PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia choosing the "nuclear" option in protest of SOPA

SmoothPancakes
01-17-2012, 05:06 AM
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

To: English Wikipedia Readers and Community
From: Sue Gardner, Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director
Date: January 16, 2012

Today, the Wikipedia community announced its decision to black out the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18 (you can read the statement from the Wikimedia Foundation here). The blackout is a protest against proposed legislation in the United States—the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate—that, if passed, would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia.

This will be the first time the English Wikipedia has ever staged a public protest of this nature, and it’s a decision that wasn’t lightly made. Here’s how it’s been described by the three Wikipedia administrators who formally facilitated the community’s discussion. From the public statement, signed by User:NuclearWarfare, User:Risker and User:Billinghurst:

It is the opinion of the English Wikipedia community that both of these bills, if passed, would be devastating to the free and open web.

Over the course of the past 72 hours, over 1800 Wikipedians have joined together to discuss proposed actions that the community might wish to take against SOPA and PIPA. This is by far the largest level of participation in a community discussion ever seen on Wikipedia, which illustrates the level of concern that Wikipedians feel about this proposed legislation. The overwhelming majority of participants support community action to encourage greater public action in response to these two bills. Of the proposals considered by Wikipedians, those that would result in a “blackout” of the English Wikipedia, in concert with similar blackouts on other websites opposed to SOPA and PIPA, received the strongest support.

On careful review of this discussion, the closing administrators note the broad-based support for action from Wikipedians around the world, not just from within the United States. The primary objection to a global blackout came from those who preferred that the blackout be limited to readers from the United States, with the rest of the world seeing a simple banner notice instead. We also noted that roughly 55% of those supporting a blackout preferred that it be a global one, with many pointing to concerns about similar legislation in other nations.

In making this decision, Wikipedians will be criticized for seeming to abandon neutrality to take a political position. That’s a real, legitimate issue. We want people to trust Wikipedia, not worry that it is trying to propagandize them.

But although Wikipedia’s articles are neutral, its existence is not. As Wikimedia Foundation board member Kat Walsh wrote on one of our mailing lists recently,

We depend on a legal infrastructure that makes it possible for us to operate. And we depend on a legal infrastructure that also allows other sites to host user-contributed material, both information and expression. For the most part, Wikimedia projects are organizing and summarizing and collecting the world’s knowledge. We’re putting it in context, and showing people how to make to sense of it.

But that knowledge has to be published somewhere for anyone to find and use it. Where it can be censored without due process, it hurts the speaker, the public, and Wikimedia. Where you can only speak if you have sufficient resources to fight legal challenges, or, if your views are pre-approved by someone who does, the same narrow set of ideas already popular will continue to be all anyone has meaningful access to.

The decision to shut down the English Wikipedia wasn’t made by me; it was made by editors, through a consensus decision-making process. But I support it.

Like Kat and the rest of the Wikimedia Foundation Board, I have increasingly begun to think of Wikipedia’s public voice, and the goodwill people have for Wikipedia, as a resource that wants to be used for the benefit of the public. Readers trust Wikipedia because they know that despite its faults, Wikipedia’s heart is in the right place. It’s not aiming to monetize their eyeballs or make them believe some particular thing, or sell them a product. Wikipedia has no hidden agenda: it just wants to be helpful.

That’s less true of other sites. Most are commercially motivated: their purpose is to make money. That doesn’t mean they don’t have a desire to make the world a better place—many do!—but it does mean that their positions and actions need to be understood in the context of conflicting interests.

My hope is that when Wikipedia shuts down on January 18, people will understand that we’re doing it for our readers. We support everyone’s right to freedom of thought and freedom of expression. We think everyone should have access to educational material on a wide range of subjects, even if they can’t pay for it. We believe in a free and open Internet where information can be shared without impediment. We believe that new proposed laws like SOPA—and PIPA, and other similar laws under discussion inside and outside the United States—don’t advance the interests of the general public. You can read a very good list of reasons to oppose SOPA and PIPA here, from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Why is this a global action, rather than US-only? And why now, if some American legislators appear to be in tactical retreat on SOPA?

The reality is that we don’t think SOPA is going away, and PIPA is still quite active. Moreover, SOPA and PIPA are just indicators of a much broader problem. All around the world, we're seeing the development of legislation intended to fight online piracy, and regulate the Internet in other ways, that hurt online freedoms. Our concern extends beyond SOPA and PIPA: they are just part of the problem. We want the Internet to remain free and open, everywhere, for everyone.

Make your voice heard!

On January 18, we hope you’ll agree with us, and will do what you can to make your own voice heard.

Sue Gardner,
Executive Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Doing some searching, it appears Reddit is also going the nuclear route, though only for 12 hours, opposed to Wikipedia's 24 hours. Wikipedia will be offline from 12am EST to 11:59pm EST Wednesday, while Reddit will be offline 8am to 8pm EST Wednesday.

I had heard rumors of sites such as Facebook, Google, Twitter, Paypal and others considering a "nuclear" option. But this is the first I have heard of sites actually electing to do it.

morsdraconis
01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
AWESOME!

Do EVERYTHING you can to fight this bullshit. It's bad enough that the fuckin' US government can use political pressure on other countries to force them to shutdown domains that the US doesn't like. It's all bullshit.

morsdraconis
01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Best thing you can do is go here (https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173) and fill out your information to tell the morons in office in your state to do something about this shit.

JBHuskers
01-17-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm confused though....didn't it come out yesterday that Congress was shelving this indefinitely?

SmoothPancakes
01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm confused though....didn't it come out yesterday that Congress was shelving this indefinitely?

That's what it seems like, but one senator (or representative), said it's not dead for certain. Plus it hasn't been shelved indefinitely, last I heard, the vote in committee was just pushed back from tomorrow to Friday.

JBHuskers
01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Hmmm. Yeah I saw multiple reports about it being shelved indefinitely yesterday. Hope that's true.

JBHuskers
01-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Look what's trending in the US right now:

#FactsWithoutWikipedia
#SOPA End Piracy
Not Liberty
Tell Congress
Stop Online Piracy Act
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

psuexv
01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Ok, so I'm going to play dumb here. What is the big deal with SOPA? Honestly I'm lazy and haven't really read anything about it. I saw where they want to make it easier for them to shut down sites that infringe on copyrights and such and stop piracy.

But I'm hearing all kinds of stuff about how the internet will not be free anymore and yada yada. Someone lay it out for me so I don't have to go read about it :)

JBHuskers
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Well if you need Wiki today, just use Wikidroid :D it works.

steelerfan
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Well if you need Wiki today, just use Wikidroid :D it works.

I've searched things on Google, then gone to the Wiki page from there. That works fine today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
01-18-2012, 11:17 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/sopa/sopa.gif

JeffHCross
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
But I'm hearing all kinds of stuff about how the internet will not be free anymore and yada yada. Someone lay it out for me so I don't have to go read about it :)Basically, it gives copyright/intellectual property owners the power to take down any website that they feel is infringing, and block US access to that site. That's namely for foreign sites, so say good-bye to The Pirate Bay, Wikileaks, or any other non-US site that anybody would have cause to block access to.

That doesn't sounds apocalyptic in itself, except that part of the bill effectively requires that sites police themselves, and have a guilt-by-assocation element. You link to a site that infringes copyright, you're done. Or, to put it another way, even TGT could be on the hook because of threads like "You Gotta See This" or "You Gotta Hear This".

But SOPA goes further than DMCA and potentially puts site operators -- even those based in the U.S. -- on the hook for content that their users upload. The proposed bill's text says that a site could be deemed a SOPA scofflaw if it "facilitates" copyright infringement.

That very broad language has tech companies spooked.

Sites like YouTube, which publishes millions of user-uploaded videos each week, are worried that they would be forced to more closely police that content to avoid running afoul of the new rules.

"YouTube would just go dark immediately," Google public policy director Bob Boorstin said at a conference last month. "It couldn't function."
And all of this could happen without due process.

Summary on CNN (http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/17/technology/sopa_explained/index.htm)

JeffHCross
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
SBNation put a short blog together explaining why they were opposed to SOPA. Good read (http://www.sbnation.com/2012/1/18/2715811/sopa-legislation-sb-nation-vox-media-statement).

morsdraconis
01-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Basically, it gives copyright/intellectual property owners the power to take down any website that they feel is infringing, and block US access to that site. That's namely for foreign sites, so say good-bye to The Pirate Bay, Wikileaks, or any other non-US site that anybody would have cause to block access to.

That doesn't sounds apocalyptic in itself, except that part of the bill effectively requires that sites police themselves, and have a guilt-by-assocation element. You link to a site that infringes copyright, you're done. Or, to put it another way, even TGT could be on the hook because of threads like "You Gotta See This" or "You Gotta Hear This".

And all of this could happen without due process.

Summary on CNN (http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/17/technology/sopa_explained/index.htm)

That summary on CNN doesn't even really talk about the issues that you raised (guilty by association) so it's really not a very good summary.

While I, most definitely, make use of illegal means for my entertainment purposes, I'm mainly opposed to SOPA and PIPA because of how much of a change it's going to bring about to the internet as a whole. Good god, without Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, and various forums, the internet would be destroyed for what it has stood for (net neutrality) since it's inception. It's crazy to think that it could happen, but if something isn't done soon, it very well could happen. It doesn't seem likely that the Senate or the House is going to hold out forever on these bills. I can only hope that there are enough smart people in those two collections of government officials to stop this shit from passing (aka, the internet is fuckin' doomed).

SmoothPancakes
01-19-2012, 12:00 AM
That summary on CNN doesn't even really talk about the issues that you raised (guilty by association) so it's really not a very good summary.

While I, most definitely, make use of illegal means for my entertainment purposes, I'm mainly opposed to SOPA and PIPA because of how much of a change it's going to bring about to the internet as a whole. Good god, without Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, and various forums, the internet would be destroyed for what it has stood for (net neutrality) since it's inception. It's crazy to think that it could happen, but if something isn't done soon, it very well could happen. It doesn't seem likely that the Senate or the House is going to hold out forever on these bills. I can only hope that there are enough smart people in those two collections of government officials to stop this shit from passing (aka, the internet is fuckin' doomed).

:D I was going to say, you honestly have hope there are still enough people in Congress without their heads buried in their asses and the asses of lobbyists and special interest groups? I lost that hope before I was even old enough to vote.

psuexv
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks Jeff, I actually went out and did some reading for myself yesterday. Personally I think it's a bit of an overreaction by some people but time will tell.

morsdraconis
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Jeff, I actually went out and did some reading for myself yesterday. Personally I think it's a bit of an overreaction by some people but time will tell.

It's most definitely NOT an overreaction. There is plenty of evidence of companies trying to do GROSSLY stupid shutdowns with the laws already in place (DMCA, for example, that people like to use to make people shutdown youtube videos and such). Luckily, the laws in place force the people making the claims to substantiate the claim with actual evidence.

The problem is, with these above laws, as they're currently written, the claim makers have no need to substantiate their claims with actual evidence. It falls on the people that are being accused of copyright infringement. I'm sure TGT doesn't have the money to hire a legal team to fight the infringement bullshit they'd have to deal with when they have claims that would be made against them for just the "The GIF Thread", "You Gotta Hear This", and "You Gotta See This" threads alone (which, I can guarantee you will be the type of stuff targeted once the acts are passed).

Youtube will be destroyed. It'll go back to it's infancy as basically nothing but a place for dumbass videos of people getting hit in the crouch (to no music at all) or babies dancing to silence (because if they include music in it, even the silly DCMA laws right now can attack them and force them to take it down).

Facebook would also be destroyed. No sharing of any type of media between friends. No, "Hey man, this song is fuckin' awesome, you should check it out at this youtube link" (unless, of course, it's an officially sanctioned release by the record company - not the artist, THE RECORD COMPANY).

The courts will be so bogged down with bullshit copyright infringement lawsuits it'll be ridiculous and the internet will be dead as we know it.

steelerfan
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Meh. Who cares?

The world is ending in 11 months anyway. :nod:

psuexv
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Well I guess I kind of disagree. You Tube could be shut down now because of Copyright infringement but it isn't. It's not freedom of speech to post a clip from a movie or rip a song and put it up. This is all coming from Record Labels and Artists and movie companies. They are tired of people ripping off their shit and illegally downloading it and they have deep pockets to push the government into taking action.

Like I said earlier I got the whole piracy situation but didn't understand why the "it will break the internet". Personally I still don't think it will break the internet.

People are saying Twitter and Facebook would be shut down too. Do you really think Cheerios is going to go after people because I posted how I had a big bowl of Cheerios this morning? Or how in my blog I wrote that I am fixing my house and used Thompson's Water Seal on my deck? These companies know that it is better pub for them to have people talking about their products than to ban people and sue them for talking about their products.

steelerfan
01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Careful. Those Thompson's people are real assholes.

cdj
01-19-2012, 04:40 PM
- Yesterday: Hollywood Moguls Stopping Obama Donations Because Of President’s Piracy Stand: “Not Give A Dime Anymore” (http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/exclusive-hollywood-moguls-stopping-obama-donations-because-of-administrations-piracy-stand/)

- Today: Feds shut down file-sharing site one day after Web protest (http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/205209-feds-shutdown-file-sharing-site-megaupload)

- Anonymous takes down DOJ, Universal Music, RIAA, MPAA websites in response to Megaupload case (http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/01/19/anonymous-takes-down-doj-website-in-response-to-megaupload-case/)

JeffHCross
01-19-2012, 09:43 PM
You Tube could be shut down now because of Copyright infringement but it isn't.No, it couldn't. Not immediately and without due process. Look at what had to happen to take down MegaUpload, and that's much more blatant copyright violation than YouTube. Among other things, YouTube does try to work with IP and copyright holders and take down videos as requested.

Under the provisions of SOPA, the possibility exists (emphasis on "possible") that YouTube could be forced to be shut down by a single copyright claim.

It's not freedom of speechThe problem with that is who's defining free speech. There's plenty of things out there that the courts have said are free speech while critics have not. And even if it's not about "Free speech", there's also "fair use".

These companies know that it is better pub for them to have people talking about their products than to ban people and sue them for talking about their products.They're not going to for the reasons you cited. But SOPA, as written, allows for going after sites because of a single video. Or single link. There's reason to be cautious of that. Will it "destroy the internet"? No, that's an overreaction. But it's also something to watch closely.

And, as I said with TGT as my example, there's no telling what they would really go after. Are they going to go after people who are talking about their products? Probably not. But whoever holds the copyright on My Cousin Vinny may not like Smooth's avatar. And there are plenty of potential examples of that on Twitter and Facebook.

If you think about it, it's largely the same as the fear behind the defense bill that was passed late last year that allows for infinite detention of American citizens without due process. Is it likely to happen? I hope not. I fear so, but I hope not. But is the possibility scary? Absolutely. (Please for the love of everything, let's not get into a debate about that piece of legislation. I'm only using it for an example.)

That summary on CNN doesn't even really talk about the issues that you raised (guilty by association) so it's really not a very good summary.Well, I was going to use Ars Technica, but I couldn't really find a good article there either. Because of the protests, it became a lot harder to find a summary article and not a news article. Probably should have gone to PCWorld or the like.

Though CNN did have the part I quoted, which was about the guilt-by-association problem.

morsdraconis
01-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Really, the worst part about it is how incredibly easy it will be to infringe on company's fair use rights because of how one company can stomp out the competition with just a slight slip up by them. Being able to actually black-list a domain because of one borderline infringement of copyright (since the laws on fair use just LOVE to be ignored by companies who want to go about squashing things that are related to their company in any way) with little real substiated evidence and thus forcing the black-listed domain to present the evidence needed to remove them from said black-list is just completely ridiculous. The amount of power that these bills will give to these large corporations that can just sling around money for legal teams is just staggering.