PDA

View Full Version : Sliders and Difficulty Testing

Rudy
10-15-2011, 06:54 AM
It's my personal feeling that EA does little to test their sliders and difficulty settings in either football game. If they did they might notice the cpu kickers on Heisman attempting ridiculously long FGs they have no chance to make. EA might notice that the sliders were shipped broken in the past for NCAA. The fact that both the Madden and NCAA teams don't add enough sliders to their game (NCAA still refuses to add fumble, injury and fatigue sliders while Madden has idiotically omitted human/cpu special teams sliders) just leads me to believe everyone on their dev teams plays a similar difficulty (All-Pro or AA) and makes no slider adjustments. It also leads me to believe the Madden team hates missing FGs because their system is SO easy this year and you can't fix it.

EA needs to do a lot more in terms of slider and difficulty level testing when building the game. Every time I ask about the sliders for community day events nobody ever does much testing on them. I understand the time constraints but why not invite a slider guru to a community day event to really go over the stuff. I'm not a big fan of Playmaker but he could do some good things if invited. Same with Gotmadskillz. Does EA invite crappy or young gamers in to test the lower difficulty levels? They could bring in their nephews or nieces to play the game. What about getting elite gamers to come in and test out the high levels? Madden's sliders are frustrating this year. Nobody even knows if the difficulty level matters when creating a slider set. It appears the sliders and difficulty levels are all one master set. They have a 100 point slider system which is nice but the sliders are so weak that you can't fix some of the mistakes. Why on earth should I have to bump cpu run block to 100? That's a 50 click increase and yet it still isn't good enough in Madden. I have to drop pass reaction to 0 to help both the cpu and my passing game. At 0 WRs should be wide open on virtually every play and yet the game doesn't play this way at all.

EA's football games have always played very poorly out of the box for me. I honestly don't care how the game plays out of the box but you have to make the sliders work better so I can fine-tune the game the way I want. EA has often failed in this regard. My biggest frustration with NCAA 12 was that I felt I had to go to Heisman to get the cpu not to play brain dead but the human passing game was too difficult for me. I couldn't fix it. I don't think EA really factored in how much the improved zone defences would make the lousy passing gamer struggle and get frustrated. They need to bring back the old knockdown slider so we can personally tune the LB and DB swats.

jaymo76
10-15-2011, 07:43 PM
The problem with EA's sliders is the philosophy behind them. EA has minor modifications in mind with their sliders. Personally, I want to see sliders either on steroids or on anti-depressants. Make the slider effect EXTREME. If I put pass a ZERO I expect to see the ball go five yards and fall incomplete. If I put the slider at 100 I expect to see every single ball thread the needle.

Rudy
10-15-2011, 08:35 PM
The problem with EA's sliders is the philosophy behind them. EA has minor modifications in mind with their sliders. Personally, I want to see sliders either on steroids or on anti-depressants. Make the slider effect EXTREME. If I put pass a ZERO I expect to see the ball go five yards and fall incomplete. If I put the slider at 100 I expect to see every single ball thread the needle.

I totally agree. Use a 100 point slider system and this would give you a ton of control to fine-tune the game.

steelerfan
10-16-2011, 12:47 AM
I actually did play 12 with my 11 sliders back in May. The thing you have to remember about messing with them at those events is that you can't get enough games in to know how well they work. I'm all for more sliders. More sliders, more penalties, and a special teams overhaul are probably the things I'd like to see most for 13 (aside from just having everything work properly, of course).