PDA

View Full Version : Writer gives up the internet for a year... lives to tell the tale

gschwendt
05-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I’m still here: back online after a year without the internet (http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/1/4279674/im-still-here-back-online-after-a-year-without-the-internet)

Very interesting article... you can read Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/he-unplugged-from-the-internet-for-a-year-this-is-what-486481616) for the abridged version (ie the results) but would encourage you to read the full thing.

morsdraconis
05-02-2013, 05:08 AM
It's interesting stuff to think about. A cousin of mine did something similar for 4-5 months and said it was a good break from the stupidity of the internet, but, in the end, life without the internet just isn't as interesting and far more difficult to actually do some things.

oweb26
05-02-2013, 07:58 AM
That was a pretty interesting read......I don't think the internet makes us any less or more productive (well at least for me), mostly because outside of casually browsing a few sites I really don't have any real dedication to the internet, I don't tweet, I don't do facebook, I have a google + page that only has my sister and brother in my circle and I don't really post here that often.

Most of my internet time comes at work when I'm just fucking off, but do I believe the internet stops me from reaching my full potential no, do I think video games do absolutely. I can still remember how much shit I was able to get done when my xbox RROD each time ( 5 in total) and how much time I felt like I had, all in all it boils down to who you are, I am actually able to now unplug at the drop of a hat and not really miss it (video games and Internet), I actually get more satisfaction fixing on my car than I do anything else right now and that requires none of this.

What I did find interesting about this is he wrote an article about being on the internet; on the internet, of course most of his audience would come to the same conclusion he thinks he just came too. I think there is a little part of the internet that makes us less productive and down right lazy, but at the same time the internet has made alot more things useful and frankly the knowledge base I have on some topics comes purely from the internet.

What really matters is are you 1. like a 16 year old kid that can't unplug and actually have a meaningful damn conversation, or 2.can you sit down and actually talk to real people and don't feel like you are detoxing or some shit ...its pretty simple in my eye.

If you fall into category 1 then I am pretty sure your life would be more productive if you unplugged, if you fall in point 2 then you are probably about as productive as you are going to be with or without the internet.