PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Impressions of NCAA Football 11

Pages : 1 [2]

ebin
07-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Zones, meanwhile, are completely useless for the most part

When was the last time zones actually worked well in this game?

JeffHCross
07-24-2010, 04:11 PM
When was the last time zones actually worked well in this game?NCAA 2004.

Though there's a big difference between 'tolerable', 'well', and 'useless'. We're on the third now ... we've been on the first for a while.

ebin
07-24-2010, 04:25 PM
NCAA 2004.

Though there's a big difference between 'tolerable', 'well', and 'useless'. We're on the third now ... we've been on the first for a while.

Fair enough, but I can't remember the last time they worked well enough for me to use them consistently.

morsdraconis
07-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I think they work fine as long as you get pressure on the QB, take away at least one flat area, and don't give them wide open seams. Granted, I don't play online so I'm sure that's a different story.

rhombic21
07-24-2010, 05:14 PM
NCAA 2004.

Zones were terrible on NCAA 04. People could throw for 80% completion percentages with ease.

JeffHCross
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Zones were terrible on NCAA 04. People could throw for 80% completion percentages with ease.We've had this discussion before. I know you didn't like the defense on 04. Personally, I did.

Cipher 8
07-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Forewarning: You aren't going to get a lot more pressure. I know because it's the defense I use in my dynasty.

Idk I've used it in my Illinois O.D. and my Michigan O.D. I won both games, actually held NIU to under 50 yards total offense. I think I got more pressure and just having the nickel package with better blitzes is what I like. I would normally choose Nickel or Dime and only blitz the front four now I can change that second SS via formation subs to my third corner and run a 4-2-5 whatever and blitz one of the two linebackers/safeties or both to get that overload added pressure. I'de say I like it better and I still got Nickel, Dime, and 4-4... just not the 4-3 stuff I never liked.

JeffHCross
07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I've used 4-2-5 on NCAA 09 and NCAA 10 and gotten decent pressure. Not necessarily "more" than the other formations, but good pressure.

HWill
07-24-2010, 09:24 PM
It seems like the CPU-controlled players have superpowers, particularly on defense in RTG mode. I played a couple games today with my QB at New Mexico, and every pass I threw over the middle was batted down by a DE, and LB's have a higher vertical than LeBron James, pulling off crazy one-handed INTs and jumping out of the stadium to swat balls away.

Rudy
07-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Rudy do you have your hum pass covg slider at 40? That's what I have been using and with some gameplanning adjustments zone D is somewhat tolerable but I must say this is definitely the year of MAN D.

I have human pass coverage at 35. Locker was 19-23 against me in the one game but overall I can get stops and he's an elite college QB. I still mix up zone. Playing solely against the cpu I still see breakdowns in man to man coverage quite often. On third and short plays a Cover 2 zone with aggressive zone game planning works just as good or better than man to man imo. Maybe it's just me but I'm not noticing the massive difference between man vs zone effectiveness when playing the cpu. And since I suck at throwing against zones it seems pretty balanced when I play on offense as well.

ram29jackson
07-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by ram29jackson
{{{if this because theres something I dont understand about football formation logic in real life, forgive me for being stupid

I called -pro formation- curl flats- I put the back on the right side in motion to the left.

expect him to be a 3rd receiver. but instead, he stops right behind the tight end on the left.. and stays there..?

i'm sorry- its split normal - curl flats }}}

was this not interesting to anyone? Is it suppose to happen this way and its something about football that I dont get ?

JeffHCross
07-25-2010, 12:13 AM
There's nothing about that formation that would prevent him from being a 3rd receiver. Sometimes the formations are just programmed that way.

JeffHCross
07-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I did not know you could break out of a Gang Tackle completely. I now discovered this.

On defense.

JeffHCross
07-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Just curious. I've seen some considerable separation on them such that it was an easy catch. Honestly, I hardly used them prior to '11, but I've started throwing them now. I'll have to check on the stutter as I didn't notice it before.For what it's worth, I was just able to complete two comeback routes with one of the worst teams (and QBs) in the game, with two or three yards of separation against Man Coverage.

ram29jackson
07-25-2010, 04:43 AM
There's nothing about that formation that would prevent him from being a 3rd receiver. Sometimes the formations are just programmed that way.

haha, but since when is a guy lined up right behind a TE's or tackles ass.i'm sure he would be obstructed by him to start the route haha?

ryby6969
07-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't like the way the no huddle offense is right now. When you are on defense, your playcalling screen blocks the field so you cannot tell what formation they audibled into. IRL, coaches can see what formation they are lining up into, and relay the play accordingly.

Rudy
07-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry Husker fans but the unranked Wolverines went in to Lincoln to face the #7 Huskers (new members of the Big 10 - Indiana was booted) and Michigan wins 17-14 in OT! #1 Greatest Game Score!

The cpu game management was terrible at the end of this game. This logic needs to be patched. I had scored with two minutes left and got the 2 point conversion to tie it at 14. They went down and were inside my 10 yard line with little time left. All they had to do was run the ball, kick the chip shot and they won. Instead they no huddled with 10 seconds left and tried to throw a TD pass. They had at least one timeout. One of my DBs picked the ball off in the end zone and it went to OT where I won. I really had no business winning this game.

morsdraconis
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm really starting to get disenchanted with this game. Between all the EA server issues, my annoyance with my shitty internet connection preventing me from doing any ODs against other people, and how annoyingly predictable the CPU is I'm really starting to lose interest in this game.

And I feel really bad about saying that because I wanted to enjoy this game, but it's leaving a lot to be desired.

JeffHCross
07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
For a game with as much reliance as they put into Online this year, the frequency of server issues are truly inexcusable. Season Showdown failing from Day One is particularly bad.

jaymo76
07-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm really starting to get disenchanted with this game. Between all the EA server issues, my annoyance with my shitty internet connection preventing me from doing any ODs against other people, and how annoyingly predictable the CPU is I'm really starting to lose interest in this game.

And I feel really bad about saying that because I wanted to enjoy this game, but it's leaving a lot to be desired.

Yet another list of reasons why I am 100% offline. I even decided NOT to do a teambuilder this year because the online issue drove me nuts last year. When I want to play I want to play, not when the servers will let me. With regards to the cpu predictability and poor decision making at times, yes I totally agree with you there. Play calling in close games with 2-3 mins to go drives me nuts. Stop running the ball when you have no time outs, are on your side of the field, and need a TD to win!!!! Grrrrr....

Note: Game has issues yes, but I am still loving it. I'm well into season three now and recruiting is getting a lot easier. The downside though is that I am slider tweaking again because my run game is way too good. My starting rb has a 12.3 ypc average right now and that's with the cpu rush D at 70. Since I won't be getting non-franchise improved Madden this year I will probably end up playing this game as much as I did NCAA 06 (10+ SEASONS).

JeffHCross
07-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Pretty cool to see the Walter Camp Award and Nagurski Award added. Biletnikoff is finally named, though the recipient is "Receiver of the Year" rather than Biletnikoff Award Winner. I want to say that the Outland is named for the first time this year as well (recipient is "Offensive Lineman of the Year"). Just need the Lambert award to replace Best LB and make up a name for Best Returner ...

Rudy
07-25-2010, 07:49 PM
It's hard to judge the human running game on AA this year jaymo. I've got cpu run defense at 80 and at times I think it's really good and other times I still think my running game is too good. A lot of that is because I think I'm able to break longer runs too often. I'm starting to think I should drop human RBA to 45 to help fix this but I don't want to boost my fumble numbers either. At the same time I have a tendency to tweak sliders until the game gets too hard and frustrating for me. Right now I'm having fun breaking some long runs and many are runs up the middle, just following my blockers.

The other thing I notice is that progressive fatigue really seems to tire out the cpu defense in the second half. Many times my first half numbers aren't that great but I'm able to pound on the cpu in the second half pretty good. I like this aspect but it can lead to some gaudy rush numbers at times.

jaymo76
07-25-2010, 10:18 PM
It's hard to judge the human running game on AA this year jaymo. I've got cpu run defense at 80 and at times I think it's really good and other times I still think my running game is too good. A lot of that is because I think I'm able to break longer runs too often. I'm starting to think I should drop human RBA to 45 to help fix this but I don't want to boost my fumble numbers either. At the same time I have a tendency to tweak sliders until the game gets too hard and frustrating for me. Right now I'm having fun breaking some long runs and many are runs up the middle, just following my blockers.

The other thing I notice is that progressive fatigue really seems to tire out the cpu defense in the second half. Many times my first half numbers aren't that great but I'm able to pound on the cpu in the second half pretty good. I like this aspect but it can lead to some gaudy rush numbers at times.

Yeah, the long runs really hurt the stats. You get stuffed three times and then break one for sixty. As to the progressive fatigue, I finally noticed it vs Washington St last night. I had all my sliders at 89/90 (expect cpu and offensive line). WSU ran no huddle most of the game and so did I (it was a shootout 63-34). By then of the game ALL RB'S, WR's and LB's were gone from both teams. Needless to say, auto subs have now been lowered substantially.

Rudy
07-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Yeah, 90 sub in might be too high for this. I think I'm going to have to lower it to make sure this doesn't happen.

ebin
07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Is anyone else having a hard time getting a consistent run game going from the spread? Any suggestions?

JeffHCross
07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Which part of your run game are you struggling with, ebin? Every time I've tried to run from spread, it would be an understatement to say it was easy.

morsdraconis
07-27-2010, 12:24 AM
It's definitely not easy, especially against the CPU cause it seems like it knows where you're running the ball and when.

Only thing I can recommend is, depending on the team you're using, Read Option can most definitely be your friend or your enemy. If you're team is decent at run blocking, Read Option is killer if they don't overload the read side (if you see an extra man line up on that side and show blitz, you might as well forget trying to run the Read Option play) and you have a decent running QB.

Otherwise, stretch plays, sweeps, and speed option work well when timed correctly, with proper blocking, and they aren't overloading the side you're running on.

It can certainly seem like if you have even decent success at running the ball early, the CPU is basically keying in on it the whole time, which GREATLY opens up the passing game (as long as you can handle the blitzing pressure).

ebin
07-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Maybe my timing is off then, because I'm not having any luck with stretch plays and sweeps and such. Using the Oregon playbook, I do fine when I've got a lead blocker and/or am running inside, and I've had some success with the read option (definitely moreso with Thomas than Costa at QB), but pretty much every run I've tried to the outside has either been blown up in the backfield, or stopped for a 1/2 yard gain. Of course, I haven't played nearly as much as I'd like, so maybe I just need to get some reps in.

morsdraconis
07-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Maybe my timing is off then, because I'm not having any luck with stretch plays and sweeps and such. Using the Oregon playbook, I do fine when I've got a lead blocker and/or am running inside, and I've had some success with the read option (definitely moreso with Thomas than Costa at QB), but pretty much every run I've tried to the outside has either been blown up in the backfield, or stopped for a 1/2 yard gain. Of course, I haven't played nearly as much as I'd like, so maybe I just need to get some reps in.

Speed burst is definitely your enemy with those. As always, if you hit speed burst the defender is breaking blocks easier so you're better off not to hit speed burst as your blockers will block better.

jaymo76
07-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Weird thing happened last night. I lost TWO straight games in dynasty. However, they weren't just losses, they were blowouts. As Arizona St. I was ranked #1 (don't laugh...) and went to Stanford and LOST 42-14. Okay, that score was flattering to me.... I completed 6 passes all game. Then next week I'm at home to USC.... and.... 51-17 loss. I was stunned. That has NEVER happened to me before and up to that point I had dominated all teams in my games. I'm glad to see I lost BUT it was just strange to be blown out two staright. I'm now ranked 18th.

Note: other weird observations: pre-season polls: Ohio St. #44, USC #46, Flordia #51, Geogria #63
Boise went from the national championship game to a team with C offense and D defense the next season
Georgia Tech's QB is leading the nation is passing.... ???? ...???

JBHuskers
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Played my offline dynasty with Nebraska on the 360 last night. Played the D-II school on the schedule, they f'n hung tough with me until the 4th quarter! :D

I had a weird tip pick and a couple of fumbles that kept it close, and they were getting some deep passess out. Seems like my CB on the right is always getting burnt by the CPU. I ended up scoring 28 in the 4th to make it more of a blow out. Helu broke the school record for rushing too, but passing wasn't a gimme considering it was a D-II school.

JeffHCross
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Georgia Tech's QB is leading the nation is passing.... ???? ...???In Week 3 of the Powerhouse OD, the leading receiver (by yards) is from Army.

Kingpin32
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
In my offline dynasty, I have a Canadian team. So when they cut to the cheerleaders there is a flag waver waving an American Flag on the sidelines. Just one of those weird little things about the game.

jaymo76
07-27-2010, 05:05 PM
In my offline dynasty, I have a Canadian team. So when they cut to the cheerleaders there is a flag waver waving an American Flag on the sidelines. Just one of those weird little things about the game.

Sounds about right lol

Rudy
07-28-2010, 05:54 AM
I think jet sweeps are done very well this year. Had a long one for a TD today! I'd show you the replay but it only shows the last 40 yards. ;)

PigSooie
07-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Yeah! And they didn't put in the option for a 110-yard field, either! What's that all aboot? LOL! :P

The Jacket
07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Obviously not very in depth, but I feel compelled to say that as I wrap up my second dynasty season this is the most fun I've had playing an NCAA title since NCAA 2004. I'm coaching Georgia Tech and trying to win my second straight ACC crown. I've already clinched a spot in the title game but a few moments ago Virginia took me to overtime and ruined my perfect conference record, handing me my second loss of the season. (First was to Auburn.) I've been playing with the same sliders for the last 8 games which was a rarity in past editions of the game. I honestly feel as though I may duplicate my experience with NCAA 2004, with which I completed a few hundred games and who knows how many seasons. I spend more time noticing how much fun I'm having than I am yelling "bullshit!" at the CPU.

My Jackets are missing some uniforms and our entrance didn't quite make it in (Balloons are in, but no big sign, no smoke and no Ramblin' Wreck) but as of right now, overall I'm comfortable saying this is my favorite NCAA game of all time.

JBHuskers
07-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Glad you're enjoying the game. Just like mascots, the entrances will come in time.

The Jacket
07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Glad you're enjoying the game. Just like mascots, the entrances will come in time.

Of course. And there are things that make up for it. If you play a night game at Bobby Dodd Stadium, you see that the Atlanta skyscrapers finally light up - something I've been begging for for years. Grant Field has the best view of any stadium in the country for a night game and that's finally translated into the NCAA series. There was also a lot more detail added into the skyline overall, making it much more accurate and believable as a city teeming with life, cradling this historic venue.

ram29jackson
07-29-2010, 01:20 AM
I just played online against a guy who ran on every play with wisconsin. When I set my safetys to man on the running back, he ran to the left and my safetys were no where near him

ebin
07-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Speed burst is definitely your enemy with those. As always, if you hit speed burst the defender is breaking blocks easier so you're better off not to hit speed burst as your blockers will block better.

I kinda figured that was part of it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play in a couple days, so I can't say I've had any more success. Thanks for the reply though.

steelerfan
07-29-2010, 03:03 AM
I spend more time noticing how much fun I'm having than I am yelling "bullshit!" at the CPU.

Your whole post was great and resembled much of my sentiment. This line, however, sums it up nicely. I'm having a lot of fun with 11.

By the way, welcome to the board!

skipwondah33
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Man coverage coupled with aggressive pass coverage is pretty effective it seems

JBHuskers
07-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Man coverage coupled with aggressive pass coverage is pretty effective it seems

For some reason, I haven't really strayed away from just normal game planning for now. I need to get myself into the habit of hitting L1 and setting some things up to see if I have better results.

skipwondah33
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't use gameplanning at all, I could just tell from my opponent that he was using that the entire game..probably along with pass commit. Either that or Arizona has possibly the best man coverage defense top to bottom that I have ever seen lol

jaymo76
07-29-2010, 06:11 PM
For those conspiracy theory folks out there that believe games are scripted here's one for you.

I just played the Rose Bowl versus Michigan (I was Arizona St). Going into the game I was ranked 12th and Michigan ranked 17th. Well long story short, it was a great game. I won 27-21 and if it were not for cpu int issues I probably would have lost. However, the strange thing was that when the game started and during every quarter break, on the scoreboard it showed my rank as #6 and Michigan as #22... I thought that was weird but whatever. Okay so season ends and the final standings.... Arizona St #6 and Michigan #22. Fluke or something more? Has anyone else ever seen this???

ebin
07-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Fluke or something more? Has anyone else ever seen this???

Woah, crazy. I've never been one to buy into the conspiracy theories, but that is a pretty eerie coincidence...

steelerfan
07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Fluke or something more? Has anyone else ever seen this???

Ha! Wow! That is bizarre. If I ever see that, I will do everything in my power to lose to see if the CPU out does my attempts at failure, lol.

jaymo76
07-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Just started YEAR FOUR and quickly looked at how progression is working... made some interesting observations.

A rated teams: TWO~ Alabama & Texas
B /B+rated teams: TWENTY-TWO
D/D+/D- rated teams: FORTY-SEVEN

-I am ranked 7th with a C+ overall, a B- off. and a C+ def.
-Ohio St, Boise, USC, LSU all have now dropped to C+ def.
-zero teams with A or A+ off or def (highest grade is A- def for Alabama)
-top ten recruits avg (est) AWARENESS is only 43
-biggest drop... Georgia Tech is ranked #68 with a C off and C+ def (they ended last year at 24th)

ram29jackson
07-30-2010, 04:52 AM
Of course. And there are things that make up for it. If you play a night game at Bobby Dodd Stadium, you see that the Atlanta skyscrapers finally light up - something I've been begging for for years. Grant Field has the best view of any stadium in the country for a night game and that's finally translated into the NCAA series. There was also a lot more detail added into the skyline overall, making it much more accurate and believable as a city teeming with life, cradling this historic venue.

it is kind of interesting whats outside some of these stadiums

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/IN%20GAME%20NCAA%2011/11astadium.jpg

Rudy
07-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Well Jaymo, I think I won't even get to the offseason of my first dynasty before the tuning set comes out fixing those progression issues. Although most people feel it's the initial ratings being too low that's the problem. Hopefully it gets fixed before my season ends. Just playing my 8th game in my first season right now so I have 4 left plus a bowl game.

Rudy
07-30-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm back to putting RBs in the kick and punt return positions - especially punt returners. The punt blocking is so bad that you usually get hit as soon as you catch a ball. With WRs having ball security 15-20 points lower than RBs I just can't risk fumbling the ball on returns as I saw two fumbles (I recovered both thankfully) in my last game. I still don't understand the NCAA team not putting in sliders for fumbles, injuries and fatigue this year.

UGA14
07-30-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm almost through my first season playing on default Heisman. The game is fun, though the pass D is tough. I've lost one game to Florida who lit my world up for 450+ passing yards. I've had some tight games, some OT games, and some games where I beat the fool out of my opponent. Overall, it's fun. Recruiting is harder with the difficulty options, but I'm still having decent success, though nowhere near what I used to be able to pull down.

Playing the game itself is actually fun. We'll see as the years progress if I run into more losses and difficulty and I really hope the progression issues you guys are seeing doesn't truly come to life.

I know one thing, after playing the Madden demo, this is much better. I was not impressed with that at all.

AustinWolv
07-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm back to putting RBs in the kick and punt return positions - especially punt returners. The punt blocking is so bad that you usually get hit as soon as you catch a ball. With WRs having ball security 15-20 points lower than RBs I just can't risk fumbling the ball on returns as I saw two fumbles (I recovered both thankfully) in my last game. I still don't understand the NCAA team not putting in sliders for fumbles, injuries and fatigue this year.

I tried putting better blockers out where the gunners are......doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I find a guy with the best acceleration with decent catch there, so I can at least get started for a few yards.

jaymo76
07-30-2010, 11:19 AM

I tottally agree... they should have added Madden 10's sliders for fumbles AND fatigue...

morsdraconis
07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I tried putting better blockers out where the gunners are......doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I find a guy with the best acceleration with decent catch there, so I can at least get started for a few yards.

It definitely feels like the returners are running in mud for the first 10 yards or so. Even with guys like Noel Devine back there with 98 acceleration, it still feels like running in mud.

Rudy
07-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I've got Vincent Smith back there returning punts. He did a nice job in the last game.

HWill
07-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm four years into my offline dynasty with Iowa State and I have noticed a few things:

Alabama: 56-0, 4 National Championships

New Mexico, South Carolina, Michigan State and Minnesota are now consistent top 10 teams

Georgia Tech QB's average about 350 passing yards a game

Past two Heisman winners have been Wide Receivers

I OU a Beatn
07-30-2010, 08:43 PM
This game is oh so close to getting trophy whore'd and traded into Gamestop. I've had just about enough of the garbage of people being able to sit in Cover 2 Man with press coverage and completely shut everything down, including the shotgun running game. Fix the stupid shit, EA.

JeffHCross
07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Anyone who had "17 days" in the "When does OU give up on the game" pool wins.

ram29jackson
07-30-2010, 09:21 PM
This game is oh so close to getting trophy whore'd and traded into Gamestop. I've had just about enough of the garbage of people being able to sit in Cover 2 Man with press coverage and completely shut everything down, including the shotgun running game. Fix the stupid shit, EA.

Just play dude, just play on

morsdraconis
07-30-2010, 09:32 PM

Welcome to playing online. I don't know why you people waste your time with playing a bunch of random morons.

I OU a Beatn
07-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Anyone who had "17 days" in the "When does OU give up on the game" pool wins.

It'll take me at least another 3 to platinum it. Getting to be a tradition. Buy the game, become bored of the bullshit that a super major company can't even program correctly, whore it, and then get rid of it. Usually I have Madden though, and considering how bad it is this year, looks like I'll be without a football game for a long while.

I OU a Beatn
07-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Welcome to playing online. I don't know why you people waste your time with playing a bunch of random morons.

It wasn't always that way, and these aren't random people. All of the top people in the tournament, so called "sim" players sit in the defense I mentioned earlier. Of course when you have great protection against the run and near unbeatable pass coverage if you have a good enough defense, I'd probably sit in it, too. It's really not their fault. If EA knew how to correctly program something as simple as man coverage, they wouldn't be able to abuse it.

ram29jackson
07-30-2010, 09:46 PM

because you guys arent always available and you / I want to play a human because different things happen than typical AI. I dont have friends that do this so you try to find a human element.

yes, true, ultimately the majority online are a waste of time to deal with.

JeffHCross
07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
All of the top people in the tournament, so called "sim" playersHonestly, there's nothing about that tournament that implies "sim player" to me. In fact, far from it.

I'd encourage you to wait until they announce the first Tuner set, just to see what they're changing. Then make your call.

rhombic21
07-30-2010, 10:55 PM

It doesn't even have anything to do with who you're playing against.

I OU a Beatn
07-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Honestly, there's nothing about that tournament that implies "sim player" to me. In fact, far from it.

I'd encourage you to wait until they announce the first Tuner set, just to see what they're changing. Then make your call.

I would usually agree, but EA has proven without a doubt the past 3 years that their patches don't improve a single thing from a gameplay standpoint. I'll probably end up keeping it just because I'm not impressed by Madden at all this year, but regardless, I'm highly disappointed how EA covered up flaws by basically making the AI psychic.

JeffHCross
07-31-2010, 12:53 AM
I would usually agree, but EA has proven without a doubt the past 3 years that their patches don't improve a single thing from a gameplay standpoint.Personally, I disagree completely. But it probably is a "your mileage may vary" situation.

I OU a Beatn
07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
I'm basing my experience on online play only. There's been some completely debility gameplay mechanic with every single game released so far this generation('08 was the severely over powered pass defense/ extreme over effectiveness of the toss and option, '09 had the rocket/strafe catch, '10 had run commit and a handful of other issues), and we've yet to see something come via a patch that truly fixed it. I'm sure they will fix a bunch of issues with their patch and tuner sets, but I'm almost very confident none of those fixes will benefit the online player. All they would have to do is lower the effectiveness of man coverage, improve zone coverage, and tone down how easy it is to get outside when running out of big formations. That. Is. Not. Hard. They're all 3 very basic issues that shouldn't even exist in the first place, but definitely should be able to be fixed. I'd bet any amount of money that not only one, but all of them get ignored.

Rudy
07-31-2010, 06:03 AM
A 3* DT (29th best) chose Oregon over me! And he's from Michigan - prick! First battle I was surprised when I lost. I didn't work him hard early and Oregon was able to stay on top. Oregon actually has the #1 class in my dynasty and I'm #3 with UM. I've got at least 10 4* kids now on AA difficulty. No 5* though but I never even tried. The best was a 5* kid but I've got enough young QBs. I don't like to over-recruit top talent.

sl8b
07-31-2010, 12:27 PM
With one child already and another one on the way... I have finally seen the light on "in game saves." I would love to see them because basically now I have to play late at night OR supersim a game if I dont' finish before my son finishes his nap.

I really wish we had them too. I work till midnight, then have to get up at 7-7:30 to get my son off to school, then do my online classes and either play a game or nap before work. In game saves would be awesome. When he was little and up a couple of times per night, that's what got me into coach mode. I'd coach a game with one hand at 4am and feed him his bottle with the other, lol. Madden 05 I think it was.

ebin
07-31-2010, 04:02 PM
A 3* DT (29th best) chose Oregon over me! And he's from Michigan - prick! First battle I was surprised when I lost. I didn't work him hard early and Oregon was able to stay on top. Oregon actually has the #1 class in my dynasty and I'm #3 with UM. I've got at least 10 4* kids now on AA difficulty. No 5* though but I never even tried. The best was a 5* kid but I've got enough young QBs. I don't like to over-recruit top talent.

That's funny. Playing as Oregon, I got the 14th ranked center out of Michigan. He had me in his top three from the beginning. I've never seen Oregon get the #1 class in the country, but I like it! :D

Rudy
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I've got the #1 class at the moment but I'm concerned. I've acquired 10 4* kids and 11 3* kids. I only have 4 schollies left and 4 guys are on my list. The 4* tackle is probably going to go to Arizona St (stupid school still hasn't even offered a scholly yet he's soft committed) so that really only leaves one opening for the offseason (I'm 10-0). Should I drop a few of the three star kids to leave some spots open for the offseason? How many new 4 or 5* kids will become available for offseason recruiting?

NCAA 11 seems to be prone to big offensive plays for me. People complained about NCAA 09 being wide open but I see a lot of big plays in NCAA 11 and I like it. I'm not a guy that yearns for 6-3 games and tons of punts. That's not college football anyways. You can just look at the BCS Bowl games to see that it's very rare for a team to win a big game scoring less than 20 points. In some ways it reminds me of NCAA 06 - big plays and big fun.

Press coverage is definitely risk and reward in this game and I like it. You can really get burned just like I burned Purdue en route to 10-0!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFL2p6JG2Hg

Rudy
07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
I guess this is probably a glitch but anyone go to kick a FG and have the camera shifted over about 10 feet? Makes it hard to pick a good angle. I've seen this a couple times on FGs but saw this today on an XP too.

JeffHCross
07-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Yep, I've seen it on several FGs. I think it has to do with the distance of the kick. Well, I haven't had it shifted "over", but I've had the camera about 10 yards behind where it should be.

morsdraconis
07-31-2010, 08:21 PM
It doesn't even have anything to do with who you're playing against.

Yes it does. I've played assholes that play lame as hell and I've played REALLY straight playing people online so it has EVERYTHING to do with who you're playing against. Random people online that do nothing but the same bullshit all the time is a waste of breath.

Play a sim person and you get what this game is all about. Strategy and luck with a little bit of stick skills.

jaymo76
07-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Played my first game in season four (Arizona St vs. BYU) With wonky progression we are now both C+ off. B- def. and C+ overall. Both teams have a lot of freshman and ALL freshman have very low awareness (40-44 on avg.). It was as interesting game. I won 34-26. Basically my QB and half my offensive line are rookies. My QB played awful, I had no time to pass the ball and my RB's were regularly brought down behind the line. BYU had a rookie RB who had the worst game ever played (22 rushes 58 yards and SEVEN fumbles + 2 drops). Here are some of the basic stats.

23 total penalties for both teams.... first 7 plays were penalties
three missed extra points
two missed field goals
four ints by my freshman QB
seven fumbles by BYU's freshman RB
thirteen drops (8 for my team)
seven sacks by the cpu D

I didn't use any game planning. I just played the game as usual. I really, really, really hope that the tuners can "fix" the awareness issue because if this game was an indication of what it will be like for the rest of the season, it will be a deal breaker for continuing to play. The #7 team in the country versus a strong (in the game anyways) BYU programme should not have a total of 13 turnovers in a game...

gschwendt
08-01-2010, 06:15 AM
I guess this is probably a glitch but anyone go to kick a FG and have the camera shifted over about 10 feet? Makes it hard to pick a good angle. I've seen this a couple times on FGs but saw this today on an XP too.

Yep, I've seen it on several FGs. I think it has to do with the distance of the kick. Well, I haven't had it shifted "over", but I've had the camera about 10 yards behind where it should be.
My guess is that it has something to do with picking the FG play too quickly, particularly before a replay has a chance to start.

My worst example of this was on an XP when I scored from ~50 yards out and then quickly called the XP kick. I then saw the kicker for a split second at the ~50 yard line while the rest of the team was setup in the normal XP position. The kicker then quickly warped to his normal spot but the camera remained at the ~50 yard line.

jaymo76
08-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I have seen the weird camera glitch on two extra points. The camera looks to be placed on the sideline and just like with field goals, it's really difficult to line up the kick.

JeffHCross
08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah, it could be something like that G.

AustinWolv
08-01-2010, 05:05 PM
You guys jinxed me. I hadn't seen that FG camera glitch until reading this thread and then saw it this morning.

JeffHCross
08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
You're welcome, friend. ;)

Rudy
08-02-2010, 06:15 AM
I must say it's nice to play in the Big 10 and my last two games have been cold and I see the player's breath out there.

I suppose this is already listed in a glitch thread somewhere but when they highlight a defensive player pre-game his stats are screwed up.

And while my sliders may be a touch easy right now (will address for season #2) I won my 3rd game where I trailed in the 4th quarter. That's 7 wins of 7 points or less now and I just beat #17 Wisconsin at home to go to 11-0! I'm ranked #3 and have my last game @ #2 OSU. OSU is 11-0 and only ranked below undefeated Bama. This will be tough but this has been a great year to play for me. So many close games makes it fun. And despite many people's hatred of college football's postseason, the pressure to win every game makes NCAA dynasty a blast. It also makes every game exciting unlike Madden's franchise where you play some, sim some and just worry about slipping in to the playoffs. One loss? Four losses? Seven losses? Who cares as long as you make the playoffs. Not so in NCAA where there is pressure to win every game.

Could Michigan Win it All?

Wisconsin comes in to the Big House actually favoured by some. Both Wisconsin and Michigan have Top 10 ranked rushing games but their passing attacks are weak (Wisconsin 97, UM 107). Wisconsin leads Michigan in all defensive categories as well with an overall ranking of 14 vs. 26 for UM. Michigan has run/pass defense rankings of 13/46 compared to Wisconsin's 7/29.

This game was played and was just another classic game that came down to the end. Michigan was up 14-7 in the 2nd quarter and had pinned Wisconsin on it's own 3 yard line. They drove the length of the field and Clay scored on a 40 yard TD screen pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh__n3ugAe4

What makes it worse is on the next possession Forcier gets sacked, fumbles and Wisconsin returns it for a TD and 21-14 lead. A late FG cuts the half time lead to 21-17. Michigan gets a 3rd quarter FG to close to 21-20 as the 4th quarter begins.

The Wolverines get their 3rd pick of the game and nearly return it for a TD but punch it in for a 26-21 lead. The 2 point convert fails. UM holds Clay in check all game but struggles to cover Nick Toon and the Badger receivers. Wisconsin is able to drive the field and score to lead 28-26. They also get the 2 point convert to go up 29-26 with just under two minutes left. UM still has two timeouts (failed challenge earlier).

First play of the final drive Wisconsin uses press coverage and gets burned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFniFEGwEyQ

With little time on the clock Michigan has one more chance before settling for a FG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHHBiPQJWrM

Michigan wins! Michigan wins! That's three last minute scores and wins on the year and UM is now 11-0 and setting up for their final game in the Horseshoe!

This was the #2 greatest game of all time (score 958).

Forcier: 11-18, 161 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Tolzien (hurt at end): 13-20, 240 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

M.Shaw (UM): 16-167 yards, 1 TD (58 yard TD run)
J.Clay: 20-74, 1 TD

Nick Toon also caught 5 balls for 92 yards despite double coverage. Kovacs had 2 INTs for UM and Van Bergen had 6 tackles and 2 sacks as well.

UGA14
08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I haven't played anymore since I read about the glitches in dynasty mode. I've played all the way through but I don't want to progress until the tuner set is released. I recruited a lot of 3 and 4 star talent, I don't want to see all of my players rated in the 50s and 60s with... basically a top-out at 70 rating.

jaymo76
08-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Man this game NEEDS DYNAMIC RIVALRIES. Please EA/Tiburon, add dynamic rivalries for 12. In season four I just finished another game against Stanford.

Season 1: 24-22 ASU #3 RANKED GAME
Season 2: 16-14 ASU #2 RANKED GAME
Season 3: 45-7 STAN (they blew me out~ this score is flattering)
Season 4: 31-14 ASU (I scored two late td's~ it was a tough game)

I seriously hate playing Stanford now. The games are so tough but so exciting. A win feels like the BCS championship while a loss is devastating. These games are just so fun to play. My "natural" rival Arizona is AWFUL in this game. They are now ranked #109 with a C- overall. The games aren't remotely exciting and it's a real shame that this game gets such hype from the broadcasters and the AD comments. This year I fully expect to put up at least 40 on Arizona... again. WE NEED DYNAMIC RIVALRIES TO REMEDY THIS ISSUE!!!

ebin
08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Man this game NEEDS DYNAMIC RIVALRIES.

This would be a GREAT feature. Playing As NMSU, I've noticed that I'm competing with (and losing to) the same schools (SMU, North Texas) for recruits, so I've started scheduling non-conference games against them. I'd love to see a rivalry with SMU develop over time.

Rudy
08-03-2010, 05:28 AM
I won the Big 10, I won the Thorpe (Kovacs) which seems to be easy to do again and I won the Lombardi with Van Bergen who had 8 sacks on the year. That was a pleasant surprise.

ram29jackson
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I won the Big 10, I won the Thorpe (Kovacs) which seems to be easy to do again and I won the Lombardi with Van Bergen who had 8 sacks on the year. That was a pleasant surprise.

no AI had more sacks ?

griffin2608
08-03-2010, 02:18 PM
After getting into the dynasty mode the glitter of the new game has fell off. If EA says that they test a game and actually advance past the first year of dynasty, there are two possibilities. EA is a big fat liar or they hire blind chimps to test the game.

ram29jackson
08-03-2010, 05:30 PM
After getting into the dynasty mode the glitter of the new game has fell off. If EA says that they test a game and actually advance past the first year of dynasty, there are two possibilities. EA is a big fat liar or they hire blind chimps to test the game.

arent blind chimps amd teen agers, pretty much the same thing:P

cdj
08-03-2010, 05:31 PM

What specifically are you seeing? Progression issue or something else?

morsdraconis
08-03-2010, 05:51 PM

I'm sure it's the progression issue plus the fact that teams like Georgia Tech don't get scrambling QBs that are really causing issues.

I know it's happened for me and I'm only in season 4.

Rudy
08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
no AI had more sacks ?

I didn't check the cpu guys. I was stunned that I won it with only 8 sacks. He might have had a bunch of tackles. I know he outplayed Craig Roh who was my impact DE. Roh only had about 1 sack through the first half of the season but ended up with 6 or 7.

I'll try to check the cpu sack leaders tonight and report back.

Other weather related note - I saw a complaint about too many rain games in the SEC. I know that used to be an issue a couple years ago but in the Big 10 I don't think I had anything but clear skies all year. The last 3 games were below freezing which was cool. Anybody see issue with too much rain in the south?

morsdraconis
08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
I've actually been a bit disappointed with the fact that I haven't had any snow games and very little rain games with my teambuilder Massachusetts team. Lots of cold games, and maybe a rainy one here or there, but, for the most part, it's been fairly calm with a few gusty wind games.

morsdraconis
08-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Also, had a VERY interesting end of the season for season 3 of my offline Teambuilder dynasty. 6 teams went undefeated (myself, Alabama, Miami, Michigan, Boise State, and Stanford) which made for an interesting MNC setup of Miami getting passed over by Stanford for the MNC spot against Alabama even though Miami was ranked higher than Stanford in the Coaches Poll but not the Media Poll.

mundo
08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I am disappointed in the progression issues (mainly because it seems like an unintended problem they should have caught) and some of the coverage issues but am ultimately willing to see how effective the tuner fixes or any other patches will be. Based on the "Thank You" blog they put out in the last week, they appear to be aware of the issues and intend to address them. I am willing to give them that chance.

In the end I think they have made a lot progress on offensive concepts, blocking, and momentum and I am having fun with this game still. There actually appears to be a "personality" with teams not just in play style but with the type of players they have (power running, speed to the outside, zero run game so need controlled passing, etc). I look forward to putting in some dynasty years and trying out different styles.

jaymo76
08-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I've actually been a bit disappointed with the fact that I haven't had any snow games and very little rain games with my teambuilder Massachusetts team. Lots of cold games, and maybe a rainy one here or there, but, for the most part, it's been fairly calm with a few gusty wind games.

+1 ... I have played 1 rain game in 3.5 seasons and zero snow games. I am purposely scheduling cold area teams just to see more diverse weather but it's not happening. Also, speaking of scheduling, I have found this years game to be the most difficult to choose who I want to play. My open weeks never have the competion I want where as last year I could always get a few good games.

I will agree with you that some of the polish is off of this game and the progression really hurts it badly (eg field goals + fumbles are real game killers by season four). However, I am still having a blast with it and even if I stopped playing today, I would have got my money's worth. The improvemens from 10 to 11 were massive. On a personal sidenote though, recruiting, which I really liked at the beginning has become a chore and is getting pretty repetitive.... oh well...

JBHuskers
08-04-2010, 12:12 AM
I've played in a TON of rain games for both systems.

Cipher 8
08-04-2010, 12:32 AM
One season with Michigan two rain games one snow game and two other cold weather games that had very windy conditions.

Rudy
08-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Just checked the league leaders in sacks in my one season and they seemed low. The leader was13.5 sacks from Akron. The only BCS player who was in double digits was R.Elmore from Arizona. He had 12.5 sacks, 82 tackles and 31 tackles for loss! I guess my guy Van Bergen (46 tackles, 8 sacks, 16 TFL) got the Lombardi due to overall record. 8 sacks was good for #17 in the NCAA.

griffin2608
08-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Progression, teams recruiting, and depth chart. The CPU will load up half its board with 5* and 4* recruits when it is a 1* or 2* program. The Teams will still sign 12 QB's and 15 WR's. And the depth chart is still completely wacked out. Teams do not recruit to their style of play and many of the things EA said in their blogs about recruiting was a complete lie.

morsdraconis
08-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Just checked the league leaders in sacks in my one season and they seemed low. The leader was13.5 sacks from Akron. The only BCS player who was in double digits was R.Elmore from Arizona. He had 12.5 sacks, 82 tackles and 31 tackles for loss! I guess my guy Van Bergen (46 tackles, 8 sacks, 16 TFL) got the Lombardi due to overall record. 8 sacks was good for #17 in the NCAA.

10-13 sacks a year is VERY much right where it should be. Not very often are there more than a few guys with double digit sacks in the NCAA.

And, yeah, I've seen overall record influence the "voting" on those awards as well.

Had a TE with 70 catches for 1,000ish yards and 15 TDs win the Heisman in a simulated offline dynasty I was doing to test some stuff out mainly because he was on an undefeated team.

steelerfan
08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
many of the things EA said in their blogs about recruiting was a complete lie.

Care to elaborate?

griffin2608
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Care to elaborate?

"Once Prospects were working properly we moved on to the CPU Teams and how they recruit. In years past, the CPU has not been very competitive in Recruiting. To ensure they would provide a challenge, we changed how the CPU goes about all aspects of Recruiting; from how they order their Recruiting Board to how they pick which Prospects they are going to call:"

Right out of blog 3:3 from ea. Dont believe me when I say the recruiting board is screwed up, create a coach and sign on at a 1* school then set the recruiting to cpu and check the board. I will be full of players they have no chance of signing.

"The logic behind how the CPU calls prospects has been completely reworked. If the CPU wants a Recruit, they are going to start spending the maximum amount of time possible early and often until he signs. At the same time they are much smarter at giving up on Players they do not have a shot at signing, so they don’t waste Recruiting Time. The real key to this rework is how the system changes over the course of a season. For example, early in the Season it’s still anyone’s game for most Prospects, so they will continue to call a Prospect even if they are behind to try and make up ground. As the season progresses, that gap gets smaller and they really start to focus on Prospects they can get to commit."

Those same 4* and 5* guys stay on the recruiting board of a 1* team all season unless they committ. Also all you have to do is look at the CPU teams rosters 3-4 years into dynasty. Teams do not recruit to their strengths/playbook, and they still sign way to many QB's and WR's when they have needs at other positions. It feels like I am being ridiculed here by pointing out known flaws in the game. I like the game personally, and I am in my 5th year with my teams but there is only so far you can go into dynasty with progression screwed up, and teams starting WR at the tackle position because they loose their starting OL. All of my points are legit and no one who has played the game should need me to point out proof of what I am saying.

http://ncaafootball.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=Dynasty%20Blog%203%20of%203:%20 Recruiting%20Logic%20and%20Extras

Read that and the other 2 blogs and see for yourself.

morsdraconis
08-04-2010, 08:54 PM
First off, relax. We want proof so that we can provide proof to the developers.

I've also seen issues with teams having multiple QBs and WRs on their team because they're an Air Raid offense and the CPU is prioritizing it for some reason above everything else.

And there are definitely issues with teams not getting going after QBs that fit their offensive scheme, but they never said teams would be doing that to begin with so while it sucks, it's not the end of the world.

As for the recruiting issue, well, it's not an issue. Just because it's on their list doesn't mean that they are actually spending time on the recruit. They are setting it up to go after guys that have even the smallest chance of signing with the school to make the CPU have a chance at getting that recruit. Just because it's a 1 star program doesn't mean that they don't occasionally have a chance of getting a 3 or 4 star recruit. It does happen in real life. The CPU is just doing it's due diligence at trying to get the best recruits it can.

Cipher 8
08-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Van Bergen is a complete beast. In my Michigan dynasty it was between him and my brother who was playing as TCU for sack lead. I broke the Michigan school record at some point in the season and finished second with something like 15.0 sacks. That Roh guy, star impact player, didn't even crack 10.

steelerfan
08-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Griffin, I'm not sure anyone has ridiculed you (certainly not in what I've read). I asked "Care to elaborate?" for the basic reason mors indicated. It's much more useful to say what's broken than to generically state that everything EA said is a lie.

Furthermore, let's see how the tuner (which is supposed to address progression and recruiting issues) works before we over-react. It's possible that something they did in the late stages of development messed these things up (ie uniform degradation). Calling them liars is reactionary, pointing out specific flaws is useful.

griffin2608
08-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Ok sorry guys, I am so used to being on other forums ( OS, EA). I am not bitter or mad at EA I have been a fan of ncaa since bill walsh. Sometimes I call it like I see it and if any body thinks that this is the first lie EA has told then good for you. LOL. Now hopefully issues are fixed or kinda fixed with tuners and patches but its not just air raid teams its every team in 2013 with way to many QB's and WR's, and when the first 10-15 recruits on a board are guys way out of a teams league. If the CPU would adjust their board during the season I could understand that point but it does not. And a quick way to check it out is to look at the screen that shows how much time a team is spending on a guy and these teams are spending their time on these guys and they never show up in the top 10. I think this is leading to the CPU having to settle for what ever recruits they can get leading to multiple QB's and WR's.

griffin2608
08-05-2010, 09:24 AM
DrZoidberg29 posted this in the utopia forums it kind of explains it better.

Dynasty is broken therefor the game is broken. Yeah many issues of past games are present but the glaring error on EA's part is dynasty player progression & the CPU recruiting. Both issues are at best a cluster fuck and that is being kind. I read this yesterday, Bill Abner, (sports gamer who writes honest reviews IMHO)

My link

The most important aspect of any progression system is stability over time. No matter the season, you want to retain the original ratings composition in aggregate, because if you don't, the game is going to play very, very differently.

How bad is it? In Bill's dynasty in 2014, 55 of 120 teams have a rating of "D+" or lower. In the default ratings when you begin the game, there were 17. That's right--almost half the teams are rated D+ or below.

Teams rated "A-" or higher? In 2014, there are zero. Zero. In 2010, there 12. And the change in "B" and "C" rated teams is almost as pronounced.

It's not just progression that's broken, either. The CPU can't manage a roster, hoarding players at certain positions and ignoring others.

What needs fixed via a patch?

* Make sure all teams carry more than 1 kicker and punter.

* Make the kicker recruits a bit better to avoid having ANY team with a 40 rated kicker. At that rating they miss extra points like they're 35 yard FGs.

* Recruits need to look at team depth charts and sign with a lesser school rather than be the #9 wide out on USC's roster.

* Along these same lines, teams need to recruit more evenly by position. Carrying a total of 3 offensive guards isn't going to cut it when a team has 15 positions filled for HBs and WRs.

* Small schools need to have enough talent in certain areas to at least make it interesting. It's mainly an Awareness issue. Players are fast enough but the AWR is so low that they are truly awful players with little chance to compete on any level. The Northwestern example above is apt here. Northwestern shouldn't be nearly as good as Ohio State but it shouldn't be like playing against my 9 year old daughter's soccer team. 55 teams should not be rated a D; that's insane.

* Have players progress DURING the year. NCAA used to do this, now, it doesn't and it makes no sense. Your freshman rated a 60 at the start of the year is still a 60 by bowl season. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

* Finally, fix the bottom rung player recruits so that teams are not fielding players with the football IQ of my mother in law. After a few seasons you are going to see some magnificently AWFUL players in your dynasty. Dropped passes, fumbles, crazy throws...it's the bad news bears.

morsdraconis
08-05-2010, 12:57 PM
The tuner is out so hopefully that fixes the issues.

I'll be simming again several seasons to see for sure here in a bit.

Rudy
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm heart broken after losing the BCS game to Bama in OT. In some ways I'm happy since I shouldn't have been able to make it there (harder sliders coming for year 2) but it was still tough. I will say that I actually had some success running play action. Furthermore, Bama chose defense when winning the flip in OT so that was good. I was up 13-10 in OT and stuffed Bama on their first two plays to force a 3rd and 18 from the 33. I double covered Jones but they went to the other side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBsy3GTDPtY&feature=player_embedded

cdj
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Man.....that's a rough way to lose. Looked like you had the QB dead to rights when he got that pass off. Does that kind of loss make you want to step away for a day or two or even more motivated to start the next season?

jaymo76
08-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I've been going back and forth between NCAA and the Madden demo and I think overall I am in the minority, but I much prefer running the ball in Madden. There almost seems to be too much ease and control in NCAA and breaking a 50 yard run is a regular occurance in each game. I find Madden very responsive yet not too overdone. I think that RB's are a little too good in NCAA this year, regardless of slider tweaks.

HuskerBlitz
08-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Geez....I think my longest run is a 38-yarder. :(

morsdraconis
08-06-2010, 12:41 AM

I've actually broken a 95 yarder before (which was REALLY awesome to have happen), but I rarely break them for longer than 25-30 yards myself.

HuskerBlitz
08-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Actually I take that back. I did have a 44-yarder in one of my last games. It was off an option where I gained about 15 yards with the QB before pitching it.

Rudy
08-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Man.....that's a rough way to lose. Looked like you had the QB dead to rights when he got that pass off. Does that kind of loss make you want to step away for a day or two or even more motivated to start the next season?

That was actually me in the QB's face and I got a late jump on the snap since I was trying to make an adjustment.

The loss doesn't really bother me at all. It was a great game to play. After Bama jumped out to a 10-0 lead right away I thought I was going to get smoked but Ingram got hurt and I was able to hang around. I'll be back recruiting and doing the offseason stuff so I can get back to playing right away. It will probably take me at least a couple hours of off season gaming to get back to playing an actual game. But I'll be back!

Cipher 8
08-07-2010, 03:51 AM

Yeah Idk but I haven't broke too many long runs, I'de say about 5 or 6 total among all my games played... I break away for my fair share of 10-20 but not many 40+

I OU a Beatn
08-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I Form Tight/Strong I Tackle Over/Ace Jumbo Z Stretch or Toss. Slide Protect towards the side the run is going to. You guys will be busting 50+ yard gains with regularity in no time.

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I Form Tight/Strong I Tackle Over/Ace Jumbo Z Stretch or Toss. Slide Protect towards the side the run is going to. You guys will be busting 50+ yard gains with regularity in no time.

Any outside pitch from the I will result in HUGE, HUGE gains. I run a 3 back philosophy and every game one of them will break out to the sides for a long gain. The Defense on pitches needs to be tuned and tighter.

I OU a Beatn
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't think tuning it would fix it. I don't know why, but the entire defense gets sucked in towards the middle of the line on big formation toss/stretch/counter plays. If you have a lead blocker and are able to pick up the remaining defender, it's clear sailing to the endzone. Everyone and their mother runs it online, which accounts for about 80% of my frustration with it.

rhombic21
08-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I think tuning might be able to fix it. The crux of the problem with the running game is that defensive awareness is too low. Assuming that there's some way to tune it so that defenders recognize the running play and react by filling their various gaps quicker, then there's a way to tune it. Basically some kind of "run recognition" slider.

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't think tuning it would fix it. I don't know why, but the entire defense gets sucked in towards the middle of the line on big formation toss/stretch/counter plays. If you have a lead blocker and are able to pick up the remaining defender, it's clear sailing to the endzone. Everyone and their mother runs it online, which accounts for about 80% of my frustration with it.

Bingo... the LEAD BLOCKER is like a steam roller this year!!!

AustinWolv
08-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Slide Protect towards the side the run is going to.

See, people mention that on forums regularly, but it has been refuted time and again by the devs and by other players that the line calls don't apply to the running game.

I ran plays in practice before, trying with and without line calls, and noticed basically no difference in the yards that my RB was getting. Haven't run that experiment this year though.

jaymo76
08-09-2010, 01:27 PM
See, people mention that on forums regularly, but it has been refuted time and again by the devs and by other players that the line calls don't apply to the running game.

I ran plays in practice before, trying with and without line calls, and noticed basically no difference in the yards that my RB was getting. Haven't run that experiment this year though.

Yup... but it makes no sense whatsoever that it doesn't work. When I played football, amazingly coach could call slide block R or slide block L for run and pass. You would think it would be an easy fix but who knows???

Rudy
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
One thing I do like are the in game cut-scenes that are almost real time presentation. Stuff like the DL bumping into each other after a sack or stop, the QB cheering someone on or chewing out an OL, etc. I prefer the on field cut scenes to the fan ones although the fans (and coaches if they make a return) can be interesting.

ram29jackson
08-09-2010, 09:40 PM
some tuner set eh ? i'm still getting balls batted down left and right by def. linemen- whatever haha , I still like the game- last 2 years of ncaa were a joke compared to this year

jaymo76
08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
some tuner set eh ? i'm still getting balls batted down left and right by def. linemen- whatever haha , I still like the game- last 2 years of ncaa were a joke compared to this year

Agreed on both counts. I know a lot of people say the tuner has made a difference but I still see a ton of blocked passes by the DL but I will say not as many by the LB's.

AustinWolv
08-10-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm seeing less knocked down by the DL. They still occur, but not as often.

griffin2608
08-10-2010, 09:09 AM

I thought that too, I just took the job with Clemson that was offered to me in my dynasty. I was playing the first game vs Ole Miss and my D was swatting down passes left and right. I was like WHF then I looked at my DT that was getting all the swats and he is 6'7" tall. I started looking at who was swatting down passes and mostly its really tall guys which is realistic.

ram29jackson
08-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I thought that too, I just took the job with Clemson that was offered to me in my dynasty. I was playing the first game vs Ole Miss and my D was swatting down passes left and right. I was like WHF then I looked at my DT that was getting all the swats and he is 6'7" tall. I started looking at who was swatting down passes and mostly its really tall guys which is realistic.

theres plenty of tall lineman in college, that doesnt mean the ball gets swatted once every series.

no, it isnt realistic.

jaymo76
08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Still loving this game but the DB's running the slant routes better than your receivers is getting to be a bit much. The majority of the time my recievers are covered like glue and you can't even lead the reciever because the DB is in front of him. If this issue can't be patched then my time with this game will become very limited~ at first it was a little annoying, then it became a pain in the butt, and now it's downright infuriating. Little things like this turn out to be major issues over time and it needs to be addressed ASAP.

AustinWolv
08-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Still loving this game but the DB's running the slant routes better than your receivers is getting to be a bit much. The majority of the time my recievers are covered like glue and you can't even lead the reciever because the DB is in front of him. If this issue can't be patched then my time with this game will become very limited~ at first it was a little annoying, then it became a pain in the butt, and now it's downright infuriating. Little things like this turn out to be major issues over time and it needs to be addressed ASAP.

What do you have the pass coverage slider set at?

JeffHCross
08-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Yup... but it makes no sense whatsoever that it doesn't work. When I played football, amazingly coach could call slide block R or slide block L for run and pass. You would think it would be an easy fix but who knows???Yes and no. Sure, it's an "easy fix", but why would they fix something they don't consider broken? It's not designed to help the running game. Slide Protection, in NCAA, is designed for pass protection only.

And while I'll agree that there are probably some coaches that use it ... I'd venture to guess there are a lot more that don't. Our slide protection schemes had no bearing on our run blocking, even on the rare plays that we actually used zone blocking techniques.

jaymo76
08-11-2010, 12:35 AM
What do you have the pass coverage slider set at?

That's the thing... I had been playing with the cpu pass D at 40. Now I will say that my receivers are pretty avg. this year but the issue isn't the receivers it's the dbs. What do you have your D pass covg at? Sounds like you're not seeing an issue?

jaymo76
08-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes and no. Sure, it's an "easy fix", but why would they fix something they don't consider broken? It's not designed to help the running game. Slide Protection, in NCAA, is designed for pass protection only.

And while I'll agree that there are probably some coaches that use it ... I'd venture to guess there are a lot more that don't. Our slide protection schemes had no bearing on our run blocking, even on the rare plays that we actually used zone blocking techniques.

I am curious as to what is tougher to programme... zone blocking or manual L/R slide?

AustinWolv
08-11-2010, 07:15 AM
That's the thing... I had been playing with the cpu pass D at 40. Now I will say that my receivers are pretty avg. this year but the issue isn't the receivers it's the dbs. What do you have your D pass covg at? Sounds like you're not seeing an issue?

Playing on Heisman with CPU pass coverage is at 30 or 35, can't recall which right now. There is separation, but good CBs will stay with slants.....not every time though, so if it is open, it is open. If not, look elsewhere quickly. My WRs will get open on ins and outs too, but not every time.

morsdraconis
08-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I lowered mine from 50 to 40 on All-American and saw a SIGNIFICANT improvement in coverage abilities. Granted, against superior talent it's still gonna be tough, but I've been pretty happy with the results against with the slider at 40. Tempted to go down to 35 to see how much more of a difference it makes.

jaymo76
08-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I lowered mine from 50 to 40 on All-American and saw a SIGNIFICANT improvement in coverage abilities. Granted, against superior talent it's still gonna be tough, but I've been pretty happy with the results against with the slider at 40. Tempted to go down to 35 to see how much more of a difference it makes.

I might try 35 today if I get a chance. I have a new FIVE STAR STUD raw freshman as my starting QB so I will see how he does. Hey get this, he's giving Jamarcus Russel a run for his money: Cory Covington 6'6 275lbs. That's a big, big QB.

morsdraconis
08-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I might try 35 today if I get a chance. I have a new FIVE STAR STUD raw freshman as my starting QB so I will see how he does. Hey get this, he's giving Jamarcus Russel a run for his money: Cory Covington 6'6 275lbs. That's a big, big QB.

Holy shit, that's a HUGE QB. Was he a QB prospect or an ATH? I've never seen a QB that freakin' big.

AustinWolv
08-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Jared Lorenzen

ebin
08-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Holy shit, that's a HUGE QB. Was he a QB prospect or an ATH? I've never seen a QB that freakin' big.

I've got a 6-7, 265lbs TE with 81 THA and 94 THP. Rates out as an 81 OVR at QB.

jaymo76
08-11-2010, 06:41 PM

He was the #2 ranked QB.

morsdraconis
08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I will definitely have to look more at the QB prospects. Especially since I am finally a [6star] prestige team in my offline dynasty.

Rudy
08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I got one 5* recruit to quick commit this year. I'm going after less players but higher rated recruits. Quality over quantity this year. I've got a lot of great players in my Top 10 right now (plus two hard commits through 4 weeks) and I'm pretty much spending the full 60 minutes on each guy in my Top 10. I really hope there isn't an epic fail.

I do notice that some of the LBs are really undersized. Some are even under 200 lbs. Do they gain weight over the years of my dynasty? That's something I never pay attention to. I'm running the 3-4 and I need bigger players at their positions.

morsdraconis
08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I do notice that some of the LBs are really undersized. Some are even under 200 lbs. Do they gain weight over the years of my dynasty? That's something I never pay attention to. I'm running the 3-4 and I need bigger players at their positions.

That's an excellent question and one I've not really noticed. I will pay more attention to progressions and such next time when I sim through a few seasons.

AustinWolv
08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
That's an excellent question and one I've not really noticed. I will pay more attention to progressions and such next time when I sim through a few seasons.

Pretty sure they did at the end of last-gen. I damn can't recall if they do in this/next-gen.

morsdraconis
08-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Pretty sure they did at the end of last-gen. I damn can't recall if they do in this/next-gen.

'10, they definitely gained weight but I never actually looked for this year to see if they did or not.

JeffHCross
08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I am curious as to what is tougher to programme... zone blocking or manual L/R slide?I would presume zone blocking. Zone blocking requires artificial intelligence to be programmed to determine who to block on a given play. Of course, we see the results of that this year with the blocking AI (which is particularly interesting to watch on Zone blocking plays). Manual L/R slide requires no intelligence, just a direction to go/follow.

Again, I think this goes back to fundamental design. I don't believe they intend for slide protection to do anything on running plays. So it's not "broken", and I don't really think it's something they play to do either. You never know, but I wouldn't think so.

cdj
08-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Let's move all discussion to our new Impressions thread (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?796-Share-your-impressions-of-NCAA-Football-11-(Post-patch-2-LTP-2)&p=18641#post18641) since we now have two game updates and two Live Tuning Packages since the game was released.