PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check for a Roster Project geared to dynasties

renegade28
08-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I wanted to see if there was anyone interested in partnering up to work on a roster that is geared to dynasty users. I know OS has their community roster, but with no disrespect intended, it just doesn't fit my expectations. There are too many opinion-driven changes. Here's what I would like to see in a roster:

Ratings changes strictly controlled and based on the templates set forth by the game-generated players and how they progress
Re-rating true freshmen to correspond with game-generated incoming classes
Re-rating the best players based on their pro prospects
A widening of the gap between elite-level teams and the rest

To this end, I have started working on research as to what exactly the game-generated players and their progression throughout a dynasty looks like. I started using BigWY's named roster and simulated through 2017 on a online dynasty and downloaded the full roster each season. Here's the excel file (in a zip):

Roster Progression.zip (http://www.4shared.com/zip/M1zGOjvb/Roster_Progression.html)

It's contains each years' full roster, along with sheets called 1st Year, 2nd Year, 3rd Year, 4th Year, and 5th Year. These sheets show the players OVR from their respective years in order. In other words, the 1st year sheet has columns for the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 rosters listing from best to worst all players' OVR rating. You can see the average for the top game-generated true freshmen over these years is 81.6. This sheet also lists the DEFAULT rosters true freshmen under the 12 column.

Excerpt from 1st Year:

Avg

You can also see by this data how consistent the game-generated players are over the years. This is something in which I would like to see EA implement a little variation. It would be nice to have a Sammy Watkins or Jadeveon Clowney in the new recruits some years.

As to re-rating the incoming freshmen on the game (which EA tends to underrate); To try to do this as fairly as possible, I thought to use 247sports Composite rankings (http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/CompositeRankings). They use the other three the main recruit ratings services rankings along with their own to get an industry average rating for each player.

Using these rankings and the data from the above simulated seasons, we could re-rate the incoming freshmen on the default roster to closely mimic a game-generated incoming class.

247 Composite Top 2000.xlsx (http://www.4shared.com/file/_ZvZX0PZ/247_Composite_Top_2000.html)

The next thing I would like to include is a re-rating of the best players in the game to reflect their projected order as Pro prospects while still keeping in mind that some players are college superstars and don't necessarily translate to the pro game.

The final thing I have considered is the widening of the gap between the haves and the have-nots. The elite teams seem to lose too often in dynasties to low caliber teams. This makes for some unrealistic match-ups in the BCS games including the National Championship. I have seen North Texas, FIU, Arkansas State, etc having undefeated seasons.

Again, if the interest is there, It would be great to include as many people as possible in this project. Comments on the logistics of setting up responsibilities, feasibility of implementing these ideals, or just whatever your thoughts are all welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and my hope is that we can make something useful for the NCAA community and make dynasties more fun in the process.

JeffHCross
08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Renegade, this sounds like a great idea. One thing I'd encourage you to do, before diving too deep into this, is check out this thread (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?5006-Going-to-work-on-NCAA-13-Rosters-need-input) by MattUM2. I'm not sure where he's at with his rosters right now, but I know in years past he's done something similar to what you're talking about here. His approach wasn't exactly the same, but the overall idea was ... a roster that worked better year-over-year than the default.

Sadly, I agree with your assessment, both on progression and on default freshmen. Neither is where it needs to be.

I love your idea, and if you decide to go forward with it, absolutely include me. I don't have much time right now to be a grunt-work contributor, but I'd gladly help out in any way I can.