PDA

View Full Version : Sad news... DariusLock killed in a car accident this morning

gschwendt
07-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Earlier this evening I received a text from DariusLock's phone with the following message:

Hi. I don't know who you are and you don't know who I am but I'm Zacks younger brother and I have his phone. I'm so sorry to tell you this but my brother was killed in a car accident this morning. His visitation will be Monday at an unknown time at tutor funeral home in Mendenhall.

I replied back to express my condolences and also to say that I'll share the information with everyone on here.

From what Chris and I can find, here is a short news story (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120630/NEWS/120630005/Man-dies-Simpson-Co-accident?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CHome) regarding the accident.

A fatal vehicle accident this morning killed a Mendenhall man in Simpson County.

According to a press release from the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol, the accident occurred at 6:20 a.m. on U.S. 49, north of Mendenhall.

A 2000 Toyota truck driven by Zachary K. Jones, 24, ran off the road, over corrected and overturned. Jones was ejected and pronounced dead at the scene, the Patrol said. Jones was not wearing a seatbelt.

No charges have been filed and the accident is under investigation.

We're awaiting more details from the funeral home, Tutor Funeral Home (http://www.tutorfuneralhome.com/), but we will be sending a small bouquet of flowers for his visitation. Anyone that would like to contribute is more than welcome to but by no means expected to.

JeffHCross
07-01-2012, 12:18 AM
RIP.

oweb26
07-01-2012, 12:22 AM
RIP

I actually remember him posting too.

steelerfan
07-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Terrible news. Zack was a good guy. JB, snoop, Eric, and myself spent alot of time playing BF3 with him and chatting about everything under the sun. Really unbelieveable.

He was a young man with a wife and a young daughter. My heart goes out to them and his entire family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JBHuskers
07-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Man. I feel sick right now. He was a great guy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm so sick in my stomach right now.

Zach will greatly be missed.

My biggest condolences go out to his family and loves ones. His daughter was young, I think 4 like my daughter but maybe 3.

Darius RIP and you'll be greatly missed here and never forgotten.

ram29jackson
07-01-2012, 12:48 AM
....sad...

sorry to hear this

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Tommy how would you like anyone that would like to contribute to do so? I want to send something for his wife and daughter especially. So sad....

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Also I'm damn near 100% positive he was on his way to work. We usually game later on Saturday nights because he is off on Sunday and Mondays.

gschwendt
07-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Tommy how would you like anyone that would like to contribute to do so? I want to send something for his wife and daughter especially. So sad....
Chris and I will put together some information on how you can contribute and post it here in this thread. Also if anyone has any suggestions on florists in that area, what to send (in lieu of flowers), etc. by all means let us know. This is obviously a shock so we're unprepared but certainly want to do something for him and his family.

steelerfan
07-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Also I'm damn near 100% positive he was on his way to work. We usually game later on Saturday nights because he is off on Sunday and Mondays.

That's exactly what I was thinking, snoop.

JBHuskers
07-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Thanks Tommy.

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks Chris, Tommy, JB (TGT) for pulling all this together. It is very nice and a true testament to how great this site is!!

morsdraconis
07-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Holy shit.... wow.... I don't know what to say... Wow....

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Always bullshitting with Darius about being hungry and shit he always talked about wings. I ate wings tonight that were so freaking hot I could barely finish 10 of them. What's funny is he would have busted my balls about that then bragged about how great his were. He always smothered them with a little butter and lots of Louisiana hot sauce (which I've been using here ever since and I gotta admit I like that sauce) he could never eat anyone else's wings because he loved his that much hahaha

Damn man, to young

jaymo76
07-01-2012, 02:11 AM
My sincerest condolences to his family.

JBHuskers
07-01-2012, 02:37 AM
For those who have Battlefield 3, let's do a game night in his honor Sunday night rolling with old maps.

souljahbill
07-01-2012, 05:01 AM
That sucks. I big Hotty Toddy goes out to him and his people.
:Ole_Miss:

SmoothPancakes
07-01-2012, 06:02 AM
RIP.

I didn't know him as well as some of the guys from the Battlefield 3 group, but me and him had some great conversations in the past on NCAA and other topics. To never see his name in a post on here again, a sad day. :( From reading this thread, even more sad that he's leaving behind a wife and young daughter.

Guys (cdj, G, JB), definitely let us know how we can contribute, I'll be sending some money through whatever you guys set up.

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 07:13 AM
For those who have Battlefield 3, let's do a game night in his honor Sunday night rolling with old maps.

Great idea and I'm game big time!

Deuce
07-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Chris and I will put together some information on how you can contribute and post it here in this thread. Also if anyone has any suggestions on florists in that area, what to send (in lieu of flowers), etc. by all means let us know. This is obviously a shock so we're unprepared but certainly want to do something for him and his family.

Please let me know b/c I'd love to help. Such sad news. Praying for comfort for his family and friends.

SCClassof93
07-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Please let me know b/c I'd love to help. Such sad news. Praying for comfort for his family and friends.

+1

Never met him but this is really sad. Guys, in lieu of flowers I suggest a check from the community. I have no idea his family's financial situation but do know at that age most are not yet prepared for funeral, burial and most important the loss of a father's income. I believe if we here at the tailgate pool together what we can send to Chris it may help a little. It will certainly help more than flowers, but if we go that route count me in as well. J.B. either you or Chris can message me for where to send a check.
:fdown:

psuexv
07-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Absolutely crazy news to wake up to. It's a weird feeling as even never meeting the guy face to face you feel like you get to know him from chatting on the boards and while gaming.

Let me know what we are doing and I'll definitely contribute.

ryby6969
07-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Damn! Darius you will be missed. My condolences go out to his family. He was way too young to be taken from his family! :(

CLW
07-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Awful news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

souljahbill
07-01-2012, 09:50 AM
I started reading through some unread posts when I saw this:

Who's got a big enough truck to tow a yacht? Truck, then yacht, then Taco Bell distributors.

I got a TRD Tundra.

Man, this is a downer.

Speaking of which, I just realized I don't have a TGT buddy in case something happens to me. If anyone wants to partner up with to be the harbringer of bad news, lemme know. My wife would have no clue to come here and post something.

Ooooooor, hit me up on Facebook if we aren't friends already (Quantrell Toval). I'm almost positive my wife would post on my Facebook page.

baseballplyrmvp
07-01-2012, 09:56 AM
terrible news to wake up to on a Sunday morning. he'll definitely be missed. prayers go out to his family. RIP darius.

JeffHCross
07-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Speaking of which, I just realized I don't have a TGT buddy in case something happens to me.I have seen it recommended, and considered it myself, to basically make a list of sites and passwords to be given to a family member in case of your death. Particularly if you have subscriptions to cancel or other things that those closest to you would be completely oblivious about.

souljahbill
07-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I have seen it recommended, and considered it myself, to basically make a list of sites and passwords to be given to a family member in case of your death. Particularly if you have subscriptions to cancel or other things that those closest to you would be completely oblivious about.

Yeah, my wife and I have a sealed envelope of stuff like that in a safe but no way is she coming here to drop that bomb. I know she'll do Facebook and probably Twitter but she wouldn't do any community sites.

SmoothPancakes
07-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Speaking of which, I just realized I don't have a TGT buddy in case something happens to me. If anyone wants to partner up with to be the harbringer of bad news, lemme know. My wife would have no clue to come here and post something.

Ooooooor, hit me up on Facebook if we aren't friends already (Quantrell Toval). I'm almost positive my wife would post on my Facebook page.

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of. Outside of finding out about on Facebook or something, if the guys hadn't received that text from his brother, we might have never even found out about this, it would have just been like he up and disappeared for whatever reason. I know I'm friends with G and JB on Facebook (there might be one or two others), but yeah, outside of maybe just a short post on my Facebook to let people know, none of you guys would ever know if something happened to me. I'd just suddenly disappear one day, never making another post.

Stuff like this really hits home. He was only 24. I'm 25. We all think we're invincible, that nothing like this will happen to us, and we'll all live to be 80 or 90, but you never know. Me, I'm driving at 2am every Saturday morning going to work. Every single Saturday morning since May 2010, always the same route, same roads, you could stand at a given spot between 2:20 and 2:55 on a Saturday morning and see me drive by each week on my way out of town, passing out on the highway, or headed into town in the next town over on my way to work. All it would take is an intersection, a drunk driver and the perfect timing and I could be history.

ryby6969
07-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah, luckily my brother-in-law is on this site now, so if something were to happen to me I would think he would post about it. Besides that, I have quite a few of peoples phone #'s from here so my wife would be able to text people to let them know.

I drive to work almost every morning between 2:30 am and 5am, and have seen people driving on the wrong side of the highway. We have so many tourists being less than 10 minutes from Disney, you never know what will happen.

steelerfan
07-01-2012, 11:32 AM
This is the second time in 6 days that I got a late night text telling me that I young person that I knew was killed in a car accident.

Last Sunday it was my friend's 20-year-old brother. He was in a one car accident coming home from work. I was just at his visitation Friday evening and he was buried yesterday.

JBHuskers
07-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I say for those who want to play BF3 tonight, maybe we'll meet up around 8 central?

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I say for those who want to play BF3 tonight, maybe we'll meet up around 8 central?

That time frame works for me.

razorback44
07-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Damn that is horrible news. So sad to hear. I used to chat it up with him on an Ole Miss message board before running in to him here. Way to young for something like this to happen.

Prayers to his family.

Kingpin32
07-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Only a year older than me. Sad, sad day man. Rest in Power.

Marlowe
07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
man just popped on the site and this is the first thing I see :smh:

RIP DLock119

gschwendt
07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
FYI, I've been talking with Zack's brother, Jace, to try to coordinate how/where we can send any contributions and I linked him to this thread. He wanted to make sure that I let everyone know that his whole family appreciates everyone here and that he will be logging on to Zack's account in the next couple of days so no need to assume anything otherwise. As well, he will be taking over his PS3 so you might see him sign on there in the near future.

As far as sending contributions, assuming you have a paypal address, you can send money to cdj@thegamingtailgate.com paypal account. Be sure to note in the subject line "For DariusLock" or something similar. Whatever funds that have been contributed by next Friday, we'll gather together and send as one check. We'll also be sending a small flower arrangement to his visitation and note it as "Our deepest condolences. From the guys at The Gaming Tailgate."... that is unless someone else is a better wordsmith than myself.

steelerfan
07-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks, Tommy.

Karisma
07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey guys this is Zacks younger brother Jace. I can assure everyone that we have started a savings account for his daughter and we thank you for whatever you send. My brother really loved you guys and told me about you all the time. Espcailly the Battlefield 3 guys. But like Tommy said I will be logging onto his playstation 3 account in the next few days so do not be alarmed. I will keep his PS3 account running in his honor and if you would please wait until I get his PS3 to play in his honor so that I can assist you, but if not kill someone for the two of us!!

steelerfan
07-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey, Jace. My name is Matt. Thank you for coming here to keep us posted. My sincerest condolences to you and your entire family.

Zack was a great guy and JBHuskers, psusnoop, psuexv, and myself spent alot of time playing Battlefield with him. We always had a great time chatting while we played and Zack was the star of our group for sure.

There was one week where he rented a server for us to play on. One of those nights he and I were the only 2 on the server and he spent an hour or 2 teaching me how to fly a jet. He was always the pilot in our group. He was very good at it while I was only good at catching enemy gunfire. :)

Keep us informed when you can get with us to play a little and remember your brother. I know I speak for all of us when I say that we would all be on board with doing that.

Thanks again, Jace.

Karisma
07-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Thank you Matt. I remeber that week, he told me about it and I had no clue what it meant but I could tell he was very happy about it. As of when I can play with you guys, it will probably be Tuesday night after his funeral. I know most of you work so you probably play at night but I am 16 and am off for summer except for football at 6-8 at nights. But I will be going by his house with our dad soon and pick up all of his stuff. I also have his phone if you had his number it will be active for at least a fewe more days so you can get ahold of me on it. And he was on his way to work SNOOP.

Thank you all,
Jace&Zack

steelerfan
07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Tuesday night, or any night for that matter, will work for me, Jace. Just let us know, buddy.

Karisma
07-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I will be in touch on this forum or start a new one if i can called Zack-DariusLock. And thanks again everyone.

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Thank you Matt. I remeber that week, he told me about it and I had no clue what it meant but I could tell he was very happy about it. As of when I can play with you guys, it will probably be Tuesday night after his funeral. I know most of you work so you probably play at night but I am 16 and am off for summer except for football at 6-8 at nights. But I will be going by his house with our dad soon and pick up all of his stuff. I also have his phone if you had his number it will be active for at least a fewe more days so you can get ahold of me on it. And he was on his way to work SNOOP.

Thank you all,
Jace&Zack

I thought so, and I was the one to send a couple of messages to his phone. I knew the messages would be read by someone and I just couldn't help myself but to send something as I sat up last night well into the early morning hours today.

Jace, your brother was a great guy and lots of fun to game with and talk with. We always had some very fun and very interesting conversations that is for sure. So many great times were had by all when we all played together.

I want to also thank you for stopping in here as well and please continue to as well too. Just a heads up and I know it's not high on your list but there is a very high chance that Darius Pre-Ordered NCAA 13 somewhere but I can't be certain where. Amazon had a deal going that he may have jumped on but I wanted to give you a heads up in about that.

I'm glad you mentioned the the Savings Account. I would like to send something for his Daughter. He spoke so very highly of her.

Jace, you name the time that best fits your schedule and I'm sure that we can make any time work for us. Tuesday Night, or like Steelerfan mentioned is good with us. Make sure you charge up his headset because we love to chatter during the games.

Karisma
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Well I dont know the first thing about PS3s so i will try to get it setup ASAP but I will definatly message snoop when I get it done.

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Well I dont know the first thing about PS3s so i will try to get it setup ASAP but I will definatly message snoop when I get it done.

Sounds good. If you need help setting things up just give me a call, feel free to copy my contact information over to your phone or jot it down so you have it. My phone is always available for anything.

JBHuskers
07-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Tuesday I'm unfortunately not home, but all other nights work.

psusnoop
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Also Jace, my name is Jeremy but everyone here and honestly everywhere I go calls me Snoop.

Papa LoneStar
07-01-2012, 06:48 PM
R.I.P. Zack

SmoothPancakes
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey guys this is Zacks younger brother Jace. I can assure everyone that we have started a savings account for his daughter and we thank you for whatever you send. My brother really loved you guys and told me about you all the time. Espcailly the Battlefield 3 guys. But like Tommy said I will be logging onto his playstation 3 account in the next few days so do not be alarmed. I will keep his PS3 account running in his honor and if you would please wait until I get his PS3 to play in his honor so that I can assist you, but if not kill someone for the two of us!!

Sorry to hear about you and your family's loss Jace. You and your family have my deepest condolences. I didn't know Zack as well JB, snoop, steeler, and the others who played BF3 with him, but he was a great guy in my experiences with him and had many great conversations around this site with him. He will be greatly missed by all of us here. I will be contributing some money in his memory towards the fund the guys here are putting together for his wife and daughter.

AustinWolv
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Damn, just saw this thread. RIP.

psuexv
07-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Flipping through the channels and Taken is on. Remembered this post not to long ago.

Taken is the SHITTT!!

gschwendt
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
A short obituary has been posted on the funeral home's website:
http://www.tutorfuneralhome.com/zachary-kent-jones-mendenhall-ms/

Zachary Kent Jones, 24, of Mendenhall passed away Saturday, June 30, 2012, in Simpson County. Born in Flowood on May 2, 1988, a son of Shirley (Ivy) McNeil, and Jeffery Kent Jones, Zack is survived by: his wife, Amber (Usury) Jones; daughter, Breanna Jones; grandmother, Patsy Jones; stepfather, James McNeil; stepmother, Pam Jones; brothers, Jason Roland, Shane Roland and Jace Jones; and sister, Angel R. Rickman.

Visitation will be Monday, July 2, 2012, from 5 pm until 8 pm at Tutor Funeral Home, Mendenhall. Religious Service will be at Tutor Funeral Home Chapel, Mendenhall, at 10:00 am on Tuesday, July 3, 2012, with Rev. Don Lum officiating. Interment will be in Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Mendenhall.

You can go to the website and leave your condolences.

ram29jackson
07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
would it be in bad taste to ask for a picture of Zack ?

skipwondah33
07-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Ah man definitely sad.

Always seen him posting and being an avid Ole Miss fan. Think we even played in an OD together.

RIP, prayers for the family.

Sinister
07-02-2012, 03:51 PM
RIP Darius and to his family may god bless your mind and souls to get all of you through this rough time.

BsktbllJk
07-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Sad sad news!!

Tarhead10
07-02-2012, 05:16 PM
So sorry to hear this... Being in law enforcement I see this way to often, young people losing there life to automotive crashes.... I will say that I am impressed with the comradery of this site and the willingness to support his family... I didnt know the guy or many people on this site, however I will say I glad to be apart of this site and how awesome the people are to keep it going... Once again RIP to Darius and may the lord be with all of the family and friends in a tragic time like this...

NatureBoy
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear about his passing. He was a great guy and way too young to die. My condolences go out to his family. Rest in Peace Darius, you will be missed.

Nothingface
07-04-2012, 03:52 AM
RIP

cdj
07-06-2012, 07:21 AM
An update: We're waiting on a couple checks to come in, so we will likely be sending over the donation next week. That should work out perfect and by then the family should have an account/trust set-up for donations as I assume they'll have quite a few given people wanting to help out Zack's little girl.

psusnoop
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
An update: We're waiting on a couple checks to come in, so we will likely be sending over the donation next week. That should work out perfect and by then the family should have an account/trust set-up for donations as I assume they'll have quite a few given people wanting to help out Zack's little girl.

Good to hear and thanks for helping everyone that wanted to help out Zach's family Chris!! This site is the best :up:

steelerfan
07-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Good to hear and thanks for helping everyone that wanted to help out Zach's family Chris!! This site is the best :up:

:+1:

SCClassof93
07-06-2012, 08:21 AM

Deuce
07-06-2012, 08:24 AM

I guess I missed where we could donate. I'd still like to help. Where can I send the money?

psuexv
07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I guess I missed where we could donate. I'd still like to help. Where can I send the money?

Paypal it to cdj@thegamingtailgate.com

Deuce
07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Paypal it to cdj@thegamingtailgate.com

Thanks...money sent. :)

HWill
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Just now seeing this thread. Man. I didn't know him as well as some of you guys, but he always had an interesting take on a variety of topics. It's crazy how you feel like you know someone even though you never come in contact with them. RIP Darius.

Karisma
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Well I am just now getting a chance to post again I have been at church camp. Thank you again for all the condolances.

psusnoop
07-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Well I am just now getting a chance to post again I have been at church camp. Thank you again for all the condolances.

Nice to see you drop back in and your very welcome!!

steelerfan
07-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks for popping in, Jace!

steelerfan
07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
With it being Tuesday on the East Coast, and release day here soon for the rest of us, I wanted to remind everyone who knew Darius to think about him, and of course his family, today.

I know he would have been pumped to get going with Ole Miss.

He is missed, but not forgotten.

baseballplyrmvp
07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
With it being Tuesday on the East Coast, and release day here soon for the rest of us, I wanted to remind everyone who knew Darius to think about him, and of course his family, today.

ram29jackson
07-09-2012, 11:46 PM
would Jace mind posting a somewhat recent picture of Darius ?

psusnoop
07-10-2012, 07:00 AM

I'm running with Ole Miss in a dynasty with some friends for Darius.

sl8b
07-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Just now saw this, I'm so sorry to hear it.

@Jace: I lost my sister as a teenager over 20 years ago and I still think about her. I'll give the same advice that was given to me: mourn. A lot of people want to deal with a loss like this later, but you'll always be dealing with it so to speak. Mourn, take all the time you need, then live your life in a way that will honor your brother.

God bless

I am thankful that we live in an age of technology, because otherwise people would just disappear and we'd never know what happened. I remember after 9/11/2001 a couple of NY guys went missing from the old High Heat board. It was a sick feeling.

cdj
07-18-2012, 09:03 PM
We ended up raising $350 and I will be mailing that off to Zack's family tomorrow with a note including a link to this thread in case his family would like to see some of the thoughts and condolences from his friends here.

Deuce
07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
We ended up raising $350 and I will be mailing that off to Zack's family tomorrow with a note including a link to this thread in case his family would like to see some of the thoughts and condolences from his friends here.

:up: Thanks CDJ!

steelerfan
07-18-2012, 09:19 PM

Thank you, Chris.

I appreciate you guys organizing and following through with this.

JBHuskers
07-18-2012, 10:43 PM
No problem, man. Hope you get things worked out.

WOW! Way to pull together fellas.

psusnoop
07-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Nice work everyone!!

psuexv
07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Good stuff Chris.

SCClassof93
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM

:clap:

cdj
08-05-2013, 09:46 PM
It doesn't answer how he determined his screen name, but there is a character this season on The Glades (A&E) with the name "Darius Locke," a pro basketball player being played by Rick Fox. A funny coincidence that made me think of Zack.

psusnoop
08-06-2013, 06:22 AM
That is interesting! :)