PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 - Thoughts & Impressions

JBHuskers
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I have knocked out a couple of rounds so far, created a Live Tournament in our Country Club, and gotten through the Toddler stage of Tiger Legacy.

I'm definitely not golfing like a champ right now :D the Live Tournament I created was hard swing difficulty, no spin, putt preview enabled, and shot a +1. Putting is my toughest thing right now as the majority of my putts are fast tempo and overswinging.

The old filter for the 70's portion of the Tiger Legacy Challenge is really sweet.

There is going to be so much to do with this game this year, it's insane.

JBHuskers
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Play a few games with HANDSWARD last night, all on strictly amateur (spin, putt preview), but no caddy. I averaged around a -10 after golfing three rounds. The difficulty has definitely been ramped up. After playing a few rounds, I have amassed just under 4000 coins. Not bad for just playing a portion of two nights.

natcret
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Play a few games with HANDSWARD last night, all on strictly amateur (spin, putt preview), but no caddy. I averaged around a -10 after golfing three rounds. The difficulty has definitely been ramped up. After playing a few rounds, I have amassed just under 4000 coins. Not bad for just playing a portion of two nights.

Two nights and 4000 coins.... makes me feel better.

gschwendt
03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
I've hit my first hole in one for 13... #12 at Augusta. Tour Pro, no caddy, no pins.

Btw, I'm averaging around 600 or so coins per round.

JBHuskers
03-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Btw, I'm averaging around 600 or so coins per round.

Plus if you play four straight days, that's another 1000 coins.

And the more people that sign up in our Country Club and play, the more of a coin multiplier we'll get too.

psusnoop
03-24-2012, 07:19 AM
First thought and impressions from me are, a huge plus from 12. I've only playing roughly 36 holes or so but I'm really enjoying it.

You really have to find your tempo in 13. I still haven't gotten it but I'm feeling more and more comfortable with each hole.

SmoothPancakes
03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
TW13 is available for download with the EA Sports Season Ticket. I started it downloading overnight when I left for work, I'll give the whole game a try this weekend.

Definitely will not be pre-ordering it, partly because I don't have the spare money to put towards new games right now, also because I'm just not personally comfortable with the new systems and changes to put down the money and jump from 12 (which I'm only in season 3 of the career so far, so still lots of playing to be done in 12) and upgrade to 13. But it'll give me a chance to see what the full game is like to maybe I'll considering picking it up sometime down the road later in the year.

psusnoop
03-25-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm about 8 or so rounds in.

First initial reactions were that wow, very fun and felt very fun! Those thoughts are still there.

Just a couple of things, the chipping takes just a little bit to get used to. Same as putting, tempo is very important.

I think driving the ball is really easy and not that difficult to avoid trouble. One other thing the current setup we are considering for TGA I worry after a few weeks we could be firing some low scores. The approaches are rather easy at times and doesn't really require a ton of thought. The differences will be on the green and around it. Those who can chip/putt will do very well.

I've found to not rush and really concentrate on my putts is the key. Occasionally though I still miss a short one but I feel pretty good where I'm at this early on with the game.

Also just a note to those struggling to read putts maybe turn on the putt preview for a few rounds. It will help you judge the break a little better heading forward.

CLW
03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
I downloaded the game and its pretty fun. I started completely from "zero" with my new golfer and it has been challenging. Did the rest of you import your old TW 12 XP?

gschwendt
03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I downloaded the game and its pretty fun. I started completely from "zero" with my new golfer and it has been challenging. Did the rest of you import your old TW 12 XP?

I did. You don't get the same amount of xp you had in 12. I think I got 7500 or something like that.

psusnoop
03-25-2012, 03:43 PM

I imported mine and got 75,000. I know JB did the same and got 75,000. :sf: imported and got 50,000 just as an example.

CLW
03-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Well shizzle looks like my golfer is going to be 75K behind to start. I have already started my new guy and I'm not even sure if I have my TW 12 save file any more.

I've noticed on SEVERAL occasions now that if you hit a shot and it BOUNCES into a sand trap when you go to your next shot it is ALWAYS in the rough next to the trap and not in the actual trap. Not sure if that is patchable or not but it has happened to me now on several occasions.

jaymo76
03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I used my season pass to DL this game last night. I have NEVER played a Tiger Woods game before so my observations probably mean little. But my first reaction... WOW! The graphics are absolutely phenomenal. When you do a fly over and are standing 10-15 feet away from your TV, it looks real! The amount of course and downloadable courses are very impressive. As for the gameplay... I can't really say other than I am absolutely awful at this game.:D I look forward to playing a few rounds tonight.

psusnoop
03-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Good win for Tiger with release just two days away. Can't hurt that's for sure haha.

Jaymo, keep playing as you do you'll most likely really find yourself enjoying it more and more!

JBHuskers
03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah...I bet that will help boost some sales for sure.

bdoughty
03-26-2012, 04:06 AM
I have done a complete 360 with this game and simply love it to death. I bought that EA Season Pass which I promised I would not buy. It is actually worth it so far since I am getting to play it early and with the pass you get a more advanced set of clubs so you are not driving it 225 yards with your new character. Putting has actually grown on me. It helps playing on normal but I am trying to build up my character pretty quickly so I can get into The Tour mode. Love the difficulty added in hitting draw/fades and chipping around the green feels more enjoyable.

What I am really loving is the Tiger Legacy. I think it is a great idea and will be the first time in years I have actually played one of these modes. I finished the first batch and have no clue who is programming the difficulty but in the first match play where you are 8 and have to beat a 10 year old (reminds me of Scott Tennerman from SP). That kid is a monster. I have had my butt handed to me three times already. Does the CPU not flub it a few times a round anymore? The guy hit the sand a missed a fairway a few times but was deadly on the green. At most there were 2 occasions where there looked to be minor flubs but nothing like the ones I remember from the past. I kinda like the difficulty but this early on makes me fear future match play events.

Handsward, if you are reading this give some serious props to the guys in the graphics department. Everything looks so much better in this game over previous editions. The lighting is beautiful and the transitions from morning/afternoon/dusk are better than ever. Even the texture work on the grass is very noticeable. Only complaint is the lack of camera options. You guy have made a beautiful game, let us see it from different views.

Golf clap is much deserved TW dev team.

psusnoop
03-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Well I qualified for the Masters and now if I can get a win I'll win my tour card (probably not going to happen) or I can place in the top 25 and get an exemption card.

I'm playing on Tour Pro difficulty currently.

skipwondah33
03-26-2012, 07:49 AM
I've played a few times now and definitely loving the game..which I've been a fan of the series from start anyway. The Demo only gives you a teaser but once I downloaded the full version was able to get more in depth with it.

About to win the Amatuer Championship with my player playing solid. I really am enjoying not playing with the caddie like it use to be. Love having the "focus" taken away as well.

Set it to Tour Pro but it goes to Custom when I turn off Swing Meter and Caddie. I think it is easier for me without the meter honestly because then the putt hinges of "feel" sort of speak. I can remember past versions before they put in the putt meter this is how you had to putt. I know I struggled badly when the meter was put in and you couldn't turn it off. Once you could turn it off I felt normal putting again.

JBHuskers
03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah it's so easy to bash Season Pass, but nearly a year into it, I've seen quite a few people use it.

Sorry Skip, the swing meter is staying on for league :D

Right now I'm playing Tour Pro settings except the swing difficulty is normal instead of hard (as that will be the set up for league play).

Played a couple rounds with Tommy last night on league settings at Augusta and Valhalla and I think I shot a -2 on both.

SmoothPancakes
03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
The 3-day thing has been alright. Putting isn't quite as bad as it was in the demo, though I'm still not a fan of it. Swing is still almost guaranteed. It's nearly impossible not to hit a perfect or at least great swing. Still, TW13 probably won't be something I look at buying until at least the fall. I still have 3-4 season of career in TW12, plus some of the other stuff to wrap up some achievements, so 12 will keep me occupied for a while. Maybe sometime down the road after the price drops $20 or more.

skipwondah33
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah it's so easy to bash Season Pass, but nearly a year into it, I've seen quite a few people use it.

Sorry Skip, the swing meter is staying on for league :D

Right now I'm playing Tour Pro settings except the swing difficulty is normal instead of hard (as that will be the set up for league play).

Played a couple rounds with Tommy last night on league settings at Augusta and Valhalla and I think I shot a -2 on both.

Damn..hope there is a way I can turn it off for my settings because it gets in the way of my shot...plus it tells you how far to swing back..which shit may as well have a percentage meter to tell you how much power. I like having the thrill of guessing how far to bring the club back.

I have the swing difficulty to Hard and though I don't get "Perfect" feedback every swing the ball is still going where I wanted to go or relatively close. It all depends on the club or your aim point.

Note this is all with my created golfer who doesn't have ratings about 50 yet.

JBHuskers
03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Damn..hope there is a way I can turn it off for my settings because it gets in the way of my shot...plus it tells you how far to swing back..which shit may as well have a percentage meter to tell you how much power. I like having the thrill of guessing how far to bring the club back.

I have the swing difficulty to Hard and though I don't get "Perfect" feedback every swing the ball is still going where I wanted to go or relatively close. It all depends on the club or your aim point.

Note this is all with my created golfer who doesn't have ratings about 50 yet.

Swing Meter is an option that is in the match setup, so it will be the same for everyone.

skipwondah33
03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Swing Meter is an option that is in the match setup, so it will be the same for everyone.Well shit

Talk to someone about a patch for that lol. In '11 or '10 I know that you could turn off the putt meter as a Setting instead of it being a match-setting.

You would be surprised how having a visual aide can actually hurt you. You get in the habit of thinking "oh just swing back to this spot and everything will be perfect".

CLW
03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Well shizzle looks like my golfer is going to be 75K behind to start. I have already started my new guy and I'm not even sure if I have my TW 12 save file any more.

I've noticed on SEVERAL occasions now that if you hit a shot and it BOUNCES into a sand trap when you go to your next shot it is ALWAYS in the rough next to the trap and not in the actual trap. Not sure if that is patchable or not but it has happened to me now on several occasions.

Anyone else noticed this? It happened to me again a couple of times last night but its definitely not every time as a few times my next shot was from the trap.

JBHuskers
03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Anyone else noticed this? It happened to me again a couple of times last night but its definitely not every time as a few times my next shot was from the trap.

Yeah, it's a bug.

skipwondah33
03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I did. You don't get the same amount of xp you had in 12. I think I got 7500 or something like that.I must have missed the import part because I didn't know you could lol

JBHuskers
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I must have missed the import part because I didn't know you could lol

Yeah when you're typing in your name and etc. Down below on the legend it says to hit :ps3tri: to import Tiger 12 XP

CLW
03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Grrr this crap is getting old with "Unable to connect to the EA servers at this time. Please check your network connection or try again later." message. the problem is compounded by the fact that season ticket requires you to be signed on to the EA servers to play the downloaded game. Maybe I wasted $25 bucks after all.

gschwendt
03-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Giving that to you now? I'm connected just fine. Actually I don't believe I've seen that message, though I'm on the retail version.

CLW
03-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Giving that to you now? I'm connected just fine. Actually I don't believe I've seen that message, though I'm on the retail version.

Yep trying to log in now and keep getting the message then teases me says I'm connecting to the servers then it says I lost my PSN connection. :smh: beginning to wonder if its something wrong with my PS3 or my ISP (which I have no choice about since it is supplied by the apartment complex i live in)

gschwendt
03-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't think it's something on EA's end if you're getting booted out of PSN.

CLW
03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't think it's something on EA's end if you're getting booted out of PSN.

And magically for no reason (other than I just kept trying/resetting the PS3) I'm on. WTF?

steelerfan
03-26-2012, 09:44 PM
And magically for no reason (other than I just kept trying/resetting the PS3) I'm on. WTF?

Is Comcast your ISP? I had the same problem today with FIFA, except I was never disconnected from the PSN. I just kept being told the EA severs were unavailable. It's about the 3rd time I've run into it in the last month or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

CLW
03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Is Comcast your ISP? I had the same problem today with FIFA, except I was never disconnected from the PSN. I just kept being told the EA severs were unavailable. It's about the 3rd time I've run into it in the last month or so.

I don't think so b/c the t.v. my apartment provides is DirecTV so I assume the net is from them too but I have no clue. I just plugged an ethernet cord into the wall for my router and it worked/works

psusnoop
03-27-2012, 06:49 AM
CLW I was playing the weekly Pebble Beach tourney and I got booted from PSN on hole 1 second shot. I reconnected and finished my round just fine but at the end it said to reconnect to EA servers press "X" so I did but it locked up my PSN and I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to replay round 1 of the weekly :smh:

CLW
03-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Well maybe its not just me then. I've been having Steelerfan's issues with EA games for a few weeks now. It is sporadic and I cannot figure out what is causing the issue and how to fix it.

psusnoop
03-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah I was baffled last night because I just finished a user game against gschwendt in NCAA (of all games that didn't have a problem :D) and boom play Tiger Early Access and it's fighting me.

JBHuskers
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
This is a very poor review. This guy focuses on DLC which he thinks is impossible to unlock, and making Tiger jokes. Surprised this guy has a job reviewing games.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1221576p1.html

JBHuskers
03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
We are opening up membership to the Tailgate Golf CC. We are currently at 10 members, and would love to get to 25. Here's how you sign up:

HOW TO SIGNUP FOR THE GAMING TAILGATE COUNTRY CLUB (PS3 & 360):

http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/country-clubs

Name - Tailgate Golf CC

Password - tga13

skipwondah33
03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah when you're typing in your name and etc. Down below on the legend it says to hit :ps3tri: to import Tiger 12 XPWell shit..its probably too late for that now

bdoughty
03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
This is a very poor review. This guy focuses on DLC which he thinks is impossible to unlock, and making Tiger jokes. Surprised this guy has a job reviewing games.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1221576p1.html

Yeah I saw that earlier and he seemed really angry. IGn has been throwing out some really low scores lately.

Plenty of positive reviews out there.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/tiger-woods-pga-tour-13/critic-reviews

natcret
03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Picked up my copy this afternoon for the 360. Will be picking up the PS3 version in a couple of weeks.

skipwondah33
03-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Cannot stand swing meter...that is all

Kingpin32
03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I keep over swinging.

psusnoop
03-28-2012, 07:03 AM
I keep over swinging.

To be honest I'm probably around 90% Slow/Overswing on all my shots except around the green. I've gotten used to playing that style now and it seems to be working well for me.

Something to think about kingpin, heading forward.

gschwendt
03-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah... overswing doesn't hurt your shot unless you shank it. Essentially it's a power-boost. However, obviously if your approach shot is aimed at the flag and you overswing, you're then shooting past your target. I intentionally overswing on all of my drives but generally my approaches I try to hit the mark.

steelerfan
03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
I had to quickly learn to aim short of the stick when chipping while playing the Early Release because nearly every shot I took was an overswing/fast. Eventually, I started aiming short on all approaches.

Kingpin32
03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
I think I'm gonna try to use the right analog stick. But I'll keep practicing this swing. Thanks guys.

psuexv
03-29-2012, 09:06 AM
I think I'm gonna try to use the right analog stick. But I'll keep practicing this swing. Thanks guys.

Yeah I need to switch mine too. I used the right last year and swinging left handed it's smoother.

cdj
05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
"In honor of Rickie Fowler’s first PGA TOUR victory, we’re giving everyone who signs in today a FREE Special Edition Rickie Fowler Pin Pack! Get 3 Rickie Pins, 3 Toddler Rickie Pins, and a few other boosts to take your game to the next level!"

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/576587_10150843544774672_67899739671_9480500_71908 3354_n.jpg

psusnoop
05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice, gotta sign in today :up:

JBHuskers
05-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Nice, gotta sign in today :up:

Actually you had to play yesterday to get it today.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

psusnoop
05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Actually you had to play yesterday to get it today.

Well shit :D

JDFlakes
05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
What's in your bag? I saw on the TW forum a thread on what clubs players have in their bag. Many like using the hybrid clubs... I started with a couple of them but went back to 3W and 5W.... now I am thinking because of their soft landing on the green to put at least one in my bag. Would love to hear your thoughts, etc. Rustee :nod:

JBHuskers
05-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Never have used a 5W with my golfer yet, but I put away the 3W and am using a 2H and 3H currently. My highest iron is a 4I.

psusnoop
05-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Careful Rusty asking what is in JB's bag :smh: You just may not like what you hear

SCClassof93
05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Careful Rusty asking what is in JB's bag :smh: You just may not like what you hear

Nice red pants jb :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKcY75LIkRw

JBHuskers
05-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Fore? I shoulda yelled two!

JDFlakes
05-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I gotta get me sum RED pants !!!!

psusnoop
05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
:D

JDFlakes
05-08-2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.happysocks.com/client/happysocks/dynamic/images/487_9c563e4635-thumb.jpg To go with my red pants