PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback - September-November 2011

Rudy
09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
For awhile I never realized that hyperlinks were indicated by bold print. I think it should stand out more by also being underlined or at least a different colour from black. I'd like to be able to tell the difference from bold text and linked text. Just my two cents.

JeffHCross
09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
For awhile I never realized that hyperlinks were indicated by bold print. I think it should stand out more by also being underlined or at least a different colour from black. I'd like to be able to tell the difference from bold text and linked text. Just my two cents.We tried that before, but it causes issues with the formatting of the front page, if memory serves. Basically, the front page would become one massive underlined page.

morsdraconis
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
We tried that before, but it causes issues with the formatting of the front page, if memory serves. Basically, the front page would become one massive underlined page.

It's fine the way it is, in my opinion. It's fairly easy to tell if something is hyperlinked or not (mouse of it and you can tell) and, for the color setup of the site, it looks terrible to use anything else for the front page and since there appears to be no way to separate the front page formatting from the normal forum formatting, you're pretty much stuck with trying to find something that works well while taking both into account.

JeffHCross
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
It's fine the way it is, in my opinion. It's fairly easy to tell if something is hyperlinked or not (mouse of it and you can tell)I agree, though Rudy's statement about not knowing for quite a while does make it worthy of discussion. It may not be obvious to new site users.

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I can see both sides of it. For me personally, it's fine the way it is. But from the other angle, looking at my FIU dynasty for example. I have every game that I have posted hyperlinked to my schedule post for that season, each schedule post for each season hyperlinked to my main dynasty history post, I have my individual games and biggest win/loss hyperlinked in my Coach Statistics post.

If someone hasn't known that already, or hasn't read the post that I edited into to my first post of the thread detailing what I'm hyperlinking, they might not ever know. It'll just look like I used bold on them.

bdoughty
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Is there a setting or something I could change to keep my account logged on? My sessions time out real quickly and if I make a post with more than three sentences I have to copy and paste because I know I will be logged out when I hit send.

gschwendt
09-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Is there a setting or something I could change to keep my account logged on? My sessions time out real quickly and if I make a post with more than three sentences I have to copy and paste because I know I will be logged out when I hit send.If you sign in at the top, if you check the "Remember Me" box, it should remember you. I never have to sign in unless it's to confirm any of my admin duties or something.

bdoughty
09-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks, I have never used that option on any site since all my cookies, etc are cleared when I close down a browser. Will give it a shot.

SmoothPancakes
09-08-2011, 07:39 PM
I've found a problem. It's September. http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/SmoothPancakes/Smilies/e133062.gif

morsdraconis
09-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Has there been any progress on the possibility of getting an ignore user function for the forums (or am I missing it and it's already there)? Posts with people just straight up railing on EA/people that still enjoy NCAA/Madden are just getting completely out of hand again. I may dislike both games (and I definitely do), but there's really no reason to say some of the things that these imbeciles are saying.

gschwendt
09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Has there been any progress on the possibility of getting an ignore user function for the forums (or am I missing it and it's already there)? Posts with people just straight up railing on EA/people that still enjoy NCAA/Madden are just getting completely out of hand again. I may dislike both games (and I definitely do), but there's really no reason to say some of the things that these imbeciles are saying.Go to a user's profile page and on the left side is the option to ignore. You'll still see their post if someone quotes them.

morsdraconis
09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Go to a user's profile page and on the left side is the option to ignore. You'll still see their post if someone quotes them.

Thanks Tommy. That works for me.

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Is there something that can be done about these spammers? Including two this morning, looking at all the threads I have reported, we're up to 10 spam threads since last Wednesday. I'm sure there have been even more that I wasn't online during the times they were posted. This is beginning to get ridiculous lately.

gschwendt
09-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Is there something that can be done about these spammers? Including two this morning, looking at all the threads I have reported, we're up to 10 spam threads since last Wednesday. I'm sure there have been even more that I wasn't online during the times they were posted. This is beginning to get ridiculous lately.Agreed... it's getting quite annoying. I've made some minor modifications that could slow it down but we'll see... just depends on if they're using actual people to register or if they're using bots that can read. We'll see.

Part of the problem though is that yahoo added "@ymail.com" as legit email addresses so all of these recent spammers are using those email addresses. Generally if a group comes through sporting the same @ email address, we'll block that one but obviously yahoo/ymail is a little bit trickier. We'll see what happens but if it continues, then we'll have no choice.

bdoughty
09-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Is there something that can be done about these spammers? Including two this morning, looking at all the threads I have reported, we're up to 10 spam threads since last Wednesday. I'm sure there have been even more that I wasn't online during the times they were posted. This is beginning to get ridiculous lately.

it is just terrible I tell you (http://www.jacklinks.com/).

This post was brought to you by

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/2196-jack_link_s_or_premium_beef_jerky.jpg

JBHuskers
09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Peppered Jack Links FTW :up:

SmoothPancakes
09-13-2011, 02:09 AM
Mmm, Jack Links. :up:

ram29jackson
09-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Agreed... it's getting quite annoying. I've made some minor modifications that could slow it down but we'll see... just depends on if they're using actual people to register or if they're using bots that can read. We'll see.

Part of the problem though is that yahoo added "@ymail.com" as legit email addresses so all of these recent spammers are using those email addresses. Generally if a group comes through sporting the same @ email address, we'll block that one but obviously yahoo/ymail is a little bit trickier. We'll see what happens but if it continues, then we'll have no choice.

LOL should be considered a compliment shouldnt it ?

if youre not popular, they dont mess with you LOL

psuexv
10-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Anyone know of a way to multi-quote with Tapatalk?

gschwendt
10-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Anyone know of a way to multi-quote with Tapatalk?I doubt you'll find a way since Tapatalk is designed to support multiple message board formats, which a lot don't have a built-in multi-quote.

psuexv
10-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I doubt you'll find a way since Tapatalk is designed to support multiple message board formats, which a lot don't have a built-in multi-quote.

Thanks G. I take it we are waiting on November for a new Forum Feedback thread :D

oweb26
10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks G. I take it we are waiting on November for a new Forum Feedback thread :D

I never caught that.

gschwendt
10-20-2011, 01:01 PM
We're waiting until you fill up the quota for September's feedback... still a lot of work left for you guys.

DariusLock
10-21-2011, 12:51 PM
G about the hyperlinks not standing out....you can go in and edit the code on the forum and change it to a different color or something. If you can't figure it out you could send me the file that it's in and I'll fix it and let you try it out. I've edited and helped make custom forums with custom images and colors before. Could make it a different color to being with or make it turn gold or something when they hover.

JeffHCross
11-20-2011, 12:20 AM
G about the hyperlinks not standing out....you can go in and edit the code on the forum and change it to a different color or something.The primary problem is not getting it to stand out ... it's getting it to stand out while not making the front page a mess, since a significant amount of the front page is links.

This is probably just a case of me not noticing stuff since I haven't been around much lately, but I just came across a few posts with "Shopping link added by Skimwords" when I moused over a link in a post I knew I hadn't added. Wuzzat?

gschwendt
11-20-2011, 12:43 AM
This is probably just a case of me not noticing stuff since I haven't been around much lately, but I just came across a few posts with "Shopping link added by Skimwords" when I moused over a link in a post I knew I hadn't added. Wuzzat?Yeah... it's an under the hood thing. There are two things, skimlinks and skimwords. Both generate money (though currently what I've seen is really minor) but if you add a link to a product on Best Buy or some site like that, it will automatically tag it with our Skimwords tag and give us credit for it, similar to like Amazon. Skimlinks are like the underlined words that come out of nowhere to link to something, though I believe we only have that turned on for posts that are 6 months or older or something like that. (terms might be flip-flopped but you get the idea).

morsdraconis
11-20-2011, 06:37 AM
So, is the site still doing ok financially? I know we had a big boom of members with the release of '12, but then it seemed to die down again.