PDA

View Full Version : EA SPORTS: NCAA Football 14 - First Look at the New Gameplay Engine

JBHuskers
04-03-2013, 11:07 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8615567285_7221d693ae.jpg

First Look at the New Gameplay Engine in NCAA Football 14 which unlocks the unpredictability and innovation of college football, bringing multiple college play-styles to life.

Featuring real-time physics and enhanced running game that allows users to feel the big plays on offense and defense, with big hits, stiff-arms, include realistic hard cuts when a runner is changing direction, improved run blocking and a new acceleration burst that lets you get around the corner or through the hole and into the open field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_9dBuPp04&feature=em-uploademail

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?671-NCAA-Football-14-First-Look

SmoothPancakes
04-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Looks to me like running around like a chicken with its head cut off, stopping on a dime and changing directions with ease is still in the game.

Edit - And my fears of an unstoppable run game may be true. Just in that video alone, defenders are getting pushed, shoved and thrown around like rag dolls. :smh:

OSUCowboyofMD
04-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Ehhhh okay to say the least. I noticed Navy still had it's old jerseys and what's good with these like 3 year old cleats?! I barely see anyone wear them anymore!

GatorfanStovy
04-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Yea the running game is gonna a bigger pain to stop it this year ugh. I have a hard enough time this year. Let's hope defense tackling will be improve as well .

Also the graphics do look much better and clear but the uniforms still just meh .

CLW
04-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Looks to me like running around like a chicken with its head cut off, stopping on a dime and changing directions with ease is still in the game.

Edit - And my fears of an unstoppable run game may be true. Just in that video alone, defenders are getting pushed, shoved and thrown around like rag dolls. :smh:

Yep. I also don't get how "cuts" are different from the old "jukes" or how "acceleration burst" is different from "turbo" (other than the meter that apparently evaporates).

Going to be wide open gameplay again this year with the hit stick Clowney tackles being your only weapon on D.

AustinWolv
04-03-2013, 11:48 AM
a new acceleration burst
User-controlled or CPU-controlled based where you are on the field?

Physics
Nevermind, just saw the IGN interview.

SmoothPancakes
04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Yep. I also don't get how "cuts" are different from the old "jukes" or how "acceleration burst" is different from "turbo" (other than the meter that apparently evaporates).

Going to be wide open gameplay again this year with the hit stick Clowney tackles being your only weapon on D.

Yeah... I'll get NCAA '14, but depending on the demo and the couple days with Season Ticket, I may just keep my coaching career dynasty on NCAA '13 and continue on there, instead of "upgrading" it to NCAA '14. While '13 has its own issues, I've been managing just fine with my dynasty in '13 and could go another year on it without a problem.

TheShockDoctor
04-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I understand the criticisms that it seems that running game may be overpowered and it honestly might be, but I feel like they are just showing off the way stiff arms are handled this year and how running backs can run over smaller defenders.

I'm much more of wait and see kind of guy because this might be on an easy difficulty setting. I'm not as optimistic about this as much as I thought I would be though.

JBHuskers
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I always thought all media is on Varsity, unless they note otherwise.

souljahbill
04-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not going to overreact and say every RB is Jim Brown. If they're talking about how RBs will be better, I'd be silly to show RBs getting tackled easily. You have to show I over and over to get the point across. What I didn't like though is the way people looked when getting trucked. They all feel back like they just died or something.

JBHuskers
04-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I'm not going to overreact and say every RB is Jim Brown. If they're talking about how RBs will be better, I'd be silly to show RBs getting tackled easily. You have to show I over and over to get the point across. What I didn't like though is the way people looked when getting trucked. They all feel back like they just died or something.

My guess. For a hype video like this, they're showing the extremes, it's not indicative of happening every single time.

coogrfan
04-03-2013, 01:10 PM
As always, I view these first glimpse videos with only one question in mind: does this make me want to play the game? My answer would be an emphatic "yes". :nod:

souljahbill
04-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Sometimes I really hate posting via phone. The amount of typos in my last post is staggering.

GatorfanStovy
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Sometimes I really hate posting via phone. The amount of typos in my last post is staggering.

Then don't type from your phone kidding lol.

Yea I'm sure the game play will be just fine once the game actually hits mid summer. Sadly I won't be around to enjoy it until Nov at the earliest poo :(

Rudy
04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
I love the fact stiff arm and trucking are back! This first blog and info set sounds good to me with the option stuff but I need to see the cpu do it right to believe it. I hope the foot planting and momentum stuff turns out good. I've been wanting that for awhile. I was excited reading the first set of news and watching that video.

WolverineJay
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
I love the fact stiff arm and trucking are back! This first blog and info set sounds good to me with the option stuff but I need to see the cpu do it right to believe it. I hope the foot planting and momentum stuff turns out good.

Agreed. I might finally be able to truck that little cb who is dumb enough to try and tackle me high or barrel forward for a key first down. The run game improvements sound nice on paper.

Daywalker86
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I like the thought of waiting, finding your lane and bursting through it. I've always thought that was missing. You never really HIT the hole. Either it was big enough to skate through, or a guy slid off a block and tackles you in it.

If this is done right it will be a welcome addition. However, I want LB's to be able to HIT the hole too.

ram29jackson
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
will it even be necasary ? just like years past i may well bypass the juke stick. Its more beneficial to just move the left stick in the direction you want to go and get yards. no dancing around wasting time with animations.

now, this may do what happens in madden where defenders always come near you but never finish because the game logic dictates a big play needs to happen and that effect happens thats like when you push the negative side of 2 magnets together and they push away instead of sticking.

They are trying to make it possible to run like a Barry Sanders...the negative effect will be the guys online who run backwards back and forth across the field proving they can do it till a hole swings open because defenders still follow the runner instead of actually persuing to tackle.

I so want to be wrong

ryby6969
04-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Will linemen have this Force Impact thing also? I would like to see pulling linemen do that to a DB coming around a corner.

xMrHitStickx904
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I can't really overrate RB's on NCAA 14 during this video, they always market the extremes because the more jukes, hit sticks, & long runs they show, the more excited people get about making those big plays on their own.

Jayrah
04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
All the talk about RB's need to be improved and cuts aren't real enough and there's no momentum and all that last year. All of that looks like it's at least been addressed in some fashion in the very first news of the year and some people are saying omg just more overpowered offense. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Classic. :deadhorse:

Far as I'm concerned, this is a MAJOR addition or revision to the game. The line play will need to have been improved to make this work correctly, but for just this aspect of the game forgetting about the defense, this is MUCH needed. It finally looks like weight/balance make a difference when cutting back, the RB or runner must plant and slow down slightly before accelerating instead of zig zagging wherever without penalty.

Defense will get it's updates too, let's wait till the info on that comes out before crucifying the EA team for doing something really well on offense.

souljahbill
04-03-2013, 04:53 PM
So did anyone else have a problem with the second scene in the video? :10 in where the RB plants, spins, gets hit, and the defender just melts off the RB's back before moving on. I'm don't usually critique but that didn't look good to me.

steelerfan
04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
All the talk about RB's need to be improved and cuts aren't real enough and there's no momentum and all that last year. All of that looks like it's at least been addressed in some fashion in the very first news of the year and some people are saying omg just more overpowered offense. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Classic. :deadhorse:

Far as I'm concerned, this is a MAJOR addition or revision to the game. The line play will need to have been improved to make this work correctly, but for just this aspect of the game forgetting about the defense, this is MUCH needed. It finally looks like weight/balance make a difference when cutting back, the RB or runner must plant and slow down slightly before accelerating instead of zig zagging wherever without penalty.

Defense will get it's updates too, let's wait till the info on that comes out before crucifying the EA team for doing something really well on offense.

Agreed.

Some people are chronic complainers.

Enviado de meu SAMSUNG SGH I997 usando o Tapatalk 2

Jayrah
04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm hoping that PWR and AGI ratings actually play into this A LOT. Actually I hope they mean EVERYTHING to the new engine. A purely ratings based gameplay with this engine where those ratings and/or ovr rating determine what moves you can/can't make as a ball carrier would change the game.

Deuce
04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
http://kotaku.com/ncaa-football-14-promises-it-wont-give-you-the-same-ol-468398387

I tried to create a new topic but it kept crashing on me.

OL got some love. :)

xMrHitStickx904
04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm hoping that PWR and AGI ratings actually play into this A LOT. Actually I hope they mean EVERYTHING to the new engine. A purely ratings based gameplay with this engine where those ratings and/or ovr rating determine what moves you can/can't make as a ball carrier would change the game.

If this is the case, then OVR ratings will truly no longer matter to me. They haven't for a long time; I normally put high SPD, AGILITY, CTH rated players on the field to begin with.

JBHuskers
04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Agreed.

Some people are chronic complainers.

Enviado de meu SAMSUNG SGH I997 usando o Tapatalk 2

Seen a lot of that this week.

Jayrah
04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
If this is the case, then OVR ratings will truly no longer matter to me. They haven't for a long time; I normally put high SPD, AGILITY, CTH rated players on the field to begin with.
If you put them on the field to begin with, how will that make ratings not matter to you?

Rudy
04-05-2013, 04:59 AM
I do hope EA has made the cpu QB smarter on all levels below the last one (Heisman, All-Madden). The cpu QBs have been nearly brain dead this generation on the lower levels and it's ridiculous. Way too many bad reads and INTs on AA/All-Pro. I'd love it if they added a cpu QB awareness slider but I doubt they will.

xMrHitStickx904
04-05-2013, 10:01 AM
If you put them on the field to begin with, how will that make ratings not matter to you?

I think I worded my response wrong, my bad. What I meant is that if the attribute ratings of the players are benefited more in the physics engine rather than the overall rating is, then I can continue to ignore the OVR of players, and just put speed, acceleration, and hit power on the field.

dhook27
04-05-2013, 11:46 PM
GUYS U are taking too much into this video the reason the running backs are doin that is mainly because of advertising...... once the demo comes out or they realese real gameplay then critique but for right now just dont troll and critzize EA just because its EA.

Rudy
04-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Hey, I love the new stiff arm actually meaning something. Denard Robinson commented on that and the improved option in the ESPN article. Those are great things to me. But can the cpu do it? I need to see it myself.

TIMB0B
04-06-2013, 02:44 PM
GUYS U are taking too much into this video the reason the running backs are doin that is mainly because of advertising...... once the demo comes out or they realese real gameplay then critique but for right now just dont troll and critzize EA just because its EA.

I'm hoping this is correct because I worry about the new engine having everything exaggerated where nearly every tackle/broken tackle is a de-cleater.

Big Blue
04-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Everyone is being so negative! I am very optimistic, this is what I have been asking for for years!

Deuce
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm actually pretty optimistic. 13 is tied with 04 as my favorite NCAA game. As long as nothing is really broken and they fix a few of the coverage issues and better CPU AI ill be really happy.

jaymo76
04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Everyone is being so negative! I am very optimistic, this is what I have been asking for for years!

I think it is more so a concern that if OL/DL line interaction has not been overhauled then any changes to the run game will be a mute point.

CLW
04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
I think it is more so a concern that if OL/DL line interaction has not been overhauled then any changes to the run game will be a mute point.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "mute point". I think that if they improved the run blocking but didn't do anything for defense then the game goes even further out of balance in favor of the offense. I don't think many (if any) here would argue that defenses are "too powerful" right now. Many/most would argue that the passing game is just too easy (broken coverages, no pass rush, qbs are too accurate, etc...). Now if they make the run game as "easy" as the passing game it will be a HD version of Tecmo Bowl.

souljahbill
04-07-2013, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say "mute point". I think that if they improved the run blocking but didn't do anything for defense then the game goes even further out of balance in favor of the offense. I don't think many (if any) here would argue that defenses are "too powerful" right now. Many/most would argue that the passing game is just too easy (broken coverages, no pass rush, qbs are too accurate, etc...). Now if they make the run game as "easy" as the passing game it will be a HD version of Tecmo Bowl.

Too easy for everyone but me. I can't pass for crap.

Deuce
04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Too easy for everyone but me. I can't pass for crap.

:+1: ...I stink as well.

Jayrah
04-08-2013, 12:05 AM
I think I worded my response wrong, my bad. What I meant is that if the attribute ratings of the players are benefited more in the physics engine rather than the overall rating is, then I can continue to ignore the OVR of players, and just put speed, acceleration, and hit power on the field.
Oh I gotcha. Yeah I suppose that's a good point. But if EVERY attribute plays in more then it would be a different story.

cdj
04-14-2013, 06:17 PM
We have added a poll for users to vote on their top two most anticipated gameplay features (of those discussed most) so far.

Please vote and let us know your thoughts.

bdoughty
04-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Option game and revamped blocking.

dhook27
04-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Option Game because i hate seeing Qb pitch the ball when they have wide open space to keep it and run.

Rudy
04-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Option game and running game improvements - specifically the more realistic cutting and foot planting. That's huge for me. The option vote is also based on CPU being much better at it. I think IE2 and new stiff arm will be huge for NCAA as well. That's right up there IMO.

CLW
04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Honestly I am quite underwhelmed with the improvements to gameplay this year since apparently Defense was by and large untouched other than alleged improvements to obvious bugs/glitches. IF I had to vote for anything the only thing that really intrigues me is the fatigue bar/system. I fully expect it to not really be all that impactful though b/c the casuals are going to get PISSED if/when they can't run their 99 SPD 99 ACC WR on streak routes every play of the game.

dhook27
04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Honestly I am quite underwhelmed with the improvements to gameplay this year since apparently Defense was by and large untouched other than alleged improvements to obvious bugs/glitches. IF I had to vote for anything the only thing that really intrigues me is the fatigue bar/system. I fully expect it to not really be all that impactful though b/c the casuals are going to get PISSED if/when they can't run their 99 SPD 99 ACC WR on streak routes every play of the game.

dont u mean cheesers?

Jayrah
04-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Infinity and Blocking. All of the other improvements are useless without those.

AustinWolv
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Agree with CLW

Jayrah
04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Honestly I am quite underwhelmed with the improvements to gameplay this year since apparently Defense was by and large untouched other than alleged improvements to obvious bugs/glitches. IF I had to vote for anything the only thing that really intrigues me is the fatigue bar/system. I fully expect it to not really be all that impactful though b/c the casuals are going to get PISSED if/when they can't run their 99 SPD 99 ACC WR on streak routes every play of the game.As mentioned in the podcast, this could still change. It's still early enough they can work considerably on defense and other gameplay tweaks. This is normally why they don't lead with gameplay