PDA

View Full Version : MLB 13: The Show (PS3, Vita)

cdj
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Which baseball superstar will be on the cover of MLB 13 The Show? For the first time ever, fans will select the cover athlete for this year’s title via a Cover Campaign in early January. Stay tuned — some of the top names in the sport will be announcing their candidacy in the upcoming weeks.

Nothing compares to Postseason baseball. That’s why The Show offers an All-New Playoff Mode, which includes an in-stadium atmosphere that replicates the excitement and tension of October baseball. The experience is unrivalled by anything The Show has ever exhibited.

Other new features include a completely new beginner mode and instructional enhancements that make The Show the best pick-up and play baseball experience available. In addition, the improved Play Now mode streamlines gameplay, for faster and simpler games. San Diego Studios has also revamped The Show’s Franchise and Road To The Show modes with expanded options and new gameplay experiences.

Taking The Show on the road? The PS Vita version of The Show features the same list of upgrades and new features as the PS3 version. As with last year, you can sync your Season, Franchise and Road to the Show saves between platforms to continue the action anywhere. MLB The Show also offers the opportunity to play with friends around the world at no extra cost on PlayStation Network.

These are just a few of the enhancements San Diego Studios have made to the 2013 version of The Show. All new features and game modes will be unveiled and detailed throughout the coming months.

For more information about the MLB 13 The Show, visit www.theshownation.com and www.facebook.com/mlbtheshow.

Link and screenshots available here (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/26/fans-will-decide-the-cover-of-mlb-13-the-show/)

SmoothPancakes
11-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Other new features include a completely new beginner mode and instructional enhancements that make The Show the best pick-up and play baseball experience available.

Unless you want to play old MLB 2K games with outdated rosters (unless you'll still be able to update them through whatever methods), MLB: The Show is the only pick-up and play baseball experience available. ;)

JBHuskers
11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd say either Mike Trout or Miggy Cabrera for the cover.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CLW
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
If the triple crown winner doesn't make the cover I'd be stunned.

Papa LoneStar
11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I played 12 a lot....really enjoyed the Road to the Show mode.

steelerfan
11-26-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure if it's The Show, or FIFA at #1, but they are clearly ahead of all of the other sports franchises.

Great game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

cdj
12-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Bryce Harper & CC Sebathia (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444653-cc-sabathia-is-second-candidate-for-mlb-13-the-show-cover-vote?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) are the first announced cover candidates.

This Kotaku article goes into further detail on the new "Beginner Mode" and some Franchise Mode improvements coming to MLB 13 (http://kotaku.com/5967696/no-longer-a-rookie-bryce-harper-wants-to-welcome-you-to-the-show).

Rudy
12-14-2012, 03:29 AM
I played the Show 12 a lot. Almost completed my first full 162 game season (made it 140 games and then switched to football).

The sliders are a bit frustrating in the Show. They only use a 10 point system and so there isn't enough room to move in some areas. I'd like to see all sliders split between user and cpu as well as a cpu plate discipline slider. I think the user has too much patience on the higher difficulty levels and lay off breaking stuff too much. I think overall the breaking pitches in the game need to be less hittable unless right down the heart of the plate and elicit more swings at stuff out of the zone. At the same time I'd like to see less control over them as well.

My number one wish would be to have a hitter's eye mechanic like 2K does or something like MVP had back in the day. That's the one feature this game needs as I hate Guess Pitch. I never use it because I think it's a complete gimmick. No batter can guess with 100% certainty if they look for a pitch. The fact the ratings of the batter and pitcher are ignored in this guessing mini-game is garbage. Plus it ruins the super relief pitchers that usually only use two pitches. It's awful easy to guess one and when they don't throw it to just sit on the other. For a game that prides itself on being sim this system is incredibly un-sim imo.

As much as I played Show 12 I can easily just download updated rosters and keep using it. Last year I loved the new pulse pitching mechanic. I want to see how they tweaked that and what new features in gameplay they offer. If there aren't any new gameplay features I may just stick with 12.

Rudy
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Beginners mode sounds pretty useless. Give me a hitter's eye mechanic!

http://kotaku.com/5968306/beginner-mode-a-tutorial-for-mlb-the-shows-non+tutorial

JeffHCross
12-17-2012, 06:49 PM
I'd expect that you'd find it pretty useless, Rudy. But sports games really need to figure out a way around the learning curve if they're going to increase the footprint of the audience. They're losing too many hardcore sports gamers to time constraints, increasing age and competition. They need to find a way to grow, somehow. And there are way too many sports fans out there that would be at a total loss playing a sports video game. That needs to change.

Rudy
12-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I'd expect that you'd find it pretty useless, Rudy. But sports games really need to figure out a way around the learning curve if they're going to increase the footprint of the audience. They're losing too many hardcore sports gamers to time constraints, increasing age and competition. They need to find a way to grow, somehow. And there are way too many sports fans out there that would be at a total loss playing a sports video game. That needs to change.

I agree with needing better tutorials but my issue with the Show is I think there are problems with the game itself that lend the game to being more difficult than it has to be. Most of the difficulty issues are related to hitting and this isn't a tutorial really. The developers are trying to teach people to be better. The real problem with the Show dev team is they think everyone should be able to play at All-Star or above and learn how to be good. But that simply isn't possible and this tutorial mode isn't really going to solve that.

Before this past game released they had done a survey and found that the number one complaint was that the game was too hard. So what do they do? Make the game even harder! I'm a veteran of this series going back to the Show '06 and I found hitting difficult this year. My brother (part time video baseball player but he knows baseball) had to put hitting on Rookie - the lowest level of 5 to try and score a decent amount of runs. The most annoying thing is the idea that these players just need to learn how to play the game and that this tutorial will fix everything. It's not. There are a couple of built in things that make the game harder than it needs to be.

1) Pitch speed has always been too fast in the Show.
Yes I know real pitchers throw hard but I can't hit that in real life either. With only a 10 point slider scale it makes it very hard to deal with the fast pitch speed unless you only see fastballs on every pitch. A poll on OS MLB forums showed that the vast majority of users lowered the pitch speed below default with the lowest setting being more popular than all the settings above default combined. These are hardcore gamers that find the pitch speed too fast. I know I always lower the pitch speed to the lowest setting to give me a chance to try and recognize fastball vs. breaking ball AND tell if a ball is a strike or not. It's difficult for me as a veteran of the series even with the pitch speed is on the slowest setting. It's one reason why I have never even averaged one walk per game and it's more like 0.5 per game instead of the 3-4 in real life. My kids can pick up Mario Super Sluggers and play it with ease. Other than a turbo pitch you can throw when you build up your meter, the pitch speed is much slower and they have no problem hitting. Same goes for 2K baseball which has a much slower default pitch speed. This is a crucial element that the devs refuse to give us more control over and makes the game harder than it needs to be.

2) Batter's eye.
I love the batter's eye in MLB 2K. It will tip the type of pitch occassionally and it allows you to time pitches better. It's actually factored in to batter's ratings and you have a slider that will have it display on virtually every pitch to very rarely. It's great. EA's MVP baseball had their own system. The Show refuses to add this and sticks with their gimmick feature Guess Pitch which I hate. This feature could make it easier for weaker players to hit the ball. I know I actually earned 7 walks in one game with MLB 2K11. I have never come close to that in years with the Show.

JeffHCross
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Ah. Well, thanks to all that background information I agree with you :)

Rudy
12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
I think the Show is a tremendous game but I can't go into the OS Show forums anymore. They just annoy me to no end. The fanboys there defend that game at all costs, refusing to accept that any part of this game has a weakness. It's a sore spot for me and I tend to get even more critical with some things that probably shouldn't bother me as much.

If I could change two areas it would be
1) Add a hitter's eye mechanic with slider like 2K has. Rip it off. I love this feature. I would tune it down so that a great player might only be tipped on 25% of the pitches. A bad hitter might never be tipped a pitch an entire AB - maybe 10% of the time. It would really allow the user to work pitchers a little more and earn more walks which I struggle with.

2) Better sliders. They need to go to a full 100 point slider system that has juice. Not a weak 10 point system that still uses global sliders for defense and things. And please add a cpu plate discipline slider. They have too much plate discipline and don't swing at enough pitches out of the zone. Of course I think batters also should be able to get a few more hits on balls out of the zone along with pitch control being reduced to give more walks.

3) I will sneak in the idea that I love 2K's analog pitching as well. But I like the pulse pitching mechanic they introduced last year.

Rudy
12-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Here is the poll on OS (only 177 votes but the results are strong). Only 4% of the hardcore baseball gamers on OS raised the pitch speed slider. Over 75% reduced it and 21% had it at the bottom. Can anyone tell me why then that the Show devs shouldn't lower the default speed other than they are super stubborn and refuse to let me play the game the way I want? There were some years where lowering it all the way was still too frustrating for me (Show 08, Show 10 were too frustrating this way).

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/541261-your-setting-pitch-speed.html

Rudy
12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Apparently they slowed down the pitch speed and made the timing windows bigger this year. One user profile for all systems.

cdj
12-18-2012, 07:17 PM
MLB The Show has always featured a selection of uniforms for our fans to play in, from current uniforms to alternate uniforms to throwback uniforms, and this year we added new designs into the mix. Each team will have 2 throwback uniform options, with OVER 30 new to MLB 13 The Show. Now enjoy some uniforms that date back to the early 1900’s, or uniforms that were used before a team relocated. Whatever teams you are a fan of, we have uniforms that represent your team through the years.

1972 Atlanta Braves
1926 Philadelphia Phillies
1977 Toronto Bluejays
1908 Boston Red Sox
1934 Cincinnati Reds
1969 Washington 'Senators'

Courtesy: Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/news/595964/mlb-13-the-show-dev-journal-new-throwback-uniforms/)

Personally, I always enjoy extra alternate, throwback, etc. uniforms in sports games, so this is a pretty cool addition - especially when you could be playing a 162+ game season. Sometimes even a different uniform can spice up a game you may not be inspired for. After all, who wants to lose in a new/special uni?

JBHuskers
12-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Considering the Vita version comes with the PS3 version, I might consider it this year.

Rudy
12-18-2012, 07:22 PM
The Tigers have some sweet baseball throwbacks based on the Detroit Stars. The 1977 Blue Jays uniforms should be burned and never seen again.

http://angels.ocregister.com/files/2009/07/detroit-stars-19201-300x225.jpg

These ones are cool too.

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/mickey-lolich-1969-detroit-tigers-uniforms.jpg

ram29jackson
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I hope they kept that basball card game in..?

steelerfan
12-18-2012, 09:53 PM
New uniforms and a new league to lose in. Sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemgUXFcfNI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

cdj
12-19-2012, 02:00 PM
IGN: Why You Might Not Suck at MLB 13: The Show (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/19/why-you-might-not-suck-at-mlb-13-the-show?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social)

MLB 13: The Show understands my pain, and that’s why it’s introducing Beginner Mode. Here, the title walks you through pitching, hitting and timing in a nine-inning game. Basically, Sony says the game throws fast balls down the middle until you’re making good, consistent contact. Then, the pitches mix in balls and strikes until you learn to lay off balls. The process continues to evolve until you no longer stink.

Even if Beginner Mode isn’t all that exciting to you, MLB 13: The Show will open up the timing window in all modes so that you have more time to make contact with pitches.

What else is new in MLB 13: The Show? Well, Sony told IGN it’s focusing on the core of the franchise. Franchise will be all about player development, your personnel budget, and using the new scouting system to build your own powerhouse. Road to the Show will be completely different and focus only on your player – as in you’ll hear your coach yelling at you if the commentators aren’t talking about you. There’s even a new mode called Show Live, but Sony isn’t ready to spill on what that is. Look for previews soon.

Also, the Pittsburgh Pirates' Andrew McCutchen and – as of this moment – the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Matt Kemp are two more cover candidates for MLB 13.

Rudy
12-21-2012, 08:25 AM
7 candidates for cover. Go Miggy! I do like most guys on the list.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/596254/buster-posey-and-miguel-cabrera-round-out-the-candidates-for-mlb-13-the-show-cover/

Rudy
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzhNBxrL3hk&feature=player_embedded

JBHuskers
01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
They call it a reveal trailer but it really didn't reveal anything to me :dunno:

Rudy
01-03-2013, 12:10 PM
They never do although at 24 seconds I saw this image below. Is that a sim engine or manage only thing?

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/Baseball%202012/mlb13theshowcapture.jpg

JBHuskers
01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Looks like it. Say you want to play a whole season, but only pitch or only hit for your team. Then you jump in when you want. That'll be nice to do since I don't have time to play full 162-game seasons like I did with Ken Griffey :D

CLW
01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
This game is ALWAYS spot on. Its a shame its just too hard to get into a dynasty/franchise rebuilding project due to the 162 game season. If you played 1 game EVERY DAY before the next game dropped you barely get through the 2nd season.

steelerfan
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Looks like it. Say you want to play a whole season, but only pitch or only hit for your team. Then you jump in when you want. That'll be nice to do since I don't have time to play full 162-game seasons like I did with Ken Griffey :D

You can already "only pitch", or "only hit" on The Show.

JBHuskers
01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
You can already "only pitch", or "only hit" on The Show.

Are you finally going to get internet by then so we can play? :D

steelerfan
01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Are you finally going to get internet by then so we can play? :D

I'm not planning to buy The Show. Great franchise, but FIFA is all I need. :)

Rudy
01-04-2013, 08:03 AM
This game is ALWAYS spot on. Its a shame its just too hard to get into a dynasty/franchise rebuilding project due to the 162 game season. If you played 1 game EVERY DAY before the next game dropped you barely get through the 2nd season.

I played 140 games in my SF season last year. That's the farthest I ever got and maybe if i hadn't ended on a 5 game losing streak to knock me out of a shot at the playoffs I might have gone further. But when football games come out I move on. Since I've been disappointed in NCAA it does give me an extra 1.5 months to play as I wait for Madden. That's plenty of my monies worth though.

The fact sheet comes out today. If I don't see a new gameplay feature I will probably stick with MLB 12.

plotty
01-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Have loved this series since I jumped on the PS3 bandwagon a couple years ago. If there was a yearly game purchase for me, this would be it versus my college FB phase in the early to mid 2000's.

JBHuskers
01-04-2013, 10:11 AM
It just amazes me how much time I had when I was in junior high. Getting through three+ seasons on Ken Griffey :D

Rudy
01-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Fact sheet out January 14th. Jan 4th was an incorrect post.

Rudy
01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
New scorebug. The interview talks about improvements to RTTS and offseason stuff. I still don't know what has changed for gameplay other than them saying it will be easier to hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaYVnwa82Ew

CLW
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Doesn't sound like anything "big" this year which isn't surprising considering its probably the LAST game on PS3 and the game is so.... solid to start off.

Rudy
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Doesn't sound like anything "big" this year which isn't surprising considering its probably the LAST game on PS3 and the game is so.... solid to start off.

They just stopped making the PS2 version last year I think. This game will still be on the PS3 for another 5 years along with every other sports game. The next gen will be slow and the user bases likely fractured and smaller. 360 and PS3 systems will be money makers for a long time yet IMO.

Rudy
01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Batter types are in the game. I hope this works as too many hits on videogames are pushed.

It's not something you select, it's the type of batter the hitter is inherently. He's either Push, Pull, Extreme Push, Extreme Pull, and balanced.

Rudy
01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Fact sheet is out. http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/599963-mlb-13-show-fact-sheet.html

I'm interested in new pulse pitching art, new pull and push batting attributes and new button fielding. It would be nice if there were more sliders, hitters eye and an outfield catching mechanic. Still no defensive ratings by position, just primary and secondary positions.

SarahMarie
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM
MLB 13 The Show Reveal Trailer Breakdown. New Features! New batting gloves, celebration animations, editing uniforms, logos. Commentary provided. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp7o5mbg57M

Rudy
01-17-2013, 08:24 AM
One thing I missed was the silhouette bat when bunting. This should make it a lot easier. I was terrible at bunting.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/attachments/mlb-show/54222d1358395899-mlb-13-show-fact-sheet-bunt.jpg

Rudy
01-19-2013, 07:46 AM
The community day event starts on the 21st for three days.

Rudy
01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
First community day impressions. Pitch speed has been slowed down.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/601047-mlb-13-show-community-day-impressions-invitees-only.html#post2044641119

cdj
01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFiIloNVU6k

Rudy
01-25-2013, 05:42 PM
It sounds to me like the gameplay will be very similar although offense will be boosted at the default levels. No new gameplay features, just tuning. Franchise got a lot of love and sounds like RTTS got some as well. They said presentation got upgraded and it needed some new commentary and a boost there. I think the crowd noises and atmosphere is better in 2K baseball but the Show's animations and overall polish are FAR, FAR superior to 2K.

Rudy
01-26-2013, 04:42 AM
The fastball and change up splits have been fixed. Finally!

Rudy
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Hitting blog.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/30/step-up-to-the-plate-mlb-13-the-show-hitting-enhancements-detailed/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+%28PlayStation.Blog%29

CLW
02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
http://youtu.be/Yv6UjZCcfRc

cdj
02-12-2013, 01:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvBSFP-9NcQ

JBHuskers
02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=vg_PSVita_Hero_MLB20off?ie=UTF8&docId=1001028041&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=F0843CF27A8F4FA5A37B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1488086822&pf_rd_i=3010556011

Uhhh I'm confused. Don't you automatically get the Vita version if you buy the PS3 version?

Rudy
02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=vg_PSVita_Hero_MLB20off?ie=UTF8&docId=1001028041&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=F0843CF27A8F4FA5A37B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1488086822&pf_rd_i=3010556011

Uhhh I'm confused. Don't you automatically get the Vita version if you buy the PS3 version?

They never did that last year. You had to buy both separately and I don't think there was anything free this year. I thought I read you could get a digital download for only $20 if you bought one or the other but that may have been incorrect. Getting any discount with cross ownership is good although I think they have to be concerned with people buying discounted bundles and selling the other half for a profit.

JBHuskers
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
They never did that last year. You had to buy both separately and I don't think there was anything free this year. I thought I read you could get a digital download for only $20 if you bought one or the other but that may have been incorrect. Getting any discount with cross ownership is good although I think they have to be concerned with people buying discounted bundles and selling the other half for a profit.

I thought with all Sony first party titles starting with PS Battle Royale it would be free if there was a cross play game.

CLW
02-14-2013, 08:42 AM
http://youtu.be/dHIbPUg_nQA

JBHuskers
02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
:fdown:

No Cross-Buy for MLB 13: The Show (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/no-cross-buy-for-mlb-13-the-show)

GatorfanStovy
02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Damn haters at Sony ugh. I was hoping it would be free or a discount at least for the vita game. however, I don't have the vita yet I do plan on hoping to get it this year. Just other games get in the way sadly or road trips too .

Just finished some of the videos. Man why can't madden be that good ugh. Sony really improves the show every year this year looks extremely great! I really liked using the tv to play a game then the vita to watch live scores and what not that was sweet.

CLW
02-19-2013, 04:02 PM
http://youtu.be/bZeHpSNzSYc

Rudy
02-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Just finished some of the videos. Man why can't madden be that good ugh. Sony really improves the show every year this year looks extremely great!

As good as the Show is it has been good for quite awhile and the game hasn't changed much on the actual field. If you played the game 5-6 years ago it will still feel very similar. The last couple of years they have offered more analog controls and I really liked pulse pitching last year. But I would say the Show hasn't changed that much over time and that Madden has changed at least as much. The big difference is the Show gameplay is very good and doesn't have any major weaknesses.

GatorfanStovy
02-21-2013, 11:03 AM
@Rudy ,
I agree about on the field part of the show.However, I just wish Madden would have it changes like the show has as far as game play and presentation . It does lack that IMO. I tend to lean more towards NCAA this year. Haven't really touched Madden but a few online games, franchise a bit. There Superstar mode is still a joke. It's getting better but nothing like RTTS is. I also wish they woould bring back the importing playing from NCAA and somthing like doing combine drills , pro days , and draft day into the NFL like ti should be along with doing other bits and pieces start out as a rookie and what not. So much more could be done to make it a fun mode.

CLW
02-25-2013, 02:49 PM
http://youtu.be/HLvuFBPumrE

Rudy
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
This game will have to wait for me. I'm not convinced enough was done with the on the field gameplay. One of the biggest areas I was hoping for was to see the cpu plate discipline reduced a bit. Quite frankly, almost all of my issues could have been fixed by adding a couple sliders like cpu plate discipline and using a 20 point slider scale instead of an incredibly small 10 point one. I would love to see a hitter's eye feature introduced in this game.

With Tomb Raider and then the Last of Us coming out I'm not sure I would get my monies worth this year. I'm not paying full price, especially when a lot of the updates are things I don't care about (like franchise when I just play season).

CLW
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
http://youtu.be/IDNflPH3iDk

cdj
02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
I think this has become the standard for both MLB 2K and The Show, but a demo is not expected pre-release for either title.

Rudy
02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
I think this has become the standard for both MLB 2K and The Show, but a demo is not expected pre-release for either title.

This will be the second year with no demo for the Show and they released one demo after release day so not a shock for them. This is the first time for 2K though and they are doing the best to cover up the fact their game is just a roster update. They wouldn't show Jon Robinson from ESPN Gamer the game either.

CLW
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
http://youtu.be/Mg3dAFi4JYg

ram29jackson
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZCfwu7uMmY

ram29jackson
03-05-2013, 03:33 AM
get it JB, get it

CLW
03-05-2013, 10:06 AM
http://youtu.be/UpdDtv6MVcM

CLW
03-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Come on UPS hurry the [CENSORED] up I got Tomb Raider; SimCity; and The Show to play! :nod:

steelerfan
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Come on UPS hurry the [CENSORED] up I got Tomb Raider; SimCity; and The Show to play! :nod:

That's a nice haul. :)

CLW
03-07-2013, 07:05 AM
played quite a bit of this yesterday and its another year and another quality baseball sim for the folks at sony. this :plat: may not be too hard to get either.

GatorfanStovy
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
So far in my RTTS 3B I'm doing great on the Braves ( drafted ) AA roster team. I'm at 15 HR's and 54 RBI's leading in HR's and batter average . Playing on All-Star level. Also leading in RBI's too. Been a great season so far.

ram29jackson
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I made different accounts so I could simply make more diamond dynasty teams :) it might be a while before they all start gelling though.

CLW
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Anyone know if/when the OS full minors rosters will be out. I dunno why but I usually wait for them before starting my chise which will in all likelihood die out around the All-Star break in year 1.

Rudy
03-18-2013, 03:51 AM
I think it normally takes those guys about a month or so. Maybe they will have those rosters ready for opening day or soon after. Not sure.

Right now I still haven't picked up MLB 13. Still working on finishing Tomb Raider.

Oneback
03-18-2013, 12:59 PM
For those of you that have MLB 13, is it worth upgrading from MLB 12 if I'm only playing RTTS?

CLW
03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
For those of you that have MLB 13, is it worth upgrading from MLB 12 if I'm only playing RTTS?

I think they made some nice improvements but its nothing "huge". My take probably not unless you want updated rosters and want/need the Astros in the AL West.

ram29jackson
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM

probably not.....they use a little more of a first person angle in the new one though...but playing solo, just keep doing the same game to see how far it goes...I traded mine in and kissed 6 seasons good bye

Rudy
03-18-2013, 03:53 PM

The one thing you should know is they removed the commentary from RTTS to make it seem like you are on the field. If you can play the game with no commentary or replays then you might enjoy the other improvements. I know some were disappointed that stuff was removed going to 13. I can't comment on anything else since it's not a mode I play. I don't even have the game yet lol. Just reporting what I read.

Oneback
03-18-2013, 05:11 PM
probably not.....they use a little more of a first person angle in the new one though...but playing solo, just keep doing the same game to see how far it goes...I traded mine in and kissed 6 seasons good bye

This is the only reason why I didn't trade it in yesterday for 13, I'm trying to go after the all-time strikeout record, will probably never get close with the amount of time I actually play - but it passes the time when I've got 30-40 min to spare.

Rudy
03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Patch out to fix the stuttering amongst other things.

ram29jackson
03-28-2013, 02:57 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--e50YE3QEaU/UVPrfR1-jLI/AAAAAAAAABQ/Qn8MNzxxhUM/s467/MLB+13+The+Show

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vEFkf97HNOg/UVPre6wqq5I/AAAAAAAAABI/5KLD0ZJIlvo/w588-h536-p-o-k/MLB%2B13%2BThe%2BShow

ram29jackson
03-29-2013, 10:20 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dQoI8-AkJPg/SBmksRfIChI/AAAAAAAABw4/fSav6tp9F7Q/s400/furies.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/7696/furies4.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/furies4.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)..

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/9640/furies3.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/furies3.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

ram29jackson
03-30-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueenwFyyuxE
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/2715/mlb13theshowh.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/mlb13theshowh.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/700/mlb13theshowp.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/mlb13theshowp.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/3593/mlb13theshow123.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/mlb13theshow123.png/)

steelerfan
03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
:fp:

ram29jackson
03-30-2013, 03:41 PM
LOL sigh :)

I cant help it, my creativity itch needs scratching. You have to admit the Furies one isnt too bad.

I should run into someone by now with the same concept/idea ?

ram29jackson
03-31-2013, 01:21 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img402/5329/awhite.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/awhite.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/2828/mlb13theshowbatb.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/mlb13theshowbatb.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/6106/mlb13blackb.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/mlb13blackb.png/)

ram29jackson
03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img221/2280/mlb13sharks.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/mlb13sharks.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img855/7708/mlb13lightb.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/mlb13lightb.png/)

ram29jackson
03-31-2013, 01:23 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/663/mlb13bbatts.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/mlb13bbatts.png/)

jaymo76
03-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Truth be told, I don't own any baseball games (except 2k7 for ps2) and I only really follow baseball in the playoffs (and occasionally check to see how the Blue Jays are doing). However, the visuals, presentation, options and gameplay for this game look spectacular. I may have to consider picking this up at some point.

CLW
04-03-2013, 04:15 PM
FYI - OS' super rosters are out now which means I can start my franchise mode which will break down around the all-star break. :nod:

steelerfan
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
FYI - OS' super rosters are out now which means I can start my franchise mode which will break down around the all-star break. :nod:

Try this, or something similar.

Game 1: play the full game
Game 2: only bat
Game 3: only pitch
Game 4: sim
Game 5: play the full game
Game 6: only bat
Game 7: only pitch
Game 8: sim

Repeat this all season and things will speed up tremendously and maybe allow you the opportunity to finish a while season.

Enviado de meu SAMSUNG SGH I997 usando o Tapatalk 2

GatorfanStovy
04-03-2013, 11:33 PM
boo siming is boring . ..

steelerfan
04-04-2013, 12:33 AM
boo siming is boring . ..

Like I said, "or something similar". If you don't want to sim any games, take that part out of the equation.

Pretty fucking simple.

Enviado de meu SAMSUNG SGH I997 usando o Tapatalk 2

Rudy
04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I had been playing Tomb Raider and hadn't tried MLB 13 yet. My brother lent me his Show 13 and I played around 3.5 games last night and this morning (two full games and then two 6 inning games). Initially I was expecting a bigger change between MLB 12 and 13 based on other people’s impressions. It looked and felt very similar.

Overview
The graphics looked the same to me although the colours might be more vibrant. I did see a couple cases of slight slowdown on some throws from the outfield but no big deal. I do like the new score bug/display and the fonts have changed on some things but this looks and feels like the Show. The commentary seems worse. I was expecting more with the addition of Steve Lyons. Instead he rarely speaks as we don’t get a lot of colour commentary and when we do it is very clear the commentary was not recorded together. Karros doesn’t appear to have many new lines either. They need to overhaul this with a true booth – much like Madden did with Nantz and Simms and how 2K does it. I need more organ music too. The sounds of the ballpark are always great to hear and 2K does a better job here.

The game is more offensively friendly and more balanced on default All-Star than MLB 12 and back to the way it used to be. After plugging in my old sliders but leaving my batting sliders at default instead of juiced up the game actually felt quite similar to MLB 12. Nobody scored more than 4 runs in any game I played. I wish in exhibition games the cpu randomly chose a starter rather than the ace every time but I was too lazy to get my other controller out to change it lol.

I will note the specific things that feel different to me.

Hitting
The timing window has changed. I hit about 3-5 balls per game where on inside pitches I was able to pull the ball despite feeling as though I swung too late. I know those same balls would have gone the opposite way in MLB 12. It doesn’t always feel realistic but it’s not too bad and I still prefer it this way. Too many hits in video game baseball end up to the opposite field for users and that’s always bothered me. This helps remedy that. I would love to see live spray charts for every batter in the game – maybe for the PS4. With this improvement and the pitch speed being slowed down a little (maybe 2 clicks overall) I have my pitch speed set at 1 instead of 0! Even I can handle this now!

The ball physics is a subtle improvement as is hit variety. Again, many of the improvements take a while to see. On some hits down the line (easier with pull timing) you see the ball curve a little more I think. But the biggest addition I thought were on two balls I saw hit over the shortstop’s head. They were hard liners but over his glove and with a sinking action that let them drop in easily before the outfielder. I don’t think those happened in MLB 12 – at least not very often as they were usually speared by the SS or carried to the outfielder’s glove. Finally on my fourth game I saw my first soft flare that landed over the 1B’s head. I was beginning to wonder if I would see them or not. I did see one foul tip strike three as well – that was nice.

I still think the game is a little too extra base hit heavy and not enough singles. Sliders may be able to fix this. One slightly annoying thing I noticed were the exaggerated batting stances of some players. I’m not an expert on these but it seemed like some guys moved too much – Alex Avila and Austin Jackson as an example. They didn’t move around that much last year but not a big issue.

Pitching
As for pitching I saw my batter get hit on the foot. Don’t remember that before. Generally speaking there are a lot more wild pitches this year – way too much imo. A starting pitching staff averages less than one total wild pitch per 5 starts in MLB. Justin Verlander threw two wild pitches in 33 starts last year. Three pitchers made 30+ starts and only had one WP. Tim Lincecum was the worst pitcher in the league last year with 17 wild pitches in 33 starts which is every other game. I see 1-3 wild pitches per game for both me and the cpu. Changeups and breaking pitches tend to “get away” from the pitcher far too often. While it does force you to be careful with what and where you throw a certain pitch in specific situations it occurs too much. I should say I am using analog pitching.

I do notice the cpu on default all-star seems to have slightly less plate discipline. A straight pitch, like a four seamer or normal changeup, wouldn’t get a cpu batter to chase off the plate last year (they would high or low but still over the plate) but I got some guys with that this year. I threw an outside straight-change that a batter went fishing for. Typically in the Show a cpu hitter will chase with two strikes but I’m not sure if the true hackers in the game chase enough on early counts. I don’t care if the guys with good eyes lay off the tough pitches but I want to see more free swingers swing freely. Generally speaking the cpu does work my pitcher as I’ve seen high pitch counts but they also seem to swing more and I notice they swing through more pitches as well. I’ve seen more Ks. It’s a more dynamic relationship than last year from what I can tell.

Fielding
I refuse to use the ugly *** new throwing meter and I haven’t noticed any new fielding animations from MLB 12 except for one instance where my outfielder goofed up picking a ball down the line and it got past him. Outfielders do appear a bit slower this year. Some balls fell in the deep gaps that I felt would be tracked down last year. One legacy issue that has always bugged me is that first basemen are too quick. You can always beat the runner to the bag and never have to toss it to the pitcher. It would be nice to see that fixed eventually.

Overall
I like the new timing window and slower pitch speed. The ball physics and hit variety have improved a bit. The pitching I’m not sure about. I like the more dynamic at bats but am concerned over all the wild pitches. Maybe that can be cured by raising consistency. The commentary and presentation is status quo or maybe a bit worse. Overall I think it’s a nice upgrade but for someone who doesn’t care about the franchise improvements (I play season only), RTTS or MLB Live I don’t know if it’s worth a $60 upgrade. Going to play more tonight and then decide if I will finally buy it.

GatorfanStovy
04-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Nice review Rudy ! I didn't play 12 so 13 feels great to me. Love most the new stuff !

Rudy
04-05-2013, 04:53 AM
I really liked MLB 12. I do think buying these games every other year makes things fresh. I played another game of MLB 13 last night. Cleveland vs. Oakland. Played a full game then played a half game of the same thing on MLB 12 and I just don't see a big enough jump for me to spend $60 to upgrade. I think I'm going to stick with 12 unless I see a really good deal.

I did boost the cpu consistency to 10 now but have cpu pitch control at 2. Saw two wild pitches and a bean ball by the cpu last night (none for me though). I only had consistency at 7 or 8 for them until I boosted it to 10 half way through. I'll play a quick 5 inning game right now. Last chance before I give the game back to my brother.

Edit - I still think there are too many balls that get away from the pitcher on curves and changes. In roughly 5 games now I've also seen two passed balls where they were straight fastballs in the strike zone the catcher just didn't catch. One was Posey and the other Avila. That didn't seem right either.

I do think there is more soft contact in MLB 13 which I'm grateful for and I do like the fact I can slow the pitch speed down a touch more. I've seen a few animations now where hot shots at the corner have the third or first basemen almost diving/leaning out of the way and they often miss the ball. Once I saw a catch on that lean.

ram29jackson
04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
my first grand slam in Diamond dynasty mode..i'm the away team

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/1489/mlb13theshow1stgrandsla.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/mlb13theshow1stgrandsla.png/)

ram29jackson
04-05-2013, 03:48 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img46/5452/mlb13theshowtall.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/mlb13theshowtall.png/)

ram29jackson
04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img825/5388/mlb13theshowchargers.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mlb13theshowchargers.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/9093/mlb13theshowhat.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/mlb13theshowhat.png/)

ram29jackson
04-07-2013, 03:12 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img853/3813/mlb13theshowbbba.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/mlb13theshowbbba.png/)

ram29jackson
04-07-2013, 03:13 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/949/mlb13theshowbbb2.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/mlb13theshowbbb2.png/)

ram29jackson
04-07-2013, 03:13 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img690/7407/mlb13theshowagp.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/mlb13theshowagp.png/)

ram29jackson
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Bad news Bears

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/1889/mlb13theshowbyh.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/mlb13theshowbyh.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/5762/mlb13theshowcapy.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/mlb13theshowcapy.png/)

away embellishment

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/5016/mlb13theshowaway7b.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/mlb13theshowaway7b.png/)

Rudy
04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
One thing the Show doesn't emulate well (I don't think 2K does it well either and maybe no baseball game in history) are pitchers like Detroit's Al Alburquerque. (That name is also brutal to spell and takes up his entire jersey lol). He has a nasty slider and he throws it about 60% of the time. Just a two-pitch pitcher. He doesn't have great control of that slider which also dips quite a bit. He gets a lot of swings and misses out of the zone when he can keep it close to the plate. The other day against the Yankees he should have walked in a run but got a batter to swing twice at sliders that fell into the dirt, including one on a 3-2 count. I know the pitchers have a break rating but I think the cpu plate discipline should drop more than it does as that break rating goes up. I'd like to see a stronger correlation there.

Also, when is the Show going to have defensive ratings for every position? Just having primary and secondary positions is archaic. Some guys can play multiple positions well. A guy like Don Kelly can play every outfield spot well as 1B and 3B. He's good on defense everywhere but you can't have that in the Show and you can't even create a guy that can play all those positions. You automatically take a 20% hit on defense for your secondary spot and an 80% hit for playing out of position. It's not a good system. 2K's defensive position ratings are done well.

ram29jackson
04-13-2013, 09:56 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img195/9050/mlb13theshow11.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/mlb13theshow11.png/)

ram29jackson
04-13-2013, 09:57 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img705/2674/mlb13theshow22.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/mlb13theshow22.png/)

ram29jackson
04-13-2013, 09:57 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img571/8308/mlb13theshowzz.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/mlb13theshowzz.png/)

ram29jackson
04-13-2013, 09:59 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/3759/mlb13theshowtag.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/mlb13theshowtag.png/)

ram29jackson
04-13-2013, 10:00 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/923/mlb13theshowbrb2.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/mlb13theshowbrb2.png/)

ram29jackson
04-13-2013, 10:01 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img202/5487/mlb13theshowbrb1.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/mlb13theshowbrb1.png/)

ram29jackson
04-13-2013, 10:03 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/8792/mlb13theshowhead.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/mlb13theshowhead.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/759/mlb13theshowred.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/mlb13theshowred.png/)

ram29jackson
04-15-2013, 05:15 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/9792/mlb13theshowgl.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/mlb13theshowgl.png/)

ram29jackson
04-15-2013, 05:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbDM_AiwPZk

ram29jackson
04-15-2013, 05:16 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/7782/mlb13theshows3.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/mlb13theshows3.png/)

ram29jackson
04-15-2013, 05:17 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/7440/mlb13theshowgbbbb.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/mlb13theshowgbbbb.png/)

ram29jackson
04-15-2013, 05:19 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img829/9681/mlb13theshowbgbb.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/mlb13theshowbgbb.png/)

ram29jackson
04-19-2013, 11:07 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img208/7858/mlb13theshowblu1.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/mlb13theshowblu1.png/)

ram29jackson
04-19-2013, 11:08 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img801/8370/mlb13theshowblu2.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/mlb13theshowblu2.png/)

ram29jackson
04-19-2013, 11:21 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img38/1512/mlb13theshowbp1sss.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/mlb13theshowbp1sss.png/)

ram29jackson
04-19-2013, 11:21 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img248/1097/mlb13theshowby3.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/mlb13theshowby3.png/)

GatorfanStovy
04-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Whats with all the screen shots that keep coming along? I miss the show. I'm out on the road this week,

SmoothPancakes
04-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Because Ram insists on flooding the thread with pictures of all his "creations". Reason #1 of why I pretty much stop visiting this thread altogether once I start seeing a bunch of new posts by Ram.

LeeSO
04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I wish my creations would look like Ram's, I cant seem to make the logos fit the hat or jersey without it looking like shit.

ram29jackson
04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Because Ram insists on flooding the thread with pictures of all his "creations". Reason #1 of why I pretty much stop visiting this thread altogether once I start seeing a bunch of new posts by Ram.

I wish my creations would look like Ram's, I cant seem to make the logos fit the hat or jersey without it looking like shit.

you're both welcome and thank you too :D

just keep messing with it leeso, last year I couldnt do crap. Now i'm just getting some basics out. It takes a while to mess with it. But its also easier then you think at first.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2579/mlb13theshowinsideparkh.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/mlb13theshowinsideparkh.png/)

ram29jackson
04-20-2013, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21uv2iMpig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRUC3cO6uA8

ram29jackson
04-20-2013, 08:02 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img7/9306/mlb13theshowpirates.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/mlb13theshowpirates.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/4929/mlb13theshowpasadenappi.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/mlb13theshowpasadenappi.png/)

GatorfanStovy
04-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Ram how much time do you really have on your hands now?

Rudy
04-21-2013, 04:39 AM
I'm glad I never bought MLB 13. This is a great series but the game changes VERY slowly from year to year. I was burnt out on it after 09, went to 2K baseball for two years and came back last year. Had a blast last year but I'm getting that stale feeling again. The feel of the game is so similar they need to add a new feature like 2K's hitter's eye or MVP's system. And please get a whole bunch of new announcers. I think that would bring the game back to a fresh feeling.

Right now I had started up a Tigers season on MLB 12 and I'm just not feeling it. I did like MLB 13 but it's not that different outside the new timing window which lets you pull inside pitches better.

GatorfanStovy
04-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm glad I never bought MLB 13. This is a great series but the game changes VERY slowly from year to year. I was burnt out on it after 09, went to 2K baseball for two years and came back last year. Had a blast last year but I'm getting that stale feeling again. The feel of the game is so similar they need to add a new feature like 2K's hitter's eye or MVP's system. And please get a whole bunch of new announcers. I think that would bring the game back to a fresh feeling.

Right now I had started up a Tigers season on MLB 12 and I'm just not feeling it. I did like MLB 13 but it's not that different outside the new timing window which lets you pull inside pitches better.

How is 2k better? I just don't see the graphics living up to the show graphics ?

Rudy
04-22-2013, 05:23 AM
How is 2k better? I just don't see the graphics living up to the show graphics ?

The graphics don't match up. The stadiums are fine but the animations are choppy and the transition animations are terrible at times. Player faces are pretty good for the elite players but most average and below players are just generic. 2K baseball is also buggy. 90 to 95% of the comparisons you make between 2K and the Show would have the Show winning. However, there are a few areas where 2K does shine.

Advantages for 2K
1) Commentary. They have a three team booth that acts like a real booth. Not separate audio spliced together. It's just fantastic. The overall atmosphere, commentary and pacing of the game is better and more fun.
2) Analog pitching. The pitching system was a ton of fun for me. It's very different from the show and requires different movements on the r-stick for every pitch you throw. I liked it a lot.
3) Batter's eye. If you struggle to get walks in a baseball game this helps a lot. Each hitter is graded with how good their eye is. Better hitters and more importantly more patient hitters that work the count will get a high rating. This will have the game flash the pitch type and general location of a pitch (up, outside, down the middle) 1-2 times an AB for a great hitter and often 0 times for a bad eye. At default it is more than that but there is a slider for it. In the Show every batter feels the same in the way you see a ball. This allows you to feel the difference between hackers and guys who draw walks.

The Show uses Guess Pitch which is pure arcade garbage. Everyone just guesses fastball and sits on the offspeed stuff. This really hurts the relievers who often only throw two pitches. Just guess one and sit on the other. Plus ratings don't matter. You could be a minor league callup facing Kershaw and you have just as good a chance at guessing his pitches as Miguel Cabrera. Horrid gimmick imo.
4) Defensive ratings. Every player has a defensive rating for every position. The Show is terrible in defensive ratings. Everyone gets just one position and one rating. Then your secondary position is given 80% of that rating and all other positions 20%. You can't even list all the secondary positions for some guys. A guy like Donny Kelly on Detroit is a poor hitter but he's an excellent defensive player at many positions. He can play any position in the OF as well as 3B, 1B and even fill in a pinch at 2B. The Show does a horrible job with defensive ratings for utility players.
5) Pitcher style. I think 2K does a better job of having the pitchers pitch to their real-life style. The Show pitch ratings were fairly bad in the past but are better this year.
6) Base running system. 2K's is simple with how they use the r-stick. I have never liked the Show's and always use auto base running as a result
7) Fly ball catching system. The actual location of the landing spot is delayed for bad fielders. Good outfielders don't just rely on speed. It's an interesting concept.
8) Pitch speed. It's always been very customizable with 2K. I've always had to reduce the Show's pitch speed slider to 0 although with the Show 13 I actually found 1 to be good! First time in a LONG time. Some years even 0 would frustrate the crap out of me.

Disadvantages of 2K besides graphics and animations (huge plus for the Show)
1) Hitting system too rigid and this really bugged me after awhile. Some like this but too often you HAVE to go the opposite way with an outside pitch and you have to pull an inside pitch. There is far too big a gap between contact and power swing imo and there is far too much opposite field power in the game. If you use the analog hitting system you will find the power guys will hit too many HRs and the lighter guys not hitting enough. NO Zone hitting in 2K. It's all timing which is fine with me but others will dismiss this game strictly for that reason.
2) Overall polish and bugs. I don't know about this year's game but the polish level has always been FAR lower than the Show. There have always been bugs and glitches that crop up too often for my liking as well. You can deal with them but annoying all the same. There are no glaring issues with the Show. It has always been a great game but it gets stale for me since it changes so little in how it plays and feels.
3) Manager AI. Can't comment on this year but the cpu used to be really stupid in 2K with how it used its bullpen and pinch hitters.
4) Visiting the Mound and confidence. When you pitcher gets rattled/loses composure they become horrible. Visiting the mound gives you two options - calming the pitcher or increasing stamina. It's arcade like as your pitcher will always be very calm afterwards and I don't think a pitcher should get a stamina boost either. There is a slider for composure though.
5) Hit variety. The ball physics aren't as good. You don't see the hooks down the line like the Show has. Hit variety was AWFUL in 2K10 but improved the last couple years.

Generally speaking the Show is a great game and most would agree it's better than 2K. 2K is rougher, buggier, uglier than the Show. It has glaring issues where the Show is polished everywhere. I really can't stress the level of polish enough - it's a massive gap between the two games. But 2K is fun with a different feel. The commentary is a breath of fresh air and the pitching system is fun. If you don't like the analog pitching then I would definitely stay away. Batter's eye is also a big plus.

It was a nice break for me from the Show. I miss having different options for all the sports games. Nowadays the cost of making a game is so high we don't get choices anymore. If you love the Show then don't bother with 2K. If you are getting bored with it then rent it and give it a shot. It's a good change of pace. For me I was never able to play past 50 or so games in a 2K franchise since some of the thing would end up bugging me about the game. With the Show I've come awful close to playing full seasons. Last year I made it to 140 or so with the SF Giants. That's partly why I'm burned out this year.

GatorfanStovy
04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Rudy,
that is a great post about the differences of each game. I don't like the analog pitching / batting just not for me. I may give 2k a try next year if they don't make the show 14 for ps3 next summer or not we will see. Because I won't be able to afford both the new xbox / ps4 right out of the gate. So I'm gonna get the new xbox right off. just time well tell. I just wish games were a little cheaper then 60 bucks. I remember way back when 2k games was like 30/20 bucks brand new.

SmoothPancakes
04-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Rudy,
that is a great post about the differences of each game. I don't like the analog pitching / batting just not for me. I may give 2k a try next year if they don't make the show 14 for ps3 next summer or not we will see. Because I won't be able to afford both the new xbox / ps4 right out of the gate. So I'm gonna get the new xbox right off. just time well tell. I just wish games were a little cheaper then 60 bucks. I remember way back when 2k games was like 30/20 bucks brand new.

You may as well pick up this year's 2K. MLB2K is dead. They only reason they even made one this year is because MLB and 2K struck a quick one year deal, which the game pretty much consisted of nothing more than a roster update. With only since something like September or October to work on the game with the quick one-off deal between them and MLB, they had no chance to do anything of substance to the game. It's pretty much a carbon copy of MLB 2K12.

ram29jackson
04-22-2013, 02:31 PM
you can turn guess pitch off as host for an online game. Its not a problem.

its not used in Diamond dynasty at all

Rudy
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
you can turn guess pitch off as host for an online game. Its not a problem.

its not used in Diamond dynasty at all

I don't play online and I never use Guess Pitch. I just feel it's unrealistic and that 2ks batters eye or the MVP system are much, much better.

Gator - Smooth is right. This is the last year for 2K. Pick a copy up cheap later on.

GatorfanStovy
04-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Oh I see so is xbox not getting a baseball game next yer then? Because again I won't be able to get both of the newer systems next holiday season. I'll just stick the MLB the show for know. I still love it so its all good. Thanks for input guys.

Rudy
04-24-2013, 04:43 AM
Oh I see so is xbox not getting a baseball game next yer then? Because again I won't be able to get both of the newer systems next holiday season. I'll just stick the MLB the show for know. I still love it so its all good. Thanks for input guys.

Nobody knows for sure. It didn't look like the XBox was going to get a baseball game this year. The baseball license had expired and 2K said they weren't interested in paying the old fee. Suddenly a few months before release they announce there is a game. They just quickly updated the rosters and schedule and pretty much put out a patched 2K12. They even removed online leagues. Charging full price for 2K13 was criminal imo for the lack of updates in the game. Who knows? Maybe they do the same thing next year.

If you really want to check it out, guys on OS have used Reditor for 2K12 (only on the 360 or PC) and fixed the schedules and rosters so 2K12 is updated. Futhermore they made roster edits to the anticipation of players and some other things that apparently smooth out some animations and fix things. If you can get those updates I would suggest just buying 2K12 for $20 and skip 2K13.

countryboy
06-29-2013, 06:27 AM
So I take it that not too many people on here play this game, seeing as how its been over 2 months since a post. :)

For me, this game is the one game that year after year stands the test of time. And what I mean by that is that I will play this game up until the new one drops. Yes I am a baseball nut, but this game is just soooo damn good. No gimmicks, no flashy feature to draw you in, just pure baseball. :)

And with that, its time to start season number 3. :)

CLW
06-29-2013, 06:51 AM
I have the game and play it from time to time. It's a VERY SOLID title (the best sim sports game on the market IMHO). However, the season is simply too long of a grind and I always run out of steam. Every year I debate whether to pick this title up and I have always gotten it and probably don't play it enough time compared to other titles that aren't as good quality wise (NCAA etc...)

countryboy
06-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Yeah with baseball being my favorite sport(played from T-Ball through College) its easier I guess for me to go through the grind. :) The season is long though, which is funny because it takes nearly 2 months for me to complete a season whereas with NCAA or Madden it takes about 2 weeks...lol

Rudy
06-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I never bothered to get the new game. Still have MLB 12 (which I played a ton) but haven't played it much this year. The Show is a great game but the announcing has gotten tired and the stadium experience needs an update. I miss the old baseball games where you could here the vendors and this game needs more organ music and baseball music in general. Any time I go to a real ball game the local organist is always trying to lead chants or playing stuff. This is missing with the Show.

The game doesn't have any major weaknesses. It's biggest problem is competing against itself. The on field gameplay never changes that much year to year and I find the game gets stale and I need a break from it. Buying every other year is all I need. Baseball isn't my favourite sport though (football).

countryboy
06-29-2013, 11:07 AM
I never bothered to get the new game. Still have MLB 12 (which I played a ton) but haven't played it much this year. The Show is a great game but the announcing has gotten tired and the stadium experience needs an update. I miss the old baseball games where you could here the vendors and this game needs more organ music and baseball music in general. Any time I go to a real ball game the local organist is always trying to lead chants or playing stuff. This is missing with the Show.

The game doesn't have any major weaknesses. It's biggest problem is competing against itself. The on field gameplay never changes that much year to year and I find the game gets stale and I need a break from it. Buying every other year is all I need. Baseball isn't my favourite sport though (football).

Presentation is easliy the weakest part of the game. I am expecting big things next year in this department when the game debuts on the PS4.

Outside of that, as you said the game is solid. As a baseball junkie, there are little things here and there that I would like to see addressed, but nothing that ruins the fun factor. I am beginning my third year in this years installment(play every game from ST to playoffs) and I still enjoy the hell out of it. :)

GatorfanStovy
07-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Well after 2 years of grinding it out in AA and AAA level and then one season and a half in MLB I am finally a full starter on the Braves as a 3B / utility infielder!

countryboy
07-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Well after 2 years of grinding it out in AA and AAA level and then one season and a half in MLB I am finally a full starter on the Braves as a 3B / utility infielder!

Congrats!

JBHuskers
07-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Just started my RTTS on Vita as a 2B. Drafted by the Angels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta