PDA

View Full Version : PS3 replacement battery?

gigemaggs99
07-22-2012, 04:13 PM
So my controller won't hold a charge anymore and after looking online it looks like I can purchase a replacement Lithium Ion rechargeable battery.

Has anyone done this? Do you suggest any seller? They range a lot in price, my local Batteries Plus sells them for $24.99, I can find them on amazon for around $6 shipped.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

As it is now, the controller still works as long as I plug it into the PS3 via the USB cord and it works just fine. It "thinks" it's recharging but as soon as it stops blinking like it used to when it was fully charged, once the controller is unplugged via the USB the controller dies.

I tried the "reset" button on the back as suggested by a tip I found online but it still won't hold a charge.

Thanks for any tips/suggestion.

Gus

JeffHCross
07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
I had a controller do that, and, quite honestly, I just junked it. Partly because I have several other controllers, and also because the PS3 controller does not appear to be designed to be user-serviced. There's no battery cover, and I didn't feel like popping open my controller and replacing the battery myself was worth the time.

It does sound like mine was slightly further gone than yours though. It wasn't usable, even when it was plugged it. It would "drop" the recharge connection occasionally.

steelerfan
07-22-2012, 04:36 PM
As a guy who has repaired numerous PS3s, I can tell you that I once opened a PS2 controller and that was a huge mistake. There was no way I could get all of the pieces properly back inside.

If you're going to try, go the $6 route so you don't waste too much $ if you can't get it back together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JeffHCross
07-22-2012, 04:43 PM
It doesn't look too bad in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWk4MBiu0a4, but I'd still not want to try it, even though I've repaired other electronics.

gigemaggs99
07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Ok, thank you gents. I like what Steelerfan said, I went w/ the less expensive route, EverydaySource.come has them for $2.79 and shipping (5-10 business days) was $2.99. So I spent $5.78 total.

Hopefully it can last on the USB plug until then.

Like Jeff said that video doesn't make it look too difficult. I see 5 phillips head screws on the back. I will wait for the battery to arrive before I "see what I can do". Pray for us, I'm a Plumber not an electrician! :fp:

EDIT: The video says the new larger Li-o batter should last around 9 hours vs the stock 3-4. I'm sure the wife is gonna love that. :smh:

This is strange, must be some sort of advertisement deal. If you search everydaysource.com for a PS3 replacement battery it shows they are $8.99.

However, if you search google for a "ps3 controller replacement battery" it shows everydaysource.com has them for $2.79. Must be some marketing deal. :dunno:

JeffHCross
07-22-2012, 05:41 PM
The screws on the back aren't the concern. It's what you have to worry about once you pop open the seal. Getting that open the first time is going to be the issue. If you've ever tried (or seen someone try) to open up a cell phone, it's pretty similar. My cell phone is easy to get now, I've opened it probably five times. But that first one was a bitch.

gigemaggs99
07-22-2012, 06:57 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LB3wLaVQ5RI/TkmldDFh8NI/AAAAAAAAAFM/tODP8x_fJ6I/s1600/twss.jpg

gigemaggs99
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Good news, the new battery came in the mail today, 1800mAh, the original inside the controller says 610mAh. Took about 5 mins to change it out and now the new battery is charging up. If this works, this is going to be awesome. This new battery should last about 3 times longer than the original, all for around $6. :))

I will say images on the internet sure are misleading, this battery is SUPER SMALL compared to the image on the website.

2 1/4" Long x 1 3/8" Wide x 3/8" Thick.

steelerfan
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Good news, the new battery came in the mail today, 1800mAh, the original inside the controller says 610mAh. Took about 5 mins to change it out and now the new battery is charging up. If this works, this is going to be awesome. This new battery should last about 3 times longer than the original, all for around $6. :))

I will say images on the internet sure are misleading, this battery is SUPER SMALL compared to the image on the website.

2 1/4" Long x 1 3/8" Wide x 3/8" Thick.

Nice, Gus. Let us know if it works. :up:

gigemaggs99
07-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Nice, Gus. Let us know if it works. :up:

So far after I did the initial charge everything is running like a champ. I played NCAA 13 today for a good 5-6 hours and I still have 2 bars left. I'm just glad that I don't have to be connected to the PS3 via the plug n play/charger cord anymore :))

gigemaggs99
08-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Well I'm very impressed, it's been since the 31st and I'm still using the same controller and haven't had to charge it yet. I play a good hour+ a day sometimes multiple hours. This has been a very good $5 spent.