PDA

View Full Version : Settlement Changes EA SPORTS & NCAA Exclusivity for Five Year Period

cdj
07-20-2012, 09:32 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7512875726_181e5c1e35.jpg

A class-action lawsuit filed four years ago alleging EA SPORTS of violating antitrust and consumer protection laws has reached a potential $27 million settlement fund while also restricting exclusive deals for the company with the NCAA/CLC or the AFL.

The proposed settlement, filed with the court on July 19, 2012, would establish a $27 million fund for consumers who purchased Madden NFL, NCAA Football or AFL games published by EA. If the settlement is approved by the court, consumers who purchased a sixth generation title (GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox) may receive up to $6.79 per game. Those who purchased a seventh generation title (Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) may be entitled to as much as $1.95 per game under the terms of the proposed settlement.

As consideration for the settlement, Electronic Arts has agreed to refrain from renewing or otherwise entering into an exclusive trademark license with the AFL for five years from the final date of approval of the proposed settlement. Moreover, Electronic Arts agrees not to renew its current collegiate football trademark license with the CLC on an exclusive basis after that license expires in 2014, or seek any new exclusive trademark license regarding football video games with the NCAA, the CLC, or any NCAA member institution covered by the current exclusive license for a period of five years thereafter.

This appears to mean that EA will be unable to have an exclusive license for NCAA Football for five years beginning in 2014. Given that the last college football competitor came from Sega's College Football 2K3 and the costs that would incur (start-up, development on the 'next' next-gen, licensing, etc.), it does not seem likely a competitor will emerge. TGT will add more information as it becomes available. Continue on for more information and additional coverage.

From the press release from Hagens Berman LLP:

Attorneys representing purchasers of Electronic Arts, Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) (“EA”) football video games have reached a proposed settlement over claims that the gaming giant violated antitrust and consumer protection laws and overcharged consumers for the games.

The case, originally filed June 5, 2008, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, alleges that EA violated antitrust and consumer protection laws by establishing exclusive license agreements with the National Football League (NFL), National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and the Arena Football League (AFL). The agreements gave EA the exclusive right to produce football video games with the teams, players and other assets of the NFL, AFL and NCAA, the lawsuit states.

The proposed settlement, filed with the court on July 19, 2012, would establish a $27 million fund for consumers who purchased Madden NFL, NCAA Football or AFL games published by EA. If the settlement is approved by the court, consumers who purchased a sixth generation title (GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox) may receive up to $6.79 per game. Those who purchased a seventh generation title (Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) may be entitled to as much as $1.95 per game under the terms of the proposed settlement.

It also stipulates that EA will not sign an exclusive license arrangement with the AFL for five years and will not renew its current agreement with the NCAA, which expires in 2014, for at least five years.

“After more than four years of hard-fought litigation, we have reached a settlement that we strongly believe is fair to consumers,” said attorney Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman, the law firm representing consumers. “We look forward to moving this process forward and asking the court to approve this settlement, which we think is in the best interests of the class.”

On April 6, 2011, the court certified a class of consumers in the case, including all persons who purchased Madden NFL, NCAA Football or AFL games published by EA between January 1, 2005, and the present.

The proposed settlement must be approved by the court before it is final.

Click the following links for coverage from Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5927919/maddens-exclusive-nfl-license-survives-in-27-million-monopoly-lawsuit-settlement), Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/news/562757/27-million-settlement-announced-in-ea-madden-price-fixing-lawsuit/), and pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/07/20/settlement-over-pricing-of-ea-sports-football-products-carries-major-ramifications).

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?611-Settlement-Changes-EA-SPORTS-NCAA-Exclusivity-for-Five-Years

souljahbill
07-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I just finished reading about this on OS and reading pastapadre's analysis. People couldn't wait to proclaim the 2nd coming of football messiah, 2K.

JeffHCross
07-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Good grief. I understand why they settled, but good grief, that's ridiculous for the claims the suit was based on.

( EDIT: Assuming the settlement is accepted by the court. )

I'll be interested to see if I end up getting anything out of the class action or not. I tried to opt out, but later discovered that they had a lot more e-mail addresses then I remembered I had.

beartide06
07-20-2012, 10:22 PM
How would they determine who bought which games for which systems, anyways?

JeffHCross
07-20-2012, 10:32 PM
How would they determine who bought which games for which systems, anyways?EA would have some records (which is how the company with the lawsuit got all our e-mail addresses, I believe), but many class action lawsuits don't require proof of purchase.

beartide06
07-20-2012, 10:38 PM
EA would have some records (which is how the company with the lawsuit got all our e-mail addresses, I believe), but many class action lawsuits don't require proof of purchase.

Makes sense. Hmmm this could change a lot of things. I just hope we aren't without a college football game for a few years.

JeffHCross
07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Per Kotaku's article on this subject:

The settlement's most notable restriction is a five-year ban on any exclusive license between EA Sports and the NCAA, once their current pact expires in 2014. But this has little real effect, as the last NCAA football video game published by someone other than EA Sports was Sega's College Football 2K3 a decade ago. EA Sports is still free to strike any non-exclusive deal with the NCAA after 2014.So I don't think we'll be without CFB for any amount of time.

GatorBait06NC
07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
So this means we could see the return of College Hoops 2K. There is a God.

I would love to see that series return. College Hoops 2k8 is still the last playable college basketball game made.

I would love to see them make a College Football game as well. And bury EA.

GatorBait06NC
07-20-2012, 11:19 PM
So there will be no new deal with the NFL either?? Uh oh. EA is about to have to work and compete for their money.

JBHuskers
07-20-2012, 11:28 PM
I doubt EA will be buried. 2K won't want to pay for any additional licenses.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JeffHCross
07-20-2012, 11:34 PM
So this means we could see the return of College Hoops 2K. There is a God.No. EA does not have any kind of exclusive college basketball license, so this doesn't effect that. 2k voluntarily chose to discontinue the College Hoops series because of rising licensing costs that were not offset by the amount of sales they were making.

I would love to see them make a College Football game as well. And bury EA.They have made college football games. Not so much on the (http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/ncaa-college-football-2k3/critic-reviews) burying (http://www.metacritic.com/game/dreamcast/ncaa-college-football-2k2/critic-reviews), though.

So there will be no new deal with the NFL either?? Uh oh. EA is about to have to work and compete for their money.The settlement does not appear to affect, in any way, EA's deal with the NFL.

SmoothPancakes
07-20-2012, 11:34 PM
At least from the information in the first post, Madden isn't part of this settlement, just licenses with the AFL and NCAA/CLC.

As for 2K, there is no way in hell they'll make a college football game. They are shedding as many licenses as they can, even saying they want to focus on their own IPs in the future. NBA 2K will still be around, but they already dropped MLB 2K, they aren't going to piss away the money to make a college football game, considering it'd be at least 2-3 years before they could release a game if they haven't started working on the base for one, and even then, they'd be way behind what features and stuff are already in EA's game.

baseballplyrmvp
07-20-2012, 11:41 PM
At least from the information in the first post, Madden isn't part of this settlement, just licenses with the AFL and NCAA/CLC.

As for 2K, there is no way in hell they'll make a college football game. They are shedding as many licenses as they can, even saying they want to focus on their own IPs in the future. NBA 2K will still be around, but they already dropped MLB 2K, they aren't going to piss away the money to make a college football game, considering it'd be at least 2-3 years before they could release a game if they haven't started working on the base for one, and even then, they'd be way behind what features and stuff are already in EA's game.

i doubt they'd ever make a college game first, without attempting a pro game first.

I OU a Beatn
07-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Great news. The exclusive license is the sole reason why NCAA(and Madden) has sucked so much this generation. Let's hope another developer jumps in to give them some competition.

...and for the record, I mean any developer. I don't care if it's 2K. I don't know what everyone's love fest is with 2K, but all their games I've played sucked almost as much as NCAA has this generation. Hell, I remember people clamoring over how Backbreaker was better than NCAA. I hate the problems with NCAA just as much as the next guy, but not enough to say one of the worst games ever made is better than it. I mean, really? Backbreaker better than NCAA? :D:D:D:D

JeffHCross
07-21-2012, 01:10 AM
The college market hasn't had competition since the Genesis and Playstation days, and I don't see that changing, even with this settlement.

CLW
07-21-2012, 07:03 AM
The parties settled so they and the judge almost always approves what the sharks er lawyers want. It will be interesting to see if anyone steps up when the exclusive deal expires. I'd love to see 2K jump in but as previously noted they are in a world of financial trouble (at least the last I heard) and couldn't afford the NCAA licensing fees to continue College Hoops (my favorite sports series of all time).

I agree that competition is always the best for consumers but I'm worried/concerned that EA has dominated the market for this product so.... long few will be willing to step up. Additionally, any company that does step up into this NCAA market is opening themselves up to "likeness" litigation (depending on the outcome of the suit against EA). That gives them two options (1) put up "crap" rosters or (2) pass the cost of the lawsuits on to their consumers via less features in the game or a higher priced product.

Moreover, if someone does step up their product likely will not be up to where EA's currently is because they would be starting from scratch. I just don't see the consumer base buying a product with so little "bells & whistles" that EA brings.

EDIT: The ONLY "interesting" thing about this that could change the above analysis is that the NCAA exclusive license expires roughly around the same time of the rumored 720/PS4 launch. Perhaps if someone started developing specifically for those consoles they could give EA a run for its money. I remember the 1st 360 and PS3 NCAA games were pretty bare bones dropping MANY things from the PS2 days.

JeffHCross
07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
I remember the 1st 360 and PS3 NCAA games were pretty bare bones dropping MANY things from the PS2 days.I'm pretty confident that we won't see a launch NCAA title this go around. They'll give themselves more time to get a full-featured title out. Of course, that would also possibly give more time to a competitor.

OSUCowboyofMD
07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't know how I'll survive without this game!

Jayrah
07-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I just finished reading about this on OS and reading pastapadre's analysis. People couldn't wait to proclaim the 2nd coming of football messiah, 2K.
HAHAHAHAHAHA :D. They are so far behind the curve though. And this game is actually getting pretty good.

herropreese
07-23-2012, 12:32 PM
It may or may not signal the return of another game to challenge EA.

But at least it opens the possibility of it happening. We may all end up pleasantly surprised.

jaymo76
07-23-2012, 09:27 PM
It may or may not signal the return of another game to challenge EA.

But at least it opens the possibility of it happening. We may all end up pleasantly surprised.

I agree with this sentiment. I really don't expect a competitor to emerge for NCAA and if one did I would not have high expectations. However, I would love to see how Tiburon would have to raise their game in order to deal with competition. The NCAA series is my favourite of any PS2/PS3 series and I love it. I would be hard pressed to adopt a new college game as it would just be so far behind in so many regards (stadiums, uniforms, etc. When you really think about it, NCAA has a TON of stuff in it.

JeffHCross
07-23-2012, 09:36 PM
A single development cycle would give you most (if not all) of the content that NCAA has. I don't mean a single NCAA (single-year) development cycle, but if you took your time, like a GTA or Halo does, then you could get most of the content. The feature set is what usually takes years to flesh out.

jaymo76
07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
A single development cycle would give you most (if not all) of the content that NCAA has. I don't mean a single NCAA (single-year) development cycle, but if you took your time, like a GTA or Halo does, then you could get most of the content. The feature set is what usually takes years to flesh out.

True, but that would mean that a company such as 2k would have to say today that we are going to create say NCAA 2k16 as an example. How much time, money, and resources are you going to committ to a game that you may never actually decide to publish? Also, with next gen just around the corner, are you going to build on PS3/360 or wait for the next systems? Also, for all the people who say just take 2k8 and make it college, that game was a LONG time ago... I wonder how many of those developers still work for 2k? Probably not many.

JeffHCross
07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
All valid points, jaymo. I couldn't tell if you meant they were behind in terms of starting from scratch, or behind in terms of it taking multiple years (and releases) to catch up. The former is absolutely true. The latter is true, but to a lesser extent.

thirtydaZe
07-25-2012, 11:45 AM
this really seems like it would be a great time for someone to bring the game to the PC. even with EA not having exclusive rights, it'd actually be a great time for them to bring it back.

quite frankly, i can'at believe there isn't some game crack, or what ever you want to call it that would allow the game to be opened up, downloaded, to you pc, and have files exposed for modding.

i'm actually more of a console guy, but if NCAA xx went this direction, i'd be all over it i'm thinking.

JBHuskers
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
this really seems like it would be a great time for someone to bring the game to the PC. even with EA not having exclusive rights, it'd actually be a great time for them to bring it back.

quite frankly, i can'at believe there isn't some game crack, or what ever you want to call it that would allow the game to be opened up, downloaded, to you pc, and have files exposed for modding.

i'm actually more of a console guy, but if NCAA xx went this direction, i'd be all over it i'm thinking.

It definitely opens up the door for something, if nothing more than a manager type game.

jaymo76
07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I would love to see what the makers of "THE SHOW" could do with an exclusive PS3 title? Developing a game to the full blu ray potential... sounds good.

Kansacity88
07-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Per Kotaku's article on this subject:
So I don't think we'll be without CFB for any amount of time.

Hopefully not......but some company will try and throw something together. I realized, like a few months ago, that there was another college football game out on the market for HBCUs for XBox. I went and found it on YouTube and checked out the videos of it and the gameplay was AWFUL. If I had to subject myself to that I would load up a beebee gun and shoot myself numerous times in the ass!!! I think the game was made more for the band halftime shows because THOSE were excellent for a video game. If EA had that type of halftime show for their college games......well, I'd probably skip it ANYWAY, but I'm just sayin'...........

cdj
07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
From GameSpot's Brendan Sinclair: EA giving up NCAA exclusivity isn't giving up anything

So who else is likely to jump on the loose ball here? Considering EA's exclusivity deal ends in 2014, that gives any potential challenger three years to prep a game we can assume would debut on the next generation of Xbox and PlayStation consoles in time for the start of the 2015 season. Now look at the current state of the packaged retail gaming business, at how it's been down by double-digit percentages every month this year, at how expensive the cost of next-generation game development will be, at how risk-averse publishers have become. And ask yourself, "Which of these companies is likely to commit to making an NCAA Football game right now?" Ask which of them is willing to make that kind of investment in a game that will realistically only sell in the United States. Ask which of them will be able to put together a high-quality simulation of an absurdly intricate sport that features more than 100 teams, each with their own school logos, mascots, and stadiums. Now ask which of those who are left, if any, will be able to do this in a way that could possibly compete with Electronic Arts' feature-rich football factory, which has been churning out a reasonably complex, if rarely inspired or innovative, collegiate pigskin game every year for the past two decades.

I'm not saying there won't be an NCAA game released from someone outside EA, as the existing NCAA series' stagnation should have fans eager for some sort of alternative, perhaps in the form of an arcade-style take on the sport. But don't expect this to break EA's virtual monopoly on the gaming gridiron. There were reasons the company agreed to this settlement, and "fostering any form of legitimate competition" was not among them.

Click here for the full article (http://www.gamespot.com/features/ea-giving-up-ncaa-exclusivity-isnt-giving-up-anything-6388523/)

JeffHCross
07-26-2012, 10:29 PM
He forgot one point in his opening paragraph (which was otherwise excellent): Who will open themselves up to likeness lawsuits, or suffer the wrath of fans after QB #5 on Ohio State is white instead of black (if they choose not to subject themselves to said lawsuits).

ebin
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
It definitely opens up the door for something, if nothing more than a manager type game.

Not sure if this is what you meant by "manager type," but has anyone here played Bowl Bound College Football (http://www.greydogsoftware.com/bb/)? I stumbled across it the other day, and while it doesn't look like the game's been updated since 2007, assuming you're willing to overlook the fact that you don't actually control the players, it seems to offer a decent amount of control and customizability. Of course, the default game doesn't have real school names, etc. but there are mods for that. It even has a playoff option!

Anyone have any experience with the game? I play mostly coach mode as it is, and I'd be willing to sacrifice watching the plays develop (on NCAA '13) if the sim engine was reasonably realistic.

JeffHCross
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Not sure if this is what you meant by "manager type," but has anyone here played Bowl Bound College Football (http://www.greydogsoftware.com/bb/)?I've played the demo a handful of times, but it never hooks me quite enough to buy the full product. At the time, I struggled to deal with the fact that the rosters weren't reflective of real life, but in hindsight that was pretty stupid. I don't know why, but I just can't get into the game enough to buy it.

And yeah, that's exactly the type of title he meant. Not exactly the same as the "Football Manager" (meaning soccer) type titles, but pretty close.

ebin
07-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I've played the demo a handful of times, but it never hooks me quite enough to buy the full product. At the time, I struggled to deal with the fact that the rosters weren't reflective of real life, but in hindsight that was pretty stupid. I don't know why, but I just can't get into the game enough to buy it.

And yeah, that's exactly the type of title he meant. Not exactly the same as the "Football Manager" (meaning soccer) type titles, but pretty close.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll download the demo and give it a shot. See if it keeps my attention.

GatorfanStovy
07-30-2012, 01:31 PM
It would be awesome if other companies could finally come in and make either an NFL or NCAA football.I'm getting tired of all the EA bull crap that is out this year.I mean why would cut the draft classes into MAdden this year ...

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
It would be awesome if other companies could finally come in and make either an NFL or NCAA football.I'm getting tired of all the EA bull crap that is out this year.I mean why would cut the draft classes into MAdden this year ...

Because data showed that not too many people were using it.

souljahbill
07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Cue the "I used it" comments in 3......2.....1....

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Cue the "I used it" comments in 3......2.....1....

Or claimed to use it since they took it away :troll:

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Because they don't like you, so they took it out this year just to piss you off. They're all sitting in their offices at EA right now reading this thread and laughing their asses off.

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Because they don't like you, so they took it out this year just to piss you off. They're all sitting in their offices at EA right now reading this thread and laughing their asses off.

I heard they like to do that :troll:

gigemaggs99
07-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Well, for us the customers it's a win. Competition in any market is always good for the consumer. It should make EA and the other developers step up their game to keep the customers paying for their products...they should get the, "Well if you buy our product, you will get these features" competition should be a good thing.

I've always picked EA games over the others, not sure why, I've tried others i.e. Winning 11 vs EA's Fifa, I prefer EA's version. This doesn't mean though that EA should have a monopoly when it comes to the futbol market. So, I think it's good someone else will produce a football game.

Maybe it will shake EA into listening more to the consumers. "hey look guys, this is what the fans are wanting, if we give them more of what they want we'll get/keep their money".

When we the customers have a choice to purchase another product it takes some of the dictatorship from the monopoly companies. It has seemed to me in the last couple of years that EA will come out with either Madden or NCAA and there will be issues, that's the nature of the beast I understand, but they will get all of the issues together, then sit down and THEY decide which ones they will fix and which ones they say, "nah, that can wait...." If there was competition out there, I'm thinking there would be less of this "it can wait mentality"......hopefully....time will tell.

JeffHCross
07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, for us the customers it's a win. Competition in any market is always good for the consumer.I, for one, still don't believe that competition will actually come to fruition. The NCAA license is a lot less worthwhile for a company to jump on, and I think that's why the settlement gave that license up. The only way another company jumps in with the NCAA license, in my opinion, is to get their own exclusive license so they're the only game in town. I just don't see anyone going head to head against EA for the college football fanbase.

they will get all of the issues together, then sit down and THEY decide which ones they will fix and which ones they say, "nah, that can wait...." If there was competition out there, I'm thinking there would be less of this "it can wait mentality"......hopefully....time will tell.Every software company in the world is faced with that decision. Competition won't change that. Competition may just change which ones that they decide are priority. It will never change that not every bug can be fixed.

SmoothPancakes
07-30-2012, 09:29 PM
I, for one, still don't believe that competition will actually come to fruition. The NCAA license is a lot less worthwhile for a company to jump on, and I think that's why the settlement gave that license up. The only way another company jumps in with the NCAA license, in my opinion, is to get their own exclusive license so they're the only game in town. I just don't see anyone going head to head against EA for the college football fanbase.

Every software company in the world is faced with that decision. Competition won't change that. Competition may just change which ones that they decide are priority. It will never change that not every bug can be fixed.

Just look at 2K and MLB 2K. Even "competing" (if you want to call it that) with MLB The Show, that game was one of the buggiest, glitchiest, biggest piles of shit year after year that I ever saw. Even worse than NCAA Football or Madden. Am I sad that there is now not any baseball game on 360? Yes. Am I sad it was MLB 2K that died, and as a result caused there to not be a baseball game on 360? Hell no. It was about time.

chromeatari
08-06-2012, 04:31 AM
EA would have some records (which is how the company with the lawsuit got all our e-mail addresses, I believe), but many class action lawsuits don't require proof of purchase.
I don't remember an email about this....what was sender's address?

JeffHCross
08-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't remember an email about this....what was sender's address?It was a while ago, I don't have it anymore. We discussed it in this thread (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?1987-And-It-Has-Begun-(EA-serves-notice-in-Madden-anti-trust-suit)), if you want to find out more.

SmoothPancakes
11-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Payday has arrived. I received a little postcard sized thing from the Pecover v. Electronic Arts Inc. Settlement Administrator in the mail today. Opened it up, a check for a cool $163.17. :cool:

Heading up to the bank tomorrow and depositing it straight into my account. :nod:

gschwendt
11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Payday has arrived. I received a little postcard sized thing from the Pecover v. Electronic Arts Inc. Settlement Administrator in the mail today. Opened it up, a check for a cool $163.17. :cool:

Heading up to the bank tomorrow and depositing it straight into my account. :nod:
I believe that was for Madden...

SmoothPancakes
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I believe that was for Madden...

Well, whether it was for NCAA or Madden, whichever one, $163.17 more than works for me. :D

With an Xbox One arriving at my doorstep in two weeks from tomorrow, that check is going in my bank account tomorrow and getting put towards the Xbox One sometime between the 18th and the 21st.

SmoothPancakes
11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I went to the EA Sports Litigation site, it looks like the check is all from this entire settlement.

http://www.easportslitigation.com/

WELCOME TO THE PECOVER V. ELECTRONIC ARTS INC. SETTLEMENT WEBSITE

UPDATE: In late October, Gilardi & Co. LLC, the Electronic Arts Settlement Administrator, began mailing checks to consumers. The check amounts will vary depending upon certain factors explained below. You do not need to validate the authenticity of the check.

8/16/2013 UPDATE: The settlement was approved by the Court on May 30, 2013. An appeal was filed on June 28. On August 16, 2013 the appeal was dismissed. Settlement checks will be distributed soon.

If you are in the United States and bought a new copy of an Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football videogame for Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, GameCube, PC, or Wii, with a release date of January 1, 2005 to June 21, 2012, your rights may be affected.

The purpose of this website is to provide information to potential Settlement Class Members about the proposed Settlement with Electronic Arts Inc., and to inform Settlement Class Members of 1) the certification of the Settlement Class, 2) the terms of the proposed Settlement, 3) their right to exclude themselves (“Opt-Out”) from the Settlement Class, 4) their right to object to the Settlement, and 5) the hearing at which time the Court will determine whether to grant final approval of the proposed Settlement.

If approved by the Court, payments will be made to Settlement Class members who submit timely and valid claims out of the net proceeds of the Settlement (the amount available after deducting payment of the costs of administering the Settlement, including the costs of this notice, attorneys’ fees, costs of the litigation, and any payments allowed by the Court to the named plaintiffs) based on the type and number of videogames purchased by a Settlement Class Member.

If you are an eligible Settlement Class Member, your share of the net proceeds of the Settlement will be based upon the number of videogame titles you purchased new, as well as the number of Settlement Class Members who submit valid claims.

Valid claims for the purchase of Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football videogames for the Xbox, PlayStation 2, PC, or GameCube platforms (“Sixth Generation Purchasers”) will be valued at $20.37 per new game purchased, up to a total of eight units ($162.96).

Valid claims for the purchase of Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football videogames for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Wii platforms (“Seventh Generation Purchasers”) will be valued at $5.85 per new game purchased, up to a total of eight units ($46.80).

Although the information in this website is intended to assist you, it does not replace the information contained in the Class Notice or the Settlement Agreement, both of which can be downloaded from this website.

Escobar
11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
I guess I should have filled out that paperwork...

Rudy
11-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I guess I should have filled out that paperwork...

Me too.

CLW
11-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Threw my notice in the trash and never filled out the form.

Stan HAMsen
11-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Threw my notice in the trash and never filled out the form.

Me too. I was happy to buy and play those games.

SmoothPancakes
11-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I was more than happy to buy and play those games, there's a reason why I kept buying NCAA every year from 2001 through 2014 and Madden every year from 2003 through 2013, along with the Arena Football game. But, hell, EA's paying that money out regardless of how much enjoyment I got, and money is money, it's gonna end up going to someone, I may as well partake in a little bit of cash from the settlement. I figured it'd be some small, measly amount like $20 or $30, but still would have been $20 or $30 more than I had the day before. $163.17 is a whole other surprise, but I sure as hell won't turn it down. It's $163.17 more than I had at this time yesterday, and it's $163.17 less that will be removed from my bank account by Amazon in two weeks for my Xbox One.

steelerfan
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I did not participate in that shit and I'm glad that I didn't.