PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture Devices

KIDZER0918
06-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I am trying to find a good video capture device to capture gameplay and stuff. some things that i need to take into consideration is:

Mac compatible
HD
and the video editing software

right now i am considering this
http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm

any other help would be great.

gschwendt
06-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't have any experience with Macs but the HDPVR is indeed the way to go. On the PC side, it's the HDPVR + Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

JBHuskers
06-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I use the Hauppauge as well. I really dig it.

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I used Hauppauge as well but recently switched to the Elgato Game Capture HD (http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Capture-PlayStation-Recorder-10025010/dp/B00840353W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339436083&sr=8-1) and I couldn't be happier with it. HDMI connection instead of component cables and the quality is just as good as I was getting with Hauppauge all for the same price(cheaper if you buy it on Amazon).

gschwendt
06-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I used Hauppauge as well but recently switched to the Elgato Game Capture HD (http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Capture-PlayStation-Recorder-10025010/dp/B00840353W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339436083&sr=8-1) and I couldn't be happier with it. HDMI connection instead of component cables and the quality is just as good as I was getting with Hauppauge all for the same price(cheaper if you buy it on Amazon).The HDMI only works on 360 though, correct? I believe for PS3 you still have to use the component cables.

KIDZER0918
06-11-2012, 12:49 PM
thanks for all the help i am looking up reviews now

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I haven't tried yet, but I don't think you can record via HDMI with the PS3, but it does come with a single cable that connects to the PS3 so that it can record. Whether that's in HD, I don't know...I'll have to try it out later.

CLW
06-11-2012, 12:57 PM
I haven't tried yet, but I don't think you can record via HDMI with the PS3, but it does come with a single cable that connects to the PS3 so that it can record. Whether that's in HD, I don't know...I'll have to try it out later.

I'd be very interested to seeing if you can record via HDMI on PS3 with your Elgato. My current setup (PS3 to 27" computer monitor) doesn't have a component option. I've wanted to get the Hauppage for awhile now but have always balked b/c of my setup. I have seen on the net (youtube) about "converters" that will work on my setup but I've been hesitant going with some "Youtube" approach from a 12 year old.

KIDZER0918
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
do you ever play just straight off your pc screen? if you wanted to is there any lag? i only ask because i would have to move my pc close to the tv and i would rather just play on my screen if there is no lag or anything

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Just tried it and HDMI doesn't work, BUT...

It comes with a cable that looks like an S-Video on one end and then the A/V connector for the PS3 on the other end. The S-Video end goes into the Elgato device and the other end goes into the back of the PS3. HDMI goes into the Elgato device and then to your TV and you're able to record in up to 1080i resolution. I had to go in and change my PS3 video settings to component though. A little extra work but for not needing component cables and/or a power adapter, I'm still happy with it. The only issue I have with it is how small it is. It's only a matter of time before I lose it.

gschwendt
06-11-2012, 01:02 PM
do you ever play just straight off your pc screen? if you wanted to is there any lag? i only ask because i would have to move my pc close to the tv and i would rather just play on my screen if there is no lag or anything
With the HDPVR, there's at least a second or so of delay so no you wouldn't want to play on the PC side.

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
There's the same delay on the Elgato as well. It wouldn't be possible to play through the PC monitor you're capturing it to. It's a good full second or two behind the game system.

KIDZER0918
06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
cool i am looking forward to NCAA 13 and wanted to do a video dynasty similar to my old one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4qid7OZ6aE

CLW
06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Just tried it and HDMI doesn't work, BUT...

It comes with a cable that looks like an S-Video on one end and then the A/V connector for the PS3 on the other end. The S-Video end goes into the Elgato device and the other end goes into the back of the PS3. HDMI goes into the Elgato device and then to your TV and you're able to record in up to 1080i resolution. I had to go in and change my PS3 video settings to component though. A little extra work but for not needing component cables and/or a power adapter, I'm still happy with it. The only issue I have with it is how small it is. It's only a matter of time before I lose it.

Yeah a little google/youtube research showed that when I was looking at it as well.

IF you wanted to go that route on the PS3 are still able to record/play games in HD (1080i, 720p)? Notice any "significant" loss of video quality when you go the "A/V connector" route on the PS3?

JBHuskers
06-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Back when I used Hava, the delay there was even worse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah a little google/youtube research showed that when I was looking at it as well.

IF you wanted to go that route on the PS3 are still able to record/play games in HD (1080i, 720p)? Notice any "significant" loss of video quality when you go the "A/V connector" route on the PS3?

It looks exactly the same to me as when I'm using HDMI. It allows you to record and view game play in 1080i, so it would essentially be the same quality as using component cables. I would record a test for you, but it would take awhile to upload at the highest resolution. Here's one from some random Youtube user recorded on the PS3 with Elgato:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLrehm7z7w

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Back when I used Hava, the delay there was even worse.

Oh yeah. I haven't used Hava in a long time but it was really bad. I recently used the Roxio Game Capture, too, and there was a good 5 second delay on that sucker. By the way, whatever you do, stay away from the Roxio. It's bad, bad news.

KIDZER0918
06-11-2012, 01:41 PM
i am leaning towards the hdmi one, just because i would still like to play my games at the highest quality possible

JBHuskers
06-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah. I haven't used Hava in a long time but it was really bad. I recently used the Roxio Game Capture, too, and there was a good 5 second delay on that sucker. By the way, whatever you do, stay away from the Roxio. It's bad, bad news.

I need to put my Hava on eBay.

CLW
06-11-2012, 01:43 PM
It looks exactly the same to me as when I'm using HDMI. It allows you to record and view game play in 1080i, so it would essentially be the same quality as using component cables. I would record a test for you, but it would take awhile to upload at the highest resolution. Here's one from some random Youtube user recorded on the PS3 with Elgato:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLrehm7z7w

Wow looks great! Does the link to Amazon above you provided give TGT the "kick back" when I buy this bad boy?

gschwendt
06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Wow looks great! Does the link to Amazon above you provided give TGT the "kick back" when I buy this bad boy?Doesn't look like it does but this one does:
Elgato Game Capture HD PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Recorder for Mac/PC (10025010) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00840353W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thegamtai-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00840353W)

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
i am leaning towards the hdmi one, just because i would still like to play my games at the highest quality possible

Hauppauge and the Elgato record in the same resolutions so you wont find a difference there. You wont see much of a difference on your TV, either(I can't tell at all). The only reason I got the Elgato was way less cables and no needed power supply. The quality is virtually the same.

IBI
06-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I also use the Hauppage. I don't really like the editor, and use Windows Movie Maker for that. I like everything else about the Hauppage. I already had the PS3 Component cable, so I didn't need to buy the 1445...I have the 1212.

Marlowe
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Anyone have experience with this one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005YR0M0W

noticed you don't need a pc connected just a flash drive or external hd.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Seems kind of pointless to me. You need to already have a hard drive, and then once you capture it, you need to transfer it to a PC to edit/upload it anyway. You'd probably be better off forking over another $10 and getting a Happauge unless your computer isnt anywhere near your game console.

JBHuskers
06-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Seems kind of pointless to me. You need to already have a hard drive, and then once you capture it, you need to transfer it to a PC to edit/upload it anyway. You'd probably be better off forking over another $10 and getting a Happauge unless your computer isnt anywhere near your game console.

:+1:

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 01:36 PM
The other negative is that if you were looking to stream your game (ala Justin.tv or such), you won't be able to. That and since it's outputting in AVI, I'm not sure how easy of a time you'll have in editing your video. AVI is often very large file size or if it handles file size well, it's horribly compressed and not natively supported by most video editors. You would have to convert it and then edit which would add hours onto your process.

Personally, I'd love to have a HDD built into my HD-PVR simply because my PS3 is in my front room while my PC is in my back office. As is now, I have to run USB extension cables down my hallway.

Marlowe
06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks, I think I just need to buy a new PC. First time I used the haupage, my laptop's motherboard bonked out. Haven't used it since.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Here's a video I captured and edited with Elgato on the 360. I captured one on the PS3, too, but it looked exactly the same so I didn't feel like going through the editing, but it does look exactly the same. The editing software this thing comes with it is pretty awesome. It also has some weird feature that if you have it plugged in but aren't recording, miss a clip and wish you could have recorded it...you can go back and start the recording. All in all, pretty pleased with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-ZNzv82CA

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Here's a video I captured and edited with Elgato on the 360. I captured one on the PS3, too, but it looked exactly the same so I didn't feel like going through the editing, but it does look exactly the same. The editing software this thing comes with it is pretty awesome. It also has some weird feature that if you have it plugged in but aren't recording, miss a clip and wish you could have recorded it...you can go back and start the recording. All in all, pretty pleased with it.
Yeah, that DVR rewind function plus the HDMI cable are definitely enticing. If I didn't already have the HDPVR then I'd consider it myself. That and it being so much more portable than the HDPVR.

My question to you IOU, is the processing for the video taking place on the device or on the PC? In other words, with HDPVR, even if you have a crap computer, you can still capture HD footage because the processing is all in the device. You may struggle to edit it, but at least you could capture it. I'm considering putting together a really cheap HTPC so that I can use it as a capture station and video server for my TV.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
As far as I know, all the encoding and processing for recording is done through the device, so I'd imagine you would be able to record on just about anything. The system requirements are the exact same as the requirements for the Hauppauge:

Windows 7, 2.0GHz dual core CPU, sound card
4GB RAM, USB 2.0 port

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Sweet. I've got a dual core 2.53GHz laptop, so I was concerned about all the action being done on the PC. If it's all handled through the device, then I'm gonna have to look into getting this sometime in the future.

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Sweet. I've got a dual core 2.53GHz laptop, so I was concerned about all the action being done on the PC. If it's all handled through the device, then I'm gonna have to look into getting this sometime in the future.
It sounds like just like the HDPVR, you should have no trouble capturing whatsoever... the problem you'll have though is when you go to edit it or possibly even watch it. For both, you'll be well served if you have a better than stock video card.

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2012, 04:50 PM
It sounds like just like the HDPVR, you should have no trouble capturing whatsoever... the problem you'll have though is when you go to edit it or possibly even watch it. For both, you'll be well served if you have a better than stock video card.

Is a nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS good enough?

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Is a nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS good enough?Yeah... that should work. It's an older card but it should work well enough for you. You shouldn't have any trouble playing it and as far as editing goes, you can always lower the preview quality (if needed) to where it gives you good performance.

Just to pass on knowledge, in regards to video card numbering, the first digit is the series, the next is the quality. So in your case, you have the 9000 series and 8 is the quality. If there are any other numbers factored in, that's generally just the revision so if you had a 9850, it's similar quality to the 9800, but it's a slightly tweaked/updated version (FYI, 9850 doesn't actually exist). The M is for mobile (ie laptop) which are generally somewhat lower than the standard desktop version.

I think 8 was the highest released in the 9000 series so you have the best of that age (although a GTX is better than a GTS). However, your age is fairly old in computer terms. On this cycle, they are using 3 digits instead of 4 so a 180 is better than a 9800 (newer technology but similar quality). They're up to 600 series which is top of the line and way too expensive right now. To go it a step further, a 520 is not better than a 9800. Just because it's a newer series, does not mean it's a better card. A 520 would likely struggle playing most 3D PC games whereas a 9800 would at least be able to run most, though likely at lower quality settings.

Bear in mind though, when comparing cards, you can only compare to the same brand as what you're looking at. You can't do a straight-up numbers comparison between an AMD (Radeon) & Nvidia (GeForce) card.

If you're really curious, you can look at benchmark results here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I definitely believe that it's an old and no longer great/top line card. I got this laptop towards the end of 2008, early months of 2009, so it's been well over 3 years. Still plays new PC games pretty well, and with exception for the top graphic intensive games, can still play games on medium to (usually) high graphics.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2012, 05:38 PM
I did the editing on an integrated Intel HD card without a hitch. It comes with a built in editor that is extremely easy to use and isn't nearly as hardware intensive as Sony Vegas is. I still prefer Sony Vegas because of the greater number of options, but it's a very nice touch for someone who is getting into recording/editing for the first time.

With Sony Vegas after I was done editing, I had to wait a good 30 minutes for it to render a 5 minute clip. With the editing software the Elgato comes with, it must render it real time or something...I didn't even have to wait a second after I was finished editing. It was cut down to a 4 or 5 minute clip and ready to be put on YT.

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
I did the editing on an integrated Intel HD card without a hitch. It comes with a built in editor that is extremely easy to use and isn't nearly as hardware intensive as Sony Vegas is. I still prefer Sony Vegas because of the greater number of options, but it's a very nice touch for someone who is getting into recording/editing for the first time.

With Sony Vegas after I was done editing, I had to wait a good 30 minutes for it to render a 5 minute clip. With the editing software the Elgato comes with, it must render it real time or something...I didn't even have to wait a second after I was finished editing. It was cut down to a 4 or 5 minute clip and ready to be put on YT.
Did you need a license for the editing software? If not, I'd be interested in checking it out to see how well it might work with the HDPVR generated files. I'm assuming it's just a M2TS editor which I already have but it's cumbersome.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Nope, you just go to gamecapture.com/download and download it. No key or anything required.

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Nope, you just go to gamecapture.com/download and download it. No key or anything required.
I figured as much but it's all proprietary... it doesn't recognize any of my captures and obviously won't let me capture with the HDPVR.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I forgot to post this earlier, but this is how small this thing is compared to a 360 slim:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ueqm4k.jpg

...and yeah, G, that's what I figured. I was planning on trying to capture and edit with Happauge but I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Holy crap that's small.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
I've found one annoying thing. If you have everything connected like it should, you need to have the thing plugged in via USB whether you intend on recording or not or you wont have a picture on your TV. I guess that's kind of a no brainer since it doesn't have a regular power supply. If you don't want to be recording, you need to disconnect the HDMI from the device and run it straight from the 360 to the TV. I haven't tried this yet on PS3, but I'd imagine it would be the same.

...and yeah, it's incredibly small for what it does. I'm probably going to lose it, but I love the portability. What I do not love...glossy finish. Ew.

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
:D Yeah, just from your picture, you can see finger prints and stuff all over it.

CLW
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Doesn't look like it does but this one does:
Elgato Game Capture HD PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Recorder for Mac/PC (10025010) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00840353W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thegamtai-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00840353W)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-ZNzv82CA

I've found one annoying thing. If you have everything connected like it should, you need to have the thing plugged in via USB whether you intend on recording or not or you wont have a picture on your TV. I guess that's kind of a no brainer since it doesn't have a regular power supply. If you don't want to be recording, you need to disconnect the HDMI from the device and run it straight from the 360 to the TV. I haven't tried this yet on PS3, but I'd imagine it would be the same.

...and yeah, it's incredibly small for what it does. I'm probably going to lose it, but I love the portability. What I do not love...glossy finish. Ew.

Ordered this bad boy this afternoon as I had quite a bit of Amazon credit saved up but the ability to use HDMI to my CPU monitor and its size were a real PLUS for me. IOU thanks for confirming/checking that there wasn't any noticeable difference in video quality on the PS3. Looking forward to using this bad boy some. Does the editing feature have the ability for you to just take a still frame and take that shot and turn it into an image that could be uploaded to like a photobucket or whatever the cool kids are using now?

gschwendt
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Ordered this bad boy this afternoon as I had quite a bit of Amazon credit saved up but the ability to use HDMI to my CPU monitor and its size were a real PLUS for me. IOU thanks for confirming/checking that there wasn't any noticeable difference in video quality on the PS3. Looking forward to using this bad boy some. Does the editing feature have the ability for you to just take a still frame and take that shot and turn it into an image that could be uploaded to like a photobucket or whatever the cool kids are using now?Even if not, you'd be able to record a video and then load it into a program like VLC Player (free media player) and then capture screenshots that way. It's a bit of a pain but that's how we've done it in the past when posting images from early release, etc.

CLW
06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Even if not, you'd be able to record a video and then load it into a program like VLC Player (free media player) and then capture screenshots that way. It's a bit of a pain but that's how we've done it in the past when posting images from early release, etc.

Good call. Just trying to see if I can use this bad boy to the MAX and hopefully eliminate my need to type up much of anything to satisfy my itch to post an offline dynasty here.

I OU a Beatn
06-14-2012, 03:59 PM
You'd have to do what G suggested as I don't see a place to grab a screenshot within the software. It makes it extremely easy for a new editor to cut out clips and string other clips together(not that it's hard in Vegas) so you should have no problem editing. Just make sure that when you get everything connected(make sure your PS3 is off), hold the PS3 power button until the 2nd beep so it resets video settings. Then go into your video settings on your PS3 and make sure that video/audio is set up for component. If not, you'll be playing in SD.

CLW
06-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Shizzle I just realized my old trusty laptop is on Windows Vista and not 7 and it looks like the Elgata requires 7. I guess at worse I can connect it to my desktop and possibly purchase a second monitor so that my CPU will stay up while I am playing.

skipwondah33
06-15-2012, 08:53 PM
The unit I bought last year was the AverMedia HD PVR. Works great and got it for $139 if I'm not mistaken. Basically similar to the Hauppauge, does the encoding or whatever in the box.

Still haven't gotten the Sony software but the stock software is sufficient for now

Have a few videos up on YouTube though I think 2 of my most recent games are marked private

EDJ
06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow this thread is great. Thank you for everything. We had a similar discussion in my league early in the 2012 life-cycle, but none of us pulled the trigger on picking up a capture device as we're not the most technically saavy chaps. I rigged a terrible uStream set-up using my phone as a live stream for major games (not recommended) that guys could try to follow and comment on.

I can't wait to save up a bit so I can get this set up. It would make things so much easier knowing I can clearly prove where and how often fringe owners cheesed and why they're getting booted.

What's this kickback thing for TGT? If I do indeed go with the Elgato, and there's a way TGT get's some support, I'd definitely go that route. I'm not a majorly active member, but I follow things quite a bit.

gschwendt
06-16-2012, 07:55 AM
What's this kickback thing for TGT? If I do indeed go with the Elgato, and there's a way TGT get's some support, I'd definitely go that route. I'm not a majorly active member, but I follow things quite a bit.
Amazon has a partner's program to where if you buy something that we link on here or use a search page that we created on here, we get kickbacks based on a percentage. Whenever we link to a product on Amazon, we included our referral tag which identifies us. However, if you're just looking for whatever, then you can also search through a widget on our Support Us page (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?5). You can also find a link to that page in a sticky thread in the Other Video Games section.

We use the money we earn from it to help keep this place running. Since we hate ads as much as the next guy, this is a good way to offset some of the cost.

KIDZER0918
06-17-2012, 12:45 PM

just get some of that double-sided Velcro and stick it on your 360 thats what i did in my rack on deployment with my IPAD it was like a mini TV in there

KIDZER0918
06-21-2012, 10:14 PM
well i just got the elgato in the mail today. Hooked it up and low and behold i have to upgrade my mac os to use it so i have been downloading it all damn afternoon! o well i guess i will have to wait til Saturday to really sink my teeth into it

EDJ
06-22-2012, 05:12 PM
well i just got the elgato in the mail today. Hooked it up and low and behold i have to upgrade my mac os to use it so i have been downloading it all damn afternoon! o well i guess i will have to wait til Saturday to really sink my teeth into it

Sweet, post how it goes. I'd love to see other test vids and personal reviews on it.

I get a signing bonus at work for getting licensed. Part of that is going to the Elgato.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G on the Sprint Now Network, using Tapatalk 2.0.

twitter: the_EDJ

CLW
06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
FYI - I got the Elgato recently and its a pretty nice product. No major complaints so... far. (other than I wish it was HDMI/HDMI for the PS3 but that's not Elgato's fault/problem)

Here is a sample from my FIFA game with JB the other day. I am still messing with the settings but I'm pretty happy with the picture quality of the capture.

http://youtu.be/cfAJdGL9Qe8?hd=1

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Nice. Between your video CLW, and the video that Beatn put up, I'm definitely gonna take a very serious look at getting the Elgato down the road here.

Marlowe
06-23-2012, 10:21 AM
FYI - I got the Elgato recently and its a pretty nice product. No major complaints so... far. (other than I wish it was HDMI/HDMI for the PS3 but that's not Elgato's fault/problem)

Here is a sample from my FIFA game with JB the other day. I am still messing with the settings but I'm pretty happy with the picture quality of the capture.

Not bad at all.

+1 for 0:05 through 0:12 I came online and orange team scores ;)

souljahbill
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM

JB isn't much of a FIFA player, I see. :D

EDJ
06-23-2012, 11:50 AM
One question I just thought of. Don't know if you guys have an answer. I run HDMI to my tv, but for audio I run an optical cable. Will the PS3 allow me to split audio out between two sources? Using the provided cable for the Elgato, but still running surround sound via optical?

I OU a Beatn
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
One question I just thought of. Don't know if you guys have an answer. I run HDMI to my tv, but for audio I run an optical cable. Will the PS3 allow me to split audio out between two sources? Using the provided cable for the Elgato, but still running surround sound via optical?

You can set that up in your PS3 settings, but yes, it will work. I run optical on my 360 and it works fine.

gschwendt
06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah, you can setup your secondary audio source. However, I believe the secondary one is only in 2-channel stereo instead of surround sound. Just be sure to set which one you want as primary & secondary accordingly.

CLW
06-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Yes. I have a multi audio out on the PS3 (optical for my Astro headset and HDMI for my monitor) both can work at the same time.

morsdraconis
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM

Jesus christ JB. You must have gotten bitchslapped in the cup with a 4-0 deficit after just one half. ;)

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Jesus christ JB. You must have gotten bitchslapped in the cup with a 4-0 deficit after just one half. ;)

He said his game "froze" going into the halftime screen. :D

KIDZER0918
06-24-2012, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jERzu24tw&list=UUVfeBV_QZ3pn8UKRe1CHKCw&index=1&feature=plcp

my firest video with my new elgato

PeteyKirch
06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
I love my HDPVR, just wish I had better video editing software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EROK982e2k

gschwendt
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
I love my HDPVR, just wish I had better video editing software.
You can get Sony Creative Software Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051M6I9O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thegamtai-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0051M6I9O) for $39 on Amazon. Definitely offers everything you'd want to be able to do with the HD-PVR. That's what I use and it's easy to work with once you get started.

PeteyKirch
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
You can get Sony Creative Software Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051M6I9O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thegamtai-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0051M6I9O) for $39 on Amazon. Definitely offers everything you'd want to be able to do with the HD-PVR. That's what I use and it's easy to work with once you get started.

I'll look into it, that seems like a good deal 61% off.

gschwendt
06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll look into it, that seems like a good deal 61% off.Yeah, they probably have a new version coming out soon. 10 was around the same price last year when 11 was coming out. I personally have 10 and aside from it not using my PC to it's full potential (I have a higher-end PC and it doesn't use it all), there's nothing at all for me to complain about. The only way I could use my PC's full potential would be to go to Vegas Pro but that's in the neighborhood of $500.

CLW
06-29-2012, 04:04 PM
One last test with the Elgato. Default 720p settings:

http://youtu.be/kreBt9UV6nM?hd=1

souljahbill
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
One last test with the Elgato. Default 720p settings:

http://youtu.be/kreBt9UV6nM?hd=1

Looks and sounds good. Nice drive!

tdc02
06-29-2012, 05:19 PM
What software did you use? Did you just use the software that came with the Elgato.

The picture look good.

CLW
06-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Looks and sounds good. Nice drive!

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it. Just trying to decide what settings to use. Does anyone know what Youtube's max file size/length of videos are now? I could have sworn it was <10 minutes but now I see videos going way longer than that.

What software did you use? Did you just use the software that came with the Elgato.

The picture look good.

Yeah I just used the software that came with the Elgato. The ONLY thing I cannot figure out is how to stream live on a site like Justin.tv

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2012, 05:49 PM
It depends on how many videos you've uploaded and how many subscribers/total views you have. When you start out, there's a 10 minute cap. After that, though, there's a pretty huge jump. I don't know the exact time, though, since all of mine are under 10 minutes anyway.

For streaming, it's a little bit of a pain in the ass right now because it's a new program and the streaming programs don't support it. You'd have to sign up for a twitch/justin.tv account and then download XSplit, which is free. You then have to have your Elgato screen on one half side of your screen, and then using the XSplit software, select the video portion of it(XSplit has a feature that it can broadcast part or all of what's playing on your PC screen) and then have all your other windows(like a browser) either closed, minimized, or like I do...my Elgato on the left side of my screen and my browser window on the right side.

I'd imagine these programs will eventually just add support for the Elgato and you'll be able to select it as a device and it'll automatically stream it and you can have whatever windows open you want.

I think I'll be streaming mostly this year so I don't have to edit the damn videos. :D

IBI
06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
The max limit for youtube is 15 minutes. You can go longer if you get approved, but I haven't bothered. Both of my NCAA12 ODs play 7 minute quarters, and I can edit them down to somewhere between 11 and 13 minutes by showing every play with only a second or two pre-snap (so I don't show any play art) and a second or two after the tackle. I also leave out a lot of punts and kicks, unless something spectacular happens, but you don't have to leave kicks out in order to come in under the 15 minute max.

I know nothing about streaming.

EDJ
06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
The max limit for youtube is 15 minutes. You can go longer if you get approved, but I haven't bothered. Both of my NCAA12 ODs play 7 minute quarters, and I can edit them down to somewhere between 11 and 13 minutes by showing every play with only a second or two pre-snap (so I don't show any play art) and a second or two after the tackle. I also leave out a lot of punts and kicks, unless something spectacular happens, but you don't have to leave kicks out in order to come in under the 15 minute max.

I know nothing about streaming.

I verified my account by providing a cell phone number and getting a confirmation number via text. I can now upload videos over 1 hour long. Live streaming is still capped to 15 minutes though if I recall correctly.

SmoothPancakes
06-30-2012, 01:55 PM
I verified my account by providing a cell phone number and getting a confirmation number via text. I can now upload videos over 1 hour long. Live streaming is still capped to 15 minutes though if I recall correctly.

Huh, that's odd. I just checked out my Youtube account for the hell of it, I click on upload and there was a ribbon at the top saying "Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes." I never even did anything to get approved or try to get longer than 15 minute limits on my account. But I'm not complaining, I'll take it. :D

EDJ
06-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Huh, that's odd. I just checked out my Youtube account for the hell of it, I click on upload and there was a ribbon at the top saying "Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes." I never even did anything to get approved or try to get longer than 15 minute limits on my account. But I'm not complaining, I'll take it. :D

I must've sent my info to some hacker in Siberia or something... :confused:

IBI
07-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Here's a tip for all of you Hauppage owners out there. DO NOT plug a 12 volt supply into the 5 volt input. :bang: I was putting my office/gaming area back together after some home remodeling. I grabbed the PVR and what I thought was the Hauppage DC supply. It was actually a 12 volt supply for a radioshack battery charger. :fp: I opened the case so I could replace a blown fuse, or maybe a voltage regulator. Holy shit the carnage was fantastic! There are no safeties in place except for a sticker that says, "use only power supply provided." There are no fuses...unless you consider blown ICs and burned traces to be fuses. Complete loss. :fdown:

I might need to check out the Elgato.

gschwendt
07-19-2012, 08:56 AM
On a similar note, my HDPVR recently crapped out. I tried everything but couldn't figure it out. It won't display a picture on the TV, it's an unrecognized device by my PC, just before the picture went out there were wavy lines all over the screen, etc. I then found out that apparently the power supplies are known to die pretty regularly. I have one of the very first versions of the device (pre-ordered before they ever released) so it could just be a legacy issue but apparently diodes burn out, etc. in the power supply.

I've ordered a replacement and from Hauppauge they're $10 plus shipping. Hopefully that does the trick. Just a heads up in case anyone's HDPVR dies, perhaps it's just the power supply.

ryby6969
07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
I am seriously thinking about looking into getting one of these.

gschwendt
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I would highly recommend getting the Elgato device. The HDPVR is great, but my one concern is when the next generation of consoles come out, I would almost bet that they don't allow Component connections, only HDMI. I imagine they will have HDCP handshaking on those consoles like the PS3 does (which is designed to prevent you from recording video over HDMI), however there are ways around that which I imagine would be hard/impossible to patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4BkAzkCV8

psusnoop
07-19-2012, 09:52 AM

Me too, biggest issue is if my PC I have downstairs will handle it. It's a dell from 06 can't remember anything more about it right now LOL.

My other PC would but it's upstairs :fp:

I OU a Beatn
07-19-2012, 10:09 AM
The requirements for capturing are virtually nothing for the Elgato and the Hauppauge. On those units, all the processing is done within the device itself. It's editing the video that would possibly cause problems, as some of the editing programs(especially Vegas) use a decent amount of resources.

If you're not going to be doing a ton of editing and don't need a power hungry editing program, these devices should work on just about anything.

ryby6969
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I would use my laptop to edit although I may end up getting a new desktop soon. Either way, the desktop and laptop are right next to my PS3 in the man cave! :nod:

CLW
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm a fan of the Elgato. I purchased it a little over a month ago and it works pretty well. I just wish the editing software made it easy to drop in your own music but I suppose if I wanted to do that I could use different editing software.

gschwendt
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm a fan of the Elgato. I purchased it a little over a month ago and it works pretty well. I just wish the editing software made it easy to drop in your own music but I suppose if I wanted to do that I could use different editing software.Sony Creative Software Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051M6I9O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0051M6I9O&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20) - $29 with free shipping.

gschwendt
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
On a similar note, my HDPVR recently crapped out. I tried everything but couldn't figure it out. It won't display a picture on the TV, it's an unrecognized device by my PC, just before the picture went out there were wavy lines all over the screen, etc. I then found out that apparently the power supplies are known to die pretty regularly. I have one of the very first versions of the device (pre-ordered before they ever released) so it could just be a legacy issue but apparently diodes burn out, etc. in the power supply.

I've ordered a replacement and from Hauppauge they're $10 plus shipping. Hopefully that does the trick. Just a heads up in case anyone's HDPVR dies, perhaps it's just the power supply.
Good news... that did indeed fix it so I'm back up & running.

psusnoop
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Good news... that did indeed fix it so I'm back up & running.

Nice, I've been browsing Amazon debating if I want to spend the money or not :D

ryby6969
07-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Nice, I've been browsing Amazon debating if I want to spend the money or not :D

I need to find out if there are other uses for it that I could sell to my wife! :D

gschwendt
07-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I need to find out if there are other uses for it that I could sell to my wife! :D
You can record any video input (old movies, DVR, etc.) and then capture it to your hard drive. From there you can create DVDs, etc.

ryby6969
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
You can record any video input (old movies, DVR, etc.) and then capture it to your hard drive. From there you can create DVDs, etc.

I am pretty sure she has a video camera I bought her that you can hook straight up to a dvd burner. I may have to wait considering I am buying Sunday NFL Ticket this year. :D

I OU a Beatn
07-19-2012, 03:30 PM
It's half off this year anyway. Conveniently, the difference between the cost of the Sunday Ticket last year and this year is enough to get either a Hauppauge or Elgato. ;)

ryby6969
07-19-2012, 03:50 PM
It's half off this year anyway. Conveniently, the difference between the cost of the Sunday Ticket last year and this year is enough to get either a Hauppauge or Elgato. ;)

I am buying it through my PS3. Is it still going to be half off?

sl8b
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Amazon has a partner's program to where if you buy something that we link on here or use a search page that we created on here, we get kickbacks based on a percentage. Whenever we link to a product on Amazon, we included our referral tag which identifies us. However, if you're just looking for whatever, then you can also search through a widget on our Support Us page (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?5). You can also find a link to that page in a sticky thread in the Other Video Games section.

We use the money we earn from it to help keep this place running. Since we hate ads as much as the next guy, this is a good way to offset some of the cost.

That is good to know. I'm doing more shopping online these days, so I'll use the widget.

PeteyKirch
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Well I picked up the Sony Movie Studio HD 11, and it seems alright, still trying to figure out the basics.

It seems to crash a bit on my computer despite having the specs to run it.

skipwondah33
07-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Well I picked up the Sony Movie Studio HD 11, and it seems alright, still trying to figure out the basics.

Could be out of date video card drivers but that shouldn't be the main cause of it crashing.

gschwendt
07-24-2012, 06:29 PM

What format are you capturing to? No matter what you're capturing, choose playstation 3. That will capture into m2ts format which is native to vegas.

PeteyKirch
07-24-2012, 06:41 PM
What format are you capturing to? No matter what you're capturing, choose playstation 3. That will capture into m2ts format which is native to vegas.

Well I'm trying to edit videos I already had saved.

gschwendt
07-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Well I'm trying to edit videos I already had saved.Are those MP4s? Those require much more resources than M2TS videos. My suggestion is to test capturing an M2TS video and see if it will work.

Is it crashing in a specific instance or seemingly random (ex. crashes when you render, etc.)?

PeteyKirch
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Are those MP4s? Those require much more resources than M2TS videos. My suggestion is to test capturing an M2TS video and see if it will work.

Is it crashing in a specific instance or seemingly random (ex. crashes when you render, etc.)?

Crashing was perhaps the wrong word, it just locks up, and the preview video on playback stops but the audio plays.

Also yes they are MP4 that's what I saved in on my 360 with my HDPVR

gschwendt
07-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Crashing was perhaps the wrong word, it just locks up, and the preview video on playback stops but the audio plays.
What is your preview rate set at? To test, I'd set it to Draft Auto... that will be the worst preview quality but will at least rule that out. Whenever you render it, it will ultimately be the real/project quality but preview is just for purposes while you're editing.

That said, you definitely want to record in M2TS on all future recordings, whether you're capturing your 360 or whatever.

PeteyKirch
07-24-2012, 07:24 PM
What is your preview rate set at? To test, I'd set it to Draft Auto... that will be the worst preview quality but will at least rule that out. Whenever you render it, it will ultimately be the real/project quality but preview is just for purposes while you're editing.

That said, you definitely want to record in M2TS on all future recordings, whether you're capturing your 360 or whatever.

Swapped it to Draft Auto and it still seems a bit clunky and non-responsive.

I don't know, maybe the mp4 really kills this thing.

gschwendt
07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Swapped it to Draft Auto and it still seems a bit clunky and non-responsive.

I don't know, maybe the mp4 really kills this thing.Yeah, MP4 definitely will slow things down. I have a beast of a system and it is still a noticeable difference between MP4s & M2TS files.

PeteyKirch
07-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, MP4 definitely will slow things down. I have a beast of a system and it is still a noticeable difference between MP4s & M2TS files.

Do you have the Elgato? I just sold my HDPVR and am going to most likely order an Elgato.

Can you set it to record M2TS?

gschwendt
07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Do you have the Elgato? I just sold my HDPVR and am going to most likely order an Elgato.

Can you set it to record M2TS?No, I have the HDPVR. No experience with the elgato but iou and clw both have it.

CLW
07-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Can you set it to record M2TS?

I have the elgato but not sure what the heck M2TS even is (not tech savy).

gschwendt
07-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I have the elgato but not sure what the heck M2TS even is (not tech savy).
It's the file format the video is saved as. With the HD-PVR, you can save as M2TS, MP4, or TS. The M2TS format is much more compatible with Sony Vegas.

gschwendt
07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Does any1 know any software for video capture? Please help!
What device are you using? If you're using HDPVR or Elgato, they both come with the software. If you're using something else, it should have came with the software included.

skipwondah33
07-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I use Total Media Extreme I think it is called. Whatever it was came with my device. Haven't gotten into the process of adding music or titles. I just upload the video.

I've been messing around with settings with it lately far as the encoding process. Here is my latest one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qqjYlBXC-c&hd=1

PeteyKirch
07-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Now Sony Movie Studio refuses to open anything. It kept crashing when I tried to open anything I recorded with the Elgato, so then I changed the file format, and it works in Sony Movie Studio but totally locks up the program.

Total disappointment.

I OU a Beatn
07-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Sony Vegas you mean? If you're using 11, it wont work with Elgato. I had to get a refund and downgrade back to Vegas 10. Vegas 11 will literally crash every single time you try to edit or play a MP4 file, which, I believe, is the only file format Elgato will record in. However, if you use Vegas 10, it works wonderfully.

That's my one bitch about the Elgato. I hate that it records in MP4. As G said, M2TS files are so much easier to handle and virtually every editing program handles them without flaw.

PeteyKirch
07-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Sony Vegas you mean? If you're using 11, it wont work with Elgato. I had to get a refund and downgrade back to Vegas 10. Vegas 11 will literally crash every single time you try to edit or play a MP4 file, which, I believe, is the only file format Elgato will record in. However, if you use Vegas 10, it works wonderfully.

That's my one bitch about the Elgato. I hate that it records in MP4. As G said, M2TS files are so much easier to handle and virtually every editing program handles them without flaw.

But it makes no sense to me.

It won't take Elgato MP4, but the MP4 from the HDPVR works.

I OU a Beatn
07-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Dunno, I just know that every time I'd try to edit something captured from the Elgato it would crash. If I even tried to play the file from within Vegas it would crash. Vegas 11 is finicky as hell so I wasn't too disappointed to downgrade back down to version 10. I've used version 10 a long time and never had a problem with it.

Have you tried editing from within the Elgato capture software itself? It's a decent editor if you don't plan on adding additional audio or other files. If you're just clipping certain parts then it'll work just fine.

gschwendt
07-28-2012, 01:12 PM
But it makes no sense to me.

It won't take Elgato MP4, but the MP4 from the HDPVR works.
Not all MP4 files are compiled with the same codec, etc. It would be similar to saying all sports cars are the same.

Common file types (mp4, avi, etc.) have variations where as uncommon (m2ts) are generally more straight forward and therefore easier to program for.

PeteyKirch
07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Now the audio sync seems totally off.

I'm rewatching the video I made, and the play happens and then 5 seconds later the commentary follows suit.

I OU a Beatn
07-28-2012, 01:44 PM
What did you edit it with? Was there a delay in the original video without any editing done?

I had some issues with that but I *think* I figured it out.

PeteyKirch
07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
What did you edit it with? Was there a delay in the original video without any editing done?

I had some issues with that but I *think* I figured it out.

It was unedited just the straight up recording.

I decided to pack the thing up, and ship it back to Amazon, I'll get a Hauppauge again. Thought the HDMI recording would be well worth it, mistake on my behalf.

I OU a Beatn
07-28-2012, 08:39 PM
You just have to change a setting from within the program if you decide to ever use it again. The audio sync issue has nothing to do with the device itself.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
So I got my gaming edition PVR and made a video. I go edit in Sony Vegas Movie 11 finish that and try to render overnight and this morning it was still at 0%

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
So I got my gaming edition PVR and made a video. I go edit in Sony Vegas Movie 11 finish that and try to render overnight and this morning it was still at 0%
I assume you captured in M2TS. What format are you rendering to?

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
I assume you captured in M2TS. What format are you rendering to?

I don't remember it like auto selected one for me. I'm at work now do I can't check at the moment.

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't remember it like auto selected one for me. I'm at work now do I can't check at the moment.
Go to File > Render As... and use MainConcept AVC/AAC, then customize the template and save as a new type with these settings:

http://i.imgur.com/MOjgp.png

Also, on the project tab, set the Render Quality to Best.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Go to File > Render As... and use MainConcept AVC/AAC, then customize the template and save as a new type with these settings:

http://i.imgur.com/MOjgp.png

Also, on the project tab, set the Render Quality to Best.

I don't even see an option to customize the template.

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't even see an option to customize the template.
Once you choose MainConcept AVC/AAC, before you actually hit render, below that is a drop box for the various templates associated with that codec/file type. To the right of that should be a customize button. If you don't see it, then not sure what to tell you. If you still don't see it, post a screenshot of what you do see or at least give me some kind of information to go off of.

To be clear, what version of Vegas are you using? Pro or Movie Studio? Also, I don't have 11 but it should in theory be the same.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
It doesn't even let me use the straight upload to youtube option.

This thing is bonkers. Seriously, I may not have a top of the line PC, but it won't let me render/upload anything. I can't even find an option to edit the premade render templates.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Once you choose MainConcept AVC/AAC, before you actually hit render, below that is a drop box for the various templates associated with that codec/file type. To the right of that should be a customize button. If you don't see it, then not sure what to tell you. If you still don't see it, post a screenshot of what you do see or at least give me some kind of information to go off of.

To be clear, what version of Vegas are you using? Pro or Movie Studio? Also, I don't have 11 but it should in theory be the same.

I'm using Movie Studio.

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Help me help you. Post screenshots of what you do see... Vegas works and everything I've given you should be there, but if you're not seeing it I need details in order to help you.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/G78VP.png

That's all I see.

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 02:57 PM
If you scroll further down in that window, you'll see the Customize Template option below the description box. After you create your new template, you can star it and then only show your favorites so that you have fewer options.

Here's a screenshot from someone else so ignore their options but you'll see the Customize button
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50473571/VMS11PlatRenderAs.JPG

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Now it's finally working.

Thanks a million.

It was so annoying last night to set it up, thinking let it render over night it should be done, and then waking up 8 hours later and it's at 0%.

It is a bit unnerving though it takes 30 minutes to render a 47 second video though.

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
It is a bit unnerving though it takes 30 minutes to render a 47 second video though.
Yeah... that's definitely not right. For me, while I have a beast of a machine, with Movie Studio, it takes me about 3 times the length of the video so if it's 10 minutes, it takes about 30 minutes to render.

Not sure what to recommend but I know that in the past I've tinkered with adjusting the preferences, particularly on the Video tab. You might do some research to see what you can find but that's definitely far too long.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah... that's definitely not right. For me, while I have a beast of a machine, with Movie Studio, it takes me about 3 times the length of the video so if it's 10 minutes, it takes about 30 minutes to render.

Not sure what to recommend but I know that in the past I've tinkered with adjusting the preferences, particularly on the Video tab. You might do some research to see what you can find but that's definitely far too long.

I spoke too fast, just got out of the shower, and for 10 minutes it's stuck at 2%.

Something isn't right here. All my drivers are up to date. I don't know.

I OU a Beatn
07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
You may have already answered this, but what's your CPU specs? I tried rendering with Vegas using an average CPU and it was pretty slow. With a new computer, though, I render about 10 minutes of videos in 10 minutes, where as before it would take 2 hours.

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I tried rendering with Vegas using an average CPU and it was pretty slow. With a new computer, though, I render about 10 minutes of videos in 10 minutes, where as before it would take 2 hours.I think I already know the answer to this but... do you have Pro or Movie Studio?

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 04:26 PM
You may have already answered this, but what's your CPU specs? I tried rendering with Vegas using an average CPU and it was pretty slow. With a new computer, though, I render about 10 minutes of videos in 10 minutes, where as before it would take 2 hours.

It's nothing special, but it's above the minimum specifications on the box.

A 30 second video shouldn't need to render for 30 minutes though.

skipwondah33
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
I tried rendering on a computer that didn't meet it's requirements and it did as you said yours did. Meaning I left it sitting for hours and it never got past 0%. I was just messing around with it a few years ago as I knew it wouldn't work beforehand but I wanted to try it for giggles.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 07:04 PM
I tried rendering on a computer that didn't meet it's requirements and it did as you said yours did. Meaning I left it sitting for hours and it never got past 0%. I was just messing around with it a few years ago as I knew it wouldn't work beforehand but I wanted to try it for giggles.

But it makes no sense, cause if you look at the minimum specs on the box, my computer is above all of them.

Guess I'll just have to edit it using another program.

gschwendt
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
But it makes no sense, cause if you look at the minimum specs on the box, my computer is above all of them.

Guess I'll just have to edit it using another program.
To be clear, are you talking about the specs for Vegas or specs for HD-PVR?

I OU a Beatn
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
If you would post your specs(namely your processor and RAM) and then tell us exactly which program you're using(Studio or Pro), we'd probably be able to figure out the problem.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Vegas.

The HDPVR works no problems, records smooth and everything.

PeteyKirch
07-31-2012, 07:39 PM
If you would post your specs(namely your processor and RAM) and then tell us exactly which program you're using(Studio or Pro), we'd probably be able to figure out the problem.

Windows 7
4GB Ram
Processor Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i5
Processor Speed 2.5GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)

skipwondah33
07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
What's your video card specs?

Even still with those you should be ok.

PeteyKirch
08-11-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNezzLmDKUE

The software with the Gaming Edition HDPVR actually isn't half bad, for doing quick edits like this.

bjrod9
02-05-2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Edition-Definition-Capture-Passthrough/dp/B008ZT8QKO/ref=as_li_tf_sw?&linkCode=wsw&tag=thegamtai-20

Is this a recommended purchase? I want to purchase a recording device, but afraid to buy. Any solid sugestions?

JeffHCross
02-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I can't speak to any first hand experience with that product, but Hauppauge, as a company, is recommended. They are still, as far as I know, what the majority of video capture users are using.

You should know ahead of time that the PS3 can only be recorded via Component ... not HDMI.

bjrod9
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
I can't speak to any first hand experience with that product, but Hauppauge, as a company, is recommended. They are still, as far as I know, what the majority of video capture users are using.

You should know ahead of time that the PS3 can only be recorded via Component ... not HDMI.

ok thanks for the information. I have read this entire thread and trying to compare to Elgato. Elgato sounds pretty legite as well. Confused on which one to buy?

JeffHCross
02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
I don't personally have any experience with Elgato. Sorry.

gschwendt
02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't have any experience with the HDPVR2 but it sounds like most folks generally like it. I have the original HDPVR and haven't had any issues with it. As Jeff mentioned, the HDMI won't do you any good on PS3 and almost certainly won't work on PS4/720 due to encryption... since the 360 doesn't have Blu-Ray playback, it doesn't encrypt the HDMI port. Here's hoping that Sony & Microsoft figure out a way to encrypt movies but leave games unencrypted.

I know that IOU and CLW both have the Elgato so they could give you feedback on it.

bjrod9
02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't have any experience with the HDPVR2 but it sounds like most folks generally like it. I have the original HDPVR and haven't had any issues with it. As Jeff mentioned, the HDMI won't do you any good on PS3 and almost certainly won't work on PS4/720 due to encryption... since the 360 doesn't have Blu-Ray playback, it doesn't encrypt the HDMI port. Here's hoping that Sony & Microsoft figure out a way to encrypt movies but leave games unencrypted.

I know that IOU and CLW both have the Elgato so they could give you feedback on it.

Thank you for the information guys.

EDJ
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I have people I've played with recommend Hauppauge. I use El Gato because it's super basic and easy to use, and they continue adding features like built in live streaming. For reference, search American Armchair League or AALoA on YouTube. I've posted games I've spliced and shortened some to just the highlights. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done for me.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk HD