PDA

View Full Version : Post-Patch #2: No Huddle Problem

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 12:41 PM
As most of you are aware, you've noticed the QB and WR's doing odd things when you're engaged in a no-huddle offense. I have just got confirmation from the devs that this is intentional.

This was done intentionally to fix the no huddle glitches that guys were running where they'd wait until they got to the line to pick their play and snap right away so the defense couldn't do anything. It should only be delaying it for 2-3 seconds.

It’s to fix a much bigger problem with people online.

I've relayed to the team that it's delaying for more than 2-3 seconds and they are looking into that, as it seems like it is more like 7-8 seconds. Do you guys agree that it seems to be taking that long? Anyone able to test this right now for an exact estimate?

I'm looking into seeing if this delay can be tuned or if it has to be patched.

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 12:47 PM
As most of you are aware, you've noticed the QB and WR's doing odd things when you're engaged in a no-huddle offense. I have just got confirmation from the devs that this is intentional.

I've relayed to the team that it's delaying for more than 2-3 seconds and they are looking into that, as it seems like it is more like 7-8 seconds. Do you guys agree that it seems to be taking that long? Anyone able to test this right now for an exact estimate?

Last night I ran no huddle on 4 plays in SBCOL with MTSU against Razorback and UNM. Each time it took 6, 7, 7, 8 for me to be able to snap the ball.

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Also thanks for sending that to the team. I have no problem with it being in there, but I should always be able to snap the ball with 1 second coming off the clock and I should also be able to snap the ball with a shorter amount of time coming off the clock as well.

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Okay, then I wasn't that far off on my initial e-mail I fired off.

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Okay, then I wasn't that far off on my initial e-mail I fired off.

I had a good time to try it out against a user last night so I figured I'd mark a few down in hopes to get a good base to share shortly. I was trying to get into FG position with 48 seconds left and 3 timeouts with the ball at my 25yd line. But trying to run the hurry up cost me that chance really because I was just losing way to much time and I couldn't afford to burn my last time out up figuring I'd need that to stop the clock quickly. I ended up trying to force the ball down the field at his 48yd line and threw a pick with 5 seconds left to go in the game.

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
It definitely didn't feel like 2-3 when I noticed it right off the bat.

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Sounds like this will need to be patched rather than fixed through tuning.

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Sounds like this will need to be patched rather than fixed through tuning.

ouch that hurts

MrToo Brand New
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
I love the way the no huddle is now. People no longer can no huddle then quick snap me before I am able to set up my defense.

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I love the way the no huddle is now. People no longer can no huddle then quick snap me before I am able to set up my defense.

Yeah I don't hate it, it is a "tad" long though right now. It could be shortened up a little more and be perfect.

Deuce
08-17-2012, 02:35 PM
It is more realistic...I will say that. I can get used to it. If people are trying to run a true hurry up they need to start spiking the ball instead of running a play everytime.

ram29jackson
08-17-2012, 03:10 PM
this is cool

CLW
08-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah its definitely longer than 2-3 seconds. I didn't have my stop watch out but I think the other reports above are consistent with my experience as well. I mean really does anyone think :Duke:'s crowd gets loud enough to bother ANYONE'S no huddle. This is football not the Cameron Crazies!

EDJ
08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
It is more realistic...I will say that. I can get used to it. If people are trying to run a true hurry up they need to start spiking the ball instead of running a play everytime.
Very true. I'm guilty of this too. I think in the last 3 years of video game leagues I've come across one guy who used the spike ball feature.

I've always used a personal rule that if I run no huddle, I give my opponent until about 20 seconds are left on the play clock before I'll snap the ball. And I'll only call plays that let's me keep a legitimate personnel on the field, no going 5 wide and calling an audible to move them in the backfield.

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 08:00 PM
I love it to, not complaining at all, but allow me to spike the ball faster. I shouldn't have to wait on that play.

Deuce
08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I love it to, not complaining at all, but allow me to spike the ball faster. I shouldn't have to wait on that play.

Yes, for sure. If you have to wait to spike the ball that's a problem.

JeffHCross
08-17-2012, 08:06 PM
It definitely didn't feel like 2-3 when I noticed it right off the bat.I think the 2-3 intentional seconds is probably the QB motioning and acting like he's calling an audible. What I don't think is intentional is the WR or HB being "unable to hear", even for the home team. I think that's what puts it up in the 6/7/8 second range.

I love it to, not complaining at all, but allow me to spike the ball faster. I shouldn't have to wait on that play.Agreed. And it is unfortunate that it will impact the 2-minute offense too, but I can understand the logic being used to stop abuse online.

psuexv
08-17-2012, 08:55 PM
I think the 2-3 intentional seconds is probably the QB motioning and acting like he's calling an audible. What I don't think is intentional is the WR or HB being "unable to hear", even for the home team. I think that's what puts it up in the 6/7/8 second range.

Exactly Jeff. No problem with QB coming up and "calling the play" i.e. the hand motions. It's the WR or HB trying to hear the play that's the issue.

gigemaggs99
08-18-2012, 07:39 AM

I agree 100%. Last year I was watching Houston play and the announcers where making a BIG deal about how fast they play their no-huddle style of Air Raid. Similar to showing a stop watch on screen to show "hang-time" of a punt they put a stop watch on the screen to show you how fast Houston snapped the ball from the last whistle of the previous play.

They were saying Houston is one of the fastest and they would usually take 12-15 seconds.

So this 2-3 seconds people are wanting just isn't realistic. Like others have said if you really want to play like that spike the ball. In most no-huddle system they'll sprint to the LOS and then the QB will read the Def and make changes, he doesn't "normally" just sprint to the LOS and snap the ball, they usually motion or signal the plays to the other players, or the entire team "sits up" and looks over at the side-line.

I like the way that it is. I've also noticed since the 2nd patch the CPU hasn't run no-huddle and my Def is caught offsides, it's like my Def gets past the LOS faster, which is NICE. Prior to the patch the CPU would hike the ball so fast I'd get offsides, yet I wasn't able to hike the ball until the CPU had it's players onsides...

jwallace0317
08-18-2012, 12:37 PM
If the "can't hear the QB" aspect of the no-huddle glitch fix was intentional, then they'll need to patch it again because you can get around that delay by resetting your playcall (square then L2 on PS3) just as your guys are finished setting (the "no hear" players will literally snap into place when you press reset play, and you can then hike the ball).

The whining about how the "old" no-huddle was unrealistic is kind of ridiculous, and stems from guys just being wimps about having to defend against it (no huddle IS a pain in the ass to defend, just like it is in real life). Players in real life no huddle up tempo offenses are taught to look for the next playcall the second the previous play is over...at the same time that they're hustling back to the LOS. They don't run back to the LOS, get set, and THEN look for the playcall. The whole point of the system is to get your ass back to the line and quickly snap the ball, with the only delays coming from when the coordinator decides to add a tag or other adjustment to the playcall. This isn't even subjective: just pull whole game footage of Oklahoma or Oregon from the last few years and watch the extremely short length of time between when the players first get set and when the ball is snapped.

PeteyKirch
08-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I will say it's a bit annoying though that the CPU can run the no huddle with next to no delay, while the User is held back with the random position players checking back to the QB.

JeffHCross
08-18-2012, 06:33 PM
This isn't even subjective: just pull whole game footage of Oklahoma or Oregon from the last few years and watch the extremely short length of time between when the players first get set and when the ball is snapped.Agree to disagree. While both schools often run quickly, they do take time to get set. The only times I can think of where I've seen Oregon snap immediately is when it was the same play or a PA off the previous play.

baseballplyrmvp
08-18-2012, 06:39 PM
i havent played a game after the second patch yet, but i'll disagree with the intentions of the change. while i support any change to hamper a cheeser's ability to exploit some parts of the game, i'm flat out against anything that ea tries to force us to do offline against the cpu.

against the cpu, let me play the game however the hell i want to, whether its chewing the clock down to 1 second in the first quarter or trying to get a 9 play drive off in under a minute. much like my cutscene mini rants in other threads, i'm tired of having ea trying to force me to play the game certain way especially when i'm playing the game by myself. against another human opponent, they can do whatever, but leave the cheeser restrictions to online play.

JeffHCross
08-18-2012, 08:35 PM
MVP, I agree with you from a theoretical perspective, but the code to change the behavior based on whether you're playing vs CPU or vs HUM may not exist, and would not be easy to add in.

If the change was only 2-3 seconds, as it sounds like was planned, I don't think you'd even notice, honestly. I called Hurry Up a couple times, and didn't really notice the change until my HB/WR started listening for the call.

souljahbill
08-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Just noticed that there's a long delay before you can spike the ball also.

baseballplyrmvp
08-18-2012, 09:46 PM
MVP, I agree with you from a theoretical perspective, but the code to change the behavior based on whether you're playing vs CPU or vs HUM may not exist, and would not be easy to add in.

If the change was only 2-3 seconds, as it sounds like was planned, I don't think you'd even notice, honestly. I called Hurry Up a couple times, and didn't really notice the change until my HB/WR started listening for the call.

what if it was just limited to only one mode, instead of human vs cpu? ie: only online gets the no huddle changes, whereas in every other mode the no huddle works as it has in previous years (as fast as you want to go).

JeffHCross
08-18-2012, 10:27 PM
what if it was just limited to only one mode, instead of human vs cpu? ie: only online gets the no huddle changes, whereas in every other mode the no huddle works as it has in previous years (as fast as you want to go).Well, that might already exist. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I noticed that if I do hurry-up in Heisman Challenge (I'm the RB, so that might be the difference), I don't have the requirement to take the time.

But if that's just a coincidence and such code (to check the mode in the middle of gameplay) doesn't already exist ... wouldn't be easy to add.

baseballplyrmvp
08-18-2012, 11:52 PM
i just hate how all of these time requirements take away from the flow of the game. the hurry up delay combined with the 5 second run-off of a forced cutscene absolutely kills the feel of trying to "go fast" with your offense. its terrible. there's basically no point in playing as a hurry up team against the cpu anymore.

JeffHCross
08-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Agreed on the cutscene. Very much so agreed (plus the cutscene throws the timing of the HOLD :ps3tri: TO NO-HUDDLE off, and sometimes I've missed it because of it. Though it seems to be more forgiving this year.

jaymo76
08-19-2012, 01:15 AM
i just hate how all of these time requirements take away from the flow of the game. the hurry up delay combined with the 5 second run-off of a forced cutscene absolutely kills the feel of trying to "go fast" with your offense. its terrible. there's basically no point in playing as a hurry up team against the cpu anymore.

:+1: This is really starting to get on my nerves.

psuexv
08-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree 100%. Last year I was watching Houston play and the announcers where making a BIG deal about how fast they play their no-huddle style of Air Raid. Similar to showing a stop watch on screen to show "hang-time" of a punt they put a stop watch on the screen to show you how fast Houston snapped the ball from the last whistle of the previous play.

They were saying Houston is one of the fastest and they would usually take 12-15 seconds.

So this 2-3 seconds people are wanting just isn't realistic. Like others have said if you really want to play like that spike the ball. In most no-huddle system they'll sprint to the LOS and then the QB will read the Def and make changes, he doesn't "normally" just sprint to the LOS and snap the ball, they usually motion or signal the plays to the other players, or the entire team "sits up" and looks over at the side-line.

Sort of agree with this Gus but NCAA in no way is even close to real life in the terms of time it takes in between snaps. You mention Houston and 12-15 seconds. I can go into the playcalling screen sort through some plays and still walk to the line and snap before with 20 seconds on the playclock, so about 15 seconds. And that's with the game running off time when you switch to the playcalling screen. So it's basically like you are running a no-huddle. In a traditional real life offense you are snapping the ball around 5 seconds all the time. That hardly ever happens in NCAA.

The other main difference is in real life they are playing way longer quarters. Most people here are probably playing 5,6 or 7 minute quarters so running that amount of time off of the clock isn't feasible.

So if you take all of that into consideration this really is a big problem. I typically don't run no-huddle unless it's late and I'm behind. But it's completely frustrating that I can't get a 1st down, run to the line and hike the ball before the clock starts like so many teams are able to do in real life.

I'm completely fine with the hand signals but the players trying to hear the call is ridiculous.

gigemaggs99
08-20-2012, 08:57 AM
I wonder if it had to do with the teams we're using or the places we're playing. I played last night in my Online Dynasty vs my buddy. I am Kent St and we were AT Buffalo (my buddy). I was able to run no-huddle a few plays and my QB walked right up the LOS and I was able to snap the ball without any problems. My QB didn't do that hand gestures and my WRs didn't do the motions like they couldn't hear or didn't know what the play call was. Everyone acted normal and I was able to hike the ball as soon as I got behind the center.

Not sure why it worked fine for me, maybe it's b/c the crowd at Buffalo is quiet, who knows but it worked fine for me.

On a side note, I went to Kyle Field Saturday morning for the Usher orientation for the new season, got our hats, shirts, name badges, etc....anyways, after the meeting was over the team came out and they had a scrimmage. So I stayed and watched them for about a 1/2 hour. They are atleast practicing the no-huddle hurry-up, it was pretty wild to see. As soon as the play was whistled dead everyone was sprinting to the the LOS. This of course meant they were throwing short quick passes as the WRs didn't have time to get down field. But EVERYONE was sprinting all over the place. If they play like this in the a normal game....well I'm hoping we have great conditioning b/c they were playing VERY fast.

Recently named starter Johnny Manziel looked very good against the first team D, of course our D is the big question mark for the new season. Trey Williams is going to be a beast. He's a true freshman, VERY FAST and he was making cuts and jukes that were making the small crowd there gasp. It was cool to see.

So back to the topic, I of course didn't have a stop watch going to clock it, but even with the entire time sprinting all over the field they weren't able to hike the ball within 2-3 seconds of the end of the previous play. It took them that long to get to the LOS if not more. So I don't see how people can complain that NCAA 13 won't let you run no-huddle and hike the ball within 2-3 seconds of the previous play ending.

Most teams that run a psycho no-huddle hurry style still look over to the sideline for checks and the QB usually signals adjustments at the LOS. There are very few teams that sprint to the LOS hike the ball, then repeat over and over all the way down the field. If they do, they aren't calling very many plays therefore I don't see how they can do it the entire game, maybe within the last few mins of a half, but not the entire game.

Most quick paced teams, i.e. Oregon will check w/ the sideline after they line up, then signal the play in. So I don't see a big problem with how NCAA 13 does this.

Just my 2 cents.

JeffHCross
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
So it's basically like you are running a no-huddle. In a traditional real life offense you are snapping the ball around 5 seconds all the time. That hardly ever happens in NCAA.Watch the clock next time you're in the play call screen. It's not real-time at all.

Most teams that run a psycho no-huddle hurry style still look over to the sideline for checks and the QB usually signals adjustments at the LOS. There are very few teams that sprint to the LOS hike the ball, then repeat over and over all the way down the field. If they do, they aren't calling very many plays therefore I don't see how they can do it the entire game, maybe within the last few mins of a half, but not the entire game.

Most quick paced teams, i.e. Oregon will check w/ the sideline after they line up, then signal the play in. So I don't see a big problem with how NCAA 13 does this.

Just my 2 cents.Agreed. (also, yay for Yell Practice!) For my money, the problem I have is the "I can't hear you" -- especially in the 2 minute offense at home.

Vinny Pizza
08-22-2012, 02:23 PM
If the "can't hear the QB" aspect of the no-huddle glitch fix was intentional, then they'll need to patch it again because you can get around that delay by resetting your playcall (square then L2 on PS3) just as your guys are finished setting (the "no hear" players will literally snap into place when you press reset play, and you can then hike the ball).

Thanks for the tip, i only play offline and the computer has no issue picking a play in that short of time. The delay now is just way too long and playing as UMass, the stadium will never get that loud! Also, there are occasions where you can run the no huddle and quick snap to catch a lazy defender offsides in real life, that is totally impossible with the new logic they patched in.

xMrHitStickx904
08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
For no huddle, I just hold http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/images/smilies/ps2_tri.gif and while my players come to the line, I call a play, reset it, make my adjustments & I can snap it in about 2 seconds.

Jayrah
08-24-2012, 03:59 AM
For no huddle, I just hold :ps3tri: and while my players come to the line, I call a play, reset it, make my adjustments & I can snap it in about 2 seconds.
This. Just quickly audible to "original play" and you're off and running. It's a bit annoying but speeds things up tremendously.

souljahbill
08-24-2012, 01:07 PM
What button combo is reset play?

psuexv
08-24-2012, 01:17 PM
What button combo is reset play?

up down up down left right left right a b a b select start.

JeffHCross
08-24-2012, 04:29 PM
What button combo is reset play?Call an audible and hit :ps3L2: / :360lt:.

up down up down left right left right a b a b select start.:fp:

souljahbill
08-25-2012, 12:46 PM
up down up down left right left right a b a b select start.

Wasn't it:

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, (Select) Start?

JeffHCross
08-25-2012, 01:27 PM
'Twas. See here (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?5739-The-Beloit-College-Mindset-List-for-the-The-Class-of-2016&p=162873&highlight=#post162873).