PDA

View Full Version : OUYA

psuexv
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Can't believe we don't have thread for this yet.

Apparently they are now partnering with Onlive so this could get interesting.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/07/27/ouya-secures-onlive-partnership-teases-controller-design-as-it-passes-5-5m-on-kickstarter/?awesm=tnw.to_g2WV&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Spreadus&utm_campaign=social%20media

OUYA, the wildly successful Kickstarter project that recently passed $5.5M in funding, has just announced a partnership with cloud gaming company OnLive, a service which delivers popular gaming titles on-demand over the Internet. This, at the very least, will guarantee games will be readily available from the start, in addition to OUYA’s plans on working directly with developers.

If you haven’t heard of OnLive yet, you can think of it as the Netflix of on-demand gaming. The service first launched on PCs, Macs an TVs, and then expaned to iOS and Android in December of last year. Here’s a tease from OUYA’s announcement:

According to OnLive, this partnership will bring “hundreds of top-tier games” from 80+ publishers onto the OUYA console — games that will also be playable on a tablet while you’re on the go. Instant demos (lasting up to 30 minutes) will also be available for nearly every game in OnLive’s library, including the likes of Ravaged and Darksiders II.

JBHuskers
07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Thought this was spam at first seeing the title of the thread :D

psuexv
07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Thought this was spam at first seeing the title of the thread :D

The social media/gaming all knowing person that you are didn't know about Ouya?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh6Ji_6Wg9c

psuexv
07-27-2012, 12:45 PM
http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/07/image-141148-full-520x280.jpg

skipwondah33
07-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I started to post this a few weeks ago but figured no one would pay attention to it. They obliterated their goal in no time.

Found it interesting and even thought of pre-ordering for it. I'd want one of the Dev kit ones but they were all sold out and I believe go for over $700.

psuexv
07-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I started to post this a few weeks ago but figured no one would pay attention to it. They obliterated their goal in no time.

Found it interesting and even thought of pre-ordering for it. I'd want one of the Dev kit ones but they were all sold out and I believe go for over $700.

Yeah didn't they surpass their original goal in a matter of hours or something?

It will be interesting and for $100 I may jump in. We get some fellow TGTers to create some games and we could have some fun.

morsdraconis
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
It's definitely interesting and, from my understanding of the hardware, it's gonna be pretty powerful, but the real defining moment for it will be whether or not a semi-large company actually decides to do something for it. If they can get someone like the Minecraft guys to port their game to Android and optimize it to run on the Ouya, it could definitely be interesting.

The likelihood of that happening is small though. Unfortunately, looking closely at some of the people that are associated with the company developing it makes me think that it's going to be trash and thousands of people may have just wasted their money. :(

skipwondah33
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah didn't they surpass their original goal in a matter of hours or something?

It will be interesting and for $100 I may jump in. We get some fellow TGTers to create some games and we could have some fun.Yeah it took a few hours from what I heard. Since they have just been smashing the goal.

It's cool that it will be open for anyone to hack and build games for. I come across some extra funds I'd surely be in to get one.

psuexv
02-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Available for PreOrder through Amazon releasing June 2013

Includes: 1 OUYA wireless controller/Case: Sand-blasted Aluminum and Plastic
CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core / Memory: 1GB RAM
Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in) / Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)
Storage: 8GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: One USB 2.0 port, One Micro USB port
Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth / Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_232100_28044970_pe_button/?docId=1001007241&ie=UTF8

psuexv
02-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Not sure if this is official or not but N64 Emulator :up:

THINGS AVAILABLE ON DAY 1:

GAMES:
100 Rogues
A Tofu Tail
Banner Saga Factions
Beast Boxer Turbo
Echoes of Eternia'
Final Fantasy III
Gorgeous Guardians
Grey: The Lost Technology
Gunblitz
Human Element Prequel
Legends of Aethereus
Mercenary Kings
Offensive Combat
Pier Solar HD
Positron
Rival Threads: Last Class Heroes
Saturday Morning RPG'
Shadowrun Online
Super Retro Squad
The Runthrough
Tropical Treasures 2 Deluxe
Yummy Circus

EMULATORS:
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64

OTHER:
iHeartRadio
Plex Media Server
TuneIn
TwitchTV
Vevo
XBMC

JeffHCross
02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Hey, whadda you know ... the pre-order price on Amazon is almost exactly what I paid to support the Kickstarter :D

JBHuskers
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Not completely sold yet, but keeping my eye on it.

psuexv
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
not sure what I think about this

http://gizmodo.com/5982391/ouyas-hardware-will-be-updated-every-single-year

Ouya’s Hardware Will Be Updated Every Single Year
Jamie Condliffe

Ouya's CEO Julie Uhrman has announced that the company's console will buck the trend of most gaming devices, which are infrequently updated, instead offering a new version of the hardware every single year.

Talking to Engadget she explained that the company's strategy "is very much similar to the mobile strategy. There will be a new OUYA every year. There will be an OUYA 2 and an OUYA 3." That's probably a sensible move, given that the guts of the console are based on mobile processors: the first release will be powered by a Tegra 3 chip, for instance, so perhaps we can expect the second iteration to be powered by Tegra 4. "We'll take advantage of faster, better processors, take advantage of prices falling. So if we can get more than 8GB of Flash in our box, we will," Uhrman explained.

She also pointed out that, with users frequently updating, Ouya will use a game purchasing model not unlike Steam's. All games will, apparently, be backward compatible, and tied to the gamer—not the device. Sounds sensible. Ouya will be available from big box retailers and Amazon, as of June, for $100. [Engdaget]

morsdraconis
02-08-2013, 01:24 PM
not sure what I think about this

http://gizmodo.com/5982391/ouyas-hardware-will-be-updated-every-single-year

That's INCREDIBLY intelligent of them considering that, currently, the processing power of the Tegra 3 chip isn't exactly amazing. They're getting their name out there and grabbing a piece of the revenue share and, with the inevitable issues that come from a new system hitting the market, they'll be able to fix those issues, push out the next one in a year with upgraded capabilities (for $100, that's a damn steal) and continue to grab more and more of the market share.

Now they just need a game or two on their system that can't be gotten anywhere else that will make people want to spend the $100 on the system as well as the $5-$30 for the game (can't imagine anything that they sell will go for higher than that since, logically speaking, it's a consolized cellphone basically).

psuexv
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
That's INCREDIBLY intelligent of them considering that, currently, the processing power of the Tegra 3 chip isn't exactly amazing. They're getting their name out there and grabbing a piece of the revenue share and, with the inevitable issues that come from a new system hitting the market, they'll be able to fix those issues, push out the next one in a year with upgraded capabilities (for $100, that's a damn steal) and continue to grab more and more of the market share.

Now they just need a game or two on their system that can't be gotten anywhere else that will make people want to spend the $100 on the system as well as the $5-$30 for the game (can't imagine anything that they sell will go for higher than that since, logically speaking, it's a consolized cellphone basically).

Yeah I agree with the logic behind it, but would suck to have to buy a new system every year. Hopefully they make it so you can get away with only getting one every 2-3 years.

gschwendt
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah I agree with the logic behind it, but would suck to have to buy a new system every year. Hopefully they make it so you can get away with only getting one every 2-3 years.
It's just like cell phones... when you get a new one, you might get the most powerful one you can but after a year or so, you wish you had a newer one but can make due with it. After two years, you decide it's time to upgrade so you go for it and then the cycle repeats itself.

JBHuskers
03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Polygon - The Kickstarter darling comes home: hands on with the Ouya (http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/28/4157602/ouya-feature)

CLW
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
http://youtu.be/qAVAL1UPLTU

psuexv
03-29-2013, 08:06 AM
That Bear Fighting game looked awesome!

bdoughty
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
First review... They are not pleased.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

Ouya isn't a viable gaming platform, or a good console, or even a nice TV interface. I don't know what it is, but until Ouya figures it out, it's not worth $99.

JBHuskers
04-07-2013, 04:34 AM
Eventually I think it'll be a worthy alternative, just not sure $99 would be worth it to play a bunch of android games.

CLW
04-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Eventually I think it'll be a worthy alternative, just not sure $99 would be worth it to play a bunch of android games.

Or it will flop on launch they will stop supporting it and 20-30 years later you MIGHT have a collectors item for someone that is nostalgic for Android games.

JBHuskers
07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Only 3.5 stars out of almost 200 reviews so far...

http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/product-reviews/B0050SZD18/ref=wl_it_o_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&colid=U5TJN2U3L7HH&coliid=ICOA6D6XZXE8Z&showViewpoints=1

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
73% of Ouya users have not paid for a game yet.

steelerfan
07-25-2013, 10:17 PM

Who needs this thing?? You can now watch youtube videos on tv with that $35 device from Google. :D

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

JBHuskers
07-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Who needs this thing?? You can now watch youtube videos on tv with that $35 device from Google. :D

Congrats on earning this....

:ram?:

:D

steelerfan
07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Congrats on earning this....

:ram?:

bdoughty
07-26-2013, 12:49 AM

and 100% of that 73% are emulating games.

Should just rename that silly thing to OyEmu.

JBHuskers
01-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Did anyone ever get one of these? I'm tempted to get one if I can find one cheap for NES and SNES emulation.

skipwondah33
01-06-2015, 12:10 PM
I wanted to just never got around to getting one.

In same boat if I can find one cheap.

JBHuskers
01-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Brand new buy it now on eBay is around $150. I'm watching one for $80 that is new ending early tonight.

JeffHCross
01-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Brand new buy it now on eBay is around $150. I'm watching one for $80 that is new ending early tonight.JB, I've still got my original OUYA boxed up. Don't think it's ever been unboxed even. Text me if you want to talk price, I was planning to sell it on Amazon anyway.

EDIT: Looks like I might be able to get up to $90 by trading it in to Amazon, FYI.

JBHuskers
01-07-2015, 01:18 PM
JB, I've still got my original OUYA boxed up. Don't think it's ever been unboxed even. Text me if you want to talk price, I was planning to sell it on Amazon anyway.

EDIT: Looks like I might be able to get up to $90 by trading it in to Amazon, FYI.

Thanks Jeff!

JBHuskers
01-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Emulation for NES, SNES, and N64 on the Ouya worked GREAT! Love it.

Thanks for selling the console to me Jeff!

CLW
01-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Emulation for NES, SNES, and N64 on the Ouya worked GREAT! Love it.

Thanks for selling the console to me Jeff!

Do you get the entire Nintendo library up to N64? If so how much did the emulator/games cost?

souljahbill
01-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Is there a No Mercy ROM available because if there is, I'm getting an Ouya.

JBHuskers
01-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Do you get the entire Nintendo library up to N64? If so how much did the emulator/games cost?
Not entire. I'm picking and choosing from my desktop and transferring with a flash drive. The browser sucks on the Ouya. The emulators are all free in the retro section of the Ouya store, and I use EmuParadise on the net to download.

Using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S5 for shats & gaggles.