PDA

View Full Version : State of Decay (XBLA & PC)

bdoughty
04-12-2013, 03:40 PM
June for XBLA, do not know when it will be released on PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GWymrASLIYg#!

Dev Walkthrough from PX 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-HCLEMfXoM

I OU a Beatn
04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
I can not wait for this to release. I've been following it's development for so long and I can't believe it's almost time for it to be released. Easily the most ambitious console downloadable title yet.

bdoughty
04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/16/4-hours-in-state-of-decays-open-world-zombie-nightmare

4 hours with State of Decay.

JBHuskers
04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
This looks. BADASS.

bdoughty
05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Looks like it might be hitting June 5th.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/30/another-day-in-the-zombie-apocalypse-ign-plays-state-of-decay-episode-1

JBHuskers
05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Awesome. Considering I have :msp: burning a hole in my pocket after the sale and etc :nod:

bdoughty
05-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Part 2 from IGN

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/31/ign-plays-state-of-decay-episode-2

JBHuskers
05-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Yah. Getting this :nod:

beartide06
06-02-2013, 02:42 AM
I'm addicted to this game and it hasn't even released yet. For what it's going to priced at, this is an absolute steal, and could be one of my favorite games of the year, along with The Last of Us.

I OU a Beatn
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
It's OFFICIAL!

http://undeadlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/poster-480x611.jpg

JBHuskers
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
YES :))

gschwendt
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Now for them to go ahead and wrap up the PC release and I can be happy as well... I bet it's 6 months though.

bdoughty
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
So pumped for this.

bdoughty
06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
First Review.

http://www.oxmonline.com/state-decay-review?page=0,0

+ Open world full of enticing structures and hidden loot; noise management adds lots of tension.

+ Appealing mix of stealth, melee, and ranged combat; weapons galore; base/character upgrades.

– Mediocre graphics; minimal story; permanence of death may bug some players.

? How come zombies can climb fences but not ladders?

8.0/10

JBHuskers
06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Graphics don't bother me. So nothing there really scares me.

bdoughty
06-04-2013, 02:35 PM
I think it looks just fine for an XBLA game.

JBHuskers
06-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I guess I've never seen.....is it 1200 :msp:?

bdoughty
06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
1600 $20. Not really bothered by the price due to the scope of the game and the hours I will put into it.

JBHuskers
06-04-2013, 02:53 PM
...and the fact that I got about 6800 points for $30 recently too :D

I OU a Beatn
06-04-2013, 03:20 PM
They took off points for mediocre graphics? In a game like this, who cares? I REALLY don't understand taking off points for permanent death. I mean, I think that's the whole selling point of the game and makes for a much more intense experience. When did gamers become a bunch of pussies that need to have their hand held through everything?

bdoughty
06-04-2013, 03:35 PM
When did gamers become a bunch of pussies that need to have their hand held through everything?

For me personally, it was about three hours into playing Dark Souls.

JBHuskers
06-04-2013, 04:27 PM
For me personally, it was about three hours into playing Dark Souls.

That's a whole different level of fucking hard.

I OU a Beatn
06-05-2013, 02:14 AM
IGN Gives it an 8.9 (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/state-of-decay-review)

State of Decay’s ambition reaches farther than most $60 titles, so its value is unquestionable as a $20 download – especially given how it manages to successfully meet so many of its lofty goals. I spent about 12 hours in this Zed-infested world, and while I saw most of what’s there, I could’ve spent a few more hours exploring. And since I focused on melee weapons the first time, I fully plan to start another game with a gun-centric character. Meanwhile, startup developer Undead Labs has already said that if State of Decay is successful, it hopes to follow it up with a massively multiplayer online sequel, codenamed “Class4.” But for now, Decay belongs in the pantheon of great modern zombie games alongside Valve’s Left 4 Dead series and Telltale’s Walking Dead episodes.

Wow! His only complaints were technical issues like occasional frame rate hiccups and texture pop in and the lack of a meaningful story.

JBHuskers
06-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Today is the day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bdoughty
06-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Wow! His only complaints were technical issues like occasional frame rate hiccups and texture pop in and the lack of a meaningful story.

I am an hour or so in and it does have plenty of graphical issues. The combat and control are so so but where the game is going to shine is the customization and utilizing the group you are with.

I OU a Beatn
06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
The graphics don't bother me at all. I'm having a blast with it so far.

JBHuskers
06-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Downloading now :up:

bdoughty
06-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Downloading now :up:

This ain't twitter. :P #postwhore

bdoughty
06-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Seems I am in the minority on this one. Not enjoying it at all. Too janky and that camera/control setup is horrible. The really needed settings for camera speed to speed up the look.

I OU a Beatn
06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
That's my only complaint about the game - the lack of sensitivity settings. I've pretty well gotten used to it by now, but it seems like such an obvious thing to include. Other than that, I love it. Easily the most enjoyable game I've played in recent memory.

baseballplyrmvp
06-07-2013, 11:34 PM
is there no save feature?

JBHuskers
06-08-2013, 12:27 AM
is there no save feature?

Checkpoint auto saves I believe.

JBHuskers
06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
250K sales in two days.

baseballplyrmvp
06-09-2013, 06:23 PM
how do you take down the big bastard zombies? running over them in a pickup truck doesnt even work.

bdoughty
06-09-2013, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDDG9eEZLAg

JBHuskers
06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
how do you take down the big bastard zombies? running over them in a pickup truck doesnt even work.

Definitely not a car :D

Really addicted to this game.

bdoughty
06-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Going to give it another try and see if it sticks. I hated Fallout 3 the first time I played it and I came around.

JBHuskers
06-10-2013, 12:15 AM
I hate it when I flip a perfectly good truck :fp:

baseballplyrmvp
06-10-2013, 12:44 AM
I hate it when I flip a perfectly good truck :fp:

lmao. yep. i got my main character killed because i flipped a rally hatchback right next to a zombie horde. restarted that game. lol

JBHuskers
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
I just hit something on the side of the road out in the country roads and flipped it :D I'm starting to run out of vehicles in the main city.

I OU a Beatn
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Finally finished up all the achievements. Had to replay half the game again because I screwed up the one. :D

Personally, it's right up there with Bioshock Infinite for Game of the Year for the games I've played so far. Just fantastic. If it had more polish, this thing would have gotten extremely high scores across the board.

I can't wait for the inevitable MMO.

JBHuskers
06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah I love it. I think I'm only at 135 :gs: at the moment.

I OU a Beatn
06-17-2013, 01:15 PM
If you didn’t already see the news out of Microsoft headquarters, we’re having an exciting day. (The banner might have given it away.) You can follow the link there for the official version, or you can hit the highlights right here:

- Yes, you guys took us over the half million mark. Actually, that milestone is SO last Friday, Jeff says. Now we’re over the 550,000 mark. We still don’t know what to say besides thank you for your encouragement and support. We didn’t know what to expect, so your continuing enthusiasm is humbling.

- Yes, it’s your feedback that helps us to determine the priorities in the Title Updates, and #2 is in the early phase of certification.

- Yes, when we release on PC, it will be via Steam. Date still TBD.

- And yes, Jeff DID just drop the sandbox mode bomb. We’re working on a pure sandbox mode for State of Decay, in large part because you asked for it. Again, the date is TBD, but we wanted you all to know it was coming.

Can’t stop us now! Thanks again for riding along with us.

Steam release confirmed is the big news here. I'll definitely be double dipping. Great game. Also, sounds like it wont be too long for the PC version.

We're currently working on a PC version for release on Steam. Fortunately it's been in development alongside the Xbox 360 version since Day 1, so we just need to integrate with the Steam platform and add native support for keyboard and mouse control. We'll also continue to issue Title Updates at a fast pace to refine game balance and fix bugs.

morsdraconis
06-17-2013, 01:41 PM
I will definitely be checking it out on Steam when it's released since it sounds like the only real issues with the game are frame rate issues because of shitty hardware being pushed beyond what it's capable of doing. Hopefully the PC release has those issues remedied.

JBHuskers
06-17-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll probably double dip too. Love this game, but haven't played since I got The Last Of Us. I'll get back to it soon enough.

baseballplyrmvp
06-18-2013, 12:36 AM
I will definitely be checking it out on Steam when it's released since it sounds like the only real issues with the game are frame rate issues because of shitty hardware being pushed beyond what it's capable of doing. Hopefully the PC release has those issues remedied.

its definitely worth it. my only complaint is that the new missions occur too quickly. you start one mission/random task, and you're hit with 2 or 3 more within 5 minutes.

JBHuskers
06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
its definitely worth it. my only complaint is that the new missions occur too quickly. you start one mission/random task, and you're hit with 2 or 3 more within 5 minutes.

I've missed some, but all it affects is the morale by a little bit.

baseballplyrmvp
06-21-2013, 11:16 PM
the truck i'm driving right has no tires. driving around on 4 bare rims. :D

JBHuskers
07-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Like my parking job? :D :D :D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/IMG_20130706_164410_263_zps374b1d14.jpg

JBHuskers
07-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Just finished the story. Still have 8 or so achievements to get 100%.

baseballplyrmvp
07-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Like my parking job? :D :D :D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/IMG_20130706_164410_263_zps374b1d14.jpg

how the hell did you manage that? :D

baseballplyrmvp
07-06-2013, 08:28 PM
also, where did you settle on your final home base?

JBHuskers
07-07-2013, 04:29 PM
how the hell did you manage that? :D

I have no idea. :D it just started going in the air and landed like that.

also, where did you settle on your final home base?

I moved from the church to a house that had a brick wall and fence if you take a left in Marshall and go down the street a couple blocks.

I OU a Beatn
07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Warehouse is the place to go. Closest to most of the missions later in the game and all kinds of room for upgrades.

JBHuskers
07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm going to play through it eventually to get 100%. I need to get 15 people in my camp, blow up zombies with a propane tank among a couple of other achievements.

baseballplyrmvp
07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Warehouse is the place to go. Closest to most of the missions later in the game and all kinds of room for upgrades.

ya, i chose the snyder trucking place

baseballplyrmvp
07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
found this map

http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/stateofdecay.gamepedia.com/7/79/Trumbull_valley.jpg

SmoothPancakes
07-15-2013, 11:33 PM
So I played the demo on Saturday morning. Well, 2 hour trial I guess, it wasn't a demo. But I enjoyed it. I kept getting interrupted so I only got to the church and then going to the cell tower to scout the town before my trial ran out, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Went ahead and bought it this morning after the paycheck hit the bank account. Unfortunately the bastards wouldn't let you save from the trial, so I had to do everything over. Only had time this morning to get all the campground stuff done, I'm back at the ranger station and ready to leave for town when I called it quits for the time being.

Definitely a fun game and a nice, distraction if you will, that I can pump a couple hours into here and there and gradually work my way through the game.

SmoothPancakes
07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Well fuck me sideways. :fp:

Spent most of the afternoon playing State of Decay. Had a bitching setup at the church, I had scouted out a good portion of that part of town, done quite a few missions, was up to 13 people residing at the church. Head out to do the mission of going and picking up Doc, playing as Marcus, by far my best guy in the group of people, had the best skills, etc. Managed to end up outside, going one on one with the giant fucker that shows up during the mission, who promptly picked me up and ripped me in half at the waist. In a one fell swoop, goodbye Marcus, my best character among my group at the church. :fp:

bdoughty
07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Well fuck me sideways. :fp:

Spent most of the afternoon playing State of Decay. Had a bitching setup at the church, I had scouted out a good portion of that part of town, done quite a few missions, was up to 13 people residing at the church. Head out to do the mission of going and picking up Doc, playing as Marcus, by far my best guy in the group of people, had the best skills, etc. Managed to end up outside, going one on one with the giant fucker that shows up during the mission, who promptly picked me up and ripped me in half at the waist. In a one fell swoop, goodbye Marcus, my best character among my group at the church. :fp:

Were you boarding up windows close to the main door? Yeah, that big dude just kept knocking me down, came close to getting knocked outside. I just kept boarding up the outside windows and killing anything that came in. When I was down to no health I ran up to the second floor and out on the roof and the mission just finished for me. I really wish I could get into this game but there was far too may issues for my taste. Kind of wish it offered a FPS perspective to minimize some of that jankiness.

PC news - out by the end of 2013

http://stickskills.com/2013/07/16/state-of-decay-pc-out-before-the-end-of-2013/

Enhancements

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/16/4529326/state-of-decay-pc-version-enhancements

I OU a Beatn
07-16-2013, 06:11 PM
:D

When I saw those fat ass zombies, I would be in a dead sprint for a car to drive away. If you take a vehicle with full health against one of those things with full health, the truck will blow up before the fat zombie dies. :D

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 01:00 AM
I lost Marcus too. Was thinking I'd get a 2nd wind, but was tore in two instead. At least it's an achievement. Think I'm going to start my 2nd playthrough soon.

SmoothPancakes
07-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Well, at least I'm not in alone in getting my best character decapitated by a fat, overgrown country zombie, makes me feel better. :D

I didn't even realize there was an achievement there until I died and it popped up. I was pissed at the time though, since Marcus was far and away the best one in the group, had by far the best stats all-around. Was good shooting, he was damn good in melee because I had been going on hackfests with hatchets, lead pipes, a whole slew of stuff. Probably 75% of the game I had spent playing as Marcus, only switching off to one of the neighbors we got to come join us from a nearby enclave when Marcus was running low on stamina.

I actually might restart the game, after doing some reading for the past hour or two on various aspects of the game, while I had the church set up nicely, I definitely fucked up in a couple areas during my advancement of the game, so I may start over and, with better knowledge of the game, see if I can do much better with a different strategy.

I also might not do so much in regards to building up the church, but might make an early move the Kirkman Residence. More facility and outpost slots, plus it starts with a workshop. So instead of spending a whole bunch of resources building and upgrading stuff at the church, I might try to make the move early on. One thing I liked about the church though was that it was sort of off the beaten path, well away from the main roads and with a couple outposts, herds never had a chance in hell of getting even remotely close. But with 6 outposts at the Kirkman Residence instead of 4 at the chuch, I could still pretty much completely lock down the middle of town pretty damn well with some well placed outposts.

I OU a Beatn
07-17-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm glad my Marcus never died, because he was literally the only person I ever upgraded. I had him completely maxed out and I had no upgrades whatsoever for anyone else. If he would've died, I would have been royally screwed. In hindsight, I probably should have used more characters, but as I started to max him out, it became hard to use anyone else because they sucked so much.

oweb26
07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I am still at the beginning on this game also...sooo many games, soo little time!!!

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm glad my Marcus never died, because he was literally the only person I ever upgraded. I had him completely maxed out and I had no upgrades whatsoever for anyone else. If he would've died, I would have been royally screwed. In hindsight, I probably should have used more characters, but as I started to max him out, it became hard to use anyone else because they sucked so much.

Yeah I had to build up a couple of characters after that who had shitty stamina so I was going back and forth with two characters after that.

My Marcus wasn't killed by the fat ass, but by the feral one.

SmoothPancakes
07-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Damn, finally I can pick a new home base. I had been driving all over to hell and back doing various side missions, but finally after I get done at the Wilkersons and get Doc to the church, now I can move.

I originally wanted to move to the Kirkman Residence, because I thought you could move your home base much earlier in the game, but at this point, with all of the houses searched and resources already collected in Spencer's Mill, I need to get just plain completely out of Spencer's Mill. I'm not gonna spend hours driving back and forth to each extreme corner of the map just to collect some resources and take them back. So while Spencer's Mill is a nice little place, very easily defendable with the right outpost setup, it's time to move to Marshall City.

Plus, with a lot more missions, seemingly, taking place down in Marshall City and Fairfield, I think I'm just gonna jump straight to the Snyder Trucking warehouse since I've already got a population of 17. Get things set up, finally be able to get my cars fixed up, clean out some nearby houses to set up outposts, and have a virtually impenetrable fortress with the outposts and traps set up to kill off any nearby hordes, along with an entirely new and untouched supply of resources.

JBHuskers
07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah my 2nd playthrough I'll use the warehouse.

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Now that I've actually bought and been playing the game since Monday, going back through a thread I had largely ignored.

First Review.

http://www.oxmonline.com/state-decay-review?page=0,0

+ Open world full of enticing structures and hidden loot; noise management adds lots of tension.

+ Appealing mix of stealth, melee, and ranged combat; weapons galore; base/character upgrades.

– Mediocre graphics; minimal story; permanence of death may bug some players.

? How come zombies can climb fences but not ladders?

8.0/10

They took off points for mediocre graphics? In a game like this, who cares? I REALLY don't understand taking off points for permanent death. I mean, I think that's the whole selling point of the game and makes for a much more intense experience. When did gamers become a bunch of pussies that need to have their hand held through everything?

Yeah, the mediocre graphics, oh well. It's a $20 XBox Live Arcade game, not a full $60 major release. Besides, for this kind of game, the "lesser" graphics actually works in my opinion. Sets the mood better for a zombie-infested world. It can get a little headache inducing with the frame rates at times, but overall the graphics are fine with me.

As for minimal story, meh, oh well. I don't need a massive, complex story throughout the entire game. I'm treating this first and foremost as a sandbox zombie survival game. I've been told dozens of times by Lily to head out to the Wilkersons for the next mission in the game, but since I moved to Snyder Trucking over in Marshall city, I've been busy nonstop with searching houses, taking out infestations, getting my outposts up, hunting various zombies with the couple of survivor groups that are still going it on their own and haven't joined my group yet and searching and rescuing members of the group who have gotten trapped or gone missing. It keeps me going all over the place constantly.

Hell, for Marshall City, I've only explored the buildings around Snyder Trucking. The little dead end subsection down the road from Snyder Trucking, and pretty much all of Marshall City proper, from the courthouse on easy, I've barely even touched at all. Just my area alone around Snyder Trucking has kept me running around night and day working on side stuff.

And as for the permanent death of characters, I actually didn't know that going in, until Marcus got ripped in half by a Big Bastard my first time playing. While Marcus is still alive after I restarted after having gotten a better grasp on the mechanics of the game, I have had one or two die off, but I'm also paranoid now about taking Marcus or Maya (my top two people skill-wise) into unknown areas, at least not very much stocked up on medicine and snacks to keep me alive and moving, because I don't want them to get killed.

The fact that characters are able to be permanently killed (now that I know), has completely changed the way I play the game, but I also love it. Most games, I go rushing through like a bull, not caring if I die because I'll just respawn or load up back at a checkpoint with minor loss (maybe some items). But this game, knowing my character could be permanently killed and eliminated from the game, keeps me on my toes and keeps me much more careful when exploring.

I am an hour or so in and it does have plenty of graphical issues. The combat and control are so so but where the game is going to shine is the customization and utilizing the group you are with.

That's my only complaint about the game - the lack of sensitivity settings. I've pretty well gotten used to it by now, but it seems like such an obvious thing to include. Other than that, I love it. Easily the most enjoyable game I've played in recent memory.

Yeah, sensitivity settings would be nice. Only graphical issues, would be frame rate drops and occasional lag in loading, but otherwise, I'm really enjoying this game. I can't help but wonder just how much greater this game would be if it had been a full release (with whatever size they wanted), instead of an Arcade title limited to only 2 GBs in size. If we could have had more than the 2 GBs, just how much more could have been included, oh what a dream.

I found that out the hard way. :fp: Nearly killed myself trying to mow down that fat sumbitch with a truck. Had to bail out and make a run for it through a cornfield to stay alive.

Yep, that's been my problem. Just last night, while playing, I had side missions for hunting down a feral zombie, a rotten zombie and a Big Bastard, all while Ray wanting me to meet him, the last lone group of survivors in Spencer Mills under siege, multiple hordes keeping my outpost traps constantly active, and a negative impact at home due to multiple infestations. It was running around in circles trying to complete it all. Help the survivors stay alive, wiped out the infestations, took care of some hoards and hunted down a feral zombie. The rest all ended up expiring.

Absolutely. Other than one last lone group of survivors still left in Spencer's Mill that I still need to get just a hair higher in trust to get them to join me, every single thing that has been happening since my move to Snyder Trucking has all taken place in Marshall City and the surrounding area. In fact, other than going back to help out what had originally been two groups of survivors left in Spencer Mills at the time I left, I haven't been back there for anything. 99% of my time is spent in Marshall City.

I'm going to play through it eventually to get 100%. I need to get 15 people in my camp, blow up zombies with a propane tank among a couple of other achievements.

Camp numbers has been one thing I haven't had a problem with. Due to a bunch of nearby enclaves, plus the two involved in the army subplot, I had 16 people in my camp before even leaving the church. Gained 6 more since moving to Marshall City. I'm sitting at 20 people in my camp right now due to the whole pastor/Alan stuff that takes place. And still have three survivors holding tight in Spencer Mills, two or three (can't remember exact number) holed up in a farmhouse north of Marshall City, and then the gang in The Grange. So camp numbers are one thing I'm never going to have to worry about. :D My big issue is getting enough bed space without cutting off a leg in another area (since I have medical, kitchen, library, and two bed areas using up my spare space).

Were you boarding up windows close to the main door? Yeah, that big dude just kept knocking me down, came close to getting knocked outside. I just kept boarding up the outside windows and killing anything that came in. When I was down to no health I ran up to the second floor and out on the roof and the mission just finished for me. I really wish I could get into this game but there was far too may issues for my taste. Kind of wish it offered a FPS perspective to minimize some of that jankiness.

Yeah, I was nearby. He seemingly had gone off to a different part of the yard, so I stepped out the door real quick to kill the last normal zombie outside, only to find him standing there off to the side. He charged, I tried to get in the door, couldn't make it as he picked me up, and goodbye Marcus. :D

Yeah. the frame rate drops have been a bit annoying, and the camera can be an issue at times, but I'm enjoying it. With me playing it as a predominately sandbox (only advancing the story from time to time), I've been having plenty of fun, between clearing and searching houses and businesses, helping fellow survivors, and trying to avoid gruesome deaths, I'm personally finding this a damn good and damn fun game. I'm sort of interested in seeing what they do with the MMO direction.

I sort of shy away from MMOs, especially if there is player killing, because there will always be griefing jackasses in every MMO game. But a co-op, that could be fun. Have a two or four person co-op, or at least the ability to jump into friends games (in the future full-fledged sandbox mode) and you and your friend(s) can go around doing various stuff throughout the map. Maybe add some new zombies to make it more challenging for two or four actual human players in the game at the same time, etc. If done right, it would have the potential to be a really fun and interesting option, and let you still play with other humans. If it had co-op, I know for a fact I'd be able to convince my best friend from college to buy it, but being single-player only, I doubt he'd be willing to just because he's not much for single-player games.

Yeah, I've tried to give myself backup after restarting, though I'm still limited. Marcus is easily my best character, completely maxed out in every skill except for Cardio, which he's only level 2, But everything else, Wits, Fighting, Shooting, Powerhouse and Leadership, he is completely maxed out level 7 in all of those skills, a complete tank. Maya is getting up there, level 5 or 6 in Shooting, maxed out in Fighting and maxed out in Wits, with level 1 cardio. Everyone else in the group, I haven't touched any of them at all, so they all completely suck.

Yeah my 2nd playthrough I'll use the warehouse.

Yeah, warehouse is definitely the best. I have that entire part of town under complete and total lockdown. Using all 8 of my outposts throughout that part of town (gas station and warehouse all right across the street from the base, then mixed in at various houses and the gun store, pretty much the entire section there is covered, from both bridges by the courthouse, to the bridge heading toward The Grange, the entire length of the road near the river, and the entire length of that bottom road up against the edge of the dead end street subdivision. A hoard will never get within miles of my base.

And other than the wilderness and the warehouse behind Snyder Trucking, there is no place in that entire area other than the subdivision, the wilderness near The Grange and the rest of town around the courthouse for zombies to spawn in that area. So I'm set up in an impenetrable fortress there. :)

baseballplyrmvp
07-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm laughing all the way through this thread because my name is actually marcus. lol

SmoothPancakes
07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm laughing all the way through this thread because my name is actually marcus. lol

:D You died honorably, albeit painfully (and in two pieces), during my first time playing the game.

baseballplyrmvp
07-21-2013, 02:23 PM
:D i'm not black though.

SmoothPancakes
07-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Finished the game, and in the process, got my last two achievements, so completely done with the game. Definitely a fun game. I sort of fucked up at the end. With the opening of Fairfield, with all the army missions going on back in that area, I decided to move my base to the fairgrounds. I had already completely cleaned house in Marshall City, there was not a single building untouched with any food, medicine, ammo, building materials or gas left to be had.

So between sucking Marshall City dry and the army missions all being in Fairfield, I moved my home base. What a mistake. :fp:

You can set up some decent protection at the fairgrounds with your outposts, so that wasn't too bad. But the parking area is a constant clusterfuck. If you don't have any sniping going on in your watchtower, the entire parking area is completely unprotected (as well as a corner of the damn fairgrounds). Even with sniping, only half of the parking area is protected, so every time you go outside to grab a car parked out there, there's always at least a half dozen zombies (usually with some armored ones thrown in) that are spawning on the other side of the fence and immediately climbing over and into the parking lot.

Then the buildings inside, you have a cooking area and dining area forced upon you. Doesn't really help. At Snyder, I had a good set up with the already present machine shop, bed area and storage. At the fairgrounds, having to deal with an automatic cooking and dining area left me short at least one space to build the "must have" stuff. After building up a sleeping area, a workshop and a medical area, I just said screw it and stopped. Went out, sucked Fairfield dry of all resources and items, did a couple army missions along the way, then moved back to Snyder Trucking. It meant making the haul back and forth between the two cities to finish out the last three missions, but oh well.

Unfortunately, I never recovered. Morale was rock bottom, I was only able to get three outposts set back up, didn't have enough materials to rebuild everything, so I just said screw it. Finished out the last missions and completed the game. Went back into Continue Game after the credits and fucked around for a few minutes setting mines and traps, chucking grenades, thermite and other goodies. When I finally ran out of grenades, box mines, regular mines, thermite and whatnot, I just quit the game and exited back to dashboard. No point in trying to recover Snyder Trucking and the nearby neighborhood with the game completed.

So, I'm gonna go ahead and shelve the game for a couple weeks, since I've played it damn near nonstop since buying it last week, and sometime in maybe late August or early September, I'll go back and start up a new game again, this time taking everything FURTHER that I've learned hands-on about the game, and try and use that to make my next play-through even better and even more efficient. And next time, once I am able to move to Snyder Trucking, I will NEVER leave it again. :fp: