PDA

View Full Version : Are you tired of being sacked/pressured by DTs?

gschwendt
09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
So... I started to write this as an infomercial, maybe even create a clever video for it or something but decided just to tell you.

If you're experiencing a lot of sacks and/or pressure in the passing game, particularly from DTs that seem to get nearly instant pressure, use the QB auto-dropback. Sincerely, it makes a dramatic difference in the game with DTs being blocked similar to NCAA11 and years past.

For ages, I've always used a manual dropback, mostly similar to the same pattern an auto-dropback would, but all the while, I felt I had more control over my QB when I'd manually do it. This year, I of course took the same tactic but I've also been taking 5-7 sacks per game and even the passes I do get off, are often extremely pressured. Last night in practice mode, I started toying around with the auto-dropback and it makes a remarkable difference. I assume it is similar to when running the ball, the moment you hit the sprint button, defenders seem to instantly come off their blocks... in this case, the moment you start moving the QB around, DTs seem to instantly come off their blocks.

Obviously DTs and DEs can still make the occasional play and blitzes still have a chance to hit home, but nowhere near the pressure I was seeing before. I just finished a user game against psusnoop and while he had two sacks, they were both either coverage sacks or blitzing pressure that hit home.

If anyone would like to see it, I'd be happy to put together a video showcasing the differences... at this point I'm 99% certain it's more than a placebo effect but would entertain discussion otherwise.

bdoughty
09-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Well played sir. I saw the title and images of Ron Popeil popped into my head.

Pig Bomb
09-27-2011, 12:19 AM
thanks!!

psusnoop
09-27-2011, 07:01 AM
I tried it out the whole 4th quarter of the game and I gotta admit, not only did it make sense when G was telling me about it but it really did work and feel more natural as well.

I'm a huge video guy so I wouldn't mind even seeing some tape on this G when you get time.

JBHuskers
09-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Infomercial?

Maybe you should get this guy to do one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubCkCAEiDQ

JBHuskers
09-27-2011, 08:36 AM
My guess on the auto dropback, pure guess, is that if you happen to move out of that pocket just slightly, it seems like the OL gives up and gets beat easier. Do you step into your throws though at all Tommy? That's why I prefer the manual method. I guess you probably can do it with a little timing, but that's going to be a hard habit to break.

gschwendt
09-27-2011, 08:54 AM
My guess on the auto dropback, pure guess, is that if you happen to move out of that pocket just slightly, it seems like the OL gives up and gets beat easier. Do you step into your throws though at all Tommy? That's why I prefer the manual method. I guess you probably can do it with a little timing, but that's going to be a hard habit to break.I don't "step" with my throws but I have been aiming them (ie up to throw high, etc.) Really though, it's not all that hard of a habit to break... I've been doing the manual dropback for years and thought as well that it would be hard to adjust but it really hasn't been. Once you learn that you can trust your OL a little bit more, it's easy to make the change.

As well, since you're no longer looking at your OL, you just check for a blitz, then read downfield. This year I got in the bad habit of watching my OL trying to figure out where the leak would come from, then making my reads. Invariably I would either miss a receiver that got open early or I'd make a rushed read just to get the ball out.

JBHuskers
09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
I'll have to give that a whirl. Especially in CPU games with the :1star: schools, there are some games where I feel like Jay Cutler out there.

psusnoop
09-27-2011, 09:07 AM
I'll have to give that a whirl. Especially in CPU games with the :1star: schools, there are some games where I feel like Jay Cutler out there.

Isn't that the truth.

I was able to step up in the pocket and make a couple of throws. Albeit my QB is a true freshman and 68ovr but it felt a ton better. I felt like I could get through my reads quicker. I'm looking forward to my next few games to really test this out but after the quarter I played of using it it was fun.

keyser soze
09-27-2011, 01:37 PM
So... I started to write this as an infomercial, maybe even create a clever video for it or something but decided just to tell you.

If you're experiencing a lot of sacks and/or pressure in the passing game, particularly from DTs that seem to get nearly instant pressure, use the QB auto-dropback. Sincerely, it makes a dramatic difference in the game with DTs being blocked similar to NCAA11 and years past.

For ages, I've always used a manual dropback, mostly similar to the same pattern an auto-dropback would, but all the while, I felt I had more control over my QB when I'd manually do it. This year, I of course took the same tactic but I've also been taking 5-7 sacks per game and even the passes I do get off, are often extremely pressured. Last night in practice mode, I started toying around with the auto-dropback and it makes a remarkable difference. I assume it is similar to when running the ball, the moment you hit the sprint button, defenders seem to instantly come off their blocks... in this case, the moment you start moving the QB around, DTs seem to instantly come off their blocks.

Obviously DTs and DEs can still make the occasional play and blitzes still have a chance to hit home, but nowhere near the pressure I was seeing before. I just finished a user game against psusnoop and while he had two sacks, they were both either coverage sacks or blitzing pressure that hit home.

If anyone would like to see it, I'd be happy to put together a video showcasing the differences... at this point I'm 99% certain it's more than a placebo effect but would entertain discussion otherwise.

LOL, this makes sense. After talking to my OD partner who was throwing MUCH better then I was he told me that he allows the CPU to drop the QB back. I tried this and found that I did better. However, I attributed it to my eyes looking more downfield and less at my QB. I never thought that it could effect the pass rush but I bet you are totally right here.

Very nice find, thanks for sharing!

AustinWolv
09-27-2011, 02:15 PM

I'll give it a shot too, as I've been checking for DL slipping by all too often as well.

keyser soze
09-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Anyone know if this has any impact on the RUNNING GAME? Looking back I do think it helps on the option game to keep your hands OFF the QB control for as long as possible but I have never tested anything.

DariusLock
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Sucks EA makes you play their game a certain way and not the way you want to in order for their game to be playable...

gschwendt
12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I think it's a side-effect of the no-suction blocking. I'm betting that the quick-release from blocking for DL was added to help prevent scrambling QBs and then in years past, they would be picked back up again by a blocker if the QB wasn't actually scrambling. Unfortunately this year, with no suction, they don't get picked back up as often as the past so it results in more free-reign for the DL, DTs especially.

ram29jackson
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
just staying between tackles- in the pocket, helps-... I really dont understand the the possible help or efficiency of aggressive or pinch blockingthough, if there is any ?

DariusLock
12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I usually do try to stay in the pocket, playing with FIU can't help.