PDA

View Full Version : WHY DO 3rd string players play just as good as starters?

punter
08-19-2012, 04:18 AM
I just played a game on all madden and started my 3rd string qb -rb- and bottom 3 WR
why could I not tell that my starters where not in the game?
When I bench my key players shouldn't I be able to notice there not in the game?
If I benched all my starters in NCAA i would get killed!!!
So I guess if I start a franchise in madden I can sign anyone and not have to pay big money for top ranked players, because players rated in the 60s and 70s are just as good as 80s and 90s? :smh:

jaymo76
08-19-2012, 06:03 PM
This in my estimation is one of the fundamental problems with EA/Tiburon football design. Backups are just as good as starters. Lose your starter and put in your backup annd he won't miss a beat. In the demo put in your 3rd string QB and watch him be just as accurate. Often I feel as though ratings are irrelevant.

rufusone
08-21-2012, 10:53 AM
This is why I think Madden and NCAA football this gen from EA has got to the point of being boring, stale, and very unimaginative. The games are just not much fun to play anymore. Let all hope the next of consoles that will be coming soon that EA sports gets on the band wagon and actually creates a game that is inventive and that gameplay, physics, weight of playes, etc all mean something.

skipwondah33
08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I just played a game on all madden and started my 3rd string qb -rb- and bottom 3 WR
why could I not tell that my starters where not in the game?
When I bench my key players shouldn't I be able to notice there not in the game?
If I benched all my starters in NCAA i would get killed!!!
So I guess if I start a franchise in madden I can sign anyone and not have to pay big money for top ranked players, because players rated in the 60s and 70s are just as good as 80s and 90s? :smh:Probably won't tell against the CPU although I'd disagree with that.

All depends on who you are playing. The difference in NCAA is just that different. For example LSU's backups are far better than say Texas State's backups...hell they are much better than their starters. That is a different game. Whereas though certain teams aren't that good in the NFL/Madden they are still talented. Take for example the Raiders. They have speed and their players have solid skill sets which enable them to be good. Just because their rating isn't high doesn't mean they are not good. They may have speed, low awareness and above average man coverage rating. Since a User is mostly in control of a given player and plays that put the players in the best position to succeed some ratings don't actually matter as much.

I could make a 3rd string QB look like a 3rd string QB from a Defensive standpoint. Also running plays and routes to that QB's strength I could also make a 3rd string QB look like a starter. Given that you are a User in control of that/those low rated players...at times the players will reflect their ratings by trying to do something they are not good at...i.e QB's deep throw accuracy, WR's catch ability. Then at other times you as a User can kind of dictate what that player can do and if you can get him to perform outside of his ratings.

For example I am the Jets in one of my LD Leagues. I discovered Rickey Sapp just before the season and tinkered with subbing him in the Dime (LB Rush package). He's very low rated, low awareness, etc. But he as 90+ acceleration and 88+ speed to go with a 88+ finesse move rating..and decent block shed rating. If and when I use him correctly he is able to take advantage of those ratings and not his low overall rating. He was 2nd on my team in sacks with 10...Aaron Maybin a 2nd/3rd stringer led my team and tied for the league lead with 12 sacks. His overall rating isn't the highest but he has nice attributes in the areas that are effective for rushing the passer...plus given my scheme with using him.

jaymo76
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Probably won't tell against the CPU although I'd disagree with that.

All depends on who you are playing. The difference in NCAA is just that different. For example LSU's backups are far better than say Texas State's backups...hell they are much better than their starters. That is a different game. Whereas though certain teams aren't that good in the NFL/Madden they are still talented. Take for example the Raiders. They have speed and their players have solid skill sets which enable them to be good. Just because their rating isn't high doesn't mean they are not good. They may have speed, low awareness and above average man coverage rating. Since a User is mostly in control of a given player and plays that put the players in the best position to succeed some ratings don't actually matter as much.

I could make a 3rd string QB look like a 3rd string QB from a Defensive standpoint. Also running plays and routes to that QB's strength I could also make a 3rd string QB look like a starter. Given that you are a User in control of that/those low rated players...at times the players will reflect their ratings by trying to do something they are not good at...i.e QB's deep throw accuracy, WR's catch ability. Then at other times you as a User can kind of dictate what that player can do and if you can get him to perform outside of his ratings.

For example I am the Jets in one of my LD Leagues. I discovered Rickey Sapp just before the season and tinkered with subbing him in the Dime (LB Rush package). He's very low rated, low awareness, etc. But he as 90+ acceleration and 88+ speed to go with a 88+ finesse move rating..and decent block shed rating. If and when I use him correctly he is able to take advantage of those ratings and not his low overall rating. He was 2nd on my team in sacks with 0...Aaron Maybin a 2nd/3rd stringer led my team and tied for the league lead with 12 sacks. His overall rating isn't the highest but he has nice attributes in the areas that are effective for rushing the passer...plus given my scheme with using him.

I don't know Skip. When you play the cpu often rating don't matter if you are in control of the player. Back on Madden 10 I drafted a new QB. He ended up being a 62 ovr but I won the SB with him and his stats were awesome. Now I don't go deep... I do the short stuff and he excelled there. But the point is that in Madden and NCAA often it seems as though ratings for players you control do not matter MOST of the time IMO.

skipwondah33
08-21-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know Skip. When you play the cpu often rating don't matter if you are in control of the player. Back on Madden 10 I drafted a new QB. He ended up being a 62 ovr but I won the SB with him and his stats were awesome. Now I don't go deep... I do the short stuff and he excelled there. But the point is that in Madden and NCAA often it seems as though ratings for players you control do not matter MOST of the time IMO.I don't play the CPU so I wouldn't really know as far as that aspect...what difficulty you play on?..you mess with any sliders? The time I played the CPU on 12 I beat them 56-3 on All-Madden difficulty in my Online franchise. They either call blitz or press blitz without any help over top.

Depends on the position. Running Back...not really, you only want maybe want a few things for the RB to have...he can absolutely suck but that doesn't mean you can't excel with him. Thing is you are in control of that player so even if he sucks you as the User can make him better. Only things you can't prevent is fumbles if he has a low carry rating. If he's a slow back...then you wouldn't take him outside much, etc.

As far as a QB. I had Rex Grossman in an online franchise league earlier this season. He absolutely is garbage and can't throw very accurately for shit. His ratings showed as I couldn't just throw 5-6 yard passes all game. I like to lead pass nearly every throw I make...that resulted in a bunch of wildly overthrown passes....no matter what you do the players ratings will matter in the long run trust me. Without messing with sliders or running the same plays over and over, you can't expect to win on the hardest difficulty especially against a user with below 70 rated players...especially at QB like the original poster said.

Now I can take a a 50 overall rated MLB and make him look like Ray Lewis when I manually control him. That is because for that particular position and my user control I only need him to have speed, agility, acceleration and hopefully catch ability. His awareness doesn't matter to me at that point because he is solely relying on my awareness...to read play action, the crossing route, run, etc. I would like him to have tackling ability because I can't control if he can make a successful tackle..that is tied to his rating and my opponent's ball carrier's ratings.

jaymo76
08-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't play the CPU so I wouldn't really know as far as that aspect...what difficulty you play on?..you mess with any sliders? The time I played the CPU on 12 I beat them 56-3 on All-Madden difficulty in my Online franchise. They either call blitz or press blitz without any help over top.

Depends on the position. Running Back...not really, you only want maybe want a few things for the RB to have...he can absolutely suck but that doesn't mean you can't excel with him. Thing is you are in control of that player so even if he sucks you as the User can make him better. Only things you can't prevent is fumbles if he has a low carry rating. If he's a slow back...then you wouldn't take him outside much, etc.

As far as a QB. I had Rex Grossman in an online franchise league earlier this season. He absolutely is garbage and can't throw very accurately for shit. His ratings showed as I couldn't just throw 5-6 yard passes all game. I like to lead pass nearly every throw I make...that resulted in a bunch of wildly overthrown passes....no matter what you do the players ratings will matter in the long run trust me. Without messing with sliders or running the same plays over and over, you can't expect to win on the hardest difficulty especially against a user with below 70 rated players...especially at QB like the original poster said.

Now I can take a a 50 overall rated MLB and make him look like Ray Lewis when I manually control him. That is because for that particular position and my user control I only need him to have speed, agility, acceleration and hopefully catch ability. His awareness doesn't matter to me at that point because he is solely relying on my awareness...to read play action, the crossing route, run, etc. I would like him to have tackling ability because I can't control if he can make a successful tackle..that is tied to his rating and my opponent's ball carrier's ratings.

I just played the Madden demo... I play on ALL PRO (and in the regular version I do adjust sliders). For the demo I dropped HUM CPU to 35. I just played as the 49ers and beat NYG 28-7. I played as 3rd stringer Josh Johnson and was 18-24 for 2td, 1 int and 194 yards passing. Johnson is a 70 ovr. In the retail I would surely change sliders more BUT a 70 ovr QB versus the Giants D should be dismantled IMO.

skipwondah33
08-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Dont mess with the sliders and he will be destroyed I promise you...on All-Madden.

Again you can certainly have success with lower rates players...don't change the way you play and play like you would Aaron Rodgers and you'll see the difference...throw every route.

Guys have to expect a different outcome if you are adjusting different
sliders. Might as well play on a lower difficulty because it's not the same difficulty after you adjust.

I haven't played in All-Pro since my last "official" ranked game 4-5 versions ago

ram29jackson
08-27-2012, 05:29 PM
ratings do matter in the game..especially if you play sraight sim style.

but its still just a game and no one wants a season blown because a back up QB is in. Thats not fun. No game will ever be that realistic. It wont sell.

example= everyone will start Tebow in their games, not Sanchez

SmoothPancakes
08-27-2012, 06:42 PM
ratings do matter in the game..especially if you play sraight sim style.

but its still just a game and no one wants a season blown because a back up QB is in. Thats not fun. No game will ever be that realistic. It wont sell.

example= everyone will start Tebow in their games, not Sanchez

What's wrong with that? Sanchez blows.

ram29jackson
08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
What's wrong with that? Sanchez blows.

but his throwing accuracy should still be waaay better then Tebow's LOL