PDA

View Full Version : Streaming question -> Feasibility of ditching cable TV

AustinWolv
09-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Half-considering ditching U-Verse TV in order to save money (really like U-Verse otherwise). If I just got Internet service (which definitely is a must-have....:D ), I could cut my bill by over 50%.

Could get Roku boxes and appears that we could get most, if not all, the shows we watch via Hulu Plus, Amazon, Netflix......just a combo of two of those should hit all we need and we already got Netflix. I really don't watch that much live TV and some shows are really just timefillers that I wouldn't bother watching or paying for individually if they weren't included in current cable package. I've only briefly looked, but it looks like the shows that my wife and I watch together are covered by the above streaming sources as well as the shows she watches. Buying/renting the shows we watch or just having a monthly Hulu Plus account would be FAR cheaper than paying for regular cable TV every month.

However, the sticking point so far is Michigan football..........for the games on ESPN/ABC, I can get those via ESPN3 over Xbox Live, but the problem is the games that are aired on Big10 Network (BTN)..........they don't have streaming online unless you have a cable provider via their btn2go.com service. Blah.
Haven't found a good solution yet on a football site I visit from people that have done the same, other than just go to a bar or find a friend with cable that could give me their login for the BTN2GO online streaming extension.

Anyone that has gone streaming only at home that has advice?

Thanks in advance.

morsdraconis
09-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Well, there are directions to go for those games after the fact that aren't too horrible through torrents and things.

AustinWolv
09-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah, that is the unfortunate thing I'm finding.....

souljahbill
09-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I've considered this option and if I weren't married, I'd do it but my wife needs access to her shitty reality shows so we need to keep U-Verse (which I REALLY love btw).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gschwendt
09-28-2011, 09:02 PM
If it weren't for live sports, I'd be all over it.

AustinWolv
09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
I've considered this option and if I weren't married, I'd do it but my wife needs access to her shitty reality shows so we need to keep U-Verse (which I REALLY love btw).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you on that. It appears most of them are on the streaming services though. I hate those damn shows.....the ultimate stupid TV.