PDA

View Full Version : I need some Defensive help....

gigemaggs99
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Calling all Def coordinators...

So I played this guy online in the lobby, he was a level 28. I picked San Diego St, he was Auburn but then changed his team to UCF. I was able to hold my own for the most part but then he fell into a rhythm and I couldn't seem to find the answer.

I was running the 4-3 PB. I would come out in Cover 1, Man, a few cover 0 man blitzes and was doing ok. Then he started throwing screens to his HB. I'd user control my MLB and hurry to the HB side but he would have 3-4 blockers and my 1 MLB couldn't get through them, so he'd pick up the 1st down. I tried cover 2 Man & Zone, Cover 3 & 4 vs the screen but nothing seemed to help, his HB would just out run me to the corner and pick up the 1st.

Then he'd run an HB delayed hand-off from SG. I tried some 4-3 normal Spy and this would hold him to a 5 yard gain, but I couldn't stop the delay.

Then the next play would either be a screen again or a PA where his TE would run a out/fade route to the sideline and he'd be wide open. I tried cover 2 zone & Man, cover 3 and cover 1 highlighting this TE.

It basically seemed like if I came out in cover 2 he'd audible to a HB delay. If I came out in cover 1 or 3 he'd throw the screen, then he'd throw the PA to the TE in there for good measures. But in the end it seemed like 3 plays just mixed really well.

The ONLY play I was able to use against the screen was 4-3 Over Plus Corner Dog 1. This would get the CB in the backfield and he'd knock down the screen, wouldn't pick it off but he'd tip the pass to the ground.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions.

goblue23
08-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I've found that the best way to stop the screen is to control the defensive end on the running backs side of the field and bust the play up with him. As far as the corner route to the tight end I've had minimal success stopping it highlighting the player the pass is going to so I'm interested in hearing anyone else's strategy.

psuexv
08-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I'd try going Nickel and throw in some 3-3-5 stack.

Might want to try hot routing the DE on the RB side into a contain. Might be able to get him out there. Also man works pretty well on the screen plays, especially if you pick it up and get another player out there with who you are controlling.

As for the TE, hot route a double team on him with safety. If he's not running 3 wide you should have your Nickelback on the TE and if you drop a double team on him that should help. Only downfall would be if he actually recognizes this but from the sounds of it he's a 3 play guy.

gigemaggs99
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Ok, new day, new ?.

Any tips on shutting down the CPU scrambling QB? I just played Army with my Kent St squad. I was up 28-7 and using the 4-3 PB. The Army QB would stay in the pocket then as everyone was covered he'd bust out and get great gains. So I went with a cover 1 QB Spy, no luck. I tried Cover 2 Nickel QB Spy, no luck. I tried user controlling the MLB and as soon as he'd bust up the gut I'd try and tackle him with tackling on Conservative and he'd bust the tackles.

The CPU ARMY ended up coming back and taking me to OT, where I scored first 35-28 then sacked him on their first play and he fumbled the ball and we recovered to win in OT but I was pretty close to throwing my controller for the first time in a LONG while. Is it b/c I'm on heisman difficulty? Why on earth can't I contain the QB?

It seems like some games I sack the daylights out of him and other games the QB is like Mike Vick with wings?

gschwendt
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Spy should certainly do the trick. You might have to use your best LB as a spy, but he should be able to do it. I never user a Spy.

psuexv
08-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Spy should certainly do the trick. You might have to use your best LB as a spy, but he should be able to do it. I never user a Spy.

Yep, or if you are playing a team like Army who probably isn't going to stretch you deep go 4-4 Cover 1. Your one MLB will be in zone, control him and sit in the zone on passing plays and just keep your eye on the QB and you should be able to come up and make the tackle.

gigemaggs99
08-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Ok thanks, I'll make sure and schedule them next season to try again.

Marlowe
08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
for the screens usually crashing the dline out might cover it...if I suspect a screen I'll call a 4-3 stack 2 man under and crash the dline out then pinch them...user cover with a safety...doesn't always work though...sometimes the DE's get blocked and you have to manually cover the RB...I have picked off the screen on occasion doing this though.

JeffHCross
08-23-2012, 11:07 PM
So I went with a cover 1 QB Spy, no luck. I tried Cover 2 Nickel QB Spy, no luck.Since you were playing with Kent State, this might not work (as I've only used it with Florida State), but you were also playing Army so it might be okay. Instead of switching to Cover 1 Spy or Cover 2 Spy, try either using the same defenses you normally used (that were effective) and changing a DE to Spy OR taking a defensive lineman off the field (Nickel 3-3-5, for example), calling a defense with a blitzing LB (Cover 2 Man, for example) and changing the blitzing LB to a Spy.

gigemaggs99
08-26-2012, 05:33 PM
I thank ya'll for the input.

Here's what I've been trying the last couple of games. When I think the CPU might be scrambling or running the screen play I come out in either 4-3 over or under depending on which hash mark I'm on. Then I take the DE on the over/under side and put him in a spy. Then blitz the outside LB on the opposite side. Then I user control the MLB and do my best to mop up.

It's amazing how many sacks I get now on the QB attempting to scramble and the Screen has been blown up as the CPU will not not even attempt the pass.

I'm still having issues even against the CPU throwing the long crossing route to the TE coming over the middle. I played vs Rutgers and they have a GIANT of a TE, he would work his way over the middle usually start going left, then work his way back to the right and be open or the QB would lead him to the sideline. I tried cover 2 zone, cover 3 pretty much everything. The only way I was able to have a chance was to chase him down with my MLB and try and user big hit him when he went up for the pass. The CPU would throw it to him even if he was double covered, a good majority of the time he'd still come down with it.

gigemaggs99
08-26-2012, 05:33 PM
double post...not sure why.

Seminolespear83
09-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Sneaky lil trick I tried the other day, had a guy with his set 5 plays and would audible between them. Only one that would give me trouble was the screen play. Tried everything but he always seemed to get outside, so I switched to a 4-3 cover 3 zone and would crash LB's to whatever side they favor and I would audible the outside LB to contain. In contain they won't chase the QB but they'll stay in the passing lane of the screen and strangely the pulling blockers didnt even react and left him unblocked and i coould react to the screen pass faster, also it usually confuses the other player just long enough to get sack or throw on the run for an easy piksix!

IamCzar
09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I use put my Ends in QB Contain and shut it down 90% of the time. Usually the ends flare out and sit, once the oline starts moving the end to that side will try to hold the edge and then come up once the ball has been thrown. I rarely get beat on screens and have gotten a few D-End picks as well.