PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympics Discussion Thread

CLW
07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Hopefully, I'm not the only one that cannot get enough of the Olympics. I've been glued to the t.v. all day long watching sports I only watch once every 4 years.

Phelps looked AWFUL this morning. I think he decided to go to London :sf:

psusnoop
07-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Hopefully, I'm not the only one that cannot get enough of the Olympics. I've been glued to the t.v. all day long watching sports I only watch once every 4 years.

Phelps looked AWFUL this morning. I think he decided to go to London :sf:

I've been watching quite a bit. I've enjoyed it and will be watching this throughout. My wife and kids enjoy pretty all of it.

CLW
07-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Where is the nearest handball court when you need one?

skipwondah33
07-28-2012, 06:14 PM

Hahaha

jaymo76
07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah, count me as an Olympics junkee as well. I am most looking forward to the rowing and triathalon.

CLW
07-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, count me as an Olympics junkee as well. I am most looking forward to the rowing and triathalon.

My wife likes gymnastics the best. Me its a tough call but I'd probably go with water polo. You gotta be in SUPER shape to basically tread water for as long as they do while some other big dude is trying to drown you.

psusnoop
07-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Not sure of my favorite, I just enjoy them all. Lol

CLW
07-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Phelps' body language has been AWFUL. I saw his interview on ESPN and a few other places and you could just tell he wasn't into it 100% and I told my wife he was going to FLOP in London. I wouldn't be surprised if he went 0 fer (other than the relays).

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 06:12 AM

I play handball often. ;)

CLW
07-29-2012, 09:40 AM
I play handball often. ;)

Love me some handball!

Watched our 2nd gold this morning in women's skeet shooting. It was amazing to just watch how quick they found the target and poof gone.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm watching soccer right now on the Olympic Soccer channel. Belarus had a 1-0 lead over Brazil in the first 10 minutes, Brazil answered 7 minutes later and still tied 1-1 just before halftime.

CLW
07-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Men's Bball looked pretty good against France. The ONLY way I see them losing is if someone just plays zone the ENTIRE game and USA just goes stone cold from 3.

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Got to catch part of the cycling Road Race on Saturday before I flew out, but didn't get to see the end. Sounded like a, overall, disappointing race though.

Other than that, I expect I'll watch the women's gymnastics team final on Tuesday night (if I don't get the results spoiled at some point during the day), and that's about it. Normally I love the Olympics, I just have too much going on right now to devote much time to watch it. I also have a larger variety of sports that I enjoy watching during the Winter Games. While I was on the track team in HS, I've never enjoyed watching track. :D

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Well, Brazil beats Belarus 3-1, but it was a damn close game the entire way through. Belarus went up 1-0 in the 8th minute, Brazil tied it up in the 15th minute, took the 2-1 lead in the 65th minute and scored an injury time goal just seconds before the final whistle. I was very impressed by the game Belarus played. Going up against a juggernaut like Brazil, they really took it to Brazil, at least in the first half.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 12:54 PM
WOW! What a let down for Uruguay. They were losing 1-0 to Senegal in the early minutes, a Senegal player got straight red carded (he already had a yellow in the match, but committed a big enough foul that he was straight hit with a red instead of yellow-red) only 30 minutes in, giving Uruguay the man up advantage the final 60 minutes of the match, Senegal gets a second goal just minutes later while playing with only 10 men to take a 2-0 lead and that ends up being the final as Uruguay can't score a thing despite the man-up advantage.

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
WTF why do we suck at badmitten. Losing to some 3rd world Asian nations? That's it new law requiring everyone to play badmitten at all BBQs until we can field a decent badmitten team. :nod:

An interesting subplot will be wither China defeats us in the overall medal count. I've long thought it is only a matter of time before China becomes the DOMINANT sports superpower.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:06 PM
WTF why do we suck at badmitten. Losing to some 3rd world Asian nations? That's it new law requiring everyone to play badmitten at all BBQs until we can field a decent badmitten team. :nod:

An interesting subplot will be wither China defeats us in the overall medal count. I've long thought it is only a matter of time before China becomes the DOMINANT sports superpower.

Man, Malaysia be kicking our ass.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Correction, Malaysia done kicked our ass.

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Correction, Malaysia done kicked our ass.

Yeah I could tell about 3 minutes in this was just an ass kicking in the making. Apparently I think I heard only 1 country outside of Asia has EVER won a medal in the event. :smh:

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
First step: Properly spelling badminton.

1: Only one non-Asian country (Denmark) has won Gold, but Denmark, GB and the Netherlands have combined for 10% of the medals.
2: It's only been in Olympic participation since 1996, so "EVER" is relatively speaking
3: Denmark is the only non-Asian country to have double-digits in badminton participation in every Olympics from 96-08. So part of the problem is the field is stacked with Asian countries. EDIT: Though the field is comprised of those who qualify, so maybe it's the entire sport that is stacked with Asian countries.

EDIT 4: Why are the Asian countries so good at the "reaction time" sports (e.g. Badminton, Ping-Pong), but can't compete athletically in so many other sports? It's an interesting observation.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah I could tell about 3 minutes in this was just an ass kicking in the making. Apparently I think I heard only 1 country outside of Asia has EVER won a medal in the event. :smh:

Well, we own their ass in basketball, soccer (women's at least), beach volleyball, swimming, track and field. Gotta toss them a bone now and then. :D

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Nah. We need to DOMINATE the sport and spell it however we want! :nod:

Well, we own their ass in basketball, soccer (women's at least), beach volleyball, swimming, track and field. Gotta toss them a bone now and then. :D

Nah we need these sports b/c China is starting to catch us in overall medals. I think we have won the most medals at every summer Olympics since 1992.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Nah. We need to DOMINATE the sport and spell it however we want! :nod:

Nah we need these sports b/c China is starting to catch us in overall medals. I think we have won the most medals at every summer Olympics since 1992.

I love your style! :D

Alright, so watching water polo right now between Hungary and Serbia. Question. What the hell is with the constant damn whistling in water polo? The only time I ever watch it (or see it on TV for that matter) is during the Olympics.

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I love your style! :D

Alright, so watching water polo right now between Hungary and Serbia. Question. What the hell is with the constant damn whistling in water polo? The only time I ever watch it (or see it on TV for that matter) is during the Olympics.

Foul call.

I LOVE water polo and we actually have a pretty good squad this year and a decent shot at a medal and might even steal a gold.

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 01:27 PM
You guys probably didn't see my EDITs:
1: Only one non-Asian country (Denmark) has won Gold, but Denmark, GB and the Netherlands have combined for 10% of the medals.
2: It's only been in Olympic participation since 1996, so "EVER" is relatively speaking
3: Denmark is the only non-Asian country to have double-digits in badminton participation in every Olympics from 96-08. So part of the problem is the field is stacked with Asian countries. EDIT: Though the field is comprised of those who qualify, so maybe it's the entire sport that is stacked with Asian countries.

EDIT 4: Why are the Asian countries so good at the "reaction time" sports (e.g. Badminton, Ping-Pong), but (most) can't compete athletically in so many other sports? It's an interesting observation.

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:30 PM

EDIT 4: Why are the Asian countries so good at the "reaction time" sports (e.g. Badminton, Ping-Pong), but (most) can't compete athletically in so many other sports? It's an interesting observation.

Perhaps they have good reflex/hand eye coordination but lack brute force/power? We suck at ping pong too apparently! UNACCEPTABLE! I demand a stimulous package where we spend billions of $ on these sports we suck at. Benefit? It will probably create more jobs than the previous stimulous package and we actually might win some olympic medals in 2016 in Brazil. :nod:

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Foul call.

I LOVE water polo and we actually have a pretty good squad this year and a decent shot at a medal and might even steal a gold.

So what all constitutes fouls then? Because the whistles seem to blow every 5-10 seconds, sometimes almost nonstop.

Another question, what are the green and red lines for? I'm assuming the red line is sort of like a "do not pass/offside" boundary for the players.

All good points, and I have to agree with that observation. Not sure why.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Perhaps they have good reflex/hand eye coordination but lack brute force/power? We suck at ping pong too apparently! UNACCEPTABLE! I demand a stimulous package where we spend billions of $ on these sports we suck at. Benefit? It will probably create more jobs than the previous stimulous package and we actually might win some olympic medals in 2016 in Brazil. :nod:

Or we could just lobby to get beer pong made an Olympic sport. Now THAT we would kick ass in! :D

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Or we could just lobby to get beer pong made an Olympic sport. Now THAT we would kick ass in! :D

The problem if we kick too much ass in a sport the IOC just removes it from the olympics (see softball). :smh:

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Big upset there water polo is like Hungary's national past time. Although that makes me re-think how impressed I was with USA's friendly win over Hungary recently?

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:42 PM
USA water polo on now bitches!

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:45 PM
The problem if we kick too much ass in a sport the IOC just removes it from the olympics (see softball). :smh:

Yeah, I'm still pissed about baseball and softball getting the boot. I am happy that Rugby is getting added in 2016, that will be a lot of fun to watch, even if it is only going to be Rugby sevens.

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 01:46 PM
The problem if we kick too much ass in a sport the IOC just removes it from the olympics (see softball). :smh:Well, to be fair, I don't think we've ever seen a talent gap for an Olympic sport like there was for softball. Maybe men's basketball, but only in 1992 and not before/since.

I am happy that Rugby is getting added in 2016, that will be a lot of fun to watch, even if it is only going to be Rugby sevens.And another sport we suck at. :D

jaymo76
07-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Holy cow! Womens weight lifting. Just broke the Olympic Record. Wow!

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
BAD 1st quarter for team USA but tied 1-1 goalie playing well keeping us in it early

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Holy cow! Womens weight lifting. Just broke the Olympic Record. Wow!

Who? What weight class? How much?

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone playing fantasy olympics pick em on ESPN. Right now I have 11 points good for 94.8%

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:57 PM
2-1! USA! USA!

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:02 PM
3-2 USA after a "Power Play" goal. LMAO no clue what you call it after an "ejection" or whatever they call it

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Wow what a "floater" 4-2!

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Halftime: 4-2 USA's Goalie is ON FIRE.

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
WTF women's beach volleyball and no bikinis? When did England become Sharia compliant? :smh:

souljahbill
07-29-2012, 02:25 PM
WTF women's beach volleyball and no bikinis? When did England become Sharia compliant? :smh:

Yeah, I think that rule got put in for this Olympiad. They're not required to wear bikinis anymore.

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I think that rule got put in for this Olympiad. They're not required to wear bikinis anymore.

LOL wait they were REQUIRED to wear next to nothing in the past? That's too funny

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
USA clinging to a 7-6 lead 2 minutes remaining

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ll!

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Montenegro timeout USA clinging to 1 goal lead 17 seconds remaining DRAMA!

CLW
07-29-2012, 02:42 PM
USA wins 8-7 Montenegro fails to get a shot off b/c of USA defense crowd goes "wild"

jaymo76
07-29-2012, 02:53 PM

I think it's the rain because this morning Canada vs Britain and it was all bikini. :popcorn:

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 02:59 PM
What the fuck USA. Wearing LONG SLEEVE SHIRTS in beach volleyball? You should have your citizenship revoked. :( :smh: :fp:

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 03:00 PM
At least ARGENTINA! is bringing the eye candy. :smh:

jaymo76
07-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Sandra Raluca Isbasa of Romania... I'm pulling for this girl..

http://allsuperstarplayers.blogspot.ca/2012/07/sandra-izbasa-gymnastic-star.html

souljahbill
07-29-2012, 03:08 PM
I can't get into female gymnast. Besides most of them being too young, the lack of boobs is a dealbreaker.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Is it wrong of me to be rooting for Argentina right now in women's beach volleyball against the US team just because the Argentina players are actually showing skin?

jaymo76
07-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Who? What weight class? How much?

Sorry Smooth, I could not remember the name so I had to look it up.

Kazakh Chinshanlo of Kazakhstan wins gold in weightlifting

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCABRE86S0KT20120729

CLW
07-29-2012, 03:11 PM
France reverses 08 and storms from behind to wen the Mens 4 x 100 relay. :smh:

jaymo76
07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
I can't get into female gymnast. Besides most of them being too young, the lack of boobs is a dealbreaker.

Normally I Would agree with you but this girl is 22, almost 23 which is ancient in terms of gymnasts, especially gynmasts from Eastern Europe. I love it when the "older" girls perform well because when you hit 18-20, the chances of you going to the Olympics ever again are very rare. Frankly, I think there needs to be age restrictions in gynastics because some of these girls are like 13 years old. That is just too young for major sports competition IMO.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Normally I Would agree with you but this girl is 22, almost 23 which is ancient in terms of gymnasts, especially gynmasts from Eastern Europe. I love it when the "older" girls perform well because when you hit 18-20, the chances of you going to the Olympics ever again are very rare. Frankly, I think there needs to be age restrictions in gynastics because some of these girls are like 13 years old. That is just too young for major sports competition IMO.

Plus the aforementioned young as hell so you feel like a pedo watching them, and the lack of boobs in the process.

CLW
07-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Spain is OUT of men's olympic soccer

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Frankly, I think there needs to be age restrictions in gynastics because some of these girls are like 13 years old. That is just too young for major sports competition IMO.There ... are.

They have to turn 16 this year.

Also, Oksana Chusovitina is competing for Germany (yet again) and is 37.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Spain is OUT of men's olympic soccer

WOW! That was completely unexpected.

CLW
07-29-2012, 03:47 PM
There ... are.

They have to turn 16 this year.

Unless you are Chinese and you have your all powerful government fake birth certificates for 6 year olds.

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Unless you are Chinese and you have your all powerful government fake birth certificates for 6 year olds.Yeah ... but he didn't say look 13. He said are. And, officially, even those Chinese 6 year olds are 16. :D

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Thinking about it, after losing to the Frenchies today, it's only a matter of time before the US loses our stranglehold on the top of the medal leaderboard. We only beat China by 10 in 2008, and even then, the Chinese whooped our ass in gold medals. We only led by 11 over China in 2004 (beat China by 4 golds). In 2000, we beat Russia by 8 and had 5 more golds than Russia. We haven't kicked ass in the medals since 1996, when we beat Germany by 36 medals and bested Russia by 18 golds.

This year, we're already trailing China by one total medal and trailing them by three gold medals. Men's soccer failed to qualify, so there's one medal that we won't even have a chance at that we had a chance at in previous years.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah ... but he didn't say look 13. He said are. And, officially, even those Chinese 6 year olds are 16. :D

That's what the Chinese want you to think.

CLW
07-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Thinking about it, after losing to the Frenchies today, it's only a matter of time before the US loses our stranglehold on the top of the medal leaderboard. We only beat China by 10 in 2008, and even then, the Chinese whooped our ass in gold medals. We only led by 11 over China in 2004 (beat China by 4 golds). In 2000, we beat Russia by 8 and had 5 more golds than Russia. We haven't kicked ass in the medals since 1996, when we beat Germany by 36 medals and bested Russia by 18 golds.

This year, we're already trailing China by one total medal and trailing them by three gold medals. Men's soccer failed to qualify, so there's one medal that we won't even have a chance at that we had a chance at in previous years.

That's what I'm worried about. Personally, I think its Obama's FAULT! :nod:

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I vote for more women's field hockey.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/LW0F3sXVDxQIcqs7lu9RRg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00NDM7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/388/2012/07/29/89084526-jpg_202716.jpg

That's what the Chinese want you to think.'Twas my point.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 04:12 PM
'Twas my point.

http://siliconangle.com/files/2011/08/homer-doh.jpg

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Nah, it's all Bush's fault. :D

souljahbill
07-29-2012, 04:20 PM

Nah, it's all Bush's fault. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jaymo76
07-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Awesome story on the 35 year old Nigerian single skulls rower.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/boating/news/article/nigerien-rower-roared-home-olympic-rowing-regatta.html

I watched the race earlier and it was awesome to see the fans cheering him on.

JBHuskers
07-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Mmmmm diver's asses.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Mmmmm diver's asses.

I sure hope you're talking about female divers.

JBHuskers
07-29-2012, 06:29 PM
I sure hope you're talking about female divers.

Well...thats what is currently on TV. I guess we know what ur thinking about if you had to question it :D

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Well...thats what is currently on TV. I guess we know what ur thinking about if you had to question it :D

Well, I wasn't watching Olympic stuff when I commented (and I'm still not, currently watching a movie), so I had no idea what was currently on TV.

JBHuskers
07-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, I wasn't watching Olympic stuff when I commented (and I'm still not, currently watching a movie), so I had no idea what was currently on TV.

More like you were staring at male divers ass :D

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 07:03 PM

More like you were staring at male divers ass :D
Sounds like deflection to cover something up, to me ...

:D

JBHuskers
07-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Dan Hicks with the term of the night. "Breaststroke Queen"

CLW
07-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Man we BLOW at this Olympics. I didn't realize our diving had stunk up the joint and we have only won 1 medal in like the last 3-4 Olympics. Hopefully, our track team picks up the slack otherwise China is going to blow us out of the water.

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Man we BLOW at this Olympics.Only if you, like Matthew Perry in that ad, view 2nd place as being a "loser" :D

CLW
07-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Only if you, like Matthew Perry in that ad, view 2nd place as being a "loser" :D

http://youtu.be/c9yiwxfLWmk?t=37m26s

"Second place is just the first loser" - Dale Earnhardt FTW! 37m26s in :nod:

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 09:55 PM
"There are no points for second place" ~ Top Gun

Still though, we don't "blow".

Well, except maybe the athletes themselves (http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/athletes-prep-for-sex-in-london-village-071812) ...

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Who needs YouPorn when you have women's diving and gymnastics last night :D

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Women's beach volleyball is on right now. And unlike the cunts on Team USA last night, Brazil and Germany are showing the skin. :nod:

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Good time for a new smiley :D

http://www.96lt4.com/smileys/hump.gif

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Watching women's water polo, Australia has some dirty players, and I like it. :D Seems like every time an Italian player gets the ball, an Australian player tries to choke hold and drag her under the water crocodile style.

Kingpin32
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Who needs YouPorn when you have women's diving and gymnastics last night :D

Careful, I'm sure some of those gymnasts were 10.

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Careful, I'm sure some of those gymnasts were 10.

We'll the rule is 16, so we'll say they were.

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 10:58 AM
We'll the rule is 16, so we'll say they were.

"I swear officer, she told me she was 18."

morsdraconis
07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
:smh:

I can't believe you people watch the fuckin' olympics... Talk about trash television.

CLW
07-30-2012, 11:11 AM

I can't believe you people watch the fuckin' olympics... Talk about trash television.

If it somewhat resembles a sport and someone is representing the stars and stripes in a contest I'm interested. :nod:

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Well, in my defense, I had it on the other TV while playing Tiger Woods on the main TV.

I've yet to give my full attention to it :D

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Dana Vollmer :nod:

http://www.thefablife.com/files/2012/07/dana_vollmer_main.jpg

CLW
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Men's gymnastics team is CHOKING - DEAD LAST right now in the team final after qualifying 1st. :smh:

psusnoop
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM

http://i.imgur.com/CQxCF.gif

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
:hump:

CLW
07-30-2012, 01:01 PM
China's dominance is continuing on Day 3. I guess we better all start learning Manderin because our fall is apparently going to include sports in addition to economics and politics. Nuke Bejing anyone?

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 01:13 PM
China's dominance is continuing on Day 3. I guess we better all start learning Manderin because our fall is apparently going to include sports in addition to economics and politics. Nuke Bejing anyone?

I'm gonna go join Jaymo in Canada. :D

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
The Faces of Olympic Diving :D :D :D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/facesofolympicdiving.jpg

jaymo76
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm gonna go join Jaymo in Canada. :D

Done deal Smooth. We're more than happy to have you. Just recite the Joe Speech and you're in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg

P.S. You must also accept to winning very few medals and excelling in fourth place Olympic finishes.

CLW
07-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Done deal Smooth. We're more than happy to have you. Just recite the Joe Speech and you're in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg

P.S. You must also accept to winning very few medals and excelling in fourth place Olympic finishes.

And waiting a year to see an M.D. after an intial cancer diagnosis if your deemed worthy by big brother but that's just what i've heard from my father who visits canadian farmers every year who knows.

SCClassof93
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
And waiting a year to see an M.D. after an intial cancer diagnosis if your deemed worthy by big brother but that's just what i've heard from my father who visits canadian farmers every year who knows.

It is O.k. CLW they can come across the border for timely, market driven, excellent care, oops wait a minute, where will Canadians go now :fp:

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Better not talk bad about NBC's Olympic coverage on Twitter.

#NBCFail: Journalist at The Independent has Twitter account suspended after complaining about NBC's coverage of London 2012 Olympics (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nbcfail-journalist-at-the-independent-has-twitter-account-suspended-after-complaining-about-nbcs-coverage-of-london-2012-olympics-7987906.html)

CLW
07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
It is O.k. CLW they can come across the border for timely, market driven, excellent care, oops wait a minute, where will Canadians go now :fp:

Yeah my father goes Goose hunting up in Canada every year and this family of farmers allows them to hunt on their property. They were PISSED off about Obamacare telling my father they ALWAYS travel to the states for anything remotely troubling. It's all fine and dandy for your run of the mill check up but when the shit hits the fan you fly south just like the geese. Now? Who knows.

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Better not talk bad about NBC's Olympic coverage on Twitter.

#NBCFail: Journalist at The Independent has Twitter account suspended after complaining about NBC's coverage of London 2012 Olympics (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nbcfail-journalist-at-the-independent-has-twitter-account-suspended-after-complaining-about-nbcs-coverage-of-london-2012-olympics-7987906.html)

Laaaaame.

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Laaaaame.

Hell, they've been fucking up one after another. They completely chopped out part of the Opening Ceremony that was a tribute to the 7/7 terrorist victims over in London and decided to show a Michael Phelps interview instead. They never even acknowledged the 7/7 tribute until they started getting called out about it online and from other media. Their excuse? Because they didn't think their viewers wanted to watch a terrorist tribute that didn't involve Americans. :fp:

Seriously, ESPN or someone needs to ball up and shell out some fucking money to take the Olympics away from NBC. They don't deserve to ever broadcast another fucking Olympics.

steelerfan
07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
I enjoy a good "terrorist tribute" no matter who the victims were. Hell, I enjoy them more when no Americans die. :nod:

Perhaps they can wipe out some of the closing ceremonies for an interview with Brian Kelly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah, there should be a victims in the middle there. :D

jaymo76
07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah my father goes Goose hunting up in Canada every year and this family of farmers allows them to hunt on their property. They were PISSED off about Obamacare telling my father they ALWAYS travel to the states for anything remotely troubling. It's all fine and dandy for your run of the mill check up but when the shit hits the fan you fly south just like the geese. Now? Who knows.

Oh I'm not going to tell you that the Cdn medicare system is outstanding but I'm also not going to tell you that it's awful. There are a portion of people who pay extra for quicker service at private clinics/practises, etc. Personally I have no problem with people who wish to do that. There are also many govt programmes that will basically pay to fly you to the USA if Cdn specialists can't do the job. The biggest issue in Canada is WAIT TIME. These can be several months and it sucks bigtime for the patients. Rural areas and small cities (especially on the prairies) have it tougher than the big cities. The Fed govt is trying to reduce wait times the best they can but they are also trying to reduce spending and you can't have both of those things at once.

My cousin is an MD in Saskatoon and she has said that funding cuts and govt beauracracy really hamper the system. If Canada was to adopt a hyrid public/private system I had no problem with that. I am cognizant of the lower socio-economic groups that cannot afford to pay for healthcare but I also appreciate that the affluent or those who don't want to wait should be able to access some pay for use services.

JeffHCross
07-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Done deal Smooth. We're more than happy to have you. Just recite the Joe Speech and you're in.Alternates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJvrD80nJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu0NIBAUz5w

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 08:17 PM
WOW Missy Franklin is only 17? Insane.

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Oh I'm not going to tell you that the Cdn medicare system is outstanding but I'm also not going to tell you that it's awful. There are a portion of people who pay extra for quicker service at private clinics/practises, etc. Personally I have no problem with people who wish to do that. There are also many govt programmes that will basically pay to fly you to the USA if Cdn specialists can't do the job. The biggest issue in Canada is WAIT TIME. These can be several months and it sucks bigtime for the patients. Rural areas and small cities (especially on the prairies) have it tougher than the big cities. The Fed govt is trying to reduce wait times the best they can but they are also trying to reduce spending and you can't have both of those things at once.

My cousin is an MD in Saskatoon and she has said that funding cuts and govt beauracracy really hamper the system. If Canada was to adopt a hyrid public/private system I had no problem with that. I am cognizant of the lower socio-economic groups that cannot afford to pay for healthcare but I also appreciate that the affluent or those who don't want to wait should be able to access some pay for use services.

Whereas here, you pay out the ass in premiums, then when you get sick and need a procedure or surgery done, they refuse your claims or tell you that they won't cover the costs of the surgery/procedure, then you go bankrupt and lose your house trying to pay the medical bills to stay alive. Or in the case of home insurance, the storms that wrecked the eastern half of the country at the end of June, a bunch of houses suffered hail damage in a city here in NW Ohio. All had Allstate, they filed claims for hail damage to their roof, Allstate denied the claims, saying it wasn't hail damage and having an "expert" say it wasn't hail damage, but that a dozen people were all walking around on their roofs and all caused their own roof damage. You pay out the ass in premiums for everything, and now that the insurance companies have your money, they say 'fuck you' to you when you need that money for medical procedures, weather damage, or whatever else.

JeffHCross
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Or, you pay premiums for things you never, ever, ever use.

Like me and doctors in general for the last five years :D

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Or, you pay premiums for things you never, ever, ever use.

Like me and doctors in general for the last five years :D

That too. I don't even remember the last time I went to see my doctor or was even in a hospital for something, it's been so long. Still paying premiums.

ram29jackson
07-30-2012, 10:28 PM

EDIT 4: Why are the Asian countries so good at the "reaction time" sports (e.g. Badminton, Ping-Pong), but can't compete athletically in so many other sports? It's an interesting observation.

shorter fast twitch muscles

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 10:29 PM
And just when you thought it might be over, NBC fucks up yet AGAIN. :fp:

NBC Runs Today Promo Spoiling Outcome Of Race They Were About To Air (http://deadspin.com/5930359/nbc-runs-today-promo-spoiling-outcome-of-race-they-were-about-to-air?comment=51415730)

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 10:44 PM
And just when you thought it might be over, NBC fucks up yet AGAIN. :fp:

NBC Runs Today Promo Spoiling Outcome Of Race They Were About To Air (http://deadspin.com/5930359/nbc-runs-today-promo-spoiling-outcome-of-race-they-were-about-to-air?comment=51415730)

:D @ this tweet

Can't we just let BBC America broadcast the Olympics, in actual Greenwich Median Time?

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Who choked harder? Men US gymnastics or Japan's?

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 10:51 PM
US Men. They qualified first, and then finish fifth, pretty much never actually in contention, when it counts.

jaymo76
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Who choked harder? Men US gymnastics or Japan's?

Congrats to the Brits though. A BRONZE in a sport in which they are irrelevant. Well done. Feel bad for Ukraine. You get a medal and then you don't.

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Congrats to the Brits though. A BRONZE in a sport in which they are irrelevant. Well done. Feel bad for Ukraine. You get a medal and then you don't.

Then you get a medal and then you don't again :D

CLW
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Apparently the old saying of dont send a woman to do a man's job needs to be reversed. U.S. women take team gold CRUSHING the commies from China and Russia!

SmoothPancakes
07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I can't wait to see what NBC does to fuck up the broadcast of that tonight. I'm gonna guess they'll stick with their usual of prematurely giving the results in their news broadcast before the Olympic coverage.

CLW
07-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Men's water polo team lookin' good. Our goalie is AWESOME. Moses FTW! :nod:

baseballplyrmvp
07-31-2012, 08:45 PM
great beach volleyball article (http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/olympics-decoding-beach-volleyball-s-hand-signals-slideshow/spain-s-liliana-fernandez-steiner-signals-the-play-to-her-teammate-spain-s-elsa-baquerizo-mcmillan-photo-1343745068.html#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Folympics-decoding-beach-volleyball-s-hand-signals-slideshow%252Fspain-s-liliana-fernandez-steiner-signals-the-play-to-her-teammate-spain-s-elsa-baquerizo-mcmillan-photo-1343745068.html)

:nod: oh yeah

jaymo76
07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
great beach volleyball article (http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/olympics-decoding-beach-volleyball-s-hand-signals-slideshow/spain-s-liliana-fernandez-steiner-signals-the-play-to-her-teammate-spain-s-elsa-baquerizo-mcmillan-photo-1343745068.html#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Folympics-decoding-beach-volleyball-s-hand-signals-slideshow%252Fspain-s-liliana-fernandez-steiner-signals-the-play-to-her-teammate-spain-s-elsa-baquerizo-mcmillan-photo-1343745068.html)

:nod: oh yeah

Very well.... written...

jaymo76
07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I saw this in the local paper and figured everyone must "read it"...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Photos+sexiest+women+London+2012+Olympics/6814079/story.html

HWill
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
I saw this in the local paper and figured everyone must "read it"...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Photos+sexiest+women+London+2012+Olympics/6814079/story.html

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1268566/awwyeah.gif

JeffHCross
07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Here's a "we also recommend", Jaymo:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canada+rugby+women+naked/6967014/story.html

CLW
07-31-2012, 10:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--badminton-tournament-marred-by-teams-trying-to-purposefully-lose-a-match.html

baseballplyrmvp
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Here's a "we also recommend", Jaymo:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canada+rugby+women+naked/6967014/story.html

*ordered*

jaymo76
07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
While we are all sharing...

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/olympics-olympic-cheerleaders-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Folympics-olympic-cheerleaders-slideshow%252Fdancers-take-shelter-from-the-sun-under-a-parasol-whilst-rehearsing-their-performances-for-the-photo-1343786087.html

JeffHCross
07-31-2012, 11:35 PM
While we are all sharing...

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/olympics-olympic-cheerleaders-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Folympics-olympic-cheerleaders-slideshow%252Fdancers-take-shelter-from-the-sun-under-a-parasol-whilst-rehearsing-their-performances-for-the-photo-1343786087.htmlI approve of this message!

CLW
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
4 teams DQ's drom badminton for throwing games

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--eight-badminton-players-booted-from-olympics-for-throwing-matches.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--eight-badminton-players-booted-from-olympics-for-throwing-matches.html)

JBHuskers
08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
4 teams DQ's drom badminton for throwing games

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--eight-badminton-players-booted-from-olympics-for-throwing-matches.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--eight-badminton-players-booted-from-olympics-for-throwing-matches.html)

What's the world coming to? :D

CLW
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
What's the world coming to? :D

Yeah the next think you know Turbo Tax Cheat Timmy will be asking our Olympic medalists to pay a tax bill for winning medals for their efforts in London. Oh wait...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/go-gold-pay-irs_649187.html

JBHuskers
08-02-2012, 08:01 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone took this:

And made it into this:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/divers.jpg

SCClassof93
08-02-2012, 08:32 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone took this:

And made it into this:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/divers.jpg

I see a sequel to the Kama Pootra coming now :nod:

JBHuskers
08-02-2012, 09:01 AM
So i guess there is an uproar of an exposed boob in women's water polo :D :fp:

CLW
08-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Ratings should spike now. Lovin' the water polo action.

morsdraconis
08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/08/nbc-airs-water-polo-wardrobe-malfunction.html

There's also a link from a "wardrobe malfunction" from the 2008 women's water polo Getty's photo stream as well.

baseballplyrmvp
08-02-2012, 09:46 AM
they should make stripper pole swinging an olympic sport.

judges? http://www.x-plane.fr/images/smilies/Pascal/09_10.gif

gschwendt
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Surprise surprise... boxing is dirty, even at the Olympics.
http://deadspin.com/5931226/was-this-disgraceful-olympic-boxing-match-fixed

CLW
08-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm surprised Dana White hasn't pushed to bring MMA as an olympic sport. NOONE cares about boxing anymore (at least in the states) I presume the world also follows MMA pretty closely as fighters from all around the world compete.

On a side note, Men's water polo team defeated England today.

JBHuskers
08-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm surprised Dana White hasn't pushed to bring MMA as an olympic sport. NOONE cares about boxing anymore (at least in the states) I presume the world also follows MMA pretty closely as fighters from all around the world compete.

On a side note, Men's water polo team defeated England today.

:+1:

And I've been unable to avoid spoilers today :D

CLW
08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
:+1:

And I've been unable to avoid spoilers today :D

It's become nearly impossible to unless you totally ignore Facebook; Twitter; E-mail; TGT; Virtually ANY website; etc...

JBHuskers
08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
It's become nearly impossible to unless you totally ignore Facebook; Twitter; E-mail; TGT; Virtually ANY website; etc...

Don't forget the ESPN mobile app notifications. That's the big one for me. I keep trying to clear them without reading, but not doing a good job of that today :D

CLW
08-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I know allot of you prob HATE :Duke: and Coach K but he has FUNDAMENTALLY TRANSFORMED USA basketball and brought it back from an And 1 Mixtape tour of Bronze medals and brought it back to a DOMINANT force (even with a number of our best players out hurt).

Up 77 right now against Nigeria.

JeffHCross
08-02-2012, 07:29 PM
It's become nearly impossible to unless you totally ignore Facebook; Twitter; E-mail; TGT; Virtually ANY website; etc...And Google News (which is on my homepage)

JeffHCross
08-02-2012, 07:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgpzKJXGNbc

psuexv
08-03-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm not sifting through 8 pages to see if this was posted yet so apology in advance if it's a duplicate :)

This is a heck of a play though.

http://deadspin.com/5931494/this-is-the-coolest-volleyball-play-weve-ever-seen?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

psuexv
08-03-2012, 09:31 AM
LOL, Lego replays of the Olympics

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/series/brick-by-brick

JBHuskers
08-03-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm a dirty old man, I don't care. Those Russian gymnasts are cute :D

HWill
08-03-2012, 09:26 PM
http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/reuters-dong-headline.jpg

JBHuskers
08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Double Dong!

SmoothPancakes
08-03-2012, 10:05 PM
That's one talented Dong.

jaymo76
08-03-2012, 10:55 PM
trampoline as an olympic sport... :fp:

SmoothPancakes
08-04-2012, 05:24 AM

According to ESPN, Poker is a sport. They should put Poker in the Olympics. Each country wagers whatever their country is worth. Costa Rica is all in with 15 coconuts.

jaymo76
08-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Eating my words... Canada wins gold. :blush:

skipwondah33
08-05-2012, 04:30 PM
May be just me...but I doubt it.

Slokova from the CZE Beach volleyball team is nice :)...very

jaymo76
08-05-2012, 04:41 PM
May be just me...but I doubt it.

Slokova from the CZE Beach volleyball team is nice :)...very

documentation required.

morsdraconis
08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I think he means these two young ladies (NSFW):

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/slukova-beach-volleyball-37.jpg

skipwondah33
08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
::): yep!

Oh there are more good goodies too. Man watching beach volleyball those ladies have some rather nice bodies

JeffHCross
08-05-2012, 10:34 PM
They're athletes, there's going to be plenty of sports where the women look good :D

skipwondah33
08-06-2012, 07:23 AM
They're athletes, there's going to be plenty of sports where the women look good :DYeah but I've never particularly paid attention to women's volleyball athletes ever lol..

Nor seeing women from other countries like this

psusnoop
08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm a fan!!

CLW
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
No Canadians allowed in this thread now as OUR women take on the Socialists from up north in the semi-final in women's soccer.

SmoothPancakes
08-06-2012, 01:48 PM
"NBC has a 6 hour delay for events 3000 miles away. NASA has a 15 minute delay for an event 150,000,000 miles away." - @amattn

JBHuskers
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
"NBC has a 6 hour delay for events 3000 miles away. NASA has a 15 minute delay for an event 150,000,000 miles away." - @amattn

And ESPN just likes to be dicks and spoil it.

SmoothPancakes
08-06-2012, 01:50 PM
And ESPN just likes to be dicks and spoil it.

I sure as hell would if I was ESPN, someone else was broadcasting the Olympics, and those fucktards refused to show every event live. :D

skipwondah33
08-06-2012, 01:59 PM
"NBC has a 6 hour delay for events 3000 miles away. NASA has a 15 minute delay for an event 150,000,000 miles away." - @amattnNASA's equipment=$100,000,000+, a bunch of very, very smart people who have planned for 10+ years to do that single event.

NBC's equipment=far less than I'd imagine

Nonetheless still hilarious lol

skipwondah33
08-06-2012, 02:01 PM
documentation required.http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/slukova-beach-volleyball-23.jpg

JBHuskers
08-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I sure as hell would if I was ESPN, someone else was broadcasting the Olympics, and those fucktards refused to show every event live. :D

There may come a time when ABC gets it. Payback will be a bitch.

JBHuskers
08-06-2012, 02:30 PM
http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/slukova-beach-volleyball-23.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/GIFS/jackjackoff.gif

morsdraconis
08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
NASA's equipment=$100,000,000+, a bunch of very, very smart people who have planned for 10+ years to do that single event.

Nonetheless still hilarious lol

Actually, you'd be surprised how little the flight cost. NASA's entire budget is a percent of a percent of the total US Economic Budget (still in the neighborhood of several hundred million dollars, mind you, but still).

skipwondah33
08-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Actually, you'd be surprised how little the flight cost. NASA's entire budget is a percent of a percent of the total US Economic Budget (still in the neighborhood of several hundred million dollars, mind you, but still).Ahhhh didn't that Rover they just sent to Mars cost upwards of 1.6 billion dollars?

psuexv
08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
There's also that fact that they are broadcasting the Olympics when people will actually be home to watch them.

morsdraconis
08-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Ahhhh didn't that Rover they just sent to Mars cost upwards of 1.6 billion dollars?

Actually, according to this report (http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/costs-curiosity-rover-mars?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+APM_Marketplace+(APM%3A+Marke tplace)), it cost 2.5 billion to build and fuel the expedition. Granted, that was probably paid for over 10+ years.

Surprisingly, apparently I was wrong about their budget, while still a percent of a percent of the US overall budget, their budget is in the neighborhood of 17 billion or so, though Obama is talking about cutting them down to 12 billion.

skipwondah33
08-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Actually, according to this report (http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/costs-curiosity-rover-mars?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+APM_Marketplace+%28APM%3A+Mar ketplace%29), it cost 2.5 billion to build and fuel the expedition. Granted, that was probably paid for over 10+ years.

Surprisingly, apparently I was wrong about their budget, while still a percent of a percent of the US overall budget, their budget is in the neighborhood of 17 billion or so, though Obama is talking about cutting them down to 12 billion.Well yeah I figured they paid for it over the course of time...and likely took double that to plan.

My point was just that while that joke was very funny, the two can't be related lol.

Nonetheless in this day and age with the media and such one would think the time gap wouldn't be so big.

And E has a great point. Was anyone complaining when the Games' were held in Sydney? Talk about a delay. It's already Tuesday there haha

SmoothPancakes
08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
And E has a great point. Was anyone complaining when the Games' were held in Sydney? Talk about a delay. It's already Tuesday there haha

No Facebook, no Twitter, no websites streaming live video of the Olympics, no Olympic results being posted on millions of websites literally seconds after the event is completed. Talk about the two not being related.

JBHuskers
08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
No Facebook, no Twitter, no websites streaming live video of the Olympics, no Olympic results being posted on millions of websites literally seconds after the event is completed. Talk about the two not being related.

No ESPN smartphone updates either. That the #1 culprit for me.

CLW
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Chrony Capitalism 4 European Socialism 3. Just think if we were a free market capitalism country how good we would be. :nod:

jaymo76
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Chrony Capitalism 4 European Socialism 3. Just think if we were a free market capitalism country how good we would be. :nod:

To be fair, should the score line not be Canada 3 USA 2 norweigan ref who GAVE YOU THE WIN 1??? Call me a homer all you want but even you need to admit the in the last fiftenn minutes of extra time three huge blown calls were made and itturned that game completely. Even the crowd, which was very pro US was fully booing after the penalty kick was awarded. To see a game that exciting be determined by an official is just sad. Anyways, rant over. Best of luck in the "gold" medal match. Hopefully you get the same official. Okay I'm off to bask in my socialist paradise. Cheers!

JeffHCross
08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
NASA's equipment=$100,000,000+, a bunch of very, very smart people who have planned for 10+ years to do that single event.
Nonetheless still hilarious lolAs since discussed, your $100 million estimate was a little off ;)

But for what it's worth, NBC paid $1.18 billion for the 2012 games. So while it's 50% less than the Rover, that's still a lot smaller of a cap than I would have thought.

There may come a time when ABC gets it. Payback will be a bitch.Not anytime soon. NBC has it sewn up until 2020.

And E has a great point. Was anyone complaining when the Games' were held in Sydney? Talk about a delay. It's already Tuesday there hahaWhile Sydney and China are obviously further away, the time difference to those countries actually allowed some events to be shown live in primetime. London is close enough that nothing could possibly be live in primetime in America. 2000 was also the first time that NBC used its cable channels to broadcast any of the Summer Games, so there was a fair amount of complaining about that, even though it added additional air time.

Truthfully, I think Beijing just spoiled us. Seeing Phelps live in primetime was a unique experience.

And hell, if we're going to talk about NBC tape-delaying events ... Miracle on Ice? (was ABC, of course, but still ...)

skipwondah33
08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
As since discussed, your $100 million estimate was a little off ;)

But for what it's worth, NBC paid $1.18 billion for the 2012 games. So while it's 50% less than the Rover, that's still a lot smaller of a cap than I would have thought.

Not anytime soon. NBC has it sewn up until 2020.

While Sydney and China are obviously further away, the time difference to those countries actually allowed some events to be shown live in primetime. London is close enough that nothing could possibly be live in primetime in America. 2000 was also the first time that NBC used its cable channels to broadcast any of the Summer Games, so there was a fair amount of complaining about that, even though it added additional air time.

Truthfully, I think Beijing just spoiled us. Seeing Phelps live in primetime was a unique experience.

And hell, if we're going to talk about NBC tape-delaying events ... Miracle on Ice? (was ABC, of course, but still ...)Ah I knew it was more than I posted I just wanted to put a sort of big number up there for relational purposes.

Either way obviously I knew NASA puts more money into any of their missions than NBC puts into their equipment and/or broadcasting these Olympics

CLW
08-06-2012, 07:34 PM
To be fair, should the score line not be Canada 3 USA 2 norweigan ref who GAVE YOU THE WIN 1??? Call me a homer all you want but even you need to admit the in the last fiftenn minutes of extra time three huge blown calls were made and itturned that game completely. Even the crowd, which was very pro US was fully booing after the penalty kick was awarded. To see a game that exciting be determined by an official is just sad. Anyways, rant over. Best of luck in the "gold" medal match. Hopefully you get the same official. Okay I'm off to bask in my socialist paradise. Cheers!

You say "blown calls" I say HUGE Canadian CHOKE JOB! The Goalie held the ball for longer than allowed allowing the free kick. Then the girl in the box lunges at the ball and turns to her side/back instead of facing the shot and blocking it with her head/chest exposing her hand/arm/side ONLY to the ball leaving the official to make a tough call. It could have gone either way but a solid argument could be made that when she turned she did so to play the ball with her arm.

Unless you want to admit that Canadian chicks are scared of balls on their chests? :nod:

JeffHCross
08-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Either way obviously I knew NASA puts more money into any of their missions than NBC puts into their equipment and/or broadcasting these OlympicsTrue, though it's a lot closer (relatively) than I would have thought.

And we're comparing Apples and Oranges anyway. If NBC wanted to air those events live, they could and would do so. It's choice, not technology.

SmoothPancakes
08-06-2012, 11:08 PM
True, though it's a lot closer (relatively) than I would have thought.

And we're comparing Apples and Oranges anyway. If NBC wanted to air those events live, they could and would do so. It's choice, not technology.

Which is what annoys the hell out of me. They could show every single goddamn event live and STILL do their stupid ass jerking themselves off prime time shit at night. But NOOOOOOO. Fuck NBC.

JeffHCross
08-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Inspired by a certain TGT-er?

http://leasticoulddo.com/comic/20120807
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20120807.gif

skipwondah33
08-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Just before Sanya Richards-Ross medal ceremony for winning the Gold, Usain Bolt was in the process of an interview. Just before the National Anthem started playing ....

http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/5867

....He pauses the interview until after it finishes playing out of respect

:up:

JBHuskers
08-08-2012, 12:07 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/08/08/0808-gijs-van-hoecke-pcn-3.jpg

For being an Olympic athlete, Belgian cyclist Gijs van Hoecke sure needed help keeping his balance as he attempted to leave a London club on Tuesday night.

Looking obliterated, the 20-year-old was carried out of the Mahiki nightclub and literally dragged into a waiting taxi by his pals.

With his events over, Gijs is all about celebrating not winning any medals.

morsdraconis
08-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Who cares? The kid is having a good time where it's legally applicable for him to have one.

JBHuskers
08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
It's just hilarious how :sf: he is.

CLW
08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah its become OBVIOUS in the last 8 years that when the athletes are done competing its a complete drunken orgy.

SmoothPancakes
08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah its become OBVIOUS in the last 8 years that when the athletes are done competing its a complete drunken orgy.

I'm cool with that. :D

CLW
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm cool with that. :D

They can do what they want. I'd just love to see the stories of all the athletes getting STDs from their olympic "performances"

skipwondah33
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Been really cool watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh dominate their way to the Gold this Olympics. I've known of them and seen a few matches in the past but I really watched the Women's Volleyball this go around.

CLW
08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Been really cool watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh dominate their way to the Gold this Olympics. I've known of them and seen a few matches in the past but I really watched the Women's Volleyball this go around.

Meh I think they actually lost a Set this time (and not to their fellow Americans). UNACCEPTABLE! :smh: However, Capitalism appears to finally taken a decent lead against Communism! :nod:

skipwondah33
08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Meh I think they actually lost a Set this time (and not to their fellow Americans). UNACCEPTABLE! :smh: However, Capitalism appears to finally taken a decent lead against Communism! :nod:Did they? I didn't think so. They won against China 22-20, 22-20. Thought that was their closest matches

JBHuskers
08-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Did they? I didn't think so. They won against China 22-20, 22-20. Thought that was their closest matches

No they lost a set about 4 matches ago.

CLW
08-08-2012, 04:34 PM
No they lost a set about 4 matches ago.

Yeah from what I recall it was during pool play. It was their first (and now only) set they lost during their olympic run.

skipwondah33
08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Ah it was 21-straight matches they won.

Still impressive

CLW
08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Looks like after all of the Communist/subjective sports finished the Chinese finally fizzled out. Stars and Stripes should easily stay on top of the standings from here on out.

ram29jackson
08-09-2012, 04:51 PM
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/listoly.png

SmoothPancakes
08-09-2012, 08:07 PM
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/listoly.png

:confused: :fp:

JeffHCross
08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
wat?

JBHuskers
08-10-2012, 07:57 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/GIFS/capt-picard-facepalm.gif

SCClassof93
08-10-2012, 08:43 AM
http://callofduty.4players.de/uploader/bild.php/979,facepalmBOSWO.gif

baseballplyrmvp
08-10-2012, 09:16 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/675b88.jpg

souljahbill
08-10-2012, 09:53 AM
*insert facepalm/disappointed gif here*

gschwendt
08-10-2012, 09:56 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lymbq12qhc1qfgosto1_500.gif

JBHuskers
08-10-2012, 10:00 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/GIFS/coleman_wtf.gif

SCClassof93
08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lymbq12qhc1qfgosto1_500.gif

http://www.faltariamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/facepalm.gif?9d7bd4

CLW
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
When did the Olympics thread turn into the GIF thread?

souljahbill
08-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Check the posts before the gifs

JBHuskers
08-10-2012, 12:52 PM

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Diving+Fail.+German+olympic+diver+Steven+Feck+fail s_fe681d_3986105.gif

psuexv
08-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Great Daily Show bit on the men's rowing

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-8-2012/dick-s-sporting-wood

JeffHCross
08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Man we BLOW at this Olympics.By the way, we won the Olympics.

I didn't realize our diving had stunk up the jointhttp://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/david-boudia-olympics.jpg

baseballplyrmvp
08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
mens basketball won the gold this morning....capping an end to Coach K's 61-1 Olympic coaching record. :clap:

CLW
08-12-2012, 08:55 PM
By the way, we won the Olympics.
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/david-boudia-olympics.jpg

That's just because Coach K took over the ENTIRE Olympic Team and told them we lose your ass is swimming back or worse we send you to a Chinese labor camp. :nod:

steelerfan
08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
That's just because Coach K took over the ENTIRE Olympic Team and told them we lose your ass is swimming back or worse we send you to a Chinese labor camp. :nod:

jaymo76
08-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Credit to the Brits. They did a heck of a job both in hosting and competing. When Vcr had the Winter Olympics in 2010 I wasn't very supportive. However, when I saw how powerful it was for the local community/country, I really changed my tune. I still clearly remember every gold medal won by Cdns' and remember exactly where I was for the golden goal by Crosby.

P.S. Great closing ceremonies London!

steelerfan
08-13-2012, 12:17 AM
remember exactly where I was for the golden goal by Crosby.

So do I. I was glad it was Crosby, if the US had to lose.

psusnoop
08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbGndLHwN4

SmoothPancakes
08-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Yep, that pretty much perfectly sums up NBC's commentators. It's like they were being paid for each and every negative remark they gave. It was worse during the actual coverage.

JeffHCross
08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
8 more years of it, yay!

steelerfan
08-14-2012, 12:09 AM
So, would it make you guys feel better if they were all like Jon Gruden and constantly blew sunshine up everyone's ass? This isn't Fun, Fair, Positive Soccer.

CLW
08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Communists admit Chrony Capitalism is tough to beat:

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-response-2012-olympics-american-physique-tough-beat-181215661.html

psusnoop
08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
So, would it make you guys feel better if they were all like Jon Gruden and constantly blew sunshine up everyone's ass? This isn't Fun, Fair, Positive Soccer.

So life isn't full of sunshine and rainbows :dunno: :D:D

JeffHCross
08-14-2012, 08:32 PM
So, would it make you guys feel better if they were all like Jon Gruden and constantly blew sunshine up everyone's ass? This isn't Fun, Fair, Positive Soccer.I'd just feel better if it wasn't labeled "NBC". I actually didn't notice too much of the negativity, besides when Jordyn Weber didn't make the all-around and I thought the commentators were overly harsh.

Seemed to me like they just rushed to judgement too much. No "It's going to be tough", and too much "He has no chance". Conclusions, rather than possibilities. That annoys me no matter the occasion (including here!).

steelerfan
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I'd just feel better if it wasn't labeled "NBC". I actually didn't notice too much of the negativity, besides when Jordyn Weber didn't make the all-around and I thought the commentators were overly harsh.

Seemed to me like they just rushed to judgement too much. No "It's going to be tough", and too much "He has no chance". Conclusions, rather than possibilities. That annoys me no matter the occasion (including here!).

Fair enough.

souljahbill
08-15-2012, 05:31 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/63bcbd05-7a98-c0f2.jpg

JBHuskers
08-15-2012, 07:55 AM
No way Sonic beats The Flash.

morsdraconis
08-15-2012, 07:57 AM
No way Sonic beats The Flash.

But Sonic is the fastest thing alive. The song says so and the song can't be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LntDLGKXAFI

psuexv
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Ummmm... Superman is faster than a speeding bullet, no way he is last or 2nd to last

CLW
08-15-2012, 10:42 AM
This shizzle PISSED ME OFF:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/10/opinion/navarrette-olympics-flags/index.html