PDA

View Full Version : Player Weight, Acceleration and Momentum

Rudy
09-20-2012, 04:38 PM
How many of you guys like the way players move? I felt NCAA 13 was very poor in this area. This is in terms of how easy it is to change directions without losing speed, accelerating to top speed very quickly and therefore not having enough momentum. When players are at top speed they should not be able to change directions nearly as well as when they are slower and I think EA misses the mark in this area. On the PS2 the sprint button really restricted you but there is no such restriction this gen.

Watch this highlight film from last week's NFL games (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000063338/NFL-Red-Zone-Top-5-plays). I'd love to get a youtube video of Eric Wright's INT return (#3) against Eli but it's copyrighted and not available. Look at how he makes a nice hard cut but then how long it takes for him to get back to full speed. Look at how the Giants OL are so much slower and struggle with any change of direction when making tackles. I think the final broken tackle by Reggie Bush is something the Infinity Engine does a nice job with. Overall though those plays are impossible to create in an EA football game, especially NCAA imo.

Overall I think NCAA really misses the mark on player movement. Madden is definitely better but it's still off. I wish we had a set of sliders or options to control this area like they allow us with game speed or speed threshold. Next year the Madden team is talking about true foot planting. I hope it helps in this area because I think it would be huge to improve the game.

souljahbill
09-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Hopefully, the next generation engine will take weight and momentum into effect. Then maybe shuffling LBs/DBs won't be able to cover receivers running forward.