PDA

View Full Version : Independents vs 6-team conferences

JeffHCross
01-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Alright guys, it's pretty clear that 6-team conferences and going Independent were the two winners of the last poll. But there's a problem. Independents stand a decent chance of qualifying for a bowl, yet not getting an invite.

I've found two reasons for this:
* If we completely screw the CPU conferences (like leaving the WAC at 6, and the SEC and Big XII at 4) then they won't have enough bowl eligible teams to fill their slots. This is because they don't have many teams to begin with AND only one FCS victory counts towards bowl eligibility. Which means that the 4-7 team conference scheduling using FCS teams to supplement their conference schedule, well, that screws those conferences. But we'd all, most likely, get bowl invites.
* If we don't screw the CPU conferences, and set everyone to 8+ teams, then one or two of us a year will, most likely, not be invited to a bowl game, even with a 6-6 or 7-5 record. I've done two simulations with 8+ team conferences, and both times at least two teams has missed a bowl.

So, two six-team conferences (which give us 5 conference games and 7 OOC games that we can edit to our hearts content) gives us flexibility while not screwing us out of a bowl game that we rightly qualified for.

What say you?

If you don't like either of these options, please pick "Other" and respond to the thread with your choice.

Oneback
01-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I say we go independent, if we're able to setup our own schedules, etc I'm not sure the 6-6 or 7-5 user team would really want to play in a Bowl game. It also gives more incentive to keep your team/game strong.

Papa LoneStar
01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Other: 12 user team conference in the B1G....east (SEC) and west (Big XII)....8 conference/user games....ball out *my dream*

JeffHCross
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Actually, it would be 9 conference/user games. But y'know.

12 schools – 8 conference games when using protected rivals. 9 conference games when not using protected rivals. (Note: C-USA will use their 8 conference game, no protected rival format by default)

JeffHCross
01-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Bump.

HairyDawg
01-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Other - 12 teams in (1) conference

texacotea
01-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Still need 4 people to vote.

JeffHCross
01-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Eric and KIA are the tie-breakers.

Odds they both vote for OTHER: Very High. :D

texacotea
01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Well have we come to. Decision? Some may know the new season is around the corner

nykia31
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Other: 12 user team conference in the B1G....east (SEC) and west (Big XII)....8 conference/user games....ball out *my dream*

Me like this.