PDA

View Full Version : Issue with a car, could use some advice...

I OU a Beatn
07-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Here's the deal:

I've had a '97 Cavalier since last January. I bought it with 180,000 miles on it for $600, which in retrospect, was pretty stupid. It lasted me about a year and then something really got messed up. I had been having problems with the engine stalling for a second or two while in low gear, and it would idle unbelievably hard. After about 3 months of that, it got to the point that I couldn't drive it. It wouldn't accelerate above 5mph, and it's been in the shop since January. Mechanic FINALLY tells me yesterday that it's the computer, which is obviously a boat load to fix...a boat load that I'm not willing to spend on a car with that many miles that I only paid $600 for(even though I've been drained about $1,500 in various previous repairs on it). So, he gave me $100 and we called it even.

Now, I'm looking to buy a new car. When I say new, I mean new for me, not new new. I've basically decided that I can spend up to 5 grand without putting myself under too much financial stress, and considering that's a relatively decent chunk of money, I figure I can get a decent car that will last me a few years.

I really, REALLY want a Subaru Impreza. I don't care what anyone says, they're absolute fucking tanks. I had one that had over 350,000 miles on it before it finally gave up and called it quits. However, they're pricey...even used. However, I found something that seems a little too good to be true.

It's a 2000 Ford Mustang with a 6 cylinder engine, automatic transmission, and only 86,000 miles on it. The guy is want 4,500 for it, which is perfect for my budget. He's done some normal maintenance on it, and says the car runs great and that he has no problems with it. It has brand new tires, new MP3 player, brand new brakes, new wheel bearings, and also had the rotors turned. The kicker is that it has a reconstructed title, meaning it was wrecked. I called and the guy said that the guy before him hit the guard rail and it messed up the passenger side door and bumper, all of which has been fixed since. I've read that reconstructed titles can be a pain to get insurance for, and even when you do, the price is jacked up. However, this is truly a great deal if nothing is wrong with it. I'm going to look at it some time next week, and here's some pics:

http://images.pennswoods.net/agdwd2ltYWdlchILEglGaWxlQ2FjaGUY1Ny3AQw
http://images.pennswoods.net/agdwd2ltYWdlchILEglGaWxlQ2FjaGUYx5u4AQw

So, what do you guys think? Any input from someone who's had a Mustang would be MUCH appreciated.

HuskerBlitz
07-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I haven't owned a Mustang, but my best friend has had two. He's had some minor problems, but nothing that isn't normal on almost any car.

As for the title, I've never had an issue with a wreck title, nor do I know of anyone that has problems with them. I would call your own insurance company and simply ask them about it. As for the car, that price sounds good, but be sure to drive it before buying.

Rudy
07-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I had a 94 Mustang GT. Horrible in the snow lol. I lived at home at the time so the few days where we had bad snow I would drive my dad's car. I kept it two years and then sold it. The tires were crazy expensive but it was a fun car.