PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 11: Pro Style Offense

cdj
07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?227-NCAA-Football-11-Pro-Style-Offense

NCAA Football playbook guru Anthony White has posted a new blog discussing the Pro Style offense (http://ncaafootball.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=ProBlog) in the game.

Offensive Styles: Pro Style Offense

Overview:

A Pro Style Offense for us is simply an offensive system that's used in college football that closely resembles those that are used in professional football. The majority of Pro Style Offenses want to be balanced on offense between the run and the pass. That doesn't necessarily mean they want to run half of the time and throw the other, but rather it means they want to do either whenever the situation calls for a run or pass. A downhill running game is also important to coaches who run a Pro Style Offense. Being able to run the ball helps control the time of possession as well as setting up the play action passing game.

Like any other offensive style there are differences from team to team on how they use their Pro Style Offense. Some teams like Wisconsin, Stanford, and Nebraska rely more on a strong power run game whereas other teams like USC, Arkansas, and Boise State feature high octane passing attacks. How a team uses its offense is all dictated by their personnel.

Another reason why some teams prefer the Pro Style Offense is for recruiting purposes. A coach can point out to a potential recruit that the Pro Style Offense can best prepare him for a potential career in professional football. The idea is that a Pro Style Offense is similar to what professional teams use; therefore a college player will be exposed to the same types of plays and terminology. In theory it also makes his transition to pro football easier and it gives pro scouts the chance to more easily evaluate and project if that player can play at the professional level.

Strategy:

As mentioned previously the key fundamental of the Pro Style Offense is to move the ball down the field and eat up the clock. In this type of style of offense, the ground game is the main ingredient. The key is to pound the ball vs. every front and know the right running play vs. these fronts. For the Pro Style Offense to succeed, the running back must be able to run the ball between the tackles. Once the power run game is established the offense will mix in play action and occasionally take some deep shots down the field looking for the big play. In a Pro Style Offense the quarterback usually lines up under center and many of the concepts they use closely resemble those in professional football that's played on Sundays.

Unlike the Spread Offense that many collegiate teams run in today's game which relies on speed and operating in open space, the Pro Style Offense is geared more towards a power based approach to move the ball. The Pro Style Offense with a strong offensive line and power running game will often try to wear down the opposing defense during the duration of the game. Speed can also be incorporated with the Pro Style Offense. Every offensive system has this element where they can use a variety of schemes to get their best players isolated in favorable matchups against the defense. The two plays below can be used to do just that.

Figure 1.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/1.jpg

Tar Heel Stick is a play that's used to isolate the tight end against a flat defender (usually outside linebacker or safety). On the backside of the play the twin receivers are stacked (B is stacked behind X) and the route combination of X's angled post and B's mini-curl creates a hi-lo concept that vertically stretches the defensive coverage.

Figure 2.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/2.jpg

UNC Post is another hi-lo concept that uses a corner post/curl combination to attack defensive coverages. The curl route by the X receiver is meant to hold the underneath defenders which creates an opening for Y's post route.

New Formations

The following one back sets are new to NCAA Football 11. These sets can be found in a variety of playbooks which was done based on our research of each team's offense.

I Form Tackle Over - An unbalanced power formation that brings the left tackle "over" to the strong side of the formation. The tackle provides added run strength which is key to opening running lanes for the ball carriers. Team playbooks that include this formation: FAU, LSU, Miami (FL), Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Stanford, Western Kentucky.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/3.jpg

Far Pro - The Far formation is an offshoot of the Spltback formation with the difference being the fullback is aligned directly behind the quarterback. The reason the formation is called Far is due to the position of the halfback's alignment. He's "Far" away from the tight end (#85). Team playbooks that include this formation: FAU and Pro Style

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/4.jpg

Strong I Twins Over - Similar to the I Form Tackle Over formation this is an unbalanced power formation that brings the left tackle "over" to the strong side of the formation. The main difference is this formation utilizes a second receiver instead of a tight end, the fullback (#22) Is also offset to the strong side. Team playbooks that include this formation: Cal and Miami (FL)

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/5.jpg

Shotgun Tight Flex - Is a four receiver formation that calls for the receivers on each side of the formation to align in tight with their receiver splits. The tight receiver splits allow for pass routes that naturally create picks and rubs against man coverage. Pass routes from this formation can also be used to vertically and horizontally stretch zones. Team playbooks that include this formation: Fresno State and Utah

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/6.jpg

Maryland I Heavy - Used in short yardage situations the Maryland I Heavy formation uses two fullbacks aligned in three point stance along with a halfback (#22) who's dotting the I. This variation of the Maryland I formation is unique to the Michigan State playbook. *There are other Maryland I variations in other team playbooks

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/7.jpg

Goal Line Power I - Used by some Pro Style offense teams as their Goal Line formation, the Power I is similar to the Maryland I in that it uses two fullbacks and halfback who are all aligned in the backfield. The difference between the two formations is one of the fullbacks is aligned in a offset position (#27). Team playbooks that include this formation: Georgia, Penn State, TCU, and Virginia Tech.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/8.jpg

In addition to these formations we've added numerous concepts and plays for the Pro Style offense. Our goal was to give our users enough tools in their toolbox to make this type of offense a viable one to use in Dynasty and Play Now games.

beartide06
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Great post. I really love the additions in this style of offense. It's also nice to see a different goal line formation rather than the traditional one that's been in the game forever lol. Now I am excited to her about the run and shoot!

JBHuskers
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah Anthony White has done a great job with these formation blogs this year.

Solidice
07-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Maryland I as it's own formation, Power I as a goal line formation. man I wish custom playbooks were in. :(

I'm curious to see the San Diego State and Maryland playbooks are like as I'll be using both of them in 11(Maryland in an OD here, and SDSU in my single player OD).

HawkFan
07-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah Anthony White has done a great job with these formation blogs this year.

I agree, these blogs have been amazing, and for all it's worth pretty informative and right on the money everytime.

JBHuskers
07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I agree, these blogs have been amazing, and for all it's worth pretty informative and right on the money everytime.

Yeah the chats we had with him at the Community Day and NFL Draft were really good. He put in a lot of work into getting these playbooks where they are this year.

psusnoop
07-01-2010, 06:38 PM
The time and stuff Anthony has put into these are very much appreciated. Nice work Anthony!

C00KH4X
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Great SG Tight Flex is in the game, one of my favorite madden formations.

Kwizzy
07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I agree the blogs are well done but I'm a little confused why the added a formation to Nebraska's offense that I have never seen them run. I have a feeling our playbook is going to be a little too traditional power run oriented.

That would be fine for last year but our offense towards the end of last year & into the spring has moved to more of a spread power run game with an emphasis on the QB run game (see the Holiday bowl vs Arizona). I'll be a little disappointed if that's not really reflected all that well. Not a huge deal, I can just use another playbook, but slightly disappointing.

Jayrah
07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I feel like the end of this playbook was finally capped the blog. The other playbook blogs just simply showed the formations. However this time we got who has the play, and what the formation does differently. Great stuff Anthony!

Deuce
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
The playbook blogs are nice. A boatload of new plays/formations.

morsdraconis
07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I feel like the end of this playbook was finally capped the blog. The other playbook blogs just simply showed the formations. However this time we got who has the play, and what the formation does differently. Great stuff Anthony!

I agree. Definitely a nice change up.

I LOVE that Maryland I - Heavy formation. That looks like FUN.

JeffHCross
07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Based on new formations, FAU is the early front runner to be my playbook ...

Iron Dragon
07-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I love the Maryland-I and the Far formation. Awesome.

razorback44
07-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Woah when I read this last night I completely missed the fact that the Maryland I was its own formation now. I drew Michigan State in an OD this year so I may actually use their playbook. It was a little lacking last season.

steelerfan
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I absolutely love to roll with the I-formation so (aside from the fact it had the most detail) this was easily the best style blog for me. Good stuff!

lilheavy
07-02-2010, 01:24 PM
:confused: I'm guessing they added more plays/concepts to these formations because I remember using most of them since 09

razorback44
07-02-2010, 03:50 PM
In most of the books in demo it seems like they have added a lot of new plays. Now who knows if that will hold true when I check out the Louisiana Tech book or the Eastern Michigan book but so far so good in my opinion.

CLW
07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Nice blog. Looking forward to seeing how these different styles of play work out.