PDA

View Full Version : NCAA 14 trick plays?

Unconquered
05-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Has there been any info about new trick plays in NCAA 14?

The series has been sorely lacking in trick plays: reverses, double reverses, reverse passes, WR double passes, end around-flea flickers, a hook and lateral that can actually work from time to time (Circus never works), and on and on.

The trick plays in NCAA 13 didn't cut it.

natetcu
05-02-2013, 08:04 AM
The problem, imho, with these trick plays is that the defense does not play correctly. The goal of most of these plays (irl) is to get the defense to over commit to one side, commit to the run or mess up their gap assignment. In the game however, the opposite side DE almost always stays home (because he follows the play, not cuts up field to chase it down), the corners and safeties never drop out of man coverage to bite on the run (in almost every successful reverse pass play, the CB or S just stops covering his man to provide run support), and the defense does not even use gap assignment, so you can't get them out of their gaps. :smh:

Unconquered
05-02-2013, 11:38 AM
The problem, imho, with these trick plays is that the defense does not play correctly. The goal of most of these plays (irl) is to get the defense to over commit to one side, commit to the run or mess up their gap assignment. In the game however, the opposite side DE almost always stays home (because he follows the play, not cuts up field to chase it down), the corners and safeties never drop out of man coverage to bite on the run (in almost every successful reverse pass play, the CB or S just stops covering his man to provide run support), and the defense does not even use gap assignment, so you can't get them out of their gaps. :smh:

True. And the lack of real momentum also means that plays like a reverse probably wouldn't work.

That said, I'd still like the option to try these plays. It just doesn't feel like college football to me without some of these gadget plays.

Jayrah
05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
True. And the lack of real momentum also means that plays like a reverse probably wouldn't work.

That said, I'd still like the option to try these plays. It just doesn't feel like college football to me without some of these gadget plays.I'd like to see player awareness go into things like this. Maybe one safety is a 90 awr player and stays home, but your other safety jumps up a couple steps before realizing because he's a 55 awr player. This is what the "linked play" mechanic should be accomplishing imo.

AustinWolv
05-08-2013, 06:01 PM
What has been missing longer in an usable way from the NCAA series are trick plays on special teams.

Jayrah
05-09-2013, 01:15 AM
What has been missing longer in an usable way from the NCAA series are trick plays on special teams.True dat. Special Teams and Special Forms like Wildcat and such. The blocking on both for the trick plays is just rancidly undeveloped

ram29jackson
05-09-2013, 01:43 PM
option plays are enough trick plays for now LOL.

they purposely make the defense stupid and suck players away from the ball to make it look like option plays really work.

..does Boise still have the trick play from a few years ago ?