PDA

View Full Version : The Real Debate - Food Wars Entry# 2.5 - What condiments do you like on your Burger?

morsdraconis
10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Same as the pizza one, there can be drastically different burgers based on taste, so why not fight about them?

Once again, multiple choice with an option for cheese (I personally don't like cheese on my burgers).

Fight!

gschwendt
10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger with mustard, pickle, lettuce & onion.

NatureBoy
10-22-2012, 10:45 AM
:drool: Everything on your list except mustard and mayo.

skipwondah33
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Ketchup, Cheese, Pickles, Lettuce, Tomato and that's it

Occasionally will do Bacon

souljahbill
10-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion (preferably grilled but raw is acceptable), and BBQ sauce. I won't argue against pickles and/or bacon but neither are as necessary as the aforementioned toppings.

psuexv
10-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Cheese, Ketchup, Mustard, pickles, onions, bacon and lettuce :drool:

SCClassof93
10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Cheese, bacon and lettuce ONLY

bdoughty
10-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Cheese, ketchup, pickles, mayo and bacon.

souljahbill
10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
So I'm the only BBQ sauce man?

bdoughty
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM

We will on occasion grill the burgers with Hickory Sauce mixed in. Also I do enjoy when Whataburger has their A-1 Think and Hearty burgers.

morsdraconis
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM

Nah, I like BBQ sauce on my burger too if it's the right type (Outback Steakhouse has an awesome BBQ burger with sauted onions and such that's pretty awesome - I think it was Outback, could be wrong though).

JeffHCross
10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Damon's Grill
Big South Burger
8 oz Fresh burger, flame grilled, topped with BBQ pulled pork, melted cheddar cheese and crispy onion straws.

But on a normal burger (e.g. Five Guys), ketchup, mustard, pickles.

psusnoop
10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Bacon, ketchup and onions :up:

bdoughty
11-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Interesting that Zagat just released a survey on condiments and other things.

http://blog.zagat.com/2012/11/burger-survey-results-revealed-toppings_7.html

Just pasting it so you do not have to scroll and go through the horrendous slideshow setup.

Medium Rare Please, and No Thanks on That Veggie Burger (At Least for Guys)

A plurality of burger lovers prefer their meat to be a little pink, with 38% reporting that they like their patty to be medium rare, followed by 36% who enjoy medium. It turns out that a well-done burger (aka a "hockey puck") really does turn people off, with only 6% saying they like it cooked to a crisp.

The gender divide also was evident when it came to veggie burgers. While 50% of females said they enjoy a meatless option on occasion, only 33% of guys admit to eating these.

The Stats: How Do You Like Your Burger Cooked?

Medium Rare: 38%
Medium: 36%
Medium Well: 16%
Well Done: 6%
Rare: 4%

Specialty Restaurants Rock

While 14% report heading to a fast-food joint to get their fix, 50% say they prefer to go to a specialty burger restaurant, showing that efforts to trick out patties (Wagyu beef! Stuffed with foie gras!) have some merit. Carnivores also prep custom versions at home (14%) and head to everyday restaurants that may happen to serve a burger (18%).

With these stats, it should come as no surprise that 69% of people report that they've eaten a burger with gourmet ingredients like truffles or foie gras.

The Stats: Where Do You Typically Go?

Specialty Burger Restaurant: 15%
More General Restaurant: 18%
Fast-Food Spot: 14%
Make at Home: 14%
Other: 3%

The Toppings: More Is Better (and Break Out the Fancy Buns)

When it comes to choosing toppings, the correct answer seems to be "all of them." Cheese, lettuce, bacon, tomatoes, grilled onions and pickles all proved popular. There were some turnoffs, including jalapenos, raw onions and mushrooms, but folks don't seem hesitant to load up. Oh, and while the restaurant is busy adding toppings, it should break out the fancy bread - 60% of diners say they want a specialty bun (brioche, etc.) while only 23% prefer a regular bun.

The Stats:

Which Toppings Do You Like Best? (choose multiple):
Cheese: 82%
Lettuce: 59%
Tomato: 59%
Grilled Onion: 56%
Bacon: 54%
Pickles: 48%
Raw Onions: 43%
Mushrooms: 33%

Which Is Your Least Favorite Topping? (choose one):
Jalapenos: 20%
Raw Onions: 15%
Mushrooms: 13%
Guac: 12%
Pickles: 12%

Condiments and Cheese

Ok, no one's mind is blown by the fact that people like ketchup (66% say they put it on their burger), but they also like mustard, mayo, barbecue sauce and Thousand Island dressing. In fact, only 6% of surveyors say they don't put any condiments on their patty. But you can hold the relish (or save it for the hot dogs), as that was voted the group's least favorite.

When it comes to cheese, cheddar is the clear winner, with 38% marking it as their favorite. That's followed by American, blue cheese and Swiss.

The Stats:

Favorite Condiment (choose multiple):
Ketchup: 66%
Mustard: 47%
Mayo: 44%
Barbecue Sauce: 27%
Thousand Island: 17%

Least Favourite Condiment: (choose 1):
Relish: 20%
Mayo: 19%
Hot Sauce: 18%

Cheese, Please:
Cheddar: 38%
American: 15%
Blue Cheese: 13%
Swiss: 12%
Monterey Jack: 6%

Burgers for Lunch

It's no surprise that a majority of respondents report enjoying burgers at dinner (75% to be precise), but 65% of folks who took the survey said that they also enjoy a midday patty (respondents were able to vote more than once). Though we've had our share of patties after a night at the bar, only 9% say they like a burger for a late-night snack, while a die-hard 2% report eating burgers for breakfast.

The Stats: Do You Mostly Eat Burgers for...?

Dinner: 75%
Lunch: 60%
Late-Night Snack: 9%
Breakfast: 2%

Turkey Burgers Are Lame; Grass-Fed Beef = Meh

People overwhelmingly prefer good ol' fashioned beef in their burgers - a whopping 85% want that Whopper made with cow, while only 5% of diners prefer bison and 4% enjoy turkey. Are the other options better for you? Yes. Does anyone care? Not so much.

The survey also saw some mixed emotions about grass-fed and organic beef. Despite these terms popping up on more and more menus, only 15% said that it's very important to them. 43% said it's somewhat important, and 42% said it's not important at all.

SmoothPancakes
11-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Medium rare on the burger? I like my burgers medium well, I like my steaks medium rare.

morsdraconis
11-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Medium rare on the burger? I like my burgers medium well, I like my steaks medium rare.

I want my burger done. Pink in a burger is NOT cool. Pink in a steak, awesome.

SmoothPancakes
11-08-2012, 06:05 AM
I want my burger done. Pink in a burger is NOT cool. Pink in a steak, awesome.

Yes. :nod: Pink in a steak is golden. In a burger, hell no. I've made enough burgers and have watch enough of other people making burgers in my life to not at all be willing to eat a burger with pink inside.