PDA

View Full Version : 2011-12 Coaching Carousel

Pages : 1 [2]

JBHuskers
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I just heard that IF they hired this guy it's comparable to the Huskers hiring Bill Callahan :D :fp: if so, I feel sorry for you guys.

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Also while PSU has yet to make an announcement this from New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft:

Jan. 06, 2012 10:48 a.m. - by Jim Rodenbush - Patriots owner Kraft on O'Brien: 'He's got integrity'
Patriots owner Robert Kraft, on the reported hire of OC Bill O’Brien to be the next head coach at Penn State: “Billy is a very high quality guy,” Kraft told the Boston Herald. “He’s got integrity. He’s honest, and I’m sad to see him go, but I think they’ve chosen wisely.”

So yes while nothing official things are really warming fast towards this being a done deal. Hard to think so many fires burning I'm finding it very hard not to think this is a done deal.

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I just heard that IF they hired this guy it's comparable to the Huskers hiring Bill Callahan :D :fp: if so, I feel sorry for you guys.

:smh:

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
also on the "if"

https://twitter.com/#!/OBrienPSU

OBrienPSU Bill O'Brien
I understand the frustration some may have here. You should know that I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tom Bradley.
2 hours ago

Bill O'Brien
OBrienPSU Bill O'Brien
Excited to get started, but remember that I have some business to finish here with New England.
2 hours ago

*Could be fake too :dunno:

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
That is funny though :D:D

psuexv
01-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm with you on the "IF" part I never said it was final or anything just to be clear.

Also I'm with you, while our "possible new coach" is calling said recruit the recruit can tell him to hang on a second Mr. Meyer asked for a drink of water. I mean it sounds all dandy that we have this technology that we can call, text, video chat with but nothing makes more of an impression on a recruit then an in home visit for the recruit and the parents. Something "possible new coach" just isn't going to have the time to do without messing up the game planning surrounding the Patriots run for a possible Championship.

So are you telling me that if you're a kid waiting to make a college decision, that if some coach that is coaching Tom Brady and with a possible shot at a Super Bowl that you wouldn't find that at all cool and understand that he isn't sitting in your living room? "Hey Jeremy, I'm glad you are thinking about Penn State and I've got a lot of cool things planned for this upcoming year. Being a smaller wide receiver I'd like to use you in the offense the same way that I use Wes Welker in the offense that I'm running now. I know I might not get to see you in person before you sign but hopefully that's because I'm coaching in the SUPER BOWL.. Oh and yes I'll let you touch my Super Bowl ring"

JBHuskers
01-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Word is the official announcement to come tomorrow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

steelerfan
01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Snoop, don't you remember Charlie Weiss being hired by ND in 04, then coaching at NE through the Super Bowl?

This isn't unprecedented.

As far as new coaches "every 6-10 years" - bullshit. It will be every 3-5, just like the Irish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
So are you telling me that if you're a kid waiting to make a college decision, that if some coach that is coaching Tom Brady and with a possible shot at a Super Bowl that you wouldn't find that at all cool and understand that he isn't sitting in your living room? "Hey Jeremy, I'm glad you are thinking about Penn State and I've got a lot of cool things planned for this upcoming year. Being a smaller wide receiver I'd like to use you in the offense the same way that I use Wes Welker in the offense that I'm running now. I know I might not get to see you in person before you sign but hopefully that's because I'm coaching in the SUPER BOWL.. Oh and yes I'll let you touch my Super Bowl ring"

As long as that is all he offers for you to touch :easy:

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Snoop, don't you remember Charlie Weiss being hired by ND in 04, then coaching at NE through the Super Bowl?

This isn't unprecedented.

As far as new coaches "every 6-10 years" - bullshit. It will be every 3-5, just like the Irish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

No I know this, but lets be honest here. Weis is and was carrying much more weight (no pun intended) on making a Telephone call work then a Bill O'Brein is. And given that PSU is and continues to lose recruits I just don't see how this will be at all "good" like Eric is painting the picture. I mean it's not only the recruits that need to be wowed it's also the parents as well. Sure a phone call might make you seem like a 10, but first impressions seal the deal especially with people that can be influenced easily. I mean most people that follow recruiting websites have belittled PSU and Joe for not making in home visits to seal the deal on recruits, now we want to just write it off again because we can make a few phone calls? Joe was doing this and it wasn't enough, but now because we have a new HC it is? (just to be clear I'm not sure Eric ever had an issue with Joe not making in home visits, I'm just referencing the scout boards in general)

Sure I know this is a one year situation with some different circumstances surrounding this hire (IF) but to just write it off as easily as Eric is mentioning it doesn't really make me feel any better about this years class. And again I wouldn't be worried about this years class but PSU has some needs and concerns (like all teams) and giving up this year in recruiting will only set things back and make it tougher on the new HC heading forward.

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
As long as that is all he offers for you to touch :easy:

OUCH :smh:

psuexv
01-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Yeah I don't agree with you at all. Joe not making in home visits was lazy. This guy not making in home visits is a completely different situation and a one time deal. He has another job and is sticking with his team. What kind of integrity does it show of him to abandon his team at the most crucial point of their season. It's not like he's the waterboy, he's the OC.

Personally if he called me up and was recruiting my son and said, I could have left the Pats right away and visited you in person, but I can't abandon my team in the playoffs. That would hold a lot of water for me.

psusnoop
01-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Once again while it sounds all good an stuff an Urban Meyer can be sitting in this families living room telling them everything they want to hear in person.

While I applaud him for sticking out his obligation with NE it still doesn't change the fact for one season that it doesn't hinder PSU's recruiting efforts. Which have been magnified by the recruits that have already left given the lengthy search for a HC and uncertainty surrounding this program.

JeffHCross
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Allowing him to finish coaching the playoffs?? WTF would be the point from PSU's standpoint.Maybe otherwise he wouldn't take the job, and for whatever reason they really want him.

I did find out (didn't know this previously) that Nick Saban did the same thing when he was on Belichick's staff in Cleveland. Stayed on for the playoffs and then went to Michigan State. That worked out pretty well for Sparty ;)

PSU fans need to realize that from here on out we are probably looking at 6-10 years for head coaches.6-10? Not likely in the short term. I'd put the over/under on O'Brien at 4, simply because he's the first coach following Joe Pa. (I'm agreeing with steelerfan, and you know how that makes me angry ;))

psuexv
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
6-10? Not likely in the short term. I'd put the over/under on O'Brien at 4, simply because he's the first coach following Joe Pa. (I'm agreeing with steelerfan, and you know how that makes me angry ;))

I guess what I was trying to say is that in today's game we aren't getting another 20-30 year coach. Fan's need to realize that.

SmoothPancakes
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
I guess what I was trying to say is that in today's game we aren't getting another 20-30 year coach. Fan's need to realize that.

In today's game and age, I don't think there is any such thing as a 20-30 year coach anymore. Those days are gone. 5-10-15 sure. But 20-30, nope. Those days ended and have left over this past decade with the old guard retiring, getting fired, or otherwise leaving.

psuexv
01-09-2012, 09:13 AM
In today's game and age, I don't think there is any such thing as a 20-30 year coach anymore. Those days are gone. 5-10-15 sure. But 20-30, nope. Those days ended and have left over this past decade with the old guard retiring, getting fired, or otherwise leaving.

Yep. The longest tenured now is probably Beamer I would assume.

psusnoop
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Yep. The longest tenured now is probably Beamer I would assume.

First quick glance that is correct, 1987 was his first season.

Troy coach Larry Blakeney is second, his first season was 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_coach es

psusnoop
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Joe is still Joe.

Even after being fired and fighting cancer him and his wife donate to PSU.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/01/paternos_gave_100k_to_penn_sta.html

Joe and Sue Paterno donated about $100,000 to Penn State University in December, just weeks after the 85-year-old legendary coach was fired following allegations that his longtime defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky, was sexually molesting boys.

The gifts were split between the Paterno Library and the Paterno Fellows program, each receiving $50,000, according to Jack Selzer, director of the fellows program.

It was also confirmed by other sources.

Over his 46 years as head coach, Paterno and his wife gave several significant gifts to Penn State, most notably to the library during campaigns to raise millions. The library extension, completed in the 1990s, was the result of Paterno's call for academics to be a number one priority for Penn State.

The Paterno's also gave a substantial initial contribution when the Paterno Fellows program started in 2008.

About a week after the Sandusky scandal unfolded, Paterno's family announced he had been diagnosed with lung cancer and was undergoing treatment. Since, they've said he's handling the treatment very well.

JeffHCross
01-09-2012, 03:04 PM

In today's game and age, I don't think there is any such thing as a 20-30 year coach anymore. Those days are gone. 5-10-15 sure. But 20-30, nope. Those days ended and have left over this past decade with the old guard retiring, getting fired, or otherwise leaving.I think 20-30 year coaches still exist, but you're certainly not going to roll the dice on that in the conditions Penn State's under right now. If it was your basic search under good conditions, you could hit on something like that. Brady Hoke has a good shot at being at least a 15 year coach for UM. If anything prevents him from being, it'd be his age. Same with Chris Petersen and Chip Kelly.

But with all the conditions and characteristics Penn State was looking for, the primary appearing to be no connection what-so-ever to Penn State, there was practically no way that they were going to roll a top coach. I don't think O'Brien lasts 5, and I don't think his leaving is going to be his choice. The odds are just stacked against him, in my opinion. I'm hoping otherwise, because I hope PSU got a good one; but I just don't see it lasting.

baseballplyrmvp
01-16-2012, 08:28 PM
university of washington just got a lot better and will be a major player in the next couple of years, by signing the cal d-line coach, tosh lupoi, to the same position, as well as defensive run game coordinator.

lupoi was ranked as rivals' national recruitor of the year, and has been the big reason why cal has landed several top california prospects.

JeffHCross
01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Seeing rumors on Twitter that Chip Kelly is going to be the Tampa Bay Bucs next head coach.

psuexv
01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Seeing rumors on Twitter that Chip Kelly is going to be the Tampa Bay Bucs next head coach.

Now the rumors are he's not.

psusnoop
01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Now the rumors are he's not.

I replied to this too, but my message ended up in the NFL thread lmao

cdj
01-26-2012, 10:35 AM
After Chip Kelly decided to stay at Oregon, it now sounds like Rutgers' Greg Schiano is heading to Tampa Bay. There may not be a worst time for a college coach to leave.

morsdraconis
01-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Damn, that's going to absolutely DEVASTATE Rutgers football. Wow.

gschwendt
01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Cristobal from FIU is the likely candidate if that happens... he was there from 01-03 I believe.

JBHuskers
01-26-2012, 12:41 PM
After Chip Kelly decided to stay at Oregon, it now sounds like Rutgers' Greg Schiano is heading to Tampa Bay. There may not be a worst time for a college coach to leave.

When is signing day? The 9th or so?

gschwendt
01-26-2012, 12:45 PM
When is signing day? The 9th or so?February 1.

JBHuskers
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Cristobal from FIU is the likely candidate if that happens... he was there from 01-03 I believe.

Another name being thrown around right now is Dolphins Special Teams Coach Darren Rizzi. He was on Schiano's staff for five years, and was the head man at Rhode Island before that.

psusnoop
01-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Terrible time for a coach to leave, here is to wishing PSU can sway a recruit or two from Rutgers :D

DariusLock
01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Wow 38-28 Ole Miss, we're last in the league shooting 3's but we're 6/6 tonight haha. Terrance Henry is finally starting to attack these last few games,

JBHuskers
01-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Wow 38-28 Ole Miss, we're last in the league shooting 3's but we're 6/6 tonight haha. Terrance Henry is finally starting to attack these last few games,

Look at the title of this thread :D

SmoothPancakes
01-26-2012, 09:04 PM
:D I just now noticed that after reading your post JB.

DariusLock
01-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I got wasted pretty quick when them 3's started going because I knew it was too good to be true. WAOM - We are Ole Miss :(.

gschwendt
01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Looks like Cristobal is officially going to Rutgers.

JBHuskers
01-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Just came in through the wire, Rutgers and Cristobal couldn't reach an agreement. Looks like interim Kyle Flood will get the gig.

SmoothPancakes
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Just came in through the wire, Rutgers and Cristobal couldn't reach an agreement. Looks like interim Kyle Flood will get the gig.

Thank you lord!

:)

psuexv
02-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Tressel to Akron supposedly. Announcement possibly at 10 am.

SmoothPancakes
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Tressel to Akron supposedly. Announcement possibly at 10 am.

From what I've heard, it's in an administrative position. Though it could be setting him up to jump right into the Akron head coach spot in 5 years after his show-cause penalty expires.

psuexv
02-02-2012, 08:51 AM
From what I've heard, it's in an administrative position. Though it could be setting him up to jump right into the Akron head coach spot in 5 years after his show-cause penalty expires.

Ahhh that would make sense

JeffHCross
02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
He's also an Akron alum, so it makes more sense there. Still awfully weird though.