PDA

View Full Version : Alright, the internet continues to fail me. Tech Support help PLEASE

morsdraconis
05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Everytime I go to load a program that isn't a web browser or a few other things, I get this error:

'C:\Windows\system32\napinsp.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try reinstalling the program again using the originaal installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support'

And it says some shit about a "bad image" and then something related to the program that it's doing it during.

I've looked EVERYWHERE and already done the generally accepted way to fix it (running command prompt in administrative mode and typing "netsh winsock reset") without any effect to the issue at all. The accepted fix has something to do with not being able to connect to the internet, which I don't have a problem with at all.

I've been banging my head against this for a good two months on and off without anything helping. I'm about to say fuck it and reinstall Windows, but, apparently, sometimes it doesn't fix it either.

Any ideas?

JeffHCross
05-15-2012, 08:01 PM
When you say that a you can load a Web Browser, I'm going to take a wild guess that you're not using IE. What happens when you try to load IE? I'm trying to determine

Reinstalling Windows from scratch should certainly fix it. The mistake people probably make when reinstalling is that they don't clear off the previous version of Windows, so they wouldn't get a full clean install. That'd probably be the most sure-fire fix.

Resetting the winsock from the Command Prompt would only help if it was a setting or stuck port. If it's a corrupt DLL, I don't think netsh would be helpful at all. "In the Network and Sharing Center box, click Diagnose and Repair." might be worth a try though.

morsdraconis
05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
When you say that a you can load a Web Browser, I'm going to take a wild guess that you're not using IE. What happens when you try to load IE? I'm trying to determine

I think I completely deleted IE. The normal place where IE is (program file/internet explorer) doesn't have it and neither does the 32 bit folder for it either. Oh, btw, it's 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

Reinstalling Windows from scratch should certainly fix it. The mistake people probably make when reinstalling is that they don't clear off the previous version of Windows, so they wouldn't get a full clean install. That'd probably be the most sure-fire fix.

Yeah. I figured it would, but I REALLY hate having to reinstall windows. It's only been like 8 months or so since I last reinstalled windows. Usually lasts a little longer than that. ;)

Resetting the winsock from the Command Prompt would only help if it was a setting or stuck port. If it's a corrupt DLL, I don't think netsh would be helpful at all. "In the Network and Sharing Center box, click Diagnose and Repair." might be worth a try though.

Nothing from windows' dumb diagnose and repair crap (figured it wouldn't ;)).

I figured the winsock reset wouldn't work because I'm not having any internet issues though, interestingly enough, my system tray icon for my network connectivity has a red x on it that's been the case ever since this issue has been occurring.

gschwendt
05-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Not sure if this will help but here is a thread of someone having seeming identical problems.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic415040.html

I have Windows 7 Home x64 and the location of mine was in both of these locations (along with System32 & SysWOW64):
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-nlasvc_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_c37ae7 6e249b4c0c
C:\Windows\winsxs\wow64_microsoft-windows-nlasvc_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_cdcf91 c058fc0e07

morsdraconis
05-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, that didn't help. None of my nlaapi.dlls are messed up. Also, the error he's getting actually has to do with that particular .dll and not the .dll I'm having issues with (napinsp.dll).

I've tried pretty much everything I can find online already to try to fix it. I guess I'm just going to take the time this afternoon after work to reinstall windows :down:

morsdraconis
05-17-2012, 08:39 AM
FYI, I reinstalled windows and it worked fine. Not sure what the issue was, exactly, but it's gone now.

Now just gotta take the time to disable 50 billion services again... :fdown:

JeffHCross
05-19-2012, 05:22 PM
I think I completely deleted IE. The normal place where IE is (program file/internet explorer) doesn't have it and neither does the 32 bit folder for it either. Oh, btw, it's 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.By any chance did your issues start happening around the time that you deleted IE? Last time I tried to delete IE, I lost a ton of system functionality at the same time.

While I hate using IE (though there are some things I'm required to use it for), and hate having to patch IE, it's worth keeping on the system just for stability of Windows. They may have improved this with Windows 7 though.

morsdraconis
05-19-2012, 11:41 PM
IE is completely separate from Windows as of IE8. You can uninstall it with no issues at all.

I'm pretty sure it started when I used Clamwin to delete a virus I had. Not paying attention to the file the virus was attached to, I'm pretty sure Clamwin deleted something important from my Windows file system and fucked it all up.

JeffHCross
05-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Ah. I haven't tried since I upgraded to IE8, most likely. Funny enough, at work we've got this one system that claims it has IE8 on it, yet a Windows Update scan says it doesn't, and when you try to launch it, it fails. Trying to figure out what to do with that one. Maybe I'll just try to remove it :D

Your theory about Clamwin sounds solid.