PDA

View Full Version : What Dynasty changes do you expect?

Kwizzy
04-20-2012, 01:03 PM
I was just curious what everyone takes out of the description given for the Dynasty playbook. Based on the description below, what changes do you expect?

Playbook #3: Dynasty
Game days come to life with mid-game updates featuring a new studio analyst, plus enhanced commentary from NCAA Football veterans Kirk Herbstreit and Brad Nessler. Recruiting now goes deeper than ever with the addition of dynamic grades and the ability to scout players. Plus, there are even more ways to interact with your Dynasty from the web.

Just think this could be a good way to pass the time between now & May 7th. Could be fun to look back and see who's right too. :popcorn:

Deuce
04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm interested to see what the dynamic grades means and how the scouting is going to work.

I think increasing roster size would be nice but doubt that will happen. I'd also like to see CC taken to the next level. Hiring/firing coordinators...etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram29jackson
04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
on the tech side- I want to be able to load all the highlights you ay i can without the dang thing freezing , for the dynasty upload highlights

JeffHCross
04-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I have it from a "reliable source" that they changed nothing.

Though I suspect he-who-shall-not-be-named was messing with my head.

I think it's obvious with some of the items mentioned in the Sights & Sounds that now Kirk and Brad will have more awareness of the on-going game. I believe that should extend to the potential, at least, for season statistics and dynasty discussions during the game. I expect the overall atmosphere of the commentary to be improved, or at least a solid foundation to be built for years to come.

The new studio analyst tease brings the possibility of Dari Nowkhah bringing some ESPNU updates to us during games. Maybe PS1-era on-going games and the sports ticker is going to make a return (though I don't see how this would be possible in Online Dynasty).

Dynamic grades suggests a reference to Dynamic Player Performance, the new addition to Madden last year. So, logically, that suggests busts and sleepers, if it ties to recruiting. Scouting would be a logical tie-in to busts/sleepers, particularly to those of us who have played Head Coach 09.

With Madden getting a healthy does of stuff from Head Coach 09 last year, I suspect some of it may be coming NCAA's way. I'd certainly welcome it, as evidenced by the fact that I've once again dove into playing HC09 in the last few weeks.

I also expect there are going to be several things that aren't remotely teased in that Playbook description. After all, why give away the whole story in the trailer?

pantherone26
04-21-2012, 06:18 PM
As someone who doesn't play Madden, only NCAA, can anyone give insight as to what they think of the Dynamic Player Performance in Madden last year and how they think that will translate to the NCAA series? Opinions on whether you guys like that idea?

I'd like to see Spring Game's added to the dynasty this year. I believe ESPN is televising 12 Spring Games this year, they are starting to become more and more popular IMO. In fact, I just watched Tennessee's spring game online for the first time ever this morning! To me the Spring Game would really help in getting a look at some players that I haven't played much with, either incoming Freshmen or new starters. Also, I feel like it would help when determining who to start the next season. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I have difficulty in deciding who is going to start the next season when players are very close in ratings. I really feel like some players just play better on the field and it takes me a game or two to decide who should start, especially at QB. Practice mode isn't enough for me, I rarely use it. I normally schedule a cupcake team in the first game so that I can see who I want to go to war with for the rest of the season!

I'd also like to see the return of the Magazine in dynasty mode, why was this ever taken out again?

GameDay would be sweet, but I doubt that's coming.

Hopefully they have kept Coaching Carousel and improved upon it.

I would also like to see the random, roulette style of pitches gone.

And my ultimate wish would be for a High School All American game with the top recruits in the country!

pantherone26
04-21-2012, 06:18 PM
As someone who doesn't play Madden, only NCAA, can anyone give insight as to what they think of the Dynamic Player Performance in Madden last year and how they think that will translate to the NCAA series? Opinions on whether you guys like that idea?

I'd like to see Spring Game's added to the dynasty this year. I believe ESPN is televising 12 Spring Games this year, they are starting to become more and more popular IMO. In fact, I just watched Tennessee's spring game online for the first time ever this morning! To me the Spring Game would really help in getting a look at some players that I haven't played much with, either incoming Freshmen or new starters. Also, I feel like it would help when determining who to start the next season. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I have difficulty in deciding who is going to start the next season when players are very close in ratings. I really feel like some players just play better on the field and it takes me a game or two to decide who should start, especially at QB. Practice mode isn't enough for me, I rarely use it. I normally schedule a cupcake team in the first game so that I can see who I want to go to war with for the rest of the season!

I'd also like to see the return of the Magazine in dynasty mode, why was this ever taken out again?

GameDay would be sweet, but I doubt that's coming.

Hopefully they have kept Coaching Carousel and improved upon it.

I would also like to see the random, roulette style of pitches gone.

And my ultimate wish would be for a High School All American game with the top recruits in the country!

JeffHCross
04-21-2012, 06:57 PM
As someone who doesn't play Madden, only NCAA, can anyone give insight as to what they think of the Dynamic Player Performance in Madden last year and how they think that will translate to the NCAA series? Opinions on whether you guys like that idea?I didn't play Madden, so I'm just going off of how it was described last year, and I love it. What it essentially boils down to is that an 80 OVR player doesn't play like an 80 OVR player every week. Sometimes he'll be 83, some 77, maybe even 90 or 70. The concept has been around a long time. I first became aware of it in how NASCAR Racing did their AI in 1994. Their ratings were actually ranges ... the best drivers (Earnhardt, for example) had very tight ranges at the higher end of the scale (let's say 95-99 to keep it in NCAA terms). The lesser drivers could still get up to that 95 rating, but their range was actually significantly larger, say 50-95. Before each race, the game would roll a rating for each driver and each rating, and thus it would be different every time you went on the track.

Dynamic Player Performance was a similar idea, though I didn't get an impression for whether the player ratings were being re-rolled per week/game, half, quarter, etc. Ideas like that, in my opinion, do a really solid job of emulating the fact that a player's or team's performance, from week to week, deviates from what we expect. The top guys, like Andrew Luck, don't deviate significantly, but even All-American aren't superstars every week.

I'd like to see Spring Game's added to the dynasty this year.I don't want to see the Spring Game that we had on the Playstation 2 / Xbox generation, because I personally didn't think it had value to the overall dynasty. Plus, with the advent of Online Dynasties, you have to consider that items like that had significant value for those that were able to play it, while guys that wouldn't be able to get their game in would lose out. The competitive balance can't be upset that dramatically.

However, I would love to see Practice Mode available within the offseason of Dynasty Mode. And you could easily call that Spring Practice or even the Spring Game. Thereby getting the goal of your suggestion (ability to practice with your team) while not having to add an entire new mode or feature set. I think Practice Mode should be available at all times, especially in Online Dynasty, with the current roster, no matter what stage you're at.

I'd also like to see the return of the Magazine in dynasty mode, why was this ever taken out again?I don't think it was ever "taken out" per se, it was just replaced with the ESPN.com-like headlines and graphics that you now have. Other than the cool covers, there's really nothing missing that the old Magazine feature had from the current game.

Hopefully they have kept Coaching CarouselThey'd never put the amount of effort that went in CC last year and then drop it.

And my ultimate wish would be for a High School All American game with the top recruits in the country!I've asked this from almost everyone that's suggested it (and you may have gotten it from me before as well), so ... why? What can you get from playing with the #1 HB that you can't already see from his ratings? And is there something you can get from playing with the HSAAs that will make you recruit / drop a guy that you were on the fence about? I don't mean to dismiss your suggestion, I'm just trying to figure out what the appeal of this mode would be -- because obviously others see the appeal while I'm missing something.

baseballplyrmvp
04-21-2012, 08:11 PM
I've asked this from almost everyone that's suggested it (and you may have gotten it from me before as well), so ... why? What can you get from playing with the #1 HB that you can't already see from his ratings? And is there something you can get from playing with the HSAAs that will make you recruit / drop a guy that you were on the fence about? I don't mean to dismiss your suggestion, I'm just trying to figure out what the appeal of this mode would be -- because obviously others see the appeal while I'm missing something.

exactly. you can already see every important rating for every recruit. there's zero point in having the high school all star games when all you have to do is compare that recruit to an existing player in your dynasty.

now, if they removed the ability to see every non measurable rating for every recruit (which i personally hope they did, and tied the new scouting option into it), i could see where the high school all star games could come in handy.....however, in that case, you should only be able to watch it, imo. you shouldnt be able to play as the recruits. but with the current recruiting model, there's no need for the all star games, imo.

jeff, you brought up a good point though, and the same kind of argument can be applied towards the spring game. is the spring game (by itself) gonna provide enough time/plays for someone who's unsure which player will be better at a certain position? personally, i dont think so, and i think the spring game doesnt add anything significant to dynasty. in order for it to contribute, it would need the spring camp.

steelerfan
04-21-2012, 08:29 PM
DPP was great in theory, and probably cool for simming, but I found that the same players were hot every week. Particularly my OL.

Overall, it added nothing for me. Perhaps with improvements, it could be better.

I also agree that Spring/All-American games would have no purpose and, without a purpose, they are not needed in the series.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JeffHCross
04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
is the spring game (by itself) gonna provide enough time/plays for someone who's unsure which player will be better at a certain position? personally, i dont think soI agree that it's confusing why I'll make the same argument in favor of one but not the other. Here's my reasoning: In Spring Practice, most of my team should be returning. So while I may want to see how my new QB will do (or, more often for me, how my team handles the new playbook I want to try) in my existing offense, there's not much uncertainty there.

By comparison, if I play a HS All-American game, I don't know anything about the majority of players. If I ran a play that I'm accustomed to getting 5 yards on, and I get stopped for a 2 yard loss, is that because of the offensive line? The back? The defense? Unless I've memorized the entire HS AA roster, I'm not going to know.

The other reason to have Practice Mode in the offseason, quite honestly, is because Online Dynasties can spend a decent amount of time in the Offseason, and there's very little to do if you've already completed your recruiting. Since there's no ability to export our Dynasty team (unlike Madden), we can't even practice with our new recruits or replacements.

I guess it's like this ... I don't feel it's likely that there's something I would see / feel / notice in an HS All-American game that would either stop me from recruiting an existing target, or suddenly decide that I must have that #2 WR. Whereas Practice Mode would allow those of us who otherwise schedule I-AA Northwest in Week 1 to bypass the uncertainty of our new squad.

That's why I wouldn't be in favor of a new mechanic or feature to simulate the Spring Game. I just want to have Practice Mode accessible in the offseason!

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Just switched over to ESPN and something hit me ... I'd like to see the following lineup for an ESPN studio show in-game:
Host: Jay Crawford (Ohio State fan)
Analysts: Robert Smith (alum), Joey Galloway (alum) and Chris Spielman (alum)

:D

pantherone26
04-22-2012, 01:54 AM
I've asked this from almost everyone that's suggested it (and you may have gotten it from me before as well), so ... why? What can you get from playing with the #1 HB that you can't already see from his ratings? And is there something you can get from playing with the HSAAs that will make you recruit / drop a guy that you were on the fence about? I don't mean to dismiss your suggestion, I'm just trying to figure out what the appeal of this mode would be -- because obviously others see the appeal while I'm missing something.

Well for me some players just have a "feel" to them. We can already know how fast a guy is, how agile, how tall, etc. but playing with them is different for me. I've had guys on my team that were rated 10 or so points overall less then a guy, but for whatever reason, those guys were my favorites due to big plays at the right time or winning me the game. Also, I like the idea of playing with a guy in this game and falling in love with him, then recruiting him like crazy to get him. Getting him would make recruiting that much sweeter, and losing out on him all the more heart breaking! Isn't that what makes recruiting fun? Now if you miss out on a guy, it's just a simple move on to the next one, but having a small connection to the player before recruiting begins would really be cool IMO.

morsdraconis
04-22-2012, 08:29 AM
I want Practice Mode BEFORE the change of position time. I want to be able to take players and change their positions and see how they play against my other starters.

If they're going to continue to emphasize Athletes (hopefully making them even more able to play multiple positions), I want the ability to try them out at various positions before making the final decision. 1 or 2 points overall doesn't tell me much. I want to see them out there on the field.

baseballplyrmvp
04-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Well for me some players just have a "feel" to them. We can already know how fast a guy is, how agile, how tall, etc. but playing with them is different for me. I've had guys on my team that were rated 10 or so points overall less then a guy, but for whatever reason, those guys were my favorites due to big plays at the right time or winning me the game. Also, I like the idea of playing with a guy in this game and falling in love with him, then recruiting him like crazy to get him. Getting him would make recruiting that much sweeter, and losing out on him all the more heart breaking! Isn't that what makes recruiting fun? Now if you miss out on a guy, it's just a simple move on to the next one, but having a small connection to the player before recruiting begins would really be cool IMO.
ok, but the high school all star games are a little under a month before national signing day. so are you really gonna be able to swing some recruit that much that you're gonna be able to make up 1000+ points in the 5 weeks of offseason recruiting? furthermore, since this is a high school all star game, and practically all of the recruits invited (based on the current recruiting model) are 4 and 5 stars, a good majority of those recruits would already be committed to other schools. so even if you were able to play and fall in love with those kids, there's a good chance you wouldnt be able to recruit them anyways since they're already committed.

btw jeff, the 5 offseason weeks of recruiting....when is that supposed to happen in real life? i thought the time from the national championship to NSD was a no contact period for coaches?

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
before recruiting begins would really be cool IMO.As MVP said above, I think you hit on a very good point here. Unfortunately, to me (as well as MVP), it's a strong point AGAINST what you're asking for.

In College Hoops 2k, the AAU games are played during the offseason, and the players are still going to be in high school the next year. You see rising SRs, rising JRs, even rising FR, I think. There's no similar model in real college football. The Army and Under Armour games are for graduated seniors, many of whom have already made their choices. And if the game was during the Bowl period, as it is in real life, 85% (or more) of the recruits you saw would already be committed.

Now, if they wanted to replicate what 2k did, they could have offseason camps for rising Seniors. That's true to real life, and then you could get a preview of next year's class (though there's the logical problem with the idea -- next year's class hasn't been generated at that point ... it would have to be a Preseason task, which extends the Preseason for ODs even longer).

If they could figure out something to do with that (maybe with the oft-requested ability to recruit underclassmen, then you'd have those recruits already generated), that would be worthwhile. Maybe you could bring in 44 guys (22 per side) that you're interested in, and see how they play. It's not quite the Army All-American game, but in my opinion this idea may be similar enough to the All-American game, yet also bring in more legitimate value to Dynasty mode.

I want Practice Mode BEFORE the change of position time.In my eyes, Practice Mode should never go away. I know that's not true to real life, but I think you should be able to take the field with your team at all times, at least in Online Dynasty (when you can't just simulate through the offseason to get to try your team).

btw jeff, the 5 offseason weeks of recruiting....when is that supposed to happen in real life? i thought the time from the national championship to NSD was a no contact period for coaches?It's been my opinion that the Offseason recruiting is a legacy of the old recruiting model (before In-Season recruiting existed) and doesn't actually replicate any real life time period. There are too many problems with it, as it currently exists, to believe it replicates something from real CFB.

That said, the period from the MNC to NSD is not no-contact. Definitely not. If it was, you wouldn't have all these stories about players that flipped during that period -- because there wouldn't be anyone to flip them.

There are the following Dead Periods between the MNC and NSD (for 2012):
January 9 — January 12 — Dead Period (the day of the MNC through Thursday)
January 30 — February 2 — Dead Period. (the Monday preceding NSD through the day after)
If memory serves, even the term "Dead Period" is misnomer. I believe the players can call the coaches, but the coaches can't call the players. Which sounds stupid, but that's the only explanation for why players are calling coaches the night before NSD to say they're going to so-and-so. If it was a true No-Contact Period, that wouldn't be allowed.

January 29 is a Quiet Period, meaning recruits can go to college campuses, but the coaches aren't allowed to visit recruits off-campus. Otherwise (and including the above limits), the entire period from November 27 (the day after the regular season ended, I believe) through Janaury 28 was a Contact Period (allowing off-campus, in-person visits, one visit per week, one phone call per week). This is the time period that Offseason Recruiting is supposed to replicate, but obviously it's not a 1:1 relationship.

DPP was great in theory, and probably cool for simming, but I found that the same players were hot every week. Particularly my OL.

Overall, it added nothing for me. Perhaps with improvements, it could be better.Good example for why I said that I was judging DPP by the description, not by actual playtime with Madden. It sounds like, in practice, that DPP was just a fancy name for the Hot/Cold system we had for years. That was totally not my understanding of what it was claimed/designed/intended to be. And if that's all it is, that's pretty disappointing.

FWIW, I don't think the mention of "dynamic grades" in the Playbook #3: Dynasty description actually means DPP. I think it means sleeper and busts in recruiting, since it specifically mentions it with recruiting.

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 11:38 AM
And, after all that ... what I really came here to say was that after talking about Head Coach 09 again this morning, I would love to see players have a Play Knowledge amount, which affects players running the right routes, right plays, etc, and also stops people (like me) from constantly changing playbooks. Of course, there's a lot of back-end changes that have to be made for this to happen, and I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. But I would love it.

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 12:53 PM
"Even more ways to interact with your Dynasty from the Web" had caught my eye. Maybe there's some insight from this news article from Europe ...

At EA's UK showcase this week, EA's Northern Europe boss Keith Ramsdale said all of EA's game franchises, including FIFA, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Star Wars, The Sims and Need for Speed, were being transformed in this way.

This means more than simple online play, Ramsdale explained. It involves being able to play a "brand" across multiple devices, each one contributing to a singular goal - and profile.

Ramsdale used FIFA by way of an example. "Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an online match on his 360 before going to work," he said. "On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-20-ea-turning-all-of-its-brands-into-online-universes

t2jbird
04-23-2012, 09:07 AM
"Even more ways to interact with your Dynasty from the Web" had caught my eye. Maybe there's some insight from this news article from Europe ...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-20-ea-turning-all-of-its-brands-into-online-universes

Good find! I expect to be recruiting for my dynasty from my iPhone come July. Ha

baseballplyrmvp
04-23-2012, 10:27 AM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-20-ea-turning-all-of-its-brands-into-online-universesi've been seeing commercials for sony thats allowing you to play your games across multiple platforms- starting on ps3, transferring it to your vita, being on computer, back to vita, then back to ps3. might be interesting

ryby6969
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
I think what dynamic grade means is like back on the PS2 days when you would scout someone and it would either confirm their 40 time or bench press, or it would change. It might bump them up from a B to say a B+, or drop them down from like an A to a B+.

SmoothPancakes
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm looking forward to what hearing what changes they've made to coaching carousel and custom conferences.

WolverineJay
04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I would love to see a major overhaul of recruiting in Dynasty mode of NCAA 13.

New Pitches, send letter to gain a recruit's interests during the pre-season, junk the slot machine recruiting all together it is boring and unrealistic, junk the off-season recruiting(make off-season way quicker) and add those weeks into the post-season(conference championship week, and each of the bowl weeks, and a national signing day after the MNC game).

Kwizzy
04-23-2012, 03:36 PM
junk the off-season recruiting(make off-season way quicker) and add those weeks into the post-season(conference championship week, and each of the bowl weeks, and a national signing day after the MNC game).

Love this idea, never thought of it before.

souljahbill
04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I would love to see a major overhaul of recruiting in Dynasty mode of NCAA 13.

New Pitches, send letter to gain a recruit's interests during the pre-season, junk the slot machine recruiting all together it is boring and unrealistic, junk the off-season recruiting(make off-season way quicker) and add those weeks into the post-season(conference championship week, and each of the bowl weeks, and a national signing day after the MNC game).

I prefer the slot machine to the old "spam your top 3 with a happy football face" way. The slot machine just needs some tweaks. For instance, if a recruit doesn't care about a pitch, why is he bringing it up? Recruits should only bring up things that are average, at worst. Coach's pick would allow you to pick topics they don't care about. Also, pitches should "lock" sooner. If there's no way to sway a recruit on a pitch after 3 weeks, it should lock at that level. I've tried to upsway topics for weeks and they keep saying that I can't for that topic.

steelerfan
04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I like the current system alot more than the old way, too. That said, I'm also open to anything that makes it better (adds to it, or an overhaul).

I think the key is to be sure it doesn't become too tedious. I don't want to spend a ton of time on recruiting, particularly if it is pointless. At that point, it becomes a hassle.

souljahbill
04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Can someone explain something to me? In NCAA '12, how does the OC/DC thing work? As in, if I'm playing a school where the head coach's offense is the option but the OC's offense is an Air Raid offense, who's offense do they use? Same for defense.

morsdraconis
04-23-2012, 07:01 PM
It's always the HC for both.

souljahbill
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
It's always the HC for both.

Gotcha. Thanks. So that means the OC/DC is just a token until the end season carousel.

morsdraconis
04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. So that means the OC/DC is just a token until the end season carousel.

Yup.

They have no effect on the team in the game's current state. I'm GREATLY hoping that that evolves with the next iteration of the game as the DC and OC should have a major effect on the team as they play just as pivotal of a role on the team (sometimes more so) than the coach does.

JeffHCross
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
i've been seeing commercials for sony thats allowing you to play your games across multiple platforms- starting on ps3, transferring it to your vita, being on computer, back to vita, then back to ps3. might be interestingYes, but I would be surprised to see that "feature" appear on third-party titles anytime soon. That seems like something Sony will be alone in doing, in my opinion. Getting third-party companies to develop for Vita will be hard enough.

I think what dynamic grade means is like back on the PS2 days when you would scout someone and it would either confirm their 40 time or bench press, or it would change. It might bump them up from a B to say a B+, or drop them down from like an A to a B+.If I had to bet on something, you're probably right. I just hope there's a little more at play than just scouting confirming or changing ratings. That's not really "dynamic" to me.

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 12:28 AM

Personally, I've gotten some added depth on NCAA 12 by changing my playbooks to the ones my new coordinators used before. Obviously, this only affects my team and only matters when I'm the HC, but it gives me a new set of books when my school has coaching changes, which keeps things fresh.

Dr Death
04-24-2012, 01:29 AM
I've been in and out of the emergency room so much this week I may have to start collecting my mail there and as the pain meds put me to sleep I haven't had time to read all these posts, but here's what I HOPE - not EXPECT - but hope is in Dynasty in NCAA 13:

1: 85 man teams

2: Spring Games

3: Better recruiting than the Roulette Wheel thing

4: Interested in how the scouting works

5: The occasional kid who graduates high school early and enrolls in your school in time for the Spring Game

6: Scores of other games during our games

7: Coaching Carousel fixed. If I put my Passing to 99 - now you can only go to 85 - but if I put it as high as can be, I shouldn't be tied to a contract that calls for 1,200 yards rushing and 15 rushing TD's. Make it based on your style of coaching

8: Most will disagree w/ this, but it's realistic. If I take over as an Offensive Co-Ordinator I should only be able to HELP recruit offensive guys. Not defensive guys and I shouldn't be doing all the recruiting. That's the job of the head coach. I get that some want total control, fine, give us the option to turn realism on or off. I think it would make being an OC or DC much more realistic and much more challenging

9: Did I mention socks? No? Never mind. I want rivalry games, no matter how big {:USC: vs :UCLA:} or how small {:FAU: vs :FIU:} to mean something special and extra!

10: The ability to set times for our games. That would be a huge addition

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Good list, Dr. Death, and I actually think most would agree with you on #8. I know I do.

Sorry to hear you're having some health issues. Get back to 100% soon, brother.

SmoothPancakes
04-24-2012, 02:41 AM
I've been in and out of the emergency room so much this week I may have to start collecting my mail there and as the pain meds put me to sleep I haven't had time to read all these posts, but here's what I HOPE - not EXPECT - but hope is in Dynasty in NCAA 13:

1: 85 man teams

2: Spring Games

3: Better recruiting than the Roulette Wheel thing

4: Interested in how the scouting works

5: The occasional kid who graduates high school early and enrolls in your school in time for the Spring Game

6: Scores of other games during our games

7: Coaching Carousel fixed. If I put my Passing to 99 - now you can only go to 85 - but if I put it as high as can be, I shouldn't be tied to a contract that calls for 1,200 yards rushing and 15 rushing TD's. Make it based on your style of coaching

8: Most will disagree w/ this, but it's realistic. If I take over as an Offensive Co-Ordinator I should only be able to HELP recruit offensive guys. Not defensive guys and I shouldn't be doing all the recruiting. That's the job of the head coach. I get that some want total control, fine, give us the option to turn realism on or off. I think it would make being an OC or DC much more realistic and much more challenging

9: Did I mention socks? No? Never mind. I want rivalry games, no matter how big {:USC: vs :UCLA:} or how small {:FAU: vs :FIU:} to mean something special and extra!

10: The ability to set times for our games. That would be a huge addition

#1 - I don't think we'll see it on this generation of consoles, but it would definitely be a welcome addition. #2 - I've never been a big proponent of spring games, but it would be nice for some position battles and have my rosters lined up going into the first game of the season. #3 - I would like to see something other than the roulette wheel, but the only thing that scares me is if we get rid of the current system for some entirely brand new system, will it be worse than the previous system? We've gone down this road before with recruiting in NCAA. #4 - Same here. I can't wait to hear all about it.

#5 - It would be interesting to see something like that, depending on how it was implemented by EA. #6 - Yes, yes, yes. In games, I have absolutely no connection to the rest of the NCAA, just simply doing nothing but what feels like playing a Play Now game. Give us score updates, score tickers along the bottom, etc. Something to tie in the current week of the dynasty and all of the other action going on in the NCAA into this current game that I'm playing. #7 - Agreed. Right now, while I'm playing a mix of run and pass in my offense, if I were to go to a pass heavy team down the road, unless I just cause complete upheaval in the current system and roster of the team, I don't want to have my contract details wanting me to rush for some many yards or so many TDs while I'm going to be passing left and right.

#8 - I actually do agree with this, but I agree that there should be an option to turn it on or off by the user. The only thing that worries me is based on how the CPU does recruiting. We know ALL about the issues in the past with AI recruiting, teams sitting there hoarding a shit ton of players at skill positions. If that isn't permanently fixed, I'm not so willing to trust the AI with recruiting for the other half of my team and trust them not to completely fuck the team up and ruin the future of the program. That's my major concern with that and why there would have to absolutely be an on/off switch in the dynasty options for users who want it or don't want it.

#9 - YES, YES, YES! Playing a Florida International dynasty, when I play our rivalry game with FAU, I don't get jackshit for a feeling of importance of the game when playing. I KNOW it's an important game because it's against our rivals and it will have a huge impact on where we finish in the final conference standings. But when playing the actual game, it's just the same old, same old, feels like I'm playing a Play Now game crap. No matter what level, whether it's USC and UCLA like you said, or Who Cares Tech and Bumfuck State, it should matter and be made an important game in the broadcast, no matter what, no matter who. FAU-FIU may not seem important to an Oregon fan, but just because FAU-FIU isn't in the same level as Oregon-Oregon State, doesn't make it less important. It may not be nationally important, it's still important to the individual fan bases.

#10 - Yes please. :nod: I would love to set up some early, midday, and late games throughout the season. Right now, with the way the game schedules, as FIU, 80-90% of my games are during the afternoon. I only have one or two games at night the entire season, when FIU actually played 8 games this past year at 6pm or later. For games at home at FIU stadium, every single game started, at the earliest, at 6pm. And yet here almost every one of my games in NCAA are noon or middle of the afternoon games. :glare: And make it obvious if/when you're playing a weeknight game. FIU played two games on Tuesday night, a game on Thursday night and a game on Friday night this past season, but in NCAA, every game feels like I'm just playing some on random Saturday. There's nothing obvious that I'm playing on a week night.

souljahbill
04-24-2012, 05:43 AM

I disagree with this because I know it's not really the head coaches job. At least, not at every school.

When I was a student trainer at Southern Miss, the coach over recruiting was our Special Teams coach. I'm sure coach Bower (our head coach at the time) had final say so's and whatnot (I don't really know because I was never in those meetings) but I do know that the recruiting coordinator was our special teams coach.

Now that I'm a high school athletic trainer, I've seen plenty of coaches (offensive and defensive) from college come to look at our best players and the side of the ball they coach is irrelevant. They just want our players. I remember UL-Monroe's Secondary coach talking to our head coach about an O-Linemen during the last round of "recruit season."

Dr Death
04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
No matter what level, whether it's USC and UCLA like you said, or Who Cares Tech and Bumfuck State

Do you realize the can of worms that you opened w/ this statement??? Now RamJackson29 is going to actually create those teams in Teambuilder!!! :D :D :D

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
I've been in and out of the emergency room so much this week I may have to start collecting my mail there and as the pain meds put me to sleep I haven't had time to read all these posts, hope you're alright man.

I disagree with this because I know it's not really the head coaches job. At least, not at every school.

When I was a student trainer at Southern Miss, the coach over recruiting was our Special Teams coach. I'm sure coach Bower (our head coach at the time) had final say so's and whatnot (I don't really know because I was never in those meetings) but I do know that the recruiting coordinator was our special teams coach.

Now that I'm a high school athletic trainer, I've seen plenty of coaches (offensive and defensive) from college come to look at our best players and the side of the ball they coach is irrelevant. They just want our players. I remember UL-Monroe's Secondary coach talking to our head coach about an O-Linemen during the last round of "recruit season."
this. it doesnt happen as often as one would think. coaches these days get their instructions from the recruiting coordinator and most often recruit the kids who live in the geographical area the coach is recruiting. just going through :USC:'s commits for last year, very few of them were actually recruited hard by the position coach they would be playing for. for the recruits who held off on committing up until NSD, most were recruited by coaches on both sides of the ball. i've been following :USC:'s recruiting pretty hard for about 4 years now, and i cant say that i've ever seen this idea be used by them. sorry Dr. D but i think that since you're playing the position of the recruiting coordinator, you should have the ability to call anyone you want.

morsdraconis
04-24-2012, 10:43 AM
And, see, going by what WVU has done the past few years, I would say the exact opposite. More often than not, it's been the positional coaches that have been the ones to contact these kids with the coach doing a bit of selling as well, but, it's always been the positional coach of what group the kid would be playing in.

WVU never sends one of the defensive coaches to contact an offensive player. Most often, it's the positional coach for that kid (QBs coach, RBs coach, WRs coach, etc).

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Do you realize the can of worms that you opened w/ this statement??? Now RamJackson29 is going to actually create those teams in Teambuilder!!! :D :D :D

:fp: :D

pantherone26
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
One thing I forgot to mention that I would like to see brought back, Neutral Site games in dynasty. These are common place now and there should be a couple to kick the season off every year.

ryby6969
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I think Spring Games would be good if there was some kind of playbook factor involved. It would help kids learn a new playbook, or EE freshmen get a head start on the playbook. They need something so you are not able to go out there with a true Fresh QB, and act like Peyton Manning at the line calling audibles and hot routes in the first game of the season. You should be penalized more by having to start true freshman, especially if you start multiple ones on each side of the ball.

psuexv
04-24-2012, 02:29 PM
I like the current system alot more than the old way, too. That said, I'm also open to anything that makes it better (adds to it, or an overhaul).

I think the key is to be sure it doesn't become too tedious. I don't want to spend a ton of time on recruiting, particularly if it is pointless. At that point, it becomes a hassle.

My biggest problems with the recruiting, as we've talked about at length in the recruiting thread, is the tediousness of it. I don't particular mind the system at it's core, but it definitely could use improving. It's the lag time in between loading pitches, or running the roulette pitch wheel, the lag time going into a call and getting out of a call. It's just a lot of time that adds up and makes it boring. That's particularly why I recruit from the web most of the time, even though it has it's issues as well.

Also as stated above, get rid of the "new" recruits and offseason recruiting. The new recruits had to be added to make offseason recruiting mean something and it's completely unrealistic.

psuexv
04-24-2012, 02:35 PM
And, see, going by what WVU has done the past few years, I would say the exact opposite. More often than not, it's been the positional coaches that have been the ones to contact these kids with the coach doing a bit of selling as well, but, it's always been the positional coach of what group the kid would be playing in.

WVU never sends one of the defensive coaches to contact an offensive player. Most often, it's the positional coach for that kid (QBs coach, RBs coach, WRs coach, etc).

Every school is so different. PSU for years had been location based. Larry Johnson Sr(defensive line coach) recruited Maryland - offense or defense. Same with Tom Bradley(DC) - recruited Pittsburgh and was the one recruiting Terrelle Pryor. Now when the kids come on campus or have questions they will get the position coaches involved.

psuexv
04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm sure JHC can answer this for me, but what game was it that used to have the Spring Game. I'm thinking it was Gamebreaker. Whatever it was I used to always sim it. Now the preseason position drills I used to always do. They used to add ratings to your players but it was an awesome way to practice your skills. I think these could easily be brought back and thrown into a Practice mode.

Like most have noted I would love to see Practice mode in the offseason but would also love to see a practice mode revamp. I think they took huge steps with the Practice mode in TW this year. For those not familiar, you can move your ball about the course and practice different shots, they added a putting green, etc.

I'd love to see a scrimmage type set up, be able to move the ball easily to different positions on the field, set specific scenarios(3rd and 3) and have the offense or defense call plays based off of that scenario, also on defensive I would love to be able to tell the offense what to run and even tell the QB who to throw to(this would be huge if your going into a user game where you know the user constantly throws to the TE for example), bring back the mini-game/position drills(not the stupid bowling ones)

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
NCAA used to have a Spring Game. I also simmed it. You had the ratings, why waste your time pretending you don't know which player is better? :dunno:

If I'm not mistaken, NCAA also had the East-West Shrine Game. Another waste of time that I simmed.

psuexv
04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
NCAA used to have a Spring Game. I also simmed it. You had the ratings, why waste your time pretending you don't know which player is better? :dunno:

If I'm not mistaken, NCAA also had the East-West Shrine Game. Another waste of time that I simmed.

Yeah I just don't see the point of them. If they wanted to add a HS All Star game I would add it so it's automatically simmed and you get to see the results from it, but definitely not play it.

psuexv
04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Game days come to life with mid-game updates featuring a new studio analyst

I worry about this one too. They added that in game tracker thing this year and I ended up always skipping past it. Usually by accident as I'm an impatient person who hits my "x" button too much. But I'd much rather see in-game stats pop up then a cut scene to in-game analyst.

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
My biggest problems with the recruiting, as we've talked about at length in the recruiting thread, is the tediousness of it. I don't particular mind the system at it's core, but it definitely could use improving. It's the lag time in between loading pitches, or running the roulette pitch wheel, the lag time going into a call and getting out of a call. It's just a lot of time that adds up and makes it boring. That's particularly why I recruit from the web most of the time, even though it has it's issues as well.

Also as stated above, get rid of the "new" recruits and offseason recruiting. The new recruits had to be added to make offseason recruiting mean something and it's completely unrealistic. you know that you can instantly go right to your pitch by hitting :360a::ps3x:, right, bypassing the whole spin the wheel simulation? you dont have to wait for the wheel to go through every pitch and finally come to a stop on one.

i can see your point about the "roulette wheel" being tedious, and i wouldnt mind if they just removed the whole "spin the wheel and see where it lands" simulation. i think that if the next pitch just instantly popped up after the previous one, it'd cut down on the time.

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 03:27 PM
I worry about this one too. They added that in game tracker thing this year and I ended up always skipping past it. Usually by accident as I'm an impatient person who hits my "x" button too much. But I'd much rather see in-game stats pop up then a cut scene to in-game analyst.

i agree. i'd be in favor of a picture in a picture type of format, where he appears in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. i wouldnt want my game to stop, take a trip to the espn studios for mid game updates, and then go back to the game. i wanna keep playing my game as i'm hearing the updates

Dr Death
04-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah I just don't see the point of them. If they wanted to add a HS All Star game I would add it so it's automatically simmed and you get to see the results from it, but definitely not play it.

Am I reading these posts correctly??? People NOT wanting a Spring game??? Okay, let me explain why I want that in the game and I bet others will agree. I know I play differently than others do, but for me, if I recruit 4 WR's and all have different skill sets, it would allow me to see these guys in various positions and to see their strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe one of those four is a hidden gem - maybe his catch rating his 67, but in the Spring Game he looks like Megatron. These are little things that add realism to the game and also can help you out on your incoming Freshman. You get an outside linebacker who's rated as very good in pass protection, but in the Spring Game you notice he's great at rushing the QB. Why would anyone not want this???

Or - on the flip side - perhaps you recruit a guy who's supposedly a stud but in the Spring Game he plays like crap. Now you know he isn't likely to start or even play year one. Heck, you may even choose to redshirt him. The off-season ratings increase would mean a lot more if they were based on a Spring Game, IMO. But you guys don't want this???

Someone explain this to me, please!!!

psuexv
04-24-2012, 03:33 PM
you know that you can instantly go right to your pitch by hitting :360a::ps3x:, right, bypassing the whole spin the wheel simulation? you dont have to wait for the wheel to go through every pitch and finally come to a stop on one.

i can see your point about the "roulette wheel" being tedious, and i wouldnt mind if they just removed the whole "spin the wheel and see where it lands" simulation. i think that if the next pitch just instantly popped up after the previous one, it'd cut down on the time.

yeah I pretty much always do. But I shouldn't have to.

morsdraconis
04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
you know that you can instantly go right to your pitch by hitting :360a::ps3x:, right, bypassing the whole spin the wheel simulation? you dont have to wait for the wheel to go through every pitch and finally come to a stop on one.

I HATE the roulette wheel crap. HATE HATE HATE it. It has ruined the one thing that I truly enjoyed about recruiting by taking the strategy away from it, completely. Instead, it's pretty obvious whether or not you're going to get the kid pretty early by seeing how fucked you are by the wheel (unless you're playing on a lower difficulty level recruiting wise, then no matter how bad you do, you'll still get the kid).

The programming is so damn obvious, it's painful to even sit through. After two weeks of 60 minute calls, I can tell whether or not I have a prayer with the guy or if the CPU is just going to cheese it's way into me not being able to recruit him, not matter how well my stuff lines up with his interests (since it's nigh impossible to get what you want in a call unless in a lower difficulty or the kid obviously wants to come to your school).

I can't count on two hands how many times I've had a kid that has a high and a most in two of my B+ or better categories as a school but the fuckin' "roulette" (and I use that term VERY loosely) wheel fucks me by never giving me the two categories that I'm actually good in to recruit the damn kid. I mean, sure, I might get it 1 call in 4 or something like that, but that's bullshit.

Give me the old system, refined, using the one hour per player limitation of now (to minimalize the ability to spend 3 hours on one recruit cheat that was so retarded easy to do in the previous recruiting setup) with the new setup of being able to offer promises and such, along with having to use recruiting time to actually scout the players to get the correct ratings on these kids as well as make the damn SPARQ ratings actually fuckin' mean something and I'd be good with recruiting. All this new shit with the damn wheel is just trivial and half-assed as hell.

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Am I reading these posts correctly??? People NOT wanting a Spring game??? Okay, let me explain why I want that in the game and I bet others will agree. I know I play differently than others do, but for me, if I recruit 4 WR's and all have different skill sets, it would allow me to see these guys in various positions and to see their strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe one of those four is a hidden gem - maybe his catch rating his 67, but in the Spring Game he looks like Megatron. These are little things that add realism to the game and also can help you out on your incoming Freshman. You get an outside linebacker who's rated as very good in pass protection, but in the Spring Game you notice he's great at rushing the QB. Why would anyone not want this???

Or - on the flip side - perhaps you recruit a guy who's supposedly a stud but in the Spring Game he plays like crap. Now you know he isn't likely to start or even play year one. Heck, you may even choose to redshirt him. The off-season ratings increase would mean a lot more if they were based on a Spring Game, IMO. But you guys don't want this???

Someone explain this to me, please!!!incoming freshman would not be able to participate in the spring game, unless they were an early enroller.

i know we all play differently, but i dont need a spring game to help show me how a player is gonna play when i already know his ratings. i already have a fairly good idea of what he's capable of just by comparing his skill sets to the other receivers on my roster. thats my two cents though.

psuexv
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM

yes you are reading that correctly :) I think all of this could easily be accomplished with a more in depth practice mode, where you could actually focus on "trying out" these WRs. I completely agree with you though, that some players just seem to play better than their ratings, and I think a practice mode you could see this.

With your incoming freshmen argument, typical Freshman don't enroll until the summer or fall, well after the spring game. Most players playing in a spring game have been in the program for a whole year, unless they are early enrollers.

psuexv
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
incoming freshman would not be able to participate in the spring game, unless they were an early enroller.

LOL, well said :nod:

Kwizzy
04-24-2012, 03:41 PM

See for me, if individual players felt different when playing with them I would definitely love a spring game. Currently however, all of the players essentially feel the same and have the same jukes. So with the players currently moving and playing like they do, I agree with you. However if they were to change that it would immediately change my mind. (Queue a Rudy rant in 5,4,3,2,1...) :D

psuexv
04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I HATE the roulette wheel crap. HATE HATE HATE it. It has ruined the one thing that I truly enjoyed about recruiting by taking the strategy away from it, completely. Instead, it's pretty obvious whether or not you're going to get the kid pretty early by seeing how fucked you are by the wheel (unless you're playing on a lower difficulty level recruiting wise, then no matter how bad you do, you'll still get the kid).

The programming is so damn obvious, it's painful to even sit through. After two weeks of 60 minute calls, I can tell whether or not I have a prayer with the guy or if the CPU is just going to cheese it's way into me not being able to recruit him, not matter how well my stuff lines up with his interests (since it's nigh impossible to get what you want in a call unless in a lower difficulty or the kid obviously wants to come to your school).

I can't count on two hands how many times I've had a kid that has a high and a most in two of my B+ or better categories as a school but the fuckin' "roulette" (and I use that term VERY loosely) wheel fucks me by never giving me the two categories that I'm actually good in to recruit the damn kid. I mean, sure, I might get it 1 call in 4 or something like that, but that's bullshit.

Give me the old system, refined, using the one hour per player limitation of now (to minimalize the ability to spend 3 hours on one recruit cheat that was so retarded easy to do in the previous recruiting setup) with the new setup of being able to offer promises and such, along with having to use recruiting time to actually scout the players to get the correct ratings on these kids as well as make the damn SPARQ ratings actually fuckin' mean something and I'd be good with recruiting. All this new shit with the damn wheel is just trivial and half-assed as hell.

I kind of understand the roulette wheel as they are trying to have you talk to kids about more stuff than your Very Highs and make it more robust. But as Mors so eloquently put, why would I talk to a kid that has a pitch at low and my grade is D???? I can tell you why, I should get points for pitching that. If playing early is Low for him and my depth chart is full so my grade is a D, I should be able to tell him that "I understand you want and need some time to grow, we are very deep and you will be able to come in and learn from a talented group and develop yourself into an elite player"

psuexv
04-24-2012, 03:48 PM
See for me, if individual players felt different when playing with them I would definitely love a spring game. Currently however, all of the players essentially feel the same and have the same jukes. So with the players currently moving and playing like they do, I agree with you. However if they were to change that it would immediately change my mind. (Queue a Rudy rant in 5,4,3,2,1...) :D

Once again though, something I think would be able to get a better feel for in a more in depth practice mode than just one game where for example that 3rd string WR might only get one pass thrown to him.

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 03:48 PM
the roulette wheel was also meant to take away some of our control, thereby making it harder to recruit. with the roulette wheel, i havent even come close to my record of 17 years in a row as the #1 ranked recruiting class, that i was able to get with the old style spam a pitch for a happy football face. lol

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Once again though, something I think would be able to get a better feel for in a more in depth practice mode than just one game where for example that 3rd string WR might only get one pass thrown to him.i agree. a more in-depth practice mode would be more useful, for me at least, than a spring game.

something like 7 on 7, 1 on 1 drills, 2 on 1 drills, etc, would be better, imo, for judging a wr, as you wouldnt be trying to read the defense and avoid the sack. your entire focus could be on the wr escaping the db's coverage.

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 04:18 PM

First, there was a Spring Game in the game before. It was a huge waste of time and anyone could easily compare ratings for guys to see who was better. And, no, I don't mean "just look at his OVR".

Second, in your scenario with the 4 WRs you recruited, they wouldn't play in the Spring Game anyway. Unless, of course, EA added the ability for some early enrollees. Even then, what are the chances that all 4 of your WRs enroll early? Probably zero.

I just know, in the past, the game was pointless. If ratings were somehow hidden, or dynamic, based on the results of the game, I may change my mind. But even then, why couldn't you just sim the game and then look at the ratings? To me, it's just a waste of time designed to make me feel like it matters when it doesn't. :dunno:

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 04:37 PM
the roulette wheel was also meant to take away some of our control, thereby making it harder to recruit. with the roulette wheel, i havent even come close to my record of 17 years in a row as the #1 ranked recruiting class, that i was able to get with the old style spam a pitch for a happy football face. lol

This.

I'm sure there is a better system than we have now, but I'd rather have the current system that makes it tougher to land a top class, than ANY system that allows me to exploit my way to the top.

I realize that most guys here wouldn't want an "easy top class" type of system either, but I fear what we might get if we have too much control.

Think about it. If you could "spam" your best topics, and then didn't sign a guy, you'd feel cheated by the AI. If you always got the guy, you'd easily dominate everything.

I'm all ears when it comes to a new recruiting system, but don't want anything that gives me so much control that I can pick and choose who I get. If a new system gives me similar results to what I get now, why bother changing it? To make it "real" or "fun"? Seems like they could spend their time in a more productive way than giving me a new system that garners relatively similar results.

I guess what I'm saying is that, now, I can't sign whoever I want and I like it that way. Why overhaul it for "overhauling it's" sake if the results you're looking for are (relatively) already there? I just don't want to go back to the day when I could sign virtually anyone I wanted.

Dr Death
04-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Second, in your scenario with the 4 WRs you recruited, they wouldn't play in the Spring Game anyway. Unless, of course, EA added the ability for some early enrollees. Even then, what are the chances that all 4 of your WRs enroll early? Probably zero.

Perhaps I should have clarified that, in my list of 10 things I would like to see, early enrollment's were one of the items I listed. Now of those four, say one was an early enrollment player and the other 3 were coming off of red-shirt years? That's what I'm getting at. And if some don't want it, it would still be nice for those of us who do, and I believe a lot do. If it could be simmed, fine, but for those that want to play it, having that option would be great.

Now as far as recruiting, I go back to what happened to me last year. I was recruiting a WR who had me like #9 on his list, and his Playing Time or Early Playing Time, whatever they call it, was A+. His top 8 schools the highest was a B-. Yet I didn't get to that pitch until week 9!!! I was like... seriously??? In real life I would be pitching that recruit to the kid a LOT.

"Do you want to go to :Texas: and red-shirt and then sit on the bench for two years because they have 11 studs already on the team? Or would you rather come here, start from day one and catch over a 100 passes next year?"

That's why I HATE, HATE, HATE the roulette wheel. Your best pitch which is also his Most doesn't show up until freaking late October/ early November! That just isn't right.

I also believe that your depth chart should not reflect a kid's playing time. If I have 13 WR's on my team, and the highest is a 3-star, and I'm recruiting a 5-star, that 5-star is going to start if he comes to my school. Yet in the game it will say something like D- for EPT. EPT should be up to US to decide, not the CPU and the depth chart.

ryby6969
04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Perhaps I should have clarified that, in my list of 10 things I would like to see, early enrollment's were one of the items I listed. Now of those four, say one was an early enrollment player and the other 3 were coming off of red-shirt years? That's what I'm getting at. And if some don't want it, it would still be nice for those of us who do, and I believe a lot do. If it could be simmed, fine, but for those that want to play it, having that option would be great.

Now as far as recruiting, I go back to what happened to me last year. I was recruiting a WR who had me like #9 on his list, and his Playing Time or Early Playing Time, whatever they call it, was A+. His top 8 schools the highest was a B-. Yet I didn't get to that pitch until week 9!!! I was like... seriously??? In real life I would be pitching that recruit to the kid a LOT.

"Do you want to go to :Texas: and red-shirt and then sit on the bench for two years because they have 11 studs already on the team? Or would you rather come here, start from day one and catch over a 100 passes next year?"

That's why I HATE, HATE, HATE the roulette wheel. Your best pitch which is also his Most doesn't show up until freaking late October/ early November! That just isn't right.

I also believe that your depth chart should not reflect a kid's playing time. If I have 13 WR's on my team, and the highest is a 3-star, and I'm recruiting a 5-star, that 5-star is going to start if he comes to my school. Yet in the game it will say something like D- for EPT. EPT should be up to US to decide, not the CPU and the depth chart.

But you just stated that you want the spring game to find out if a lower rated guy will out play a top prospect. Just because he is a 5*, doesn't mean he will start.(or shouldn't) If he is outplayed in spring, you would still start him? Some kids just do not like competition, and I think this is about the only way to reflect that.

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
I understand what you're saying about Playing Time, Dr. Death, I do.

I just think that spamming that pitch whenever you feel like it would give you an advantage and make recruiting too easy.

If it didn't make it easy, most guys would feel cheated. "I spammed PT and it was important to him and he signed with Texas anyway!!"

Now, the one way around this that I can see is to have the game show you that, while you spammed PT, Texas spammed the 5 pitches that they have a big advantage over you in. But, is that going to make anyone feel better about the system or the results?

morsdraconis
04-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I understand what you're saying about Playing Time, Dr. Death, I do.

I just think that spamming that pitch whenever you feel like it would give you an advantage and make recruiting too easy.

If it didn't make it easy, most guys would feel cheated. "I spammed PT and it was important to him and he signed with Texas anyway!!"

Now, the one way around this that I can see is to have the game show you that, while you spammed PT, Texas spammed the 5 pitches that they have a big advantage over you in. But, is that going to make anyone feel better about the system or the results?

The CPU needs to be smarter with recruiting instead of recruiting being harder for the user. It should absolutely be more difficult to recruit against USC and Notre Dame with Iowa State, but I shouldn't have to sit through some bullshit to do it with a randomly rolling list of shit where the CPU just arbitrarily decides that this kid, who has me in his top 3, is going to go somewhere else no matter how much time I pour into him compared to the CPU putting barely any time into them at all, all the while I constantly get screwed out of possible choices to talk about to this kid because I can't CHOOSE what to talk to them about.

All of that adds up into me just not giving a flying fuck about recruiting and automating what used to be my favorite part of NCAA football games.​

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 06:16 PM
The CPU needs to be smarter with recruiting instead of recruiting being harder for the user. It should absolutely be more difficult to recruit against USC and Notre Dame with Iowa State, but I shouldn't have to sit through some bullshit to do it with a randomly rolling list of shit where the CPU just arbitrarily decides that this kid, who has me in his top 3, is going to go somewhere else no matter how much time I pour into him compared to the CPU putting barely any time into them at all, all the while I constantly get screwed out of possible choices to talk about to this kid because I can't CHOOSE what to talk to them about.

All of that adds up into me just not giving a flying fuck about recruiting and automating what used to be my favorite part of NCAA football games.​

Maybe I'm able to justify it in my mind because I don't know how much time the CPU is using. I don't use any of the Dynasty Cheats or whatever they're called. Maybe ignorance is bliss. :P

Again, I understand wanting something better, and more fun. I just haven't heard anyone describe to me a system that would be fun, less tedious, not have anyone feeling screwed, and not make the User have a Top 3 class every year.

Until I feel secure that we'd get all of that, I'm content to have what we have. At least now, I don't have a Top Class every year.

WolverineJay
04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I completely agree with morsdraconis that recruiting in NCAA Football use to be my favorite part, but now even more than before it seems everything is pre-determined.

When I said I wanted to junk the slot-machine style of recruiting where the pitches are completely controlled by the CPU it was because it is hella frustrating, unrealistic, and annoying. I don't want the spamming system we had before but give me some control over the recruiting aspect.

I would love for the next recruiting class to be generated in the off-season rather than the pre-season thereby allowing a new interaction with recruits to take place in the off-season(again freeing up time in the off-season by completely removing off-season recruitng and adding those weeks back into the post-season(weeks 15-18). Heck you could even have a NSD(national signing day) show much like the selection show from NCAA backetball 10 where some of the top guys flip flop on their soft commitments. I think all commitments should be soft until NSD just have a meter showing how likely a player is to fulfill his commitment until NSD.

New off-season interaction : Allow all teams to send letters to the new recruits with 1 point of interest that your school will have highly rated. 50 letters max is allowed and this could even be simmed by those who don't want to delve that deep into recruiting. This would allow the USER to actually feel like he has some control of who the game intially says is interested in you. Sending out letters to get a feel for which players may or may not be interested in your school would be realistic and this system wouldn't be a guarantee that if I send a letter that automatically means I am in that 5* QB's top 10. That's not happening unless you are a powerhouse school, Local school for a kid that wants to be close to home, or coaching style is perfect fit for kid and that is his most. I am thinking for a 2* school your % of garnering interest from a 4 or 5* prospect is very very low, but maybe you catch the eye of a couple 3*'s that love your coaching style.

You could even add in a feedback system (more tedious I know) where the USER would receive feedback from the recruits letting you know why or why not that recruit has interest in your school. I think it isn't completely necessary and much simpler to keep what is in there now in terms of feedback from the recruit (Green Up Arrow = Increased interest), (Red Down Arrow = Decreased Interest), and (Sideways Arrows = No Change). Just show the feedback in the Pre-season when you build your board.

WolverineJay
04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I have advocated in the past, lol (recent past) since I first recruited with the new system in NCAA 11 that the slot machine randomness needs serious tweaking in order to be semi-realistic. Just increase the likelyhood of a coach's choice to 1/3 and add in a player's choice which also is 1/3, and finally the other 1/3 being random below average topics to prevent total spamming and allow for the poor phone call. 1 hour limits are good and should remain with a new or tweaked system in order to build a proper recruiting board.

If Recruiting was added as a rating which would be nice but not likely then the coach's choice might get up to 50% or 3/6 topics for the Saban's and Meyer's of the coaching world where the new guy at say Tulane would be getting coach's choice around 1/6 in an hour phone call. This would differentiate the small schools from the pwerhouses even more.

Dr Death
04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
But you just stated that you want the spring game to find out if a lower rated guy will out play a top prospect. Just because he is a 5*, doesn't mean he will start.(or shouldn't) If he is outplayed in spring, you would still start him? Some kids just do not like competition, and I think this is about the only way to reflect that.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my statement. What I was saying is that how the system is NOW I would tell that 5-star he's starting. Because now - or at least in the past several years - his rating is all we have to go by. I know I am in the minority, but I want the game as realistic as can be. If it were up to me there would not only be a Spring Game, but also Spring Practice. And Summer Practice.

Of course it could be simmed, but personally, I would love that. And that ties in w/ what Steelerfan said about Practice actually mattering. I keep going back to NFL2K5, but they had various things you could have your players work on each day and each "thing" was different for each position and there were multiple options for you to choose from.

Some people are the kind that get fired up and play better when a coach chews their ass. Mike Leach talks in his book about Michael Crabtree. :Texas_Tech: would be playing some mediocre school and Crabtree wouldn't be playing as well as Leach knew he could, so Leach would get in his face and say: "Are you going to let that cornerback kick your ass all day? Because that's exactly what he's doing out there."

Crabtree wouldn't say a word, but he'd go out on the next series and for the rest of the game he would go off. Before Leach talked to him he'd have 2 catches for 16 yards, after the talk, 13 for 206 yards and 3 TD's. Some guys get motivated that way. Other guys need positive reinforcement and a pat on the back. I'd love it in the new "Scouting" system if we could find out their personality traits and actually be able to communicate w/ them during a game. Right now we have to set Catch to conservative for them to focus on catching the ball. To me, that's ridiculous. In a pass-happy offense I shouldn't have to remind my guys that catching the ball is important.

However, if a kid drops a couple he should have easily caught, give me the option of pulling him aside and a list of things to choose from to say to him to hopefully get him back on his game.

Believe me... I know I am in the minority, but that realism is lacking in the NCAA series and I wish it were different. Same w/ recruiting. I used to love it, but now, w/ that roulette wheel, what's the point??? It seems every one of his Low items pop up every week, but the Very High and Most hardly ever pop up. And that just isn't real.

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I have advocated in the past, lol (recent past) since I first recruited with the new system in NCAA 11 that the slot machine randomness needs serious tweaking in order to be semi-realistic. Just increase the likelyhood of a coach's choice to 1/3 and add in a player's choice which also is 1/3, and finally the other 1/3 being random below average topics to prevent total spamming and allow for the poor phone call. 1 hour limits are good and should remain with a new or tweaked system in order to build a proper recruiting board.

If Recruiting was added as a rating which would be nice but not likely then the coach's choice might get up to 50% or 3/6 topics for the Saban's and Meyer's of the coaching world where the new guy at say Tulane would be getting coach's choice around 1/6 in an hour phone call. This would differentiate the small schools from the pwerhouses even more.i look at it that any pitch the coach doesnt pick, is the recruit's choice.

WolverineJay
04-24-2012, 07:27 PM
i look at it that any pitch the coach doesnt pick, is the recruit's choice.

That makes no sense at all. Why would a recruit bring up a pitch he has the least bit of interest in repeatedly.

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
how the hell am i supposed to know? if he didnt have any kind of interest in it at all, why is it even listed as a pitch option?

JeffHCross
04-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I worry about this one too. They added that in game tracker thing this year and I ended up always skipping past it. Usually by accident as I'm an impatient person who hits my "x" button too much.Heh. On this point, last year when I had the game early I did several CPU/CPU simulations where I just let the game run in the background (I was mainly doing it to see statistics). I ended up seeing a ton of wipes/cutscenes/etc that I never see in a normal game because I'm always :ps3x:'ing through them.

Am I reading these posts correctly??? People NOT wanting a Spring game??? Okay, let me explain why I want that in the game and I bet others will agree. I know I play differently than others do, but for me, if I recruit 4 WR's and all have different skill sets, it would allow me to see these guys in various positions and to see their strengths and weaknesses.I hear you, but ... how is that any different than Practice Mode? What makes the Spring Game different than Preseason or Week 1 Practice Mode? Practically nothing, unless you build an entire mechanic around it. On the PS2-generation NCAA games (there's your answer, Eric, though Steeler already got you), the mechanic was that the spring game determined your impact players for the following year. Neat gimmick ... if not a little game-breaking because now you have near total control over your impact players.

But let's think about this from an OD standpoint. Say you build that mechanic around the Spring Game. The offseason is already tedious enough for ODs, and one guy being unavailable to play his spring game could bring an already long offseason to a screeching halt. Unless you're okay with that guy getting his Spring Game simmed, which practically everyone is okay with until it's their Spring Game getting simmed.

Without a mechanic that gives some reward, the Spring Game is useless and is nothing more than a glorified Practice Mode. But, if you build a mechanic around it, then you're adding yet another task to offseasons which already take long enough (in my, and seemingly most OD player's, mind). So there's a balance there, and, to me, Spring Game doesn't add nearly enough.

That makes no sense at all. Why would a recruit bring up a pitch he has the least bit of interest in repeatedly.Because that'sthe only way any of us have been able to justify the fact that we're not in control of the pitches :D

Dr Death
04-24-2012, 08:43 PM
I hear you, but ... how is that any different than Practice Mode? What makes the Spring Game different than Preseason or Week 1 Practice Mode? Practically nothing, unless you build an entire mechanic around it. On the PS2-generation NCAA games (there's your answer, Eric, though Steeler already got you), the mechanic was that the spring game determined your impact players for the following year. Neat gimmick ... if not a little game-breaking because now you have near total control over your impact players.

But let's think about this from an OD standpoint. Say you build that mechanic around the Spring Game. The offseason is already tedious enough for ODs, and one guy being unavailable to play his spring game could bring an already long offseason to a screeching halt. Unless you're okay with that guy getting his Spring Game simmed, which practically everyone is okay with until it's their Spring Game getting simmed.

Without a mechanic that gives some reward, the Spring Game is useless and is nothing more than a glorified Practice Mode. But, if you build a mechanic around it, then you're adding yet another task to offseasons which already take long enough (in my, and seemingly most OD player's, mind). So there's a balance there, and, to me, Spring Game doesn't add nearly enough.

But practice mode does nothing right now. I mean, you can run plays and what-not, but from what I've read, what works in practice isn't the same as the game. That, I don't understand. Practice needs to matter. If I play a game and one guy drops 4 passes I can then spend time in practice w/ him but the way it is now, I could spend 2 hours a day for 6 days and it wouldn't make one bit of difference.

So that's what I am getting at. Spring Practice, Spring Game, Summer Practice and Practice during the season need to matter and/or be implemented. Of course, for those who don't want it, they can sim through it. I get your thoughts on OD, but what about the hundreds of thousands of us who play Off-Line Dynasty's???

JeffHCross
04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Practice during the season need to matter That I cannot disagree with.

Though, again, we have to balance something "mattering" versus time-spent and reward for players who sim/skip it. Because otherwise ODs quickly become games of who-can-spend-the-most-time-playing, and that's the death sentence for a lot of games now.

I'd rather see the ability to focus a player's in-season improvement (by saying what they're "focusing on" during "practice") than have it be influenced by the number of, for example, balls I throw their way during practice, or the number of carries they get in Practice Mode.

I get your thoughts on OD, but what about the hundreds of thousands of us who play Off-Line Dynasty's???I'm 99% certain that Online has penetrated to the point that we will not see any features developed on NCAA that are solely for Offline Dynasty. I just can't see that happening at this point. Unless it's something like Madden 12's changes to Free Agency (with the ticking clock and real-time signings) that simply could not be implemented in Online without major design changes. But with the amount of people who play Online Dynasty (which, I've been led to believe, is the majority of online-connected players), I don't see anything getting developed solely for Offline again.

jaymo76
04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
I have pretty much lost all hope for seeing REAL FCS TEAMS ... But... It sure would be a nice surprise.

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I have pretty much lost all hope for seeing REAL FCS TEAMS ... But... It sure would be a nice surprise.

Agreed.

psuexv
04-25-2012, 09:43 AM
This.

I'm sure there is a better system than we have now, but I'd rather have the current system that makes it tougher to land a top class, than ANY system that allows me to exploit my way to the top.

I realize that most guys here wouldn't want an "easy top class" type of system either, but I fear what we might get if we have too much control.

Think about it. If you could "spam" your best topics, and then didn't sign a guy, you'd feel cheated by the AI. If you always got the guy, you'd easily dominate everything.

I'm all ears when it comes to a new recruiting system, but don't want anything that gives me so much control that I can pick and choose who I get. If a new system gives me similar results to what I get now, why bother changing it? To make it "real" or "fun"? Seems like they could spend their time in a more productive way than giving me a new system that garners relatively similar results.

I guess what I'm saying is that, now, I can't sign whoever I want and I like it that way. Why overhaul it for "overhauling it's" sake if the results you're looking for are (relatively) already there? I just don't want to go back to the day when I could sign virtually anyone I wanted.

Yikes there is a lot to get caught up on since last night. I understand what you are saying :sf: and I'm not necessarily pulling for a complete overhaul, even though it would be nice. One of my main issues that I posted earlier is the "transitions" if you want to call them that in between different parts of the recruiting process that frustrate me. Watching the pitches cycle(yes I know I can hit A), the delays in loading up the actual recruiting board, the delays in going into a call/getting out of a call, etc. Yes I know it seems small and you are talking a couple of seconds here and there, but you make 15-20 calls in a recruiting week and that's a significant waste of my time :)

Now with the overhaul, yes once again I agree with you that the system is better now than it was before... in the sense that you can't land a top class all the time(kind of). But that's about it(and both systems have sucked). For me recruiting should have to take some thought and right now it doesn't. You still basically spam pitches if you can with changing topics or offering promises to get to a new pitch and you pitch the ones you are high at. If I'm a high ranking school, I can put zero thought into and still have a very good class, not #1 everytime but still really good.

For example - the Powerhouse OD here at TGT. I play with USC and I put zero time into recruiting after the first week when I've set up my board. I get through it as fast as I can and don't really pay much attention to it. I'm still pulling in top 10-15 classes and that's against 8 other users. Recruiting right now takes zero skill.

Yes, now I know most will say well EA can't make it too hard because of the casual gamer. Well that is where your recruiting difficulties come in.

I think the key to a new system is in the CPU's ability. In the old system, yes you could just sit there and spam pitches. But the CPU should do the same so the user doesn't have a competitive advantage. If I'm spamming playing time with a school like USC and Oklahoma has the same grade on early playing time and they sign him, no way should I feel cheated because I know that they should be hitting that recruit with the same pitch.

baseballplyrmvp
04-25-2012, 10:22 AM
In the old system, yes you could just sit there and spam pitches. But the CPU should do the same so the user doesn't have a competitive advantage. If I'm spamming playing time with a school like USC and Oklahoma has the same grade on early playing time and they sign him, no way should I feel cheated because I know that they should be hitting that recruit with the same pitch.most people wont make that connection though :P. i think that there are a lot of people out there with the kind of mindset that "if i cant win every game or sign every recruit i want, then the computer MUST be cheating me."

psuexv
04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
most people wont make that connection though :P. i think that there are a lot of people out there with the kind of mindset that "if i cant win every game or sign every recruit i want, then the computer MUST be cheating me."

Completely agree. And I think that is why you have the different levels of recruiting difficulty. Not necessarily that it's easier or harder for the user, but the CPU tries harder and more so mimics what a sim style user would do the higher the difficulty

JeffHCross
04-25-2012, 09:08 PM
For example - the Powerhouse OD here at TGT. I play with USC and I put zero time into recruiting after the first week when I've set up my board. I get through it as fast as I can and don't really pay much attention to it. I'm still pulling in top 10-15 classes and that's against 8 other users. Recruiting right now takes zero skill. That's 'cause you're USC! Has nothing to do with the system. Go play with my Aggies and try that.

more so mimics what a sim style user would do the higher the difficultyAn argument could easily be made that spamming Playing Time for 3 hours (which the old system allowed you to do and plenty of guys did, essentially) isn't remotely "sim" and is basically recruiting's version of cheese.

psuexv
04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
An argument could easily be made that spamming Playing Time for 3 hours (which the old system allowed you to do and plenty of guys did, essentially) isn't remotely "sim" and is basically recruiting's version of cheese.

I guess I wasn't necessarily talking about the old system. But 2 things about it. I define cheese as something that cheats the CPU, usually as the CPU isn't smart enough to stop it or recognize it. If the CPU is recruiting and hitting Early Playing Time for the same amount of time that I am, I don't consider that cheese.

Also if you are a real life coach Jeff, and the top WR in the country is interested in you and says "the most important thing to me is that I get on the field my Freshman year" and you have a weak receiving corp and plenty of room for him to play. What is the main thing you are going to talk to him about? If you have a 3 hour call/meeting with him, what is most of your time going to be spent on...... telling him where and how you are going to get him on the field and how much you are going to utilize him and what a star he is going to be..... is that cheese?

JeffHCross
04-27-2012, 07:45 PM
You're absolutely right I'm going to talk about that. But not for 3 hours, not about that one single subject.

I agree that you having control over what you talk about is key. But the mechanics of the old system allowed for things that weren't realistic. So what you're really talking about is mimicking what a user would do, with the constraints (or lack thereof) of the system. Not necessarily emulating what a "sim" user would do. It's an important distinction.

I think there's a middle ground that could be found, where the user has at least mostly control over what they talk about, but doesn't allow for pitch-spamming.

steelerfan
04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe a suitable middle ground would be to have the call half user topics and half player topics.

The player should bring up only his important topics while the user can bring up his. Ideally, the user would want them to align.

The problem with the old system was talking about whatever you wanted for as long as you wanted. Talking about any topic should be limited to 10 minutes. I mean, really, is anyone going to listen to a coach talk about Early Playing Time for an hour? No.

JeffHCross
04-27-2012, 08:20 PM
I mean, really, is anyone going to listen to a coach talk about Early Playing Time for an hour? No.If I can survive listening to talk about the Republican party for an hour, a recruit could listen to something he actually wants to hear for an hour. :D But you're right, overall. It's not something everyone would do. Especially if you were ONLY talking for an hour. You can only hear the same thing so many times, even if you really want to hear it.

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Maybe a suitable middle ground would be to have the call half user topics and half player topics.

The player should bring up only his important topics while the user can bring up his. Ideally, the user would want them to align.

The problem with the old system was talking about whatever you wanted for as long as you wanted. Talking about any topic should be limited to 10 minutes. I mean, really, is anyone going to listen to a coach talk about Early Playing Time for an hour? No.

If I can survive listening to talk about the Republican party for an hour, a recruit could listen to something he actually wants to hear for an hour. :D But you're right, overall. It's not something everyone would do. Especially if you were ONLY talking for an hour. You can only hear the same thing so many times, even if you really want to hear it.

So if I'm following this discussion right, basically take what we have now, a max of one hour per player, 10 minutes per topic, like we already have, have the player pick his three top items (most, very high and very high), regardless of whether you have a good grade in them or not), and then you get to pick your three top items like what we get now with coach's choice. And to keep people from trying to game the system, make it so each topic can only be selected once, either once regardless for the entire call, or once each by the user and by the player.

JeffHCross
04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Something along those lines, yeah.

The strange thing is, while I whine about the roulette system from time to time, I do enjoy the strategy of being "forced" to use re-rolls, negative recruiting, or promises from time to time.

So how about this. What would you guys think (and maybe this has already been talked about in other Recruiting threads, I can't remember) of keeping the roulette system, but weighing it so that a recruits Most/Very High/High/etc come up more often ... like they should? Maybe it could be similarly weighed with the schools A+/A/B+/B/etc. So a 60 minute call could look like this: A+/Most, B+/Low, C+/Very High, A/Very High, A/Least, B/High.

If the roulette system was more logical, and felt like it represented how a real call would go, would we be more accepting of it? I think so.

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I'd be more accepting of a system like that, one that is actually logical, or at least more logical than it currently is.

baseballplyrmvp
04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
imo, it should be random at first, but then once you start unlocking topics, thats where the "logical" part starts taking over, and the higher ranking pitches for the recruits start showing up more often.

JeffHCross
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Agreed.

psuexv
04-30-2012, 01:32 PM
I also like the idea of getting rid of the overall points goal to sign a recruit. Right now you have to hit like 5000 points and then he still might not commit, you need something to trigger that commitment.

I was actually thinking of a system where you have to hit certain point levels within different categories. Say academic prestige is his "Most" so you have to rack up 1000 points in that, but you also have to hit certain levels of points in his other high categories. I think the key is that you hide the recruits interest levels. Have a weekly report card on the recruit from what you've pitched him and those report cards are visible throughout the year so you can track what you've talked to him about and which pitches have raised your overall interest. This would accomplish two things - you would have to hit multiple topics and couldn't spam the really high ones and you would actually have to pay attention to a what you've pitched a recruit by actually looking at his recruitment process.

baseballplyrmvp
04-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I also like the idea of getting rid of the overall points goal to sign a recruit. Right now you have to hit like 5000 points and then he still might not commit, you need something to trigger that commitment.

I was actually thinking of a system where you have to hit certain point levels within different categories. Say academic prestige is his "Most" so you have to rack up 1000 points in that, but you also have to hit certain levels of points in his other high categories. I think the key is that you hide the recruits interest levels. Have a weekly report card on the recruit from what you've pitched him and those report cards are visible throughout the year so you can track what you've talked to him about and which pitches have raised your overall interest. This would accomplish two things - you would have to hit multiple topics and couldn't spam the really high ones and you would actually have to pay attention to a what you've pitched a recruit by actually looking at his recruitment process.i like the idea, but dont see it happening because of the "recruiting takes too long crowd."

psuexv
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
i like the idea, but dont see it happening because of the "recruiting takes too long crowd."

Yeah I've thought of that, and I'm kind of in that boat due to the user interface of the new system. I want to spend my time actually looking at the recruits instead of spending my time waiting for menus to load and then basically hitting a button to pitch them a topic that I kind of don't have a choice over. My plan would be to start the call - look at the report card - decide what I want to pitch to him - pick the amount of time that I want to use - based off of that time used, I select all of the topics that I want to pitch - hit the button and the call happens in the background and I get that weeks report card of how the pitches were received.

So if you were the casual gamer and just wanted to get through recruiting, you have it on the lowest recruiting difficulty the screen pops up of your progress, casually pick what you want and run the call.

psuexv
04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
One other change I would love to make is that I think Pipeline should be moved to a pitch that you can use instead of a generic bonus that you get just because that kid is in a pipeline state. OSU might have a pipeline to Florida but a kids Proximity to home is his Most and you would still get the pipeline bonus. That doesn't make any sense.

baseballplyrmvp
04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah I've thought of that, and I'm kind of in that boat due to the user interface of the new system. I want to spend my time actually looking at the recruits instead of spending my time waiting for menus to load and then basically hitting a button to pitch them a topic that I kind of don't have a choice over. My plan would be to start the call - look at the report card - decide what I want to pitch to him - pick the amount of time that I want to use - based off of that time used, I select all of the topics that I want to pitch - hit the button and the call happens in the background and I get that weeks report card of how the pitches were received. interesting thought. i kinda like this idea. you call the prospect, immediately select the pitches you want to pitch to him and for how long. and then it automatically sims the phone call. maybe, depending on the recruiting difficulty, it'd require you to perform a certain number of activities in the "quick call."

its basically a glorified quick call.

steelerfan
04-30-2012, 07:12 PM
One other change I would love to make is that I think Pipeline should be moved to a pitch that you can use instead of a generic bonus that you get just because that kid is in a pipeline state. OSU might have a pipeline to Florida but a kids Proximity to home is his Most and you would still get the pipeline bonus. That doesn't make any sense.

I don't know about that. That's like saying that a kid who has Championship Contender as his Most would never go to Penn State since they are 25 years removed from one. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure I would make a change based on that example.

If other kids from his region are going to a school that should account for something, even if he would rather stay home (he may not stick to his guns and the Pipeline is one way to sway him to go out-of-state).

psuexv
04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't know about that. That's like saying that a kid who has Championship Contender as his Most would never go to Penn State since they are 25 years removed from one. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure I would make a change based on that example.

If other kids from his region are going to a school that should account for something, even if he would rather stay home (he may not stick to his guns and the Pipeline is one way to sway him to go out-of-state).

That's kind of my point exactly. If his proximity to home is high and my pipeline is to that I region I should still have to sway him as he wants to stay close to home. As it stands now you get an automatic bonus for having a pipeline. There is no work involved.

steelerfan
05-01-2012, 01:21 AM
That's kind of my point exactly. If his proximity to home is high and my pipeline is to that I region I should still have to sway him as he wants to stay close to home. As it stands now you get an automatic bonus for having a pipeline. There is no work involved.

Hmm. Idk. Maybe they could vary the "Pipeline Effect" based on his thoughts, but I don't want it as a full fledged pitch. I get what you're saying.

psuexv
05-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Hmm. Idk. Maybe they could vary the "Pipeline Effect" based on his thoughts, but I don't want it as a full fledged pitch. I get what you're saying.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. To me Pipelines in it's current state is too generic and really doesn't replicate real life whatsoever.

its basically a glorified quick call.

In a basic sense yes. You would do all of your research on the recruit in your pre-call and actually get to pick which topics you want to pitch. It basically just eliminates having to select different pitches independently during the call.

steelerfan
05-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

No.

psuexv
05-01-2012, 01:34 PM
No.

Cool, glad you agree with me :)

JeffHCross
05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
OSU might have a pipeline to Florida but a kids Proximity to home is his Most and you would still get the pipeline bonus. That doesn't make any sense.Most should count for more, or the Pipeline shouldn't be enough to make up the difference. As it stands now, the Pipeline gives a +25% bonus for any recruit. Even having a Most as a D can't offset that, I don't believe (since it comes up so rarely).

JeffHCross
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
So if I'm following this discussion right, basically take what we have now, a max of one hour per player, 10 minutes per topic, like we already have, have the player pick his three top items (most, very high and very high), regardless of whether you have a good grade in them or not), and then you get to pick your three top items like what we get now with coach's choice. And to keep people from trying to game the system, make it so each topic can only be selected once, either once regardless for the entire call, or once each by the user and by the player.So, turns out we were actually being too conservative. Instead of only picking three items, we get to pick them all! Lol. :D

SmoothPancakes
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
So, turns out we were actually being too conservative. Instead of only picking three items, we get to pick them all! Lol. :D

:D Yep. I didn't think they would take it that far, but from what it looked like and sounded like in the webcast, it still appears that it will be difficult to game the system. It's pretty interesting taking what we know as fact now and looking back at all of our ideas and opinions, see who had the similar ideas and were close or spot on to what was actually done.