PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions & Feedback Thread

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
This thread will be open once the demo is out.

cdj
08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
The demo is now available on XBL and will be on PSN later today.

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2012, 07:28 AM
I completely forgot about this. I suppose I'll go ahead and give it a download. Absolutely no intention of buying Madden 13 anytime before summer 2013, but I'll still give the demo a try as well as the actual game through Season Ticket.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Hearing good things about the Demo.

Looking forward to getting it later this evening.

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Turrible, just turrible.

At halftime, playing as the 49ers vs. the Giants on All-Pro difficulty, I'm winning 49-0. Returned two interceptions for a TD (have picked off three passes total so far), recovered a fumble, Crabtree broke through 4 tackles (all of them while at a near stand still) on a 78 yard TD pass, had four touchdowns in the final minute and seven seconds (1 yard run, 10 yard pass (following fumble recovery), 30 yard return interception and 38 yard pass after a Giants punt).

At halftime, I have 209 yards total offense to the Giants 50.

First offensive play of the third quarter, I break a 71 yard run with Frank Gore, untouched. :fp:

I OU a Beatn
08-14-2012, 09:44 AM
I know I'm dreaming when I try to move a player around on defense only to watch him reset when I switch to another player presnap. I just KNOW I have to still be asleep and dreaming this. If this is intentional and in the final game, this will go down as the most boneheaded thing EA has done in my book. I'm in utter disbelief.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I know I'm dreaming when I try to move a player around on defense only to watch him reset when I switch to another player presnap. I just KNOW I have to still be asleep and dreaming this. If this is intentional and in the final game, this will go down as the most boneheaded thing EA has done in my book. I'm in utter disbelief.Hahaha I love it.

No more of guys moving 6-8 players around to set up their ultra Nano blitzes and super contain Spy plays with the DE lined up 15 yards away from the LOS.

Great move IMO. Nothing like seeing the guys who sell the strategy guide showing blitzes where you line the SS right over top of the LOS, then bring every LB to do the same for their blitzes to work.

Granted this is always banned in every league I've been in for the longest still nice to know they are trying to remove glitches from the game. And I do consider moving that amount of players to get ultra quick pressure is a glitch

I OU a Beatn
08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
It would be a great move if the pass rush wasn't terrible. As it is now, people are going to have all day to sit in the pocket. While the coverage in both man and zone is improved, it isn't nearly improved enough to hold up against a person who constantly has 5 or 6 seconds to throw the ball.

Looks like it's only when you move players into gaps, so you'll essentially be able to create the same effect by bringing a safety or linebacker down to the end of the line. That makes absolutely no sense.

CLW
08-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Probably not even going to bother with the demo. I'll check it out on Season Ticket but unless I am ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY I'll pass on Madden this year.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM
It would be a great move if the pass rush wasn't terrible. As it is now, people are going to have all day to sit in the pocket. While the coverage in both man and zone is improved, it isn't nearly improved enough to hold up against a person who constantly has 5 or 6 seconds to throw the ball.

Looks like it's only when you move players into gaps, so you'll essentially be able to create the same effect by bringing a safety or linebacker down to the end of the line. That makes absolutely no sense.Which is how I seen nearly everyone do it. Move 3-4 players down in the gaps literally overtop of the LOS to create Nano blitzes.

There are stock blitzes that work in Madden without moving any players and simply hot routing 1 defender to rush forward instead of an angle. Then there are other factors as how well you cover manually and the types of coverages you are calling behind your blitzes.

I concentrate on playing Defense, work at it and it is what I love to play in Madden.

Trying to cater to the types of glitches people find and the lobby ranked crowd is what is breaking this game in the first place

I OU a Beatn
08-14-2012, 11:08 AM
3 or 4? Who are you playing? :D

The most effective ones require the moving of only one or two guys into the gaps. It's only done because the blitz angles on the set plays are fucked. By moving the player into the gap and reblitzing, it's creating a much better angle which is why it works so much better. I don't see how it's a glitch. The shake blitz is a glitch.

All EA did with this was make it mildly harder to setup. You can create the exact same type of thing by bring a safety or LB down on the end of the line, reblitzing, moving a tackle over towards the center a bit and reblitzing. It creates the exact same effect so I'm really unsure as to why EA decided to remove just the ability to move linebackers and safeties in the gaps. Makes no sense.

morsdraconis
08-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Turrible, just turrible.

At halftime, playing as the 49ers vs. the Giants on All-Pro difficulty, I'm winning 49-0. Returned two interceptions for a TD (have picked off three passes total so far), recovered a fumble, Crabtree broke through 4 tackles (all of them while at a near stand still) on a 78 yard TD pass, had four touchdowns in the final minute and seven seconds (1 yard run, 10 yard pass (following fumble recovery), 30 yard return interception and 38 yard pass after a Giants punt).

At halftime, I have 209 yards total offense to the Giants 50.

First offensive play of the third quarter, I break a 71 yard run with Frank Gore, untouched. :fp:

All that and still no franchise mode worth a fuck.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
3 or 4? Who are you playing? :D

The most effective ones require the moving of only one or two guys into the gaps. It's only done because the blitz angles on the set plays are fucked. By moving the player into the gap and reblitzing, it's creating a much better angle which is why it works so much better. I don't see how it's a glitch. The shake blitz is a glitch.

All EA did with this was make it mildly harder to setup. You can create the exact same type of thing by bring a safety or LB down on the end of the line, reblitzing, moving a tackle over towards the center a bit and reblitzing. It creates the exact same effect so I'm really unsure as to why EA decided to remove just the ability to move linebackers and safeties in the gaps. Makes no sense.Oh I don't play anyone that does it. As I've said I don't play lobby or ranked games. And all the games I do play are on All-Madden and not the CPU.

Ever video I see on YouTube of guys having blitzes or the guys who create the Madden strategy guides are moving LB's into gaps, splitting out the DE's wide and bring Safeties down over top of the Tackle or Guard...or right off the DE's side over the LOS.

Again the lobby guys will always find something but its funny to hear this getting bashed like it is.

I'll tell you a simply blitz that requires not moving 1 person.

2-3-6 Odd; Spinner 3

All you do is Crash the D-line to the right. That is it. Depending on your manual coverage of the area where the blitz is coming from and the blocking assignment you will get a blitz more than likely. Of course that also depends if you haven't been showing the same blitz all game or your opponent hasn't adjusted.

I have come to realization that this game will never be able to be made for both guys who don't resort to glitches and other things that screw the AI and the guys that do all of those things.

TheShockDoctor
08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Demo is up on PSN now for those interested.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Demo is up on PSN now for those interested.+1

ram29jackson
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
i just deleted the ncaa demo and a ton of ncaa 12 and madden 11 saves before loading this demo.

I feel cleaner and fresh now.

SCClassof93
08-14-2012, 05:29 PM

And until you guys rave about a franchise mode I will continue to pass on Madden. :smh:

WolverineJay
08-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Played 2 games default All-Pro: Passing is way too easy. I'm completing 80% of my passes (17-21 RGIII, and 14-17 Alexis Smith) by just taking what the CPU is giving me. Run game ehh it sucks either there is no hole because of instant block shedding or missed blocks or every defender is blocked and I'm gone for huge gains. I can't truck someone one on one to save my life and Gore kept bumping into his blockers and falling down like a little girl from the slight contact. Infinity engine is way overdone after the play I see guys flopping and falling all over each other just to get back to the huddle exactly like you never see in real life, lol.

Might give All Madden a try but that will just exacerbate the problem I have with the run game. Ehh maybe if I lower the CPU tackling slider down to 10 Jacobs won't play like a pee wee RB going up against Suh every run.

ram29jackson
08-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Played 2 games default All-Pro: Passing is way too easy. I'm completing 80% of my passes (17-21 RGIII, and 14-17 Alexis Smith) by just taking what the CPU is giving me. Run game ehh it sucks either there is no hole because of instant block shedding or missed blocks or every defender is blocked and I'm gone for huge gains. I can't truck someone one on one to save my life and Gore kept bumping into his blockers and falling down like a little girl from the slight contact. Infinity engine is way overdone after the play I see guys flopping and falling all over each other just to get back to the huddle exactly like you never see in real life, lol.

Might give All Madden a try but that will just exacerbate the problem I have with the run game. Ehh maybe if I lower the CPU tackling slider down to 10 Jacobs won't play like a pee wee RB going up against Suh every run.

default is pro

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 07:17 PM
All Madden is the only way to play. No other difficulty matters

jaymo76
08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Downloaded the demo... and completely forgot about it. Man how times change. I will have to try this out later tonight when I get a chance.

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Yep.

And until you guys rave about a franchise mode I will continue to pass on Madden. :smh:

Same here man. I don't give a damn about Online Franchise, I don't give a damn about plain Online, I don't give a damn about Superstar, all I care about is Franchise. Until single player Franchise is the best thing since sliced bread, I'm not going to give a damn about Madden.

All Madden is the only way to play. No other difficulty matters

Yeah, I found that out this morning. Playing on All Pro was a joke. Maybe I'll give the demo another try with All Madden, but it'll depend. I just can't get any interest in Madden. I didn't even finish my one demo game this morning, I quit out after I scored another touchdown to begin the third quarter.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I found that out this morning. Playing on All Pro was a joke. Maybe I'll give the demo another try with All Madden, but it'll depend. I just can't get any interest in Madden. I didn't even finish my one demo game this morning, I quit out after I scored another touchdown to begin the third quarter.
All Madden has always been the answer. Especially playing against a user. Don't know how people play on anything else honestly.

I OU a Beatn
08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I have to say, I'm loving what I've played so far. Zone defense is much better. Man defense is about the same, but it didn't need changed. There's no route mirroring like there is in NCAA '13. Game play is so smooth...it's right on level with Madden/NCAA during the PS2 days. User catching feels really nice. User defense is much better than in NCAA '13 and is more than playable. The pass rush seems to be a good bit better, too. I've been able to get fairly consistent pressure bringing just 3 or 4 which never happened on '12.

The smoothness is what jumps out at me. If it plays that way online, I'll be happy. The Redskins have a really nice offensive playbook.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Pretty impressed so far.

Nothing like putting the ball over a trailing defender down the middle. That's swatted down last year majority of the time.

Oh and I've been tripped or knocked off balance 3 times now when running into a lineman or running over one when they have fallen.

As I say that Bradshaw for the CPU took the handoff with his Center falling ahead, then trying to get back up...while Bradshaw was running it upended him like it would if you tried to run up someone's back while getting up.

Other things worth note as well but I'll wait until I'm on the computer

I can see what everyone was talking about at E3 and online about the Physics...my goodness

Very impressed

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Ah shit these mfers snuck in the "guess a play" feature again

Damn it

New York just called a Pass play. I chose "run" on Defense and had about 6 people in the backfield for the easy sack...want blitzing either

CLW
08-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Played 1 game on all-pro and wasn't impressed at all. I saw some "odd" issues with the physics engine that didn't look natural. I also called for a fair catch on a punt and they said I muffed it but the ball was never even bobbled and the CPU just stood there so that could easily be abused. I still feel that user controlling defenders isn't very fun/responsive.

The game looks very sharp graphically.

I'll give all-madden a try but nothing just jumped out to me saying you gotta drop $60 on this game.

Rudy
08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I was only able to play two games tonight after my son's game and the 75 minute download and install. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. The Infinity engine was not as big a difference as I thought. It's subtle. It will look like a bigger change compared to NCAA because I felt their tackling system is limited. Madden 12's tackling system is better than NCAA 13 imo.

Anyways, I played with the 49ers and then with the Giants. Lost the first game and won the second on All-Pro.

Graphics and Presentation are good. I like the colour of the grass as the old textures were too unbalanced in M12. The camera is a LOT better in M13 as its much closer on running plays. The commentary is excellent. Jim Nantz is a huge upgrade and Phil Simms is really good. The two recorded their audio together and it works great. Overall the presentation is really good EXCEPT for the awful, awful, awful replay system. On pretty much every passing play they have that stupid spline replay system where they show an angle for 1.5 seconds and then keep switching. It's nothing you see on TV and brings nothing to the table. What is the point? I'd rather them focus on the WR/CB battle the whole time. Switching all over the place is just useless and I hate it in NCAA Football too. This was done much better in M12. I wish they would go back. The game seems to look more cartoony than last year. Maybe the colours are too bright not sure. The game does play smooth. Much like last year Madden 12 seems to be done better on the PS3 than NCAA 12 which seems more like a port.

The running game was fine although I still think the juke is a little too weak. I love the juke move and after it was neutered last year I was hoping the special moves would be a little better. It's not bad but I still miss my old powerful juke. I wish we had a slider for special moves to tune it the way we want. The Infinity engine shows some nice broken tackles at times but I was expected to be wowed by this engine and I saw it as subtle. I guess I was expecting more.

The passing game with the new trajectories is good. I really like the way you can time your routes. Madden also features a slower ball speed in the air and tighter/heavier player movement that lets you feel you can actually make plays on pass defense.

I wish Ask Madden was like NCAA where you could cycle through a selection of plays and not just three. Still no special teams sliders separate for human and cpu. I don't get it. It was confusing when they moved the names of the plays to the bottom from the top. Not a big deal but it threw me off initially.

Overall I think M13 will be a nice improvement over M12 other than the stupid, stupid replay angles but I was underwhelmed. I guess I need to play it more but I was hoping to be blown away. My expectations were probably too high.

skipwondah33
08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
My only gripe at the moment is the "guess a play" right now. Hated in NCAA and didnt like in Madden in past versions few years back.

I will enjoy it more than NCAA but that was expected

jaymo76
08-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Finally got in two games.

I. Seahawks (me) 0 Redskins 3 All Pro / slow
II. 49ers (me) 10 Giants 0 All Pro / slow

The Good:
1. The visuals are truly beautiful... the game looks spectacular
2. Commentators.... at this point I am surpirisingly impressed
3. The crowd noise on BIG PLAYS
4. Field textures/lighting... excellent
5. Stat overlays are really well done

The Bad:
1. running lanes/speed of the cpu LB's
2. dropped passes and receivers not looking at the ball
3. wrong commentary at the wrong time (I missed a FG and Simms said I tied up the game and it was clutch, etc.)
4. slip and slide physics... there are just a lot of weird, unnatural movements after the play ends
5. darkenss of the players on long passes... which team am I passing too???
6. cpu passing is lights out good while the RB struggles somewhat

Indifferent:
1. Infinity... overall impact is minimal
2. weight and size still don't impact movement
3. camera distance on pass plays... still not sure how I feel on it
4. game intro... neat now... will get repetitive quick

Overall, the game plays pretty much as I expected. It's Madden 12 gameplay with minimal physics for impacts on players. Now that isn't a bad thing as I actually liked Madden 12 gameplay much better than NCAA 12. Madden's gameplay has improved somewhat and it is the best gameplay of any CURRENT football game offering. It's a decent game of football but I 100% dissagree with the idea that infinity is revolutionary and game changing... it's not; at least not yet anyways. If all things were equal this would be a must buy but as I have posted several times, just too much has been removed from CCM. I will still wait for season pass to make my decision though.

Bring back:
1. custom playbooks
2. editing rosters/equipment/numbers
3. NCAA draft class imports
4. play any game on the schedule
5. change the cpu uniform during CCM

and you win me back as a loyal customer.

steelerfan
08-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Nice assessment, jaymo. I haven't played it yet, but I feel that what you've outlined is more than fair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Rudy
08-15-2012, 05:06 AM
Overall, the game plays pretty much as I expected. It's Madden 12 gameplay with minimal physics for impacts on players. Now that isn't a bad thing as I actually liked Madden 12 gameplay much better than NCAA 12. Madden's gameplay has improved somewhat and it is the best gameplay of any CURRENT football game offering. It's a decent game of football but I 100% dissagree with the idea that infinity is revolutionary and game changing... it's not; at least not yet anyways. If all things were equal this would be a must buy but as I have posted several times, just too much has been removed from CCM. I will still wait for season pass to make my decision though.

Totally agree with you Jaymo and especially about Infinity (bolded part). Infinity was a let down for me. This feels like a better Madden 12 but not the revolutionary jump that I was expecting.

I'm not taking my PS3 with me (leaving in about 10 minutes) so I will have to play more this weekend. The human running game disappointed me. I agree with you about a lack of lanes at times. It felt like I had very little outcome on running plays as things got blown up a little too much. This may be realistic in the NFL but it sucks the fun out of a video game if you don't feel you can impact an important part of the game. I need to play around with the special moves more. Still don't think the juke is good enough for guys with 95+ juke rating.

skipwondah33
08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
After playing quite a bit of games last night and capturing them to replay over here are my impressions.

First though

Madden is the dominant game I play every version the most of any of the games I own (which are exclusively sports games. I buy Tiger, Madden and typically NCAA..and COD). Still Madden dominates my game playing. I am involved with another community solely for my Madden play in (4) Leagues, numerous tourneys, PUG quarters (PUG tracking system), etc. Needless to say I've played over 700 games easily this past Madden 12 version...which we are currently finishing up 2 seasons before the next version releases.

Now from my background, on to my impressions. Played only on All-Madden difficulty.

Note: Some of these will differ/change once able to play Online. Certain aspects of the game change when playing Online.

Also when I refer to Madden 12, it was also played on strictly All-Madden against other Users Online from my Community, not the CPU or lobby games.

Positives

Infinity Engine

I definitely notice the impact it has in the Gameplay. Currently in Madden 12 and all other released prior you could take your RB run into the back of your OL with your head down..and nothing would happen other than of course you just keep running into his back at a stand still. Or when you run through a hole with a OL or defender stretched out, you simply ran through them magically without slowing down. Once you found a hole it was simply speed burst through it.

Not anymore. You can't run recklessly through the hole and get through/past OL and Defenders. I can't tell you how many times I specifically tried to run the way you can in Madden 12, only to either get knocked back, fall completely, knocked off balanced or stumble. In each case this happened. It was a beautiful thing to see because the run game last version was entirely too easy since there was no negative result when someone simply ran into their OL. Another thing is that when OL are in the process of getting up and you run into them you will flip over or off of them. I loved seeing that.

When I ran with RB's like Frank Gore and Brandon Jacobs...two relatively Big RB's and they built up steam they almost always fell forward or got the better end of the run. If multiple Defenders hit them from all different angles that changed the outcome...speaking of which I didn't notice ANY animation tackling like in the past. From previous versions a RB could be running full speed only to get completely stopped in his tracks by a Defender in pursuit. Regardless of the runner, if this happens it will be forward progress as the end result.

On one particular run Ahmad Bradshaw carried the ball through the hole and was wrapped up a few yards down field from the side....he fell back onto a defender who was on the ground....never did any part of his body hit the ground, other players thought he was down but he rolled off of the defender planted his hand on the ground and took off for the TD. This was AMAZING to see I kid you not. It all looked natural and was not animation driven. Definitely unlike anything I've seen in previous Maddens.

It effects Defense even, in Madden 12 you could also fire through a Gap grazing OL or your DL without any negative result. Now you will get tripped or knocked off your path. Love that as well. The run game will be more rewarding and more difficult at the same time.

Note: I don't pay attention to the players after the play is over on how they react. On one play I did notice that the player that was tackled waited for the players to peel off of him before he tried to get up which was pretty cool.

Throwing Trajectories

Another much needed feature that is very obvious and has an impact on Gameplay. I've been able to throw a number of passes that with just the right amount of trajectory found their targets over Defenders heads perfectly. Not every one of them were completed, if the Defender is in position and spots the ball he will make a play on it. Being able to throw every type of route now with different trajectory passes is great. You simply could not throw certain passes in Madden 12 or nearly all of the previous versions. People use to think it was due to super leaping LB's, but it was the trajectory of the ball that was low to begin with that enabled them to get a hand on the ball. You are able to throw to a RB or WR near the sideline and not put them OB giving them room to get up field or easily make the grab in bounds.

Routes

Due to the throwing Trajectories being improved, nearly all routes are available which DEFINITELY was not the case in Madden 12..or really each of the past versions. Each route I tried was there if I threw the ball on time or depending on the coverage (what play they called or if they were able to spot the ball prior). They weren't always successful but I could see that if my timing was better, I had more time or against certain coverages that the route was available. This is huge honestly. Last version there was really only a couple routes that were available to use. The others you had to hope would work at times but chances are you knew it would be swatted or just flat out picked off. Having access to every route is definitely a great thing. Same as I mentioned above. Now routes towards the sideline can work due to the Trajectories, especially ones towards the sidelines.

Another thing regarding routes. RB's and TE's have different hot routes than WR's in some instances. The Slant Out route that seemed to always be golden against Man or Zone in the past several versions has been removed. You won't be able to hot route an RB to a fade route out of the backfield either.

With that said looks like you can't throw "blind quick passes" sort of speak. Like the snap and throw variety. The ball will likely find the dirt more times than it will a WR.

Catch Animations

In Madden 12 I seen the same 2-3 animations on every catch. Didn't matter the type of route it was or if the WR was near the sideline, the same animations would be attempted. Thus far I've noticed ALOT of different ones, especially near the sideline. I was able to complete a long ball over the LB's head in with Vernon Davis caught the ball in stride beautifully. Last version you would get 99.9% of the time, the "long jump in the air" over the shoulder catch which would give time for the Defender to tackle you or knock the ball loose. Now the WR catches the ball while still on the ground over shoulder.

Defense

Things I've noticed.

- Safety play is much improved. Safeties appear to be more cognizant of their responsibilities. In Madden 12, at times they would not cover their deep half completely allowing the WR to get deeper than they were. Or routes down the middle of the field they would play more towards the sideline in Man Under 2 plays. Once they locate the ball they will try to make a play on it. Antrell Rolle ate me alive when I kept trying to throw same route and ball his way.

- Man Coverage is enhanced. Not in a way making it over powered but subtle changes that may or may not happen automatically. For example if a CB knows that he has help over top and to the inside it appears that he will play the WR on his outside shoulder. That subtle change is great. I also did not notice any Psychic coverage from any of the Defenders like in previous versions.

- Shading appears to work as well correctly this version. When I shaded a specific WR my CB acted accordingly.

- Zone Coverage seems to be solid. Again Defenders will play the ball once they locate it. A single player cannot cover 10-20 yards of their area no longer it appears, but they will carry the WR further if necessary.

- Catch animations for Defenders have also improved. In the past you would also get the same animations from Defenders trying to swat or intercept the ball. Now they are aware of the sideline when trying intercept a pass.

- Defensive Ends seem to rush upfield like they should...especially the DE's of the New York Giants. As I noted again Offline against the CPU or in general always plays differently. But it was very promising to see their rush improved.

- Man Lock is FINALLY back in the game. In the past you simply motioned a WR and could tell what coverage the Defense was in. Man if the Defender followed, Zone if he didn't and took steps back. Now the LB or CB will either switch or follow the motioned WR to where he goes while having his assignment switched without tipping this to the Offense. They could be in Man or Zone. This by far is one of the better additions as well and much needed for those of us who remember when it was in the game in the PS2 days.

- * Alignment. This is one thing I will need to investigate when I get home later as I really didn't pay too close attention to it.

Kicker Meter

Kicking has always been easy in Madden eventually once the meter is figured out and of course no lag. Going back to this meter is more natural. It will still be easy eventually but better than the button tap method. If it plays like it has Offline (which I doubt it will be that quick) it will make kicks more difficult. Hoping that the speed is based on accuracy or something

Negatives

"Guess a Play"

This is by far my biggest complaint of the game, (I've never liked it in NCAA either) The "guess a play" feature is back in the game. May be this has been in the past few versions and me just not know it but I didn't think it was since the 07-08 versions. You can either guess Run Middle, Run Right, Run Left or Pass. I absolute hate this feature and what it does to your Defense. The Offense came out in a Singleback 3 WR set. I called 2-3-6, Man Under 2 on Defense. I controlled the SS and "guessed" Run Middle. The Offense was running a pass play, I had 6 players into the backfield in an instance with Eli running for his life avoiding the easy sack.

The difference is night and day how the Defense reacts. When you use it every one of the front 7 moves faster immediately after the snap, especially the LB's. Now I will say that it wasn't always a given but nothing ever is against the CPU especially on All-Madden. They were able to have success both throwing and passing when I kept calling Run Middle (which is all I ever kept calling). Still the fact that my Defense reacted so much faster after the snap is garbage. The react like a bunch of blind pirahnas looking for blood IMO. I really really do not like this feature at all, I mean at all.

Broken Tackles

As I mentioned above some of these will change once able to play another User online. As always the case with the CPU they tend to do things that don't happen as often against Users. The CPU RB's break quite a bit of tackles. And they do it relatively quickly it seems. Some were ones they should have broke due to my angle, who it was and their momentum based on the Infinity Engine but there were quite a few that should have been one on one tackles. Bradshaw gouged me for nearly 200 yards rushing in one game as he was just unstoppable...a game in which I lost 42-14. He would break a good 1-2 tackles on most of his carries or was just tough to bring down in general. To be fair I'll say that I was just testing Defenses and wasn't really trying to play the run, but still.

Again this may change once Online. And I don't play the CPU anyway so it won't matter in that regard. But if it is something that I notice as well as others Online then it may need addressed. I guess people who play the CPU and adjust sliders will be able to limit or correct that.

Blocking on Special Teams

Specifically Punt Returns. This also could be another thing that changes when Online as again the CPU is able to play differently. I didn't notice any better blocking as from last year. I rarely had any room to work after punts as my blockers didn't do much. This may have been due to the calls I was making as far as Middle, Return Left, Return Right.

I will say that Kick Return blocking is better as I returned a kick for a TD after I found the crease and shot through. Nice to see that will be a factor again. Punt return blocking did not seem the same.

Playcall Screen

This is one of those subtle changes that I don't care for. I know I will get use to it but I don't care for it now with where the play name is.

Score Bar

Don't care for it being blue. I would have liked this to remain black like it was.

I love the overlays, just not the score bar.

Overall

Again I am impressed with the improvements in this game just off the Demo. They are very noticable from the past several versions and have and all have an impact on the game. I love the Infinity Engine and what it brings to the game. This will only get better and make the game that much more better.

This was going to be a buy for me but my feeling towards the game has improved to be more exciting. As I still play Madden 12 the improvements from it alone stand out very clear. My view of the game wasn't lessoned or changed hearing the things that don't mean anything to me like being able to Edit players ratings/equipment, CCM, Offline play, import classes, etc. My feeling was that if Gameplay was improved with things like Trajectory, Coverages, Physics, catch animations, Man-lock etc..and they all actually worked and were implemented correctly then I'd be that much more happier.

Definitely a step in the right direction for improving the game.

WolverineJay
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't like the infinity engine very much if at all. Way too many times the tackles look stupid with flailing arms, heads, and legs doing the splits. I actually started laughing at how bad the tackles look pretty much sealed the deal for me on not getting Madden until next gen when maybe wrap up tackles and realistic break tackles re-appear. I'm passing on the 2 puppets with strings running into each other wildly tackling engine this gen. I have never seen Frank Gore run into his guard at practically little speed or momentum and suddenly fall to the ground on his knees as if he was praying lol ridiculous garbage.

This engine doesn't represent any football I've played and watched. I have played 3 more games on default All-Madden and still pass for 70%, and I can't break any tackles by trucking smaller DB's one on one using Lynch, Gore, and Jacobs. The new commentary was a welcome to my ears even with the occasional repeat about my offense being boring or the defense being tired leads to mistakes. I thought the crowd noise was ok just more responsive after a big play than during it despite it being the opening kickoff I returned. I played 2 close games on All Madden and the CPU playcalling at the end of the game was awful just plain crap AI. I won 20-17 using the Niners because NY decided to call draws, dump passes to RB's, and on the final Hail Mary type play from their own 40, Eli chooses to wait until all his WR's start running back towards the line before he throws it, lol garbage. The other was 14-7 win for NY and Alex Smith and the Niners decide to call a draw play from midfield with 3 seconds left on the clock lol idiotic playcalling.

I give the gameplay in the demo a 6 (passing too easy even on All-Madden, running is all or nothing depends on if the AI decides to block or not, Special Teams is same as M12 I got one punt return TD for Ginn and 2 Td's for Leon Washington, and 1 each for Banks and Jernigan. I also nailed a 58 yard FG easily with Hauschka but he has a powerful leg. Defense ehh only thing I liked was the slightly more responsive switching and swatting or picking off of the ball in the air compared to NCAA 13.)

jaymo76
08-15-2012, 02:51 PM
WOW! cpu playcalling is pretty bad in this game IF the cpu has the lead. The Giants are up on me 20-14 with under two minutes to go. I have no time outs and on third down... with less than a minute to go they throw the ball (they are at MY 27 yard line. I pick it off and go for six. When the cpu gets the ball back they run a halfback draw as their first play??? On their last play they the cpu throws a 10 yard out and Simms tells me about how it was a good first down... okay but the game clock has hit zero. ???

I OU a Beatn
08-15-2012, 03:22 PM
+1 on the play calling screen. I hate it.

jaymo76
08-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Yup, Naantz telling me how I changed my offense/defense is getting pretty annoying. If I'm playing the cpu why don't you tell me how the cpu is changing things up??? Also, I changed the pass interfence sliders to 100 and zero PASS INTERFERENCE CALLS THUS FAR. Once again, that feature does not exist and it really should if physics exist on player interaction. Maybe it's just not in the demo but progressive lighting is not working or not working properly IMO.

skipwondah33
08-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Forgot to add in my impression write up.

My view of the game is how i see it and how it will relate to playing another User.

Judging this game solely from playing the CPU is difficult given the things the CPU does or gets away with

WolverineJay
08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Yep it is almost 2 entirely different games offline vs the CPU and Online vs another HUM. Sim User vs Sim User has been the best way to play the game for awhile.

Rudy
08-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Great write-up Skip! I didn't even realize guess a play was in Madden. Is that new this year? I won't use it but I hope the cpu won't use it much either.

I've read both yours and Wolverine Jay's complaints on the broken tackles and I think that's an All-Madden only issue. It's pretty good on default All-Pro (cpu could use a little boost imo). But I watched a video of Frank Gore running over defenders all day as the cpu on All-Madden. I think he rushed for 297 yards in a demo vid lol. I think the broken tackles on all-Madden is simply too high for the cpu and it's probably too low for the user. You might want to tweak that. Haven't tried all-Madden myself but from your comments and the video I watched it was pretty obvious this area needs tuning.

Jaymo, you had commented on the cpu LBs rushing the lanes awful quick at times. I wonder if that's them "guessing the play"? I wonder if we tone down the run reaction slider if this can be fixed. Of course I probably won't be able to play until Friday. Probably be home late Thursday. Long day today and not much accomplished unfortunately meaning another long one tomorrow and then a 2.5+ hour drive home.

skipwondah33
08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Honestly everything is exacerbated when playing the CPU. That's why it's nearly impossible to get a good feel about certain things against them.

Either they break alot of tackles

Or their RB's are insanely talented

Or their QB is flawless, etc

Things that happen against them is doesn't really occur much against a user which is why I noted that prior to the write up.

I simply paid attention to things that will translate over into playing a other user as I will not ever be playing the CPU.

When playing another user in All-Madden neither user will be breaking multiple tackles as easily as the CPU does.

Regarding the "guess a play". They brought it back into the game. It hasn't been in the game to my knowledge since 2007 or 2008 I believe. Then you could one guess Run or Pass.
Not sure why it was brought back into the game. Wish that was just a feature of lower difficulty levels or could be turned off alltogether

I OU a Beatn
08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Not sure why it was brought back into the game. Wish that was just a feature of lower difficulty levels or could be turned off alltogether

So they could slap the "Better with Kinect" on the box.

skipwondah33
08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Haha

I OU a Beatn
08-15-2012, 09:17 PM
If you have a Kinect, you can call out pass or run commit, right? I just assumed that's why the put it in there.

I don't like it, but I don't like it because it's not implemented correctly. It never has been. If you call run commit the defensive line just destroys the offensive line every time. If you call pass commit, the pass rush also gets there quicker. It's just too over the top.

skipwondah33
08-15-2012, 11:11 PM
If you have a Kinect, you can call out pass or run commit, right? I just assumed that's why the put it in there.

I don't like it, but I don't like it because it's not implemented correctly. It never has been. If you call run commit the defensive line just destroys the offensive line every time. If you call pass commit, the pass rush also gets there quicker. It's just too over the top.

+1

Though I don't like it because it's a garbage feature to have. Then on top if the way it works as you said. It's ridamndicous...yes ri-damn-diculous

I could understand a "watch the screen" button but this?

Just another feature to dumb the game down for less skilled players and button mashers

jaymo76
08-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Just HEADS up to NCAA 14... add more sliders!!! (I believe this message will be Rudy approved). Just for fun I put the INJURY SLIDER to 100 and every three or so plays someone was getting hurt. It was great to see. Why NCAA will not add an injury slider is beyond me. In addition, the global fatigue slider works really well also. From my brief time with them (outside of pass int.) I find Madden's sliders to be more effective than NCAA.

jaymo76
08-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Here's a novel for anyone interested.

http://vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/File/M13ConnectedCareersManual.pdf

** after reading it... I give EA credit for the effort they have put into the manual but for me it just makes the game feel to set and structured. That seems to be how the whole ccm mode is set up.

Rudy
08-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Just HEADS up to NCAA 14... add more sliders!!! (I believe this message will be Rudy approved). Just for fun I put the INJURY SLIDER to 100 and every three or so plays someone was getting hurt. It was great to see. Why NCAA will not add an injury slider is beyond me. In addition, the global fatigue slider works really well also. From my brief time with them (outside of pass int.) I find Madden's sliders to be more effective than NCAA.

Exactly. The truth is I don't think the devs are big slider guys and I don't think many community day guys are big slider guys. When I asked the Madden community day guys if the special teams sliders were still global or not, none of them knew! They weren't even checking out the sliders! Why Madden refuses to have human and cpu FG accuracy sliders is beyond me.

I'd actually like to see two slider menus in the future. One called basic sliders and one called advanced sliders where a lot of categories can be adjusted for some of us slider geeks. Things like splitting coverage into man pass coverage and zone pass coverage. DB Knockdowns where you can adjust how easily the balls get knocked down. QB accuracy split into short, medium and deep accuracy sliders. Shotgun run blocking. Kick return blocking. Splitting RB ability/break tackles into different categories like RB speed, juke, stiff arm, spin and truck. I know EA has stuff like this probably built into their tuning files. I'd love to be able to play around with it.

WolverineJay
08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
I played couple more games on default All-Madden but changed the threshold to 0 and the game speed to slow. I feel the game plays better on slow with a little less floating, warping, and puppet show physics. I actually could break some tackles with Lynch and Gore in the open field and read the inside running lanes better. Slow speed means less plays in the demo, but at least the game plays a bit better. I still wish the players size mattered and that zig zagging movement all players are able to do would just go away already. I will pass on Madden 13, but at least if the exact same Infinity engine is implemented into NCAA 14 I may have a way to enjoy it (hopefully it is tuned much tighter for next year).

jaymo76
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I played couple more games on default All-Madden but changed the threshold to 0 and the game speed to slow. I feel the game plays better on slow with a little less floating, warping, and puppet show physics. I actually could break some tackles with Lynch and Gore in the open field and read the inside running lanes better. Slow speed means less plays in the demo, but at least the game plays a bit better. I still wish the players size mattered and that zig zagging movement all players are able to do would just go away already. I will pass on Madden 13, but at least if the exact same Infinity engine is implemented into NCAA 14 I may have a way to enjoy it (hopefully it is tuned much tighter for next year).

Yeah IMO slow is the only way to play Madden and NCAA. However, if you want more plays in the demo, during the game go to the menu screen and change the automiatc clock run off. Currently it's set at ten but if you put it to 25 you get a lot more plays.

jaymo76
08-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Exactly. The truth is I don't think the devs are big slider guys and I don't think many community day guys are big slider guys. When I asked the Madden community day guys if the special teams sliders were still global or not, none of them knew! They weren't even checking out the sliders! Why Madden refuses to have human and cpu FG accuracy sliders is beyond me.

I'd actually like to see two slider menus in the future. One called basic sliders and one called advanced sliders where a lot of categories can be adjusted for some of us slider geeks. Things like splitting coverage into man pass coverage and zone pass coverage. DB Knockdowns where you can adjust how easily the balls get knocked down. QB accuracy split into short, medium and deep accuracy sliders. Shotgun run blocking. Kick return blocking. Splitting RB ability/break tackles into different categories like RB speed, juke, stiff arm, spin and truck. I know EA has stuff like this probably built into their tuning files. I'd love to be able to play around with it.

I find the special teams sliders not being seperate just weird. The cpu is pretty much automatic from 55 yards out. It was a huge issue for Madden 12 and I suspect will be problematic again for 13. I just wish the people at Tiburon valued USER CUSTOMIZATION. As a consumer let me play the game as I like, not how you think I should.

CLW
08-16-2012, 04:12 PM
WTF is going on over at OS? They were very "down" (on OS terms at least) on NCAA and now a "down" Madden demo roundtable. What's up with dat?

jaymo76
08-16-2012, 04:56 PM
WTF is going on over at OS? They were very "down" (on OS terms at least) on NCAA and now a "down" Madden demo roundtable. What's up with dat?

I think people are seeing now for themselves that the cpu AI is still poor and infinity only has a MINOR impact on the gameplay. Momentum is still off and as they say it still plays like "Madden NFL." A lot of people were expecting an entirely new experience. However, at the end of the day, with Tiburon what you see is what you get. The game play a certain way and things are tinkered with each year. The OS mods/writers seem to have finally come around to being able to see long standing issues with games. I stopped posting at OS a long time ago due to the politics of it all but it is good to see that they are finally a little more open minded about things.

skipwondah33
08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
CPU AI will always be poor. It is down right horrendous in NCAA and will continue to be in every game. Which is why I only stick to playing Users. The CPU will never be able to implement that to everyone's satisfaction.

Just like some not liking the Infinity Engine. I honestly believe it has a great impact on the Gameplay. It changes problems that have been in the game for a while. Doesn't fix everything I know but the improvement is very notable. People rather focus on things that happen after plays rather than the big things it fixes like running into the backs of your lineman or simply tripping over a guys stretched leg.

I say they make two different games. Reaching I know but focus on things the normal consumer may like, then another for the ones focused on other aspects of the game. Stick to the core gamer for one, the one who has been with the product since its beginning nearly, then the other to introduce new buyers.

Now to OS...I don't visit the site and when I did just seemed like a bunch of people raging about any and everything. Do they like any game over there? Reminds me of another site....

Rudy
08-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Total control passing is sensitive but I like it. Honestly, the Infinity engine for me is way too overhyped. I pulled off a sweet juke with Santana Moss this morning. The juke appears to really be affected by the player's agility as well as juke move. Only players with elite skills in that area will be able to use it well. I HATE, HATE, HATE this stupid new replay system which constantly switches angles and all angles are zoomed in. No broadcast angles? That's not TV style or interesting at all.

One tip - turn accelerated clock off completely. The game lasts a lot longer.

On topic of sliders, why don't we have a slider for QB awareness? Only adjusting accuracy doesn't help solve stupid CPU QB decisions on the lower levels.

jaymo76
08-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I will say that I enjoy playing the demo for what it's worth. It's very much NCAA with better animations and tighter zone D. I don't see a lot of infinity as a gamechanger... but... regardless some people do and that's a discussion for another day. However, reading through the CCM manual again, I am liking the mode less and less. I think the concept is excellent but the TWO BIG THINGS that are super GIMMICKY to me are... XP (buying upgrades just seems silly) and GOALS. The goals are good in theory but they just seem so articifial when you look at some of the screens that have been posted. After meeting a goal in practise or a game you then buy player unlocks... for the people talking about realism, I don't get it. Honestly I would rather have the old progression system combined with a practise hybrid system.

Rudy
08-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I don't like the XP either in CCM. I will set it to auto distribute.

I did see Marshawn Lynch execute two spins and break some tackles in the first quarter of a game this morning. Leon Washington came in and juked (didn't work) as well. It does seem as though the Madden cpu RBs try to execute the special moves a lot more than the cpu RBs in NCAA. Maybe someone who has played more NCAA 13 can comment on this but I just haven't seen much personality at all out of the cpu RBs in NCAA the last couple years.

JeffHCross
08-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Only thing I enjoyed about the demo was the better zone defense. But there are enough differences between Madden and NCAA that I'm very unlikely to play them both. The Infinity Engine is not what I hoped it would be, and honestly felt like a detriment at times to the running game. Going to be getting Season Ticket and using that to make my decision.

Oh, and souljahbill will love that my starting MLB went out a few plays into my game.

Exactly. The truth is I don't think the devs are big slider guys and I don't think many community day guys are big slider guys. When I asked the Madden community day guys if the special teams sliders were still global or not, none of them knew! They weren't even checking out the sliders!FWIW, the Community Day events are filled with so much going on, and there is so much to check out that you don't get into a rhythm of checking out your normal things. When I was there for NCAA 12, I never once looked at sliders, and even with all the gameplay time I did get, I never called an audible or looked at the hot routes. (Part of this was because a decent amount of our gameplay time was HUM vs HUM on the same console ... didn't want to give away my call with play art!)

Sliders are something I always tinker with, at least a little bit, and, while I don't call quite as many audibles as others, I call my fair share in a normal game. The Community Day events are just so outside "the norm" that you don't look at most of the things you would with a retail copy.

I OU a Beatn
08-17-2012, 10:37 PM
My decision was made the first time I played NCAA '13 with my Season Ticket. The fact that this is by far the best Madden demo they've ever released also helps make the decision a lot easier. The zone defense, smoothness of play, and removal of route mirroring is all I needed to see. It just feels better to me in every possible way.

jaymo76
08-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Since it has been confirmed that coaching contracts are not in the game and only YEARLY EXTENSIONS are available based on completion of goals, I wonder how that will impact CCM and the HUM/CPU experience? I can expect to see some terrible results if things have not been tuned properly. I wonder how many good coaches will get the axe for failing something like milestone goals? Imagine if you go 10-6 and make the playoffs but you get fired because some of your specific weekly goals or milestone goals are not met? I really think coaching contracts should have been built in, especially in cases where injury/circumstance are involved. Also, the goals will be a lot tougher if your team is better. If you love the Packers and choose them in season one but don't meet your goals, you will be fired. Ouch! Outside of my Raiders, you don't see a lot of teams in the NFL who fire a coach after the first season for an average record.

Rudy
08-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Can you turn getting fired off in CCM?

Rudy
08-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Maybe I'm just getting old but I preferred playing on Very Slow this morning. The commentary has nice variety but many times is inaccurate. A WR drops a pass and Phil trashes the QB. A RB cuts back and Simms said it was a terrible decision and that the RB should have cut back. I wish Phil Simms wasn't as obsessed about first downs lol. Both Madden and NCAA commentary need to understand that a 47 yard FG is NOT a long FG, at least in the NFL. NFL kickers make that kick in their sleep now. That is never a distance issue unless your kicker is 40 years old. WRs need to do a better job of trying to drag their feet near the sidelines.

I don't know why when I drop my Rush Defense to 25 on All-Pro it drops me to Rookie difficulty. I don't think that matters and was an issue last year but I made it HARDER on myself. That was odd.

Honestly there was a part of me that wasn't sure if I was going to buy Madden 13 initially but I will. I just have to accept that these football games won't hold my interest year round (or even 6 months) like they did when I was younger.

jaymo76
08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Maybe I'm just getting old but I preferred playing on Very Slow this morning. The commentary has nice variety but many times is inaccurate. A WR drops a pass and Phil trashes the QB. A RB cuts back and Simms said it was a terrible decision and that the RB should have cut back. I wish Phil Simms wasn't as obsessed about first downs lol. Both Madden and NCAA commentary need to understand that a 47 yard FG is NOT a long FG, at least in the NFL. NFL kickers make that kick in their sleep now. That is never a distance issue unless your kicker is 40 years old. WRs need to do a better job of trying to drag their feet near the sidelines.

I don't know why when I drop my Rush Defense to 25 on All-Pro it drops me to Rookie difficulty. I don't think that matters and was an issue last year but I made it HARDER on myself. That was odd.

Honestly there was a part of me that wasn't sure if I was going to buy Madden 13 initially but I will. I just have to accept that these football games won't hold my interest year round (or even 6 months) like they did when I was younger.

That's becoming true of myself as well. Now, I still play NCAA and Madden for the calendar year but I usually now take several months off for each game. The type of immersion for the "offline franchise guy" like me just isn't what Tiburon has historically done well. At this point I need something more to hold my interest. Plus, I have been playing these type of football games for a decade and basically at the heart of it, they are the same game over and over year after year.

As to the rookie difficulty comment... it's just a bug. Don't worry about it though because the difficulty is NOT rookie even though it says it is. I haven't tried very slow but I do enjoy the game on slow.

For me, I just wish editing and play any game were available. That would Make Madden a sure buy. Right now though until season ticket proves me wrong I am still leaning towards no buy.

WolverineJay
08-18-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not going to deny that playing the Madden 13 demo on slow hasn't made me at least think about renting the game to see how the Infinity Engine has been tuned up. My main problem with Madden 13 is the Connected Careers mode just don't feel it is for me at all. I will miss everything that was added to Madden 12 Franchise too much so I'm passing on buying it. Here is hoping EA Tiburon understands their monumental gaffe in my eyes by removing all the cool aspects of Franchise that I enjoyed in Madden 12. If Madden 14 gives me everything back from Madden 12 with improved player movement, true OL/DL and WR/DB interactions, more stat overlays, highlight shows at half-time and post-game, in studio score updates from around the league with highlights, and improved player AI then I'll be back to getting both NCAA and Madden(next gen here I come hopefully, lol).

Rudy
08-18-2012, 06:30 PM
There are certainly omissions from this new franchise mode that bother people to varying degrees but I am interested in the new scouting system and the new FA system. Last year's FA e-bay system was a huge disappointment to me. So was the scouting as it did very little to help you and you got NO basic info like 40 times that all GMs should have available. I felt scouting was a complete waste of time and that hurt the draft. Plus, the few kids I was able to scout for true ratings always ended up with worse ratings than projected. It just seemed like almost every first rounder was worse than what they said while there were quite a few gems in the 3rd and 4th round. I honestly felt I should just trade down last year and acquire a ton of mid round picks because my 3rd round pick was just as good as my first rounder.

I have read almost no info on the new FA system other than it is a recruiting style bidding system. Nobody has said if it works well or not. They are having one final community day to test the new CCM mode so maybe we'll get more soon.

souljahbill
08-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Just played the demo.

Meh.

JeffHCross
08-18-2012, 07:22 PM
There are certainly omissions from this new franchise mode that bother people to varying degrees but I am interested in the new scouting system and the new FA system.:+1: That's why I'm planning to get Season Ticket, so I can try that.

jaymo76
08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
There are certainly omissions from this new franchise mode that bother people to varying degrees but I am interested in the new scouting system and the new FA system. Last year's FA e-bay system was a huge disappointment to me. So was the scouting as it did very little to help you and you got NO basic info like 40 times that all GMs should have available. I felt scouting was a complete waste of time and that hurt the draft. Plus, the few kids I was able to scout for true ratings always ended up with worse ratings than projected. It just seemed like almost every first rounder was worse than what they said while there were quite a few gems in the 3rd and 4th round. I honestly felt I should just trade down last year and acquire a ton of mid round picks because my 3rd round pick was just as good as my first rounder.

I have read almost no info on the new FA system other than it is a recruiting style bidding system. Nobody has said if it works well or not. They are having one final community day to test the new CCM mode so maybe we'll get more soon.

Here is an upload from Tradition... it's MOST of the draft. I haven't watched it all but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoTsHGWV6mE&feature=youtu.be&a

WolverineJay
08-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Holy crap what a bunch of cheesers all these users are my goodness they went ahead and practically stole every 1st rd pick from the CPU teams. How embarrassing to put it nicely lol these guys are really going out of their way to do a sim nfl draft there, NOT. 1st, 2nd, and 4th pick of RD 1 went to the User of the Ravens lol and he took 2 MLB's. Its like watching my brother draft giving backups and mid round picks for 1st rd selections, lol terrible trade logic. Minus the unbelievable cheese of the Users I think the draft works fairly well though with Tweets and generic player info by Wingo. However, we never got to see the draft recap or how each of these unscouted players turned out to be rated so still a lot of unanswered questions about the drafts.

Rudy
08-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Definitely a lot more immersive with the draft. I hope we get enough scouting points this year. Not enough last year imo.

jaymo76
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Holy crap what a bunch of cheesers all these users are my goodness they went ahead and practically stole every 1st rd pick from the CPU teams. How embarrassing to put it nicely lol these guys are really going out of their way to do a sim nfl draft there, NOT. 1st, 2nd, and 4th pick of RD 1 went to the User of the Ravens lol and he took 2 MLB's. Its like watching my brother draft giving backups and mid round picks for 1st rd selections, lol terrible trade logic. Minus the unbelievable cheese of the Users I think the draft works fairly well though with Tweets and generic player info by Wingo. However, we never got to see the draft recap or how each of these unscouted players turned out to be rated so still a lot of unanswered questions about the drafts.

Yeah I am a ittle worried by the trade logic. Offering up a 3rd and 5th rounder over the next two years and throwing in a 72 ovr Mark Ingram and you get a top ten pick? Really??? That's just bizarre. There also has been a lot of concern that pick 1 is a WR and pick 2 is a TE. Overall I think the draft looks 100 times better BUT I do wonder how effective it will be.

jaymo76
08-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Definitely a lot more immersive with the draft. I hope we get enough scouting points this year. Not enough last year imo.

I find it strange/concerning that there are ZERO videos of scouting. Has it not really change? Is it broken? Why no videos yet???

Rudy
08-19-2012, 06:37 PM
I was a bit worried seeing a WR and TE taken in the top two as well. That is rare. Especially with a QB going #3. People will almost always trade up or reach for a QB. With the success of a WR like Calvin Johnson and all these TEs (Vernon Davis was taken #4 or #6) it's possible we could see this happen. As long as they are studs I can live with it.

I haven't seen much of the offseason stuff either. Shopmaster did tweet that free agency is really good and that you will lose out on free agents to the cpu (unlike last year).

souljahbill
08-19-2012, 06:37 PM
I find it strange/concerning that there are ZERO videos of scouting. Has it not really change? Is it broken? Why no videos yet???

There's videos of scouting. I posted one around E3. Check the second post of this link. (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5158)

jaymo76
08-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Another one from Tradition Sports specifically ALL about scouting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DasjMW-rzg4

jaymo76
08-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Practise mode also from Tradition Sports. I'm not really big into practising to gain xp due to MY time restrictions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCK-wfEedkU&list=UU2JEB7Mc1X4_e2H74XH1azQ&index=2&feature=plcp

Rudy
08-20-2012, 04:53 AM
I don't think 2000 points for scouting is enough. Last year it was too restrictive and I sure hope we can have info on more than 20-30 prospects when there are 250 kids that get drafted. Especially since we don't get basic numbers like 40 times and bench. Last year you had decent info on less than 20 kids imo and it all felt like a waste since it was barely useful.

jaymo76
08-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't think 2000 points for scouting is enough. Last year it was too restrictive and I sure hope we can have info on more than 20-30 prospects when there are 250 kids that get drafted. Especially since we don't get basic numbers like 40 times and bench. Last year you had decent info on less than 20 kids imo and it all felt like a waste since it was barely useful.

I agree 100%. The scouting process last year was a joke and it made the draft almost pointless. Far more information needs to be known about far more draftees for 13.

WolverineJay
08-20-2012, 02:25 PM
I totally agree 2000 SP is a joke especially when some of those attributes have to be scouted multiple times to get the true rating, lol. I know Madden 12 scouting was unrealistic in that you only got 60 guys to scout during the year with mostly asinine ratings revealed like blocking attributes for defenders, but Madden 13 seems to have made it nearly impossible to get half that many players scouted during the year. Note to EA Tiburon there isn't 1 player drafted in the NFL that each team doesn't know the basics physical attributes on and college stats. So it seems yet again the User will be flying blind into the NFL draft, thanks. I know we haven't seen or I haven't heard about off-season scouting so maybe there is a senior bowl, scouting combine, pro days, and individual workouts section that allows for more scouting than the measly bit you get in-season. However, knowing EA Tiburon I doubt we get auto scouting for any of those if they are in the game at all.

Rudy
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I had tweeted Madscientist about that (he has the retail version) and he agreed that the user has a lot less info in the game than a real GM has in real life. I know that was also a big complaint from one of the first community days. The guys were begging for more points. I do think that was 2000 points per week and I hope we get a lot more points in the offseason. Why not even make it an option? If I want to double the points to make it easier for me why not let me do it? Unfortunately the Madden devs have decided you will play this mode exactly how they want you to play it - no extra scouting, no editing players, no ability to play games other than your own, etc.

jaymo76
08-20-2012, 06:50 PM
I had tweeted Madscientist about that (he has the retail version) and he agreed that the user has a lot less info in the game than a real GM has in real life. I know that was also a big complaint from one of the first community days. The guys were begging for more points. I do think that was 2000 points per week and I hope we get a lot more points in the offseason. Why not even make it an option? If I want to double the points to make it easier for me why not let me do it? Unfortunately the Madden devs have decided you will play this mode exactly how they want you to play it - no extra scouting, no editing players, no ability to play games other than your own, etc.

The last sentence sums up the biggest issue with madden. I want to like cm, I really do. However, when every other company is pushing customization, madden gives us the "we know best routine.". I just don't get it. Madden got so much praise last year for full editing and then this year... 100% gone.

Rudy
08-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I posted some ideas for advanced sliders for Madden (and NCAA). Vote them up here on EA's site: http://www.easports.com/gamechangers/ideas?dest=%2Fa%2Fdtd%2FAdvanced-Sliders%2F175253-18503&title=Advanced+Sliders

JeffHCross
08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Rudy, check your link. It goes to a search rather than to your post.

Rudy
08-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Rudy, check your link. It goes to a search rather than to your post.

It works for me on FF but you are now the second person to say this. I've clicked on other people's links and it hasn't worked for me either. I'm guessing it only works for me because I've been there and it's in my cache? I wonder what's wrong?

Rudy
08-21-2012, 04:40 AM
Zoom camera video from retail. Definitely not for me but some may like it. Apparently you can't use it in CCM. What the heck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7olYIygtx0g#!

skipwondah33
08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Wow visually that looks great but would be very very difficult to play on IMO.

gigemaggs99
08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
I like how loud the crowd is.

I've been an NCAA guy for a long time but this looks nice. My question is, some say there isn't much to a franchise mode. I had madden back around 2004 or so and you could play an offline mode that let you set ticket prices, drink prices, and then coach the team of your choice. Similar to dynasty mode on NCAA. Is this an option on Madden? Or is it only an online feature? If it is only an online feature can you play in an "online dynasty" by yourself or does it require multiple users?

I'm all about playing other users but sometimes I'd just like to play the CPU and work towards the super bowl.

Thanks for any info.

WolverineJay
08-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes you can play as a single user only connected career online or offline in M13.

WolverineJay
08-21-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't care for the so called zoom camera view looks more like ground level view than zoomed in. I wish the zoomed view would have been last gen's Madden default camera that was perfect IMO.

jaymo76
08-21-2012, 03:09 PM
I would like to have the zoom camera on run plays and then the regular camera for pass plays. A hybrid option would be great IMO.

Rudy
08-21-2012, 05:21 PM
I had madden back around 2004 or so and you could play an offline mode that let you set ticket prices, drink prices, and then coach the team of your choice. Similar to dynasty mode on NCAA. Is this an option on Madden? Or is it only an online feature? If it is only an online feature can you play in an "online dynasty" by yourself or does it require multiple users?

I'm all about playing other users but sometimes I'd just like to play the CPU and work towards the super bowl.

Thanks for any info.

That was the old owner mode back on the PS2. That was fun but that doesn't exist in the PS3/360 versions. I don't think there are many off field options. EA stripped down some features this year but the draft and free agency look cool. All of the options are available either offline or online this year.

jaymo76
08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I like how loud the crowd is.

I've been an NCAA guy for a long time but this looks nice. My question is, some say there isn't much to a franchise mode. I had madden back around 2004 or so and you could play an offline mode that let you set ticket prices, drink prices, and then coach the team of your choice. Similar to dynasty mode on NCAA. Is this an option on Madden? Or is it only an online feature? If it is only an online feature can you play in an "online dynasty" by yourself or does it require multiple users?

Thanks for any info.

If you play franchise (aka connected careers) basically a lot of the stuff SINGLE PLAYER OFFLINE GAMERS liked to do is now gone. Just remember you can no longer:

1. Edit names, numbers, equipment
2. Editi ratings, rookies, etc.
3. Play/watch any game on the schedule
4. change thhe cpu uniforms in CCM
5. change player positions (hence in you change scheme from 3-4 to 4-3 your player ratings will be impacted
6. removal of coaching contracts
7. removal of coordinators
8. removal of NCAA imported draft classes
9. no return of the extra point (which was removed in MADDEN 12... to make it better... but it's not back...)
10. controlling of multiple teams in CCM
11. no ability to use a custom playbook in CCM
12. no using custom rosters

However, they have added a more interesting form of scouting, new free agency, a really interactive draft, fake twitter feeds, an XP progression system, and the ability to play as a coach or player and switch at any point (but if you create yourself and switch to someone else, your made up player is retired). Physics is also in the game but it's 50/50 depending on who you ask as to it's impact. Everything else gameplay wise is pretty much the same~ Madden is Madden. If you love offline you may be dissapointed but if you love online you are probably over the moon for this game.

JeffHCross
08-21-2012, 07:57 PM
It works for me on FF but you are now the second person to say this. I've clicked on other people's links and it hasn't worked for me either. I'm guessing it only works for me because I've been there and it's in my cache? I wonder what's wrong?I don't know. I would think the link should look more like this: http://mgi-gc.easports.com/a/dtd/Neppo-s-Theory!/148459-18503

But I don't think that site is really designed for links anyway. The UI just isn't set up for links to be passed.

skipwondah33
08-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Caught this on Twitter

http://bit.ly/SkDBuQ

Pretty solid article regarding my feelings toward them catering to one side and needing two different games sort of speak.

gigemaggs99
08-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Sorry if I'm behind on the times, but I just read you can use old school playbooks in Madden 13, one of which is the Bill Walsh PB. This is a pretty cool feature.

jaymo76
08-22-2012, 02:17 AM
I played using VERY SLOW tonight. I pretty much exclusively use SLOW but I wanted to try something different. I hated it at first but by the end of the game I convinced myself that very slow is the way to play. Plays develop more naturally and you can see everything unfolding in front of you. It also helps in keeping the scoores down so games "feel" more defensive. I would recommend people give it a try.

Rudy
08-22-2012, 05:13 AM
I've jumped on the Very Slow train this year myself for the first time. I like it better.

Rudy
08-22-2012, 04:54 PM
I wish I would have seen this tip on juking last year. Apparently the juke works better when you cover up the ball. That's tough on the fingers to hit R1 and then r-stick. Going to have to try this on the M13 demo. Juke is better this year but this may bring it back to old school effectiveness. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHVFTt51zSA&feature=related

jaymo76
08-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Amazing link from OS with regards to all the playbooks. Personally when Season pass releases, I will be running with Tom Landry's playbook.

http://apps.facebook.com/maddennflplaybooks/

Rudy
08-23-2012, 05:21 AM
That's cool but I notice they have the Dolphins running the 3-4 as their defense and I'm guessing Cam Wake will be listed at OLB. That's wrong. They have moved to the 4-3 this year although they may still show some 3-4 looks. At the very least it should be a hybrid but the 4-3 should be the base. I can live with this because I love the 3-4 but it's inaccurate.

Rudy
08-23-2012, 05:36 AM
A former Backbreaker dev has been writing articles on OS about Madden. Here is part 2 on EA's running game engine and blocking. Fantastic article (part one is linked in there as well).

http://www.operationsports.com/features/1546/breaking-down-madden-the-run-game/

jaymo76
08-23-2012, 01:24 PM
That's cool but I notice they have the Dolphins running the 3-4 as their defense and I'm guessing Cam Wake will be listed at OLB. That's wrong. They have moved to the 4-3 this year although they may still show some 3-4 looks. At the very least it should be a hybrid but the 4-3 should be the base. I can live with this because I love the 3-4 but it's inaccurate.

Rudy, I think that is how the developers want it. Remember how they said if you change a scheme, your players are not suited for it and will still register with the old scheme until you draft/bring in the appropriate players. Since you can't edit players, Wake is and will always be considered on OLB according to CCM. Maybe the new motto should be "play EA's way." ???

jaymo76
08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
This quote from EA sports community manager at OS ruined my day.

Q. Editing #'s and equipment?

A: "You cannot edit those at the moment. Obviously this is something we would like to implement in the future but I don't know when that will be."

If I had a dollar for everytime I have heard that line from "NEXT GEN" EA titles I would be rich. A lot of people, including myself were hoping for a day one patch for editing but it's not going to happen.

Rudy
08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Apparently they fixed the Dolphins defensive scheme for the retail version so it will be a 4-3. Not sure what took so long though. They brought in a new DC right away who announced the intention of going to the 4-3. I still expect some looks with Wake in a 2 point stance but they are a 4-3 team now. With so many teams going to passing sets it's probably a good thing unless teams start running 3-3-5 looks more.

jaymo76
08-24-2012, 05:31 PM
So an EA rep on OS finally said why editing is out... it would create instability online and lead to disconnects. Us offliners really took it on this one! :(

SmoothPancakes
08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
So an EA rep on OS finally said why editing is out... it would create instability online and lead to disconnects. Us offliners really took it on this one! :(

Yep. :( Why don't they have it like NCAA? You can edit to your heart's content for offline use, but you have to have the official rosters, whatever is officially released by/recognized by EA, to play anything online. Unless with everything being tied in with CCM, it'd be all fucked up regardless.

But if that's the case, so help me god if those bastards add CCM to NCAA. I'm gonna burn down their goddamn building.

Rudy
08-24-2012, 08:33 PM
EA was so concerned about making the online franchise work like offline that they decided to nerf offline to make it happen. It's a garbage reason but what can we do about it other than not buy it? It's annoying but it's not a game killer for me. Still pisses me off that this is the reason.

SmoothPancakes
08-24-2012, 10:52 PM
EA was so concerned about making the online franchise work like offline that they decided to nerf offline to make it happen. It's a garbage reason but what can we do about it other than not buy it? It's annoying but it's not a game killer for me. Still pisses me off that this is the reason.

Yeah, some of the stuff I could get over, but not being able to edit anything at all is a huge negative for me. I don't play online. I play 100% offline. Losing everything that was chopped out for CCM, it completely kills my experience with Madden. I still have never played Madden 12, and only owned Madden 11 for 3 days (to achievement whore it), so losing everything that got chopped out in Madden 13, there's no reason for me to buy it.

It saddens me because NCAA and Madden were guaranteed buys every single year. But I need the immersion factor of Dynasty/Franchise for NCAA and Madden, I can't just simply play online or Play Now games. But while Dynasty in NCAA usually continues to get regular additions and updates, offline Franchise in Madden just continues to get fucked over, either by getting completely skipped in favor of the online players, or in the case of this year, CCM, which is great for, again, online players, but does nothing but destroy things that were great in the past for offline franchise players.

JeffHCross
08-24-2012, 10:59 PM
offline Franchise in Madden just continues to get fucked over, either by getting completely skipped in favor of the online players, or in the case of this year, CCM, which is great for, again, online players, but does nothing but destroy things that were great in the past for offline franchise players.FWIW, CCM can be played 100% offline. Don't think it brings back any of the lost features though.

Also, it is worth mentioning that online Franchise was even more fucked over than regular Franchise.