PDA

View Full Version : Winston: "Tell him about the Twinkie." Venkman: "What about the Twinkie?"

cdj
11-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Stock up now, boys!

:(

Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business

Hostess, the makers of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, is going out of business after striking workers failed to heed a Thursday deadline to return to work, the company said.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” Hostess CEO Gregory F. Rayburn said in announcing that the firm had filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to shutter its business. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”

Hostess Brands Inc. had warned employees that it would file to unwind its business and sell off assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by 5 p.m. Thursday. In announcing its decision, Hostess said its wind down would mean the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, approximately 5,500 delivery routes and 570 bakery outlet stores in the United States.

The Irving, Texas-based company had already reached a contract agreement with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. But thousands of members in its second-biggest union went on strike late last week after rejecting in September a contract offer that cut wages and benefits. Officials for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union say the company stopped contributing to workers' pensions last year.

In an interview with Fox Business, CEO Gregory Rayburn said many workers had already crossed picket lines this week to go back to work despite warnings by union leadership that they'd be fined.

"The problem is we don't have enough crossing those lines to maintain normal production," said Rayburn, who first joined Hostess earlier this year as a restructuring expert.

Hostess said that production at about a dozen of the company's 33 plants had been seriously affected by the strike. Three plants were closed earlier this week.

The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade. The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing. Hostess had argued that workers must make concessions for it to exit bankruptcy and improve its financial position.

The company, founded in 1930, was fighting battles beyond labor costs, however. Competition is increasing in the snack space and Americans are increasingly conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake's and Nature's Pride snacks.

If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin closing operations as early as Tuesday.

"Most employees who lose their jobs should be eligible for government-provided unemployment benefits," Hostess said.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

LINK (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/NATL-Twinkies-Maker-Hostess-Going-Out-of-Business-179643161.html)

SmoothPancakes
11-16-2012, 07:51 AM
So now what the hell are we supposed to eat when Skynet becomes self-aware, all the nukes in the world go boom and those who survive are living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

steelerfan
11-16-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm not a fan of any of those products, but that sucks for the people whose job will be gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

cdj
11-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm not a fan of any of those products, but that sucks for the people whose job will be gone.

Same. That's a lot of damn jobs lost across the board. I figure some company will buy the rights/recipe to keep make Twinkie's and some of the other products, but will do so at their own existing plants & facilities. The vast majority of these jobs are long gone. :(

steelerfan
11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Same. That's a lot of damn jobs lost across the board. I figure some company will buy the rights/recipe to keep make Twinkie's and some of the other products, but will do so at their own existing plants & facilities. The vast majority of these jobs are long gone. :(

I also feel bad for Eric. According to snoop, Eric loves the taste of a Ding Dong.

psusnoop
11-16-2012, 08:53 AM
I also feel bad for Eric. According to snoop, Eric loves the taste of a Ding Dong.

:D

I too feel bad for those that wanted to work but once again Unions, prove that they are not as valuable as they were in the past.

CLW
11-16-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm tempted to comment here re: the cause of the downfall of Hostess but I better not b/c it would likely offend someone. Snoop is on the right track though. :nod:

morsdraconis
11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
:smh:

Blame a union when the company isn't paying competitive wages or competitive healthcare isn't provided.

SmoothPancakes
11-16-2012, 12:40 PM

Blame a union when the company isn't paying competitive wages or competitive healthcare isn't provided.

Yeah, go look up what kind of ridiculous sums the CEO and management paid each other in bonuses and other perks just recently, even while threatening that the company might go under, as well as the pathetic levels of mismanagement by those same douchebags in recent months and years.

bdoughty
11-16-2012, 04:20 PM
For fucks sake, keep your political yammering out of the snack cake discussion.

There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date. Some day very soon, Life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go... empty. - Tallahassee

SmoothPancakes
11-16-2012, 06:16 PM
For fucks sake, keep your political yammering out of the snack cake discussion.

There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date. Some day very soon, Life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go... empty. - Tallahassee

They started it. :D ;)

Although, you just need look at the history to know that those running the company were a bunch of dumbfucks. Hostess when through bankruptcy twice since 2004, including just this past January. Also, if the company couldn't make it more than one week with the strike before closing the doors, then the financial situation of the company was apparently already so fucked up it potentially would have only been a matter of time before they closed anyways.

As for Twinkies and other Hostess items, I don't get what everyone is crying and bitching about on Facebook. Someone is going to buy up those recipes and other stuff through the liquidation sale and that shit will be right back in the market in due time.

psuexv
11-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Nothing better than a chocolate Ding Dong

steelerfan
11-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Nothing better than a chocolate Ding Dong

Exactly what snoop said that you'd say.

SmoothPancakes
11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Fuck, I should have gone up to Chief earlier in the week and bought out the stock of Twinkies. I could be making a killing on eBay right now. Single boxes going for anywhere from $20 to $40 right now. An auction of 5 boxes is up to $152 with 29 bids made and 21 hours still to go. Damn, I could have made a nice and very easy chunk of money.

JeffHCross
11-16-2012, 09:34 PM
@ShutdwnFullback: We just bought 3 pallets of Twinkies. RIP sweet friend!
@SBN_BillC: You have until 2044 to eat them.

cdj
11-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Hostess Brands, the maker of the iconic Twinkies snack cakes, may find a buyer when it heads to bankruptcy court today to liquidate the 82-year-old company, the company's CEO says.

"I think we'll find buyers," CEO Gregory F. Rayburn told ABC News on Sunday. "A few have surfaced already since Friday expressing interest in the brand to acquire them."

Con Agra and Flowers Foods are among the companies that have expressed interest in Hostess, but Mexican company El Grupo Bimbo may have an edge, the Christian Science Monitor reported Saturday. Grupo Bimbo, headed by Mexican billionaire Daniel Servitje Montull, is the largest bread-baking company in the world.

Economists say part of the reason Hostess struggled was due to high sugar tariffs meant to protect local producers, the Monitor reported. Grupo Bimbo could take advantage of lower sugar prices in Mexico.

LINK (http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/twinkies-may-buyer-hostess-ceo-says-114447661--abc-news-deals.html)