PDA

View Full Version : New ps3, odd graphics issue. help?

thecountries
12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
hi everyone.

i don't normally post on forums, but there is not evidence of my issue(s) on the net (that, or i have really, REALLY got to hone my google skills!) or on any forum that i could locate.

my husband and i recently received a ps3 from my brother who has had it about 6 months. i've played lots of gta4, red dead redemption, all of god of war 3, and various other games and demos with no problem. ncaa, however, is a thorn in our side. first of all, it freezes - a lot. we've probably played one game without having to restart. also, the field graphics are always either blank (navy blue, usually) or garbled. the rest of the graphics are stunning: players, stadium, etc. i can't imagine what this problem is. it seems the graphics card is fine due to the performance of other games, but we could be wrong.

i'm a total newbie as far as the ps3 goes (i'm still stuck on my ps2 and gta san andreas :) so i may need someone to walk me through this. any help would be appreciated -- and if you need any more info from us, i can surely provide it.

thank you in advance!

the.countries

cdj
12-05-2011, 07:18 AM
That sounds like a weird issue.

Here are a couple things to try:

- From the Cross Media Bar (main home/hub on the PS3), go to the Game tab and then Game Data Utility. In this folder, look for your NCAA Football 12 file (there should only be one). Hit Triangle and select info. My file is 259 MB and yours should be about the same. Hit Cirle, then Triangle again and delete this file. (This file is the game file that is installed to your hard drive when you first play the game and any game patches.)

After deletion, back out to the main screen (keep hitting Circle) and then select the NCAA Football 12 disc from the Game tab and fire up the game. You will be prompted to install game data and download game updates. Then try to play a game and see what happens.

Some other questions:

- Is your game doing a hard freeze (picture freezes, music stops) or a soft freeze (picture stops, music keeps playing)? Are you able to press the PS button in the middle of the controller and then quitting the game or do you have to hold the power button on the console to quit?

- Does your console have its original hard drive or did your brother put a new one in? I put a new hard drive in mine and it caused NCAA 11 to play with some slight hiccups (not freezing though) while all other games were fine. A different hard drive fixed that issue, but I think your problem is related to something else.

thecountries
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM
thank you SO much for your response! i will try out that game data utility thing (as soon as i finish my wifely chores haha) and post back as soon as i find out if it helps. as for the other questions:

- Is your game doing a hard freeze (picture freezes, music stops) or a soft freeze (picture stops, music keeps playing)? Are you able to press the PS button in the middle of the controller and then quitting the game or do you have to hold the power button on the console to quit? it's definitely a soft freeze, but i'm not able to use the PS button to quit. once, i was able to do that, but most recently it hasn't worked.

- Does your console have its original hard drive or did your brother put a new one in? I put a new hard drive in mine and it caused NCAA 11 to play with some slight hiccups (not freezing though) while all other games were fine. A different hard drive fixed that issue, but I think your problem is related to something else. i'm pretty sure it's the original hard drive.. my brother is not very tech savvy (plus, he just likes to play golf) but i'll ask him to be sure.

thanks again. i'll be back to post later today!

cdj
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Keep us posted.

I'd assume it's the original HD (most people never come close to filling one), but thought I would ask to be sure.