PDA

View Full Version : Official NBA Live 13 Wishlist

CoreySA
02-08-2012, 08:34 AM
As the NBA season nears the midway point, it's time to start collecting requests and wishes for the upcoming NBA Elite/Live 13 comeback project from EA SPORTS. Is there anything you guys want to see happen? Anything you're expecting? Would you rather see the title go back to the Live 10 type style, a improved Elite or something totally new?

Also, what can EA SPORTS do to attract 2K fans and how can it differentiate itself in the basketball market?

Any requests and/or ideas are valuable and I can guarantee that notes will be taken and given to the dev teams in the upcoming weeks.

JBHuskers
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Since it has been proven to be done, Online Franchise is a must now.

morsdraconis
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Please get someone in that has played/coached NBA Basketball to advise on making the most realistic game of basketball possible. Not even 2k has been able to achieve that. You do that, and you have a customer.

bdoughty
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Also, what can EA SPORTS do to attract 2K fans and how can it differentiate itself in the basketball market?

Give us both a Pro and College game. They had made some strides in the college game.

JeffHCross
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Give us both a Pro and College game. They had made some strides in the college game.I have to agree with this one. A standalone NBA title doesn't interest me ... a standalone CBB title doesn't interest me. But something that gives me both, much like the NHL and FIFA cover so many different leagues and levels, is very appealing. Obviously the licensing factors with college basketball make this difficult, at best, but it's a very good idea.

CoreySA
02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
One idea I had guys -- Instead of having both CBB and NBA included together (obviously disc space is an issue, and I'm just being realistic that year 1 of the new project they probably won't want to put that much risk licensing-wise into unknown sales), one idea I mentioned while down in Orlando for Tiger was to include the March Madness tourney in both franchise and the 'be a pro' mode. Imagine being able to create a new pro and bring him through the tourney to up his draft stock. You could also include it into franchise as a way to scout players. I thought it would be a good starting point and would definitely capture some of the 2K market and tap into the unused NCAA market. Thoughts? Note I did already bring this up so hopefully something went through.

CoreySA
02-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Please get someone in that has played/coached NBA Basketball to advise on making the most realistic game of basketball possible. Not even 2k has been able to achieve that. You do that, and you have a customer.

Great point. I've played basketball my whole life and agree that there are sooo many things missing from ALL bball titles. Having some intelligent sources would benefit greatly. Noted..

CoreySA
02-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Since it has been proven to be done, Online Franchise is a must now.

Agreed. I think online in general is something EA has to put a lot of resources into in order to really compete head on with 2K. It has obviously been a sore spot with 2K.

bdoughty
02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
One idea I had guys -- Instead of having both CBB and NBA included together (obviously disc space is an issue, and I'm just being realistic that year 1 of the new project they probably won't want to put that much risk licensing-wise into unknown sales), one idea I mentioned while down in Orlando for Tiger was to include the March Madness tourney in both franchise and the 'be a pro' mode. Imagine being able to create a new pro and bring him through the tourney to up his draft stock. You could also include it into franchise as a way to scout players. I thought it would be a good starting point and would definitely capture some of the 2K market and tap into the unused NCAA market. Thoughts? Note I did already bring this up so hopefully something went through.

If you do not have the licenses, who exactly is going to play the March Madness mode? You would have to get the CLC License (teams, ncaa logo, etc) for pretty much anyone to have an interest in playing such a mode. Which in turn goes back to the point of why have all that NCAA licensing for one game mode?

I do not see how space is such an issue. Take a look at FIFA for example, pretty sure you are dealing with well over 300 teams there, not to mention all the different leagues, tourneys, etc. Assets can easily be shared ina pro and college basketball game.

CoreySA
02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
If you do not have the licenses, who exactly is going to play the March Madness mode? You would have to get the CLC License (teams, ncaa logo, etc) for pretty much anyone to have an interest in playing such a mode. Which in turn goes back to the point of why have all that NCAA licensing for one game mode?

I do not see how space is such an issue. Take a look at FIFA for example, pretty sure you are dealing with well over 300 teams there, not to mention all the different leagues, tourneys, etc. Assets can easily be shared ina pro and college basketball game.

No, sorry I misspoke. I meant have the license for NCAA, but I'm not expecting them to create 2 completely different titles in one game. I was just meaning start off with the March Madness and seeing how people react to it and if it warrants more in the future then add to it. Two things to clarify - I doubt they're going to create two different games into one in the very first year. It's a very risky move. I can see them adding certain features but when people buy an NBA game, they want NBA. The second part - I doubt the NCAA would be happy about supporting a title which in essence is just tagged in along side another product. I think it would be easier to sell them the idea of using the March Madness, maybe even as another stand-alone XBLA title in which you could carry over your player to the retail title rather than adding it on as a license behind the NBA. I would love that to happen don't get me wrong, but I'm just thinking realistically the NCAA sees itself as its own identity and would probably want their own type of deal. I was just hoping to use parts of it to start off with. If you could try something on a smaller scale in year 1 or 2 and show the NCAA that it increases sales and awareness then you could probably convince them that doing more is beneficial.

CLW
02-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Really a MM only add on to an NBA game does NOT interest me in the slightest. I realize I'm probably in the minority but I'd need a full blown college hoops game to really be interested.

SmoothPancakes
02-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Really a MM only add on to an NBA game does NOT interest me in the slightest. I realize I'm probably in the minority but I'd need a full blown college hoops game to really be interested.

:+1:

Me too. I want to play a full season, a full dynasty as the Denver Pioneers, or the Navy Midshipmen, or whoever. I don't want to just play a whole 6 games (if you make the Championship game) and that be it. I want a full season, a full dynasty, a full career.

bdoughty
02-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I am in the same boat, full game would get my attention. My HOPE is that once 2k Sports loses the MLB license to EA, they free up some money to start College Hoops again. I have to admit that while I am desperate to get a college game from anyone, EA still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth the way they handled NCAA Basketball 10.

JeffHCross
02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Me too. I want to play a full season, a full dynasty as the Denver Pioneers, or the Navy Midshipmen, or whoever. I don't want to just play a whole 6 games (if you make the Championship game) and that be it. I want a full season, a full dynasty, a full career.While I agree, I do think that a DLC (preferably standalone, not connected to NBA game) game for March Madness would sell decently well, especially released right at tourney time. But that's a huge investment for a short window of release.

Corey, I agree that it wouldn't be a first-year thing ... that was totally a multi-year wish on my part.

CoreySA
02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
What do you guys expect commentary wise? Or what type of things would excite you when it comes to feature set?

Escobar
02-10-2012, 04:43 PM
What do you guys expect commentary wise? Or what type of things would excite you when it comes to feature set?

I like 2K's commentary style, but I didn't play it until Steve Kerr was added in the patch. I just don't like how the indepth tangents on certain players seem to get repeated every game, so it gets redundant.

Papa LoneStar
02-10-2012, 05:53 PM
My HOPE is that once 2k Sports loses the MLB license to EA, they free up some money to start College Hoops again.

Amen

JeffHCross
02-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Or what type of things would excite you when it comes to feature set?This might sound completely strange, but I'm that way sometimes. I'm assuming that the team is starting relatively from scratch. Therefore, for the first edition, I'd look for the strongest gameplay possible. The feature set, in my opinion, should be as much of an afterthought as possible. Strong gameplay first and foremost. I don't personally believe EA can take sales from 2k with a feature set in year 1. Need gameplay to be what shines.

I especially think that gameplay needs to be as strong as possible to get rid of some of the aftertaste of NBA Elite.

ram29jackson
02-10-2012, 08:05 PM
better create a team features.

old school players/teams..and if you have to use generic sneakers,at least make them look good

theenemy
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
As the NBA season nears the midway point, it's time to start collecting requests and wishes for the upcoming NBA Elite/Live 13 comeback project from EA SPORTS. Is there anything you guys want to see happen? Anything you're expecting? Would you rather see the title go back to the Live 10 type style, a improved Elite or something totally new?

Any requests and/or ideas are valuable and I can guarantee that notes will be taken and given to the dev teams in the upcoming weeks.

just signed up to post in this thread. I was listening to you and Czar on the blogtalkradio and decided to post parts of the email I sent Da Czar a week ago - seems to be the right place to discuss.

I played Live from 1995 to 2005 then switched to 2k - I remember Live was getting arcade so I looked around the web and "discovered" the 2k basketball......
but 2k is dropping the ball year after year now, and I really don't trust them after this year's game.
Stuff promised by the developers themselves are not in the game! .....
So, I am very excited about Live coming back. The competition is always good for more innovation etc.
I also think that EA can bring a game changing feature in the basketball video gaming; momentum based movement
I am not sure if you are familiar with EA's Fifa12 and/or Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - I play those games as much as I play Nba2k and I've been a big soccer fan all my life - I tell you, those games are properly good in terms of player movement and how realistic is the AI's movement and response to every situation. They figured it out !

Basically they give you two triggers to change the rate of "momentum change of the player's movement".
LT: gives you the ability to 'slowly but very sharply' change your momentum to give yourself a better body angle to beat your defender. It's crisp but it is slow.
RT: this is the explosion trigger. Gives you less control on the ball and your player but it is FAST (Turbo) - as you keep holding it it becomes more aggressive but less control.

Best of it all, they know how to make the speed ratings matter in the actual game. You can tell a fast player from a slow player in a second and it's beautiful. Recovery speeds are incredibly accurate - very rarely you will raise your eyebrows. In combination with the movement triggers the whole gameplay is to me is almost flawless.

If EA can bring this idea in, and make it work for basketball....... Play FUNK Da Czar !! (or that live 95 intro music !!)
So this is what I want to see from EA in Nba Live 2013.
PS: I really hope Live 13 will be better than expected and will hurt 2k :) I am sick and tired.

+ the tactical defending from fifa12 you mentioned in game changers radio show is the way to go for on ball defense !! (or some variation of it - I was thinking using the triggers to create contact could work too - say you hold L2 to create body contact with the ball handler - the longer you hold the trigger the intenser the defense gets to the point if you hold it too much it's a foul etc (like basically you are trying to stay with a range of defensive intensity for the best on ball defensive performance)

so basically, the technology is there - I hope they bring the fifa guys in to help implement it into NBA Live - I'm quite confident that the EA's online will work so if they can show good signs of core gameplay, Live will make a strong comeback (or at least will be very promising for the very near future).

Cheers

JeffHCross
03-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Corey, just had a thought. I'd love to see this across all the professional EA games, and NBA Live would be a great place to start. One of my favorite things to do in Head Coach 09 (and still a reason I'll occasionally pop in the game to play it again) is to start with the offseason and re-do the draft. There's just something fundamentally fun for me to make changes before I even start a season. Obviously I could change whatever I wanted in the roster before starting a season, but having the game give me the option of starting with the prior offseason/draft is something that really appeals to me.

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Corey, just had a thought. I'd love to see this across all the professional EA games, and NBA Live would be a great place to start. One of my favorite things to do in Head Coach 09 (and still a reason I'll occasionally pop in the game to play it again) is to start with the offseason and re-do the draft. There's just something fundamentally fun for me to make changes before I even start a season. Obviously I could change whatever I wanted in the roster before starting a season, but having the game give me the option of starting with the prior offseason/draft is something that really appeals to me.

:+1: :nod: :up: :clap: