PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 European Football Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

steelerfan
08-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Use this thread to discuss the upcoming European Football season.

I mainly follow the English Premier League, but I know there's not alot of interest here so I figured I'd start this thread to include all of Europe including the Champions League and the Europa League.

Feel free to discuss La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, or any European League here as well.

Obviously, I would like to draw more of you into following the sport so if you have questions (I don't have all the answers) feel free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
I'll start by talking about tomorrow's FA Community Shield match which features Chelsea (Go Blues!) and Manchester City (7:30 AM Central, Fox Soccer).

For those who don't know the Football Association, or "FA" is the governing body of football in England. The season kicks off annually with the Community Shield. This is one match (tomorrow's match is at Villa Park) between the previous season's Premier League winners (Manchester City) and the previous season's FA Cup winners (Chelsea).

If the league champions also win the FA Cup, the league runners-up play them in the Community Shield.

We'll discuss the FA Cup, and what it is, later this year when the matches for it get underway.

Anyone else waking up early to watch this tomorrow?

JeffHCross
08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Football? What is this?

( I kid )

SmoothPancakes
08-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure if I'll be awake to watch the match, but I'm looking forward to the action getting started back up. While MLS is fun to watch, it doesn't compare to European football. Thanks to getting Fox Soccer Channel now, and with Streak for the Cash on ESPN, I've been watching and following a lot of Bundesliga, La Liga, and EPL since the beginning of the year. I haven't really found a team in EPL to follow and become a "fan" of, but working on it. Maybe this year a team will catch my eye.

steelerfan
08-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Well, City took the Shield beating Chelsea, 3-2. Chelsea was down a man for most of the match as Ivanovich was sent off just before halftime with Chelsea leading, 1-0.

In the first 20 minutes of the second half, the Citizens netted 3 goals over a 12 minute stretch to gain a 3-1 advantage. For a bit there, I thought it might end up 5-1, but the Blues held in and pulled within 1 with 10 minutes to play.

Not a bad showing from Chelsea, all things considered. City is going to be tough again this year. They are loaded with talent and I wouldn't be surprised if they win the league title again this season.

CLW
08-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Saw where Man U went public. Not really sure why anyone would invest in a professional sports team (unless there was a nice dividend on the stock) but to each their own.

steelerfan
08-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Saw where Man U went public. Not really sure why anyone would invest in a professional sports team (unless there was a nice dividend on the stock) but to each their own.

United claim to have 660 million supporters worldwide, therefore it's an easy sale (I'm sure most are buying shares as a novelty, not an investment). The funny thing is that many of the supporters are pissed because, initially, the money was going to pay down their massive debt (£423 M). However, it was later revealed that half the money would go into the Glazer's pockets.

SmoothPancakes
08-12-2012, 01:38 PM
United claim to have 660 million supporters worldwide, therefore it's an easy sale (I'm sure most are buying shares as a novelty, not an investment). The funny thing is that many of the supporters are pissed because, initially, the money was going to pay down their massive debt (£423 M). However, it was later revealed that half the money would go into the Glazer's pockets.

People are actually surprised by that? So many owners these days of sports teams care more about more money being put into their pockets than other things related to the team.

steelerfan
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
People are actually surprised by that? So many owners these days of sports teams care more about more money being put into their pockets than other things related to the team.

Surprised? No. Pissed? Yes.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/164270.html

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/story/epl-sky-angry-manchester-united-fans-lament-glazer-family-plan-to-foat-on-stock-exchange-073112?m_n=true

SmoothPancakes
08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I was gonna say. :D After seeing it happen with so many owners across so many sports, it's not even a slight surprise that one would still do that.

steelerfan
08-12-2012, 08:24 PM
:D

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTR68LEzXUQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JBHuskers
08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm going to change the title of this thread to soccer :D ;)

steelerfan
08-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm going to change the title of this thread to soccer :D ;)

Then you'll need to change the FIFA threads to "FISA". :down:

jaymo76
08-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately I don't get Sportsnet World or Setana Sports... both of which carry a large number of European football games (the channels cost too much $$$) and in Canada we don't get Fox Sports/NBC Sports/ESPN, etc so I will have to rely on you guys to keep me up to date. Go Celtic! Go Chelsea!

steelerfan
08-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately I don't get Sportsnet World or Setana Sports... both of which carry a large number of European football games (the channels cost too much $$$) and in Canada we don't get Fox Sports/NBC Sports/ESPN, etc so I will have to rely on you guys to keep me up to date. Go Celtic! Go Chelsea!

Yeah, I need to add Fox Soccer. However, not having it gives me an excuse to go to my buddy's house to watch the Chelsea matches that are on that channel. Going to his house (and the bar in his house) is never a bad thing. :)

Go Chelsea!

steelerfan
08-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Oh, and here is my new hat. Just arrived today. :nod:

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2012, 02:58 AM
That bar is almost perfect. Just needs a much larger TV and then it would be perfect! If I ever decide to build a bar in the house, his bar is going to be my inspiration for what I do.

steelerfan
08-14-2012, 07:02 AM
That bar is almost perfect. Just needs a much larger TV and then it would be perfect! If I ever decide to build a bar in the house, his bar is going to be my inspiration for what I do.

He has a 70" set in his living room. :)

psusnoop
08-14-2012, 10:43 AM
He has a 70" set in his living room. :)

DAMN, that one would be in the bar for sure!!

JBHuskers
08-14-2012, 12:50 PM
See if your buddy will fly people in to visit his bar :D

CLW
08-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I have a 69" but no bar :smh:

JBHuskers
08-14-2012, 02:09 PM
So is ManU not at full strength, they don't care in friendlies, or what? Currently down 1-0 to Aberdeen.

steelerfan
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Arsenal has agreed to sell Robin Van Persie to Man U. RVP, of course, must agree and then come to terms with the Red Devils.

Booooooooooooooooo! :smh:

JBHuskers
08-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Must be really pissed that Man City won the title.

JBHuskers
08-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Robin van Persie could debut vs. Everton (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1135174/robin-van-persie-could-debut-vs.-everton,-says-alex-ferguson)

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said Thursday that, pending a formal agreement, Dutch striker Robin van Persie could make his debut in Monday's season opener against Everton (ESPN2, ESPNDeportes, 3 p.m. ET).

Ferguson's side confirmed Wednesday night Manchester United had agreed to a reported 20 million pound deal ($31.3 million) for the Dutch striker, who is expected to undergo a physical Thursday.

Ferguson said the Dutchman could join Wayne Rooney in a partnership comprising the two top scorers in the Premier League last season. Van Persie led the league with 30 goals with Rooney scored 27.

"They are two fantastic players and it's great to have the both of them," Ferguson told British media Wednesday. "It's great to have a player of van Persie's qualities coming into the squad. He is on his way up from London, he will have a medical later this afternoon and we hope that goes according to plan.

"His agent is in talks with David [Gill, United's CEO]. Hopefully everything will be tied up by the end of the day. I am sure he will be available for Monday's game."

Meanwhile, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said Wednesday the Gunners were left with "no choice" but to sell van Persie to Manchester United.

"He is at Manchester United, unfortunately for us. The transfer was finalized in the afternoon," Wenger said while working for French TV station TF1. "It's never great to lose players of that quality but he only had a year contract, so we do not have a choice.

"We wanted to avoid that at all cost, but we weren't able to. Honestly, I'd have preferred to sell him abroad, to PSG, for example, over Manchester United.

"They have the advantage of having played against him and knowing his great class. He's truly an exceptional player in every sense of the word.

"We have already recruited since we bought (Olivier) Giroud and (Lukas) Podolski, who originally were intended to offset the departure of van Persie," Wenger said of Arsenal's preseason moves.

There could yet be more departures from Arsenal before the end of the transfer window, with Barcelona said to be close to agreeing to a 15 million pound ($23.5 million) deal for Cameroon midfielder Alex Song, while Andrey Arshavin and Denmark forward Nicklas Bendtner could also move on.

Wenger, though, is also likely to look to use some of the extra cash generated to finalize his team, with longtime target Yann M'Vila still on the radar, as Rennes hold out for a 17 million pound (26.7 million) fee, along with Real Madrid Turkish midfielder Nuri Sahin.

Defender Laurent Koscielny told Arsenal Player: "We saw last year that we had some difficulties at the start of the season, but afterwards you saw the real team.

"You need to work together, win together and help teammates, and if [the start to] the season is good we can do something in the league. If we start well we can get into the race for the title."

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (ankle) and Theo Walcott (thigh) will be assessed after both pulled out of England's international friendly Wednesday against Italy in Berne with injuries.

Van Persie, who joined Arsenal from Feyenoord in 2004, refused to sign a new contract with Arsenal, saying he wasn't happy with the direction the club was heading.

Arsenal hasn't won a trophy since 2005 and has been unable to keep hold of its leading players in recent seasons, with midfielders Cesc Fabregas joining Barcelona and no fewer than four players having left for Premier League champion Manchester City -- Samir Nasri, Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Toure and Gael Clichy -- since 2009.

When United completes the signing of van Persie, he will join a star-studded strikeforce that already includes Rooney and Danny Welbeck, Mexico forward Javier Hernandez and former Bulgaria international Dimitar Berbatov.

Berbatov would be the player likely to make way for van Persie.

Since announcing on his personal website last month that he wouldn't be signing a new contract with Arsenal, the 29-year-old van Persie also had been linked with City and Juventus. But United had emerged in the past two weeks as the club most likely to come forward with a bid.

Information from The Associated Press and Press Association was used in this report.

psuexv
08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Everytime I see this thread this is all I can think of :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdP0JXZpbx0

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 09:40 AM

steelerfan
08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
In response to Eric...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-sP4JjnN8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:nod:

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
In response to Eric...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-sP4JjnN8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:up: :up:

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
I've still yet to adopt a favorite team. Chelsea is a good one just because of their songs. :D Man City is a possibility. Man U would make people here :smh:

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 11:51 AM
I've still yet to adopt a favorite team. Chelsea is a good one just because of their songs. :D Man City is a possibility. Man U would make people here :smh:

I haven't yet really either, maybe I should be the Man U fan! :D

JBHuskers
08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I haven't yet really either, maybe I should be the Man U fan! :D

You should ... then we can all hate you for being one.

psusnoop
08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
You should ... then we can all hate you for being one.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/haters-gonna-hate-13.jpg

steelerfan
08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Fuck United!

I couldn't see picking a club and just doing the easy thing and taking them. Kinda seems like something ram would do.

steelerfan
08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Btw, I just read that Clint Dempsey will not be in the lineup for Fulham this weekend. He is trying to force a transfer to Liverpool and the Cottagers have fined him because he is refusing to play.

SmoothPancakes
08-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Yeah, I still can't figure out or find a team to adopt and grow into being a fan of. I'm gonna have to pay close attention to the EPL this year and watch as many games with as many different squads as I can. See if I can try and find one that I like watching and following.

SmoothPancakes
08-18-2012, 04:56 AM
I will say, thank god college football hasn't started yet. It's gonna be soccer heaven today.

Arsenal vs. Sunderland live at 10am on ESPN, West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool live at 10am on Fox Soccer and Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur live at 12:30pm on Fox Soccer. Then non-live airings of West Ham United vs. Aston Villa at 2:30pm on Fox Soccer and Reading vs. Stoke City at 4:30pm on Fox Soccer.

Non-stop EPL soccer from 10am to 6:30pm, oh hell yeah.

jaymo76
08-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Great site to keep up on the EPL.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb.html

jaymo76
08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
If anyone follows the Scottish... my team of choice.... CELTIC. You just have to love the unis.

http://www.celticfc.net/team

Here's their website if you want more info. The Clydesdale Bank Premier League isn't as good as EPL but it's a unique little league on its own.

SmoothPancakes
08-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I gotta say, West Ham United might gain some interest from me as far as following on a weekly basis, mainly because their home kits are a lot like the Colorado Rapids in the MLS. West Ham's home kit is claret and blue, the Rapids home kit being burgundy and blue.

steelerfan
08-18-2012, 03:39 PM
West Ham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWW7N3fr_RM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

;)

steelerfan
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
For the record, Smooth, Aston Villa has the same color scheme as what you saw today with the Hammers. Now, the Villains lost that match to West Ham, but, if you're going to pick a club based on their kits, at least you have 2 choices. :)

JeffHCross
08-18-2012, 11:06 PM
but, if you're going to pick a club based on their kits, at least you have 2 choices. you must change your name to RamPancakes :)
Fixed.

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2012, 01:55 AM
For the record, Smooth, Aston Villa has the same color scheme as what you saw today with the Hammers. Now, the Villains lost that match to West Ham, but, if you're going to pick a club based on their kits, at least you have 2 choices. :)

Damn, I didn't know Aston Villa has the same color scheme. I might have to keep an eye on both teams then.

Fixed.

:D Nah, whoever I end up deciding to follow full time, it won't be because of the color of their kits. I was just saying that West Ham United (and now Aston Villa thanks to steeler's pointing it out), I may go out of my way to watch them when they play on TV just because their home kits resemble that of the Colorado Rapids. As the Colorado Rapids are my favorite MLS squad, while I know nothing about West Ham or Aston Villa, it at least gives me some sort of an interest in watching them play based on resemblance of their home kits.

steelerfan
08-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Chelsea off to a good start with a 2:0 win at Wigan. :up:

JBHuskers
08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Snoop, there might be room on the bandwagon for Man U now after their loss today ;)

steelerfan
08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Snoop, there might be room on the bandwagon for Man U now after their loss today ;)

Who the fuck are Man United?

JBHuskers
08-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Who the fuck are Man United?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jaymo76
08-20-2012, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=JBHuskers;161478]Snoop, there might be room on the bandwagon for Man U now after their loss today ;)[/Qed UOTE]

Everton played a decent game but for the last 30 minutes of that game, Manchester U took it to them. I still can't believe Man U. didn't score. Apparently that is only Everton's fourth victory over Man U.

steelerfan
08-21-2012, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=JBHuskers;161478]Snoop, there might be room on the bandwagon for Man U now after their loss today ;)[/Qed UOTE]

Everton played a decent game but for the last 30 minutes of that game, Manchester U took it to them. I still can't believe Man U. didn't score. Apparently that is only Everton's fourth victory over Man U.

I didn't get to see the match (damn job), but I did see City's 3-2 win over Southampton yesterday. That was a match between the previous year's league champions (City) and a team that had just been promoted as the winners of the npower Championship league.

There was a long stretch of the second half where the Saints were outplaying the Citizens and they actually had a 2-1 lead. Eventually, City pulled out a 3-2 win, but that is what makes football, football.

Look at Liverpool. They got nailed by West Brom, 3-0, this weekend. Even though there is a talent disparity between some clubs you never know what can happen in any given match and you can't take any opponent for granted at this level.

That said, I think the league title comes down to City and United again this year. I expect them both to be 10+ points clear of everyone else (that includes my Chelsea boys) and I would always rather see City win than United.

steelerfan
08-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Chelsea scored 3 times in the final 21 minutes today to overcome a 2-1 deficit against Reading at Stamford Bridge. I didn't get to watch, but I was sweating when I saw that the Royals were leading.

I'm looking forward to Chelsea hosting Newcastle on Saturday. Sounds like a good time at my favorite bar. :nod:

jaymo76
08-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Help me out here people (I'm looking at you Steeler)... what is the difference between the champions League and Europa??? I saw Hearts and Liverpool today but I'm not really sure of the Europa League.

steelerfan
08-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Basically, the Champions League features the top clubs from the different European leagues. The Europa League features the next tier, so to speak.

The EPL, for example, is allotted 4 clubs in the Champions League (4 is the maximum). The number of clubs that enter from a given league is based on UEFA coefficients that rank how each league performs in continental competitions. In short, the better that teams from your league do in these competitions, the more teams from your league will be allowed in.

Now, typically, the clubs that finish 1-4 in the EPL go to the Champions League and 5-6 play in the Europa League. However, last year, Chelsea finished 6th in the EPL but they won the CL. Winning the CL gains them automatic entry this year and pushes the 4th place club (Tottenham) down to the Europa League.

Also, Liverpool gained entry in the Europa League by being the runners-up in the FA Cup. Normally, the FA Cup winner gets in but that was Chelsea, who will be in the CL.

Additionally, after the Group Stage of the CL, the 3rd place clubs from each group, though eliminated from the CL, get dumped into the Europa League.

In August each year, the previous season's CL winner and Europa League winner play a single match in what is known as the UEFA European Super Cup. This year, that match will be next Friday between Chelsea and Atletico Madrid, who won the last Europa League.

For reference, because of licensing, here are what those competitions are called in EA's FIFA title:

Champions League - Champions Cup
Europa League - Euro League
UEFA Super Cup - Copa Europe

Also, specific to the EPL in FIFA, the FA Cup is called the FA Cup, but the Carling Cup is called the League Cup (it's name before it was sponsored) in the video game.

Hope that helps, I know it's alot to ingest.

steelerfan
08-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Chelsea beats Newcastle, 2-0 at the Bridge. Eden Hazard has been a force early in the season and looks to be a brilliant capture for Chelsea. The Blues are now 3-0-0. :up:

JBHuskers
08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Amazed by Liverpool's effort against Man City. I have a feeling they won't hold on in the last 15 though.

JBHuskers
08-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Amazed by Liverpool's effort against Man City. I have a feeling they won't hold on in the last 15 though.

2 minutes later...I'm right :D

SmoothPancakes
08-26-2012, 12:09 PM
2 minutes later...I'm right :D

They still held on to get the draw though. A hell of a match today.

steelerfan
08-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Every point that City and United drop is good with me.

steelerfan
08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm leaving work early on Friday to watch the UEFA European Super Cup and I can't fucking wait. Go Blues, bring home the silverware!

steelerfan
08-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Falcao carved Chelsea up in the first half. Very impressive, but damn. :(

JBHuskers
08-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Falcao carved Chelsea up in the first half. Very impressive, but damn. :(

Yeah my streak of 13 on Streak For The Cash is on the line :fp: should have went German league instead :D

steelerfan
08-31-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm leaving work early on Friday

This didn't exactly happen.

What did happen is, on Thursday, I left work and headed straight to the bar. When the bar closed at 2 am, a bunch of us went to that awesome bar at my buddy's house. When I finally left there, at 5 am, I went to another friend's house and passed the fuck out.

Anyway, I just got home (from work on Thursday, lol) and I never made it to work today at all. :fp: :sf:

jaymo76
09-01-2012, 11:17 AM
This didn't exactly happen.

What did happen is, on Thursday, I left work and headed straight to the bar. When the bar closed at 2 am, a bunch of us went to that awesome bar at my buddy's house. When I finally left there, at 5 am, I went to another friend's house and passed the fuck out.

Anyway, I just got home (from work on Thursday, lol) and I never made it to work today at all. :fp: :sf:

:D:sf::up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjMGdKTwxsA

jaymo76
09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
What happened with how Chelsea started their game against Madrid yesterday? 20 minutes in and down by two. Yikes.

steelerfan
09-01-2012, 03:16 PM
The English Premier League clubs spent $778 M on transfers during the July/August window. Chelsea's capture of Eden Hazard ($50.8 M) was the costliest.

SmoothPancakes
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, I don't know if Chelsea was seriously interested in or considering getting Hulk, but Zenit St. Petersburg comes in and snatches both Hulk and Alex Witsel for a combined 80 million euro ($100.7 million), just beating the deadline to have them join and play for Zenit in the CL and RPL.

steelerfan
09-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Well, I don't know if Chelsea was seriously interested in or considering getting Hulk, but Zenit St. Petersburg comes in and snatches both Hulk and Alex Witsel for a combined 80 million euro ($100.7 million), just beating the deadline to have them join and play for Zenit in the CL and RPL.

I dunno if Chelsea really took that seriously after landing Hazard, but either way - wow. Good catch for Zenit.

SmoothPancakes
09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
So, who else is getting in on the Champions League action?

http://games.espn.go.com/champions-league-pickem/en/

JBHuskers
09-06-2012, 06:20 PM
So, who else is getting in on the Champions League action?

http://games.espn.go.com/champions-league-pickem/en/

I will. It'll be like flipping a coin for me though :D

steelerfan
09-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm terrible at keeping up with this kind of stuff. With the Champions League, it is spread out over so many months, with a long break after the Group Stage, that I'm sure I will flub this up.

That said, I will take a look, and try to keep up. :)

SmoothPancakes
09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm terrible at keeping up with this kind of stuff. With the Champions League, it is spread out over so many months, with a long break after the Group Stage, that I'm sure I will flub this up.

That said, I will take a look, and try to keep up. :)

Yeah, that's gonna be the problem for me. :D Round 1 isn't even until September 18th, round 2 not until October 2nd. I'll have to try to remember to get my picks in. I set it to send me a weekly reminder, so hopefully that will do the trick.

steelerfan
09-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah. We're going to have to remind each other here. :nod:

JBHuskers
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Speaking of which. I better get signed up now while I'm thinking of it.

JBHuskers
09-06-2012, 10:14 PM
So did someone create a group?

SmoothPancakes
09-06-2012, 10:55 PM
So did someone create a group?

I didn't. I didn't know if anyone else was going to join or want to join when I made that post. I knew steeler would probably be interested, but I didn't know if anyone would join and play it.

JBHuskers
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I'll make one.

TGT Futbol Group

pw: tgt13

steelerfan
09-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Futbol

:fp:

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2012, 12:04 AM
:fp:

JBHuskers
09-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Almost called it futball ;)

JBHuskers
09-07-2012, 10:20 AM
File this under "giving him the business"? :D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/fistingsoccer.jpg

steelerfan
09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Chelsea took a disappointing draw at QPR today to move their record to 3-1-0. Their 10 points are still tops in the Premier League.

JBHuskers
09-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Chelsea took a disappointing draw at QPR today to move their record to 3-1-0. Their 10 points are still tops in the Premier League.

QPR with only 3 points on the season. Who the fuck is QPR? :D

steelerfan
09-15-2012, 10:40 PM
QPR with only 3 points on the season. Who the fuck is QPR? :D

Actually, 2. :fp:

JBHuskers
09-17-2012, 12:08 PM
:sf: make sure to sign up for the Futbol group. I called it the futbol group cuz you live close to the border :nod:

steelerfan
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Group Stage kicks off tomorrow, anyone who wants in needs to get on it today. :nod:

JBHuskers
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I just made my picks over lunch.

steelerfan
09-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Got my picks in for this week. :up:

steelerfan
09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
snoop is in, too.

psusnoop
09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks :sf: I forgot all about this. Looking forward to it!

steelerfan
09-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks :sf: I forgot all about this. Looking forward to it!

I sent an invite to 2 of my friends from my fantasy league. Just sent it tonight though so I'm not sure if they'll get in.

steelerfan
09-18-2012, 01:23 AM
It is Tuesday now, so it is officially Match Day. The Group Stage of the Champions League kicks off today. :))

Chelsea will begin their European title defense tomorrow against Juventus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWAM9SKUsw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVtmNhWhQWo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SmoothPancakes
09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I got my picks in last week. All set and ready to go.

JBHuskers
09-18-2012, 11:09 AM
As soccer has grown on me more and more over the past couple years...after months and months of deliberation, I have finally adopted a team.

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2207092.png

steelerfan
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
As soccer has grown on me more and more over the past couple years...after months and months of deliberation, I have finally adopted a team.

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2207092.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDluQ3CS_y8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:up: :up: :up:

JBHuskers
09-18-2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWW7N3fr_RM

SmoothPancakes
09-18-2012, 04:09 PM
6-2 so far. Got boned by Zenit St. Petersburg and AC Milan. Real Madrid saved my ass from 5-3 with a 90th minute goal against Man. City.

JBHuskers
09-18-2012, 04:15 PM
4-4 here.

psusnoop
09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
5-3 thus far

steelerfan
09-18-2012, 06:08 PM
4-4.

I guess we should have simply done what Smooth did - go with all of the public's picks. :(

SmoothPancakes
09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
4-4.

I guess we should have simply done what Smooth did - go with all of the public's picks. :(

Ha. Funny. :P

Ultimately it came out that way, but I made all of my picks two weeks ago on the day I made that post here in this thread. I had already created my entry and made all my picks before I thought to post about it on here. Though I did flip on two picks this morning. I originally went with Man City because they had the draw option but then flipped to Real Madrid due to it being at home for them. Ajax Amsterdam and Borussia Dortmund, I probably flipped back and forth three or four times this morning before putting my faith in Dortmund. Some of them, I was confident going with the straight up Win option, but for Ajax and City, going against the Win/Draw caused me pause.

I've already flipped back and forth today on Juventus-Chelsea for tomorrow. Started on Chelsea two weeks ago, changed to Juventus this morning, and am right now back on Chelsea again after changing it during the afternoon. While it's at Chelsea, Juventus is a tough squad and them having the Win/Draw is not making it an easy pick.

JBHuskers
09-18-2012, 07:44 PM
4-4.

:+1:

steelerfan
09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Countdown to kickoff...Let's Go Blues! :nod:

JBHuskers
09-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Countdown to kickoff...Let's Go Blues! :nod:

:+1:

steelerfan
09-19-2012, 03:17 PM
2-1 Chelsea, 76'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsnnZWvAMsQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JBHuskers
09-19-2012, 03:20 PM
That was an orgy of goals around the 30' mark.

SmoothPancakes
09-19-2012, 03:51 PM
And Chelsea bones me, both in CL Pickem and in Streak for the Cash, costing me my W7.

psuexv
09-19-2012, 04:02 PM
And Chelsea bones me

Not sure why this is a negative statement :dunno:

JBHuskers
09-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Not sure why this is a negative statement :dunno:

P.S. what are you doing in the soccer thread Eric? You hate soccer. Or do you?

http://gifsoup.com/view3/1226393/dramatic-hamster-o.gif

psuexv
09-19-2012, 06:05 PM

P.S. what are you doing in the soccer thread Eric? You hate soccer. Or do you?

http://gifsoup.com/view3/1226393/dramatic-hamster-o.gif

I blame Tapatalk :) just saw Smooth talking about getting it on with some chick named Chelsea so I checked it out.

Then I saw European Football and thought maybe you guys were talking about the Rams playing the Falcons in London or something.

After looking around this thread isn't for me ;)

steelerfan
09-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Eric, the Europa League Group Stage kicks off tomorrow and your club is hosting Liverpool (fuck those Scousers). For anyone who is unfamiliar with who Eric supports....

JBHuskers
09-20-2012, 01:07 AM
No one really emerged from week 1.

Smooth -10
Snoop - 9
:sf: - 8
JB - 8

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Yeah, had a good day one going 6-2, shit the bed on day two with a 4-4. :smh:

Should have stuck with my 5th gut feeling and stayed with Juventus over Chelsea instead of changing it for the 6th time.

psusnoop
09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Yeah, had a good day one going 6-2, shit the bed on day two with a 4-4. :smh:

Should have stuck with my 5th gut feeling and stayed with Juventus over Chelsea instead of changing it for the 6th time.

Yeah I didn't fair so well in day 2 either.

steelerfan
09-20-2012, 08:28 AM
We all went 4-4 on Day 2.

steelerfan
09-20-2012, 08:59 PM
JB brought this to my attention.

Fucking Iran. :fp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRTHMA-hiM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JBHuskers
09-21-2012, 08:38 AM
I wonder if this can be patched into FIFA 13 :nod: :D

JBHuskers
09-21-2012, 09:16 AM
So it wasn't quite a grenade, the blast radius would have definitely taken those people down, but still some freaky shit.

steelerfan
09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
So it wasn't quite a grenade, the blast radius would have definitely taken those people down, but still some freaky shit.

Yep.

steelerfan
09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Chelsea stays on top of the league and avoids allowing Stoke City to become the first club in Premier League history to start the season with 5 draws as the Blues take down the Potters, 1-0. Ashley Cole scored his first goal in more than 2 years in the 85th minute to earn the 3 points for Chelsea.

Phew!

Chelsea hosts Wolves on Tuesday in a Carling Cup match, before visiting Emirates Stadium next Saturday where they'll take on the Gunners.

steelerfan
09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Apparently the League Cup, formerly known as the Carling Cup (through sponsorship), is now known as the Capital One Cup.

The Capital One Cup is a knockout-style tournament that features all 92 clubs from the top 4 tiers of English Football (Premier League, Championship League, League One, and League Two). The winner earns a spot in the Third Qualifying Round of the Europa League next year. The defending champions are Liverpool (they have the most titles, with 8, in the competition's 52 year history.

I bring this up because the Third Round of the League Cup kicks off tomorrow. The Third Round introduces the Premier League clubs who are also competing in European competitions this year (Champions League or Europa League). These clubs did not compete in the first two rounds.

In recent years, the League Cup has not been taken very seriously among top flight clubs. It is quite common for these clubs to field squads of young and/or fringe players, particularly in the early rounds (as Chelsea are expected to do in tomorrow's clash with Wolves).

JBHuskers
09-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah. My first official match on FIFA 13 with Nottingham is in the Capital One Cup.

steelerfan
09-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah. My first official match on FIFA 13 with Nottingham is in the Capital One Cup.

I'll know soon enough, but is it sponsored this year in the game? Last year in FIFA 12, it was simply the "League Cup".

JBHuskers
09-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I'll know soon enough, but is it sponsored this year in the game? Last year in FIFA 12, it was simply the "League Cup".

It is sponsored.

steelerfan
09-24-2012, 09:39 PM
It is sponsored.

Nice. Thanks.

steelerfan
09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Chelsea made quick work of Wolves today, scoring 3 times in the first 17 minutes, winning 6-0 in the Third Round of the Capital One Cup. 6 different Blues scored goals, despite the club sitting some of their top players. :)

steelerfan
09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
The 4th Round of the Capital One Cup will feature a match between Chelsea and Manchester United at Stamford Bridge during the week of 10/29. That will certainly be an interesting one.

steelerfan
09-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Kicked that ARSEnal! Chelsea 2, Gunners 1. Top of the League

JBHuskers
09-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Kicked that ARSEnal! Chelsea 2, Gunners 1. Top of the League

:up:

steelerfan
09-29-2012, 01:49 PM
It's also good to see United lose to Spurs today. :)

Who the fuck are Man United? When the Blues go marching on, on, on!

steelerfan
09-30-2012, 02:45 AM
:D:D:D

steelerfan
09-30-2012, 02:49 AM
The Champions League gets going again on Tuesday. Don't forget to get your picks in.

JBHuskers
09-30-2012, 02:53 AM

Brilliant! :D

SmoothPancakes
09-30-2012, 08:17 AM
The Champions League gets going again on Tuesday. Don't forget to get your picks in.

Damn, thanks for the reminder, I completely forget.

psusnoop
09-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks :sf:, mine are done. I actually remembered to do it early :)

JBHuskers
09-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks :sf:, mine are done. I actually remembered to do it early :)

How bout them Arsenal? :D ;)

steelerfan
09-30-2012, 03:12 PM
How bout them Arsenal? :D ;)

steelerfan
10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I went 6-2 in the pick em today to get back in the race.

Must importantly, Chelsea won 4-0, scoring 3 times in an eleven minute span late in the match. :))

JBHuskers
10-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I went 6-2 in the pick em today to get back in the race.

Must importantly, Chelsea won 4-0, scoring 3 times in an eleven minute span late in the match. :))

I need to see how I did.

I'm watching the replay of the game right now :nod:

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2012, 08:53 PM
5-3 today. Spartak Moscow, Juventus and Bayern Munich all screwed me.

JBHuskers
10-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Got the same thing I've gotten every day 4-4 :D At least I'm consistent.

SmoothPancakes
10-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Another 5-3 day for me. City really fucked me over. I also got boned by Anderlecht and Schalke 04. Thankfully, FC Porto came through with a 1-0 win for some green, so that helped.

steelerfan
10-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Damn it. I know I changed my picks on Zenit and Dortmund yesterday at lunch. I must not have saved them. :(

JBHuskers
10-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Finally broke out of the .500 mold and went 6-2 on the 2nd day this week. 10-6 for the week.

steelerfan
10-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Saturday's results, including Chelsea's 4-1 win over Norwich, ensure that the Blues will be 4 points clear of any other club after 7 matches. Chelsea is off to a 6-1-0 start (19 points).

JBHuskers
10-07-2012, 02:03 AM
That was an ass whoopin' today!

steelerfan
10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm looking forward to the international break ending and the season continuing this weekend.

Chelsea has a really tough, and crucial, set of matches coming up beginning Saturday at White Hart Lane against Spurs - who are currently fifth in the league table.

On Tuesday, it's a trip to Ukraine and a Champions League match against the defending Ukrainian champions, Shakhtar Donetsk.

On the 28th, the Blues host Manchester United in a Premier League match, and on the 31st they'll host the Red Devils again, in a Capital One Cup match.

Things will be tough in stretches of November as well, but I'm just worried about these final four matches of October for now. This stretch could go a long way in shaping how this club ultimately fares in the 12-13 season.

Go Blues!

steelerfan
10-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Oh, and just to prepare for Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5_wMmtcgmA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53AWRWYSfAU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KTBFFH!

JBHuskers
10-17-2012, 08:28 AM
I'll be waking up for the Tottenham match. :nod:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
John Terry will begin serving his 4-match ban from the FA, and will not appeal it, tomorrow against Spurs.

As a reminder, the Champions League begins Match Day 3 on Tuesday so remember to get your picks in. I will try to remember to save my changes this time. :(

JBHuskers
10-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I hate 6:45am games.

steelerfan
10-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I hate 6:45am.

Fixed.

JBHuskers
10-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Fixed.

True.

Picks are in! Went against the grain on a few matchups.

JBHuskers
10-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Well, one way to get up to watch a 6:45 am match, fall asleep on the couch at 6:30 pm and don't wake up til 5:15 am :D

steelerfan
10-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Spurs 2:4 Chelsea

Top of the league! :)

JBHuskers
10-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Get your picks in. 24 hour warning.

steelerfan
10-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Less than an hour-and-a-half to kickoff in Ukraine. Keep The Blue Flag Flying High!

psusnoop
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Less than an hour-and-a-half to kickoff in Ukraine. Keep The Blue Flag Flying High!

Tough start, gotta rebound in the second half here.

Positive note, Man U spotted Braga 2-0 lead before getting one in the 26'.

JBHuskers
10-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Could have been uglier, so I think Chelsea should think they're lucky to get out with only a 2-1 loss.

steelerfan
10-23-2012, 07:06 PM
The good news is that Chelsea is still holding to second place in the Group and they have 2 of the 3 remaining matches in group play at The Bridge.

JBHuskers
10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow...Man City gets waxed 3-1.

JBHuskers
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
5-3 on the day in the pick'em to finish the week at 10-6, and I'm now in a tie with SmoothPancakes at 28. Very close though, :sf: at 25 and Snoop at 24.

psusnoop
10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah I didn't do so hot today, here or on betting those games :smh:

SmoothPancakes
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
3-5 on my second day. :fp: I got bent over today.

steelerfan
10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
United should be proud. They had Chelsea down to 9 men and still needed to go offsides to score the winner. That was a horribly officiated match.

The good news - Chelsea is still at the top of the table.

JBHuskers
10-28-2012, 03:15 PM
United should be proud. They had Chelsea down to 9 men and still needed to go offsides to score the winner. That was a horribly officiated match.

The good news - Chelsea is still at the top of the table.

Plus Infinity. That red card on Torres was bullshit enough, then the refs give Man U a goal with a 2-man advantage :fp:

steelerfan
10-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Crazy result today in the League Cup. Arsenal tops Reading, 7-5, in Extra Time. Reading led 4-0 and it went to Extra Time at 4-4.

JBHuskers
10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Crazy result today in the League Cup. Arsenal tops Reading, 7-5, in Extra Time. Reading led 4-0 and it went to Extra Time at 4-4.

Sounds like one of our league games :D

SmoothPancakes
10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm pissed off at that match. I took Arsenal to win (over Reading with Win/Draw) in 90 min. + injury time on STFC. Thanks to regulation time ending in a 4-4 draw, I got a red for the match. Stupid bastards just couldn't win in regulation, heaven forbid. :glare:

steelerfan
10-30-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm pissed off at that match. I took Arsenal to win (over Reading with Win/Draw) in 90 min. + injury time on STFC. Thanks to regulation time ending in a 4-4 draw, I got a red for the match. Stupid bastards just couldn't win in regulation, heaven forbid. :glare:

I think we all took them. At least you didn't lose money on it, right snoop? :whistle:

JBHuskers
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Me too lol

JBHuskers
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
I think we all took them. At least you didn't lose money on it, right snoop? :whistle:

steelerfan
10-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Terry, Torres, and Ivanovich are suspended. Lampard is injured. Yet, the Blues are squaring off with United right now in the League Cup.

Go Blues! KTBFFH!

steelerfan
10-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Chelsea 5:4 Manchester United ET

Kiss the League Cup goodbye, United. I hope the 2011 FA Community Shield is holding you over. That's the last silverware you fucking won.

steelerfan
11-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Chelsea has drawn to play at Leeds on December 19 in the quarterfinals of the Capital One Cup, after eliminating Manchester United in yesterday's round of 16.

steelerfan
11-03-2012, 12:02 PM
No Mata. No Terry. No Lampard. No Luiz. No win.

Swans go level in the 88th minute and draw with Chelsea, 1-1. United has, with a 2-1 result over Arsenal, moved ahead of the Blues. City is kicking off in half an hour against West Ham with the opportunity to jump Chelsea as well. :(

JBHuskers
11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
No Mata. No Terry. No Lampard. No Luiz. No win.

Swans go level in the 88th minute and draw with Chelsea, 1-1. United has, with a 2-1 result over Arsenal, moved ahead of the Blues. City is kicking off in half an hour against West Ham with the opportunity to jump Chelsea as well. :(

Sounds like a lot of my career matches lately. Giving up a late goal for 1 point instead of 3.

steelerfan
11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
The Champions League starts Match Day 4 tomorrow. Get your picks in.

steelerfan
11-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Big Champions League clash for Chelsea coming up in less than an hour. Group leaders Shakhtar Donetsk visit The Bridge a couple weeks after the Ukrainians beat Chelsea, 2-1, in Ukraine. Come on, Chelsea!

JBHuskers
11-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Big Champions League clash for Chelsea coming up in less than an hour. Group leaders Shakhtar Donetsk visit The Bridge a couple weeks after the Ukrainians beat Chelsea, 2-1, in Ukraine. Come on, Chelsea!

Torres! 6'

Also I went 5-3 yesterday. Man City, Real Madrid, and FC Porto got me. I'm now in the 95.5% percentile for the entire group :up:

And Snoop forgot to pick :fp:

JBHuskers
11-07-2012, 04:19 PM
WOO! 7-1 today, 12-4 for the round. Up to the 97.4% percentile, and ranked 892nd in the nation where a couple weeks ago I was in the 2500 range.

And Chelsea's Oscar hits a goal in the 90th minute to turn that 1 point into 3!!!

JBHuskers
11-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Chelsea now tied with Shakhtar (who they just beat today) with 7 points, and lead on goal differential 4 to 2. :up:

steelerfan
11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
WOO! 7-1 today, 12-4 for the round. Up to the 97.4% percentile, and ranked 892nd in the nation where a couple weeks ago I was in the 2500 range.

And Chelsea's Oscar hits a goal in the 90th minute to turn that 1 point into 3!!!

Actually, it was Moses who headed in the winner at 91'. I see how you confused the two though. :D

Moses:

Oscar:

JBHuskers
11-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I was close.

steelerfan
11-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I was close.

;)

psusnoop
11-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Shirts looks the same :dunno:

Also I'm ad idiot because I was so wrapped up betting these games that I completely forgot to make my picks :smh:

steelerfan
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Shirts looks the same :dunno:

Also I'm ad idiot because I was so wrapped up betting these games that I completely forgot to make my picks :smh:

Don't worry, brother. ARSE-nal is 2nd in Group B and looks good to push through to the Knockout Rounds.

For the record, I agree that you're "ad idiot". ;)

KTBFFH!

JBHuskers
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Don't worry, brother. ARSE-nal is 2nd in Group B and looks good to push through to the Knockout Rounds.

For the record, I agree that you're "ad idiot". ;)

KTBFFH!

Remember. Snoop jumped off the Arsenal ship. ALREADY. :D

steelerfan
11-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Remember. Snoop jumped off the Arsenal ship. ALREADY. :D

Yeah, now that fucker is drinking from the United penis. :rollmotherfuckineyes,bitch:

JBHuskers
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, now that fucker is drinking from the United penis. :rollmotherfuckineyes,bitch:

:D I thought it was City.

steelerfan
11-07-2012, 08:25 PM
:D I thought it was City.

You're probably right. I left work and headed to the new neighborhood (as in my new neighborhood) bar. I'm a little :sf:

Besides, I can't keep snoop's "club of the day" straight.

SmoothPancakes
11-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Talk about the tale of two days for me. 1-7 on Tuesday, 7-1 on Wednesday. :sf:

psusnoop
11-08-2012, 06:58 AM
You're probably right. I left work and headed to the new neighborhood (as in my new neighborhood) bar. I'm a little :sf:

Besides, I can't keep snoop's "club of the day" straight.

JB was telling me about the replies while we were playing FIFA last night and I couldnt' connect to TapaTalk on my phone so that's why I sent you a text :)

City is the team of the week. Though it could change :D

steelerfan
11-08-2012, 07:55 AM
JB was telling me about the replies while we were playing FIFA last night and I couldnt' connect to TapaTalk on my phone so that's why I sent you a text :)

City is the team of the week. Though it could change :D

Well, City is fucked in Europe this year. :nod:

Oh, and you didn't send me a text, brother. If it was shitty, you might want to see who you sent it to. :D

psusnoop
11-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Well, City is fucked in Europe this year. :nod:

Oh, and you didn't send me a text, brother. If it was shitty, you might want to see who you sent it to. :D

Never hit the send button :fp:

SENT now though :up:

SmoothPancakes
11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Never hit the send button :fp:

SENT now though :up:

:sf:

steelerfan
11-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I should have know better than to pick the Mercyside Scousers in SFTC today. Bastards can't even compete in Europa. :smh:

JBHuskers
11-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I should have know better than to pick the Mercyside Scousers in SFTC today. Bastards can't even compete in Europa. :smh:

What the fuck is a Scouser anyways?

steelerfan
11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
What the fuck is a Scouser anyways?

Liverpool scum. ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse

steelerfan
11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIZJE8YpQjw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

steelerfan
11-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Birmingham City fans singing their version of Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" to the Scousers. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyXGPXI8sk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

steelerfan
11-09-2012, 07:13 PM

steelerfan
11-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Another disappointing draw for Chelsea today. The 1-1 decision with Liverpool drops the Blues a point behind City and into 3rd in the table. :(

Unrelated to Europe, I'm proud of the run Houston Dynamo is putting together in the MLS Playoffs. As the 5th seed, they won the single knockout game over #4 Chicago. Then got a 2-0 win at home over KC, followed by a 1-0 road loss to eliminate the top seed. Now, today, they just won the first leg of the East Final over DC, 3-1. The second leg is next Sunday at DC.

psusnoop
11-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Another disappointing draw for Chelsea today. The 1-1 decision with Liverpool drops the Blues a point behind City and into 3rd in the table. :(

Unrelated to Europe, I'm proud of the run Houston Dynamo is putting together in the MLS Playoffs. As the 5th seed, they won the single knockout game over #4 Chicago. Then got a 2-0 win at home over KC, followed by a 1-0 road loss to eliminate the top seed. Now, today, they just won the first leg of the East Final over DC, 3-1. The second leg is next Sunday at DC.

The Dynamo are playing some of their best football right now, gotta love that :sf:

Also just to be clear you said Chelsea is 1pt behind City right? :)

steelerfan
11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
The Dynamo are playing some of their best football right now, gotta love that :sf:

Also just to be clear you said Chelsea is 1pt behind City right? :)

Yes, but the European Champions are proving, unlike City, that they can be competitive not only domestically, but on a continental stage as well.

psusnoop
11-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes, but the European Champions are proving, unlike City, that they can be competitive not only domestically, but on a continental stage as well.

:smh: and then there is that :fp:

steelerfan
11-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Unrelated to Europe, but I thought I'd share this. I'm sure you're seen that Pele was released from the hospital in Brazil where he had his surgery.

He's still the best that ever lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QEmnP48PEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

steelerfan
11-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Chelsea's run of poor form in the EPL continued today with a 2-1 loss at West Brom. The Blues have 2 Draws, and 2 losses in their last 4 league matches.

Meanwhile, I gotta tip my hat to the Baggies. With the win, they lept over Everton into 4th. If that held up, and WBA held a Champions League spot, it would be monumental for that club.

steelerfan
11-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Houston Dynamo are going back to the MLS Cup Final after today's 1-1 draw at DC. Houston wins on aggregate, 4-2.

It's been a hell of a run, and they'll likely face LA Galaxy again. Hopefully, with a different result than last year's 1-0 loss at Home Depot Center.

SmoothPancakes
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Get your picks in!

http://games.espn.go.com/champions-league-pickem/en/frontpage

steelerfan
11-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Houston Dynamo are going back to the MLS Cup Final after today's 1-1 draw at DC. Houston wins on aggregate, 4-2.

It's been a hell of a run, and they'll likely face LA Galaxy again. Hopefully, with a different result than last year's 1-0 loss at Home Depot Center.

LA Galaxy vs Houston Dynamo for the MLS Cup. Last year, the Galaxy beat Houston for the Cup. David Beckham has announced that this will be his final match for LA. Kickoff is 4:30 EST on Saturday, December 1. Come on, Houston!

psusnoop
11-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Get your picks in!

http://games.espn.go.com/champions-league-pickem/en/frontpage

I'm good to go, I planned ahead this time :up:

psusnoop
11-20-2012, 06:43 AM
LA Galaxy vs Houston Dynamo for the MLS Cup. Last year, the Galaxy beat Houston for the Cup. David Beckham has announced that this will be his final match for LA. Kickoff is 4:30 EST on Saturday, December 1. Come on, Houston!

I'll probably tune into this depending on the college games that day.

steelerfan
11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Chelsea visits Juventus today at 2:45 EST on Match Day 5 in the Group Stage of the Champions League. Today's results could go a long way in determining whether or not the Cup holders survive to the Knockout Rounds.

KTBFFH!

SmoothPancakes
11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Chelsea visits Juventus today at 2:45 EST on Match Day 5 in the Group Stage of the Champions League. Today's results could go a long way in determining whether or not the Cup holders survive to the Knockout Rounds.

KTBFFH!

And Chelsea got shellacked.

steelerfan
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
And Chelsea got shellacked.

Yep, but they still have a shot to get through. If Shakhtar beats Juve, and Chelsea wins, the Blues are through.

SmoothPancakes
11-21-2012, 05:56 AM
Yep, but they still have a shot to get through. If Shakhtar beats Juve, and Chelsea wins, the Blues are through.

Is Shakhtar god enough to beat Juve? I have no idea what Shakhtar is like and if they're good enough or not, so honest question.

psusnoop
11-21-2012, 06:35 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1234455/chelsea-fires-coach-roberto-di-matteo?cc=5901

Time for a change for the Blues?

steelerfan
11-21-2012, 06:47 AM
Is Shakhtar god enough to beat Juve? I have no idea what Shakhtar is like and if they're good enough or not, so honest question.

They are the Ukrainian Premiership Champions. They split with Chelsea and drew at Juventus already. They are leading the group with 10 points and will play Juve in Ukraine, so yes, absolutely.

steelerfan
11-21-2012, 06:48 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1234455/chelsea-fires-coach-roberto-di-matteo?cc=5901

Time for a change for the Blues?

Where Roman Abramovich is concerned, it is always time for a change at Chelsea.

steelerfan
11-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Rafa Benitez had his debut as the new boss of the Blues today and it was another draw, this time 0-0 with City, for Chelsea.

With Torres still floundering, Drogba was at The Bridge as Chelsea hopes that their request to return him to their side before the African Nations Cup is granted by FIFA. The next 2 months are going to be very interesting. Will Benitez get Torres back to the form they enjoyed together at Liverpool? Will Drogba make an appearance for Chelsea in December? Who will Chelsea target in the January window? Falcao?

Meanwhile, I still have to keep my hat tipped to West Brom. 3rd in the table, very impressive.

JBHuskers
11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Falcao would be a great get.

steelerfan
11-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Falcao would be a great get.

I think the hat trick he posted against the Blues in the European Super Cup certainly left it's mark with the club. :D

steelerfan
12-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Chelsea conceded 3 second half goals and lost to the Hammers, 3-1. Lamps being out for the last 10 matches is killing them. Rafa is out to a 0-2-1 start with the entire SW6 hating him already for his remarks when he was with the Scousers. What a mess. :(

steelerfan
12-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Again, off topic, but the MLS Cup Final is about to kickoff on ESPN.

Go Dynamo!

steelerfan
12-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Again, off topic, but the MLS Cup Final is about to kickoff on ESPN.

Go Dynamo!

LA Galaxy win again. :fp:

JBHuskers
12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Get your picks in!

steelerfan
12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
The week of January 5, Chelsea will face Southampton in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup.

psusnoop
12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Almost time for some games:)

steelerfan
12-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Almost time for some games:)

Yep. Tomorrow is Judgement Day for Chelsea. They need a win, combined with a Shakhtar win over Juventus to advance. While a win for the Blues is likely and a Shakhtar win is certainly possible, they'll have to hope that the Ukrainian side is interested enough in seeding to play for the group win and not be content with simply advancing.

Not a good spot for the Cup holders to be in, but the last month or so has been a disaster for Chelsea so it's no surprise either.

psusnoop
12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Yep. Tomorrow is Judgement Day for Chelsea. They need a win, combined with a Shakhtar win over Juventus to advance. While a win for the Blues is likely and a Shakhtar win is certainly possible, they'll have to hope that the Ukrainian side is interested enough in seeding to play for the group win and not be content with simply advancing.

Not a good spot for the Cup holders to be in, but the last month or so has been a disaster for Chelsea so it's no surprise either.

It certainly has been a trying month, but there is time to right the ship and get back to the winning ways.

steelerfan
12-04-2012, 08:26 PM
It certainly has been a trying month, but there is time to right the ship and get back to the winning ways.

The time is January when Abramovich can open the wallet and buy some help up front (Falcao). The Blues simply have no one that can finish without Drogba, Torres has been awful. Add to it that Lampard has missed 10 matches and the midfield -which was very strong early between Lamps, Hazard, and Oscar- has been a mess.

The problem there is that, after tomorrow, they may be left playing in the Europa League. If they survive in the CL tomorrow, their European campaign can be saved yet. We'll see.

Either way, they'll continue in Europe (Europa League, at worst) and they still have the Premiership, Capital One Cup, FA Cup, and the FIFA Club World Cup. Hopefully, some silverware comes from one or more of those.

Go Blues!

KTBFFH!

SmoothPancakes
12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
And that's all she wrote. Despite a 6-1 violation of Nordsjaelland, Juventus gets a 1-0 win to take the spot in the next round.

steelerfan
12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
And that's all she wrote. Despite a 6-1 violation of Nordsjaelland, Juventus gets a 1-0 win to take the spot in the next round.

Yep. Now Chelsea will enter the round of 32 in the Europa League. Time to focus domestically.

steelerfan
12-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Lionel Messi has two goals today giving him 86 in 2012. That is the most any player has scored in a calender year in history.

steelerfan
12-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Chelsea got back on track, domestically, on Saturday with a 3-1 win over the Black Cats. Torres scored a brace against Sunderland which included his first ever EPL penalty. Good to see Fernando getting things going - maybe Benitez is what he needed.

The Blues will play on Thursday in Japan against CF Monterrey (Mexico) in the FIFA Club World Cup. They will either play in the Final, or in the consolation, on Sunday pending Thursday's result. Chelsea qualified for this competition by winning last year's European Cup (Champions League). At last word, John Terry will not make the trip to Japan for fear that the 12-hour plane trip would cause swelling in his knee.

steelerfan
12-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Very happy to wake up this morning and find that Chelsea took out Monterrey, 3-1.

They'll play in the final of the FIFA Club World Cup on Sunday against Brazilian side, and South American Champions, Corinthians for the title of FIFA Club World Champions.

KTBFFH!

steelerfan
12-14-2012, 05:38 PM
My daughter only asked me for one thing for Christmas (obviously, she'll get alot more). Today, it arrived.

KTBFFH!

JBHuskers
12-14-2012, 06:29 PM

steelerfan
12-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Credit to JB for telling me to look this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrGaTV217g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

steelerfan
12-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Corinthians 1:0 Chelsea

:(

Somehow, I expected that my 4th straight night of unparalleled debauchery would end better. Fuck you, South America.

steelerfan
12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Chelsea visit Leeds United on Wednesday in the quarters of the Capital One Cup. With the Blues having lost out on 4 trophies already this season (European Super Cup, Community Shield, Champions League, and Club World Cup), it will be interesting to see what sort of lineup Rafa goes with tomorrow.

KTBFFH!

steelerfan
12-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Chelsea visit Leeds United on Wednesday in the quarters of the Capital One Cup. With the Blues having lost out on 4 trophies already this season (European Super Cup, Community Shield, Champions League, and Club World Cup), it will be interesting to see what sort of lineup Rafa goes with tomorrow.

KTBFFH!

Leeds 1:5 Chelsea

psusnoop
12-20-2012, 06:09 PM
My daughter only asked me for one thing for Christmas (obviously, she'll get alot more). Today, it arrived.

KTBFFH!

Those are great!!!!!

steelerfan
12-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Chelsea 8:0 Aston Villa

Beat down by the Blues today against the young, overmatched Villains. The win keeps Chelsea in 3rd, eleven points behind United. The Blues have a game in hand because of last weekends match with Southampton being postponed while Chelsea was in Japan. A win in that extra match could have Chelsea within 8 of the league leaders.

KTBFFH!

psusnoop
12-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Chelsea 8:0 Aston Villa

Beat down by the Blues today against the young, overmatched Villains. The win keeps Chelsea in 3rd, eleven points behind United. The Blues have a game in hand because of last weekends match with Southampton being postponed while Chelsea was in Japan. A win in that extra match could have Chelsea within 8 of the league leaders.

KTBFFH!

That was a total domination that's for sure.

Chelsea starting to play a little better, you gotta like that.

steelerfan
12-23-2012, 02:17 PM
That was a total domination that's for sure.

Chelsea starting to play a little better, you gotta like that.

Yeah. Rafa has certainly got Torres going. It's going to be very interesting to see what Chelsea does in the January window now that Torres is rolling. Supposedly, Sturridge is heading to Liverpool next month so that will definitely mean that Chelsea will be buying a Striker.

I like that Benitez has moved Luiz to the midfield. So far, it's proven good and it's helping me in my fantasy league too. :)

steelerfan
12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Norwich City 0:1 Chelsea

The Blues got the points from the Canaries today to maintain their hold on third place in the table.

Chelsea travel to Goodison Park on Sunday to face the Toffees whom the Blues hold a 2-point lead on.

KTBFFH!

steelerfan
12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Everton 1:2 Chelsea

Huge win for the Chelsea today to maintain their hold on 3rd in the Premier League table. They'll host QPR on Wednesday before visiting Southampton on Saturday to open Round 3 of the FA Cup.

JBHuskers
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Newcastle's Demba Ba is heading to Chelsea! :up:

JBHuskers
01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Took the day off today, so I actually got to see a mid-week Chelsea match, and boy did I pick a dud to watch. Chelsea loses to bottom-of-the-table QPR 1-0. Rafa didn't start his stars, and it bit him in the ass. Also Torres is probably aware that Ba is on the way, and he really didn't do anything to gain favor today. Send him to the bench.