding-years) that also discloses that Sean O'Brien is back with NBA Live team.

O'Brien worked on EA's NBA Live and March Madness games for over a decade, culminating in a role as senior producer on NBA Live 10, the last game in the series EA actually shipped. After NBA Live 10, O'Brien left EA, spending the next two years working on mobile games. But after the mishaps with Elite and Live 13, O'Brien was convinced to go back to EA, moving from Vancouver to the Live team's new home in Florida to head up development on Live 14 at Tiburon.

"It was very hard to take," O'Brien said of watching the franchise's struggles from afar. "The hardest thing was there are a lot of people that were good people who knew what to do. You have to understand that at the time, there was different leadership. I think there was a bit of a lack of understanding on how to make a basketball game at a senior level within our brand. And that changed when [EA Sports head] Andrew [Wilson] came in. That changed when Daryl came in. When I was asked about coming back, that for me was a big thing. Is there a commitment and is there an understanding of what it takes to make a great basketball game?"

O'Brien visited the Tiburon studio and was convinced. As he saw it, returning to EA was an opportunity to "right the ship," and in the process do right by everyone who had ever worked on the series in its glory days, as well as those who went through the turmoil of the last three years. Now the pressure is on to produce.

"One of the things people ask is, how's it not going to happen again? Well number one, we can't let it happen again," Holt said. "All eyes are on this, from the top of the company through the team. And we've opened up a level of transparency such that at any time, someone can look at and see how this is going, an open communication so that anyone on the production line can pull a lever and say, 'We've got a problem here.' This is one of our most coveted brands that we need to bring back to a level of quality that it deserves."

cdj
06-10-2013, 04:08 PM
NBA LIVE 14 Trailer from E3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UAwdHWkZXQ4

cdj
06-10-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't like that the trailer for Live 14 is comprised mainly of CGI, but from 0:09-0:14 it appears to be in-game footage. Not enough to tell much, but it's more than we've seen (officially) in the last three years.

JBHuskers
06-10-2013, 11:40 PM
I like the sound of BounceTech when it'll come to steals, the difference between good and bad ball handlers, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rudy
06-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Sizzle videos do little for me. Same goes for Madden's vid. Show me a real gameplay clip from a real gameplay camera and hopefully more than a minute. Not an instant replay close-up angle but something I would actually play with.

JBHuskers
06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Sizzle videos do little for me. Same goes for Madden's vid. Show me a real gameplay clip from a real gameplay camera and hopefully more than a minute. Not an instant replay close-up angle but something I would actually play with.

:nod:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cdj
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
The popularity of Cavaliers All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving has grown exponentially since his arrival in the NBA from Duke two years ago. It took another big bounce on Monday when he was introduced as the cover boy for EA’s long-awaited NBA Live 2014.

http://imgick.cleveland.com/home/cleve-media/width620/img/cavs_impact/photo/12911376-mmmain.jpg

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2013/06/kyrie_irving_on_cover_of_ea_sp.html)

CLW
06-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Love me some Kyrie (hell I named my newest dog after him) but even he cannot get me to buy Live over 2K unless EA takes a quantum leap which has yet to be seen.

I'll believe it when I see it with Live.

cdj
06-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Some early features have been listed on the official product page (http://www.easports.com/nba-live):

bounceTek
Unlock the full potential of the dribble with all-new physics-based bounceTEK technology. Whether it’s Ricky Rubio’s wrap around or Kyrie Irving’s devastating hesitation dribble, NBA LIVE 14 puts the control back in your hands.

CourtQ
CourtQ is the brain of NBA LIVE 14. More than 70 unique statistics and tendencies power every single player on the court, utilizing the same data used by all 30 NBA teams. Players evolve and so does CourtQ, downloading updates from every NBA game.

NBA LIVE WORLD
With fresh content and challenges on a daily basis, NBA LIVE 14 delivers a new experience each and every time you pick up the controller.

JBHuskers
06-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Some hands-on thoughts from community member ZFarls:

Got to play some Live yesterday and enjoyed the controls. I can really see the moves in game from the video now. The dribbling makes sense, and I was able to pull a spin move similar to Madden without being told, thinking "this makes sense" and it worked. The signature dribbles are great too, and I hear that Rondo will be different. I think the art is impressive and will feel less CGI once you get into replay. Need to play more today to see if I feel good left stick control with the dribbler too.

cdj
06-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Open Letter from Executive Producer Sean O'Brien (http://easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-xbox-one-ps-4-e3).

An excerpt:

The first thing that I wanted to do when I got to Orlando was set the direction for the team. After playing and evaluating the state of NBA LIVE and talking to as many people as I could, I realized that the overall vision was lacking. When you are creating any type of product, you need to understand what your end goal is and that needs to be based on what the consumer and the market is demanding. I want NBA LIVE to be an authentic NBA simulation rooted in the sport and lifestyle of basketball. My first priority was to focus on core gameplay. We needed to capture the essence of half-court basketball, providing 1-on-1 isolation both in the perimeter and the post, the 2-on-2 chess match that is the pick and roll, while still offering the gamer the opportunity to push the basketball in transition and have the control required to get the ball into the lane to either take the ball to the rim or find an open teammate if the defense collapses.

To help me do this, I went out and got some of the best talent internally and externally. One of the things I knew I wanted was the best locomotion and player movement engineers in the company. I was fortunate enough to recruit Gary Paterson as my Senior Creative Director, who previously worked on FIFA and was the architect who delivered physics to that franchise. Gary felt that we needed to innovate with dribbling and that no game had truly captured the control required when the gamer was dribbling the basketball. I then had Gary work directly with Scott O'Gallagher, a former professional basketball player turned gameplay designer, and together they have designed an incredible ball handling system with NBA superstars and great ball handlers having their own set of dribble moves, animations and real world speed and skills that you'd expect.

I'm also really proud of our partnership with Synergy Sports Technologies. They are a great partner and I feel privileged that we have exclusive access to the same data that all 30 NBA teams use for scouting teams and players. This is the data they use in order to prepare for upcoming games, finding the advantages or insights needed to try and gain the advantage on their opponent. I want NBA LIVE to be relevant to the NBA fan throughout the entire NBA season, providing data and content updates that keep your gaming experience fresh and in lockstep with everything that's going on in the real world NBA. I want to remove subjectivity from how we rate players and have that data provided by Synergy Sports to completely drive how the game plays. I'm really excited about being able to update our game within an hour of something happening in the NBA. We're going to be making an enormous investment into this connected experience.

There has been a lot of talk the last few years about how great NBA LIVE was going to be. The “talking” is over. The vision is a simple one: To create a great basketball game exclusively for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. My commitment to our fans is to be open, honest and transparent about what we're doing, how we're doing it as well as why we're doing it. Obviously, with NBA 2K in the picture, I can't reveal our entire feature set, show you just how good 5-on-5 gameplay is starting to play and just how amazing our visuals are coming together this early in the summer. But that will come.

All I can say is that I'm extremely proud of the NBA LIVE team and where this game is as we approach our internal alpha. What we're doing isn't easy and I'm really excited about the progress we've made. I believe that our direction is the right one. The ball is in our court and we need to execute. No more screw ups and definitely no more excuses.

Look for more of these from me and other members of the team throughout the summer and early fall as we finalize NBA LIVE 14. Post questions and comments and I'll do my best to answer each and every one of them. I understand the skepticism and if I were you, I'd be skeptical too…or maybe cautiously optimistic. I'm not asking you to pre-order the game based on the E3 dribbling demo and a blog post. I'm simply asking you to give us a chance and we'll let the game do the talking. Something that I'm sure is long overdue in your minds (and ours).

SmoothPancakes
06-20-2013, 03:58 PM
When I saw Open Letter, first thing that came to mind was they were cancelling it again. :D

Rudy
06-20-2013, 04:06 PM
When I saw Open Letter, first thing that came to mind was they were cancelling it again. :D

I thought so too lol.

CLW
06-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Breaking down the letter:

EA paid me ALLOT of Cash Money to come back and relocate his family (more power to him)
Live sucked after I left
B/c of the above I had to recruit an entire new team b/c the old one couldn't make a game if their lives depended on it
Dribbling is the focus - (I don't get this or agree with it there is so much more to basketball than And 1 mixtape tour moves which are really traveling violations)
Data driving ratings - (i like this there is so..... much available now about players they could go to extremes with this -- hot spots on the floor for a player etc...)
2K may/probably still going to kick Live's [censored]

JBHuskers
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
The Science of bounceTek (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-bouncetek-technology)

Gary Paterson is the Senior Creative Director for NBA LIVE 14, which releases later this year on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Gary joined the FIFA team in 2006, and he was instrumental in creating an all-new dribbling mechanic that gave players freedom on the pitch, as well as working on the introduction of 360-degree dribbling. Gary joins the NBA LIVE team with plans to revolutionize the game's dribbling control in the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTKlhjiU7Co&feature=player_embedded

THE ISSUE

As heard at E3 from Cleveland Cavaliers PG Kyrie Irving and NBA LIVE 14 Executive Producer Sean O'Brien, dribbling is the most important fundamental skill in the game of basketball. Basketball gamers spend about 50 percent of their playtime dribbling the ball, but despite that stat, dribbling had been one of the most underdeveloped mechanics in every basketball game to date. That had to change.

The basketball genre has been hampered by a dribbling mechanic that has the following flaws:

- The ball can be stuck to the player's hands, as seen in the video above

- The ball magically floats into the player's hands, bouncing in mid-air

- Players change direction without an animation

- Players get stuck between animations

While some of these issues may seem cosmetic, they speak to the deeper flaws of the genre. Authenticity is huge in our games. Players expect our game to look, feel and respond like it does in real life. With our old technology, that could not be achieved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGKYRjF75M&feature=player_embedded

WHAT WE'RE DOING

The goal of bounceTek is to completely separate the ball from the animation in order to create a physics-driven dribbling mechanic where the ball is under the same physical forces seen in the NBA. This mechanic will result in authentic responsiveness as opposed to rigged animations.

As you can see in the footage above, red lines will appear to show the ball when it's under the effect of physics. The red cages are called contact cages. If the ball passes through the cage, then the player is able to touch it. The third set of lines is called the player warp track, which allows us to control an animation so that the player is fluid and able to turn in any direction. By taking a look under the hood of NBA LIVE 14, you can see that the physics are not being faked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzyURsNoRs&feature=player_embedded
HOW THIS HELPS THE GAMER

As stated earlier, our fans require authenticity from EA SPORTS. Everything from the look, feel and responsiveness in our titles. bounceTek will take all of these elements to the next level.

- The dev team recaptured all of our dribble animations in order to give players the responsiveness they were looking for.

- Our technology allows us to ensure that movement is as fluid as it should be in order to deliver authentic gameplay.

- Our dribbling has something called "Authentic Responsiveness," which means the ball is controllable when it touches the player’s hands, ensuring that control is responsive when it should be and unresponsive when it should be. While that sounds counterintuitive, it's important to create the depth required in a top-notch dribbling system.

- Depth is created through decision-making and risk-reward options that forces users to think about what they want to do with the ball in their hands.

Dribbling has been stagnant in basketball video games for far too long. In NBA LIVE 14, that's changing with the all-new bounceTek dribble system.

NBA LIVE 14 will be available later this year for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Preorder today, and be sure to check the NBA LIVE website, Facebookand Twitter for updates throughout the summer.

Kingpin32
07-18-2013, 08:59 PM
I wish they would show other aspects of gameplay other than this dribbling.

jaymo76
07-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Not gonna lie... that trailer does very little for me. Oh I get what they are trying to do but it just doesn't draw me in. Now, announce an NCAA BASKETBALL 15 and I will be very interested!

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 11:39 AM
The cover athlete was known, but this video will show you what that cover will look like for NBA Live 14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZi5TJn588&feature=em-uploademail

SmoothPancakes
07-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm still waiting to see actual gameplay video outside of pre-rendered clips and bouncing videos. I'm not even willing to try the demo at this rate. This game is supposed to be coming out this year (if I'm remembering right), and all we have are pre-rendered videos, cover athlete announcements and videos about ball physics. Not exactly make me any interested there EA.

I OU a Beatn
07-25-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm still waiting to see actual gameplay video outside of pre-rendered clips and bouncing videos. I'm not even willing to try the demo at this rate. This game is supposed to be coming out this year (if I'm remembering right), and all we have are pre-rendered videos, cover athlete announcements and videos about ball physics. Not exactly make me any interested there EA.

I could be wrong, but there's more than likely a reason why they're showing so little. :D

CLW
07-25-2013, 01:53 PM
I could be wrong, but there's more than likely a reason why they're showing so little. :D

Yep I still think its a 50/50 prop that it even comes out this year. :nod:

Kingpin32
07-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Well it is a "launch" title.

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Yep I still think its a 50/50 prop that it even comes out this year. :nod:

I think there is no if's and's or but's on this year. It's coming out.

CLW
07-25-2013, 06:03 PM
I think there is no if's and's or but's on this year. It's coming out.

LOL I hope so and I hope it's good but given the track record and lack of any info just over 3 months out doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. competition is best for the consumer so two products is always better than 1. make 2K step up its game i'm all for it. just don't hold your breath.

Kingpin32
07-25-2013, 06:32 PM
I just want it to help make 2K better. I haven't bout it since 2K12, simply because it felt the same, and I HATED the passing. Matter fact, I don't even think I bought 2K12, it was 2K11.

SmoothPancakes
07-25-2013, 07:44 PM
I just want it to help make 2K better. I haven't bout it since 2K12, simply because it felt the same, and I HATED the passing. Matter fact, I don't even think I bought 2K12, it was 2K11.

Same. I have only ever bought two NBA 2K games, being 2K11 and 2K12, and haven't cared about 2K13 and don't care about 2K14, just because the changes aren't big enough to warrant another purchase. I never gave NBA 2K any consideration in the past, because NBA Live was also damn good. NHL 2K was the same, only NHL 2K game I played was 2K9, that I got as a gift. Never bought any others because that series didn't even remotely measure up against the EA NHL series in my opinion.

NBA 2K is fun, but they just don't do enough from year to year to warrant a new purchase, especially with many gameplay issues that go ignored.

Unfortunately, 2K is only good at basketball. MLB 2K was ATROCIOUS. That was one of the buggiest, glitchest goddamn games I ever played. Bought 2K9 and 2K10, never touched that heaping pile of shit again. NHL 2K may have been fun, but it just seemed too arcadey to me. NBA 2K is fun but they don't make any big additions or changes from year to year, and don't bother fixing issues with the gameplay and controls.

MLB 2K is the main reason why I don't hold my breath at all when it comes to all this clamor for them to renew the NFL 2K series (or a college football game). It may have been good back in the PS2 days, but a lot has changed since then. If they fucked up so badly on a simple sport like baseball, I just don't trust them to make a good football game, at this point, from scratch. People constantly say just take the old game and do what you need to make it run on the 360/PS3, yeah, no. To even make it worth a shit, you've got to make a new, up to date engine for it, and gonna have to do a shit ton of reworking to get the graphics, the physics, any animations, the changes/updates in divisions, teams, rules, etc.

However, EA has screwed up so much with the NBA Live series since its last release. They should have done what they needed to improve it, but doing what they did all but killed the series at this point. Even if they get the game out this year, after all the shit the past two years, I'm sure as hell not buying it. At most, I'll pick it up used for cheap of eBay or rent it from Gamefly (if I ever get around to getting a Gamefly subscription), but I sure as hell won't be buying it new.

Even now, at the end of July, EA still can't provide us with gameplay videos of the game. All we've seen are videos of how pretty the ball will bounce in the game. Yeah, that doesn't exactly drive me wild and make me go out and separate myself from $60 to buy it. Even if they do actually release this game (the fact that this release has been cancelled, what, two times now?, doesn't fill me with confidence for NBA Live 14 being released), and manage to revive the series, it's gonna be a minimum of two or three releases before I'd be willing to buy an NBA Live game brand new. For now, all my trust and confidence in the series has been lost after the last couple years.

cdj
08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
EA SPORTS AND UNDER ARMOUR TAKE THE COURT (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/under-armour-elite-24)

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/Image/NewsArticle/nba-live-under-armour_656x369.jpg

NBA LIVE 14 will feature a brand-new career mode: Rising Star. In Rising Star, gamers will be given the chance to write their own history as an NBA player. Whether it’s modeling your career as a scoring point guard or an athletic big, it’s up to each player to decide how they want to dominate the game and earn Rising Star Points to improve their skills.

The first challenge is making your mark in the EA SPORTS Draft Showcase powered by Under Armour. How well you ball on the Under Armour court will determine your Draft potential, and where you’ll start your NBA career.

Manage your player’s career for up to 25 years in the league, growing from a role-player coming off the bench to an NBA All-Star. When it’s all said and done, will you be the next NBA Superstar?

In addition to in-game integration, EA SPORTS is a key partner for the 2013 Under Armour Elite 24 event in New York. The 8th annual game and activities will take place at, and around, the newly constructed custom outdoor basketball court at the Tobacco Factory in Brooklyn, NY on August 23 – 24. The game airs live on ESPNU at 7 p.m. ET Saturday, Aug. 24.

CLW
08-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Nothing really groundbreaking there as almost all sports game have a single player career component at this point.

jaymo76
08-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm curious how many people will give this game a chance? Me personally... I won't be purchasing it. Who knows, maybe this is a train-wreck waiting to happen or maybe it will be an excellent offering? I want to see EA basketball back but I want it to be the NCAA variety.

SmoothPancakes
08-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I'm not buying it, at least not within the first couple months. I'll be waiting for loads of reviews to come in about it and even if it ends up miraculously being a hit, I'll wait for a price drop to $30 or $40 if it's any good.

After the last two years of failed releases, and we're still waiting for actual goddamn gameplay videos of this game, nothing but pictures or pre-rendered videos so far, I'm not touching this game before spring 2014, if ever.

cdj
08-28-2013, 08:46 PM
DIME Q&A: GO BEHIND-THE-SCENES WITH THE DESIGNERS OF NBA LIVE 14 (http://dimemag.com/2013/08/dime-qa-go-behind-the-scenes-with-the-designers-of-nba-live-14/)

An excerpt:

Taking The Game To The Next Level and How It Has Changed Over The Years

Ryan Santos: I think we’re at a really unique position here with the launch of the next-gen consoles. The sort of advantage we have is that we’ve been able to just focus on NBA Live for next-gen. What that gives us is the ability to take advantage of next-gen hardware. So with that hardware, with each cycle, each transition year that we move up in hardware we’re able to really harness the things that we’ve always wanted to recreate in a basketball game. So it gets more authentic. The AI (artificial intelligence) behaves a little bit more smartly. The players look just that much more realistic. We’re able to get performance from these guys that really show off the emotion of the sport and give you that next-gen detail that you’re looking for. I think we’re able to use technology like the ignite engine to really push our sports games forward.

Looking back at previous-gen titles, I’ve worked on a lot of the basketball games then and we were always bound by certain things in the hardware. We had all of these great ideas but we were being held back by the technology and I think moving forward, we’re going to be able to see a greater sense of authenticity in the game with the next-gen consoles.

RF: To add to that, a key element that you’re going to see that’s unique to Live, especially being on next-generation platforms is that every single day you play, you’re always going to have a heartbeat connection back to NBA Live. Every time that you turn it on, if there’s new shoes that drop, there’s new player updates that drop or AI with Synergy Sports, you’re going to get that stuff within the hour in some cases. That’s really unique moving forward and something that’s never been done as far as we’ve handled stuff. You’re always connected to the service.

Scott O’Gallagher: Obviously these new consoles have so much more space. So like today- you saw that we captured six of Damian Lillard’s signature moves and we can do that for damn near every player in the league if we want to. It’s just the time of getting in and now we have the [memory] space to do it where before, you didn’t have enough room to do so.

RS: You buy the game at launch- it’s going to be a different game every single day. We’re giving you that enhanced experience throughout the season. You can keep up with your teams, what’s going on in the league from tattoos and sneakers to actual stats and how that effects the AI and how the game plays.

bdoughty
08-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Looking back at previous-gen titles, I’ve worked on a lot of the basketball games then and we were always bound by certain things in the hardware. We had all of these great ideas but we were being held back by the technology

EA blames hardware more than Obama's staff blames Bush. Pretty sure the development team were not bound by the hardware the past few years, they were bound by ineptness. New slogan "if it's in the game, we will deliver it when the technology arrives."

I would not even buy NBA Live 14 as a prank gift, that would just be cruel.

CLW
08-28-2013, 09:28 PM
EA blames hardware more than Obama's staff blames Bush. Pretty sure the development team were not bound by the hardware the past few years, they were bound by ineptness. New slogan "if it's in the game, we will deliver it when the technology arrives."

Yeah its pretty close to the "Bush's fault" excuse. Bottom line, in the major sports where EA had/has competition they got their [censored] kicked and left town. They are trying to come back but they are so.... far behind in good will/mind share its going to be a long difficult road to get back to even being competitive with 2K much less over take them.

Rudy
08-29-2013, 07:19 AM

This is SO true. I am so sick of EA (and some defenders of EA) using the hardware excuse. While I'm sick of the 2K5 comparison (especially since it was full of flaws itself) there are things in 2K5 on a PS2 that Madden still didn't get right on a PS3. Is late game management a hardware issue in Madden? Was the cpu running the ball 80% of the time on 1st and 2nd down last year a hardware issue? No freaking way. These current consoles have a ton of power. While we are limited by the graphics they are not limited by intelligence. Intelligently coding something does not take a lot of horsepower, just brains and knowing how to get it done.

cdj
09-05-2013, 08:56 PM
A new blog recapping the Under Armor Elite 24 event (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/under-armour-elite-basketball?sf16882386=1) shows some of the mo-cap process and also an in-game look at Kyrie Irving's player model.

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/Image/kyrie-render-1.jpg

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/Image/kyrie-render-2.jpg

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/Image/kyrie-render-3.jpg

Kingpin32
09-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Still. No. Gameplay. Both next gen consoles are 2 months away, and this has to be the least shown launch title, next to other EA Sports title, Madden.

SmoothPancakes
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Yep. Still can't get any videos of ACTUAL in-game gameplay being played on a next-gen console. EA is doing nothing but making me not care at all about this game. I don't give a shit how great the players may look, how great dribbling the ball is now, how many different ways you can dribble the ball, etc. I don't give a shit! Show me some goddamn gameplay!

CLW
09-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Still. No. Gameplay. Both next gen consoles are 2 months away, and this has to be the least shown launch title, next to other EA Sports title, Madden.

Yep. Still can't get any videos of ACTUAL in-game gameplay being played on a next-gen console. EA is doing nothing but making me not care at all about this game. I don't give a shit how great the players may look, how great dribbling the ball is now, how many different ways you can dribble the ball, etc. I don't give a shit! Show me some goddamn gameplay!

Yep. There MUST be a reason why as well especially since they aren't worried about a PS3/360 title they want to sell units of before PS4/XB1 launch.

cdj
09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
2K says we will not start seeing learning more about next-gen NBA 2K14 until late this month and I'm guessing neither will show five-on-five until October.

Review Fix has an interview with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien (http://reviewfix.com/2013/09/review-fix-exclusive-nba-live-executive-sean-obrien-talks-nba-live-14/):

Review Fix: How does it feel to be releasing the game after all the delays, drama and events over the past few years?

Sean O’Brien: The team has worked tirelessly to create an authentic NBA simulation video game rooted in the sport and lifestyle of basketball. It definitely hasn’t been an easy road over the last couple years, and we all (fans and developers) have had enough of the drama. We aren’t done with the game yet, but the E3 and fan response throughout the summer is keeping the team highly motivated and great things are happening every day at the studio.

Review Fix: Do you expect gamers who were faithful to the series to jump right back on-board?

O’Brien: We have a lot of LIVE fans who want us back and want us to be successful, but realistically they are going to be skeptical…and we don’t blame them. We need to prove ourselves by delivering the game they want. We want them to try it out and tell us if we did right, and where we need to go moving forward.

Review Fix: How high are expectations this year?

O’Brien: Do you have a really tall ladder? We place high expectations on ourselves and hold each other accountable to create a game that aligns with our vision for the franchise. From a gamer’s perspective, equally as high…we’ve been out of the game for a while and a strong competitor owns the genre.

Review Fix: What’s your favorite element of this year’s game?

O’Brien: With all the hard work the team has put in this year, it’s difficult to isolate one element. We are doing so many different things for next-gen that weren’t present in previous generations. Personally, I think one of the elements that will really create a sports-genre defining feature is our online connected experience. NBA LIVE will be relevant, competitive and social with content and feature updates being pushed to connected gamers throughout the entire NBA season. Statistics and tendencies that drive our AI will be updated within an hour from when it actually happens in the real world, as well as new game challenges based on that night’s real world NBA performances, served up the same night. That is something that has never been done before in any sports video game.

Review Fix: What do you think separates this year’s game from other editions of “NBA Live”?

O’Brien: This year’s game is taking a huge step forward with the next-gen platforms. We are introducing a lot of firsts for the franchise including, a physics-based dribbling mechanic, regularly updated stats and tendencies, a new locomotion system giving the player unprecedented control and authentic responsiveness, lifelike HD graphics, a completely rebuilt our 5 on 5 game engine and more.

JBHuskers
09-06-2013, 04:50 PM
2K isn't showing any next gen stuff til the end of this month, so they're not showing any more than EA is, to be fair.

CLW
09-06-2013, 05:24 PM
2K isn't showing any next gen stuff til the end of this month, so they're not showing any more than EA is, to be fair.

That's true. However, 2K has a "legitimate" reason for not doing it. Namely, they have PS3/360 units they want to see and get consumers to buy both the PS3/360 version and trade it in for PS4/XB1 when they launch getting $120 out of the "same" game instead of the usual $60.

bdoughty
09-06-2013, 05:55 PM
That's true. However, 2K has a "legitimate" reason for not doing it. Namely, they have PS3/360 units they want to see and get consumers to buy both the PS3/360 version and trade it in for PS4/XB1 when they launch getting $120 out of the "same" game instead of the usual $60.

Bingo...

According to vgchartz

NBA 2K13 5 Million copes sold NBA Live - 0
NBA 2K12 5 Million copies sold NBA Live - 0
NBA 2K11 5 Million copies sold NBA Live - 0
NBA 2K10 2.8 Million copies sold NBA Live 10 - 1.1 Million copies sold

2K sports has a customer base of 5 million customers to worry about on the current gen consoles. NBA Live has? A void and even when they had a game was far behind 2K in sales. So one has to go out of their way to impress the gaming public.

cdj
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Gameplay "coming soon", in-game screens & assets to emerge this week (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-update).

NBA LIVE 14 UPDATE FROM SEAN O'BRIEN

Hey everybody, hope you’ve been having a great summer. The majority of my first summer in Orlando has been spent inside the Tiburon studio. We’ve been working pretty hard to make sure that the return of NBA LIVE is a successful one. It’s been great getting to know the people here on the team throughout this year. I’m really impressed with the dedication and desire to create something great.

You’ve probably seen some of the work we’ve done with Under Armour in-game and during the Elite 24 event that took place in Brooklyn a few weeks ago. Not only was it a fantastic venue, under the Brooklyn Bridge, but the event truly showcased the next generation of basketball superstars.

We were also fortunate enough to get visits from NBA All-Star Kyrie Irving and Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard from the Portland Trailblazers. We had them in the mocap suit to bring their crazy handles to life in NBA LIVE 14.

Having both Damian and Kyrie in mocap this summer, with our focus on redefining how dribbling works in a basketball video game, was invaluable. Their amazing ball-handling will be in the game for you to enjoy on the sticks. It’s really cool hearing from both those guys, as well as others, about how they used to play NBA LIVE and how excited they are to be a part of the comeback.

The game is shaping up nicely and everyone here is very excited. The power of the Xbox One and the PlayStation®4 powered by EA SPORTS IGNITE has enabled us to create a truly stunning basketball game with a great suite of connected features, all surrounding a 5-on-5 gameplay experience that gives you amazing control and authenticity.

We pay attention to our Twitter and Facebook accounts and see what everybody is saying…what’s really cool is that there is genuine interest and even optimism for the experience that we’re creating with NBA LIVE. That being said, we know how you’re beyond ready to see more game assets and a 5-on-5 gameplay video. It is coming soon. I want you guys to see the game as we near completion to get a real impression (without disclaimers) of what to expect when we hit store shelves.

Between now and then, we’ll be giving you a glimpse of what NBA LIVE 14 is all about. In the next few days, we’ll be sharing a little peek of in-game screen shots and what you can expect to see and experience this fall and we’ll continue to share new assets as we lead up to the launch of the game.

Keep an eye on Twitter and Facebook to get the latest news and assets. I’m excited to see what you think and am honestly looking forward to hearing your feedback. This is not a one-and-done scenario. We’re here for the long haul and I hope you’ll join us on this journey.

Stay tuned...

Sean O'Brien
Executive Producer - NBA LIVE

CLW
09-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Kyrie has one of if not THE BEST handles in the league so I'm hoping his mo cap is special to him (and other eliete ball handlers) and not something everyone in the league can do.

cdj
09-12-2013, 11:19 AM
We'll close this one until there is actual game info to show/discuss for those who may have any interest at that time.

gschwendt
09-16-2013, 04:01 PM

JBHuskers
09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Looks sharp!

gschwendt
09-16-2013, 04:34 PM
I just don't understand why they would release something that's not even 1080p (in fact not even 720p)... your first image after a long silence pretty much has to knock people's socks off. Obviously gameplay/video will be the telling portion of this but they failed to impress IMO. Then again I haven't played (much less purchased) a basketball game since CHoops 2K8.

JBHuskers
09-16-2013, 04:37 PM
BTW, release date is November 19th, first Tuesday after console release.

CLW
09-16-2013, 05:17 PM
For whatever it's worth that isn't "gameplay" (unless EA is going with some really odd camera angle). "Gameplay" (to me anyways) is the view a player actually has while he/she is playing a game -- it is not a replay or a screen shot of a replay.

bdoughty
09-16-2013, 05:21 PM
I just don't understand why they would release something that's not even 1080p (in fact not even 720p)... your first image after a long silence pretty much has to knock people's socks off. Obviously gameplay/video will be the telling portion of this but they failed to impress IMO. Then again I haven't played (much less purchased) a basketball game since CHoops 2K8.

For whatever it's worth that isn't "gameplay" (unless EA is going with some really odd camera angle). "Gameplay" (to me anyways) is the view a player actually has while he/she is playing a game -- it is not a replay or a screen shot of a replay.

http://i.imgur.com/5Zneoxp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fSx2vWs.jpg

morsdraconis
09-16-2013, 05:41 PM
It's not even gameplay! EA and 2k both are NOTORIOUS for using screenshots from their little game just starting opening pre-rendered animation advertisement bullshit. That's EXACTLY what that screenshot is from.

cdj
09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
I agree with G & clw that this isn't the most impressive type of screen, but at least it's something. Mors, I actually think this is from an in-game replay. If it was CGI, I think they would do something more zoomed in.

5-on-5 gameplay and soundtrack info coming this week.

Rudy
09-18-2013, 02:18 PM
This is not a gameplay trailer imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjuTvTt1Kik&feature=youtu.be

CLW
09-18-2013, 03:24 PM
What a shock a "gameplay" trailer with ZERO actual gameplay. Yeah it looks great zoomed in for instant replays. However, I need to see how the game is actually going to look/play you know when I play the game.

jaymo76
09-20-2013, 08:48 PM
This is not a gameplay trailer imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjuTvTt1Kik&feature=youtu.be

Just saw this. How could anyone possibly call this a gameplay trailer??? I just want to see what this game looks like...

Rudy
09-21-2013, 03:53 AM
The EA NBA Live account tweeted that I need to be patient. I think fans of the series have been patient too long since it's been four years since an NBA Live game.

I won't be getting a next gen system right away so I won't be buying Live right away. I do know that I really liked Live '10 and prefer the feel and controls of that game over NBA 2K13. I'm just a casual fan but I do hope they get this series back on track. NBA Live '10 WAS back on track imo - the only thing that suffered was the sales in comparison to 2K. Dumping the series was a huge blow to it.

bdoughty
09-21-2013, 07:38 AM
The EA NBA Live account tweeted that I need to be patient. I think fans of the series have been patient too long since it's been four years since an NBA Live game.

THE FOLLOWING REPLY CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME POSTERS OR INAPPROPRIATE FOR...

Tweet them back that while patience is a virtue, tolerance can have an expiration date.

cdj
09-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Per NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/nbalive/?ls=nbahpsplit1), there will be nine total 'feature trailers' for NBA Live 14. (Two in September, four in October, three in November.)

The next two are dated for this Wednesday, September 25 & two weeks later on October 9.

bdoughty
09-24-2013, 12:45 AM
What the heck you guys are slipping. There is a brand new screenshot released today on the NBA Live 14 Facebook page. It is Kyrie Irving dribbling a ball.

http://i.imgur.com/QkYbbbm.jpg

THE FOLLOWING REPLY CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME POSTERS OR INAPPROPRIATE FOR...

Really a screenshot of Kyrie Irving dribbling a ball? :D :fp:

SmoothPancakes
09-24-2013, 03:39 AM
What the heck you guys are slipping. There is a brand new screenshot released today on the NBA Live 14 Facebook page. It is Kyrie Irving dribbling a ball.

Really a screenshot of Kyrie Irving dribbling a ball? :D :fp:

Before all the posts were deleted last week, as I said at the time, all we've had so far have been pictures and videos of balls bouncing, dribbling, Kyrie Irving doing something with a bouncing ball or dribbling a ball. I'm not going to start up a whole 'nother shit storm, but yeah, color me unimpressed so far. It's not even that there haven't been gameplay videos, but that damn near every video and screenshot so far has something to do with dribbling, bouncing balls and/or Kyrie Irving. Is that all NBA 14 is going to be? Dribble a ball around the court with Kyrie Irving? Show us something new!

I'm already spending $500 for the Xbox One, plus another hundred or two for a couple of Xbox One games right off the bat at launch. This game is going to have to be as good as getting a blowjob from a professional blowjob model (and EA has to actually SHOW us that greatness) if I'm even going to consider buying this game in November. Right now, I'll just wait until next July or August, after the price has already gone over the a cliff, and then wait until Amazon or someone has it on sale at a yet even deeper price cut, before I'd consider buying it.

Either that or I'll only play it through Redbox rentals or Gamefly (if I ever get around to actually signing up for it) and completely forgo ever purchasing it. Right now, after these past couple years of one debacle after another with this series (plus the yearly issues with Tiger Woods, NCAA, Madden, etc), I pretty much have little to no faith or trust in EA right now not to fuck this up.

bdoughty
09-24-2013, 06:40 AM
This game is going to have to be as good as getting a blowjob from a professional blowjob model

A what? I imagine if such a person existed, they would spend a lot of time playing with balls and occasional dribbling.

CLW
09-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Yep EA is missing an opportunity to get its game out there and get people to consider switching to them with PS4/XB1. It won't be long before 2K starts releasing next-gen vids of gameplay and then that opportunity will have been completely squandered. Then again, if you have nothing to show....

cdj
09-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Yep EA is missing an opportunity to get its game out there and get people to consider switching to them with PS4/XB1. It won't be long before 2K starts releasing next-gen vids of gameplay and then that opportunity will have been completely squandered. Then again, if you have nothing to show....

ICYMI, here is the video (and presumably, quasi-feature) release schedule for Live:

Per NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/nbalive/?ls=nbahpsplit1), there will be nine total 'feature trailers' for NBA Live 14. (Two in September, four in October, three in November.)

The next two are dated for this Wednesday, September 25 & two weeks later on October 9.

I'm not sure where I read it, but some are guessing Live will hold off on anything major until after October 1 (release of CG NBA 2K), hence the two week gap between video two & three.

I agree with your main point in that Live should generally try and get into out first, but I think both companies are playing a game of chicken - neither wants to release something first that the other can 'best' shortly thereafter.

Though, CG NBA 2K hasn't exactly set the world on fire with info, either. (Yes, I know we generally "know what they will offer", but that doesn't help those who do not buy it each year or are looking to pick it back up if not pleased with a prior purchase.) I don't think either company has done a great job (to date) of promoting their title. However, each have seven or so weeks to turn that around.

Part of the marketing decisions for each company may hinge on trying to get the most hype right at console launch (& not two months before), hoping people pick up the game with their PS4/XB1. However, that is more essential for Live than 2K, IMO.

CLW
09-24-2013, 08:17 AM
ICYMI, here is the video (and presumably, quasi-feature) release schedule for Live:

I'm not sure where I read it, but some are guessing Live will hold off on anything major until after October 1 (release of CG NBA 2K), hence the two week gap between video two & three.

I agree with your main point in that Live should generally try and get into out first, but I think both companies are playing a game of chicken - neither wants to release something first that the other can 'best' shortly thereafter.

Though, CG NBA 2K hasn't exactly set the world on fire with info, either. (Yes, I know we generally "know what they will offer", but that doesn't help those who do not buy it each year or are looking to pick it back up if not pleased with a prior purchase.) I don't think either company has done a great job (to date) of promoting their title. However, each have seven or so weeks to turn that around.

Part of the marketing decisions for each company may hinge on trying to get the most hype right at console launch (& not two months before), hoping people pick up the game with their PS4/XB1. However, that is more essential for Live than 2K, IMO.

I agree 2K has done a bad job marketing their current gen game this year. I suspect that is b/c by and large its just a rehash of the previous game with a few tweaks here and there as their main focus has been on PS4/XB1. However, I don't agree with the strategy of not giving out any next-gen features/videos just b/c you want to get consumers to buy your product 2 times this year.

At this point other than possibly Beyond Two Souls I'm not buying anymore PS3 games. Hell I might be the only person here that didn't buy GTA V b/c its basically a great game that I'll play for a month and then boom PS4 is here. That qualifies as rental material for me.

SmoothPancakes
09-24-2013, 12:10 PM
A what? I imagine if such a person existed, they would spend a lot of time playing with balls and occasional dribbling.

Well played. :coffee:

SmoothPancakes
09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
At this point other than possibly Beyond Two Souls I'm not buying anymore PS3 games. Hell I might be the only person here that didn't buy GTA V b/c its basically a great game that I'll play for a month and then boom PS4 is here. That qualifies as rental material for me.

Yeah, that's my boat. I couldn't care less about any more 360 releases. GTA V was the last game I'll ever buy for 360. I'm fine with buying it too, because as long as I can create some sort of defense with sliders in NCAA '14, I'll still be playing my 360 a bunch because of NCAA '14, even with an Xbox One sitting next to it on the shelf. But yeah, other than that, I'm done with purchasing games on the 360. So 2K won't be seeing double money from me, and I venture a guess they won't be seeing it from a lot of people.

CLW
09-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah, that's my boat. I couldn't care less about any more 360 releases. GTA V was the last game I'll ever buy for 360. I'm fine with buying it too, because as long as I can create some sort of defense with sliders in NCAA '14, I'll still be playing my 360 a bunch because of NCAA '14, even with an Xbox One sitting next to it on the shelf. But yeah, other than that, I'm done with purchasing games on the 360. So 2K won't be seeing double money from me, and I venture a guess they won't be seeing it from a lot of people.

Yep I suspect that is a large part of the "bad" Madden 25 sales. People know its coming to Ps4/xb1 and are just waiting it out b/c they don't want to have to mess with paying for 2 games and firing up 2 consoles. The second my Ps4 comes in my Ps3 is moving to the living room to serve as a blue ray player and a movie rental streamer and occassionally i might fire it up when the wife isn't home for some TLOU or some of the other adventure games I have held on to and the free PS+ titles I have loaded on the 1 TB drive.

cdj
09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
After being unsure where people got info on a Live video today (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382967716887281664), some bad info from a fake facebook page (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382974523663872000), NBA.com posted the wrong dates (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382975235252703232), a 'small mix-up' on an 'unadvertised' page on a top 1,000 site in the world (NBA.com) (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382978004193771520), the previously scheduled Video #2 & #3 for Live are now generic September & October releases (http://www.nba.com/nbalive/?ls=nbahpsplit1).

bdoughty
09-25-2013, 08:57 PM
kyrieivingdribblingscreenshotincoming.jpg

Nah, too easy.

cdj
10-08-2013, 09:17 PM
The best game info to date (not saying much, but this is actually some good info) comes via this Gaming Bolt interview with NBA Live Creative Director Gary Paterson (http://gamingbolt.com/nba-live-14-interview-bouncetek-roster-human-intelligence-and-surpassing-the-competition).

Some excerpts & notes:

Gary Paterson: With NBA LIVE 14 being return of the franchise we have reworked or replaced many of the games systems, of which most are enabled or at least made more possible by the power of the new systems. From an animation and movement POV, we have used the additional memory and performance to create new Dribble and Locomotion systems that have 1000’s of new animations. Our animation model has additional skeleton detail allowing improved finger and face animation as well as more realistic model deformation, not to mention a new cloth simulation system.

Ravi Sinha: NBA Live 14 is one of the few games which will be using the Ignite engine. What benefits does it bring to the game?

Gary Paterson: We have had to do extensive surgery to lots of the core fundamentals of the game. Dribbling, Locomotion. Passing, Shooting, Rebounding, Blocking… all of these systems and more have been rewritten or substantially reworked. We could not have done this without EA SPORTS IGNITE. There are so many inbuilt technologies, with the animation tech being especially relevant to gameplay. I don’t want to go too deep into it as much of it is proprietary, but suffice to say that it has allowed us to progress at a rate that could not have been possible without it.

Ravi Sinha: NBA Live 14 is one of the few games which will be using the Ignite engine. What benefits does it bring to the game?

Living Worlds: A LIVE World is all about creating both a social and competitive experience for the connected consumer routed in the authenticity of the NBA. The NBA season delivers consistent excitement and we are looking to do the same with NBA LIVE 14, on daily basis. We’ll give gamers near-daily challenges and content, including alignment with the real-world NBA events throughout the course of the season.

Ravi Sinha: What new gameplay mechanics does NBA Live 14 bring to the table? In terms of any new additions to the Career mode, multiplayer and other features, that is. I will also like to ask whether Dynamic Season, Dynamic DNA and Rewind feature are returning.

Gary Paterson: We recently unveiled Rising Star, our new career mode. Gamers will be able to create a player and build his career from draft prospect to potential NBA All-Star.

As for other modes, we’ll be revealing those closer to launch.

We’ve also discussed a LIVE World feature that will be available for any connected platform. We will be updating in-game player statistics and tendencies throughout the real NBA season, an hour after a NBA game ends. Through our partnership with Synergy, we will push more than 70 updated stats directly to NBA gamers over the course of the season. This provides an even deeper connection the real world of professional basketball ever presented in a video game. If a player goes on a hot or cold streak begins favoring a pull-up rather than a drive through the lane, it will all be reflected within NBA LIVE 14.

Ravi Sinha: Which teams (roster) can we look forward to appearing in the game? Will there be any international teams included as well?

Gary Paterson: All 30 NBA teams with current, and future rosters, will be in NBA LIVE 14. We will not have international teams this year.

Ravi Sinha: Also, which artistes can we look forward to seeing on the game’s original soundtrack?

Gary Paterson: We haven’t announced our soundtrack lineup yet – but do have something special in store for our fans. Stay tuned!

Rashid Sayed: Are you guys planning to use the touchpad capabilities of the PS4’s DualShock 4 or Xbox One’s cloud in some unique ways?

Gary Paterson: We will support some basic functionality on the PS4 touchpad around team management. More details will be provided later. Regarding Xbox One’s cloud services, we do not currently support them. However, we will support the platform standard cloud syncing of your data.

Ravi Sinha: A lot of emphasis is placed on the graphics of a sports game, but the sound is equally, if not more, important. What is the team at EA Tiburon doing to ensure that NBA LIVE 14 has the most authentic sounding basketball experience?

Gary Paterson: Sound has been an exception focus for the NBA LIVE 14 team this year. Without getting into specifics, we’ve absolutely doubled down on the aural experience. From the best in class commentating team, a brand new host from ESPN and an absolutely innovative soundtrack technology, I can promise you, you’ve never heard a game like LIVE.

Rashid Sayed: Is there anything else you want to say to our readers/fans about NBA Live 14?

Gary Paterson: All of us on the NBA LIVE team want gamers to know we are completely focused on the future and delivering a game that is authentic, new and fun. We know all too well, the frustration our fans have felt over the past couple years and thank them for their patience. NBA LIVE is coming back and this is just the first step.

JBHuskers
10-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Touchpad for substitutions would be nice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU using Tapatalk 4

cdj
10-14-2013, 06:59 PM
A couple new screens:

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/Image/victor-oladipo-nba-live-announce.jpg

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1380001_10153324313195627_1740111013_n.jpg

NBA LIVE 14 ANNOUNCES ATHLETE LINEUP (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/irving-lillard-rubio-wall-walker-oladipo?sf18304652=1)

- Press Row Podcast with Gameplay Designer Scott O'Gallagher (http://www.operationsports.com/news/670772/operation-sports-press-row-podcast-nba-live-14-gameplay-with-scott-ogallagher/)

SmoothPancakes
10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
After being unsure where people got info on a Live video today (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382967716887281664), some bad info from a fake facebook page (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382974523663872000), NBA.com posted the wrong dates (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382975235252703232), a 'small mix-up' on an 'unadvertised' page on a top 1,000 site in the world (NBA.com) (https://twitter.com/Ty_Stover/status/382978004193771520), the previously scheduled Video #2 & #3 for Live are now generic September & October releases (http://www.nba.com/nbalive/?ls=nbahpsplit1).

Not looking good.

That page on the NBA site is now completely gone and taken down. That generic September release has already been blown past and missed as we're already halfway through October and still nothing on new videos. So far nothing but more interviews and screenshots. EA's not exactly filling me with confidence in their product. :coffee:

CLW
10-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Not looking good.

That page on the NBA site is now completely gone and taken down. That generic September release has already been blown past and missed as we're already halfway through October and still nothing on new videos. So far nothing but more interviews and screenshots. EA's not exactly filling me with confidence in their product. :coffee:

This has generally been their pattern when they know their game isn't up to snuff. The BIG question is do they pull it again from the market prior to release. If they do there is no point in ever bringing back the series.

cdj
10-15-2013, 03:24 PM

CLW
10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
WOOOOO screen shot. :smh:

gschwendt
10-15-2013, 03:49 PM
2K releases a ginormous screenshot and EA can't even bother to release a 1080p screenshot? Kinda baffling...

cdj
10-15-2013, 04:08 PM
This has generally been their pattern when they know their game isn't up to snuff. The BIG question is do they pull it again from the market prior to release. If they do there is no point in ever bringing back the series.

Given the Live info trickle plus the Madden next-gen video confusion, I think there may be more of an issue within Marketing than with the game. Now, neither game may end up great, but in this case I don't think game quality is what is driving some of these weird decisions.

2K releases a ginormous screenshot and EA can't even bother to release a 1080p screenshot? Kinda baffling...

I noticed that as well. :fp:

bdoughty
10-15-2013, 04:40 PM

Right up there with letting ESPN put next gen Madden footage up in 360p.

cdj
10-16-2013, 05:47 PM
First 5 on 5 gameplay trailer on Friday.

Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZ4Kj2bO7w

SmoothPancakes
10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Please tell me that's not supposed to be Steve Nash. Talk about a horrible player model. And even while it's just a short couple second clip, that was an ugly drive to the basketball. I really hope Friday brings something better.

cdj
10-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Please tell me that's not supposed to be Steve Nash. Talk about a horrible player model. And even while it's just a short couple second clip, that was an ugly drive to the basketball. I really hope Friday brings something better.

EA has always struggled with basketball players models. Too plastic-y, cartoony, or something. Nash looks just like himself in this video....when he was 21.

I understand why they slowed down the ending, but they also slowed down the video of the drive which I think is part of the reason it looks weird.

CLW
10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm SICK AND TIRED of teasers about teasers about teasers. Release a FUCKING GAMEPLAY VIDEO OR SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Rudy
10-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Nash looks just like himself in this video....when he was 21.

I totally agree. I thought that was a young Nash - no way he looks like the near 40 year old he is now.

bdoughty
10-17-2013, 12:37 AM
I totally agree. I thought that was a young Nash - no way he looks like the near 40 year old he is now.

At first I thought that but then I did something, a comparison. JB this is going to blow your mind, I am going to defend the NBA Live team.

http://i.imgur.com/UygY4Yk.jpg

I would say not too shabby guys. Still needs work but to say it does not look like Nash could not be further from the truth.

SmoothPancakes
10-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Alright, I guess the difference between Nash in real life and in NBA Live 14 isn't as bad as it first appeared to me. But it still needs work. And for me, the graphics just plain look like crap. I thought this game was being released on the Xbox One and PS4, not the PS2.

bdoughty
10-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Alright, I guess the difference between Nash in real life and in NBA Live 14 isn't as bad as it first appeared to me. But it still needs work. And for me, the graphics just plain look like crap. I thought this game was being released on the Xbox One and PS4, not the PS2.

We will know how they stack up to 2K14 over the next two days. Personally I do not see things going well for EA sports with the launch games, outside of FIFA and only because of that sports popularity. The leap in terms of technology is just not that great to begin with compared to previous generations. HD has been around for a whole generation and some of the gen before that. The biggest gain will be not having the memory constraints, though one can expect that won't last for long. EA Sports has never been known as a publisher on the cutting edge in the graphics department.

SmoothPancakes
10-17-2013, 02:21 AM
We will know how they stack up to 2K14 over the next two days. Personally I do not see things going well for EA sports with the launch games, outside of FIFA and only because of that sports popularity. The leap in terms of technology is just not that great to begin with compared to previous generations. HD has been around for a whole generation and some of the gen before that. The biggest gain will be not having the memory constraints, though one can expect that won't last for long. EA Sports has never been known as a publisher on the cutting edge in the graphics department.

Yeah, we'll find out. NBA 2K14 today (Thursday), NBA Live 14 tomorrow. Two gameplay trailers that damn well better be longer than a minute, giving us a chance to compare both. As for graphics, yes, while the change from 360/PS3 to One/PS4 is going to be very small, if any, the graphics from that teaser trailer just look, meh.

While gameplay is very important, if the game looks like crap, it's going to be tough for me to consider it. I guess not much to do right now than wait until Friday and compare to what 2K shows us. At the moment though, it's not looking good for EA for next month.

Rudy
10-17-2013, 05:50 AM
I don't even care that much about the graphics although I do expect a nice leap forward for next gen - specifically in animations. I really liked Live 10 even though I'm not a big basketball guy anymore. I just hope this series gets back to what made Live 10 so good and carries forward on next gen. I liked the player controls and movement better than the 2K series.

JBHuskers
10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't even care that much about the graphics although I do expect a nice leap forward for next gen - specifically in animations. I really liked Live 10 even though I'm not a big basketball guy anymore. I just hope this series gets back to what made Live 10 so good and carries forward on next gen. I liked the player controls and movement better than the 2K series.

:+1:

CLW
10-17-2013, 10:50 AM
well 2K's trailer was gorgeous and puts live to shame in terms of player models and the look of the players.

EA better knock gameplay out of the park or they aren't going to get any traction.

cdj
10-17-2013, 10:58 AM
A good feature set could help Live as well. 2k has said next-gen will differ from current-gen, with no Lebron mode, for example. Though, I don't see 2k stripping down next-gen much.

Pre-order bonuses have confirmed Ultimate Team for Live, so that should get some UT diehards on board.

I do agree that the battle of player models has been lost; it's 2k in a landslide.

CLW
10-17-2013, 10:59 AM
A good feature set could help Live as well. 2k has said next-gen will differ from current-gen, with no Lebron mode, for example. Though, I don't see 2k stripping down next-gen much.

Pre-order bonuses have confirmed Ultimate Team for Live, so that should get some UT diehards on board.

I do agree that the battle of player models has been lost; it's 2k in a landslide.

I mean its a team of 5 with the games so..... short u don't need a bench. Seems like UT isn't going to be that big of a money maker for EA on this one.

JBHuskers
10-17-2013, 11:43 AM
I mean its a team of 5 with the games so..... short u don't need a bench. Seems like UT isn't going to be that big of a money maker for EA on this one.

Depends. Hockey is the same amount of players plus a goalie, but with lines. So I'm sure there will be some sort of rotation that matches what a real team does to where it's not the same five guys for 48 minutes.

CLW
10-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Depends. Hockey is the same amount of players plus a goalie, but with lines. So I'm sure there will be some sort of rotation that matches what a real team does to where it's not the same five guys for 48 minutes.

Well I haven't played NHL but with all of the others the games are soo....... short that you don't need to go to your bench at all during the game. Perhaps NHL is different but I just don't see how they do it unless they make the players fatigue REALLY quickly and you have to sub Lebron out after 3 possessions (which I'm sure will make the casuals really happy)

cdj
10-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Another screen, unsure from where. Posted by Steve from OS:

EDIT: Now posted on official product twitter account.

cdj
10-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Here is the official gameplay trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xaRywnnQI&feature=youtu.be&a

JBHuskers
10-18-2013, 10:07 AM
I like it.

CLW
10-18-2013, 10:34 AM
That is NOT a "gameplay" trailer. That's just more of the same. Graphically it looked fine (not as good as 2K).

JBHuskers
10-18-2013, 10:37 AM
That is NOT a "gameplay" trailer. That's just more of the same. Graphically it looked fine (not as good as 2K).

You should learn by now that 2K and EA are going to call anything with actual gameplay a gameplay trailer.

CLW
10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
You should learn by now that 2K and EA are going to call anything with actual gameplay a gameplay trailer.

That might be so however, EA isn't being smart b/c:

#1 - VIRTUALLY everyone knows 2K makes "good" basketball games

#2 - VIRTUALLY everyone knows EA hasn't made a "good" basketball game in YEARS

Therefore, unless EA really shows off the game FEW people are even going to give the game a chance.

bdoughty
10-18-2013, 05:46 PM
When it is all said and done the only the that matters to me is how a game feels in your hands. Hopefully next gen will have demos of all the games so you can play before you pay.

cdj
10-19-2013, 08:29 PM
When it is all said and done the only the that matters to me is how a game feels in your hands. Hopefully next gen will have demos of all the games so you can play before you pay.

IIRC, Sony is requiring all PS4 games to have a demo. I'm assuming it's safe to say Microsoft will do the same.

Not sure where this came from, but Steve from OS says that NBA Live Ultimate Team info is coming on Monday (https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/391635917770743808). Why they don't announce upcoming news & info from the mountaintops is beyond me.

SmoothPancakes
10-19-2013, 11:41 PM
IIRC, Sony is requiring all PS4 games to have a demo. I'm assuming it's safe to say Microsoft will do the same.

Not sure where this came from, but Steve from OS says that NBA Live Ultimate Team info is coming on Monday (https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/391635917770743808). Why they don't announce upcoming news & info from the mountaintops is beyond me.

Well, we've already seen multiple examples of the marketing department not having any clue of what the hell they're doing when it comes to release schedules for gameplay videos and other stuff. So I sadly can't say I'm too surprised that we're just now hearing about this.

JBHuskers
10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Well, we've already seen multiple examples of the marketing department not having any clue of what the hell they're doing when it comes to release schedules for gameplay videos and other stuff. So I sadly can't say I'm too surprised that we're just now hearing about this.

Can't argue with you there.

cdj
10-22-2013, 06:16 AM

During an impromptu Twitter chat on Monday, EP Sean O'Brien said that Ultimate Team info will come next week. However, OS' Steve Noah shared that PR had stated UT info this week (https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/392387733190373376).

During the chat no major info came to light, except that there will be gameplay videos each week leading up to launch.

cdj
10-22-2013, 09:19 PM
- Via pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/10/22/rewind-returns-in-nba-live-14):

Though many of the features for NBA Live 14 have still yet to be revealed the current retailer product description does confirm the return of one that first debuted in NBA Live 09. NBA Rewind – which allows for playing the games of the day in the league as well as those already completed earlier in the season with true to the time rosters and ratings – is back along with a new component called ”BIG moments” which are more focused challenges.

"Live Season: Experience the NBA season as it happens. Take on quick challenges based on each day’s most memorable performances in BIG moments, or play your favorite team’s schedule right alongside them with real-world performance data in NBA Rewind. Can you replicate the feats of the NBA’s biggest stars? Can you shut down your opponent’s star player on his hottest night of the year? See where you stack up on each challenge’s leaderboard both amongst your friends and against NBA LIVE 14 fans from around the world every day throughout the season."

Dynamic Season and NBA Rewind were never officially announced for either NBA Elite 11 or NBA Live 13 after appearing in Live 09 and 10. Also mentioned in the feature descriptions are that Ultimate Team will include legends which has been expected ever since early this summer when legends were confirmed to be part of the product. More on Ultimate Team was scheduled to be released on Monday but instead has been pushed back to next week.

- Unless they change their mind again, a gameplay blog is expected on Wednesday (per Steve_OS (https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/392824277109846017)).

EDIT: Official product Facebook page teasing blog tomorrow:

NEW Gameplay Blog coming tomorrow: Find out how to handle the rock like a pro in NBA LIVE 14!

bdoughty
10-23-2013, 01:55 AM
NEW Gameplay Blog coming tomorrow: Find out how to handle the rock like a pro in NBA LIVE 14!

Rumor: PS4 will offer an option to press :ps3tri: to switch to Maravich.

cdj
10-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Here is the link to a blog discussing and showing bouncetek and dribbling in the game:

http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-signature-styles?sf18648618=1

SmoothPancakes
10-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Actual next gen game play:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-next-generation-of-basketball-is-a-lot-like-th/2300-6415722/

- A recap of from today's NBA 2K14 next-gen press event from Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/features/1717/nba-2k14-next-gen-details-on-gameplay-ai-new-modes-and-more/).

- However as impressive as it sounds, GameSpot is not impressed (http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-next-generation-of-basketball-is-a-lot-like-th/2300-6415722/):
The Next Generation of Basketball is a Lot Like the Last One
Tom is dazzled by the impressive visuals in NBA 2K14, but doesn't feel the improvements he hoped for on the PlayStation 4.

There is some next-gen footage approximately :30 into the video (http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-next-generation-of-basketball-is-a-lot-like-th/2300-6415722/).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V05u5DCnPCs

:whistle:

cdj
10-26-2013, 07:53 AM
:whistle:

I was under the impression from the EP Twitter chat early in the week that they would be showing gameplay each week leading up to launch. However, unless they counted that dribbling blog as "gameplay", they did not show any gameplay this week. :fp: Next week is supposed to be the Ultimate Team reveal, so who knows how much gameplay will be shown with that. (There is a certain amount of irony in perhaps the first major reveal of the game being Ultimate Team - where they want people to spend extra money - when they have yet to show much of anything that would get people to make the initial $60 investment.)

After NBA 2K14 went 'nuclear' in sharing next-gen info, I thought Live would be very surgical and attack in areas where they match or exceed NG 2K14. Instead, they seem to have been scared back into their hole for the rest of the week. They let NG 2K dominate the week as we're about three weeks away from launch. :smh:

CLW
10-26-2013, 08:32 AM
I was under the impression from the EP Twitter chat early in the week that they would be showing gameplay each week leading up to launch. However, unless they counted that dribbling blog as "gameplay", they did not show any gameplay this week. :fp: Next week is supposed to be the Ultimate Team reveal, so who knows how much gameplay will be shown with that. (There is a certain amount of irony in perhaps the first major reveal of the game being Ultimate Team - where they want people to spend extra money - when they have yet to show much of anything that would get people to make the initial $60 investment.)

After NBA 2K14 went 'nuclear' in sharing next-gen info, I thought Live would be very surgical and attack in areas where they match or exceed NG 2K14. Instead, they seem to have been scared back into their hole for the rest of the week. They let NG 2K dominate the week as we're about three weeks away from launch. :smh:

EA's strategy is logical if you assume the game still isn't up to snuff and/or no where close to where 2K is. Just hide the game and sell as many units you can.

cdj
10-26-2013, 09:10 AM
EA's strategy is logical if you assume the game still isn't up to snuff and/or no where close to where 2K is. Just hide the game and sell as many units you can.

Sad but true. The only saving grace is that game quality has exceeded marketing efforts for Tiburon titles for several years now. Perhaps they do not know how to market a sports game where there is competition?

SmoothPancakes
10-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Yep. The way EA is going about this, it is really starting to scare me away from NBA Live 14. Three weeks away and we still know hardly anything and haven't seen squat for actual gameplay. Meanwhile 2K is just killing them with info and video releases in the last two weeks.

If NBA Live had been released the last couple years, I'd be willing to potentially give EA the benefit of the doubt, but with the game cancelled the last couple years, all the articles and news that came out after those releases about the problems that EA and the game were experiencing, and now we're three weeks away from release of the first title since NBA Live 10, and still have seen hardly any gameplay videos, and don't even know all that much about the game other than it apparently has the best dribbling in the history of basketball games, my faith in this game has been shot and left for dead on the side of the road.

At this point, I don't touch this game at release, I don't even touch it through the end of 2013. If I ever buy Live 14 at this rate, it'll be in the spring or something when there are an utter plethora of reviews posted everywhere and this game has been completely dissected by multiple places, and, preferably, after a price drop. Unfortunately, based on the way the marketing has been going for these two games, 2K has already won this year by a landslide margin. All EA can do at this rate is hope to keep or pull back in those who loved Live back when it was good, convince some people to buy both games, or somehow in hell, find a way to convince some to take the chance on Live instead of getting a sure product with 2K.

bdoughty
10-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Life is rough for Live but Steve from OS is kicking sand in their face. He and Beluba are pretty close.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87492829&postcount=21

cdj
10-27-2013, 10:37 PM
- NBA Live Ultimate Team info tomorrow (Monday) per OS' Steve Noah (https://twitter.com/operationsports/status/394632561751646208). [Why EA only seems to announce upcoming news via OS and not everywhere - especially on their own channels - is beyond me.]

- Franchise Mode developer has posted on Twitter he is in SF to show off the game (or what he has worked on) this week, presumably to media.

- Trophy List (http://www.exophase.com/game/nba-live-14-ps4/trophies/) is Ultimate Team heavy and reveals something called EAS HoopsNet. It sounds like the franchise mode has GM & scouting aspects, perhaps modeled after Madden's CCM?

cdj
10-28-2013, 12:31 PM
NBA Live Ultimate Team blog:

http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-ultimate-team?sf18827018=1

JBHuskers
10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
So we can call it LUT instead of NBUT (in da butt) :D

JBHuskers
10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Excited to get my hands on LUT though. Looks like it'll be fun.

cdj
10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
I like the layout and look of the mode based on the pictures shown. Though, I think I'd be more excited if we had some gameplay to go with it. My biggest concern is that there will not be enough people with the game & playing NLUT to make H2H games and the Auction House (provided it is in the mode; it isn't mentioned) active & happening.

I was hoping to see something in the pics about Injury Cards, meaning that injuries would occur in the game. Live never had injuries in any PS3/360 edition. :(

cdj
10-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Three new screenshots and more info coming this week:

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/544129_10153386342280627_786984947_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1384353_10153386342305627_1274577429_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1391811_10153386342145627_1668725179_n.jpg

cdj
10-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Posted around 11 AM CT, it seemed like this implied it might be posted today - but alas, it appears the info will be tomorrow (Friday).

CLW
11-01-2013, 06:59 AM
2 Weeks out and now and no gameplay video. Yep I'm out and its not even in my Q right now as a rental. Clearly they are hiding something. Specifically, the gameplay still isn't up to snuff after 3 years. 2K is clearly the way to go if you want a basketball game.

JBHuskers
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
I doubt they are hiding anything, I've heard by word of mouth from some people that have played it that the gameplay is pretty nice. I get nothing off of pre-released videos anyways.

Rudy
11-01-2013, 03:12 PM
For me the one beacon of hope was Adembroski's twitter rant when he left Madden. He ranted that EA didn't care about the offline gamers in Madden (I can agree with that) and that certain things in franchise will not be improved the way they should. He did rave about the Live team. He liked Live 10 and said this is going to be more like that if the EA execs don't get in the way.

JBHuskers
11-01-2013, 03:26 PM
For me the one beacon of hope was Adembroski's twitter rant when he left Madden. He ranted that EA didn't care about the offline gamers in Madden (I can agree with that) and that certain things in franchise will not be improved the way they should. He did rave about the Live team. He liked Live 10 and said this is going to be more like that if the EA execs don't get in the way.

That was sure an epic Twitter meltdown :D

CLW
11-01-2013, 06:24 PM
That was sure an epic Twitter meltdown :D

I remember that guy from posting at various sites didn't realize he landed a job @ EA for awhile. Would love to see that twitter rant.

CLW
11-01-2013, 06:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBbv-RCUAA7C5C.jpg:large

CLW
11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBa0oECcAAEOoY.jpg:large

CLW
11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBaIm0CIAAkJe1.jpg:large

bdoughty
11-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I remember that guy from posting at various sites didn't realize he landed a job @ EA for awhile. Would love to see that twitter rant.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/12/03/former-madden-developer-speaks-out-regarding-frustrations-and-disappointments

CLW
11-01-2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/12/03/former-madden-developer-speaks-out-regarding-frustrations-and-disappointments

lmao would be surprised if dude EVER got a job working for ANY major company in any industry after that public rant.

jaymo76
11-01-2013, 09:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBaIm0CIAAkJe1.jpg:large

Looking at this pic, I really miss NCAA Basketball. Imagine what could have been on next gen with college Bball...

cdj
11-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Here is a link to the full blog (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-gameplay).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVVe-f1pCo

Theses features look and sound great, but I am unsure on what kind of reach they expect to get posting it late Friday evening. :dunno: It was getting late enough in the day that I didn't expect news to come.

jaymo76
11-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Based on that video, the ability to do "moves" looks a lot less complicated than 2k. That would be a definite positive IMO.

cdj
11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Here is the NBA Live 14 soundtrack (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-soundtrack):

Artist -Track
Ace Hood feat. Anthony Hamilton - The Come Up
Action Bronson - Strictly 4 My Jeeps
Angel Haze - Echelon (It’s My Way)
Big Sean - Fire
Bishop Nehru - Elder Blossoms
Bishop Nehru - Mobb Dizzle
Casey Veggies - Young Winners
Chuckie - Makin' Papers feat. Lupe Fiasco, Too $hort and Snow Tha Product
Danny Brown - Dubstep feat. Scrufizzer
Dillon Francis - Without You feat. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs
Diplo - Crown feat. Boaz van de Beatz, Mike Posner & RiFF RAFF
Diplo - Revolution feat. Faustix & Imanos and Kai
Dizzy Wright - BTT
Flosstradamus & DJ Sliink - Crowd Ctrl 2.0
IAMSU! - Goin' Up
Joey Bad4$$ - Afterlife feat. Kirk Knight
Kat Dahlia - Clocks
Keys N Krates - I Just Can't Deny
Kid Ink - Money And The Power
Logic - Ballin
Lorde - Million Dollar Bills
Major Lazer - Jah No Partial (Heroes x Villians Remix)
Pusha T - Numbers On The Boards
Run The Jewels - DDFH
ScHoolboy Q - Man Of The Year
Skaters - Band Breaker
Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals
Stalley - Samson
Travi$ Scott - Upper Echelon feat. T.I. and 2 Chainz
Vic Mensa - Yung Net Save Peso
Wax Wreckaz - High Grade Riddim

Also, the soundtrack will be expanded upon during the year:

Best of all, the goodness doesn’t stop there. LIVE content updates for the connected gamer is one of our biggest priorities, so MICK is going to continue to select hot new artists and tracks post-launch, giving us the opportunity to update the game with breaking music throughout the NBA season. NBA LIVE 14 will be a source to hear the latest tracks before anybody else. As the game continually plays and looks different based on what’s happening in the NBA, it’ll sound different too – staying on the pulse of the music scene and building on the culture/lifestyle of hoops.

Users can also determine which songs will play in different game modes, which is a first I believe.

bdoughty
11-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Have not heard of a single one of those groups/individuals. I am truly old.

Still think to this day NCAA Football 06 (of all games) and MVP 06 had the best soundtracks. MVP is helped by having the ESPN "other sports" theme.

cdj
11-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Have not heard of a single one of those groups/individuals. I am truly old.

If you count 'featured' artists, I recognize seven names but could only tell you actual songs from a couple.

I think adding in songs throughout the year is a cool feature, along with being able to select the modes they play in.

There was an event in NYC today and Dime Magazine's Matt Gibson had this to say about Live:

He later tweeted that he should have a write-up posted in the next couple of days.

There will be a Press Row Podcast posted Wednesday ("noonish") with Ryan Ferwerda discussing Live's Dynasty Mode. Host Rich Grisham tweeted that the interview & info was "very interesting and definitely [made him] more enthused about the game."

cdj
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM

CLW
11-06-2013, 10:55 AM

It would be nice to actually see/hear this stuff instead of reading tweets about it. EA has really lost the ability to market a game. I have no clue what they think they are doing. It only makes sense to me if the game blows and/or isn't up to 2K and they know it.

cdj
11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
It would be nice to actually see/hear this stuff instead of reading tweets about it. EA has really lost the ability to market a game. I have no clue what they think they are doing. It only makes sense to me if the game blows and/or isn't up to 2K and they know it.

I think EA's marketing crew has lost their mojo. I'm hearing too many good things from other outlets (IE: dev interviews on podcasts) for the game to be completely terrible. Not saying it will be in same realm as 2K, but the more info that comes out, it sounds like there is potential to be good/enjoyable.

cdj
11-06-2013, 11:08 AM
- SportsGamerBlog with an interview of EP Sean O'Brien (http://www.sportsgamerblog.com/2013/11/06/nba-live-14-interview-sean-obrien/). (Where Steve got his info above.)

- Press Row Podcast with Dynasty Dev Ryan Ferwerda (http://www.operationsports.com/news/678025/operation-sports-press-row-podcast-nba-live-14-1-on-1-with-producer-ryan-ferwerda/).

cdj
11-06-2013, 11:14 AM
IGN with an NBA Live 14 Hands-on (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/06/nba-live-14-is-real-and-i-played-it)

More good news: unlike the last time NBA Live rebooted for next-gen back with NBA Live 06, Live 14 won’t be a bare-bones hoopster. Rising Star mode is akin to My Player, allowing you to create yourself in the game and play out your career. A 30-season GM mode is also on tap, alongside head-to-head seasons (yes, entire seasons against your friends), a Best of Seven mode referred to by O’Brien as the “Friends Finals,” as well as the FIFA-esque Ultimate Team. Finally, Live Season has you play out the actual pro year as it happens, with challenges based around that. For instance, if you’d played during last year’s Finals, an in-game challenge might’ve been to hold Dwyane Wade to 9 points or less, based on his bad-knee game against the Spurs in June.

cdj
11-06-2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnxCHTQwoE&feature=youtu.be

Some new screens:

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1455141_10152075119209073_1586004964_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1017187_10152075119304073_190747928_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1456016_10152075119199073_1031448142_n.jpg

gschwendt
11-06-2013, 12:08 PM

JBHuskers
11-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Liking the sound of things here.

CLW
11-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I like the idea of using real life stats to build tendencies and performance. I wonder how "deep" it is. Does a guy like Battier live off of the corner 3s. Can Rondo, Wall struggle with their jump shot? It all sounds interesting. I might check out the demo as it just doesn't appear we are going to see any actual gameplay from EA before launch or I may just rent it at some point to compare how it stacks up what is likely the superior 2K.

gschwendt
11-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm at work so I can't pull up the article but here's this in case it's worth anything...

CLW
11-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm at work so I can't pull up the article but here's this in case it's worth anything...

Maxim? Clearly going after the casuals.

JBHuskers
11-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Some key notes. The soundtrack will update throughout the season. That's interesting.

Playing the challenges throughout the NBA season matching real-life sounds really cool.

gschwendt
11-07-2013, 02:48 PM

SmoothPancakes
11-07-2013, 03:01 PM
:fp: ONLY in Rising Star mode? Please don't be so monumentally stupid EA. I don't really ever edit players, but when I come across something that I think EA screwed up in ratings or equipment or whatever for various players, I'll go in and make a couple minor edits and changes as I see fit.

cdj
11-07-2013, 04:04 PM
That Bleacher Report interview also implies (based on lack of answer) no injuries in-game.

JBHuskers
11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
That Bleacher Report interview also implies (based on lack of answer) no injuries in-game.

Something that I'll never get why this hasn't been implemented, but I can live without it.

SmoothPancakes
11-07-2013, 04:08 PM
:fp: Yeah, I think I'm passing on this now. 2K has already been strongly winning me over with all this stuff coming out about My GM mode (or whatever it's actually called), which I enjoy stuff like that as a change of pace from just the usual playing game after game. So that is already a negative check against EA, now word of no editing rosters (outside of Rising Stars) and now no injuries? Yeah, sorry EA, better luck next year. At MOST, right now, if I had to make a decision, I'd give it one night's rental from Redbox. That's it. No way in hell do I spend $60 on it right now.

JBHuskers
11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Injuries haven't been in Live. So the sky really isn't falling with this.

cdj
11-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Something that I'll never get why this hasn't been implemented, but I can live without it.

FWIW, they had them on PS2.

I *think* the issue with injuries & editing is their reliance on rosters & updating via Synergy.

I can understand them not allowing edits on the front end, but they should allow it once you start a Dynasty.
Along those lines, I don't get why they wouldn't allow/have injuries within a Dynasty, Ultimate Team, Play Now, etc. I can understand no injuries in Live Season, though.

I'm going to guess adding injuries is (currently) more bother than it's worth for a franchise that could barely get out of their own way the last few years. Frustrating, but I'm not surprised. Perhaps they know that most people only do Play Now & Online (basically one-off games), so it's not imperative?

cdj
11-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Blog on LIVE Season (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/live-season?sf19267854=1)

For those who want to relive those amazing highlight-reel plays again and again, NBA LIVE 14 offers BIG Moments. These challenges can range in length from a few seconds to a full quarter, and they’re always relevant to the conversations you’ll have with your friends the day after a game. Think SportsCenter highlights in video game form and you’ve got the basic idea.

Maybe Derrick Rose hits the buzzer-beater to win a huge game. We can then capture that point in time and turn it into a BIG Moment. What’s that? He already did that this year? Yeah, that’s why it’s one of our BIG Moments that you can play the second you put the disc in your console. Jump into the fourth quarter of the Bulls-Knicks game from Halloween with 10 seconds on the clock and take control of Rose as he attempts to sink the game-winner.

While some challenges like the above example may be player-locked, others allow you to take control of the whole team in order to succeed. So if the Bulls score 10 points in the last two minutes of the quarter, you may be challenged to pull off the same feat with Rose, Noah and the rest of the crew. This mixture of player-centric challenges and team-based objectives creates a nice variety of options, and offers something for just about everyone.

All your performances in BIG Moments are tracked on leaderboards, so you can see how you stack up against your friends. BIG Moments also offer HoopsNet XP, so completing them as well as NBA Rewind games is a great way to level up quickly and earn those LIVE Ultimate Team rewards.

cdj
11-12-2013, 07:58 AM
The latest Press Row Podcast talks NBA Live with three members of the development team (http://www.operationsports.com/news/680342/operation-sports-press-row-podcast-nba-live-14-hands-on/).

To gear up for the release of two next-generation consoles in the next two weeks – and the first release of an NBA Live title in four years - Episode 56 of the Press Row Podcast features a complete, unedited recording of host Rich Grisham’s (@richgrisham) sit-down with three NBA Live development team members for the first hands-on play time with the game. You’ll hear Executive Producer Sean O’Brien’s (@seanobs) take on the state of the franchise, producer Ryan Ferwerda (@ryanferwerda) go through all of the game’s features, and designer Scott O’Gallagher (@scottogallagher) take Rich through the controls and play a couple of games. It’s a fascinating peek into how the game is slowly breaking out of its mystery-shrouded shell as it prepares for release on November 19th.

EA also posted five arena screens yesterday (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153443838075627.1073741836.231749955626&type=1): Dallas, Oklahoma City, Brooklyn, New York, and Orlando.

cdj
11-15-2013, 06:25 AM
A look at the Presentation in NBA Live 14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7kQr2q3zQ

CLW
11-15-2013, 06:40 AM
So a guy on Twitter has the game and says it is AWFUL and the game has NO sliders. :smh:

SmoothPancakes
11-15-2013, 07:05 AM
So a guy on Twitter has the game and says it is AWFUL and the game has NO sliders. :smh:

No wonder there hasn't been crap for marketing for this game. :smh:

Oh well, in the last week or two, NBA 2K14 won me over with MyGM and MyCareer (or whatever the actual name is). Sorry NBA Live, but better luck next year.

cdj
11-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Gameplay video available in this Twitch archive. (http://www.twitch.tv/sportsgaminguniverse/c/3245050)

I only watched a few minutes, but didn't think the game was that bad to warrant the current marketing effort it has received.

At 7:27 of the video above, it shows there are some sliders and there may be even more not visible.

jaymo76
11-15-2013, 12:04 PM
The half-time show is excellent IMO. I really enjoyed what I saw on twitch. As to the gameplay and visuals... they won't win any awards but it kind of reminded me of NCAA Basketball 10.

JBHuskers
11-16-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm streaming live. CDJ joining in soon.

JBHuskers

I OU a Beatn
11-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Watch about 30 minutes of the stream after the Florida game. As someone with a lot of fond memories of NBA Live on PS2, it pains to say this, but that truly looks terrible. Does it at least play nice?

morsdraconis
11-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Is it just me or is the stream quality REALLY bad? It's pixelated and I can barely see what's happening.

oweb26
11-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Watching JB stream I honestly think the game looks exactly like it did before they revamped it.....I am going off of some really old memories so I could be totally off base here, but damn the gameplay looks exactly the same. Just a tad bit prettier.