PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback - June 2012

cdj
05-31-2012, 11:10 PM
We'll have a new one each month, open for all to give feedback.

If we missed something in the previous month's thread, post again here. Feedback can be anything, ranging from smilies to new content idea, etc. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post an idea publicly.

JeffHCross
06-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Is it possible to change the default page of "Advanced Search" from "Multiple Content Types" to "Single Content Type"? I didn't even realize what was going on until recently, and I think the majority would be using Single Content Type. I hadn't even actually used Advanced Search until this week because it wasn't giving me options that were available in other searches within the forums. It's the difference between "Single" and "Multiple" that caused the discrepancy.

Is it possible to customize the "subscription expiration" notice? If so, it'd probably be good to include the date of expiration..

baseballplyrmvp
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
under settings, edit profile, additional info, could there be an option for a second team that we root for?

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
under settings, edit profile, additional info, could there be an option for a second team that we root for?

:nod: :+1:

JeffHCross
06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Gotta give MVP credit for this emoticon:
http://www.w54.biz/images/smilies/nnf_faintthud.gif

baseballplyrmvp
06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Gotta give MVP credit for this emoticon:
http://www.w54.biz/images/smilies/nnf_faintthud.gif

yesssss! http://www.w54.biz/images/smilies/banana.gif

JeffHCross
06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Why is it that we occasionally have a blog created for what looks like a random post? Are people somehow creating blogs while posting, and doing it accidentally? If you look at the list of current blog entries, several of them don't look like they were intentional.

gschwendt
06-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Just FYI to everyone, I'll be updating our forum software to the latest version this evening around 10pm CT. We'll likely be offline for a short time during this update but shouldn't be more than an hour max I don't believe and could be as short as 15 minutes.

JeffHCross
06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I'll be updating our forum softwarehttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/GweannDarkslayer/tumblr_lpp4aasUuK1qclt3z.gif

gschwendt
06-10-2012, 10:52 PM
The update appears to have gone smoothly. There may still be some clean-up here & there but let us know if you experience anything weird.

I'm sure there are some changes (we're jumping from 4.1.5 to 4.2) but I'm not sure exactly what they are. Probably the one they're touting the most is the new Activity Stream which is essentially a new What's New that covers everything on the site, not just new posts.

At any rate, let us know any bugs or feedback.

JBHuskers
06-10-2012, 11:08 PM
The
Tables

Look
Nicer

With
Auto-Adjust

And
Thicker

Grid
Lines

gschwendt
06-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Also, I've made a settings change so that now whenever you click the Insert Image button, it will just ask you for the URL. You don't have to worry about uploading it or making a choice.

If you want to upload an image like you could before, you can choose Manage Attachments from the full post page (ie not just the quick reply) and upload there. The only time that should be necessary is if the original image host doesn't allow embedding on other sites.

I can't imagine there will be any objections to this but if there are, let me know and we can review.

JBHuskers
06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Also, I've made a settings change so that now whenever you click the Insert Image button, it will just ask you for the URL. You don't have to worry about uploading it or making a choice.

If you want to upload an image like you could before, you can choose Manage Attachments from the full post page (ie not just the quick reply) and upload there. The only time that should be necessary is if the original image host doesn't allow embedding on other sites.

I can't imagine there will be any objections to this but if there are, let me know and we can review.

Good. It was annoying having to uncheck that box every time.

JBHuskers
06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Looks like the confirmation if you want to mark the whole forum as read is gone, it just does it when you select it.

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
We need our little grill icons next to the forums back.

And any chance we can get an updated forum background for NCAA 13, RGIII, the Heisman, something? Looking at Mark Ingram is getting sort of old.

gschwendt
06-10-2012, 11:17 PM
We need our little grill icons next to the forums back.I think cdj has those and knows how to fix it... I'll leave that for him to tidy up.

And any chance we can get an updated forum background for NCAA 13, RGIII, the Heisman, something? Looking at Mark Ingram is getting sort of old.
I'll try to work on something like that in the next couple of weeks. Honestly I assumed few (if any) used that theme.

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I think cdj has those and knows how to fix it... I'll leave that for him to tidy up.

I'll try to work on something like that in the next couple of weeks. Honestly I assumed few (if any) used that theme.

I've been using it pretty much the entire last year. I like it better than just the simple backgrounds. Adds a little color and breaks up any monotony that you get with "standard" backgrounds.

Although, that just caused me to come across something, the Quick Style Chooser at the bottom of the page (I tested it on both the bottom of this page and the bottom of the main forum page) doesn't have any styles listed to choose. It just says Quick Style Chooser in the drop down menu and that's it.

gschwendt
06-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Although, that just caused me to come across something, the Quick Style Chooser at the bottom of the page (I tested it on both the bottom of this page and the bottom of the main forum page) doesn't have any styles listed to choose. It just says Quick Style Chooser in the drop down menu and that's it.
Should be fixed now.

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Perfect. Back in working order. And yeah, I definitely prefer the color-rich NCAA 12 style to the plain white/off-white/grey blank style.

beartide06
06-11-2012, 01:54 PM
My avatar, and others, is either way too small, or it is stretched out and grainy. Dr Death noticed this issue, too. I've talked to him via phone, and he is out of town at the moment, so he wanted me to pass the message. The avatars are specifically this way on the home page forum posts. When I go to the "forum" tab and look at the forums there, the avatars seem to be fine.

oweb26
06-11-2012, 08:59 PM
When did the red arrows after the topics appear? The last post arrows.

ram29jackson
06-12-2012, 01:34 AM
When did the red arrows after the topics appear? The last post arrows.

like,maybe..somewhere in the last 24 hours...today

JeffHCross
06-14-2012, 08:46 PM
I still don't know what arrows you're referring to.

morsdraconis
06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I still don't know what arrows you're referring to.

If you're using the default forum layout, they're blue instead of red. It's the arrows that have you go to the newest post in the thread. They're only there if you view the different threads in a category through the normal forum view instead of using, for instance, "What's New" to look at the threads that have been posted in.

JeffHCross
06-14-2012, 09:56 PM
If you're using the default forum layout, they're blue instead of red. It's the arrows that have you go to the newest post in the thread. They're only there if you view the different threads in a category through the normal forum view instead of using, for instance, "What's New" to look at the threads that have been posted in.Well, that explains it. I've always seen them, so nothing was new to me.

JeffHCross
06-15-2012, 08:47 PM
If you're using the default forum layout, they're blue instead of red. It's the arrows that have you go to the newest post in the thread. They're only there if you view the different threads in a category through the normal forum view instead of using, for instance, "What's New" to look at the threads that have been posted in.

Well, that explains it. I've always seen them, so nothing was new to me.
Though, along those lines ... browsing on the PS3 caused me to notice/remember this today ... for some reason when I'm browsing on the PS3, the arrows are red, despite the fact that on both my PS3 and my browser, I have the same Bullish v2 theme.

EDIT: And now I have red arrows on my browser. I guess my cache is just reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllly slow to update. That also explains why I hadn't noticed the TGT favicon was missing until recently.

ram29jackson
06-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Uniforms - NCAA Football 13 Wish List & Feedback

Rate this Entry

0 Comments

by
shaggy23sj

, 05-29-2012 at 04:29 PM (49 Views)

The Rose Bowl helmets will be in. I have yet to hear anything about the uniforms.
Ok thats really cool were do people usually hear about this stuff .

Categories:Uncategorized

is that meant to shoe up as a blog ?

gschwendt
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Has the site been slow for everyone recently? I know I've experienced it quite a bit recently as have a couple of others. We've been in contact with our provider and they don't notice anything particular on their end but just want to check if it's a global issue or isolated.

If it's global, then obviously we'll have them look further into the matter. Especially at this time of the year, we don't want to be slow as we're going to the finish line.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah, it's been taking a lot longer for pages to load than it used to. I thought it was just me, my laptop or my router, but apparently not if others are having slowdowns.

steelerfan
06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
I haven't noticed anything, but I stay on Tapatalk 99% of the time these days.

I did get on earlier today, on a PC, and I know I didn't care for the "What's New Stream". I was used to the old format. Is that still available?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JeffHCross
06-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Has the site been slow for everyone recently? I know I've experienced it quite a bit recently as have a couple of others. We've been in contact with our provider and they don't notice anything particular on their end but just want to check if it's a global issue or isolated. I'm frequently making posts and then having it timeout. I'm then informed that I need to wait another X seconds to post (yet my post did go through). I've seen it before with vBulletin software, and I want to say that it only tends to happen on NCAA sites as we approach Release Day :D

ram29jackson
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm frequently making posts and then having it timeout. I'm then informed that I need to wait another X seconds to post (yet my post did go through). I've seen it before with vBulletin software, and I want to say that it only tends to happen on NCAA sites as we approach Release Day :D

it tends to delay for me too

gschwendt
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I haven't noticed anything, but I stay on Tapatalk 99% of the time these days.

I did get on earlier today, on a PC, and I know I didn't care for the "What's New Stream". I was used to the old format. Is that still available?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2Anything particular you don't like about it? I'm not sure we can get the old format back, however we can tweak the new one. It is a new feature in this version of vBulletin and I imagine if enough people don't like it, they'll at least give the option to go back to the old format.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm frequently making posts and then having it timeout. I'm then informed that I need to wait another X seconds to post (yet my post did go through). I've seen it before with vBulletin software, and I want to say that it only tends to happen on NCAA sites as we approach Release Day :D

That has been happening to me a LOT lately. It's to the point where I expect it to happen nearly every other post.

gschwendt
06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I've not experienced any timeouts... only slow loads. That said, I've made some changes that I hope will improve the site. Let me know if you continue to experience timeouts, etc.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, I don't know if it has anything to do with the changes you made or it's from something else, but pages are suddenly loading quicker and much more instant than they have been for the past couple days.

steelerfan
06-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Anything particular you don't like about it? I'm not sure we can get the old format back, however we can tweak the new one. It is a new feature in this version of vBulletin and I imagine if enough people don't like it, they'll at least give the option to go back to the old format.

I just didn't care for the layout (no lines and such) and it didn't appear that it removed the threads/posts that I'd already read. This was at a glance though. I'll look at it more and see if I can adjust.

If not, I'll let you guys know what it is that I don't care for.

Thanks.

gschwendt
06-18-2012, 10:38 PM
I just didn't care for the layout (no lines and such) and it didn't appear that it removed the threads/posts that I'd already read. This was at a glance though. I'll look at it more and see if I can adjust.

If not, I'll let you guys know what it is that I don't care for.

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2Yeah, I didn't really use the Whats New before but I really like it on Tapatalk so I see what you mean.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I am glad to see though that we can still see it by individual threads instead of individual posts. While I never really used the What's New option before, going by threads that have been updated and have new posts since my last visit, rather than individual posts themselves, is much cleaner and easier. Just have to remember to not click What's New but instead New Posts underneath the Home button instead.

gschwendt
06-18-2012, 10:55 PM
I am glad to see though that we can still see it by individual threads instead of individual posts. While I never really used the What's New option before, going by threads that have been updated and have new posts since my last visit, rather than individual posts themselves, is much cleaner and easier. Just have to remember to not click What's New but instead New Posts underneath the Home button instead.
Thanks for pointing that out. I've decided I don't like the What's New page. I could see how it would be beneficial on other sites, but on ours, I think the New Posts works better. I've changed the What's New link to point to the same URL as the New Posts link.

cdj
06-18-2012, 10:57 PM

That's weird, I haven't had that happen. Had plenty of double posts (only one since update) but no timeouts.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I've decided I don't like the What's New page. I could see how it would be beneficial on other sites, but on ours, I think the New Posts works better. I've changed the What's New link to point to the same URL as the New Posts link.

Nice, I didn't realize you could change that. Much better. Going by threads instead of individual posts on here is definitely better for this site. Plus the posts thing just made it cluttered up as the posts didn't go away after you had read them. The thing I can best liken it to, would be basically the forum version of the Facebook news feed. I definitely prefer having the threads listed so I can read the various threads I am interested in and skip the ones I'm not, instead of sorting through all the individual posts.

steelerfan
06-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I've changed the What's New link to point to the same URL as the New Posts link.

Cool. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if it's more like what I'm used to. Thanks.

And thanks, Smooth, for pointing it out.

SmoothPancakes
06-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Cool. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if it's more like what I'm used to. Thanks.

And thanks, Smooth, for pointing it out.

No problem! :up:

I can't tell for sure if it is different, as I said I never really used it much in the past, but it seems to be pretty similar to what it used to be, if not the exact same.

morsdraconis
06-19-2012, 04:24 AM
The site is definitely slow and has been for a while.

Also, thank you Tommy for fixing the "What's New" setup. Thank god! I was getting annoyed at having to click "New Posts" after that. :up:

JeffHCross
06-19-2012, 10:05 PM
That's weird, I haven't had that happen. Had plenty of double posts (only one since update) but no timeouts.Just happened again. As Smooth said, it can be pretty common sometimes. I've made quite a few posts tonight and it hadn't happened, but it did again just now. What happens is that I make a quick reply, nothing happens for a few seconds, then I get shown "You must wait 30 seconds between posts. Please wait another 15 seconds". But if I scroll down to see what posts are in the thread, mine is there as the newest. If I were to wait the 15 seconds and hit post again, it would double post. I'm pretty sure that's a common cause of double posts by newbies.

gschwendt
06-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Things have been considerably better for me the past couple of days but certainly not fixed. That said, I'm going to do some more cleanup and troubleshooting this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to track down the issues.

psuexv
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Just happened again. As Smooth said, it can be pretty common sometimes. I've made quite a few posts tonight and it hadn't happened, but it did again just now. What happens is that I make a quick reply, nothing happens for a few seconds, then I get shown "You must wait 30 seconds between posts. Please wait another 15 seconds". But if I scroll down to see what posts are in the thread, mine is there as the newest. If I were to wait the 15 seconds and hit post again, it would double post. I'm pretty sure that's a common cause of double posts by newbies.

When it happens to me it takes me to "Go Advanced" page and gives me the wait message. But if I go back to the thread I see my post has been made.

JeffHCross
06-20-2012, 08:58 PM
When it happens to me it takes me to "Go Advanced" page and gives me the wait message. But if I go back to the thread I see my post has been made.Yeah, same here.

gschwendt
06-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Are you guys still experiencing any slowness? Things appear to have been better over the past week or so but I wouldn't say 100% fixed. If you guys are still experiencing issues, please post them as often as you see them. Right now it's a moving target for me and JB doesn't appear to be having any issues. After discussing with vbulletin support, it doesn't sound like it should be anything on our end so if we continue to experience issues, then it likely points to our host and we need to provide them as much information as possible so that they can correct it.

JBHuskers
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Seems like the biggest issue was getting to our homepage. Forums mostly were fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

morsdraconis
06-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah. Getting to the homepage is a pain in the ass. After that, it's not nearly as bad as it was.

psuexv
06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
It's definitely been better. The one thing I'm noticing the most is email updates to new posts in subscribed threads takes forever. It used to be pretty quick, but now I've noticed that I will actually stumble upon a new post and won't receive the update for a couple of minutes later.

JeffHCross
06-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Are you guys still experiencing any slowness? Things appear to have been better over the past week or so but I wouldn't say 100% fixed.Seeing something right now. Just had my last two posts time out, and while I was loading multiple tabs it was very slow in loading the new pages.

FWIW, I've never really seen a problem with loading the home page.

SmoothPancakes
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I'm still have a ton of issues. Pages are taking upwards of 30 seconds just to load, I've had my last 3 or 4 posts all time out, even when my posts don't time out, it takes well over 10 or 15 seconds just for the post to actually go through and the page to refresh.

I can't imagine it being my router or connection, since I'm on Roadrunner with 20+ Mbps speed and the router is literally 10 feet away from me.

JeffHCross
06-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Just got a 500 Internal Server Error when trying to search the Demo thread, then got a "page not found" (not a 404, but some other kind of error page I didn't recognize, more like a "I couldn't connect to the server") when trying to go to the Xs & Os section. Took two more tries to get there.

Kingpin32
06-29-2012, 02:41 PM
It may be just because my donator status ran out, but whenever I click on the "What's New" tab, I can no longer see the new posts in the Donator league sub-sections. I'm pretty sure it's because of my status though. I just never noticed it til now.

psuexv
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
It may be just because my donator status ran out, but whenever I click on the "What's New" tab, I can no longer see the new posts in the Donator league sub-sections. I'm pretty sure it's because of my status though. I just never noticed it til now.

I was actually just talking to Snoop about this the other night, except with Tapatalk. In the Latest view on Tapatalk, similar to the What's New, the league sub sections don't show up.

gschwendt
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
That should be fixed for any posts going forward. Let em know if not.

psuexv
06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
That should be fixed for any posts going forward. Let em know if not.

Make a post in the PH general discussion thread and I'll tell you if it's fixed