PDA

View Full Version : Same control scheme in Madden & NCAA 13

ram29jackson
05-04-2012, 11:13 PM
from PastaPadre:

One somewhat overlooked change for this year that will affect the more dedicated sports gamer comes with EA Sports choosing to utilize the same control scheme in NCAA Football 13 as Madden NFL 13. In the past the two games have differed quite significantly with their controls to the extent that it had become hard to bounce from one game to the other comfortably.

While this has a few downsides (Madden switching back to the right stick kicking to match NCAA for example) it represents an indication that the company is more starting to consider the experience of consumers rather than caring only about differentiating the products. Though the number of people who actually buy both games is actually lower than one might think they shouldn’t be discounted because they represent the more passionate crowd that often drive perception by generating word of mouth whether positive or negative. This apparent shift in focus can also seen with the news of gameplay improvements which has been practically the same for NCAA as Madden given there is a central gameplay team working on both.

The way EA had split features between Madden and NCAA in the past had shown their goal was to try and create reasons for people to buy both of them – believing they couldn’t be too similar – rather than worrying about the experience of those that do or others who have gone away from it out of frustration. Bringing the control schemes together though is taking a step forward towards creating better experiences rather than generating additional talking points for the marketing.

Jayrah
05-06-2012, 11:53 PM
LOVE IT! To be quite honest, this WAS becoming a huge issue for me personally. I was to the point where if it were to stay on the path it was on, I wasn't going to be able to buy Madden because I really didn't like the differences. The controls and the game principles running down the same path (except of course where there can be and IS a substantial difference in the feel of the game) is giving me a terrific reason to jump back on the Madden Bus.

JeffHCross
05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Agreed. Even if the goal is the differentiate the products, making the control schemes different only hurts your hardcore consumer base. Consistency in controls goes a long way toward people adopting a new product.

ram29jackson
05-07-2012, 09:47 PM
This year in madden..since you could go online with a simplified strat pad.. I got use to it after about 15-20 games and found when playing online that most people/kids never shifted their offensive or defensive line directions or changed individual assignments... I can do just about anything except make one player bump cover while other dont..ive been playing waaay too much madden teamplay and that helped me learn the controls..but then i go back to my ncaa dynasty and can do anything LOL... I hope this doesnt mean that changing a lineman in madden to go straight wont cause an offsides penalty like in ncaa 12..?

or the stupid thing where you have to keep pulling up the control commands on screen because they disappear even though you didnt cancel them out after every play

PS3NetworkG
05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
So, which version actually received the change NCAA / MADDEN 13?

Please tell me it was MADDEN 13 that adopted NCAA 12 Controls - I refused to play or purchase the game until the control reverted back to MADDEN 10 controls, which are NCAA 12 controls....

EA threw away an entire demographic of players with MADDEN 11. They elected to get rid of the old guys like me – you know, the loyal guys...

We still love to play but we don't have the time to continually relearn controls every upgrade.... Ridicules move in my estimation, we’ve got the money….???

gschwendt
05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
It's essentially an amalgam of the two. The pre-play is all game dependent (at least NCAA didn't get the strategy pad) but during the play, it will be some NCAA, some Madden. For example, all of the NCAA moves, etc. will remain the same except now you'll also have the QB avoidance stuff and the pump fake to a specific receiver instead of just towards a direction.

Hope that answers your question but if you have a specific concern, feel free to post it and I'll do what I can to answer it.

ram29jackson
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
The pre-play is all game dependent

explain that please ?

gschwendt
05-18-2012, 04:36 PM
explain that please ?Essentially that NCAA didn't get Madden's "Stategy Pad" feature. All of the hot routes, etc. are all the same as they have been on recent NCAA's. I believe Madden keeps the strategy pad but I wouldn't swear to that.

JeffHCross
05-19-2012, 03:37 PM
So, the controls are the "same", but only (for certain) during a play. Pre-play (potentially, since you're not willing to "swear to it" ;)) remains different.

ram29jackson
05-20-2012, 03:42 AM
now I dont see how that means -the same- now ?..it should mean pre-play controls are the same.

..the controls have always been the same during a play ....?

Escobar
05-22-2012, 11:28 PM
nah, from memory Madden had L2 and L1 reversed. So L1 was strip L2 was swat on defense. Royally pissed me off, because I played almost a whole game of Madden against somebody before I realized they were switched, then came back and won the game because I could play pass defense again.