PDA

View Full Version : Movie Channels Blocking HDMI - DirecTV Error Code 900?

CLW
04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
So in the past few days our DirecTV movie channels have been giving us an error 900 message saying our TV doesn't support the encryption required for an HDMI signal. This is ONLY happening on our movie channels.

Our t.v. is "brand new" (2011 Samsung)

So I called DirecTV and they said it was the movie channels (HBO, etc...) were blocking our setup due to piracy concerns. We aren't stealing t.v.

Our apartment shares a dish and Direct TV is the ONLY cable provider we can get so we have to plug in an ethernet cord into the wall and then we have an HDMI cord going from our DirecTV HDDVR directly to the t.v. (no splitter). We also have our Wii plugged in via the only component connection our t.v. has (it has 5 HDMIs and 1 component input)

Guy told me that we would need to buy component cables to fix the problem (I also brought up that I could just cancel my movie package b/c I didn't want to move/lose my wii to which he tried to talk me out of).

(1) If I switch to component cables will I loose picture quality? I seem to recall that HDMI gives the best picture quality (i.e. 1080p)

(2) If yes to #1 are any of you techies away around this issue?

As always any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

JeffHCross
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Check today's Ars Technica article about this: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/copy-protection-means-some-directv-subs-will-need-new-gear-to-watch-hbo.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Regarding your questions, HDMI is 1080p. Component can carry up to 1080p, though sometimes it is limited to 720p. Even with that limitation, however, the difference between 1080p and 720p is invisible to the human eye from a distance further than 4 feet (according to research I've read ... to my eyes it's a lot further than that :D).

CLW
04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Check today's Ars Technica article about this: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/copy-protection-means-some-directv-subs-will-need-new-gear-to-watch-hbo.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Regarding your questions, HDMI is 1080p. Component can carry up to 1080p, though sometimes it is limited to 720p. Even with that limitation, however, the difference between 1080p and 720p is invisible to the human eye from a distance further than 4 feet (according to research I've read ... to my eyes it's a lot further than that :D).

:smh: WTF! My t.v. only has one component cable and doesn't 3D t.v. (Not that i use it) require HDMI?

EDIT: these articles seem to suggest that Component is limited to 540P???

CLW
04-18-2012, 10:10 PM
:smh:

Update: Contacted Samsung and they swore up and down that my $1600 t.v. (PN59D7000) which is their 2nd best t.v. from 2011 was HDCP compliant and I need to contact DirecTV. I contact DirecTV and they indicate my t.v. must be too old/not HDCP compliant and that I must use component cables.

Going to try tomorrow to see if I can talk to an actual adult and if the issue cannot be resolved cancelling the movie package at a minimum.

Seems dumb to me that HBO et al. are trying to protect their programming by forcing me to use a feed that is easier to steal than what I want/have been using for 6 months. :fp:

JeffHCross
04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
EDIT: these articles seem to suggest that Component is limited to 540P???I saw that too, but I have no clue why. I've definitely used component in 720p, at least, if not 1080p.

doesn't 3D t.v. (Not that i use it) require HDMI?The problem isn't HDMI. It's HDMI without HDCP. Though, honestly, I wasn't even aware that HDMI was possible WITHOUT HDCP until now.

Seems dumb to me that HBO et al. are trying to protect their programming by forcing me to use a feed that is easier to steal than what I want/have been using for 6 months. :fp:Well, I think in HBO's mind they'd want you to use HDMI with HDCP. Component is NOT what HBO would want, I'd imagine. I also imagine that this isn't coming from HBO themselves, but is probably coming from the MPAA or some other DRM-loving group.

CLW
04-20-2012, 07:12 AM
I saw that too, but I have no clue why. I've definitely used component in 720p, at least, if not 1080p.

The problem isn't HDMI. It's HDMI without HDCP. Though, honestly, I wasn't even aware that HDMI was possible WITHOUT HDCP until now.

Well, I think in HBO's mind they'd want you to use HDMI with HDCP. Component is NOT what HBO would want, I'd imagine. I also imagine that this isn't coming from HBO themselves, but is probably coming from the MPAA or some other DRM-loving group.

FYI - update I contacted Samsung (my t.v. manufacturer) my t.v. is less than a year old (2011 model) and it is HDCP compliant (all Samsung t.v.s with HDMI are according to Samsung)

I followed up with Directv. They are either playing dumb or their customer service reps have no clue what is going on. Talked to a woman last night and she is shipping me a new HD DVR. Not really sure if that will work but if not cancelling my movie package.

oweb26
11-15-2012, 05:45 AM
huh? I think his post isnt suppose to be here.

psusnoop
11-15-2012, 06:50 AM
huh? I think his post isnt suppose to be here.

Spam, I reported it.

oweb26
11-15-2012, 09:53 AM
As did I! We are such an alert bunch. :)

CLW
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
LMAO I was like WTF is my thread doing back up here.

FYI - the problem was that my apartment community used one dish for the entire complex (only t.v. option was direct tv) and apparently the movie channels detected that as me trying to steal their programming. I'm with AT&T now and have ZERO issues.

souljahbill
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
LMAO I was like WTF is my thread doing back up here.

FYI - the problem was that my apartment community used one dish for the entire complex (only t.v. option was direct tv) and apparently the movie channels detected that as me trying to steal their programming. I'm with AT&T now and have ZERO issues.

U-Verse? I fucking LOVE U-Verse!

CLW
11-16-2012, 08:57 AM
U-Verse? I fucking LOVE U-Verse!

Yep it was either that or Comcast and we chose U-Verse for the wireless receiver b/c we didn't like how our current apartment had the cable spots set up. Now we can move the t.v. anywhere we want as long as we can reach a power outlet.

souljahbill
11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Yep it was either that or Comcast and we chose U-Verse for the wireless receiver b/c we didn't like how our current apartment had the cable spots set up. Now we can move the t.v. anywhere we want as long as we can reach a power outlet.

You're going to love U-Verse. Best television service I've ever had.

JeffHCross
11-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I miss my FiOS :(