PDA

View Full Version : Idea on chipping

gigemaggs99
05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
In real life I've always liked to use my 7 or 8 iron to do a little bump and run when the ball is on the fringe. The ball gets rolling faster and it's more like reading a putt.

I was watching golf yesterday on the Golf Channel and they had one of those quick tips. This guy used his normal wedge (something like a Gap W) whatever he said you normally use for chipping and instead of using the 7 or 8 iron to bump n run from the fringe, move the ball back in your stance, close you stance and slightly "hood" the club. Then when you swing do it like your putting stroke or "bump n run" stroke. He said this will pop the ball up and over the fringe and get it on the green, then the hooded club will put top-spin on the ball and it will run towards the hole.

I tried this in TW13. I aim right to account for the slight pull you get from closing your stance but the ball jumps onto the green pretty quick and then the roll is pretty long so it's pretty close to putting from the fringe without having to "putt" through the fringe.

I had a hand-full of good shots getting the chips within 3' or less.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, it seems to help me. Of course with the LOW numbers ya'll are posting it probably is a mute point but I thought it might help someone out.

Happy Golfing!

On, a side note I really like that you can hit any club you want this year. I have hit the driver off the deck a few times and it works pretty well. I still want to see if I can chip w/ my 3W. Vijay Singh used to do that a lot back in the day. He'd choke way down and use his 3W like a putter.

gigemaggs99
05-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Found out you CAN chip w/ your 3W :nod:

I like that for the first time in a long time, maybe since PGA Tour II on Sega you can actually play any shot you want. :))

JDFlakes
05-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Found out you CAN chip w/ your 3W :nod:

I like that for the first time in a long time, maybe since PGA Tour II on Sega you can actually play any shot you want. :))

:))

gigemaggs99
09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Any tips? I've taken a lot of time off of this game and here recently been playing the daylights out of it. I'm really happy you can play any shot with any club but one thing I'm really struggling w/ is the short game. Putting wise I'm doing pretty good, or decent for me. Driver off the tee and irons I'm doing good too.

My problem is when I miss the greens and have to chip. The thing I don't understand is if for example I'm hitting an iron shot and I move the aim-target thingy then take a full swing it will go the distance I moved the aiming-target to. When Chipping or pitching this is not the case. If I'm chipping with my 60 degree LB it says it will go 60 yards, I move the aiming-target to the hole and it shows about a 25 yards. I figure if a full LB will go 60 yards then I should hit a little less than 1/2 to get around 25 yards...well it seems like I take the club back about 3 inches and then do full follow-thru but the ball flies past the hole, usually around 40 yards. I don't understand how I barely take the club back yet the ball travels so far? In real life if you did this the ball would go a few feet, not 40 yards.

The really strange thing is, if I use the PS Move controller chipping is normal. It's actually pretty cool.

Any tips on chipping and pitching would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT: ok, new guy alert. I went to the practice facility, what I've been doing wrong is using a FULL swing on chips and pitches :bang: Once I changed the swing to chip or pitch and moved the ball around my stance it makes more sense.