PDA

View Full Version : Do you start over when the CPU cheats?

psychicDB
12-19-2011, 04:39 PM
For my dynasties, I'm in love with the idea of never getting any second chances, i.e. every game matters and I can't just restart if I lose a game. It really increases the pressure to win for me. But lately I have found myself restarting my games a lot. Like the other day I was playing my Vandy dynasty on a OOC game with Texas. In the 3rd quarter I started a comeback with 3 unanswered TDs to tie the game. Texas punted on their next drive. Now with little time left in the 4th I'm going to try and lead a game-winning drive down the field. Then the CPU decides to cheat, and when I throw to a wiiiiide open receiver the safety, with his back turned to the QB and locked tight in man coverage with another receiver, turns around and picks off the ball. I just turned the game off in frustration. Then later when I went back to my dynasty I just simmed over and over until I "won" the game.

What do you think of starting over and/or simming when the CPU cheats? I feel like I'm breaking an unwritten law by restarting dynasty games.

keyser soze
12-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I would never start over for any reason outside of game freeze. I personally like it when the game cheats, those are the only good games I have after a couple of years of recruiting.

If the game "cheating" bothers you that bad cheat back by outsmarting it with play calling which is far too easy to do. We have a number of house rules in my OD which I don't break but I would lax on house rules before I would ever hit the reset button. The only times in the past where I use to actually consider resetting was during the year of the fumbles. If you fumbled early the fumble momentum meter would peg out or something and you were capable of fumbling 5+ times per quarter.... it was stupid. Other then that (which was something that you totally could do nothing about) I have never considered hitting the reset. Some of my near losses because of cpu "cheating" are my most cherish-able wins!

steelerfan
12-19-2011, 04:54 PM
I think you need to learn how to lose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

psychicDB
12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I think you need to learn how to lose.

So if the Steelers were about to win the Super Bowl against the Packers with a long TD pass as the time expired, and a Packers player came off the bench and ran onto the field and intercepted the ball, and somehow none of the officials noticed or call it, and the Packers won, would you just accept it? Would you tell your fellow fans they need to "learn how to lose?"

I lose all the time. I have no problem with losing whatsoever. It's just that there's a difference between when the other team outplays you and when the other team simply cheats.

steelerfan
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I've played 3 seasons with the Steelers on Madden 12 and I haven't even eached the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I should hit reset.

I'm not going to argue with you. If you only want people to agree with you, don't ask.

psychicDB
12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
I've played 3 seasons with the Steelers on Madden 12 and I haven't even eached the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I should hit reset.

I'm not going to argue with you. If you only want people to agree with you, don't ask.

Jeez, what's with the attitude? I'm not just looking for people to agree with me, I just wanted to get a discussion going because I don't feel right about restarting. I thought the first guy had a great post. I don't know why you have such a hostile attitude. I apologize if there was something in my original post that angered you so much.

steelerfan
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm not being hostile, bro. I just don't ever see any reason to reset. Ever.

psusnoop
12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Losing adds character and even
If I feel the CPU cheats then so be it.

JeffHCross
12-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Back in 2003, I went through a phase where I refused to lose with my Ohio State Buckeyes to the CPU. Especially to Iowa, who was nowhere near competitive to our team, but just had my number. That completely ruined that edition of NCAA for me, for quite a while. Since then, I've learned two things: Accept defeat; don't play with your favorite team. The latter makes the former much easier. :D

psusnoop
12-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Back in 2003, I went through a phase where I refused to lose with my Ohio State Buckeyes to the CPU. Especially to Iowa, who was nowhere near competitive to our team, but just had my number. That completely ruined that edition of NCAA for me, for quite a while. Since then, I've learned two things: Accept defeat; don't play with your favorite team. The latter makes the former much easier. :D

Lol, makes sense :nod:

SOBAY310
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
I never reset, nor do I ever call the CPU a cheater. It already knows what play I'm running, how could it cheat even more? haha. I actually enjoy losing, it keeps me motivated to continue playing.

MadScientist06
12-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm with SOBAY310: Losing keeps me motivated to continue playing.

steelerfan
12-28-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm with SOBAY310: Losing keeps me motivated to continue playing.

Agreed.

I haven't won the MNC since NCAA 10 and even then it was in an OD with sliders that were too easy for me. That doesn't bother me in the least. I want winning to be tough. I want it to feel like an accomplishment.

In my most recent season, as Notre Dame, I lost just 1 game. That was to a terrible Wake Forest team that finished 3-9. I went to their place and got whipped, 31-13.

That loss made me want to play another season that much more. If I had run the table, I would have been far less motivated to play the next season.

SeanOats
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Online, never restart. Offline, you're damn right I restart!

sl8b
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
This is a site that has a core group of guys that are straight players, and would be embarrassed if they won the MNC every year. You'll have an extremely tough time getting any replies other than, "restart? no freakin way". It's your game though, and you should do whatever gives you enjoyment my friend! Not judging you, but I wouldn't consider resetting. If I ever did, I would sim until I got the loss.

In Madden 11, I won the Super Bowl in year one with the Falcons (my favorite team, who I always play with) and it killed the game for me. When I did start playing again, it wasn't as fun because I wasn't chasing the elusive ring for Atlanta. I also upped the sliders for the cpu.

This year, same thing happened to me in my South Carolina dynasty. I got lucky to beat Bama in the SECC, then blew out Boise in the MNC game. Now I'm rolling with UConn, and haven't had that problem yet. I want to win it all, but only when I know my team is legit enough to get it done. Gameplay wise, I love both of the '12 games, but it seems the cpu hates beating the user! What's crazy, is, I am not a good player. I'm pretty good, but not good enough to run the table in the SEC with a B team.

novadolla
01-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Restarting is not realistic, and to say the cpu cheats is just a sorry excuse. Can you please explain how the cpu cheats cause i have not seen this

JeffHCross
01-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Can you please explain how the cpu cheats cause i have not seen thisIt is by no means an absolute that the CPU "cheats", but over the years plenty of people, both casual and hardcore alike, have been frustrated by the perception that the CPU is given advantages to either keep a game close or preserve a win. Things like "Robo QB", "Robo HB", the CPU's completion percentage going drastically up at the end of the game, a shut-down defense's sudden inability to stop anything, a sieve defense's sudden ability to stop everything, etc. You'll also see this referred to as "getting EA'd". Personally, I don't subscribe to the theory; I'm pretty sure that Michigan wanted to reset their game against Appalachian State numerous times. But I can also see how players could perceive their game going unexpectedly as "cheating".

illwill10
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I dont even like calling Zone D(besides in RZ) because CPU QBs ALWAYS find someone in the coverage. It doesnt matter how good my defenders are, the CPU will find it. At least with running Man, it is the matchup that decides if the player gets open.
What is Robo HB.
Butm I will never reset a game. Once I start it, I want to finish it. Even If I have to leave, I will sim it to the end. It would be wasted time to just reset and do it again.

JeffHCross
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
What is Robo HB.It's the same idea as Robo QB ... an HB becomes unstoppable late in the game, when the CPU needs him to be effective. A byproduct of the Rubberband AI effect that may/may not have existed in previous versions (or the current version), depending on who you asked and what they believed.

Jayrah
01-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I never start over. But I play a lot of seasons of OD. The good seasons are best when you haven't cheated to attain them. Also losing to a cheating cpu builds a rivalry in my mind, so next season I go to demolish them. USC cpu cheats ALL THE TIME!!!! I get mad, move on to the next game, and then feel really good when I beat them. I've always contended the cpu cheats with highly rated teams.

But the other thing I would say is that if you got intercepted, you gotta redefine your "wide open receiver". Part of the fun is adapting to the game's ability to do slightly unrealistic things.

AND I WOULD NEVER SIM TO A WIN if I was supposed to lose

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm not being hostile, bro. I just don't ever see any reason to reset. Ever.

It's funny to see a thread about this. I think that once I wrapped my mind around the fact that the computer doesn't really cheat, I stopped ever resetting. I reset in my solo dynasty on the '11 game, but never when we played in our OD. But slowly I came around to the fact that as ridiculous as a lot of this stuff seems to be, it happens. So I quit resetting on the '11 game and haven't at all on the '12. For those who do think the game cheats, look at my Badgers in real life this year! Back to back game ending hail mary passes after Wisconsin drove in the last 3 minutes for the lead, one of them ended as a volleyball match. I saw PJ Hill cough up the ball 4 or 5 times one game in real life and then his replacement cough it up the first time he was put in. Same thing with players sucking for most of the game only to put together a miracle game winning drive. Most people don't look at a comeback win for themselves as being similar to a comeback win for the computer. They view it as the computer cheating. How many plays have been made for you by the computer in games that were crazy? It really comes down to which end of the game you come out on. That is the great thing about college football, you never know what is going to happen!

steelerfan
01-18-2012, 09:58 AM
It's funny to see a thread about this. I think that once I wrapped my mind around the fact that the computer doesn't really cheat, I stopped ever resetting. I reset in my solo dynasty on the '11 game, but never when we played in our OD. But slowly I came around to the fact that as ridiculous as a lot of this stuff seems to be, it happens. So I quit resetting on the '11 game and haven't at all on the '12. For those who do think the game cheats, look at my Badgers in real life this year! Back to back game ending hail mary passes after Wisconsin drove in the last 3 minutes for the lead, one of them ended as a volleyball match. I saw PJ Hill cough up the ball 4 or 5 times one game in real life and then his replacement cough it up the first time he was put in. Same thing with players sucking for most of the game only to put together a miracle game winning drive. Most people don't look at a comeback win for themselves as being similar to a comeback win for the computer. They view it as the computer cheating. How many plays have been made for you by the computer in games that were crazy? It really comes down to which end of the game you come out on. That is the great thing about college football, you never know what is going to happen!

I remember joking with someone, after the Wisconsin-MSU game, that people would call the game broken if that happened in NCAA. :D

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
I remember joking with someone, after the Wisconsin-MSU game, that people would call the game broken if that happened in NCAA. :D

I had the same thing happen in NCAA '12 this year. Ball bounced off two of my players and in to the CPUs hands in the back of the EZ for their TD. For those who really watch college football and really love to play the game, they see the similarities. Everyone's favorite team gets a bad bounce in real life and in the game.

JeffHCross
01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
I remember joking with someone, after the Wisconsin-MSU game, that people would call the game broken if that happened in NCAA. :DOr the entire Appalachian State-Michigan game, James Madison-Virginia Tech game, etc. Chaminade vs Virginia.

ram29jackson
01-25-2012, 05:44 AM
naw I dont reset, gotta finish games and see how far/deep you go in a dynasty. If anything, I'll sim to end to move on to some other game LOL

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 06:00 AM
I never reset. As I'm doing a dynasty report for my FIU dynasty, and am typing up, essentially, drive by drive summaries of the action as the game goes on, restarting in the middle of a game just because of some CPU BS would be a complete and total waste of any of my time that I had already put into that game. I just deal with it and move on.

Besides, as has been pointed out in recent posts, stuff has happened at real life games that would have people sitting on here going on about "cheese", so it's semi-realistic in the end, plus even if I end up losing in the end due to the CPU BS, a loss makes the season, and therefore the dynasty/dynasty report itself, more fun and interesting as the losses add up over the course of the season.

WarEagle
01-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Probably going to disappoint a recent aquaintence (Steelerfan) but I just quit to reset my first game...w/ 0:02 on the clock in the BCS game. However, this isn't the normal "CPU cheated me all game long" post. It did, however cheat with what must be a game glitch as opposed to psychic-DBs or trampoline LBs.

Background...(and for full disclosure I'm still playing '11, having not wanted to venture into '12 with all the negative game-play issues I've read, and I just went wireless in my place for the 1st time so playing now with whatever downloads came out; but this thread is about re-setting) I'm UCLA (second dynasty season after playing 30+ w/ another team, playing on A-A w/ same sliders), living on the edge all season winning some games 21-17, some -- inexplicably -- over good teams 42-14, and others like a shootout in season-ender vs USC 48-42 on last minute TD. Rose to #1 (???WTH???) passing an upset #2 Wis. squad (can't remember to who) and over a then-#1 Alabama squad loaded w/, well, we all know how the game views A+ Bama in the early years of a dynasty.

I cannot score in the BCS game against the Tide for anything; well, almost true offensively. However, I had 3 pick-6's (I was shocked; and remember, I had sliders on and had been playing with same tweaked/toughened House Rules set up for my seemingly unbeatable other dynasty) and found myself up, 37-35, after several FGs and 1 offensive TD late in 4th.
My ball around midfield, clock winding down, I try 3 running plays -- CPU Bama calls time-outs after ea. play -- and am left w/ 4th & 2 on their 40. AI wants me to try 57yd FG but I decide to punt hoping to pin them deep with less than 1:20 remaining, and no timeouts. Great punt, out of bounds at the 12. Clock: 1:12.
They've been torching me every other series it seemed but w/ my pick-6s I thought I could muster up one final stop. Stopped 1st pass, but 2nd down they loft a Rt sideline pass caught for like 30 yards. Run up to line and spike.
Yada, yada, yada, they move downfield -- w/ spikes to stop clock-- pretty easily actually, inside of my 10 and I'm thinking "I'm doomed" but their next play they RUN the ball, I stop them, and they call timeout. Now, I'm pretty distracted so don't catch what y'all are probably thinking, so we play on. There's 8 sec. remaining, 2nd and goal, and they RUN IT AGAIN! That's it, I've got'em!!!! But with 0:02 on the clock, they call time-out.
I'm smart enough -- this time, barely -- to finally see what just happened. I exit the game.
Torch me, beat me, squeak by me. I'll take the heartbreaking loss. This exact thread was in my head when I was thinking about accepting the defeat. Heck, other than my INTs, they outplayed me. But when the CPU gives the opposition TWO time-outs it didn't have to ensure at least a game-winning FG attempt...that's too much, IMO, to accept.

NOTE: replayed game Mon. night. Perhaps b/c of playing the reset game almost to its conclusion, it was a defensive struggle. Bama marched down for opening drive TD, shut me down in 3 quick plays. Next series, I score a flying user Big Hit in backfield on all-world HB (who finished with 162 yds) and he fumbles, CB scoops up and returns for TD. 28 seconds later -- thanks to a blitz tip (for '12 no less) I picked up on YouTube over wknd -- I pressure QB and he tosses a late throw to a check-down, pick-6!. I go on to score only offensive TD of game in 2nd qtr, but Bama scores too. I also throw a pick in end zone on final play of half ruining chance to go up by 2 TDs or at least 10 pts (or even more knowing I was receiving 2nd half KO. shoulda played it safe, for the FG. Greedy). Defense all the way, both teams, in 2nd half, only 2 FGs for me but allows me to unleash every blitz I've learned recently though they still throw/catch with regularity (how many times can the CPU say "hit as he throws"?!), but they stall going for it on 4th down several times. I win 27-14.
Gotta admit, wasn't the same post-game 'championship' feeling after knowing I'd already played the game before.

steelerfan
01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh, WarEagle. :( :smh: :(

Remember the Colorado game with 5 downs? :D

Actually, I've never heard of that happening in any version of NCAA. I can understand being angry and hitting reset if that happened.

Razorjeff
02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I adhere to this simple Golden Rule: Only restart if you would be willing to restart after your own team did the same thing. Given the DB scenario the OP stated, I know I wouldn't reset if my safety got that INT.

Kansacity88
03-04-2012, 02:38 AM
I know I dont reset, but I have had the cpu quit on me a few times. I guess you could call it a game freeze but, I had a game against Michigan and was up 27-10 with 2 minutes left in the half. They threw a pick 6 and I went up 34-10. on the ensuing kickoff, the game froze up on me. I had to reset and replayed the game....won my a last second FG the second time around. Another game, I was whooping up on Nebraska (I had NIU and Tulsa respectively, by the way...) and was winning 35-21 with 1:43 left in the 4th. I decide to kneel it and then punt and run as much time off the clock and finish the game faster. My second kneel down....the game froze! Ended up losing the replay/rematch/reset by a TD 21-14! I think the cpu got frustrated with me! Oh well!