PDA

View Full Version : Bootleg rollout plays?

gigemaggs99
07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
I didn't play football in H/S so I don't have the experience and knowledge a lot of ya'll do.

My question is, when the QB rolls isn't it better for him to roll "away" from the "hand he throws" so he's not throwing across his body? I.E. if you're a right handed QB isn't it better to ROLL the bootleg or PA or whatever the ROLL is to the left?

I'm just wondering if it's better for accuracy's sake to flip the majority of the bootleg plays and run them so the QB is running/rolling in a direction that allows him to be more accurate?

I noticed this when playing on the practice field with random left-handed QB's, i.e. BYU, Temple....their QB seems to fit the plays better since they roll right and throw w/ their left hand.

When I run these same plays with a right-handed QB and roll right he's usually not very accurate, however if I flip the play his accuracy goes way up.

Just wondering if this IS the case why the playbooks are setup to help out a left-handed QB? Seems like the majority of QBs are right-handed so if you're going have to flip it one way or the other, it seems like they would be setup for right-handers.

Just wondering.

AustinWolv
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
No expert here, but I played QB in high school and we ran a ton of waggles and bootlegs.........and I was taught to square up to the LOS regardless of which way we ran the play in order to minimize throwing across your body, get good velocity and accuracy on the ball, have your feet and hips properly under you to generate power for the throw, and to prevent the ball from sailing. Your lower body doesn't necessarily get squared, but you want your shoulders to be parallel with the LOS at the time of the throw.......that minimizes throwing across your body regardless of what side you are rolling.

Typically when rolling to the side opposite of your throwing arm, you would try to round off the roll to head right towards the LOS instead of continuing towards the sideline.......this helps you get squared "downhill", i.e. to the LOS, and generate a strong enough throw.

gigemaggs99
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Sounds good, I figure as much that it's always better to have your feet planted, set and throw, I think I was referring more to throwing on the run, if that's possible...I need to watch it more closely in real life do they always roll a direction, sprint there and then stop, set and fire? Don't they throw on the run sometimes?

AustinWolv
07-30-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm talking about throwing on the run.

gigemaggs99
07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm talking about throwing on the run.

Ah, I see your edited original post now. Thanks makes more sense. It's good to hear from you and people that have played the actual position.

Thank you sir.

Gus

souljahbill
07-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I took all the bootleg plays out of my playbook but typically, I liked right handers to go right and left handers to go left because it took less time for the QB to set up.

Escobar
07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Technically a bootleg is away from the QB's throwing side and rollout towards the QB's throwing side. And bootlegs are called as part off play action to catch the defense off guard