PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku: College Football’s New Postseason Presents Options for NCAA Football to Run

cdj
06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
For years fans wondered why the game couldn't or wouldn't supply a simple 8- or 16-team tournament mode, like other team simulations do, when the answer was quite simple: The BCS isn't a playoff. The BCS was, for much of its existence, publicly against and demonstrably threatened by a true playoff, and so anything it licensed wasn't going to include a playoff even in a what-if fantasy.

Now, the bowls are not going anywhere—some will serve as waypoints in a national final four of football. Even the name BCS appears to be headed out, given how so many fans identify the term with arbitrary bowl pairings that reward reputation, and pointless controversy muddying what should be a simple process.

Despite the clamor for a playoff or something resembling it, though, there are traditionalists who prefer the bowl system. And the bowls aren't going anywhere once the playoff arrives, either. In this case, a legacy postseason option, in which players can choose to have their Dynasty seasons end with a four-team playoff or under the old bowl structure, wouldn't necessarily be harmful to a licensing partner's interests.

I asked the NCAA Football team if they had any ideas or hopes for how they'd handle postseason formats in future releases. Not surprisingly, I didn't get a clear answer. It is too early in production—if it even has begun—to commit to anything in NCAA Football 14, much less NCAA Football 15, which likely is the first edition that would feature a new playoff.

"We're following the news carefully about the decision around a four-team seeded playoff," said the game's producer, Ben Haumiller, "and we will take any changes into consideration for future NCAA Football titles."

That's because his team is loath to implement any forward-looking changes in the second or future seasons of a player's Dynasty, simply because things like conference memberships, new bowls and their sponsors, have shown capable of changing and reversed themselves in the span of a year. The first season to end in a four-team playoff would be the 2014-2015 year, meaning this isn't a video game issue for another two years, probably.

But I know Haumiller, as a fan, personally prefers the bowl system. And the game last year implemented a suite of pre-season and post-season customizations, including assigning automatic bowl bids to conferences different from real life. Other sports simulations allow their users to customize the length of each postseason round (best of 3, of 5, of 7, etc.). Major League Baseball 2K12 even built in a contingency for the new MLB playoff structure, which was not even formally approved at the time the game released.

I do know that to include legacy playoff alternative in a video game like NCAA is not as simple as it sounds. The game's codebase updates every year; even if a feature doesn't change, it still must be QA'd to make sure it's playing nice with the new code. That costs time and money.

Also, NCAA Football's scheduling engine—which must account for 124 teams in 11 conferences, plus independents, with protected rivalries and rotating intradivisional matchups—would also have to be as adaptable to a traditional bowl postseason as one in which bowls host games in a four-way playoff. Scheduling logic in NCAA is so convoluted, Haumiller literally put a mathematics Ph.D on the case for this year's game, to account for a 14-team SEC.

Ideally, yes, we'd get it all. But if it means spending more time on creating and fixing code to support a postseason that no longer exists in reality, rather than improving other aspects of the game's Dynasty or Road to Glory modes, it sounds unlikely college football fans will have their playoff cake and eat it in bowls, too.

Courtesy: Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5920362/college-footballs-new-postseason-presents-a-few-options-for-ncaa-football-to-run)

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Also, NCAA Football's scheduling engine—which must account for 124 teams in 11 conferences, plus independents, with protected rivalries and rotating intradivisional matchups—would also have to be as adaptable to a traditional bowl postseason as one in which bowls host games in a four-way playoff. Scheduling logic in NCAA is so convoluted, Haumiller literally put a mathematics Ph.D on the case for this year's game, to account for a 14-team SEC.

Holy crap, that is one complicated scheduling system and logic.

cdj
06-21-2012, 09:50 PM

Technically, the individual who worked on the schedules has a math degree, but isn't a Ph. D. Though, that isn't to take away from the work they put in. The game had to create the logic behind the SEC schedule in-game as the conference did not do so until very late in the dev cycle. That's not an easy task so it's good to see Owen give them credit for it.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Technically, the individual who worked on the schedules has a math degree, but isn't a Ph. D. Though, that isn't to take away from the work they put in. The game had to create the logic behind the SEC schedule in-game as the conference did not do so until very late in the dev cycle. That's not an easy task so it's good to see Owen give them credit for it.

Ah, alright. Well, even if it wasn't a Ph. D, still having to bring in someone with a math degree just to work out the schedules, that system has got to suck to work on and work with from year to year for the guys on the dev team who deal with it.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2012, 10:39 PM
As for the rest of the article, since a playoff is pretty much all but guaranteed now, just need the details and specifics worked out, when the dev team gets around to working on the postseason, I'm hoping they either tack the playoff onto the current bowl season and just make the necessary changes to properly implement, or give us a couple different options in the dynasty options. Either having it nothing but a regular bowl season, have it nothing but a playoff (with multiple options like 4 teams, 8 teams, 16 teams, etc) or have a hybrid playoff+bowls (for teams that don't make the playoff) system.

ram29jackson
06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
its 2 years away..not really interested in the video game possibilities about it now LOL

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2012, 11:35 PM
its 2 years away..not really interested in the video game possibilities about it now LOL

Madden spent two entire years working on Connected Careers Mode. For something that would only be two years away, I'm sure as hell gonna be interested in the possibilities about it now since it's only a matter of time after everything becomes official in real college football that the team will start working on implementing it in the video game.

JeffHCross
06-21-2012, 11:44 PM

The game had to create the logic behind the SEC schedule in-game as the conference did not do so until very late in the dev cycle. That's not an easy task so it's good to see Owen give them credit for it.Check this (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/2/17/2802303/sec-football-scheduling-realignment-rivalries) and this (http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2012/2/17/2802476/sec-football-scheduling-hypotheticals).

steelerfan
06-22-2012, 12:05 AM

Cool. So don't read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

ram29jackson
06-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Cool. So don't read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

:D I did read part of it and gave my opinion.

you see dude, I still approach it as a game I just buy and play. While this site gives me a little insight here and there under the skin, I'm not going to get that involved like its important. Because it really isnt.

I am a little amused and disgusted that people make money writing articles about this like its important. Its fun, its amusing, its interesting but these articles go way overboard like its a social political issue that must be discussed...?
I'll just let the guys at EA worry about it and buy the game anyway. If they end up a year or two off with the playoff system, it wont matter unless theres another game to compete with.

sure, I give little opinions about this or that aspect of the game. But I aint researching and writing 2 or 3 paragraphs about a funtime video game. :)

souljahbill
06-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Will Mizzou will be in the SEC East or West?

cdj
06-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Will Mizzou will be in the SEC East or West?

East. A&M in the West.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a0/SEC-USA-states2011.png/800px-SEC-USA-states2011.png

SmoothPancakes
06-22-2012, 03:01 AM
:D I did read part of it and gave my opinion.

you see dude, I still approach it as a game I just buy and play. While this site gives me a little insight here and there under the skin, I'm not going to get that involved like its important. Because it really isnt.

I am a little amused and disgusted that people make money writing articles about this like its important. Its fun, its amusing, its interesting but these articles go way overboard like its a social political issue that must be discussed...?
I'll just let the guys at EA worry about it and buy the game anyway. If they end up a year or two off with the playoff system, it wont matter unless theres another game to compete with.

sure, I give little opinions about this or that aspect of the game. But I aint researching and writing 2 or 3 paragraphs about a funtime video game. :)

:fp:

souljahbill
06-22-2012, 06:21 AM
East. A&M in the West.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a0/SEC-USA-states2011.png/800px-SEC-USA-states2011.png

They should both be in the West. They're more west then 5 SEC West teams.

NatureBoy
06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
South Carolina has gotten got stuck with Texas A&M as it's permanent opponent. That's a long way to travel for an away game.

natetcu
06-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I would love to see a post season option in NCAA 2014. Where you could pick your post season format: All bowls, Playoff plus bowls, Playoff only.
Then you could pick the number of teams in the playoff: 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 32. Then pick if only conference champions and independents are allowed (4-8 teams), if it is strictly the best team, if it is highest rated conference champs plus at large (4-16 teams) (example top 3 conference champs plus one at-large), or all conference champs guaranteed plus at-large (12-32 teams).

Noles94
06-22-2012, 02:31 PM

It certainly seems that way. My head hurts thinking about it. Didn't Gamebreaker have the option for both back in the day? I know with new coding and what not it isn't fair to just straight up compare an old game to a new one. But I wonder how that coding (2 gens ago?) was able to handle the option of playoffs or bowls. I remember you could choose to have either one. Or was that an earlier EA NCAA game.

JeffHCross
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
South Carolina has gotten got stuck with Texas A&M as it's permanent opponent. That's a long way to travel for an away game.Have you seen the Big East? :D

( Semi-related side note: A friend of mine in college didn't want to date a girl because she was "too far away" ... as in she didn't live in the same dorm as us, and was on the other side of campus. He said this to me, fully knowing that my girlfriend lived in Washington state. :D )

It certainly seems that way. My head hurts thinking about it. Didn't Gamebreaker have the option for both back in the day? I know with new coding and what not it isn't fair to just straight up compare an old game to a new one. But I wonder how that coding (2 gens ago?) was able to handle the option of playoffs or bowls. I remember you could choose to have either one. Or was that an earlier EA NCAA game.Don't remember if Gamebreaker had it, but the early NCAA games absolutely did. It's not that the coding is too complex, the NCAA has denied EA the ability to include playoffs in the recent games. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have the code, ready to go :)

NaptownMVP
07-01-2012, 11:58 PM

Yeah, so just imagine what they must think when some schmuck complains that after editing every conference in the game and changing every team into a different spot, his rivalry game is Week 7 instead of Week 8.

ram29jackson
07-02-2012, 12:04 AM
:D Boise better be in game in the right conference next year or hell will be raised? :D

I say this having no clue how long the paperwork takes for the next move again :)...I mean the real life one,not the in game move