PDA

View Full Version : Really? a quake in Maryland? (Virginia earthquake)

skipwondah33
08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Mother of God...just went through an earthquake here in Maryland

psuexv
08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Mother of God...just went through an earthquake here in Maryland

Felt it in Central PA Skip... crazy. Wonder if Smooth had it in OH

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Felt it in Central PA Skip... crazy. Wonder if Smooth had it in OH

I haven't felt anything here in OH. Granted I live in NW Ohio, so they might have felt it in eastern OH. Not sure if it was big enough to reach all the way here up into NW Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

skipwondah33
08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
People in Tennessee felt it

psuexv
08-23-2011, 01:12 PM
I haven't felt anything here in OH. Granted I live in NW Ohio, so they might have felt it in eastern OH. Not sure if it was big enough to reach all the way here up into NW Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

Wasn't sure where you were. Word is they felt it in NYC and we definitely had about 10 seconds of it in Central Pa

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 01:14 PM
People in Tennessee felt it

Wasn't sure where you were. Word is they felt it in NYC and we definitely had about 10 seconds of it in Central Pa

Huh. Well, we didn't have anything up here where I am. I haven't felt a single thing all afternoon.

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Alright, based on USGS.gov, the earthquake was centered in Virginia, not too far to the NW of Richmond, which would make sense for people feeling it in Tennessee but I never noticed anything. And it looks like it was felt as far into Ohio as Columbus and Akron, but no reports of people feeling it beyond those portions of the state yet.

Nothingface
08-23-2011, 01:31 PM
freaky shit!!! I am scared shitless about earthquakes since i live above the san andreas fault. Hope everyone is ok.

Sinister
08-23-2011, 01:31 PM
shit i'm in western pa didn't even know it happened till coworker just told me when I came back from work.

bdoughty
08-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Word is Obama felt it in Massachusetts while putting on the 15th hole.

psusnoop
08-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Really crazy

Architekto
08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Yup felt in our building, lower Manhattan everything was moving, scary

jaymo76
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Rudy could answer better because he is closer BUT on the national news (Canada) this morning I heard the earthquake was felt outside of Toronto and Montreal.

morsdraconis
08-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Supposedly, it was felt in much of WV today, though I felt nothing.

JeffHCross
08-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Alright, based on USGS.gov, the earthquake was centered in Virginia, not too far to the NW of Richmond, which would make sense for people feeling it in Tennessee but I never noticed anything. And it looks like it was felt as far into Ohio as Columbus and Akron, but no reports of people feeling it beyond those portions of the state yet.Cleveland felt it during the Mariners-Indians game.

In fact, if you look at the reports coming in, it generally suggests that people who were at rest (at work in a chair, at home, etc) generally felt it. People who were out (in a car, walking) generally didn't. Whether or not you were in a structure seems to have made a big difference. It was a big deal at my work (we're some 80 miles from the epicenter), but some girl that was walking down the street didn't even notice.

ram29jackson
08-23-2011, 07:25 PM
we in California sympathize

ram29jackson
08-23-2011, 07:33 PM
a youtube vid from a local

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_nht7Zq8o

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Did this really need a new thread? :fp:

ram29jackson
08-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Did this really need a new thread? :fp:

quite frankly , yes. I dont see why not. Earthquakes are nothing to laugh at or take for granted. I am an adult and this was interesting news to me. I live in California and do not like them . So I have sympathy for anyone going through something very unusual.

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 07:53 PM
quite frankly , yes. I dont see why not. Earthquakes are nothing to laugh at or take for granted. I am an adult and this was interesting news to me. I live in California and do not like them . So I have sympathy for anyone going through something very unusual.

We've had ongoing earthquake discussion for since it happened earlier today in the Anything thread. It would make more sense to put this in there along with the ongoing commentary, rather than create an entirely new thread for some video from some dumb yahoo local.

ram29jackson
08-23-2011, 08:12 PM
We've had ongoing earthquake discussion for since it happened earlier today in the Anything thread. It would make more sense to put this in there along with the ongoing commentary, rather than create an entirely new thread for some video from some dumb yahoo local.

I saw the few comments..thats why I made this thread. An earthquake is not a laughable-anything-type topic to get lost in the shuffle. its more news worthy than that.

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 08:23 PM
I saw the few comments..thats why I made this thread. An earthquake is not a laughable-anything-type topic to get lost in the shuffle. its more news worthy than that.

Then how come there's not a new topic created for Hurricane Irene? How come there haven't been new topics created for every time this past spring that a tornado has flattened a town or community in the US? What about the Japan earthquake? The Chile earthquake? Those didn't deserve their own topics at the time but a little bit of rumbling in Virginia and Maryland does?

ram29jackson
08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Then how come there's not a new topic created for Hurricane Irene? How come there haven't been new topics created for every time this past spring that a tornado has flattened a town or community in the US? What about the Japan earthquake? The Chile earthquake? Those didn't deserve their own topics at the time but a little bit of rumbling in Virginia and Maryland does?

ok 20 something year old , pay attention.

I just found out about this. I felt like making a topic and just found a local home vid to get it started. I dont know how big or small it was till now. I found it interesting, I have been through a few in california and felt like making a post about it. Dont over-think it. Its important to me for the moment in time and thats all that matters. Capiche ? ..most people think an entire site devoted to video game is childish silliness...

baseballplyrmvp
08-23-2011, 08:43 PM
my dad was on the 520 floating bridge over lake washington, at the time that the earthquake happened in feb 2001, near seattle. he said that was the weirdest thing he's ever witnessed as he could see the "waves" of the earthquake going through the rest of the land, from his view point while on the bridge.

i remember sitting on my couch, playing paper mario on n64 at the time and it was weird actually feeling the up and down motion, from the waves of the earthquake. thats something i will never forget.

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
ok 20 something year old , pay attention.

I just found out about this. I felt like making a topic and just found a local home vid to get it started. I dont know how big or small it was till now. I found it interesting, I have been through a few in california and felt like making a post about it. Dont over-think it. Its important to me for the moment in time and thats all that matters. Capiche ? ..most people think an entire site devoted to video game is childish silliness...

Jesus Christ you give me a fucking headache. :fp:

Nothingface
08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
this topic took a swerve.

SmoothPancakes
08-23-2011, 09:53 PM
this topic took a swerve.

It was pretty straightforward, until one of the admins took all the earthquake posts out of the Anything thread, and merged them into this thread. Now it looks all effed up. :D

ram29jackson
08-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Jesus Christ you give me a fucking headache. :fp:

you should really cut out the spicy food ( smileys arent working for me )

I OU a Beatn
08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Ram, Smooth...don't make me put you two in the corner!

Anyway, I had my first day of college yesterday and thanks to the quake, I'm sure I made myself look like a fucking dumb ass. I was sitting in my car eating in the university parking lot just waiting for my next class. The back of my car starts bouncing up and down subtly like someone is pushing on it. I stick my arm out the window to see if the wind is blowing, and it wasn't. It kept doing it for a good 30 seconds so I actually got out to see if someone was fucking with me. I look under my car and nothing. I get up and some girl sitting on her car next to me is looking at me like I'm the biggest retard she's ever seen.

I didn't find out it was an earthquake until like 30 minutes later when I heard it on the radio and put two and two together. Weird shit.

Nothingface
08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Ram, Smooth...don't make me put you two in the corner!

Anyway, I had my first day of college yesterday and thanks to the quake, I'm sure I made myself look like a fucking dumb ass. I was sitting in my car eating in the university parking lot just waiting for my next class. The back of my car starts bouncing up and down subtly like someone is pushing on it. I stick my arm out the window to see if the wind is blowing, and it wasn't. It kept doing it for a good 30 seconds so I actually got out to see if someone was fucking with me. I look under my car and nothing. I get up and some girl sitting on her car next to me is looking at me like I'm the biggest retard she's ever seen.

I didn't find out it was an earthquake until like 30 minutes later when I heard it on the radio and put two and two together. Weird shit.

That earthquake was just being a jerk. Try to get past it man. We here for ya.

I OU a Beatn
08-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I know. Luckily I shook it off and just went on with my day. :D :P

NatureBoy
08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I didn't feel anything but people in the next town over felt it here in SC. Earthquake yesterday, Hurricane Irene should be here by Saturday. It's going to be a week to remember, that's for sure.

psusnoop
08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
I didn't feel anything but people in the next town over felt it here in SC. Earthquake yesterday, Hurricane Irene should be here by Saturday. It's going to be a week to remember, that's for sure.

No kidding, u live close to the shore?

JeffHCross
08-24-2011, 08:58 PM
No kidding, u live close to the shore?It doesn't really matter, with the path that thing is looking to take.

NatureBoy
08-24-2011, 09:01 PM
No kidding, u live close to the shore? No, thank goodness but we always get a ton of rain and wind from them. They can also spawn tornados, which worries me the most.

psusnoop
08-24-2011, 10:10 PM
No, thank goodness but we always get a ton of rain and wind from them. They can also spawn tornados, which worries me the most.

Let's hope just rain!! No other excitement needed. Stay dry and safe.