PDA

View Full Version : Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

JBHuskers
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ljB8Rh7IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone played this yet? I just started. The first 30 mins is just story, but it's a great story. Excited to get into the actual combat and etc. The meta is a 94, so this seems to be a must own if you're into JRPG's.

JeffHCross
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Saw that Tim of CtrlAltDel is playing it. All I know about it.

JBHuskers
02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Man the battles in this game are fun.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I've been close to buying it numerous times but haven't been able to convince myself to get it. Is it kind of like Pokemon or am I thinking of the wrong genre?

JBHuskers
02-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I've never played Pokemon, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. It's more of a mix of the old Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior with the new Final Fantasy for combat. It's really old school with choosing attacks and etc. but you can move around also.

JBHuskers
02-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Here's a great short example without spoiling any story really (obviously my version is English :D):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJax_eAeD0

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah, sounds like Pokemon to me. Might have to give it a try if I can get it cheap.

morsdraconis
02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
It's a JRPG, and not Pokemon. Anyone that says it's like Pokemon hasn't played a real JRPG. Yes, the combat system revolves around using familiars and yes they evolve and things like that, but it's FAR FAR FAR deeper than Pokemon's shit. Really, the only issues with the game that I have are:

It appears that there's no way to have the original voice acting (Japanese with English subtitles ftw)

The Welsh accent for Drippy (fairy dude) is ANNOYING (in the Japanese version, it's a thick Japanese dialect that I can't remember off the top of my head but, from what I understand, it's not nearly as annoying as the Welsh accent that they gave him in the English dubbing).

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
I definitely fall into that category. I don't play JRPGs and I haven't played Pokemon since the old handhelds. Still, this definitely reminds of Pokemon, which combined with the high reviews, has me intrigued.

It is in English, right?

morsdraconis
02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
I definitely fall into that category. I don't play JRPGs and I haven't played Pokemon since the old handhelds. Still, this definitely reminds of Pokemon, which combined with the high reviews, has me intrigued.

It is in English, right?

Yes, it is, unfortunately.

JBHuskers
02-03-2013, 05:15 PM
It appears that there's no way to have the original voice acting (Japanese with English subtitles ftw)

What do you mean? I have English speaking with English subtitles.

morsdraconis
02-03-2013, 05:28 PM
What do you mean? I have English speaking with English subtitles.

They don't have the original Japanese voices available.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Is the English voice acting really that bad?

morsdraconis
02-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Nah. The voice acting is actually not bad, but I just prefer the original.

JBHuskers
02-03-2013, 06:09 PM

No, it's really good actually.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Freakin' JB posting that video made me want to watch more and now my interest is way past the point of waiting. Considering I have some GS credit, might pick it up when I go to get Sly on Tuesday. The only problem is I imagine that it's going to be a major time investment, something that usually isn't my strong suit with video games.

JBHuskers
02-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Freakin' JB posting that video made me want to watch more and now my interest is way past the point of waiting. Considering I have some GS credit, might pick it up when I go to get Sly on Tuesday. The only problem is I imagine that it's going to be a major time investment, something that usually isn't my strong suit with video games.

I spent 2 and a half hours on my first time playing :D

Story heavy the first 30 mins, but then it picks up.

I OU a Beatn
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Picked this up today when I picked up Sly. Hopefully I have time to try it out tonight.