PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 13 - Heisman Challenge

cdj
05-28-2012, 10:24 AM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/misc/heisman.jpg

After a significant dry spell, the next NCAA Football Playbook from EA SPORTS arrives on Wednesday, May 30 and will reveal the new Heisman Challenge mode coming to NCAA Football 13. (The webcast will take place from 2-3 PM ET (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.easports.com%2Fncaafootba llwebcast&h=PAQFVeMy1).)

"There are familiar faces on the field in NCAA Football 13, which now features a selection of former Heisman Trophy winners. With the new Heisman Challenge mode, fans have the ability to utilize the skill set of a legendary Heisman Trophy winner in a quest to match his award-winning historical performances and win the Heisman trophy once again."

Check back on Wednesday for all of the news and information surrounding Heisman Challenge.

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?576-NCAA-Football-13-Heisman-Challenge

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Goal #1: Recreate this imagehttp://www.skylinepictures.com/Ohio_State_Eddie_George_o112_large.jpgThat should be a trophy: Take a screenshot with Eddie George in the foreground and all 11 Fighting Irish defenders behind him.

Depending on how this mode is implemented, it could be interesting. There definitely were some create Heisman seasons over the years. Though if it's entire Heisman seasons, obviously that would be ... long. I imagine it'll be moments instead. For Eddie, it'll either be Notre Dame or 314 yards against Illinois.

ram29jackson
05-28-2012, 05:21 PM
even a season mode would be pointless. Unless you can use these guys in dynasty's, this wont be very interesting

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 08:20 PM
even a season mode would be pointless. Unless you can use these guys in dynasty's, this wont be very interestingWould you say the same about NBA 2k12 and all the legends there? There are plenty of ways to make this interesting without being able to get them in Dynasty (plus, creating them in Dynasty is already easy enough -- you can simply Edit existing players)

OSUCowboyofMD
05-28-2012, 08:53 PM
It'd be really cool if it had the same uniforms and stadiums from that year...but i know for sure it probably won't -_-

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Stadiums would be almost impossible, unless they weren't at all anal about it.

Uniforms would be doable, if they wanted to and got the right permissions. That actually seems almost to the point of likely.

jaymo76
05-28-2012, 10:56 PM
This is a mode that regardless of what it does will have no appeal for me. I am a lover of history and sports history but playing as a legend or recreating historical sporting moments doesn't do it for me. However, I can appreciate how this appeals to some. Right now this "legends" concept is being used by pretty much all sports games. I would prefer the time/hours go into other aspects of the game (like FCS).

SmoothPancakes
05-28-2012, 11:24 PM
This is a mode that regardless of what it does will have no appeal for me. I am a lover of history and sports history but playing as a legend or recreating historical sporting moments doesn't do it for me. However, I can appreciate how this appeals to some. Right now this "legends" concept is being used by pretty much all sports games. I would prefer the time/hours go into other aspects of the game (like FCS).

Amen! Now I did play the legends stuff in NBA 2K12, and I enjoyed it when I played it, but I haven't touched the legends modes/stuff since October when I played it the first time. It just doesn't really have any replay value for me. Once I beat it, that's it, not really much anything else to do in it. Same thing with the Madden Moments. I like playing the Madden moments and reliving some of the greatest moments of games that I've watched, but after I go through and beat the Madden Moments and complete them all on a given edition, that's it. I rarely, if ever, go back and play them again, it just becomes a "throw away mode" for me.

So while they're nice modes, and are fun the first time playing them, after that it just sort of becomes a waste of space (at least for me it does) and makes me wish all the time spent on it would have been spent on something with more staying power, more replayability, etc, something that will benefit the game long-term, be it dynasty mode, online dynasty, gameplay, whatever.

ram29jackson
05-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Would you say the same about NBA 2k12 and all the legends there? There are plenty of ways to make this interesting without being able to get them in Dynasty (plus, creating them in Dynasty is already easy enough -- you can simply Edit existing players)

nah, i would expect pre-made players to have great but more realistic ratings..making them yourself more than likely would just be amping the attributes too much

ram29jackson
05-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Amen! Now I did play the legends stuff in NBA 2K12, and I enjoyed it when I played it, but I haven't touched the legends modes/stuff since October when I played it the first time. It just doesn't really have any replay value for me. Once I beat it, that's it, not really much anything else to do in it. Same thing with the Madden Moments. I like playing the Madden moments and reliving some of the greatest moments of games that I've watched, but after I go through and beat the Madden Moments and complete them all on a given edition, that's it. I rarely, if ever, go back and play them again, it just becomes a "throw away mode" for me.

So while they're nice modes, and are fun the first time playing them, after that it just sort of becomes a waste of space (at least for me it does) and makes me wish all the time spent on it would have been spent on something with more staying power, more replayability, etc, something that will benefit the game long-term, be it dynasty mode, online dynasty, gameplay, whatever.

you can put the nba legends in a dynasty though and play with them indefinitely

SmoothPancakes
05-29-2012, 02:52 AM
you can put the nba legends in a dynasty though and play with them indefinitely

Yes, you can. But it still doesn't make the NBA legends mode any more replayable. After you've played those modes, unlocked the players, unlocked the teams, what motive is there to play the modes again? Take Road to Glory for instance. It's fun, but after a while, it just becomes "meh" and disappears off the list of game mode options behind Dynasty and Online Dynasty. While these fluff modes are fun for a little while, and probably do help in gain some casual games, ultimately, at least for the serious players, they just become extra space on the disc and extra words in the menus.

ram29jackson
05-29-2012, 02:59 AM
Yes, you can. But it still doesn't make the NBA legends mode any more replayable. After you've played those modes, unlocked the players, unlocked the teams, what motive is there to play the modes again? Take Road to Glory for instance. It's fun, but after a while, it just becomes "meh" and disappears off the list of game mode options behind Dynasty and Online Dynasty. While these fluff modes are fun for a little while, and probably do help in gain some casual games, ultimately, at least for the serious players, they just become extra space on the disc and extra words in the menus.

thats why I say you need to let the legends be used in other modes...in 2k nba i can use the legends alot, not just the one game mode..they need to have those teams and rosters available -period. Not just unlocked and limited... I got the game because of the idea of using magic and Bird..I could care less about Lebron etc

SCClassof93
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM

This +1

Deuce
05-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I really couldn't care less about this mode but I will be tuning in. You never know if they'll drop some other info on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmac747
05-29-2012, 12:35 PM
thats why I say you need to let the legends be used in other modes...in 2k nba i can use the legends alot, not just the one game mode..they need to have those teams and rosters available -period. Not just unlocked and limited... I got the game because of the idea of using magic and Bird..I could care less about Lebron etc

everyone has their opinion about legends.personally i have used the legends in 2k12 in every way possible.currently i have a playoff format setup with prodominate legends teams that have been mixed and matched.example: i've taken the '86 celtics team and added russell,jones and cousy(created) to that squad, as well added tony parker and george gervin to the '98 spurs team. more than enough ways to utilize and enjoy these legendary pieces of history.i'm glad that 2k put these teams in keeps the game from becoming stale for me.

souljahbill
05-29-2012, 03:37 PM
The stream isn't working.

Edit: Nevermind. It's tomorrow. I have the LiveStream app on my iPhone and it sent me an alert that EASports was broadcasting. In the background was the NCAA 13 "Heisman" Powerpoint slide so I kept retrying the stream but it never worked, for reasons that are now clear.

souljahbill
05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Also, you guys are too good if passing is easy. I can't pass worth a damn.

Rudy
05-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Me too. I just hide in the corner when guys say they can call 4 verticals all day or cheeze their way to 500 yards passing. I wish I had those problems. I'd be a laughing stock if I recorded my passing game and posted it online lol.

morsdraconis
05-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Me too. I just hide in the corner when guys say they can call 4 verticals all day or cheeze their way to 500 yards passing. I wish I had those problems. I'd be a laughing stock if I recorded my passing game and posted it online lol.

I don't even need to call 4 verts, and, if I do, I NEVER run it as presented.

Hell, I could throw nothing but slants and mesh all day without an issue. The CPU is dumb as shit against most mesh concepts because it likes to run too much cover 3, cover 4, and man because Cover 2 is a flaming piece of shit in this game. If they actually make Cover 2 work like REAL life, then it might be better, but I doubt they'll ever pull that off without making it impossible to throw the ball because they have guys that can stop on a dime and do things, unlike real life.

gschwendt
05-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Two images uploaded to NCAA's Facebook

http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA13/537569_10150917643372280_1019148512_n.jpg
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA13/540604_10150917643462280_1416855124_n.jpg

Deuce
05-29-2012, 08:22 PM

:+1:

xMrHitStickx904
05-30-2012, 01:59 AM

This might be the best thing you've ever posted. Seriously.

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2012, 02:17 AM
This might be the best thing you've ever posted. Seriously.

Well, I like to thing I have had some great posts in the past. :D But thank you. :)

I can see these modes being great ways to try and draw in casual fans, maybe the talk of the mode on the back of the box will influence them to buy the game, and the modes, as I said, are indeed fun to play for a bit, but after a while, they just lose their luster and become background clutter.

Take NCAA 12. When I first got the game, I was jumping around between Dynasty, Online Dynasty (while I was a part of one) and Road to Glory. Over time I stopped going to various things and now, when I get on NCAA 12, I completely ignore everything else in the game and just go straight to Dynasty and load up my coaching carousel dynasty.

Same thing with NBA 2K12 and the legends stuff. I played the legends stuff when it first came out, unlocked all the legends teams, the players, had a lot of fun with it. Now? I go straight to either My Player or Association, that's it.

It's going to end up being the same thing with this mode. I'll check it out, I'll play, have some fun with it, and after a while, that'll be it. I won't go back to it, I'll end up doing my usual of focusing all my time on Dynasty. Nothing against them putting time into stuff like this, since I'm sure it will help the casual gamer sales and sell some extra copies of people wandering by and see it on the back of the box, but I personally would much prefer them put the time in on dynasty, online dynasty and gameplay instead.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 11:31 AM
If there are trophies, I'll play it :nod:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

souljahbill
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
And you know there will be.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Webcast is live. You can watch the stream here:
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?576-NCAA-Football-13-Heisman-Challenge

cdj
05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
16 former Heisman winners
One season on any team
Specific goals and accomplishments for each player
Reaction Time - new gameplay feature
Over 64 video interviews with the Heisman winners
Compete on new Heisman leaderboards
Bonus unlockables if you win the Heisman

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Players available in the Heisman Challenge

Desmond Howard
Tim Brown
Barry Sanders
Eddie George
Marcus Allen
Hershel Walker
Archie Griffin
Mark Ingram
Robert Griffin III
Charlie Ward
Doug Flutie
Jim Plunkett
Matt Leinart
Tim Tebow
Andre Ware
Carson Palmer

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Each player has a 3D modeled player head showing what they looked like when they won the Heisman.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Sixty-Four video interviews with every player unlocked as you play. Different stories from each player... game specific questions, heisman questions, recruiting questions, & reflections on their heisman year.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
The interviews will be very cool to watch.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Webcast shows sample interviews with Eddie George (talking about his Heisman clinching game), Archie Griffin (talking about he'd like to play in a Spread offense), & Herschel Walker (talking about winning the Heisman).

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Players ratings are over the 99OVR threshold.
Tuned playcalling... more passes for QBs, more runs for RBs, & more catches for WRs.
The Moments... can now return kicks & punts.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Target goals to accomplish & break records that the players set.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Reaction Time - "slows down the game", camera zooms in on the action... limited based on performance (perform better, get more reaction time). It's the Max Payne/Matrix effect brought into football.
L2/LT triggers it (hence why the option pitch was moved this year).

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Reaction Time is a blast to do on kickoff returns. At one of the community days we had an impromptu contest of who could get the most kickoff returns for a touchdown.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
BTW, Reaction Time is only in Heisman Challenge and Road to Glory. You don't have to worry about it bleeding over into dynasty nor play now games.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Sneak peek of the main menu in the webcast.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
You can put the players on any team, Barry Sanders on Stanford, etc.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Webcast shows "gameplay"... it's all based on Heisman Challenge but you can possibly get an idea of what to expect in 13.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Rudy is not going to be happy with those lack of jukes.

JoeyJojoShabadoo
05-30-2012, 01:49 PM
let's see

85 man rosters? nope
Neutral site games? nyet!
Allow teambuilder teams to be added (not replace) to dynasty? nuh-uh
customize bowl tie-ins for all bowls? yea right!
allow downloadable recruiting classes? ahahahahah
custom scheduling for all teams? don't be silly
build rivalries in dynasty? what good is that for?
a working coach carousel? some depth to CC? coaches aren't important in CFB, duh
online dynasty that works? transfer failed
offline dynasty that doesn't crash? play online dynasty!
UI that isn't slow as molasses? look pretty ESPN graphics

what really matters is OMG MAX PAYNE BULLET TIME IN HEISMAN MODE!! WOOOOO!

psuexv
05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
LOL, he audibled to his favorite play.... 4 Verts :smh:

psuexv
05-30-2012, 01:52 PM
LOL, JBHuskers making the WebCast.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
LOL, JBHuskers making the WebCast.

Yessssssssssss!

souljahbill
05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
I heard the name drop. LOL! Sabotage, indeed. The whole "live-play" was sabotage. That dude brought his F game today. LOL!

souljahbill
05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
It looked interesting. The videos sound like the best part. That and the fact that all those features will be in RTG. I'm about to lurk on OS because I can see feces about to be thrown from here.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 02:06 PM
what really matters is OMG MAX PAYNE BULLET TIME IN HEISMAN MODE!! WOOOOO!A) This mode likely isn't targeted towards you... just like every year, they add features to try to hit most/all demographics.
B) The amount of development time to add a small change to a camera angle and slow down the game is WAY less than it is to add any of the other features you mentioned
C) I agree with the complaints with 12 and the bugs but you lose some credibility when you include those for a game that hasn't been released. Will there be bugs? Sure, not trying to say otherwise, but surely you can expect them to fix the major bugs from the previous year.

qdog77
05-30-2012, 02:10 PM
let's see

85 man rosters? nope
Neutral site games? nyet!
Allow teambuilder teams to be added (not replace) to dynasty? nuh-uh
customize bowl tie-ins for all bowls? yea right!
allow downloadable recruiting classes? ahahahahah
custom scheduling for all teams? don't be silly
build rivalries in dynasty? what good is that for?
a working coach carousel? some depth to CC? coaches aren't important in CFB, duh
online dynasty that works? transfer failed
offline dynasty that doesn't crash? play online dynasty!
UI that isn't slow as molasses? look pretty ESPN graphics

what really matters is OMG MAX PAYNE BULLET TIME IN HEISMAN MODE!! WOOOOO!

i was going to say the same thing, we got bullet time in ncaa. man this is not right to show charlie ward in a gators uniform or eddie george in a michigan uniform. this mode will not be played in my house, a waste of disc space. i guess this is for the casual fan

qdog77
05-30-2012, 02:15 PM
ncaa team up with rockstart games to put in bullet time from max payne by the way is one of the games of the year as far as singleplayer. man this not good at all, ill stick to playing dynasty like all hardcore fans :smh:

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
As I have repeated year after year, modes like these are a necessity from a marketing standpoint. The casual player makes up the majority of sales BY FAR. Us gamers on sites like these are a VERY small minority, but yet we still get fixes and additions that are geared towards our wishes too. From a business standpoint, you have to realize that there are two sides towards the developement of a new game. What will please the hardcore players (the minority) and what will please the casual players (the majority).

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
i was going to say the same thing, we got bullet time in ncaa. man this is not right to show charlie ward in a gators uniform or eddie george in a michigan uniform. this mode will not be played in my house, a waste of disc space. i guess this is for the casual fan

I was thinking the same thing when they played the trailer, how fans of those teams must cringing at Desmond as a Buckeye etc. :D

But yes, it's definitely more geared at the casual gamer.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Heisman Challenge Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-xuGCMZZGs&feature=em-uploademail

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Too slow Tommy :D

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Can the CD guys comment on how the individual players were chosen? Any chance we'll get more players added maybe as a DLC in the future? It would be cool as hell to play with some of the old school Heisman winners.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Can the CD guys comment on how the individual players were chosen? Any chance we'll get more players added maybe as a DLC in the future? It would be cool as hell to play with some of the old school Heisman winners.I don't know any specifics but as I understand, it was basically guys they already had a relationship with or knew that there would be mutual interest. No idea about DLC.

JBHuskers
Can the CD guys comment on how the individual players were chosen? Any chance we'll get more players added maybe as a DLC in the future? It would be cool as hell to play with some of the old school Heisman winners.

I'd say based on who would sign off on doing it. I'm sure there were a few on their list where the players turned them down. As for DLC, I doubt it, but you never know. Maybe 2 months after release the pre-order guys might be available for a price.

psuexv
Also for the guys that were able to play this mode. With ratings over 99, could you really tell a difference in the Heisman players abilities?

JoeyJojoShabadoo
A) This mode likely isn't targeted towards you... just like every year, they add features to try to hit most/all demographics.
B) The amount of development time to add a small change to a camera angle and slow down the game is WAY less than it is to add any of the other features you mentioned
C) I agree with the complaints with 12 and the bugs but you lose some credibility when you include those for a game that hasn't been released. Will there be bugs? Sure, not trying to say otherwise, but surely you can expect them to fix the major bugs from the previous year.

considering they've had bugs since NCAA 2004 they haven't fixed, i'd say it's safe to not be optimistic about them getting things right. when was the last time they got things right?

JBHuskers
Also for the guys that were able to play this mode. With ratings over 99, could you really tell a difference in the Heisman players abilities?

I definitely could with Barry. He's a BEAST in this mode.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
considering they've had bugs since NCAA 2004 they haven't fixed, i'd say it's safe to not be optimistic about them getting things right. when was the last time they got things right?

Constantly posting them thread after thread after thread really doesn't help at all either.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
One more question. I noticed when they played the live demo that the other players had names on their jerseys. Are they using current rosters(with generated names) and you just put your Heisman guy on that team?

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:25 PM
One more question. I noticed when they played the live demo that the other players had names on their jerseys. Are they using current rosters(with generated names) and you just put your Heisman guy on that team?

If you have named rosters, they'll be in there. If you don't have named rosters, just the Heisman Challenge guy will be named, everyone else will be the generic QB #7, etc.

EDIT - just like RTG basically.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:25 PM
I definitely could with Barry. He's a BEAST in this mode.

Cool, Alex didn't really show it in the demo :D

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Cool, Alex didn't really show it in the demo :D

Touche :D it's kinda cool seeing these guys at 105 OVR (for example).

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 02:28 PM
considering they've had bugs since NCAA 2004 they haven't fixed, i'd say it's safe to not be optimistic about them getting things right. when was the last time they got things right?For discussion sake, what bugs that are on the level of Transfer Fails & Custom Playbooks in NCAA12 that are still in the game since NCAA04? There may very well be some but none that immediately come to mind.

That said, I relate the issues with Transfer Fails similar to the shoe-bomber from 2001. When a major issue occurs, you address it and do whatever you can to prevent it from occurring again. That's why they now have much better tools at their disposal for tracking that sort of thing on their end.

souljahbill
05-30-2012, 02:31 PM
If you have named rosters, they'll be in there. If you don't have named rosters, just the Heisman Challenge guy will be named, everyone else will be the generic QB #7, etc.

EDIT - just like RTG basically.

That's because it IS RTG. :p

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
That's because it IS RTG. :p

Well. Yeah. :D

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Also for the guys that were able to play this mode. With ratings over 99, could you really tell a difference in the Heisman players abilities?Honestly, I didn't really play the mode in April at all so I can't comment. I will say that it was entertaining in January to toy around with returning kickoffs with the reaction time... it wasn't something I'd personally spend much time with (only as a time killer before rosters) but I can see how some will enjoy it, especially with the success of NBA 2K's legends feature. That's the target demographic for this mode.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Blogs from EA on Heisman Challenge
http://www.easports.com/ncaa-football/news/article/community-blog-heisman-challenge
http://www.easports.com/ncaa-football/news/article/ncaa-football-13-playbook-4---heisman-challenge-dev-blog (http://www.easports.com/ncaa-football/news/article/community-blog-heisman-challenge)

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Honestly, I didn't really play the mode in April at all so I can't comment. I will say that it was entertaining in January to toy around with returning kickoffs with the reaction time... it wasn't something I'd personally spend much time with (only as a time killer before rosters) but I can see how some will enjoy it, especially with the success of NBA 2K's legends feature. That's the target demographic for this mode.

Yeah I'll probably play it a little when I first get the game. The reaction time definitely seems to play a bigger role in the RBs than other positions. I wish they would have tried hard to get Charles Woodson in the game, having the only defensive player would have been cool and reaction time on D would be fun.

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I've uploaded a bunch of pics from Heisman Challenge to our Info Central. They should appear there shortly.
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?535-ncaa-13-information-central

gschwendt
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah I'll probably play it a little when I first get the game. The reaction time definitely seems to play a bigger role in the RBs than other positions. I wish they would have tried hard to get Charles Woodson in the game, having the only defensive player would have been cool and reaction time on D would be fun.You'll get reaction time in RTG as a defensive player.

OSUCowboyofMD
05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
They dont have vintage uniforms :'(

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:41 PM
They dont have vintage uniforms :'(

I think that is mainly because the Heisman Legends are playing on 2012 teams.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:42 PM
You'll get reaction time in RTG as a defensive player.

Yeah but I meant with the Heisman caliber player, it would be interesting to see what you could do.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I think that is mainly because the Heisman Legends are playing on 2012 teams.

That and they would have to load every uniform for every team from all of those years since you can put them on any team.

JBHuskers
That and they would have to load every uniform for every team from all of those years since you can put them on any team.

:nod:

gschwendt
They dont have vintage uniforms :'(Yeah, that's one of the things that is missing with this mode but you also have to realize, the purpose of this isn't to go back into time, it's to bring those players forward in time. You're playing the 2012 season with the 1988 version of Barry Sanders.

Noles94
05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
It looked interesting. The videos sound like the best part. That and the fact that all those features will be in RTG. I'm about to lurk on OS because I can see feces about to be thrown from here.

I can save you the trouble of lurking. They are in meltdown mode. "This mode sucks." "No one is going to play this...EEEEEVER!" "Why spend time on this instead of offline dynasty." "Socks!" "Ratings...Aaaarrrggghh!" "EA hates us!" Every new thread that goes up, devolves into the same. OH yeah, many threats of being "done with EA" and canceling of pre-orders...yet the posts and hate continue. So, not really done...just done being rational. And there you have it...your lurk-free summary of OS at this time. :) haha

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:48 PM
I can save you the trouble of lurking. They are in meltdown mode. "This mode sucks." "No one is going to play this...EEEEEVER!" "Why spend time on this instead of offline dynasty." "Socks!" "Ratings...Aaaarrrggghh!" "EA hates us!" Every new thread that goes up, devolves into the same. OH yeah, many threats of being "done with EA" and canceling of pre-orders...yet the posts and hate continue. So, not really done...just done being rational. And there you have it...your lurk-free summary of OS at this time. :) haha

:D it's the reason why I make the marketing post EVERY year. But it never sinks in.

If someone over there can provide numbers of usage in modes of NCAA, then I'll listen to them saying nobody will play this.

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2012, 02:49 PM

:D

Isn't it like that for every EA and NCAA Football-related post over there though? :D

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's one of the things that is missing with this mode but you also have to realize, the purpose of this isn't to go back into time, it's to bring those players forward in time. You're playing the 2012 season with the 1988 version of Barry Sanders.

True. For me where it would be cool would be if they added some of the much older Heisman winners and you were playing with say Doak Walker running around in a leather helmet.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 02:54 PM
True. For me where it would be cool would be if they added some of the much older Heisman winners and you were playing with say Doak Walker running around in a leather helmet.

Maybe in time...I agree, it would be sweet.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Maybe in time...I agree, it would be sweet.

Yeah hopefully those idiot casual gamers really buy into this mode and make it popular so we get some added depth :)

Noles94
05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
:D it's the reason why I make the marketing post EVERY year. But it never sinks in.

If someone over there can provide numbers of usage in modes of NCAA, then I'll listen to them saying nobody will play this.

Exactly. The only time marketing gets brought up is as this evil entity EA uses to steal the fun from hardcore fans. In reality, the marketing team has to balance targeting the majority of users and the hardcore users. If anyone takes a look at the FB page for instance when these webcasts, pics, and videos are released, the response among that casual base is markedly different than it is on hardcore sites we all visit. Most casual players enjoy these modes because they see them as fun, quick modes they can get into without making the same time commit that dynasty requires. The marketing isn't against us. It's just doing its job, which is to push modes and features that appeal to the entire fanbase. Also to bring in new fans. I'll play this probably until rosters come out. Maybe a little bit after, but I know at least three friends who will probably play this and Play Now, while never touching dynasty at all.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Exactly. The only time marketing gets brought up is as this evil entity EA uses to steal the fun from hardcore fans. In reality, the marketing team has to balance targeting the majority of users and the hardcore users. If anyone takes a look at the FB page for instance when these webcasts, pics, and videos are released, the response among that casual base is markedly different than it is on hardcore sites we all visit. Most casual players enjoy these modes because they see them as fun, quick modes they can get into without making the same time commit that dynasty requires. The marketing isn't against us. It's just doing its job, which is to push modes and features that appeal to the entire fanbase. Also to bring in new fans. I'll play this probably until rosters come out. Maybe a little bit after, but I know at least three friends who will probably play this and Play Now, while never touching dynasty at all.

Well said.

Noles94
05-30-2012, 03:02 PM
:D

Isn't it like that for every EA and NCAA Football-related post over there though? :D

Haha. :nod: Yes it is.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM

Yep, I would love for EA to put out their sales demographics. I can almost guarantee that we would be blown away at the percentage of sales that are between the ages of 13-24. That's were the money is for EA and you know those :mdcr: just want to play and blow the doors off of someone.

Noles94
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Yep, I would love for EA to put out their sales demographics. I can almost guarantee that we would be blown away at the percentage of sales that are between the ages of 13-24. That's were the money is for EA and you know those :mdcr: just want to play and blow the doors off of someone.

Yep. They are the ones who watched that Charlie Ward 360 spin, over the shoulder bullet pass across the field and thought...."Oh Yeah boyeeeee (do kids still say that?) I can't wait to score 150 online." That joke could have been funnier. I need more coffee. :P

OSUCowboyofMD
05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Since it's the Heisman mode, wouldn't it be fair to include the Heisman Trophy Ceremony?

psuexv
05-30-2012, 03:20 PM
"Oh Yeah boyeeeee (do kids still say that?)

Actually they probably tweeted OMG, FTW. Meh on hard core features.

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Each player has a 3D modeled player head showing what they looked like when they won the Heisman.

huh? what does that mean ?

Noles94
05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Actually they probably tweeted OMG, FTW. Meh on hard core features.

Or LOL at EA Epic Fail. SMH. :)

psuexv
05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
huh? what does that mean ?

It means that they created a 3D model of the player when they were in school so in the game they will look like the did when they played. Kind of like you creating your 3D avatar

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-3433-3161.jpg

cdj
05-30-2012, 03:26 PM
http://youtu.be/d82zl2JU5RA

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Heisman Challenge Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-xuGCMZZGs&feature=em-uploademail

no older uniforms ?

you dont get 2 seasons with Archie Griffin? LOL

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 03:40 PM
but it is disappointing...one season...and I just got here so I dont know if you can use the players in dynasty's? But I of course doubt that...the other single player mode of a college career is more interesting than this..but thats not saying much because that dies quickly too

psuexv
05-30-2012, 03:43 PM
but it is disappointing...one season...and I just got here so I dont know if you can use the players in dynasty's? But I of course doubt that...the other single player mode of a college career is more interesting than this..but thats not saying much because that dies quickly too

They did mention being able to unlock these players for use in RTG. Not sure if you start with them in high school and they progress or if they are at the above 99 threshold the entire time.

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
They did mention being able to unlock these players for use in RTG. Not sure if you start with them in high school and they progress or if they are at the above 99 threshold the entire time.

..I hate that unlock crap. Just make it readily available for my entertainment

morsdraconis
05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
:smh:

It's season showdown all over again... :fdown:

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnR_IWalA7Q

Rudy
05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Rudy is not going to be happy with those lack of jukes.

lol. I would have liked to see a Barry juke which should be off the charts. At 42 seconds Eddie George shows a nice stiff arm and then a faster juke than I recall Eddie having but he does show a juke. He didn't actually juke a defender but rather into a hole so I would still like to see a nice video of quick guys like Barry or Denard Robinson juking defenders in the open field. I still have a problem with the lack of player momentum of defenders and how they can twitch back and forth too easily. It looks odd too.

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vw06JbMg0BM/Tg8u-yqJ1DI/AAAAAAAAu3s/j1b9OM4o-aA/s400/1_62_scooby_doo.jpg

Big Blue
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Alex play style is straight up cheese. Didn't really give us a good look at the game. :smh:

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Desmond Howard
Tim Brown
Barry Sanders
Eddie George
Marcus Allen
Hershel Walker
Archie Griffin
Mark Ingram
Robert Griffin III
Charlie Ward
Doug Flutie
Jim Plunkett
Matt Leinart
Tim Tebow
Andre Ware
Carson Palmer

its too late now..it'll never happen. But of course this list is fairly modern.

No original uniforms and facemasks for Flutie and Griffin, no Heisman winners from years earlier.

I understand what they are trying to do and for whom..but still, very little imagination involved.

and what ever the bullet time stuff is..they already did that in the ps2 days..I believe when Reggie was on the cover.

they must have tried and failed at getting Tony Dorsett signed..?

Carson Palmer? Leinhart? why ?..oh..maybe because they were past cover boys...wait..Lienhart wasnt? was he ?..they arent really, memorable heisman winners like a Bo Jackson or Roger Stauback..

3 USC guys...that is so wrong :D

no Charles Woodson or Cappelletti :fdown:...I realize the Woodson one might be difficult LOL

interesting stuff though :)

Deuce
05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't know why people get upset by modes like this. I won't ever even look at it but we need stuff like this to increase sales so more money can be used to fix the core gameplay issues. If the gameplay was perfect and no other modes were added we'd all be ecstatic but EA's sales would be horrible.

The more money EA makes on the game the more money EA can spend on the development of the game.

souljahbill
05-30-2012, 05:21 PM

I like(d) Season Showdown. It's a shame more people didn't get into it. I stayed repping USM.

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
I like(d) Season Showdown. It's a shame more people didn't get into it. I stayed repping USM.

yeah, I like it too as a reference to yourself and the country/Nation

Geauxlden
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
lol. I would have liked to see a Barry juke which should be off the charts. At 42 seconds Eddie George shows a nice stiff arm and then a faster juke than I recall Eddie having but he does show a juke. He didn't actually juke a defender but rather into a hole so I would still like to see a nice video of quick guys like Barry or Denard Robinson juking defenders in the open field. I still have a problem with the lack of player momentum of defenders and how they can twitch back and forth too easily. It looks odd too.

Yeah, that and Eddie having 100+ speed kinda threw things off for me.

JoeyJojoShabadoo
05-30-2012, 06:02 PM
i wonder why no OJ

JeffHCross
05-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Eddie GeorgeFirst order of business: See how their Eddie compares to the one I made for my 1995 Buckeyes. Prediction: they'll have him rated higher.

L2/LT triggers it (hence why the option pitch was moved this year).See, I told you there was one more gameplay aspect of NCAA you were "forgetting" about ;)

must be cringing at Desmond as a Buckeye etc. :Dhttp://static.fjcdn.com/comments/It+isnt+in+ponytime.+Burn+him+_2765424e669fe5527aa 29d05731c4a01.jpg

Yeah, that and Eddie having 100+ speed kinda threw things off for me.I love Eddie. Absolutely love him. But 100+ SPD? HA.

Rudy
05-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Eddie never ran under 4.5 iirc. He was fast for a big guy so I don't think they should make him slow but anything above 90 doesn't sound right to me. Jeff, what speed rating did you give him in your classic rosters?

JeffHCross
05-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I gave him a 90 SPD with 90 ACC. I believe he ran a 4.47 in the Combine.

Side note: On the NCAA 12 teambuilder site, my Eddie suddenly has dreads! :D :D :D :D :D :fp:

steelerfan
05-30-2012, 11:40 PM

LMAO! :D

Also: :smh: and :fp:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
05-30-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't know why people get upset by modes like this. I won't ever even look at it but we need stuff like this to increase sales so more money can be used to fix the core gameplay issues. If the gameplay was perfect and no other modes were added we'd all be ecstatic but EA's sales would be horrible.

The more money EA makes on the game the more money EA can spend on the development of the game.

Well said, Deuce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

baseballplyrmvp
05-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Alex play style is straight up cheese. Didn't really give us a good look at the game. :smh:he's terrible.

cdj
05-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Two new media articles on Heisman Challenge from Kotaku and ESPN:

ESPN Video Games: 'Legends return for Heisman Challenge (http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/789/legends-return-for-heisman-challenge)' by Jon Robinson
Kotaku: 'Even Heisman Winners Have Video Game Fantasies, and That’s NCAA Football 13’s New Mode (http://kotaku.com/5914736/even-heisman-winners-have-video-game-fantasies-and-thats-ncaa-football-13s-new-mode)' by Owen Good

JeffHCross
05-31-2012, 09:48 PM
ESPN Video Games: 'Legends return for Heisman Challenge (http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/789/legends-return-for-heisman-challenge)' by Jon RobinsonOne note in there that I didn't see mentioned elsewhere yesterday:

To top things off, if you’re able to meet your goals and win the Heisman, you can also unlock each player in Road to Glory mode in order to continue their playing careers.

That means four seasons of Sanders and Sanders in the same backfield. (He's referring to the idea of having Barry Sanders and Barry Sanders Jr in the same backfield)

Kotaku: 'Even Heisman Winners Have Video Game Fantasies, and That’s NCAA Football 13’s New Mode (http://kotaku.com/5914736/even-heisman-winners-have-video-game-fantasies-and-thats-ncaa-football-13s-new-mode)' by Owen GoodOh. My. God. Eddie George basically created the idea for Heisman Challenge. Awesome! :D

brza37
06-01-2012, 08:04 AM
This looks like an awful copy of 2k's Challenge Mode. I have no problem with them copying the idea at all but they totally missed the point. People played The Jordan Challenge because 2k actually got his playstyle, signature moves, mannerisms and the memorable moments down pat. They also put you in his shoes during the right time period. This is just pre-made create a player mode with juiced up ratings. If they could have recreated that same feeling with Baryy Sanders that 2k did with Jordan I would be all over this. But in the clips Barry looks like he plays no differently than any other RB in NCAA. They could have at least given him a more personalized player model but the model he has is so generic. Nothing about that player resembles Barry except his face. His low center of gravity, jukes cutting ability and spin moves are just not there. Add to the fact that you're just playing against the normal modern day rosters and the mode makes no sense. How could they miss the point of this mode so badly? But when you see how Alex demoed the game its easy to see who this is marketed too. When he played as Howard he only ran something remotely close to the route once. And still the QB magically knew where he was going to be and threw it to him right on the money despite the fact that he ran completely different routes than the ones that were called. Awful.

psuexv
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
One note in there that I didn't see mentioned elsewhere yesterday:

To top things off, if you’re able to meet your goals and win the Heisman, you can also unlock each player in Road to Glory mode in order to continue their playing careers.

That means four seasons of Sanders and Sanders in the same backfield.

They hit on it briefly in the webcast.

xMrHitStickx904
06-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Completely agree with it's a copy of 2K's Jordan Challenge mode. Problem is, Jordan played like ... well himself during the era you had him in. Down to the special moves, jumper, uniform, shoes etc. None of these players in Heisman Challenge look any different from a normal counterpart. No signature jukes, signature throwing motions, things that make these obviously special players truly stand out.

illwill10
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I think the Reaction Time feature is the main improvement to RTG.
"The experience of being a college football superstar is now even more exciting with a new feature in Road to Glory that allows players to see and feel the game differently during key moments, increasing on-field awareness and creating amazing opportunities."

It is something I wont use in RTG. I just hope they finally have Custom Quarter Lengths in RTG. I would love to see drills, but I doubt will happen

ram29jackson
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
This looks like an awful copy of 2k's Challenge Mode. I have no problem with them copying the idea at all but they totally missed the point. People played The Jordan Challenge because 2k actually got his playstyle, signature moves, mannerisms and the memorable moments down pat. They also put you in his shoes during the right time period. This is just pre-made create a player mode with juiced up ratings. If they could have recreated that same feeling with Baryy Sanders that 2k did with Jordan I would be all over this. But in the clips Barry looks like he plays no differently than any other RB in NCAA. They could have at least given him a more personalized player model but the model he has is so generic. Nothing about that player resembles Barry except his face. His low center of gravity, jukes cutting ability and spin moves are just not there. Add to the fact that you're just playing against the normal modern day rosters and the mode makes no sense. How could they miss the point of this mode so badly? But when you see how Alex demoed the game its easy to see who this is marketed too. When he played as Howard he only ran something remotely close to the route once. And still the QB magically knew where he was going to be and threw it to him right on the money despite the fact that he ran completely different routes than the ones that were called. Awful.

I agree, its generic fodder

ram29jackson
06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
thats funny/interesting...EA just changed the look of their forums to the new NCAA 13 backround..the green actually looks better LOL its easier on the eyes

cdj
06-04-2012, 04:24 PM
E3 2012: Slow Your Role in NCAA Football 13's Heisman Mode (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-slow-your-role-in-ncaa-football-13s-heisman-mode#.T80kUEYuLps.twitter)

NCAA is holding off on using Madden's new Infinity Engine until next year, which means this superior football franchise needs to use itself to its advantage if it wants to keep its edge sharp as ever. The Heisman mode isn't just about giving you a name to play. It's about putting top-tier players from the past on any roster you want. Eddie George and Charlie Ward can bring school pride to your favorite team even if they didn't really go there. With more coming as DLC, EA Sports is really planning to run with this.

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
It's about putting top-tier players from the past on any roster you want. Eddie George and Charlie Ward can bring school pride to your favorite team even if they didn't really go there. With more coming as DLC, EA Sports is really planning to run with this

boring..yawn..etc :)

really quite silly is all it is. Road to Glory will still be more fun than this

gschwendt
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Marcus Allen talks a little about NCAA13 (http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/1079/marcus-allen-talks-ncaa-13-usc)

gschwendt
08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Heisman Challenge Packs available on PSN & XBL (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151112917132280.459426.90440037279&type=1).

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/478408_10151112917212280_110332898_o.jpg

Unlock Tim Tebow, Mark Ingram, and Matt Leinart for use in Heisman Mode with the Heisman Challenge - Recent Winners Pack!

400 MSP (XBox Live Marketplace)
$4.99 USD (PlayStation Store)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/193442_10151112923422280_875854752_o.jpg

Unlock Tim Brown, Archie Griffin, and Jim Plunkett for use in Heisman Mode with the Heisman Challenge - Classic Players Pack!

400 MSP (XBox Live Marketplace)
$4.99 USD (PlayStation Store)

CLW
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Wow $5 is a bit steep for three RTG players you could probably create yourself if you really wanted to. It MIGHT be worth $2.50 if you were REALLY into the mode.

JBHuskers
08-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Yeah, they don't tie into me getting the :plat: so I will probably pass.

CLW
08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, they don't tie into me getting the :plat: so I will probably pass.

LMAO I'd be LIVID if I had to do Heisman mode 6 more times. It became so..... tedious/boring during Season Ticket it became a running joke in the threads here posting stats.

JBHuskers
08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
LMAO I'd be LIVID if I had to do Heisman mode 6 more times. It became so..... tedious/boring during Season Ticket it became a running joke in the threads here posting stats.

Yeah I got through RGIII really quick, still stuck on Sanders. It is tedious and boring.

CLW
08-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah I got through RGIII really quick, still stuck on Sanders. It is tedious and boring.

Here was my strategy

#1 RBs - go to :Wisconsin: run WILD for 2 games and then just super sim the rest of the season
#2 QBs - go to :Oklahoma_State: throw like CRAZY for 2 games then just super sim
#3 WRs - go to :USC: run nothing but streaks for a few weeks and then super sim

JeffHCross
08-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow $5 is a bit steep for three RTG players you could probably create yourself if you really wanted to.For me, it's not about them being RTG guys (and I'm not sure how you'd go about creating them yourself). I love the videos. Eddie George's video about Illinois (which, if you're playing as Ohio State, unlocks the week of the Illinois game) is awesome. He starts laughing when he's reminiscing about having 187 yards at halftime. Because, y'know, it is laughably ridiculous.