PDA

View Full Version : Air Raid - Everything You Need To Know

Dr Death
07-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks to HWill for posting the link - I am in the middle of burning some DVD's of old football games for a trade I am involved in and he got the link posted in the R&S thread. I thought I would start an Air Raid thread because it deserves its own thread and I didn't want it getting buried in the other one. Enjoy this. It might take you a week to get through it all, if you watch all the videos, but it's well worth the time!

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond

A huge THANK YOU to HWill for getting it on here!

jolson88
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I can't wait to digest all of this!

jolson88
07-10-2012, 10:44 PM
How's the WVU playbook this year? With Dana Holgorsen as Head Coach, I would think that it would be a pretty awesome Air Raid playbook. Anybody give it a try yet?

gigemaggs99
07-15-2012, 09:20 AM
I like the first video, were UK beats Bama for the first time in 75 years, simple logic....WE WON NOW LET'S BREAK SOME SH!T LOL

Thanks for posting the link. Dr. Death are you moving away from the RNS? I've always enjoyed your breakdown and knowledge you've passed on, on the RNS. It's helped me learn a lot. Are you leaning more towards the Raid now? If so it will be nice to see some of your breakdown/information.

Hope to see more soon! :popcorn:

JeffHCross
07-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think Dr. Death has used the RNS in game for years, because the RNS representation in the game isn't all that accurate (plus you could never really run out of Shotgun, which is a fundamental to how the RNS really runs).

Dr Death
07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
I like the first video, were UK beats Bama for the first time in 75 years, simple logic....WE WON NOW LET'S BREAK SOME SH!T LOL

Thanks for posting the link. Dr. Death are you moving away from the RNS? I've always enjoyed your breakdown and knowledge you've passed on, on the RNS. It's helped me learn a lot. Are you leaning more towards the Raid now? If so it will be nice to see some of your breakdown/information.

Hope to see more soon! :popcorn:

I wouldn't say I am moving away from the R&S, I've always posted about it because I've been studying it for - now - over 22 years. The Air Raid I've only been following since Mike Leach arrived at :Oklahoma: and then :Texas_Tech:. Both offenses are great, though both have had games where they've been stopped cold. But hey, name one offense that has never been stopped cold and I'll hand you a million bucks!

Back in 2002 I was watching the :Oakland_Raiders: and that was the year that Rich Gannon just went off. I have every game from that year on tape or DVD and I noticed that whenever they went 5-Wide, they were unstoppable. Problem was, they didn't go 5-Wide that often, but w/ Charlie Garner out of the backfield and lined up as the slot WR on the Trips side, nobody could stop them.

So that gave me an idea to create an offense based on the West Coast, which is what the :Oakland_Raiders: were running, the R&S and the Air Raid. I've used it in real life and it works and in the game I can recreate about 85% of my offense, so that's what I do in the game. Like my sig says: 5-Wide & Throw Often. It's my offense but it's based on 3 different offenses. You pick something you like from each one and create your own.

I still love the R&S, love the Air Raid and love the WCO. And I really love my 5-Wide attack!

Just got back in town from Philadelphia and seeing Roger Waters from the front row, dead center! Met Dave Kilminster, lead guitarist, and what a classy and super nice man! The show was my 6th Wall show and it never gets old. Just mind blowing! I'll be posting again tomorrow. Right now I have a huge review to write for a Pink Floyd/Roger Waters site I am on and I am really tired. Lots of drinking, very little sleep and jet-lag!!! :D

morsdraconis
07-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Am I reading it right that BYU ran the Air Raid system under LaVell Edwards in the 70s and 80s? That would be VERY interesting considering Steve Young came from that system (and would be the only QB to come from that system that has been successful in the NFL).

JeffHCross
07-15-2012, 03:31 PM
It's hard to pin down exactly when the BYU Air Raid began, but it certainly started no earlier than when LaVell Edwards started at BYU in 1972. Norm Chow started calling plays in 1982. Doug Scovil was the OC before that, including with Jim McMahon.

It's also important to note that the line between the BYU Air Raid and the One-Back Spread is very, very blurry. There are several concepts that bounce back and forth between them, or are just flat used by both. And there are plenty of "successful" NFL quarterbacks (and teams) that use the One-back Spread concepts.

gigemaggs99
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I think to be successful in the NFL you have to beyond awesome, I'm not sure how much it matters if they are system QB or not. There are really only 30+ starting QBs in the NFL and many play for multiple years (most extreme Favre), so it's not like the really good guys in college ever even get a chance.

That being said, it seems like the WCO works on short quick passing plays, basically taking what the defense gives you, then you slam in some runs up the gut. It seems like the Air Raid is very similar, quick passing game to supplement the run game, then nice runs up the gut when you numbers in your favor.

So if Steve Young could read the defense and operate the Air Raid at BYU then going to the 49ers and running the WCO would seem like a good fit if you ask me. Being left handed which gives the defense something else to look for helps too.

JeffHCross
07-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Chris Brown (of the SmartFootball site linked above) also wrote this piece at Grantland, detailing Dana Holgorsen's version of the Airraid: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7005204/louisiana-state-vs-west-virginia

gigemaggs99
07-15-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm really liking the default Air Raid PB, it has the old ttu/Leach style w/ the Strong H Pro, then all the regulars (Mesh, Cross Flood, Shallow Cross Series, Smash, Switch).

I like to keep things simple, and it seems like running these plays out of multiple formations gives the "look" of a complex offense when really, it's only a handful of plays to learn inside and out then confuse the heck out of the defense with multiple looks.

I looked in my "bag of tricks" my external HD where I've saved all my older NCAA documents and I found a ttu callsheet from 2010. I have a few other callsheets from other years of ttu and EA/NCAA. They aren't mine, and I don't have the authors to site them but if ya'll are interested I can see if I can figure out how to attach/post them.

I guess now that we are in the SEC (and a RAID team) I can finally end a post with....

Guns UP!.......

GIG 'EM AGGIES!

gigemaggs99
07-15-2012, 11:21 PM
I cannot take credit for these, all credit goes to the original authors....I just don't know who they were.... I just have them on my external...hopefully they all come through.

Happy RAIDIN'

gigemaggs99
07-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Again,
These tips from years past that I saved into word b/c they helped me understand the Air Raid, hopefully someone can find some use with them.

Quick Passes: Based on getting the ball out of the QBs hands quickly (all Quick passes should have slants on the backside).

Stick - Playside Outside WR (PSOW) runs a Go. PSIW runs a 5 yard hitch (aka Stick). The back runs an "Arrow" to the flat. Both backside WRs run slants.

Progression is Pre-snap, Stick, Arrow - QB checks for pre-snap...can he hit the Go or backside slants? No, then think Stick to Arrow. If the hole player (usually OLB) widens with the back, throw the stick. If the hole player covers the stick, throw the arrow. Great play on 3rd and 4.

If you run "Stick" from trips, the progression is the same except the back is not involved in the route. Instead, the #2 WR runs an out route (attacking the flat like the back would) and the #3 WR still runs the Stick. EA also put Stick Switch in the game (which is a great play), where #2 runs the Stick, and #3 runs a bubble (again, attacking the flat).

Y-Corner - PSOW runs a 3 step slant. PSIW runs a 10 yard corner. Back runs a swing. Again, both backside WRs run slants.

Progression is Pre-snap, slant, corner, swing. QB checks for for the slants. No? Slant (check OLB) to corner (should be open vs man) to swing (will throw this if zone and corner sinks).

Drop Back Passes: More pass pro is involved. Will have to have blitz beaters because the routes take longer.

Shallow - There are A TON of variations of this play on the game. It's a concept. Any WR on one side will run a 'shallow' route (like a 1 yard crossing route). From the other side, a WR will run a Dig route (10 yard cross). The other two WRs (one on each side) will run some sort of clear routes (Post and Go). It's hard to be specific with what WRs is running what route because either WR can run the shallow from one side, and either WR can run the Dig from the other. The Back runs a "shoot" (basically a route to the flat to the side where the "shallow" came from).

The Progression for the QB is this: SAY IT OVER AND OVER:

Hot, Shallow, Dig, Shoot
Hot, Shallow, Dig, Shoot
Hot, Shallow, Dig, Shoot
Hot, Shallow, Dig, Shoot

First off, you have the two WRs running deep, which if you get press man-to-man, you could hit them deep. But this route is not meant to be thrown to them.

Hot - eyes on the WR running the dig. When the ball is snapped, if the OLB/defender covering him blitzes, THROW IT 'HOT' RIGHT NOW. If not.....

Shallow - your eyes should be right in place for the shallow. As your looking at the shallow, if that MLB drives on the shallow and covers it, just smile because....

Dig - it's wide open. Find the hole and fire the ball in there. However, the LBs might be dropping deep, and the dig is covered...

Shoot - find the back. He's on the side where the shallow came from. dump it off to him and let him run.

You can run the 'Shallow' concept out of Trips (with the Shallow and Dig coming from the same side).

Four Verticals - This play isn't a "Hail Mary" type play. It's actually (hopefully) more of a quick hitting type play. You've got four WRs runnings Go's and the back running a check down (I usually Hot Route the back to run an in or out route instead of a check down).

Progression: 2x2 - Pick a side. You are going to read the safeties.

If there are two high safeties (i.e, running cover 2) then you are going to read from Outside-In. You'll hit the outside WR if he's beaten the corner. If not, its the Inside WR. You'll have to lead him away from the safety and fire the ball into him. If their both covered, find the back.

The same holds true if it's man-to-man coverage. First off, it looks like two high safeties. Read outside-in. Outside WR covererd? The inside WR vs. man it actually better. I've found that many times the Inside WRs will "win inside" vs. man on go routes, so really lead him towards the middle of the field and fire that ball in there.

If there is one-high safety (i.e., they are rolling to cover 3). then you are going to hit one of the two inside WRs. I like to throw away from the safety that's rolling down, and you'll see that once that inside WR clears the open, he's wide open. You DON'T want to lead him to the middle of the field, because there's a safety patrolling that area. Four Verticals KILLS cover 3. If you are getting a lot of 3, you can get them out of it really fast.

In Trips, you basically going to have the same reads. Vs. Two high Safeties you'll read outside-in on the trips side (Vs man, #3 runs a bender across the field that's great vs. man - however, you have to fire it in there and watch out for that backside safety).

In trips, vs one high safety, you still read those two inside WRs. I really like #2 up the seam out of trips, but the bender (#3) is open also).

Smash - Great Cover 2 Beater, but will work vs. Cover 3. Also, the progression is simple. First off, you have mirrored routes on both sides. #1 WR runs a 5 yard hitch. #2 runs a 10 yard corner. The back runs a check down.

Progression - Pick a side with the most grass (i.e. fewest defenders). Progression is High, Low, Check down. High - if the corner route open? Take a peak at the cornerback to see what he's doing. If he squats with #1 WR, it is open. You might have to lead the WR to the sideline and away from the safety. Low - if the cornerback sinks, it's some kind of cover 3, so the OLB/SS will be the flat player. You'll have to fire that ball in there so it doesn't get picked, but it's usually open. I've also Hot Routed the #1 WR's route to an out route, and I actually like it alot. But you only want to do that if you are going to throw to the wide side of the field. Into the boundary, the hitch is fine. Checkdown - If the high and low are covered, find the back. Again, you can hot route his route to an in or out if you don't like the way he runs a checkdown.

Trips - Progression is the same, but you'll only have one side to throw to - High, Low, Checkdown.

MESH - This is a staple of the Air Raid. Two WRs run "the mesh" - it's almost like a double shallow route - and will keep running vs. man, or settle vs. zone. EA did a great job with this. The #1 WR on the RB side will run a corner, and the back will run a swing. The backside WR should run an out route, but EA makes him run a GO (one of the few things they got wrong with the air raid).

Progression - Corner, Swing, Playside Mesh, Backside Mesh - it's one of those you'll have to memorize.

Corner - read is similar to the Smash, but don't stay on it very long. If it's not there, go to...

Swing - The back out of the backfield. You'll know if he's open RIGHT NOW. In man, he usually is. In zone, usually not. Don't be afraid to throw it to him... if he's covered,

Playside Mesh - The mesher coming to the backside side. Again, if he's covered man-to-man, he'll keep running. In zone, he'll settle....

Backside Mesh - Usually vs man, one of the two meshers is open - they basically set a pick for each other and create a natural rub.

These pass plays, in addition to the screens and run game, really make the Air Raid a great offense to run . One of the great things about it is that it's the same plays from different formations. Going AGGRESSIVE no huddle, staying in the same formation, and running down the list of plays. You can put a lot of points up quick.

Jeremy
07-16-2012, 06:43 AM
I've always loved the Air Raid. I usually try and duplicate Leach's version in the game, mostly 2x2 or 3x1, no empty backfield, etc. I would like to incorporate some of Holgorsen's concepts but it's difficult in the game. For example, the diamond formation in NCAA 13 is Pistol Full House, but there are so few Air Raid principles in it it's almost pointless to put in the playbook. He also likes to motion a back out of the backfield when running Stick or Corner to get him into the flat quicker, and the QB usually whips it to him immediately. I play coach mode, and the QB never throws it to the back until he's standing at the sideline with a defender in his pocket.

The playbooks have gotten way better in the NCAA series, but I still want a play creator.

gigemaggs99
07-17-2012, 12:48 AM
http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/highschooloffense2/Mumme-Leach%20Air%20Raid%20Shotgun.pdf

gigemaggs99
07-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Here's my question so far. What is the benefit of the Pistol formation for running the AIR RAID? I'm wanting to run the Air Raid the way Mike Leach did at ttu, in the 2000's.

Early on they used strong I and some Ace formations but mainly they lined up in the SG, threw the ball ALL over the field and if they had numbers in the box they would audible to a Read Option, Draw, Gut, something up the middle, but they would make this change at the LOS. They usually had GREAT rushing stats as they would get big gains up the gut, mainly to keep the D honest and then go right back to working the flats (Wes Welker style).

I under stand the HB is lined up directly behind the QB in the base pistol but what really is the benefit of the pistol formation if you are a FLING it all over the field kinda offense? If you have success rushing out of the SG when numbers are in your favor, why do you even need the pistol formations?

Kevin Sumlin said at SEC media day that he's glad people "think" we are going to be pass happy offense, he said at Houston he was not this 70-30 pass-run offense, he says he was more 55-45....the problem I have w/ that is, I've watched Houston play and the defenses they played....well 1, they weren't SEC caliber and 2, they seemed to always come out to defend the pass. It seemed like the other Air Raid teams they would audible at the LOS to a run when they had numbers in their favor and then they also had A LOT of speed so they would get really good rushing yards.

Again, they didn't use the pistol so I'm not sure why it's necessary, is it just another look to give the defense to get them thinking? Kinda like how I'm wanting to combine the WCO and the Air Raid so I can keep the defense on it's toes?

EDIT: Leach and Holgerson on a radio show: http://smartfootball.com/offense/mike-leach-pistol-offense-maven

gigemaggs99
07-19-2012, 12:58 AM
All I can say is COME ON AUGUST 30th! WSU vs BYU is going to be live on ESPN! I can't wait to see Leach's Air RAID return!

SWING THAT SWORD CAPT'N

EDIT: of course this will have to be recorded as my Aggies will be taking on La Tech at 6:30pm.

gigemaggs99
07-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Here is a good link to the different passes for the different days of the 3-day Air Raid installation.

I.E. day 1 quick passes, hitch, slant Fade/out

http://bruceeien.com/offense/mumme/MUMME.HTM

morsdraconis
07-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Here's my question so far. What is the benefit of the Pistol formation for running the AIR RAID? I'm wanting to run the Air Raid the way Mike Leach did at ttu, in the 2000's.

Early on they used strong I and some Ace formations but mainly they lined up in the SG, threw the ball ALL over the field and if they had numbers in the box they would audible to a Read Option, Draw, Gut, something up the middle, but they would make this change at the LOS. They usually had GREAT rushing stats as they would get big gains up the gut, mainly to keep the D honest and then go right back to working the flats (Wes Welker style).

I under stand the HB is lined up directly behind the QB in the base pistol but what really is the benefit of the pistol formation if you are a FLING it all over the field kinda offense? If you have success rushing out of the SG when numbers are in your favor, why do you even need the pistol formations?

Kevin Sumlin said at SEC media day that he's glad people "think" we are going to be pass happy offense, he said at Houston he was not this 70-30 pass-run offense, he says he was more 55-45....the problem I have w/ that is, I've watched Houston play and the defenses they played....well 1, they weren't SEC caliber and 2, they seemed to always come out to defend the pass. It seemed like the other Air Raid teams they would audible at the LOS to a run when they had numbers in their favor and then they also had A LOT of speed so they would get really good rushing yards.

Again, they didn't use the pistol so I'm not sure why it's necessary, is it just another look to give the defense to get them thinking? Kinda like how I'm wanting to combine the WCO and the Air Raid so I can keep the defense on it's toes?

EDIT: Leach and Holgerson on a radio show: http://smartfootball.com/offense/mike-leach-pistol-offense-maven

They say it in the video you linked, but the Pistol gives you the ability, like an ACE formation, to run the ball either direction without too much worry of one side being more effective than the other. Unlike Shotgun sets, with the HB directly behind the QB, the playaction can be used either direction to help attack whichever linebacker the offense wants to freeze so that they can work the inside with the receiver coming behind the linebacker.

It's definitely about giving them another look besides the same formation in the backfield (no matter where the WRs were lined up, the HB was always to the left of the QB in those sets) but also it's about attacking the same areas differently. Using the pistol allows for different angles while blocking on run plays (sometimes making it advantageous to attack outside compared to it being VERY DIFFICULT to attack outside in wide Shotgun sets) and different angles on the routes the receivers run, stretch the defense just a tad bit differently while running the same routes (especially with what the HB runs out of the backfield with the change of alignment).

The pistol, above all, allows for so many different things to happen from the same setup, without any movement needed (Stick, Cross, Wheel, etc) because of where the HB is located in the formation (allowing him to attack either direction in a timely fashion).

Above all else though, if you watch, they most likely used the pistol to run the ball out of more than their normal Shotgun sets. The downhill motion the HB is able to get from being directly behind the QB allows for the HB to hit the hole faster and see more of how the hole is going to develop because he'll have his hands on the ball longer compared to Shotgun formations.

gigemaggs99
07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Cool, makes sense. Thanks for the information. :up:

JeffHCross
07-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Here's my question so far. What is the benefit of the Pistol formation for running the AIR RAID?In theory, you get the benefit of a downhill rushing attack. Now, if you're just slinging it all over the place, and don't even bother audibling to a run (which Leach would let his QBs do), then it's pretty much pointless. But if you want a balanced attack while still preserving most of the Air Raid concepts, the Pistol can work.

In the game, one thing that is frustrating about the Pistol Air Raid plays is that they include Y Shallow and Z Shallow, but not X and H. Yes, since it's a balanced formation it can simply be flipped, but it was still jarring to me to only see two Shallow Cross plays.

EDIT: Plus what Mors said. I didn't see that until after I replied :D

JeffHCross
07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Edit: How the fuck did I end up here?

Dr Death
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
TIMBOB has found (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?5334-NCAA-Football-13-Dynasty-Mode-Issues&p=152071&viewfull=1#post152071) that being credited with more than 127 tackles will restart the count. That is to say, that the 128th tackle displays as 1 in the stats column.

And what exactly does that have to do w/ the Air Raid OFFENSE??? :D:D:D

morsdraconis
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Jeff was just chock full of fail yesterday. ;)

beartide06
07-20-2012, 03:12 PM

He's just confused, man. Poor soul.... :D Or maybe he has been doing a little bit of this: :sf: ;)

JeffHCross
07-20-2012, 08:06 PM
I wish I could blame it on :sf:.

Guess I just replied twice to the same thread instead of different threads, as I obviously intended.

Dr Death
07-22-2012, 01:30 AM

I wish that this board had the option of giving positive rep for a post... because your post deserves it!!! :D :D :D

Jeremy
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Can someone share with me how Noel Mazzone got the Air Raid label attached to him? I'm genuinely curious.

morsdraconis
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Can someone share with me how Noel Mazzone got the Air Raid label attached to him? I'm genuinely curious.

Who has said that? Going by where he's coached and with what coaches he's coached, I don't see how that's possible. If anything, you'd think he was a pro style or, at the most, a spread guy.

nykia31
07-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Some Online Raiding!

Houston Playbook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x51SgS4Ef0Q&list=UUiuWochyL2PIWbO7xlWI4fQ&index=1&feature=plcp

morsdraconis
08-06-2012, 09:40 AM
How much of what the New Orleans Saints do on offense is from the Air Raid? I gotta say, sitting down and really watching what the Saints did on offense (especially with someone not that talented in Chase Daniels), I was having flashes of what Mumme used to do with his running backs. Am I imagining things or does the Saints offense have some building blocks from the Air Raid in their arsenal?

JeffHCross
08-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Four Verts is a staple of the Saints offense. So the answer to your question depends on whether you link Four Verts with the Air Raid, or acknowledge that practically everyone runs Four Verts today.

The basic answer is, in my opinion, the Saints are a mash-up of many different spread/one-back/Air Raid variations, as many teams are now.

Oneback
08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
The core of the NO Saints offense is centered around the following concepts:

Verticals
Corner
Dig/Shalllow/Levels/Drive
Spacing
Screens
Play-Action

JeffHCross
08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Which, unless I'm nuts, is basically "Air Raid", "Everything", "Air Raid", "Air Raid", "Everything" and "Everything". :D

morsdraconis
08-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Which, unless I'm nuts, is basically "Air Raid", "Everything", "Air Raid", "Air Raid", "Everything" and "Everything". :D

Which means I'm not entirely nuts. :D

Dr Death
08-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Just something for anyone running the Air Raid to consider... in the article posted on page one of this thread, if you read all of it, you will find out that Leach/Mumme never "flipped" plays. Their reasoning - WR's would then have to learn two routes instead of just one. So... if you want to run the Air Raid and stay true to it - try running it w/ out flipping any plays. Gets a little more difficult than you might think...

morsdraconis
08-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Just something for anyone running the Air Raid to consider... in the article posted on page one of this thread, if you read all of it, you will find out that Leach/Mumme never "flipped" plays. Their reasoning - WR's would then have to learn two routes instead of just one. So... if you want to run the Air Raid and stay true to it - try running it w/ out flipping any plays. Gets a little more difficult than you might think...

Not only that, but they rarely used motion didn't they? It was pretty much line up and go with what they had.

JeffHCross
08-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Just something for anyone running the Air Raid to consider... in the article posted on page one of this thread, if you read all of it, you will find out that Leach/Mumme never "flipped" plays. Their reasoning - WR's would then have to learn two routes instead of just one. So... if you want to run the Air Raid and stay true to it - try running it w/ out flipping any plays. Gets a little more difficult than you might think...I never flip plays anyway :D

Dr Death
08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I never flip plays anyway :D

Just because you don't know how to flip plays doesn't qualify!!! :D :D :D

JeffHCross
08-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Just because you don't know how to flip plays doesn't qualify!!! :D :D :DI know plenty :P I just never need to.

Jeremy
08-14-2012, 04:25 AM

I have a system for how I call my Air Raid to stay true to the way Leach called, without flipping plays. Leach moved around the H and Z receivers to get his formations, X and Y were set. His base set was what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun - Spread Flex (& WK):

X T G C G T Y
H Z
Q F

When he wanted to create a 1x3 look, he would move H over for what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun 4WR Trey (& Str):

X T G C G T Y
H Z
Q F

When he wanted to go 3x1, he moved Z over to the left for what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun Trips Open (& Str):

X T G C G T Y
H Z
Q F

When he went split backs with 1x2 receivers, he just slotted H into the backfield (Closest interpretation in NCAA 13 is Shotgun Split Offset or Shotgun Split Y-Flex:

X T G C G T Y
Z
H Q F

With split backs and a 2x1 receiver set, H would again be in the backfield, and he would move Z across to the left. In NCAA 13, there is no such formation without flipping. However, if you flip Shotgun Split Slot you can create this look, so anytime I call a play from Shotgun Split Slot I flip it:

X T G C G T Y
Z
H Q F

To add to the last formation, in the Washington State spring game he has added a pistol look that utilizes two backs. The only two Pistol formations in NCAA 13 that would work, Strong Slot and Weak Slot. I don't have Weak Slot, because it just doesn't have enough Air Raid concepts for me. Strong Slot I do have, and to get that 2x1 look I will flip that formation when I call plays from it.

He also never went 5-wide, so I don't.

johntom2000
07-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Great thread. This need to be fired up!!!! I am studying this offense as we speak!

irishfbfan1
07-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes sir, you are correct. I was a GA at Morehead State University back in 1984-86, and we ran the BYU Offense. For us the STICK concept was what we called "Y OPTION", a play everybody was running back then. Now we sent the TE's route at 8-10, a deeper STICK Concept. Some other little differences but the guys using the pure AIR RAID Philosophy are getting their base from the old Lavell Edwards and Norm Chow playbooks of the 80's. A bunch to pick from and that is exactly what the AIR RAID guys are doing today, they are taking what they like and believe in and leaving the rest behind. I like the idea of running fewer concepts but doing them from a multitude of sets. Guys believe today that you DON'T need 125 plays in your system, and they are cutting down quite a bit. Makes sense because obviously you will get better because of the time frame you have to deal with. The idea of "packaging plays", working No Huddle, developing different tempo's offensively, packaging your personnel proficiently to get positive advantages, all of this along with "window dressing" in form of motion and multiple formations is the way we see offensive football being utilized today. We are getting more reps because we are not running a 100 plays, and everything is simplified because with the use of tags to our play calling we have added a bridge that leads us to some very subtle changes to all of the concepts we are utilizing.

Throw in a very simple but yet effective running game and you are good to go. Outside of the option game and zone read, most teams will either run one of these types of run philosophies and still many run both.

GAP SCHEME-

A. POWER O
B. COUNTER

ZONE SCHEME

INSIDE ZONE OR (some refer to it as TIGHT ZONE or BELLY)
OUTSIDE ONE OR 9 some refer to as STRETCH or WIDE ZONE)

johntom2000
07-28-2013, 12:54 PM
What is the different between how Tony Franklin and Mike Leach run the raid? Tempo? Different plays?

irishfbfan1
07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Well, for one thing BYU did a lot from under center with the DRAW being pretty much the base run. They ran a lot of a what I would call a Pro Style Split backs with their alignment much wider so that the backs can get into their routes to control underneath coverage as opposed to Bill Yeoman's Split backs with alignments for the backs that placed them outside leg of the offensive guards so that they could begin the path needed for the Veer.

Johntom2000, Tempo is without a doubt one of the differences as well as the No Huddle Concept, the method of calling the plays, etc...Timing issues had to be addressed for the passing game because of Shotgun as opposed to under center, and all of this involved an in depth attention to detail. This is another reason why so many coaches have opted to cut back on the number of concepts and opted the philosophy of being simple but at the same time looking complicated.

Think of that 1984 playbook as a Shoney's breakfast bar with all the plays and concepts representing the all the different foods for the breakfast buffet. The Coaches of today wanting to explore the Air Raid are the customers who have ordered the buffet. They may choose anything they desire and are not required to take everything, and that is exactly what they are doing to convey their spin on the Air Raid. Some people like bacon and can do without sausage, Dana Holgorsen decided to build the Mountaineer offense and leave MESH back at the buffet bar like the guy did when he chose bacon instead of sausage. Coach is not saying MESH is a bad play at all, he just feels that the concept requires much more attention that would take away from his version and emphasis he needs to place on the things that make up his philosophy of the said offense.

Another area that might be different compared to what was done back at the buffet bar, I mean the BYU Playbook lol, is the emphasis and style of running game employed. Again, and this can be said with other offensive theories, coaches can pick and choose while leaving behind excess grease. The Zone Scheme which includes both "TIGHT" and "WIDE" is approach taken by some coaches in combination with the Raid pass game, and with the Shotgun and all the little nuances that go with meeting the landmarks for both concepts, these are also things that are a little different from the 1984 menu and playbook.

Another example of all of this concerning today's version of the Air Raid and the 1984 Edwards and Chow version of the BYU Playbook, would be the approach that our community takes when developing a "Custom Playbook" with both madden and ncaa.

When doing the Custom Playbook thing, the "buffet is always open"!

irish

johntom2000
07-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Love the comparison! It made me hungry! Lol!!! Thanks so much! My custom play is based on what I been reading about a local Kentuckian Tony Franklin. Fast 1000 mph play calling with the read option mixed in. I based my custom out of California playbook and been studying the offense minds of Lench, Mummue, and Franklin. You still work out of Grundy, Va?

irishfbfan1
07-28-2013, 09:07 PM
I would also like to add that with the BYU offense Chow had developed his own interpretations concerning specific reads for each concept that the QB used each time he called one of the many pass concepts available from their playbook. Tony Franklin offered a different approach that emphasized something that could be used at the high school level, and this was throw to open grass. This idea like a stated was intended for the high school QB to make his reads a little more easier to consume. The idea has been elevated to the next level as we speak. This concept is still yet another difference from the Raid today, as well as its birth place with the BYU Playbook engineered by Chow and Edwards.

johntom2000
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I would also like to add that with the BYU offense Chow had developed his own interpretations concerning specific reads for each concept that the QB used each time he called one of the many pass concepts available from their playbook. Tony Franklin offered a different approach that emphasized something that could be used at the high school level, and this was throw to open grass. This idea like a stated was intended for the high school QB to make his reads a little more easier to consume. The idea has been elevated to the next level as we speak. This concept is still yet another difference from the Raid today, as well as its birth place with the BYU Playbook engineered by Chow and Edwards.

Thanks for all the information!

irishfbfan1
07-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Love the comparison! It made me hungry! Lol!!! Thanks so much! My custom play is based on what I been reading about a local Kentuckian Tony Franklin. Fast 1000 mph play calling with the read option mixed in. I based my custom out of California playbook and been studying the offense minds of Lench, Mummue, and Franklin. You still work out of Grundy, Va?

You are welcome buddy! No to Grundy, never lived there just one of my accounts. Born and raised in South Charleston, West Virginia. Love Both Marshall and WVU but Notre Dame I started loving at the age of 6. I am Roman Catholic and when you are brought up in that type of background you eat fish on friday during lent, you go to church each and every sunday, and you watch Notre Dame football replays after church each Sunday during the season lol

So good to hear from you, I miss talking football with all you guys so much. The whole "UTOPIA" thing had me dazed and confused but I see all the good people, all the people who give to our community, all the football people who live football strategy came here from there to join two other outstanding names in the NCAA Community with, gschwendt and JeffHCross.

Let me also say you got a great one with oneback, I always read everything my man has to say, and all of you should too. What hell of a job he has done with the playbook site. I know I speak for the whole community when I truly say thank you oneback, not just a guy doing a website for playbooks, but a FOOTBALL GUY doing a site for playbooks! I am here to stay as far as the NCAA Series is concerned, looking forward to talking to every single one of you during strategy sessions, too many members on here i have great respect for to list and I will forget a name which would be unfair. Lets just say its great to be back with all you for NCAA. Please understand I HAVE ALWAYS been active with several of the madden sites BUT the MaddenLab will lways be home for me when talking the Pro Game, and I hope, and I m quite sure that The Gaming Tailgate will be my home for the NCAA SERIES.

johntom2000
07-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Ya, I was wondering where you been. I haven't been to the Lab in a while. I remember you saying you live or work with a account in Grundy. I couldn't remember. As for Madden, I wasn't going to get it but, the way the servers are on NCAA and the defense. I may have to get it. It's good to see you.magain on the forums. :)

johntom2000
07-31-2013, 12:07 AM
I found this these two sites with loads of info on the air raid offense.

http://www.cougcenter.com/air-raid-offense-playbook-mike-leach/2013/4/22/4221496/air-raid-playbook-links

The link below has all the passing plays in the Air Raid offense. Its a great start for making your air raid playbook. Which I am going to use starting tomorrow.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24054318/Air-Raid-Offense-Pass-Plays