PDA

View Full Version : TGT Official Q&A with a Dev

HANDSWARD
03-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey everyone,

For those of you that don't know me, I am Justin Patel, and I am a designer on the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR series. Since I am a member here and appreciate the site, I wanted to give back by answering any questions you have about the game. The demo is out now so I am sure you all will get a chance to give it a try at some point. Also, many features have been released and I can answer as much as I know about any of them. There are still a few more details to come in the next few weeks, so I can't talk about everything. But I will answer as much as I can.

So post your questions and I will check in here periodically and answer.

gschwendt
03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
How difficult will it be to unlock courses for unlimited play? Will it be feasible to unlock all courses through play only?

JBHuskers
03-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks for doing this Hands!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SmoothPancakes
03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
It's already been confirmed by JB that the old swing system has been completely removed from the game, but is there anyway that the old systems (both swinging and putting) could be patched back in or something? As already noted in the demo thread, the putting system right now is a major hangup for me on whether I preorder this game or whether I wait until sometime a ways down the road. If the old putting system at least is patchable back in, this would go right back up to a guaranteed preorder for me.

HANDSWARD
03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
How difficult will it be to unlock courses for unlimited play? Will it be feasible to unlock all courses through play only?

It does take time. If you are going to play the game a lot then you will eventually get them. It works a little different on 360 from ps3. On ps3 you can buy the courses outright with the coins if you want. You don't have to do the mastery option. The mastery option just gives you the ability to play the course sooner. And you can still unlock it that route.

My recommendation, get the collector's edition. $10 for 6 extra courses. Use the courses you got for a while in your career and just start to build up coins. Then when you have enough, snag a course on ps3, or buy the 2 round packs you need and start playing it. It takes 6 rounds at the course to actually unlock it through mastery. If you don't play well it can take longer. But the objectives are fairly simple, with the longest one being 100 Pars or better. If you keep playing the game all year you will probably have all the courses at some point.

You can always just buy them too. We have a large bundle that is well priced as usual. I can't state specific pricing at all but it is comparable to the past. And you can even earn a bit of a discount by earning some coins before you make that kind of purchase.

HANDSWARD
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
It's already been confirmed by JB that the old swing system has been completely removed from the game, but is there anyway that the old systems (both swinging and putting) could be patched back in or something? As already noted in the demo thread, the putting system right now is a major hangup for me on whether I preorder this game or whether I wait until sometime a ways down the road. If the old putting system at least is patchable back in, this would go right back up to a guaranteed preorder for me.

The old system is not patchable. There was a lot involved with this change, more than just the mechanic, but also the physics under the hood. Those old swing systems were fossils and could never be hooked back into the new systems via a patch.

Honestly IMO, that mechanic was made in about 1998. It's 2012. It was time for a change. I understand your skepticism, but look at another title that changed mechanics, NHL. The community complained a ton for the first few weeks. Now, those mechanics are the greatest thing to ever happen to the game. When something like the core controller mechanic of a game is changed there is always going to be a learning curve. Your brain has played the game one way for a while and you are still trying to play that way. Once you learn the new way you have to play, it will feel more natural and your opinion will change.

HANDSWARD
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for doing this Hands!

No problem bud!

SmoothPancakes
03-06-2012, 10:35 PM
The old system is not patchable. There was a lot involved with this change, more than just the mechanic, but also the physics under the hood. Those old swing systems were fossils and could never be hooked back into the new systems via a patch.

Honestly IMO, that mechanic was made in about 1998. It's 2012. It was time for a change. I understand your skepticism, but look at another title that changed mechanics, NHL. The community complained a ton for the first few weeks. Now, those mechanics are the greatest thing to ever happen to the game. When something like the core controller mechanic of a game is changed there is always going to be a learning curve. Your brain has played the game one way for a while and you are still trying to play that way. Once you learn the new way you have to play, it will feel more natural and your opinion will change.

Alright, I appreciate the answer. I'll keep working at it in the demo and see if I can get used to it. Hopefully I do, as I have enjoyed playing the TW series, and have been looking forward to TW13. Still not sure if it'll end up being a preorder as I play the game to have fun and have a good time, and I was getting nothing but frustrated with the putting system while playing earlier this evening, but hopefully I can get used to it enough that I won't have a problem putting down the money for the game and then having fun with it.

steelerfan
03-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Will this title be released early as part of Season Ticket?

Either way, will the 20% discount for guys with Season Ticket apply to courses and such on TW13?

Also, thanks for taking the time to do this and for being an active part of our community at TGT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Will this title be released early as part of Season Ticket?

Either way, will the 20% discount for guys with Season Ticket apply to courses and such on TW13?

Also, thanks for taking the time to do this and for being an active part of our community at TGT.

Those are a yes. I know Tiger is involved with Season Pass.

steelerfan
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Those are a yes. I know Tiger is involved with Season Pass.

Who asked you? :P

Thanks though.

bdoughty
03-07-2012, 04:00 AM
HANDS,

Please take this with a grain of salt but after seeing your "math comment" over on the official forums, I am starting to see why Phil wants nothing to do with the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMk2pXb394

If you guys continue to dumb down the game, you might as well call it Darts. Sorry but it is really hard to digest the tempo, tempo, tempo, mantra. Far more to golf than just is tempo. I can have a perfect tempo in real life on every swing but if I can't judge distances, what good does that do?

What concerns me most is the removal of green speeds, which is a big part of golf and especially at a course like the Masters, where green speeds and large breaks make the Masters what it is. You guys just eliminate it. Then you go another step and have the club and distance selected for you. To top it off you do this when a player is in the rough or sand, etc by selecting a proper club for the situation.

Oh I know, you gotta have them stick kills and good tempo. Still, that is not exactly the golf I grew up with and watch on the TV. I know you have to cater to the mentally lazy and kids who just want to hit holes in ones on ever par four but there is still a few of us left who actually want a game that simulates the game we go out and play. I am not trying to be a prick but after the caddy fiasco of 12, you would think a bone or two would be thrown to players who want to play actual golf. Honestly I am considering cancelling my pre-order, buying a Vita and the new Hot Shots game. At least the guys at Clap Hanz realize that "math and such" are still part of the game.

So the main question is, will there be an option to play on Tourney Mode without the preselected clubs and removal of the clubs yardage, etc, in the retail copy?

JBHuskers
03-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Who asked you? :P

Thanks though.

It was common knowledge when the Season Pass was announced :P

JDFlakes
03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Hands (thanks for all of your input),

I am assuming the only way to collect coins is through the career mode and not just a "Play Now" game. Is that correct?

All the best,
Rustee_Irons

HANDSWARD
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
HANDS,

Please take this with a grain of salt but after seeing your "math comment" over on the official forums, I am starting to see why Phil wants nothing to do with the game.

If you guys continue to dumb down the game, you might as well call it Darts. Sorry but it is really hard to digest the tempo, tempo, tempo, mantra. Far more to golf than just is tempo. I can have a perfect tempo in real life on every swing but if I can't judge distances, what good does that do?

What concerns me most is the removal of green speeds, which is a big part of golf and especially at a course like the Masters, where green speeds and large breaks make the Masters what it is. You guys just eliminate it. Then you go another step and have the club and distance selected for you. To top it off you do this when a player is in the rough or sand, etc by selecting a proper club for the situation.

Oh I know, you gotta have them stick kills and good tempo. Still, that is not exactly the golf I grew up with and watch on the TV. I know you have to cater to the mentally lazy and kids who just want to hit holes in ones on ever par four but there is still a few of us left who actually want a game that simulates the game we go out and play. I am not trying to be a prick but after the caddy fiasco of 12, you would think a bone or two would be thrown to players who want to play actual golf. Honestly I am considering cancelling my pre-order, buying a Vita and the new Hot Shots game. At least the guys at Clap Hanz realize that "math and such" are still part of the game.

So the main question is, will there be an option to play on Tourney Mode without the preselected clubs and removal of the clubs yardage, etc, in the retail copy?

No there is no option like that.

Also, the math is far from completely removed from the game. You still have to account for the wind and elevation, which is the main math required in golf. What other math do you do? There's no math done to figure out the speed of the green. It's all feel. Even though the math is done for you on the speed, you still have to know what a 10 foot putt feels like on tournament conditions, and what it feels like on average. They are 2 different strokes.

Ultimately, a majority of the skill in this game is in actually hitting the shot. What you do before the shot is still important, but it means nothing if you can't actually hit the shot. I have been playing golf for 25 years and I was scratch by the time I was 13. So ass far as knowing the sport and what is true to it, I feel I have a pretty good grasp. I feel like this game represents golf better than the series ever has before. I am proud we made the game this way. I am sorry if you don't see it the same way.

HANDSWARD
03-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Hands (thanks for all of your input),

I am assuming the only way to collect coins is through the career mode and not just a "Play Now" game. Is that correct?

All the best,
Rustee_Irons

You will earn coins in ANY game mode (except some tiger legacy challenges) as long as you are connected to the EA Servers. Play now, online, career, anything.

bdoughty
03-07-2012, 11:55 PM
No there is no option like that.

Also, the math is far from completely removed from the game. You still have to account for the wind and elevation, which is the main math required in golf. What other math do you do? There's no math done to figure out the speed of the green. It's all feel. Even though the math is done for you on the speed, you still have to know what a 10 foot putt feels like on tournament conditions, and what it feels like on average. They are 2 different strokes.

Ultimately, a majority of the skill in this game is in actually hitting the shot. What you do before the shot is still important, but it means nothing if you can't actually hit the shot. I have been playing golf for 25 years and I was scratch by the time I was 13. So ass far as knowing the sport and what is true to it, I feel I have a pretty good grasp. I feel like this game represents golf better than the series ever has before. I am proud we made the game this way. I am sorry if you don't see it the same way.

Well you did not need to call me an ass. ;)

I get where you are going with this and we will just have to agree to disagree. Everything is just laid out there for you.

Is it true there is a bug in the putting on the demo? I have seen Tim mention this on a few sites? You guys made the game the way you see fit, all I ask is that in the future you take a tip from other games and leave some options available from previous editions. I still think you took out too much of the shot planning involved but it is not my creation and sales numbers will dictate if it was the right one or not. Pretty sure my pre-order will end up a sale for Amazon because I have a few friends picking it up.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer this. I have seen some of the posts on the official forum and wanting to axe all the developers is in very poor taste. Just remember, you can't make everyone happy but the more options that are available, the happier the majority will be.

psusnoop
03-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Hands thanks for posting and making yourself available.

I just downloaded the demo and have played only a couple of holes. I'll post some stuff here later in the day.

JDFlakes
03-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Hands, Thanks for the reply to my question about coins. I am enjoying the demo and am really looking forward to the full game.
All the best,
Rustee_Irons

psuexv
03-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Hands, is there a reason I can only aim my putt a certain distance close to me. For example I was on a pretty good downslope and wanted to aim my putt basically just in front of my ball, but I couldn't. When I tried to draw the aiming arrow back there was a definite "line" that I couldn't aim past

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Hands, is there a reason I can only aim my putt a certain distance close to me. For example I was on a pretty good downslope and wanted to aim my putt basically just in front of my ball, but I couldn't. When I tried to draw the aiming arrow back there was a definite "line" that I couldn't aim past

There is a minimum aiming distance. The animations would freak out if there wasn't. You can still achieve a distance shorter than that min aim by getting slow tempo at that aim.

natcret
03-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Hands, thanks for allowing us an opportunity to comment. My questions center around the total game. I enjoyed the Q-School idea from TW12. With the final release, will that still be a part of the game? Also, I see under the demo that there are just game modes for now. Are you allowed to tell us if there will be more modes, and what will they be? What about gear (clubs, golf balls, etc...)

I am very nervous about the download courses and their tie to the coins. I get the idea...work for reward, but I think that it could also ostracize players as well. My thought is that the normal average person, with a job and family, is being forced to either play 6 rounds or more for unlimited play, or have to purchase in order to achieve the same results. I think that is a little unfair. But on the flip side, it may not be as bad as I am thinking. The only way to know for sure is when we are actually able to dive into the game.

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Well you did not need to call me an ass. ;)

???

Is it true there is a bug in the putting on the demo?

There are 2.

1. The green speeds are all slower than they should be. We had a bug with rain saturation levels that were getting stuck into the non-rain settings. It's complicated, but I assure you the greens play much faster on the faster settings in the final version of the game.

2. This is really a bug for all swings. But there is a slight lag between the animation and the stick. You can take it back and never see your golfer get into the red overswing, but still get credited with overswing. The lag causes this. It is also fixed in the final version of the game.

The animations all together had another month of work done on them after the demo was cut. They in turn effect the swing meter as well. There were also a lot of other fixes. IMO, doing these demos is not a smart move for us. It doesn't represent the final product. It is always going to have issues because we are not done with the game. Most of the users freak out about it and I think it just hurts us in the end. Also, in the case of this year, I feel users who play the demo are getting intimidated by the new mechanic right away. Because it is just a demo, there isn't enough substance there to keep them playing for an extended period of time. Without that, they never truly learn the mechanic and they get turned off by it. We need to wait until the game is finished to cut the demo. Even if it means the demo doesn't come out until the week before release or even just on release day. Sending an unfinished game out is never going to go over well.

gschwendt
03-08-2012, 06:00 PM
???
This:

So ass far as knowing the sport and what is true to it, I feel I have a pretty good grasp.

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Hands, thanks for allowing us an opportunity to comment. My questions center around the total game. I enjoyed the Q-School idea from TW12. With the final release, will that still be a part of the game? Also, I see under the demo that there are just game modes for now. Are you allowed to tell us if there will be more modes, and what will they be? What about gear (clubs, golf balls, etc...)

Career is very similar to last year. There are some really cool changes to it this year too. From the sound of what you like, I think you will be extremely happy with career. I would love to get into the specifics but I can't. We will be releasing an official blog about career in the next week or two. Keep an eye out for it.

I am very nervous about the download courses and their tie to the coins. I get the idea...work for reward, but I think that it could also ostracize players as well. My thought is that the normal average person, with a job and family, is being forced to either play 6 rounds or more for unlimited play, or have to purchase in order to achieve the same results. I think that is a little unfair. But on the flip side, it may not be as bad as I am thinking. The only way to know for sure is when we are actually able to dive into the game.

Before your only option was to buy it. So having this option is a bonus, right? You can still just buy it like the past. We have the large bundles for a discount. But now you can also get it for free. I think it's pretty cool. It was my design and I am very proud I was able to give the users a way to get the courses for free. Yes, you have to play a lot to do so. But that was my main idea, to reward the users who are playing our game a ridiculous amount.

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 06:04 PM
This:

Oh, lol, typo :fp:

natcret
03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks Hands, and thank you for the idea implementation. Your explanation is what really need to be distributed out to folks, as I am sure that I am not the only person who may have thought differently. I think in the long run tho, most folks will prob end up purchasing the courses (impatience, wanting to be a part of a CC).

Also, just as a heads up, in the demo, the flyby screen for the Ocean Course moves much much faster than the one for Augusta National.

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Also, just as a heads up, in the demo, the flyby screen for the Ocean Course moves much much faster than the one for Augusta National.

Yep, another thing that wasn't done yet, all the cameras. There's a ton of them. A lot were done, a lot weren't. Thankfully you guys only have 6 holes.

psusnoop
03-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Tommy posted this:

No... pretty sure you still have to adjust your pull-back length. So if you are trying to hit a PW 50%, your pull back distance would be about halfway back. On the "meter" that wraps around your golfer, you would notice that the first half is white and the second half is red with a target bar in the middle. If you go past that halfway point, you'll get an "overswing".

Is this accurate as he was describing it?

natcret
03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Have another one to confirm:

On Tour Pro and Tournament Difficulty Level settings, when addressing the ball, you have to *hold* the left stick to set the loft and then swing with the right stick at same time (I have mine set for right stick. I assume it would be reverse for left-handed players)?

natcret
03-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Before your only option was to buy it. So having this option is a bonus, right? You can still just buy it like the past. We have the large bundles for a discount. But now you can also get it for free. I think it's pretty cool. It was my design and I am very proud I was able to give the users a way to get the courses for free. Yes, you have to play a lot to do so. But that was my main idea, to reward the users who are playing our game a ridiculous amount.

I just remembered why I made the statement regarding giving a better explanation to players. In the demo, when you go to the Notifications Screen and the read the information for Course Mastery, the last sentence states the following:

"When you earn gold course mastery on one of our paid downloadable courses you will earn free unlimited play on that course"

It is the presentation of the information on that particular screen that caused me to raise my eyebrow. In your explanation, it appears that once we achieve gold mastery, the hard way, we get the course for free. However, does it also mean we get unlimited play on that course as well?

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Tommy posted this:

No... pretty sure you still have to adjust your pull-back length. So if you are trying to hit a PW 50%, your pull back distance would be about halfway back. On the "meter" that wraps around your golfer, you would notice that the first half is white and the second half is red with a target bar in the middle. If you go past that halfway point, you'll get an "overswing".

Is this accurate as he was describing it?

Yea, pretty much. Here is an explanation in my words:

When you pull the aiming marker in you are setting yourself up for a shorter and shorter shot. Shorter shots require a shorter backswing and a shorter follow through. The swing arc (that meter around the golfer) is drawn when you go to address based on the shot you have set up. The white line on the swing arc shows the point that you want to start your follow through (end your backswing). If you have pulled the aimer in, that white line will be not as far around the golfer. There is always a red part of the arc that is after the white line. This shows you the overswing area. You can overswing on any shot, so you can never really let your swing get to the top.

The swing does cap to a certain extent based on your aim. You can't aim 20 yards in front of you and still go back to the top. We have to do this because of animation. Because you have pulled the aimer in to 20 yards, your golfer is now set up for a pitch shot. No golfer would ever set up for a pitch and then take the club all the way to the top. Obviously we aren't going to have the game do that. Plus, the pitch animation somehow blending into a full backswing would look really wierd. And... we don't even have any mocap data for any swing like that.

This is really important... as you pull in the aiming marker and create these shorter shots, your ability to overswing increases. So while you may only be able to overswing by 10% on a max distance shot, a short 20 yard shot allows you to overswing by 40 or 50%. This amount you can overswing depends on the difficulty. The overswing capability is greater in the higher diffiuclties. It does get larger tho in every difficulty when you move to shorter shots.

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Have another one to confirm:

On Tour Pro and Tournament Difficulty Level settings, when addressing the ball, you have to *hold* the left stick to set the loft and then swing with the right stick at same time (I have mine set for right stick. I assume it would be reverse for left-handed players)?

Yes the strike meter works like this in each difficulty:

AM: It defaults to the exact center of the ball. If you move it, it stays where you put it.
PRO: If defaults to the center of the meter. If your ball is off center it is up to you to move it. If you move it, it stays where you put it.
TOUR PRO and TOURNAMENT: It defaults to the center of the meter. You have to hold it in place throughout the entire swing. It can actually move around during your entire swing.

HANDSWARD
03-08-2012, 07:42 PM
It is the presentation of the information on that particular screen that caused me to raise my eyebrow. In your explanation, it appears that once we achieve gold mastery, the hard way, we get the course for free. However, does it also mean we get unlimited play on that course as well?

Yes, if you get gold mastery you get unlimited rounds. If you buy the course you get unlimited rounds. I wrote a blog all about the coins, course mastery, and pins. It has some good information in it. It is on the Tiger Woogs PGA TOUR 13 website under blogs if you want some more info. I think it may be linked in this forum somewhere to.

bdoughty
03-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Yep, another thing that wasn't done yet, all the cameras. There's a ton of them. A lot were done, a lot weren't. Thankfully you guys only have 6 holes.

Like more cameras in game to choose from? I really wonder what the thought was behind the scenes in regards to the cut ins for the True Aim camera. Ball lands, you then zoom in low to a screen that does not tell you anything and then a closeup of your ball that once again does not tell you anything about the landing of your shot. It just makes me want to do a double tap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDJedaxA2eU) and move to the next shot.

Hate to harp on the cameras but Follow does nothing for me, broadcast is pretty useless (though with options could be great) and True Aim just needs a quick zoom in option. (I realize that it is realistic to not see where your ball lands in a really deep bunker) but you could do a slow camera pan towards the ball, as if one was walking up to the green, which would be limited to pitch shots and chipping. So many missed opportunities from a visual sense. Things that were standard in the OLD TW PC games of years past (custom cameras - tons of options).

Edit: Wanted to add that I used to post a bunch on the official site over the years and while I have moved away from there (Tim brings out the worst in me), has the team ever considered flying John Cauthen in for one of those Community meetings. Got nothing against Oblong but John kinda speaks for the Sim golfers and does so in a pleasant and articulate way.

He has shares my passion for the lack of cameras in the game and bringing Precision Putting back. :P

gschwendt
03-09-2012, 12:57 PM
In the retail version, is there any way or any plans to allow you to have separate camera angles for normal swings vs putting? I like the camera facing the player for regular swings but I like the "blimp" camera for putting. I could handle using the camera facing the player for both but when putting from long distances, you can't see where the ball travels.

HANDSWARD
03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
In the retail version, is there any way or any plans to allow you to have separate camera angles for normal swings vs putting? I like the camera facing the player for regular swings but I like the "blimp" camera for putting. I could handle using the camera facing the player for both but when putting from long distances, you can't see where the ball travels.

No sadly they don't save out independently. I had it on my list but time ran out. It is on my list for next year.

natcret
03-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I learned today that when you are in the Aim view and click the left stick, you can get four different levels of zoom. I really like that option.

natcret
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Handsward,

The more I play the demo the more I am starting to like some of the new functionality. I like the fact that you can still do punch, flop, pitch, chip and other adjustments by pressing X instead of the click stick from last year while in the swing setup view. I also really like how you get actual audible and visual feedback when manually adjusting your swing to meet caddie recommendations. :)

CoreySA
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
First off, mad props to HANDSWORD for doing this. I had the chance to meet him at the first community event and his passion for gaming really shows. I wanted to point out that through the first community event, Handsword was spending constant hours inside the playtest room with us explaining the mechanic and the various goals the team had for the brand. He was very open and really helpful. I just wanted to point that out, and thank you so much for all the conversation and spending the time with us.

I think it's important to explain to everyone that when we left that community event in early October, we felt really good about the changes. One of the things us attendees noted was that we knew it would take a bit of time to adjust to the new mechanic. We knew that as soon as some people played it, there would be some hesitation because it is indeed much more challenging then last year. I think through the last few days we are starting to see some great strides once people have had some time with the demo. When we first arrived in Orlando and started to play Tiger 13, every one of us struggled at first and were thrown off. Once we got through day 1 and into the 2nd day the changes and vision REALLY became apparent. The more time with the game - the more nuances you will pick up on and create a certain type of flow with YOUR swing. Trust me in saying that the more you play, the better you will feel.

When playing on harder difficulties the putting is definitely harder but I know that is something I appreciate. I hated the fact putting was so easy before. Putting is one of the hardest things to do in golf and should come with a challenge. The mentality we have to get out of is that the game could easily be mastered on Tour Pro or Tourney. This should never be the case. Things like hitting out of the bunkers, or rough or putting should be a challenge. I think what is great now, is that by accomplishing tasks such as these, or making a nice 15 foot putt come with a huge sense of accomplishment! The reward feels like just that - a reward. More strategy comes into play as well as you'll have to decide to lay up in areas and not just attempt to be a monster on every shot. The team should be commended for this as this is what golf is. Tiger is making the transition to become a more defined 'sim' title and this game should really resonate with real golfers.

Here is a message I received from a good friend of mine who is an avid golfer (probably plays 4-5 times a week), and likes Tiger but never liked the shot stick or some of the mechanics in the game - I thought I'd share --

****Dude, that was a pretty sick fist pump in the video!!!

I downloaded the demo for PS3, have yet to try the Move with it, but I really like the new tempo and swing mechanics! Before the game was just a bunch of math. Hit it 95% of 100 yards to get 95 yards. Now there's so many different ways to hit a ball 95 yards, fast tempo, bigger swing, less or more club, etc...

There is no such thing as a perfect shot in golf and it seems like TW13 is finally adding that.****

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear from the community the moment we left the event and I think that is the overall goal of the team - Create many ways to get to one spot instead of just having you on a mathematical 'straight line' so to speak. Playing on the two higher settings THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT SHOT, and there never should be. In golf there are none of us that can say 'I'm going to hit the ball in this exact spot and that's where its going to go'.

I really commend the changes and thank the team for taking the time to add some much needed challenge to the title and create something that can be refined and added to in the future. Pretty excited to see where this will go from here! Just wanted to add my 2 cents and my thoughts about the new mechanics.

JDFlakes
03-11-2012, 09:10 AM
EA SPORTS Game Changer
Twitter -- @CoreySA

:nod:

JDFlakes
03-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Hands, Do you ever get "tempo" right? It is difficult to duplicate shots (mulligans) from fairway to pin on Tour Pro.

HANDSWARD
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Hands, Do you ever get "tempo" right? It is difficult to duplicate shots (mulligans) from fairway to pin on Tour Pro.

On the first 3 diffs I am pretty consistant at it. On AM it's 100% of the time. Pro, about 90%. Tour Pro, about 60%. On tournament, I try to get as close to perfect as possible. Actually getting perfect, that happens about 2-3% of the time for me. But that is supposed to be the case for everyone. Heck, some people may never see a perfect shot in Tournament.

JDFlakes
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Hands, Thank you for the reply. I will be playing Tour Pro in my Tailgate CC... and I am learning that tempo, along with club selection and position of the ball in my stance is going to be an art form. Taking mulligans on approach shots and working on tempo is a learning experience. I have ordered the Collector's Edition, so am looking forward to the practice facility. Again, thank you. Rustee_Irons (PS3)

natcret
03-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Handsward,

Could you post up your "Understanding Tempo" explanation over here at TGT?